PDA

View Full Version : "Lucky" Decision

shylo3716
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
In less then 2 hours the NFL will officially be locked out for not having an agreement on contract negotiations. I would like to know did Andrew Luck make the best decision out of all the prospects who were suppose to declare for the draft, because he stayed in school to PLAY. I look at it as a GENIUS move, because for 1 his family is well off & for 2 the rookies who will be drafted will have the same thing they been had......zip zota nada!!!!!

killxswitch
03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
It looks a lot smarter now than it did at the time. Also at the time it was not so sure the rookie payscale would be in effect for this draft.

SimonRath
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
if theres no season, who has the 1st pick next year? same as this year?

shylo3716
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Good f*cking question.

SimonRath
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Good f*cking question.

if it is the same order, Carolinas lucky as ****. they get 2 1st over all picks but only has to embarrass themselves for 16 total games..

CashmoneyDrew
03-11-2011, 10:23 PM
At first I lampooned Luck for going back, mainly for selfish reasons like wanting a strong draft or even the Titans having an outside shot at him. However, he's a smart dude obviously surrounded by smart people. He did his research and knew that whether he came out this year or the next he was going to be fitted with a rookie wage scale regardless due to the CBA expiring before the draft. Stanford could legit compete for the national title next year and it looks like an excellent decision at this point. I'll just keep my fingers crossed he doesn't tear his knee up or something next season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I think if the season is lost they'd do something similar to what the NHL did. The entire draft was a lottery, where each team began with 3 balls, and was guaranteed at least one ball. A ball was removed for every time in the past 3 years a team either a) made the playoffs or b) had the first overall pick. So if a team like Carolina who made the playoffs once and had the first overall pick once, they would get one ball. A team like Denver which has not had a 1st pick or made the playoffs in the last 3 years would have 3 balls. I'm pretty sure that's how the NHL did it, and it's as good a guess as any right now.

Halsey
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
There's going to be a season. There's way to much feed in the trough for the pigs to give up an entire season of feeding.

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Even if it's only 7 or 8 games, the NFL will play this season, have the playoffs and host a SB.

J-Mike88
03-11-2011, 11:10 PM
There's going to be a season. There's way too much feed in the trough for the pigs to give up an entire season of feeding.
I agree, and there will be a draft like usual.
And while I am still 100% sure Luck made the wrong decision, as I was when Leinart and Brohm and Michael Bush and Sam Bradford stayed in school, Luck will probably still be #1 next year even with bad injury like Bradford had.

But as a guy with an economics background (sort of), I still find it horribly unwise to play one full season of a risky sport for free when one can play that same season and make a guaranteed 8-figures+.

dannyz
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I was so mad when I heard his Decision but now have realized he is a True Role Model. He say he want's his Degree and is going to work to get it, He values his Education and hates when people talk about how good he is. A Great Character compared to I want to be a Icon, I was the best player on my team and Cheated my way through College. Andrew Luck I a Hero to Me.

descendency
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM

If you're the panthers, would you draft Dareus/Peterson/etc (not a QB) and hope there is no football this year? Turn around and draft Andrew Luck :D

niel89
03-12-2011, 12:39 AM
He knew what he was doing. He placed a strong importance on getting his education and he is following through on his degree.

DecisiveLeaf
03-12-2011, 12:58 AM
I think it's all his father. His father also told him to go to Stanford, knowing full well what kind of coach Harbaugh was. And, I'm sure Oliver had some sort of connection on the inside to keep him updated on the labor situation. It seems like the super rich always know each other.

Pat Sims 90
03-12-2011, 01:07 AM
There will be a season at some point the owners and players will finally realize how much money they are losing and come to agreement at some point even if it is a 1 or 2 year deal.

SRK85
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Yep Luck made the right decision and now Gabbert looks smart for declaring. We all knew this already.

brasho
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
How did Luck make a great decision? There will be a season with 99% certainty and Luck could go back to school, get seriously injured or mess up his stock somehow.

If he had come out this season he would have been paid this season, and if the Judge orders the lockout lifted and the players back to work, then Luck would have missed out on the ridiculous 1st pick money... and even if he doesn't get the ridiculous money, that is one more year of getting paid in his career instead of playing at Stanford for free.

4U2NV
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
How did Luck make a great decision? There will be a season with 99% certainty and Luck could go back to school, get seriously injured or mess up his stock somehow.

If he had come out this season he would have been paid this season, and if the Judge orders the lockout lifted and the players back to work, then Luck would have missed out on the ridiculous 1st pick money... and even if he doesn't get the ridiculous money, that is one more year of getting paid in his career instead of playing at Stanford for free.
Agreed. Luck was a virtual lock to go #1. All of this talk about him being smart because there'll be no football is wrong if you ask me. There WILL be football and Luck would have been paid immediately. He'd be working with a great WR, have a solid running game to support him and a smart head coach. He's taking a huge chance going back to school and I still think despite the way things appear in the NFL at the moment that he made the absolute wrong decision.

Iamcanadian
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree, and there will be a draft like usual.
And while I am still 100% sure Luck made the wrong decision, as I was when Leinart and Brohm and Michael Bush and Sam Bradford stayed in school, Luck will probably still be #1 next year even with bad injury like Bradford had.

But as a guy with an economics background (sort of), I still find it horribly unwise to play one full season of a risky sport for free when one can play that same season and make a guaranteed 8-figures+.

I agree, all he has accomplished is to play another season for nothing in a sport where extremely serious injuries occur. There are absolutely no guarantees he will ever cash in on his abilities. Pure immaturity.

the natural
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
The rookies will get drafted by the NFL as any other year. There is no way the league is down for the whole season, and almost no likelihood that they miss any time at all. Most of the first year QBs wouldn't play a lot in any case. I don't see how this makes Luck's decision any less boneheaded.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm sure Luck is really upset that a bunch of internet people think he's an idiot.

the natural
03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
If he says he is doing it for the degree, it makes no sense. If he wants to be an engineer, a four year degree does nothing for him, really. So unless he plans to finish his basic degree this year and come back for another two or three years to turn it into something worthwhile, he should shut up about that. Gabbert and the others coming out this year plan to make their career as football players first. So they made the best choice from that perspective.

4U2NV
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm sure Luck is really upset that a bunch of internet people think he's an idiot.
Yeah, I guess discussing a highly touted prospect on a discussion forum based on the NFL Draft is a waste of time.

dannyz
03-13-2011, 07:01 PM
If I was Luck I would say look at Peyton/Eli, Bradford. You can say look at Leinart,Locker but I say were they in the same League as Luck/Mannings/Bradford? I say no.

GaMeTiMe
03-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Even if it's only 7 or 8 games, the NFL will play this season, have the playoffs and host a SB.

And how legitimate would every fan of the league consider that season? Whatever team wins the Super Bowl would hear nothing but "It wasn't a real season!" , "You guys won the half-year Super Bowl!", etc...Especially if it happens to be a classic Cinderella team or a team that hasn't won a SB for decades, if ever. That'd almost be embarrassing, as an Eagle fan I'm not sure I'd even want to win it all that year and hear nothing from the Cowboys and Giants (Redskins opinions don't count) about the way we had to win our first Super Bowl..

Not saying the NFL wouldn't do that, because it's obvious that they would...and I'm sure we'd all just be happy to have football back and get into it just as much as usual if not more..we'd all probably be excited that we didn't have to put up with a 4-game pre-season and 16-game regular season schedule, possibly running with our entire opening-day starting roster through an entire year..But when it's all said and done, we'll know nothing of that season but it was short and the team that won the Super Bowl didn't "REALLY" win the Super Bowl.

As far as Luck goes, all he has to do is avoid serious injury next year and he's the big winner in this big mess. Even if he does god forbid really hurt himself, that's why you get your degree, that injury could've been at your first rookie camp and then you have nothing.

bitonti
03-14-2011, 06:40 AM
I think it's all his father. His father also told him to go to Stanford, knowing full well what kind of coach Harbaugh was. And, I'm sure Oliver had some sort of connection on the inside to keep him updated on the labor situation. It seems like the super rich always know each other.

+1 Oliver Luck knew this would happen

brasho
03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
And how legitimate would every fan of the league consider that season? Whatever team wins the Super Bowl would hear nothing but "It wasn't a real season!" , "You guys won the half-year Super Bowl!", etc...Especially if it happens to be a classic Cinderella team or a team that hasn't won a SB for decades, if ever. That'd almost be embarrassing, as an Eagle fan I'm not sure I'd even want to win it all that year and hear nothing from the Cowboys and Giants (Redskins opinions don't count) about the way we had to win our first Super Bowl..

Not saying the NFL wouldn't do that, because it's obvious that they would...and I'm sure we'd all just be happy to have football back and get into it just as much as usual if not more..we'd all probably be excited that we didn't have to put up with a 4-game pre-season and 16-game regular season schedule, possibly running with our entire opening-day starting roster through an entire year..But when it's all said and done, we'll know nothing of that season but it was short and the team that won the Super Bowl didn't "REALLY" win the Super Bowl.

Well... let's see. The 1982 Washington Redskins won the SUper BOwl despite only playing 9 regular season games. I don'r recall anybody calling them a tainted champion. Of course there were something like 16 teams out of 28 that made the playoffs and it made for a long playoff round, but NOBODY ever looks at the 82 Redskins and makes excuses, if anything, they credit them for being able to play well despite a split season. The 1987 season only featured 12 games by regular NFL players, the Redskins won that year as well... I don't recall hearing any criticisms about that season either, only compliments.

As far as Luck goes, all he has to do is avoid serious injury next year and he's the big winner in this big mess. Even if he does god forbid really hurt himself, that's why you get your degree, that injury could've been at your first rookie camp and then you have nothing.

Right, because nothing on the field could hurt his stock. Listen up, he was the sure-fire #1 pick in the draft...anything could happen. Only having a good year, an injury, a player or players emerge from out of nowhere to esxtablish themselves as the #1 pick. How can you say he is the big-winner? The chance that he makes sick/silly money this year compared to next is huge. As of this second, there is no rookie salary restrictor in place (though it is virtually certain to happen if a CBA is signed), next year it is definite. And besides that, let's say he plays another 16 years of football in his life.. if he spends 1 of those still playing in college, that's 1 less year of getting paid.

Now I'm not going to slam the guy for going back to get his degree, but isn't the main purpose of college to get you ready for a job? A degree is fine and dandy, but it is nothing when compared to high-salary opportunity (albeit short) to play in the NFL...at any salary.

If a guy was at an Ivy League school and somebody came to him and said, "I know you won't be graduating for 2 years, but I want you to run my new department for XXXX and I'm going to guarantee you $2 million a year for the next 10 years..." that guy sure as hell would drop out of school and take the job, especially if it was doing something he wanted to do. If the guy wasn't a complete moron, and we have to assume he isn't, he puts some money aside to finish his degree if that's what he wants to do.

descendency
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
+1 Oliver Luck knew this would happen

So did everyone else. You don't have to be a genius to read the internet and see this one coming.

descendency
03-14-2011, 07:50 AM
The chance that he makes sick/silly money this year compared to next is huge.

He cannot sign a contract until a CBA is signed and the NFL will make sure a rookie wage scale is in place before they sign a CBA. Therefore he will likely make the same this year as next. If anyone makes anything this year, that is.

brasho
03-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Great, a rich person conspiracy theorist. #1, Oliver Luck is not super rich, never was. He's a smart guy (Rhode Scholar finalist), he's now WVU's AD, but in all his years as overseer of NFLE and in the league office, he probably didn't get close to what he's making now. He's likely making way better money than he ever came close to in the NFL as a career backup. And if Oliver Luck was such a genius, how come he couldn't look into his crystal ball and see that Harbaugh was leaving Stanford this season? That action alone has the ability to completely derail Luck.

brasho
03-14-2011, 07:59 AM
He cannot sign a contract until a CBA is signed and the NFL will make sure a rookie wage scale is in place before they sign a CBA. Therefore he will likely make the same this year as next. If anyone makes anything this year, that is.

Technically, if Judge Doty rules in favor of the players and ends the lockout then the league season is to go on under the non-rules that were in place last season... meaning no salary cap, no rookie wage scale, etc.

whatadai
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
if it is the same order, Carolinas lucky as ****. they get 2 1st over all picks but only has to embarrass themselves for 16 total games..

Not only that, they might get to pay both of them low as ****. I would just take Green and Luck and make a fucken dynasty out of that.

PossibleCabbage
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Technically, if Judge Doty rules in favor of the players and ends the lockout then the league season is to go on under the non-rules that were in place last season... meaning no salary cap, no rookie wage scale, etc.

1) Judge Doty is not involved in Brady et. al. vs. NFL, the presiding Judge is Susan Nelson.

2) Nothing obligates teams to pay high first round draft picks ridiculous money, they pay them whatever the agent and the team can work out. Considering that teams were already willing to play hardball by locking out all of the players and potentially sacrificing all or some of the season, I think you'll get a lot more teams who just elect to stand up to agents demands. I think you'll get a lot of offers along the lines of "Here is the rookie wage scale agreed to by the NFL and the NFLPA before talks broke down, we will offer you 15% more than that if you sign now. Alternatively, you can wait until the rookie wage scale is in place and get less in addition to missing time. Your call."

It's just another one of the ways that being a bad team going into this offseason is really, really bad. The difference between the proposed wage scale and what late first round picks (and later rounds) have gotten traditionally are extremely minor, so these teams will have no problem signing their guys. In addition to all of the other problems that the teams picking high have going forward, I believe there will be some pressure on them to hold the line when it comes to contracts.

descendency
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Those would be the rules in place as of day 1, but the owners could easily (though, the NFLPA would certainly try to challenge it as the act of a trust) implement on their own, a rookie wage scale of their choosing.