PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Reed: Workout Warrior?

Matthew Jones
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Ever since the Senior Bowl and Combine, Brooks Reed has been flying up everyone's draft board, and rightfully so given his outstanding performances at both. What I don't get is people calling Reed an overachiever, gamer, etc. In college, this guy wasn't even considered the premier pass rusher on his own team - Ricky Elmore is currently being projected as a mid-to-late round pick. Reed was never super productive in college - last season he posted 10 TFL and 6.5 sacks to finish school with a total of 17 sacks in 46 games. What do you guys think? Is Reed currently ranked so high because of his production in college, or because he lit up a postseason All-Star game and the Underwear Olympics?

Babylon
03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
^
Came on pretty good this year with 7 sacks so there is some production there as well as great workout numbers. Obvious comparisons to Clay Matthews but he's bigger than Clay was coming out and just as fast. Doesnt have Matthews lateral movement but i wouldnt say he's someone that just looks good in shorts.

I expect Reed could get a call as early as the #33 pick to New England and wont be waiting around too long after that to hear his name called.

Razor
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I think Brooks Reed is benefitting a lot from Clay Mathews. Most people (including me) didn't think that Clay Mathews would ever be a factor in the NFL. Brooks Reed is very similar to Mathews. However, he has admitted to having little or no insight into what other defenders are supposed to do or different schemes. I don't know how exactly to put it, but he's a guy that I'm afraid to pass on and afraid to spend a pick on.

PossibleCabbage
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
I expect Reed could get a call as early as the #33 pick to New England and wont be waiting around too long after that to hear his name called.

If he can go at #33, why can't he go at #32? The Packers also have a hole at OLB to fill.

TNPatsFan
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I like the guy and all, but this talk of him going in the first or going at 33 is way too high. He should be a third, at best late second, round pick in my humble opinion.

bitonti
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
why call him a workout warrior when he dominated Sherrod in drills during practice and Solder in the game? that was football not workouts.

superpack84
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I watched both of them and I like Reed more. He seemed to give his all on almost every play.

Babylon
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
If he can go at #33, why can't he go at #32? The Packers also have a hole at OLB to fill.

I dont see the Packers going for an olb that early but i'll take your word for it. I was looking at teams like Chicago, NY Jets and Pittsburgh and didnt see him going there.

Isnt every player somehow targeted to go to the Pats?

thegreatone
03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
He has a Clay Mathews type motor and is already a more a polished pass-rusher. I would take him in the 1st round tbh.

ellsy82
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, his KEI scores were tops among projected 3-4 outside linebackers. That shows extreme explosiveness. Now, he showed up a little shorter and lighter than Woodley, who some viewed as a 4-3 DE only due to his weight (270 lbs?), has the same kind of measurables and combine performance. Clay showed up for training camp at 240 lbs.

Reed has a high motor and an adequate variety of pass-rush moves. He'll probably get drafted around the same time Woodley was drafted (mid-second). Although, some teams might view him as a Woodley clone, and take a chance that he'll become a future pro bowler, perhaps reaching a bit for him. The Cardinals could very well take him with their early 2nd round pick.

PossibleCabbage
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I dont see the Packers going for an olb that early but i'll take your word for it. I was looking at teams like Chicago, NY Jets and Pittsburgh and didnt see him going there.

OLB is the Packers biggest hole, IMO. Eric Walden, Brad Jones, and Frank Zombo are only backup calibre players.

GB12
03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't get it. Non-Packer fans don't think we'll take an OLB early, but they love to mock us DEs and RBs. Doesn't make any sense.

GoRavens
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
there's a fine difference between a "workout warrior" and a "beast"
- a workout warrior is only good at lifting weights. Their big, cut up, stiff, unathletic, and usually very one dimensional.
- a beast is someone who never gives up, someone who trains like a monster, and someone who has the intelligence and work ethic to learn schemes and refine their technique. Clay Matthews is a beast, Vernon Gholston is a workout warrior.

ellsy82
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
there's a fine difference between a "workout warrior" and a "beast"
- a workout warrior is only good at lifting weights. Their big, cut up, stiff, unathletic, and usually very one dimensional.
- a beast is someone who never gives up, someone who trains like a monster, and someone who has the intelligence and work ethic to learn schemes and refine their technique. Clay Matthews is a beast, Vernon Gholston is a workout warrior.

^

Agrees with the Ratbird.

Sportsfan486
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM

As has been mentioned, OLB is our most glaring need (which still isn't all that glaring but heh.)

Matthews didn't put up amazing stats in college and it scared people.. now Brook Reeds looks like a similar type of player and people are jumping on him. I think it really depends where he lands. Matthews landed with a premiere defensive coordinator and an amazing position coach in Kevin Greene (ask any Packers fan about the job he's done with that LBer group and you'll find lots of man-love.) They really worked with him and improved him as a football player.. but then again, he came in with a fire to learn and be great.

Does Reed have that same fire? Will he land in as perfect a spot? I'm hoping he does and lands in Green Bay.

PossibleCabbage
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't get it. Non-Packer fans don't think we'll take an OLB early, but they love to mock us DEs and RBs. Doesn't make any sense.

It's just classic mock-drafter-itis. Almost nobody has the time to really know enough about 32 teams to draft for all of them, so any sort of mental shortcut is valued by a lot of the people who write mocks. "Cullen Jenkins is leaving via Free Agency" -> "Packers need a DE" and "Once Ryan Grant got hurt, the Packers couldn't run the ball" -> "Packers need an RB." These sorts of things propagate, since there's a lot of copycat mock drafters.

But the problem is when people don't ask the followup questions, they miss the reasons why these things aren't true like "they already drafted Jenkins' replacement last year" and "Ryan Grant is already fully healed."

superpack84
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
It's just classic mock-drafter-itis. Almost nobody has the time to really know enough about 32 teams to draft for all of them, so any sort of mental shortcut is valued by a lot of the people who write mocks. "Cullen Jenkins is leaving via Free Agency" -> "Packers need a DE" and "Once Ryan Grant got hurt, the Packers couldn't run the ball" -> "Packers need an RB." These sorts of things propagate, since there's a lot of copycat mock drafters.

But the problem is when people don't ask the followup questions, they miss the reasons why these things aren't true like "they already drafted Jenkins' replacement last year" and "Ryan Grant is already fully healed."

About the Jenkins part. Most people forget that the Packers drafted Neal in the 2nd round last year and showed some nice skills before landing on IR. I think Neal will end up being the starter to replace Jenkins. Packers may need depth at the spot, but they can find it after round 1. Only if there aren't any good 3-4 ends that are must haves being there when the Packers do pick.

Sportsfan486
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
About the Jenkins part. Most people forget that the Packers drafted Neal in the 2nd round last year and showed some nice skills before landing on IR. I think Neal will end up being the starter to replace Jenkins. Packers may need depth at the spot, but they can find it after round 1. Only if there aren't any good 3-4 ends that are must haves being there when the Packers do pick.

And we have Jolly coming back who was nearly as good as Jenkins, although we'll have to see how he looks. And it's not even a sure-thing we lose Jenkins and we likely won't know until after the draft.

Do you really spend a 1st rounder on a position you could have 4 starter worthy players fighting for 2 spots? Worst case 3 starter worthy players fighting for 2 spots? It's silly. If we draft a 3-4 DE in the first 3 rounds I'll be shocked.

PossibleCabbage
03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
If we draft a 3-4 DE in the first 3 rounds I'll be shocked.

I wouldn't be entirely, because Ted Thompson likes to draft big guys so if there's a guy on his board he's really high on, he'll pull the trigger. What he won't do is reach for one of the lower tier DEs to fill a need, however. So, he wouldn't take long to fill out the card for Watt but I sincerely doubt Ballard would be the pick.

Adding to the reasons "Packers won't take a DE" is that they played with 2 down defensive linemen 75% of the season last year, and that resulted in the #1 ranked pass defense and a championship. So if they continue to use the nickel as their based defense, and Raji continues to never leave the game, there's really only one more starting DL spot.

GB12
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
And we have Jolly coming back who was nearly as good as Jenkins, although we'll have to see how he looks. And it's not even a sure-thing we lose Jenkins and we likely won't know until after the draft.

Do you really spend a 1st rounder on a position you could have 4 starter worthy players fighting for 2 spots? Worst case 3 starter worthy players fighting for 2 spots? It's silly. If we draft a 3-4 DE in the first 3 rounds I'll be shocked.No. Not even close. Jolly was very good in 2009, more than a solid starter, but a healthy Jenkins is one of the top 3-4 DEs in the game. I definitely think we can get by just fine with out Jenkins, but none of his replacements come close to him.

87Canes
03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Brooks Reed is HIGHLY overrated. He's lightyears behind the top 3 OLBs in Miller, Houston and Kerrigan.

thegreatone
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Brooks Reed is HIGHLY overrated. He's lightyears behind the top 3 OLBs in Miller, Houston and Kerrigan.
I'd much rather take Reed over Kerrigan if I'm looking strictly at 3-4 OLB.

SenorGato
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Lamaar Woodley without the hype, though obviously Woodley was worth the hype.

ElectricEye
03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
He dealt with some nagging injuries throughout college from what I understand and still showed up on tape when I went watched him. The numbers aren't elite; but they certainly aren't poor either. He's a natural fit at OLB with his fluidity and ability to play in space. Combine that with the workout numbers and relentlessness that's so attractive and you have his stock.

Just remember I was on the hype train with Shane first ;)

ellsy82
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Lamaar Woodley without the hype, though obviously Woodley was worth the hype.

Haha. I like that. I too remember him being a bit 'overhyped' before the draft that year. Hindsight 20/20 eh?

MaybeDavis
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Has anyone here a link were i can watch some game tape of Reed? On Youtube I couldnt find him since I've heard of him 3 months ago. I just read some really good stuff about him and saw him at the Senior Bowl and Combine. But no Game tapes... And do u know where the "Prospect Video thread" is? Last year there was a good thread with many Prospect video's and link's.

Thanks for the help

no bare feet
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/search.php
www.youtube.com

batsandgats
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Has anyone here a link were i can watch some game tape of Reed? On Youtube I couldnt find him since I've heard of him 3 months ago. I just read some really good stuff about him and saw him at the Senior Bowl and Combine. But no Game tapes... And do u know where the "Prospect Video thread" is? Last year there was a good thread with many Prospect video's and link's.

Thanks for the help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32KAqii4lrk

Babylon
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Hell just keep him in the red white and blue and play for the Pats.

wogitalia
03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
He compares far more with Woodley than Matthews, still a hell of a player to be compared to.

The reason though is that Reed has tested and showed that he has all the athletic ability needed to play as a 3-4 OLB and with half the league running 3-4s and nearly every one of those team in need of at least one OLB he has great demand. He may be the top 3-4 OLB prospect with Miller having some concerns. Reed showed the ability to rush the passer and has since shown everything else at the Senior Bowl and Combine that could be asked.

Elmore is being hurt by being almost purely a 4-3 DE that is probably undersized in a draft that is absolutely loaded at that position with freaks and is the kind of guy that has struggled a bit, almost a tweener, not a big power guy, not a speed guy so will have to get by with technique.

nepg
03-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Brooks Reed has good footballs.

jetsfan0099
03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Well the Jets are in desperate need for a pass rusher at OLB, the OLBs on this team are old. Calvin Pace is 30 years old, Bryan Thomas is 31. We need more speed and youth at the position. Brooks Reed has 4.6 speed, the issue I have with him is hes already 24 years old.
Still I wouldn't be against drafting him at #30.

bucfan12
03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't think he's just a workout warrior. He is just an underrated prospect coming out of Arizona, which isn't known for producing top football talent in the past. He showed how good he was by having an impressive Senior Bowl and is the pro typical 3-4 OLB. Many analysts feel he won't get past Green Bay at 32, and thats if the Pats don't take him at 28 or Jets at 30.

smokeys24
10-13-2011, 03:26 AM
It would be nice to see a game by game stats of Brooks Reed's tackles and sacks from last year. It seemed like he really came on towards the end of the season as he developed into his position.

prock
10-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Speaking of, how has he looked this year?

Shane P. Hallam
10-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Hasn't played much yet, but that is about to change with Mario out for the year...

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 06:59 AM
He looked really good in preseason.

niel89
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
It would be nice to see a game by game stats of Brooks Reed's tackles and sacks from last year. It seemed like he really came on towards the end of the season as he developed into his position.

Not perfect but its an alright site

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/29/1000163/tackle/gamelog.html