PDA

View Full Version : The Strength of this Years OL Class

JohnCandy
03-10-2011, 01:44 PM
The OT debate this year is probably the most debated group I have seen in some time. No one can agree on who the 1st round OTs are and what everyone elses value is.

I am predicting that the strength of this drafts OL talent is in the 2nd round OG talent.

Marcus Cannon
Clint Boling
Ben Ijalana
Orlando Franklin
Danny Watkins
Rodney Hudson
James Carpenter

I think that this group for the value is far more solid then taking one of the OTs early.

killxswitch
03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
What about Pouncey? Or do you think he is a first rounder?

Babylon
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
The OT debate this year is probably the most debated group I have seen in some time. No one can agree on who the 1st round OTs are and what everyone elses value is.

I am predicting that the strength of this drafts OL talent is in the 2nd round OG talent.

Marcus Cannon
Clint Boling
Ben Ijalana
Orlando Franklin
Danny Watkins
Rodney Hudson
James Carpenter

I think that this group for the value is far more solid then taking one of the OTs early.

I think you make a good point about where the value is and i would take that a step further and say that after the top 20 players there is value in the latter part of round 1 too. I've seen some mocks that have guys like Gabe Carimi and Anthony Castonzo coming off the board somewhere from pick 25 on, that is great value to me for those two.

JohnCandy
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
What about Pouncey? Or do you think he is a first rounder?

I think most publications have him as a 1st round pick.

If you said pick Costanzo or Sherrod at 22, or take Boling or Watkins at 54 as long as I am not desperate at LT I will wait.

Dam8610
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Am I the only one who see Cannon as a LT prospect? The tape I've watched of him and the way he showed at the combine suggest he has everything necessary to play LT at the next level, and I've seen a few scouts say the same thing. Obviously I think his best starting spot would be OG, but he's a guy I could see at LT within a season.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one who see Cannon as a LT prospect? The tape I've watched of him and the way he showed at the combine suggest he has everything necessary to play LT at the next level, and I've seen a few scouts say the same thing. Obviously I think his best starting spot would be OG, but he's a guy I could see at LT within a season.

When you show up at the combine at 258lbs and played the season at 270lbs., teams understand that you are not a person who has any commitment to staying in shape. At 358lbs. he will only function at full speed for half a game and will literally be sitting on the bench for the other half.
Nobody can deny that he has tremendous physical talent but you cannot survive at the next level without being in shape.
At the combine you can look good because you are only asked to function in short drills but that doesn't fool scouts. He will be get drafted in round 3 because he is out of shape. If he ever commits to being a pro by understanding what his responsibilities are, he could end up an All-Pro, however, time and time again, this type of prospect never finds the commitment to reach his potential and becomes at best a backup part timer.

Dam8610
03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
When you show up at the combine at 258lbs and played the season at 270lbs., teams understand that you are not a person who has any commitment to staying in shape. At 358lbs. he will only function at full speed for half a game and will literally be sitting on the bench for the other half.
Nobody can deny that he has tremendous physical talent but you cannot survive at the next level without being in shape.
At the combine you can look good because you are only asked to function in short drills but that doesn't fool scouts. He will be get drafted in round 3 because he is out of shape. If he ever commits to being a pro by understanding what his responsibilities are, he could end up an All-Pro, however, time and time again, this type of prospect never finds the commitment to reach his potential and becomes at best a backup part timer.

I would agree, but he was the most well put together 358 I've ever seen. He didn't look like he was carrying a ton of weight that was just extra weight, and if that was the case, I'd be right on board with you. My thing is at 358, he had the same long jump as Castonzo, meaning he has far more leg explosion, he showed all the movement skill of the top OT prospects, and he ran a very similar time and 10 yard split to all of them. If a team thinks he's not committed to being in shape, put workout and weight bonus clauses in his contract, that's simply a matter of getting in an NFL strength and conditioning program. That said, IMO in shorts and pads he looked effective at whatever weight he was.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
You can't say he has stamina issues because of his weight. It's like the same people that think everyone wit ha big arm is inaccurate.

Terrible terrible logic, if you want to say he has stamina issues, base it on real film, you aren't even backing up your logic, just saying that since he is so heavy he MUST have stamina issues.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I would agree, but he was the most well put together 358 I've ever seen. He didn't look like he was carrying a ton of weight that was just extra weight, and if that was the case, I'd be right on board with you. My thing is at 358, he had the same long jump as Castonzo, meaning he has far more leg explosion, he showed all the movement skill of the top OT prospects, and he ran a very similar time and 10 yard split to all of them. If a team thinks he's not committed to being in shape, put workout and weight bonus clauses in his contract, that's simply a matter of getting in an NFL strength and conditioning program. That said, IMO in shorts and pads he looked effective at whatever weight he was.

I would agree except, past experience suggests very few of these types ever make any kind of commitment to stay in shape.
As I said, nobody is questioning this guys overall physical talent, he's got it all but without any commitment to getting in shape, he'll only be a mediocre player. If somebody can turn on the light, you'll have a star but as I said, these types rarely change at the next level no matter who is their coaches. It's a huge gamble and I think you'll see him go round 3 as a project because right now that is all he is.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
You can't say he has stamina issues because of his weight. It's like the same people that think everyone wit ha big arm is inaccurate.

Terrible terrible logic, if you want to say he has stamina issues, base it on real film, you aren't even backing up your logic, just saying that since he is so heavy he MUST have stamina issues.

I've seen this type of prospect come through the draft for over 50 years and few ever pan out. He played as a senior at 370lbs., it may work in college but at the pro level, he'll never get by with that kind of commitment.

SteelCity
03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I thought Ben Ijalana was seen as more of a OT prospect?

A Perfect Score
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I've seen this type of prospect come through the draft for over 50 years and few ever pan out. He played as a senior at 370lbs., it may work in college but at the pro level, he'll never get by with that kind of commitment.

If you've been watching the NFL draft for 50 years, how ******* old are you?