PDA

View Full Version : Paea vs Liuget

armageddon
03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Who is better ?
NFL comparison ?

I'm pretty sure Julio Jones and AJ Green will be gone by #14 for the Rams, so DL would be my next choice. You know Spags likes DL also.

killxswitch
03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I prefer Paea but neither are worth the #14 pick IMO.

TACKLE
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I prefer Paea but neither are worth the #14 pick IMO.

That may be your opinion, but Liuget has a legit (see what did there:/) shot at going to the Rams at 14.

holt_bruce81
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Give me Liuget, I think he deserves to be a top 15 pick.

A Perfect Score
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I personally prefer Paea but it seems as though Liuget will go higher as of right now. I haven't seen a ton of tape on him actually, but his stock is rising quickly.

keylime_5
03-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I love Liuget's upside. Some games last year he was a dominant, top 10 pick type player. Other games not so much. Paea is more consistent with a motor that is always on. I'd want to draft Liuget for my team first, but I would love Paea as a big strong 3 technique who can penetrate.

bigbluedefense
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm going with Paea. The only knocks I have on him is his pass rush techniques are raw and he has short arms.

But the functional strength, the first step, the hand punch, the motor, the leverage, it's all there. If we're talking 3 tech, I'm taling Paea over Liugett all day.

Liugett has a slow first step, he seems more like a 2 gap run stuffer to me. I like his long arms, and his stouteness at the point, but that's about it. He screams average NFL player to me.

Matthew Jones
03-12-2011, 08:37 AM
When I went back and watched some of both of them recently, I thought Liuget looked like a better prospect - Paea spends a lot of the time on the ground and just generally doesn't look like he has great balance.

Nebula
03-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm going with Paea. The only knocks I have on him is his pass rush techniques are raw and he has short arms.

But the functional strength, the first step, the hand punch, the motor, the leverage, it's all there. If we're talking 3 tech, I'm taling Paea over Liugett all day.

Liugett has a slow first step, he seems more like a 2 gap run stuffer to me. I like his long arms, and his stouteness at the point, but that's about it. He screams average NFL player to me.

To be fair Liuget has a very fair motor and hand punch and Pea might be more of a 2-gap run stuffer as well (although his arms are pretty short).

However, yes, I'd take Pea. Pea is a rare talent because of his pheomenal strength. He has the lower body strength to anchor excellently, and the upper body strength to easily get off blocks. Needs to polish his technique slightly but the upside to be an elite 2-gap player is there. He also has superior explosiveness and burst off the ball compared to Liuget, which is the most important thing in my book. Not that Pea is a pocket collapser, but he can penetrate and definitely be more disruptive against the run and pass although his pressure won't always turn into sacks

killxswitch
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
To be fair Liuget has a very fair motor and hand punch and Pea might be more of a 2-gap run stuffer as well (although his arms are pretty short).

However, yes, I'd take Pea. Pea is a rare talent because of his pheomenal strength. He has the lower body strength to anchor excellently, and the upper body strength to easily get off blocks. Needs to polish his technique slightly but the upside to be an elite 2-gap player is there. He also has superior explosiveness and burst off the ball compared to Liuget, which is the most important thing in my book. Not that Pea is a pocket collapser, but he can penetrate and definitely be more disruptive against the run and pass although his pressure won't always turn into sacks

Paea could be the missing piece of the puzzle for teams with good pass rushing ends but mediocre DEs. Colts and Giants come to mind.

BeerBaron
03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Liuget has the higher upside as an interior pass rusher, so that would likely push him up boards a bit further than Paea.

I think either would be a great pickup by a team in the 20s, but 14 may be pushing it a little.

CJSchneider
03-12-2011, 02:18 PM
What I really love about Paea is that his upside is huge. He only started playing football as a HS senior. He is still going to be incredibly open to technique coaching.

toonsterwu
03-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Overall, the chances of Liuget going higher seems more likely right now. He's got a decent chance of going mid-first. I see the upside, but to be honest, I don't see enough consistent production to think he deserves to go mid-first. That said, the potential is there, and NFL teams have a tendency to overvalue guys with pass rushing potential. Right now, I think Liuget is anywhere from a mid first to early 2nd, while Paea is more of a late first - mid 2nd.

Speaking specifically to the Rams, Liuget likely makes a bit more sense for you guys as well. While Spags is willing to get creative and move guys around, ideally, I'm sure he'd like to have an interior penetrator and Liuget's pass-rushing potential is higher than Paea's.

If we're talking interior linemen for the Rams, though, don't rule out a couple other possibilities. Muhammad Wilkerson could work his way up to the mid-first, and while most have him pegged as a 5-tech, it wouldn't surprise me if a 4-3 team thought he could excel inside. The same goes for a guy like JJ Watt.

Btw, who do I personally prefer? Probably Paea. I like big, strong, touch interior DL guys, and he'll give you a decent push as well.

rawdawg
03-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I like both guys a lot. Like Liuget a little more though. Both have good upside. Paea is relatively new to football and will be a better pro than he was in college where he faced a lot of double teams. Quick first step, big time strength, never-ending motor. I think he can be a pro-bowl caliber DT.

As for Liuget, I think he also can be pro-bowl caliber, but brings a different package to the table. I think his first step is good enough, but could get better. I think he's strong enough, but could get stronger. He was pretty heavily recruited out of HS. Just showed flashes for a couple years then really put it together this year at Illinois. I think in the right scheme he could be a star. I think teams that look at him as a 3-4 DE are going to be disappointed. Reminds me a lot of Ziggy Hood, who finally started to play well at DE down the stretch for the Steelers. But I still think Hood would be better as a 3-technique in the 4-3. Has a strong bull rush, and I think giving him solely 3-gap responsibilities will allow him to develop other pass rush moves and get him in the backfield more consistently.

As a Bears fan, if Liuget is there (and guys like Pouncey and Carimi are gone), then I hope they take him at 29. If all 3 are gone, I'd look to trade down to get Paea, because there are a lot of 3-4 teams late 1st and early 2nd that simply aren't going to take him.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Give me Liuget, I think he deserves to be a top 15 pick.

I've seen a mock draft where they have him [Liuget] going to the Rams at #14. I would puke if that happens.

One month ago. Nice consistency.

Liuget @ #12 to Minnesota isn't out of the question.

GaMeTiMe
03-14-2011, 02:06 AM

Thats pretty much how it is at this site, someone says one thing and the next person is ready to quote it and say the complete opposite. That guy just does it to himself, I guess.

Liuget is a money 25-35 guy, and anywhere higher would be a team that simply has him at the top of their board and wants to go BPA; no one is going to fall in love with him too early, at least in my opinion. There's too high of a demand for edge rushers and 5-techniques that 4-3 UTs are going to slip a little bit. Minnesota would definitely be his absolute ceiling, but you'd think they'll have a better DE to go with there, or Amukamara. St. Louis will also probably go with an end or obviously Julio Jones if he's there. The Colts absolutely have to go OL but he'd be perfect there. Something about Seattle too, but that'd be a darkhorse pick

holt_bruce81
03-14-2011, 03:05 AM

I didn't say I wanted him on the Rams. Rams have bigger needs that to take a Defensive Tackle, and they always seem to draft a bust. Jimmy Kennady, Damione Lewis, Adam Carriker.....

GaMeTiMe
03-14-2011, 03:26 AM
I didn't say I wanted him on the Rams. Rams have bigger needs that to take a Defensive Tackle, and they always seem to draft a bust. Jimmy Kennady, Damione Lewis, Adam Carriker.....

Lewis had a pretty nice career, and honestly now that you say that I think Liuget will be a comparable player over the duration of his. Carriker was a misfit and wasn't drafted for Spagnuolo's system. Whoever St. Louis looks at on the D-Line will be someone Spags will be able to work with

bitonti
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
paea better than liuget and they are both late 1st/early 2nd types