PDA

View Full Version : First Round Bubble Players

shylo3716
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Now that the combine has passed we all know which players are on the rise to move up in the Top 10 picks or first round of the draft. I would like to know which players are on the bubble, as far as moving out of the first into the 2nd round of the draft.

Here is who come to mind for me

Ryan Mallett
Jonathan Baldwin
Aaron Williams
Mike Pouncey

no bare feet
03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
mason bananas foster

keylime_5
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I think guys like Torrey Smith, Muhammad Wilkerson, Christian Ballard, Brooks Reed, and maybe Akeem Ayers are in that discussion too as late first/early second round picks. Jimmy Smith could drop out because of character red flags. Jake Locker is a guy who some think will go top 20, but most agree probably should or will go in early round 2. It only takes one team like it did with Tebow, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him.

DenverFan1974
03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I think guys like Torrey Smith, Muhammad Wilkerson, Christian Ballard, Brooks Reed, and maybe Akeem Ayers are in that discussion too as late first/early second round picks. Jimmy Smith could drop out because of character red flags. Jake Locker is a guy who some think will go top 20, but most agree probably should or will go in early round 2. It only takes one team like it did with Tebow, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him.

In this vein I think Ponder, Kaepernick, Locker and Mallett are all bubble first rounders. If a team likes any of these guys enough they may move up to get them or they could drop to the end of the second to beginning of third. I don't see teams spending a first round pick on Ponder, Kaepernick or Mallett but if there is a run on QBs you never know.

bigfreak314
03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I think Clayborn is becoming a bubble guy with all the conditioning issues and his medical condition

Iamcanadian
03-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I think there are 3 bubble players who all have character issues which could send them to round 2 even though they have round 1 ability.
1) Marvin Austin who entered his senior season ranked in the top 10. He missed his senior season but he just finished the combine with a magnificent workout.

2) Ryan Mallet, has 1st round talent but also has huge question marks about his character.

3) Johathan Baldwin - the Pitt WR has everything you look for ion a #1 receiver but also has serious character issues to overcome.

There are also a couple of others with character/injury issues which places them on the bubble:

4) Jimmy Smith - didn't play up to expectation his final year and character issues seem to be present.

5) Phil Taylor - Super talented guy but he was kicked off Penn St. by Joe Paterno. Could possibly go in the 15-25 range or teams may wait till round 2.

6) Kyle Rudolph - Just a complete stud and would have been a sure fire 1st rounder but he is injured and may last till round 2.

shylo3716
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I think there are 3 bubble players who all have character issues which could send them to round 2 even though they have round 1 ability.
1) Marvin Austin who entered his senior season ranked in the top 10. He missed his senior season but he just finished the combine with a magnificent workout.

2) Ryan Mallet, has 1st round talent but also has huge question marks about his character.

3) Johathan Baldwin - the Pitt WR has everything you look for ion a #1 receiver but also has serious character issues to overcome.

There are also a couple of others with character/injury issues which places them on the bubble:

4) Jimmy Smith - didn't play up to expectation his final year and character issues seem to be present.

5) Phil Taylor - Super talented guy but he was kicked off Penn St. by Joe Paterno. Could possibly go in the 15-25 range or teams may wait till round 2.

6) Kyle Rudolph - Just a complete stud and would have been a sure fire 1st rounder but he is injured and may last till round 2.

It's a no brainer he is not going in the first

descendency
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Marvin Austin was described as having "A complete and total lack of character." He will not be drafted in round 1. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in day 3.

TACKLE
03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Marvin Austin was described as having "A complete and total lack of character." He will not be drafted in round 1. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in day 3.

I'm more concerned with him being a terrible football player with a poor work ethic than I am about character concernzzz.

cajuncorey
03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
cameron heyward easily could go in late first/early second

JohnCandy
03-11-2011, 09:08 PM
OG Marcus Cannon, looked ridiculously athletic at the combine.

DT Drake Nevis, undersized and did not test super well.

Grizzlegom
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I've got Clayborn, Mallett, Torrey Smith, Taylor, Reed, Locker, Heyward, Wilkerson, Hankerson, and Ayers as fringe 1st/2nd rounders.

JohnCandy
03-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Cannon weighed in at his Pro Day at 6'5" 349lbs. which is 9lbs less then the combine.

I think he is answering questions about his ability to lose weight. If he showed good feet like his Combine performance people might start thinking he can play OT and move him up.

RealityCheck
03-12-2011, 10:58 AM
People are overrating Austin's character concerns. He's not a bad guy, he's just immature. He is a terrific athlete who will be a steal at any point past the 3rd round.

cajuncorey
03-12-2011, 11:15 AM
People are overrating Austin's character concerns. He's not a bad guy, he's just immature. He is a terrific athlete who will be a steal at any point past the 2nd round.

just had to correct that

and yes personally i believe marvin austin is the 3rd best DT in the draft

RealityCheck
03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure about that... However I believe he should be taken in the early-mid 2nd.

Iamcanadian
03-12-2011, 11:22 AM
The concerns about Austin remind me a lot about the concerns they had for Darnell Docket of Arizona. Austin could easily turnout to be the steal of the whole draft, he clearly has top 10 talent and could turnout to be the best DLman in this year's draft bar none.
It is going to be very interesting to see which team takes a shot on him.

Iamcanadian
03-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Cannon weighed in at his Pro Day at 6'5" 349lbs. which is 9lbs less then the combine.

I think he is answering questions about his ability to lose weight. If he showed good feet like his Combine performance people might start thinking he can play OT and move him up.

NFL people are still going to question an athlete who didn't get into shape for his football team during the season. Nobody is questioning his ability and if he continues to show up at team workouts with less weight, he'll go higher than I first thought.