PDA

View Full Version : Mock Me Amadeus!

Mr.Regular
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I haven't been posting too many of my mocks on here this year since I've been writing a bit for another site, but I don't get too much direct feedback from over there... so I wanted to see what you guys thought. Constructive criticism always welcomed. Fire away!

1) Carolina- Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
The whispers of Cam Newton to Carolina are picking up steam right now. The team doesn't appear to be sold on Jimmy Clausen, so if they feel that there's a franchise QB in this draft class, they have to take him. Remember, Carolina doesn't pick again until round 3. It's first overall or bust most likely if the Panthers want a new signal caller.

2) Denver- Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
The Broncos are going to take the best defensive player on their board, so look for Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, or Peterson. Dareus has seemingly moved into the #1 DT spot after the combine, so Nick Fairley is likely out. Also, Bowers has not worked out yet, and remember that Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil are still on the team. Peterson is a legitimate option, but DLinemen usually get the edge over the secondary. In my opinion Dareus is probably the best player on my big board.

3) Buffalo- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The two players I wanted to give Buffalo were taken right in front of them, so I have to go to plan C. Bowers and Fairley aren't the best fits in this defense, and even though Von Miller's stock is hot right now, I'm not ready to see him in the top 3. Blaine Gabbert was considered, but if Peterson is still available, it'll be hard to pass on him. He's may be the most talented player in this draft class, and is #1 on most people's boards.

4) Cincinnati- AJ Green, WR, Georgia
There are three options I considered here: Green, Bowers, and Gabbert. I decided to go offense, because with or with out Carson Palmer on the roster, that passing game is probably the teams biggest weakness. Green gets the nod for now, since receiver is an immediate need, but watch out for a QB.

5) Arizona- Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
Von Miller seems to already be on his way to Arizona; everyone has him going here in their mock draft. Pass rushers are always in demand, and Arizona is no exception. They need an OLB desperately. Miller is fast, very smart, and fits into that defense very well.

6) Cleveland- Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
I almost went Julio Jones here, but DLine is also a huge need for the Browns. They lack serious talent up front, and they're in the process of switching schemes. Grabbing an impact end would go a long way to smoothing over the move to the 4-3.

7) San Francisco- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The 49ers could look at pass rusher here, but the only good fit is Robert Quinn, and his stock seems like it's on a bit of a down swing. They also obviously need a QB, but I don't think Blaine Gabbert fits into John Harbaughs offense. Amukamara makes the most sense at this point.

8) Tennessee- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
The Titans need a QB desperately, and some have Gabbert as a top 5 value, so this is a bit of a no brainer. Gabbert apparently impressed in his interviews and should do well at his pro day. Unless the Titans want to suffer through another season of poor QB play holidng them back, getting a QB early is a must.

9) Dallas- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Fairley may not be the best fit in a 34, but I think he'd work in Dallas. He's easily the best player available, and Dallas has holes at end. No player on the offensive line or in the secondary is worth this pick.

10) Washington- Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Julio Jones destroyed the combine, all while on an injured foot. He showed he's a legitimate top 10 talent, so don't be surprised to see him go even earlier than this. The Redskins need a QB pretty badly though, so reaching for one, or moving out of this pick is a serious option. If they don't, Jones would be a nice consolation prize. His potential is sky high.

11) Houston- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
I had Robert Quinn going here, but rumor is that the Texans are looking for 5-technique help. JJ Watt fits the bill perfectly.

12) Minnesota- Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Reach? Probably. But do the Vikings really want to go with Joe Webb as their #1 QB? I don't think so. After all is said and done, the VIkings have to get a QB somehow.

13) Detroit- Tyron Smith, OT, USC
The Lions are looking for a left tackle, and Tyron Smith has moved into the #1 spot after an impressive showing at the combine.

14) St. Louis- Robert Quinn, DE, UNC
Quinn slides a bit in this mock, but with no receiver worthy of this selection, the Rams would be happy to get a DLine upgrade.

15) Miami- Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Miami fans must be bored of seeing this pick in every mock draft, but it just makes too much sense not to project.

16) Jacksonville- Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
Kerrigan fits in well with the Jaguars, and fills a huge need. Improving the pass rush is priority #1. However, the Jaguars like to surprise on draft day, so who knows what direction they go.

17) New England (from Oakland)- Cameron Jordan, DE, California
Jordan is fantastic value here, and fills a huge need. New England is likely to take the best front 7 player or offensive lineman here, and Jordan fits that description.

18) San Diego- Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
The Chargers need an upgrade at right tackle. Solder is incredibly raw and unpolished but there's no denying that potential.

19) New York Giants- Anthony Castonzo, OT, BC
I don't think William Beatty is the answer at Left Tackle, so upgrading that position is likely a high priority for the Giants.

20) Tampa Bay- Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
I think the Bucs are going to take the best available pass rusher. In this scenario, that's probably Smith.

21) Kansas City- Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
No passrusher really worth it here. Ditto probably for receiver as well. Taylor completes KC's trio of first round DLinemen.

22) Indianapolis- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
Not sure how well Carimi fits what the Colts are looking for, but he's pro ready, and an upgrade at tackle is a must.

23) Philadelphia- Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Jimmy Smith's stock is all over the place, but if he's available, the Eagles have to consider him. A talented corner across from Asante Samuel would do wonders for their defense.

24) New Orleans- Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
The Saints don't have too many needs, but DE is definitely one of them. Clayborn is good value here.

25) Seattle- Brandon Harris , CB, Miami (FL)
Seattle has a ton of needs, so they can probably go BPA here. In my opinion, that's Brandon Harris, who has fantastic cover skills. If he was taller, he'd probably go much higher.

26) Baltimore- Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
Joe Flacco needs a deep threat badly. Torrey Smith fits the bill perfectly. He's speedy, can spread the field, and would add a new dimension to the offense.

27) Atlanta- Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
The Falcons seem to be 'need' drafters, and in my opinion their biggest need is a receiver opposite of Roddy White. Baldwin is the best one left.

28) New England- Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
The Pats got an immediate starter on the DLine earlier. They get a day one starter on the OLine here.

29) Chicago- Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
Offensive line seems to be the biggest need, but a DT is also right up there. Watch out for a guy like Liuget or Muhammed Wilkerson here.

30) New York Jets- Cameron Heyward, DE, OSU
The Jets are likely to take a front 7 player in some form here, so I went with likely the best one left that fits their defense. Players like Wilkerson, Ayers, and Reed were all considered.

31) Pittsburgh- Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
A center fielder with ball skills could really allow Troy Polamalu to move around the field. As seen in SBXLV, Troy had to stay back way too much in nickel and dime defenses.

32) Green Bay- Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
If a first round caliber tackle falls to Green Bay, they'll likely take him. Finding a book end for the future to pair with Bryan Bulaga is need #1.

proshoota25
03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
very solid patriots draft. nice job

SimonRath
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
27) Atlanta- Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
The Falcons seem to be 'need' drafters, and in my opinion their biggest need is a receiver opposite of Roddy White. Baldwin is the best one left.

would absolutely love Baldwin! but TD probably thinks he to much of a headache :/

Matthew Jones
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Nice Patriots mock.

49erNation85
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I'll take the CB but I like Quinn here for SF.We could really use a new DE younger then Smith.Also why do u see his stock falling?He had an excellent combine IMO.

Seasonticketholder
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I would prefer Cameron Heyward over Adrian Clayborn for the Saints. Heyward offers more schematic versatility, which is key in a Gregg Williams' defense. Also, I think Heyward possesses the sort of intelligence/maturity/leadership qualities that the Saints coaching staff seem to like in a player.

thebow305
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
You are right sir, I am bored to tears with Ingram being mocked to Miami, but it's still a good pick.

Now I can barely see a world without Mark Ingram in a Dolphins uni, just seems meant to be I guess. I'm gonna be honest though, I think we need a QB more and wouldn't be upset with Mallett or Locker there either.

Nalej
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Lovely pats mock

asdf1223
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Seattle wont take a small corner. Its stupid but since John Schneider comes from Ron Wolf and TT's school of drafting, no small corners. We traded away Josh Wilson for a 5th rounder just because of that even though he was our second best corner and our pass defense was awful all year.

Mr.Regular
03-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the comments so far guys, appreciate it.

As for Quinn, I guess I've just been seeing many mocks recently where Quinn is falling out of the top 10. People seem to be cooling a bit on him. His combine was good, but wasn't the crazy show that we were all expecting. I think he could still go fairly high, but in that teen range might be where his stock finally settles.

As for Seattle, you're right, I should have known that since Schneider came from us in GB...duuuuh. Packers are the same way, we hate our small corners. Shame though, Harris is legit IMO.

Keep em coming everyone!

kalbears13
03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Da'Quan! Love it.

Best mock draft title yet!

GoRavens
03-11-2011, 06:03 AM
torrey smith in the 1st makes me want Japan to get hit with another tsunami

Poz51
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
3) Buffalo- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The two players I wanted to give Buffalo were taken right in front of them, so I have to go to plan C. Bowers and Fairley aren't the best fits in this defense, and even though Von Miller's stock is hot right now, I'm not ready to see him in the top 3. Blaine Gabbert was considered, but if Peterson is still available, it'll be hard to pass on him. He's may be the most talented player in this draft class, and is #1 on most people's boards..

I have the same situation unfolding in my mock for the Bills. Gabberts pro-day on the 17th will be very interesting with regards to the Bills, (especially if Newton and Dareus go 1-2 in the draft) I will be interested to see who attends from the Bills, considering most teams in the league have him #1 on the their board at QB from what I hear. Excellent analysis/nice write up for the Bills, I agree with it 100%, Peterson fits the BPA profile Nix used last year, personally I love the pick, and he is #1 overall on my board.

T-RICH49
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
great Chiefs pick

bearsfan_51
03-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Great thread title.

bruschis4all
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
very solid patriots draft. nice job

I'll second that. Give me Brooks Reed at 33. I can see you won't mind by your hopeful mock. I'd be like a kid in a candy store. Wouldn't be against getting a wr at 60. Maybe even trade us. Gasp!! I like Randall Cobb there. A developmental tackle in the 3rd. Maybe, a rb in the 4th. Or, with one our 3rd's if we don't move them to trade up or for a pick next year.

BallerT1215
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Ill take it.

vidae
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Perfect KC pick.

Brothgar
03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
If the Lions pass on Quinn for Tyron Smith I will seriously blow a gasket.

prock
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Locker is a bit of a reach, but I dig it.

monson
03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I think that if the Panthers take Cam they have a 1 in 5 shot of the top pick and luck next year. Cam will not improve them this year.

I think 28 is too early for Pouncey but assuming the Pats trade down at the top of round 2 then ok.