PDA

View Full Version : Serious Business

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 03:22 AM
The title says it all. Don't particularly love how it turned out but just wanted to work out some things and get some thoughts. Didn't feel like writing up explanations but am more than willing to provide one upon request. I'm sure I'll have some explaining to do (especially on a couple picks but I'm ready for it!)

1. Carolina - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
3. Buffalo - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
4. Cincinnati - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Cincinnati
5. Arizona - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
6. Cleveland - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
7. San Francisco - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
8. Tennessee - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
9. Dallas - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
10. Washington - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
11. Houston - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
12. Minnesota - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
13. Detroit - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
14. St. Louis - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
15. Miami - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
16. Jacksonville - Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
17. New England f.OAK - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
18. San Diego - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
19. New York Giants - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
20. Tampa Bay - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
21. Kansas City - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
22. Indianapolis - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
23. Philadelphia - Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
24. New Orleans - Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
25. Seattle - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
26. Baltimore - Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
27. Atlanta - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
28. New England - Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple
29. Chicago - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
30. New York Jets - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
31. Pittsburgh - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (Fl)
32. Green Bay - Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh

Brothgar
03-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Explain Mark Ingram after the Lions drafted Best in the first last season and Cam Jordan still on the board.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Explain Mark Ingram after the Lions drafted Best in the first last season and Cam Jordan still on the board.

In a scenario where Prince isn't available, its not a good spot for them but it really opens up their options. There are no positions they have to address and the value doesn't match up with their biggest needs so ideally they'd move back to put themselves in a position to get better value. However, if they stay put, there is no player they have to take. I can see Cam Jordan as a potential Jason Jones type in Schwartz's D however, I just don't see the role for him at the moment given that they don't need a starting DE or an interior pass rush presence but I wouldn't discount him as an option at all. OT has been talked about a lot here but I don't see them forcing it unless there's a guy they really like. Backus is getting up there in years but by no means do they need to replace him immediately. I think they may look at a guy like Carimi or Castonzo possibly over Smith or Solder in the sense that they could fill the hole at guard earlier in there careers and eventually move outside to LT.

Ingram was the pick more so by process of elimination. I get the impression that the team wants to be more physical running the ball, something they haven't been in a long time. Ingram would be a perfect compliment Best. Best is not the type of player you want taking the bulk of the touches in the backfield given his style of play and injury history. Kevin Smith is an UFA who the team decided not to tender so there's no certainty on whether or not he'll return. We saw Carolina do something very similar when they took DeAngelo in the late first than two drafts later take Jonathan Stewart in the earlier teens. That went a long way to rejuvenating their ground game and created one of the premier rushing attacks in the league. I think Ingram gives that offense an element it badly needs. I can understand not wanting RB's in the first in back to back years. But this pick made the most sense to me in that I could buy Ingram being the pick but couldn't truly sell myself on any other player here.

akvikefan89
03-12-2011, 05:07 AM
I'm assuming with the Julio selection that you project Sidney Rice to leave in FA, in which case I would be 100% behind that pick.

Nalej
03-12-2011, 08:25 AM
It's my opinion that a Kerrigan/Heyward 1st round is damn near perfect.
So with that scenerio being able to be done, it makes me a bit sad that it didn't (If this really happened)
With that, I guess I could see this happening.

My only question for you is... why did you take Wilkerson (who I do like) over Heyward?

Seasonticketholder
03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't be upset with Smith at #24 for the Saints!

wicket
03-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be upset with Smith at #24 for the Saints!

Id cream my pants although I doubt it will happen

txparkes49x
03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Bowers would be the pick at 9, even though i wouldnt be opposed to Watt.

Matthew Jones
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It's my opinion that a Kerrigan/Heyward 1st round is damn near perfect.
So with that scenerio being able to be done, it makes me a bit sad that it didn't (If this really happened)
With that, I guess I could see this happening.

My only question for you is... why did you take Wilkerson (who I do like) over Heyward?

I agree with this, but I don't think Carimi is really a fit, and he's not the prospect some of the other guys are. I'd take Kerrigan/Heyward but if you're dead-set on OT I'd go Castonzo or Solder.

Razor
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I love taking Wilkerson at 28. I just want Aldon Smith instead of Carimi, that would make it a perfect Patriots draft.

49erNation85
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
nice pick for SF.

prock
03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
If we lose Sid, then Julio is a stellar pick.

Babylon
03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Seriously good mock there.

Not crazy about Mallett to Seattle as i know of many places in this town that he can stray off course, hopefully if he does land here he can survive a couple of years without getting killed behind that O-line.

My boy Locker to Miami makes some sense but i find it hard to believe that the Titans, Skins and Vikings, who are all desperate for a QB, would pass on a guy who in some quarters is rated above the other two top guys.

thebow305
03-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd be ok with Locker. We need a QB so it's not a bad pick. I'd probably prefer Mallett or a trade down, but either way it's not bad.

vidae
03-12-2011, 01:43 PM
You make me so happy.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm assuming with the Julio selection that you project Sidney Rice to leave in FA, in which case I would be 100% behind that pick.

Yes, that is the assumption. Though even if Rice comes back, I still wouldn't completely rule it out.

I actually had Heyward pegged here but switched right at the end. Although both fit the Pats scheme just fine, Wilkerson as a lot more experience two gapping and has proven he can be a strong interior player. The Patriots always seem to prefer to take tall DT's and moving them outside opposed to taking big DE's and moving them inside. That's what gave Wilkerson the slight edge.

I agree with this, but I don't think Carimi is really a fit, and he's not the prospect some of the other guys are. I'd take Kerrigan/Heyward but if you're dead-set on OT I'd go Castonzo or Solder.

I'm not deadset on OT, but one of the reasons what gave Carimi the edge over the other guys was the thought that they could play him inside at guard early on and eventually move him back outside to tackle when Light is gone. He would be an upgrade over Connolly and there is a lot of uncertainty in Mankins long term future with the team. This may be true of the other top OT prospects, but I know Carimi is a guy they've expressed interest in. I just like the fit the most and the versatility he could potentially offer early on. They didn't have to go O-Line at 17 but there wasn't really a value and or scheme fit I really liked there.

Mocking for the Pats sucks in a way because I don't think anybody really believes they'll be holding both those picks anyway.

Chucky
03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Kerrigan is a perfect pick for the Bucs there. The guy can come right in and contribute at teh Bucs biggest position of need.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Kerrigan is a perfect pick for the Bucs there. The guy can come right in and contribute at teh Bucs biggest position of need.

The more I think on it, the more I like Kerrigan there over a guy like Aldon Smith. If you look at what they did last year, they tended to take the highly productive college players over the higher-ceiling project types and there draft turned out to be a very successful one. I think they keep with the same approach this year.

Pat Sims 90
03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Cant see the Bengals taking a QB at 4 if they trade then yea i can see it then but i dont think they pass on AJ Green if he is there.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Cant see the Bengals taking a QB at 4 if they trade then yea i can see it then but i dont think they pass on AJ Green if he is there.

There's no way they can head into next season with Jordan Palmer and Dan LeFevour as their only quarterbacks. Unless there's a guy they really like in the 2nd/late 1st, I don't see how they can't pull the trigger on QB if either Gabbert or Newton is there. At the quarterback position, if they think he's good enough to take at 9 for instance, he's good enough for them to take at 4.

CashmoneyDrew
03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Comic-Sans?!?!?!?

I like the Fairley pick.

Brothgar
03-12-2011, 08:48 PM
In a scenario where Prince isn't available, its not a good spot for them but it really opens up their options. There are no positions they have to address and the value doesn't match up with their biggest needs so ideally they'd move back to put themselves in a position to get better value. However, if they stay put, there is no player they have to take. I can see Cam Jordan as a potential Jason Jones type in Schwartz's D however, I just don't see the role for him at the moment given that they don't need a starting DE or an interior pass rush presence but I wouldn't discount him as an option at all. OT has been talked about a lot here but I don't see them forcing it unless there's a guy they really like. Backus is getting up there in years but by no means do they need to replace him immediately. I think they may look at a guy like Carimi or Castonzo possibly over Smith or Solder in the sense that they could fill the hole at guard earlier in there careers and eventually move outside to LT.

Ingram was the pick more so by process of elimination. I get the impression that the team wants to be more physical running the ball, something they haven't been in a long time. Ingram would be a perfect compliment Best. Best is not the type of player you want taking the bulk of the touches in the backfield given his style of play and injury history. Kevin Smith is an UFA who the team decided not to tender so there's no certainty on whether or not he'll return. We saw Carolina do something very similar when they took DeAngelo in the late first than two drafts later take Jonathan Stewart in the earlier teens. That went a long way to rejuvenating their ground game and created one of the premier rushing attacks in the league. I think Ingram gives that offense an element it badly needs. I can understand not wanting RB's in the first in back to back years. But this pick made the most sense to me in that I could buy Ingram being the pick but couldn't truly sell myself on any other player here.

Cliff Avril and T.McBride are free agents this season. I don't see them coming back.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Cliff Avril and T.McBride are free agents this season. I don't see them coming back.

Really? I heard that it was likely that Avril was coming back. If he doesn't, that would definitely change things.

bored of education
03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
sex please

Pat Sims 90
03-12-2011, 10:04 PM
There's no way they can head into next season with Jordan Palmer and Dan LeFevour as their only quarterbacks. Unless there's a guy they really like in the 2nd/late 1st, I don't see how they can't pull the trigger on QB if either Gabbert or Newton is there. At the quarterback position, if they think he's good enough to take at 9 for instance, he's good enough for them to take at 4.

Yea they can go into the season with Jordan or LeFevour as starting QB because it is not like they will be a real good team anyway even if Carson was starting or Gabbert. And no non of the QBs are good enough to be drafted in the top 5 let alone the top 10. They could easy go after Dalton, Ponder, or Mallet in 2nd/3rd. It is not a good year to take a QB in the top 10 because this QB sucks at the top. They could easy just wait for Luck or Moore next year because they will be picking in the top 5 again. That is to say if there is a season.

bored of education
03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Yea they can go into the season with Jordan or LeFevour as starting QB because it is not like they will be a real good team anyway even if Carson was starting or Gabbert. And no non of the QBs are good enough to be drafted in the top 5 let alone the top 10. They could easy go after Dalton, Ponder, or Mallet in 2nd/3rd. It is not a good year to take a QB in the top 10 because this QB sucks at the top. They could easy just wait for Luck or Moore next year because they will be picking in the top 5 again. That is to say if there is a season.

Kellen Moore? Won't even be a top 4 round pick.

TACKLE
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
sex please

Philatio???

bored of education
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Pat Sims you cannot go in to a season knowing who will or will not be available in the draft next season. Thinking like that is why your team sucks, you must build the team with the best players that fit now, not accumulate talent and knowing 'x qb will be available next year, so lets take Harry Potter DE this year"

Scotty D
03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Really? I heard that it was likely that Avril was coming back. If he doesn't, that would definitely change things.

Avril has 3 years of service time and was tendered at a 1st and 3rd level so he isn't going anywhere. McBride was tendered but has 4 years of service time so he could potentially be a free agent.

Pat Sims 90
03-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Pat Sims you cannot go in to a season knowing who will or will not be available in the draft next season. Thinking like that is why your team sucks, you must build the team with the best players that fit now, not accumulate talent and knowing 'x qb will be available next year, so lets take Harry Potter DE this year"

The Bengals are no ordinary team. They dont operate like other teams do. Mike Brown runs them.

gpngc
03-12-2011, 10:40 PM

Who is this?

bored of education
03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
He is a wizard when it comes to pass rush.

TACKLE
03-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Comic-Sans?!?!?!?

Hey man, this mock is Serious Buisness for a reason. http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif