PDA

View Full Version : Tom's 2nd mock draft with descriptions

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Here is my updated mock, with a little explanation for each pick. Love to hear all your feedback.

1. Carolina (2-14) BLAINE GABBERT QB - MIZZ
They need a QB and have said they aren't in love with any of the D line prospects. I think when all is said and done Gabbert is higher on their board than Newton. When Andrew Luck went back to school he screwed Carolina Hard as there is no player worth the pick here. I think Peterson is the best player in the draft and would take him here. I know you can throw away from corners but if you draft Gabbert and he sucks you set your franchise back 3-5 years.

2. Denver (4-12) MARCELL DAREUS DT/DE - ALABAMA
I would take Fairley here but Dareus seems to be rising with a great combine.

3. Buffalo (4-12) PATRICK PETERSON CB - LSU
This is purely BPA, Peterson is an amazing player who performed week in week out in the SEC and watching him at the combine only confirmed his elite status to me.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) JULIO JONES WR - ALABAMA
I do think Carson Palmer is done in Cincy but I do not see them taking Newton here. With TO and Chad [insert surname here] leaving they could do with a receiver and Jones just destroyed the combine.

5. Arizona (5-11) VON MILLER OLB - TEXAS A&M
The only reason I am scared of this pick is that it makes too much sense and therefore means it wont happen on draft day. Von Miller is a stud and will be a fine addition to a very underrated Arizona D.

6. Cleveland (5-11) AJ GREEN WR - GEORGIA
Now the Browns need a DE but I can just see Colt Mccoy jumping up and down begging for this pick. Rumours are Green is a dead cert prospect…however 1st round WR have an unhealthy habit of busting. The Browns will be be hoping they are getting Megatron and not Troy Williamson.

7. San Francisco (6-10) PRINCE AMUKAMURA CB - NEBRASKA
There is no doubt in my mind that a QB goes early in this draft to the niners but I think it will be Ponder or Dalton in the 2nd. CB is a giant need and either Harris or Amukamura would be great picks - I think Harris is a better pick after his combine but Amukamura is rated higher by most so I will stick him here.

8. Tennessee (6-10) NICK FAIRLEY DT - AUBURN
Getting Fairley at 8 is a steal. All this crap about him being dirty is overblown he plays hard, go watch the big games Auburn played last year…he was huge…I would go as far as saying he was as important to Auburn as Scam "hype train" Newton.

9. Dallas (6-10) JJ WATT DT/DE - WISCONSIN
I had Dareus in my last mock, same story different player. A physical 5 tech for Dallas is a need and right now JJ Watt seems to be higher than Charlie Sheen.

10. Washington (6-10) CAM NEWTON QB - AUBURN
Something just tells me he won't last this long but if you combine Mike Shanahan and Dan Synder you have the ability and the will to trade up and get him. I think Newton needs more work than Tebow did last year as he has just 14 starts in FBS and made less than 50 "proper" NFL throws. But he can run the bootleg and there is no doubt he possesses a rocket launcher for an arm.

11. Houston (6-10) ROBERT QUINN DE - NORTH CAROLINA
As a Colts fan watching the Texans blow any chance of making the playoffs in 2011 by switching to the 3-4 is hilarious. They need a NT but Phil Taylor is not number 11 overall material. Mario Williams will likely move between 5 tech and OLB but add Robert Quinn to the mix and you a heck of a pass rush.

12. Minnesota (6-10) DA'QUAN BOWERS DE - CLEMSON
I don’t think he will fall all this way but after the Browns he just didn't fit anywhere. If he gets past the Titans I could see Dallas opening up the phonelines for a trade.

13. Detroit (6-10) TYRON SMITH OT - USC
Matt Stafford must wonder what he has done to piss off the lions organisation. 2 shoulder operations in 2 years starts making me think of chad pennington. They need to protect Stafford's blindside and Tyron Smith is the consensus number 1 OT.

14. St. Louis (7-9) CAMERON JORDAN DE/DT - CAL
This pick makes too much sense to me. Spagnuolo loves versatile lineman like he had in NY. Jordan can play the end opposite Chris Long and then shift inside on passing downs ala Justin tuck.

15. Miami (7-9) MARK INGRAM RB - ALABAMA
Another pick that makes too much sense. If the dolphins can run the ball and their defense can play to the same level as last year they only need Henne to pass the ball 15 times a game….like mark sanchez... they could make the playoffs.

16. Jacksonville (8-8) RYAN KERRIGAN DE - PURDUE
We all know Jacksonville likes safe players or at least has done so the last few drafts. I can't see Kerrigan being a double digit sack artist but he should be solid and fits the bill for the Jags.

17. New England - from Oakland (8-8) ALDON SMITH DE/OLB - MIZZ
Well well well this seems like a match made in heaven, a 260-270 OLB who can rush the passer. He fits the Pats prototype and can certainly rush the passer, he is raw but has a tonne of upside.

18. San Diego (9-7) CAMERON HEYWARD DE - OHIO STATE
The bolts need a 5 tech and Heyward is the best one on the board. Part of me thinks they will be expecting him to be here and will take no time in putting the pick in.

19. New York Giants (10-6) GABE CARIMI OT - WISCONSIN
Martez wilson will be looked at here. But Carimi is a great run blocker and will be able to open holes for the giants for the next 10 years.

20. Tampa Bay (10-6) ADRIAN CLAYBORN DE - IOWA
If you can find a website that says the Bucs don’t like Clayborn please show me.

21. Kansas City* (10-6) MARTEZ WILSON LB - ILLINOIS
I just don't see the Chiefs taking Phil Taylor as he was not a team captain and has character concerns. Martez wilson took a stab wound to protect a team mate and was a team captain…much more sense. He can also play ILB and OLB. I know I am higher than most on this guy but i do think he is 1st round talent.

22. Indianapolis* (10-6) DEREK SHERROD OT - MISS STATE Peyton Manning has an uncanny ability to make awful OTs look good. But he really really needs a decent LT. Sherrod has played in the SEC at LT and can start from day 1. Plus the Colts are very high on him and he isn’t the leaky sieve that Nate Solder is.

23. Philadelphia* (10-6) NATE SOLDER OT - COLORADO
I just don’t see what all the fuss is about but the Eagles need a tackle and he is the best player left. Huge boom or bust pick IMO.

24. New Orleans* (11-5) AKEEM AYERS OLB - UCLA
This pick could be Justin houston or Correy Liuget. Ayers had a pretty shoddy combine but he makes plays and the saints need LB help.

25. Seattle* (7-9) BRANDON HARRIS CB - MIAMI Daylight robbery getting him this late but it fills a huge need.

26. Baltimore* (12-4) JIMMY SMITH CB - COLORADO
The secondary needs help, more specifically a stud CB would continue to keep the defensive unit at the top of the league. Titus young would also be an interesting choice here.

27. Atlanta* (13-3) JUSTIN HOUSTON OLB - GEORGIA
Isnt it amazing how one day in Indy can turn you from the next best OLB to simply a DE who cant drop into coverage at all. Anyway help with the pass rush is needed and this picks kinda works. I still like Kyle Rudolph here.

28. New England* (14-2) ANTHONY CASTONZO OT - BOSTON COLLEGE
The Pats will take a DE, OT and OLB with there top 3 picks. OT tick.

29. Chicago* (11-5) MIKE POUNCEY G - FLORIDA
Even if Jay Cutler is a massive cry baby his line needs help as it is pretty tough to throw the ball when you have 300 pound DTs drapped all over you (unless you are Big Ben). Mike Tice did a great job last year with what he had but the line needs a serious talent infusion.

30. New York Jets* (11-5) JON BALDWIN WR - PITT
If the draft fell like this I cannot see the Jets picking here. This is a case of BPA. Mark Sanchez needs every last bit of help he can get and Baldwin has all the tools. Maybe joining a team with the sheer arrogance of the jets will invigorate him.

31. Pittsburgh* (12-4) PHIL TAYLOR NT - BAYLOR
He has to go somewhere in the 1st and this is the best fit in my eyes. He can play a year behind Casey Hampton then take over the year after.

32. Green Bay* (10-6) BROOKS REED OLB - ARIZONA
Being the best team in the NFL with about 1059 players on IR means you can take the BPA. Brooks Reed has long hair and could join Clay and AJ. If anyone drops to 32 who should have gone in the 20s he will be looked at long and hard.

AkiliSmith
03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
4 is too high for Julio. Green is clearly the better WR. That being said, Fairley or Bowers are better picks than either of them for the Bengals.

Matthew Jones
03-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Nice Patriots draft. I might rather have Heyward than Aldon though, it's close.

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
4 is too high for Julio. Green is clearly the better WR. That being said, Fairley or Bowers are better picks than either of them for the Bengals.

I agree with this and I would take Fairley. However I think that the bengals go offense with this pick and that means it boils down to a QB or one of the 2 elite WR prospects. After Julio's combine i think a lot of teams will have him and AJ as 1a and 1b and i DO NOT see 4 as too high for Julio. I would take AJ but thought I would put Julio here as I could see it happening.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
never really thought about Wilson as a possibility for the Chiefs. you have Pioli's criteria correct. High motor, high character, team captain and great athlete are the thing he wants. the versatility of being able to play inside and outside help him. running a 4.49x40 makes him an interesting prospect. especially at his size. i had always just thought of him as a 43 Sam.

GoRavens
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
jimmy smith is straight gangsta

killxswitch
03-10-2011, 08:33 AM
With Carimi gone I like Sherrod as the pick for the Colts. Gabbert at #1 overall seems suspect. Quinn and Bowers falling out of the top 10 is also a little surprising.

49erNation85
03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Just an OK pick for SF we need a top CB any how.

prock
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
That would be neat if Bowers fell all the way to 12.

DiG
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
10. Washington (6-10) CAM NEWTON QB - AUBURN
Something just tells me he won't last this long but if you combine Mike Shanahan and Dan Synder you have the ability and the will to trade up and get him. I think Newton needs more work than Tebow did last year as he has just 14 starts in FBS and made less than 50 "proper" NFL throws. But he can run the bootleg and there is no doubt he possesses a rocket launcher for an arm.

Based on who is avaialble, I'm cool with the Skins taking Newton at 10 but it should be known that the skins cannot and will not trade up. Theres no way we can afford it considering you cant trade players and we already are without a 3rd and 4th round pick.

thebow305
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Great Miami pick and explantation.

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Based on who is avaialble, I'm cool with the Skins taking Newton at 10 but it should be known that the skins cannot and will not trade up. Theres no way we can afford it considering you cant trade players and we already are without a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Never underestimate Mr Snyder. I have only been following the NFL for 4-5 years and have seen him do things that everyone said he "cannot and will not". Out of interest would you rather have Newton or Gabbert?

J-Mike88
03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Love to hear all your feedback.

32. Green Bay* (10-6) BROOKS REED OLB - ARIZONA
Being the best team in the NFL with about 1059 players on IR means you can take the BPA. Brooks Reed has long hair and could join Clay and AJ. If anyone drops to 32 who should have gone in the 20s he will be looked at long and hard.
I like it, well done.
He definitely fits the mold for Ted Thompson picks and a Packer player, and he would appear to be a major upgrade over Brad Jones, Frank Zombo, and Eric Walden, who all manned that ROLB position opposite Clay.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that Capers, McCarthy, and Thompson feel fine with that trio of players battling it out, and OLB will once again be ignored high in the draft, if not all together in the draft. Last year, everyone expected us to take one HIGH, and they never once took one, believing Brad Jones was good.

Then he gets hurt early, and 2 no-name undrafted or street guys, Zombo and Walden, filled in and got the job done alright, so I'd be surprised, but happy with this pick.

We do well with Pac-10/West coast players!

Monomach
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
29. Chicago* (11-5) MIKE POUNCEY G - FLORIDA
Even if Jay Cutler is a massive cry baby his line needs help as it is pretty tough to throw the ball when you have 300 pound DTs drapped all over you (unless you are Big Ben). Mike Tice did a great job last year with what he had but the line needs a serious talent infusion.

Die in a fire.

akvikefan89
03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Bowers at #12 is cool with me.

jrdrylie
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Absolutely hate the Pouncey pick. While I think he will probably be drafted in the first round, it will likely be more because his brother is awesome. With all the top OTs gone, I don't know who I would pick, but I am certain it would not be Pouncey.

Don Vito
03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Aldon Smith and Castonzo would be nice for the Pats.

wicket
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a problem with ayers where i still ahvent foudn an answer for. I have no idea how that guy is still considered a first rounder, his film isnt worth it and everybody validated it on him being a workout warrior, well he clearly wasnt. Basically im trying to say, good position for an early pick for the saints but I HATE the value

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Absolutely hate the Pouncey pick. While I think he will probably be drafted in the first round, it will likely be more because his brother is awesome. With all the top OTs gone, I don't know who I would pick, but I am certain it would not be Pouncey.

Surely you agree you need O-line help. I think Pouncey can be an elite G but if you dont like that then an OT or C? I seriously considered Ijialana here as well. The main priority has to be keeping Cutler upright.

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Die in a fire.

Very constructive. If you don't like the pick can you please explain why and who you would want?

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a problem with ayers where i still ahvent foudn an answer for. I have no idea how that guy is still considered a first rounder, his film isnt worth it and everybody validated it on him being a workout warrior, well he clearly wasnt. Basically im trying to say, good position for an early pick for the saints but I HATE the value

I think his film is great. Makes plays rushing the QB, in the run game and in pass D. The other pick i considered was a DT to pair with Ellis.

Tom Hagger
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Bowers at #12 is cool with me.

This would be a dream for the Vikes. You have to hope teams get turned off with his 1 year of production and his gammy knee.

DiG
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Never underestimate Mr Snyder. I have only been following the NFL for 4-5 years and have seen him do things that everyone said he "cannot and will not". Out of interest would you rather have Newton or Gabbert?

newton for sure but im not sold yet that i wouldnt wanted locker over both. definitely locker over gabbert but ive got newton and locker ranked very close. and im not at all trying to underestimate snyder but shanahan and bruce allen will not be trading up for a qb. without a 3rd or 4th round pick theres no way we can give up our 2nd rounder to move up considering the number of needs we have. theres a much higher chance we trade down than up. MUCH HIGHER>