PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller Representing NFL Players in Anti-Trust Lawsuit

RJS113
03-11-2011, 05:53 PM
"The players who filed the antitrust lawsuit include: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Vincent Jackson, Ben Leber, Logan Mankins, Brian Robison, Osi Umenyiora, Mike Vrabel and Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, who is entered in this year's draft."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6205936

Ballsy move by Miller IMO, but you have to respect his decision to stand up for his future teammates (and fellow players around the league).

But if an agreement isn't reached before the draft, could this cause him to fall? I wouldn't be surprised to see some owners refuse to draft him if the lawsuit is still going on and an agreement hasn't been reached.

Thoughts?

PossibleCabbage
03-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Suing your prospective employer before they actually hire you is generally not considered to be a smart move. "Sports" is really the only business in which it could actually work out for you.

Babylon
03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Give me 11 Von Millers.

RJS113
03-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Give me 11 Von Millers.

I agree 100%, I just don't know if this will make the owners feel the same way.

Babylon
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree 100%, I just don't know if this will make the owners feel the same way.

This is about the time where fans jump in and say they hope he drops to their favorite team. My opinion of Miller continues to rise.

Shane P. Hallam
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
And Peyton Manning won't get his big contract because of this either. Come on, if GMs and coaches want Von Miller, they will get Von Miller.

BaLLiN
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
even if there are some owners that would take it wrong, some of them have to respect his ballsiness

TACKLE
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
How is Von supposed do this and raise chickens at the same time.

descendency
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I heard he did this because he thought he could slip through the issue and tackle this problem, but he got blocked by the doors to the court and couldn't disengage.

GB12
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Is there any point of him (or anyone else) jumping in on this?

descendency
03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Is there any point of him (or anyone else) jumping in on this?
The more the marrier right?

It's not like there is a process for joint claims processing (http://www.kmklaw.com/practices-57.html).

RJS113
03-11-2011, 06:43 PM
And Peyton Manning won't get his big contract because of this either. Come on, if GMs and coaches want Von Miller, they will get Von Miller.

There is zero chance Manning signs a new deal before a new CBA is agreed to. Zero. Will Manning get a new deal after the CBA is finalized? Of course. But until then, the Colts will continue to hold his rights with the franchise tag.

Shane P. Hallam
03-11-2011, 06:44 PM
There is zero chance Manning signs a new deal before a new CBA is agreed to. Zero. Will Manning get a new deal after the CBA is finalized? Of course. But until then, the Colts will continue to hold his rights with the franchise tag.

I never said he would. But Von won't sign before a CBA is done either...

RJS113
03-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I never said he would. But Von won't sign before a CBA is done either...

So is it really unrealistic to think that an owner wouldn't sign off on drafting a guy that he is currently being sued by? When a team drafts a player, they do so with the intention of signing that player, and having him become a member of their organization. If I'm an owner of any company, would I really want to hire someone that is currently suing me?

You can also make the argument that every incoming player holds the same stance as Miller, and Miller is simply representing his fellow rookie class. From that standpoint, Miller certainly shows leadership, which is one of the biggest traits teams look for in a player.

I'm not saying that Miller is going to fall in the draft. I do, however, think it's a possibility, and is a fair question to be asked.

Babylon
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
So is it really unrealistic to think that an owner wouldn't sign off on drafting a guy that he is currently being sued by? When a team drafts a player, they do so with the intention of signing that player, and having him become a member of their organization. If I'm an owner of any company, would I really want to hire someone that is currently suing me?

You can also make the argument that every incoming player holds the same stance as Miller, and Miller is simply representing his fellow rookie class. From that standpoint, Miller certainly shows leadership, which is one of the biggest traits teams look for in a player.

I'm not saying that Miller is going to fall in the draft. I do, however, think it's a possibility, and is a fair question to be asked.

There was probably an outside chance that he would drop a little anyway depending on teams at the top going after QBs, now we will be able to speculate whether there was more to it than that.

descendency
03-11-2011, 07:18 PM
There was probably an outside chance that he would drop a little anyway depending on teams at the top going after QBs, now we will be able to speculate whether there was more to it than that.

To 7th at worst.

2 QBs in the top 5 (Newton and gabbert). 1 DT (Dareus... not Fairley). 1 DE (bowers). 1WR (jones or green). 1 CB (peterson). I can't see another player going in front of him.

D-Unit
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
<3 Von. It may irritate some owners, but they don't want to look stupid for passing on him either.

Forenci
03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
If only this caused him to drop the Giants. :(

Babylon
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
To 7th at worst.

2 QBs in the top 5 (Newton and gabbert). 1 DT (Dareus... not Fairley). 1 DE (bowers). 1WR (jones or green). 1 CB (peterson). I can't see another player going in front of him.

I cant see Fairley outside of the top 5 then you have Quinn and the other WR. I could see him actually dropping out of the top 10. Dallas could take Watt and Washington Locker, Houston probably wouldnt take him.......not saying i would do all this but i think it's plausible.

descendency
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
OH OH OH... I'm an idiot. This is actually a very serious matter. Let me explain by listing why the players are in the plaintiff pool:

Brady, Manning, Brees - famous people (likable, major athletes - big names, whatever you will)

Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins - Franchise tag and RFA tag dispute

Von Miller - draft dispute

I don't know the others specifically, but whatever their issue is with the league will fall into a major category of dispute between the league and the NFLPA.

The NFLPA (through some of the biggest names they could get - probably couldn't get Cam Newton because the last thing he wants is another person crying about character concerns) is attacking every major tenant of the NFL to try to scare the s*** out of them.

Essentially, they are trying to get the court to say that the draft, restricted free agency, franchise tags, etc are a violation of anti-trust laws and therefore not allowable.

This is very very bad. VERY BAD. This isn't to just block a lockout. This is what DeMaurice Smith meant by "preparing for war" (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-16-nflpa-update_N.htm) when he said it when he first took office around 18 months ago.

That's why Von Miller (or a player who isn't in the NFL yet - even though he technically is once he "applied" for the draft) is part of this.

RJS113
03-11-2011, 10:12 PM
"All that said, it’s hard not to wonder whether Miller’s decision to become one of the thorns in the side of the league before he even enters it will hurt his draft stock. Apart from whether players could be blackballed, some could view Miller as a rebel or a loose cannon, and it could be a factor in the final assessment of him as a prospect."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/von-millers-addition-to-antitrust-suit-focuses-on-rookie-salary-cap/