PDA

View Full Version : Shot put & Discus

The_Dude
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Alright gang, I am coaching middle school track & field for the first time & i was given the task of being in charge of the shot & discus. I have never thrown either before & I am researching/practicing before our season starts.

Has anyone participated in these events before? I am looking for some pointers/tips for instruction and good practices for these events.

Keep in mind that this is middle school, so it doesn't have to be too elaborate.

Thanks.

Jvig43
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
In middle school they should just be focusing on form and technique so I'd watch some videos demonstrating the correct and in correct ways to throw. I took a coaching track and field course (plus ran track for like 7 years) so if you need any pointers I could try to help you out.

B-Dawk
03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
for disc i would probably just focus on getting the release down, do things like bowling between two people

CJSchneider
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
In middle school they should just be focusing on form and technique so I'd watch some videos demonstrating the correct and in correct ways to throw. I took a coaching track and field course (plus ran track for like 7 years) so if you need any pointers I could try to help you out.

I could not agree more. Keep kids from thinking they can throw the shot put around any kind of way and not feel the negative effects later. Also. you are dealing with heavy projectiles - become "Mr. Safety".

Bosanac01
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I would say focus on their leg movement and how to push through the hips for maximum power.

niel89
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Safety is a priority. Make sure they understand how to be safe when throwing. Teach them good fundamentals and form first and foremost. The kids that want more instruction and to get serious will come to you. Make sure that its a fun environment and that kids want to be there.

yo123
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, throw with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion.

bantx
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
In middle school most kids did the shuffle instead of the spin. How to hold it and the release, form, hips, and explosiveness. But some was taught the spin when I was in middle school.