PDA

View Full Version : Justin Houston - 4-3 DE?

JamesH
03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey peeps,

Just wondering what the lot of you think about Justin Houston as a DE in a 4-3 system. I'm a Buc fan and we desperately need to generate pressure off the edge. I don't like any of the DE talent outside of Bowers and Quinn, who obviously won't be available at 20.

Kerrigan might be a good player in the NFL but I don't think he makes it past the Patriot at 17 unless they start trading down, which isn't a stretch. I don't trust Aldon Smith as a prospect after the utter bust that Gaines Adams turned out to be.

So... back to the topic at hand here. Watching film on him the past couple days, it looks like Houston has great explosion off the ball and good upper body strength. Good speed and good body bulk/frame. What say you NFLDC?

SimonRath
03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I think he will be a better DE then a OLB.

BaLLiN
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I like him as a 3-4 DE although his coverage is just ok.

SimonRath
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I like him as a 3-4 DE although his coverage is just ok.

dont you mean a 4-3?

87Canes
03-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Houston is a 3-4 OLB all the way. He' stood up most of his career at UGA and when he has had his hand down in the ground, it's been for pass rushing purposes.

keylime_5
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
it doesn't sound like every 3-4 team will like him to play linebacker in their system. I think any 4-3 team would love to have him though....his ten yard split in his combine 40 dwarfed everyone else's, even Von Miller, his explosion numbers are gonna get a lot of teams wet over drafting him as a potential elite pass rusher.

Halsey
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't think anyone really knows for sure if he'll be good at either or both. The debate is actually getting pretty old. It's hard to project the success of prospects whose position is clear, much less one whose is not. Even the team that drafts him won't know for a while.

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
IMO Houston is one of the safest defensive picks in this draft, at 34 OLB.

I expect him to have similar early success in his career much like Orakpo and CMIII.

If he doesn't start as a rookie and have at least 10 sacks, personally I'd be a little surprised.

bigfreak314
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I believe 4-3 End. 6'3 270, great explosion, has a knack for getting to the qb. Plus I don't think he has much exp in pass coverage.

Iamcanadian
03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I think he will get drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE and I expect him to end up at around 285lbs.

RJS113
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I think he will get drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE and I expect him to end up at around 285lbs.

Why?

I think 270 is a perfect weight for Houston as a 4-3 RDE. He's already added about 15 pounds from his playing weight at Georgia. His biggest assets are his speed and explosiveness, so I'd hate to see him continue to add more weight.

rockio42
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM
His break off the snap, with his hand in the ground, is ridiculous. I could see him excelling at either spot but like it's been said here I don't know if his coverage ability is going to hold up while playing OLB -- especially in some 3-4 schemes

patman
03-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Why?

I think 270 is a perfect weight for Houston as a 4-3 RDE. He's already added about 15 pounds from his playing weight at Georgia. His biggest assets are his speed and explosiveness, so I'd hate to see him continue to add more weight.

Agreed, he did not look like 270 when playing at Georgia. I think he took a chance bulking up to 270 with an eye on attracting 4-3 teams. I Think that most 3/4 teams will probably like him more closer to 260

J-Mike88
03-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Agreed, he did not look like 270 when playing at Georgia. I think he took a chance bulking up to 270 with an eye on attracting 4-3 teams. I Think that most 3/4 teams will probably like him more closer to 260
Yeah 285 is way too high.... wth Canada? Maybe that's a mixup translation between the metric system and our old-fashioned measuring system here in the States?

Last year, most people expected Jerry Hughes from TCU to go to a 3-4 team as an OLB rush monster, but the Colts took him to groom to be the next Freeney or Mathis as their 4-3 DE. Houston might be on a similar path despite many mocks having 3-4 teams taking him as an OLB, just like last year with the TCU guy going to Green Bay.

As far as I know, Hughes didn't have much of an impact in Indy with his hand on the ground, and I still think he would have been a beast as a 3-4 OLB.

brasho
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
270-260, I like him going to the Bucs BECAUSE of his versatility with him playing mostly RDE-but also being moved around as a blitz LB on passing downs.

As far as pure RDEs are concerned that could be there when the Bucs draft at #20... I have Houston as my #3 guy, behind Kerrigan and Aldon Smith.

Woody56
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
4-3 DE would be ideal for him.

BaLLiN
03-13-2011, 04:58 PM
dont you mean a 4-3?

i meant OLB in 3-4 my bad

Soapy Papoose
03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
He played in both a 4-3 and 3-4 at UGA, don't know why people keep wondering if he can play either position. That being said, I'm not sure coverage-wise if he can play OLB in the NFL.

brat316
03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
even though he may have added 15 lbs now, his playing weight is 250 ish. And thats what it will be throughout this up coming season. If he needs to add weight its going to take him a few seasons to add it and maintain it throughout the season.

StaticGator
03-14-2011, 12:12 PM
even though he may have added 15 lbs now, his playing weight is 250 ish. And thats what it will be throughout this up coming season. If he needs to add weight its going to take him a few seasons to add it and maintain it throughout the season.

That may be the case if he were soft and sluggish at 270 right now, but he was pretty ripped and athletic at the Combine. I'd say he's ready to play at 270 if he wants to.

Diehard
03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I like him as a 4-3 DE. Let him attack.

4U2NV
03-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Interesting comments from Mike Mayock today on Houston:

Appearing on Path to the Draft Monday, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock questioned Georgia DE Justin Houston's motor.

Mayock acknowledged Houston's impressive measurables and "explosiveness off the edge," but doesn't believe he deserves a first-round grade. "What I don't like and what a lot of people in the league don't like, is that (Houston's) tape is somewhat lackadaisical," said Mayock. "He's not a great hustler every snap of every game. For me, that puts him in the second round."

FUNBUNCHER
03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting comments from Mike Mayock today on Houston:

Appearing on Path to the Draft Monday, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock questioned Georgia DE Justin Houston's motor.

Mayock acknowledged Houston's impressive measurables and "explosiveness off the edge," but doesn't believe he deserves a first-round grade. "What I don't like and what a lot of people in the league don't like, is that (Houston's) tape is somewhat lackadaisical," said Mayock. "He's not a great hustler every snap of every game. For me, that puts him in the second round."

I don't get Mayock.

He absolutely LOVED Robert Ayers, who wasn't 1/10th the football player Houston was at UGA.

#42 always flashed on the screen for the Bulldogs and was almost always around the football if not the one making the play.

By far the best player on that D and he dictated what Georgia did on passing downs.

Houston had almost 20 TFLs last year and he's not hustling??

Maybe a scout hypothetically would like to see him play at a higher intensity level for a full 60 minutes, but let's not act like he's dogging it on the football field.

WHen Mayock grades certain prospects, it's really hard to take him seriously sometimes.

2nd round grade?? Hm.

I know last year most people were projecting Orakpo as a top 5 pick at DE, not OLB, yet he's still a 2 time pro bowler at the position.

THe only thing Orakpo has over Houston as a prospect is raw upper body strength; Rak has maybe two moves rushing the passer, can't disengage from blockers and doesn't know how to use his hands at all.

Houston IMO is too gifted an athlete not to be able to play OLB in the NFL.

If Justin Houston was that productive the last two years at UGA 'not hustling', how is he not drafted top 25??

IF guys like Lamar Woodley and Calvin Pace can make the conversion, it should be that much easier for Houston.

DBNYDP
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
To be fair...Mayock loved Ayers as a 4-3 DE.
I think Houston can play OLB in the league but if I were a team I'd ask him to lose a little weight so he can add a bit more speed.