PDA

View Full Version : Dareus = Spears???

UTPATS
03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
After reading several opinions out there on our draft thread, I wanted to weigh in on a conversation about Alamabma DL prospect Marcell Dareus.

Although I like what this guy brings to the table, I can't help but see Marcus Spears in an Alabama uniform. Completely dominate in college, but has the potential to be completely average in the NFL. I am probably one of the few guys on here who actually appreciated what Spears brought to us since we drafted him.

However, if we are discussing taking a player that high, I do not think a "Spears" type of player should be taken at #9. If you remember, the same year we got Spears, we drafted D-Ware early in the first round. So why would we pass up on a talent like that for a guy who will probably be a solid starting DE for someone. Not saying that a solid DE is a bad thing, but when there are other IMPACT, playmaking guys there at 9, lets take one of them. If we trade back, then take a guy like Spears there if you want.

Comparison:

Spears: DE, 6'4" 307 lbs. - 23 Reps, 5.05 40/yrd, 31 Vert,
SoYear: 46 tot tkls, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT
JrYear: 49 tot tkls, 13 TFL, 6 sacks, 1 INT
SrYear: 49 tot tkls, 17 TFL, 9 sacks, 1 INT

2004 First-Team All-America (Walter Camp, AFCA, AP)
2004 Second-Team All-America (Sports Illustrated)
2004 First-Team All-SEC (AP, SEC Coaches, Collegefootballnews.com)
2003 First-Team All-SEC (AP)
2001 Freshman All-SEC (Coaches)

DRAFTCOUNTDOWN Ranking: #2 DE
Scout.com Ranking: #2 DE

Dareus: DT, 6'3 306 lbs. - 24 Reps, 4.93 40/yrd, 27 Vert,
SoYear: 33 tot tkls, 9 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 1 INT
JrYear: 34 tot tkls, 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks

2010 First Team All SEC
2010 BCS NCG Def MVP
2010 3rd Team AP All American

DRAFTCOUNTDOWN Ranking: #1 DT
Scout.com Ranking: #2 DT

D-Unit
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
We were just talking about him in the draft thread. You could've added this there. I've got reservations on my enthusiasm about him, but I also don't think we need to worry. He won't be there for us. If he is and we take him then I hope we intend on playing him at NT.

romo4prez415
03-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Dareus is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Marcus Spears could ever think of being. On tape he grades out as the best player overall in this draft. I dont see the comparison at all especially when you consider that he was the sole focus in the Bama front 7 week in and week out and wasnt on a talented line like LSU had and Spears bulked up in order to play the 5 technique after playing pure defensive end in college.

PS You forgot to mention that Dareus's combine numbers are at 319 lbs. Big difference than 306.

UTPATS
03-13-2011, 09:56 PM
D- I know, it had being going on for pages and pages, I thought it was worth a separate thread.

Romo - both of these weights are from their respective teams' website.

As far as grading out, Spears was graded pretty high as well. And he was arguably more productive in college than Dareus was.

LizardState
03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Dareus is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Marcus Spears could ever think of being. On tape he grades out as the best player overall in this draft. I dont see the comparison at all especially when you consider that he was the sole focus in the Bama front 7 week in and week out and wasnt on a talented line like LSU had and Spears bulked up in order to play the 5 technique after playing pure defensive end in college.

PS You forgot to mention that Dareus's combine numbers are at 319 lbs. Big difference than 306.

It's true. Dareus has an entirely different body style + 13 lbs heavier as noted.

Dareus has overwhelming & massively superior upper body strength -- that's what will make an effective pass rusher in the NFL more than anything, he can bullrush those huge OTs.

D-Unit
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
It's true. Dareus has an entirely different body style + 13 lbs heavier as noted.

Dareus has overwhelming & massively superior upper body strength -- that's what will make an effective pass rusher in the NFL more than anything, he can bullrush those huge OTs.
But he didn't show that "massively superior upper body strength" in the bench press at the combine.

I'll stick to my guns. He's a scary prospect, and I wouldn't want to draft him that high to be my 3-4 DE. I have better uses for that pick. If we him at NT, that's a different story. I'd be for that.

romo4prez415
03-19-2011, 12:11 AM
But he didn't show that "massively superior upper body strength" in the bench press at the combine.

I'll stick to my guns. He's a scary prospect, and I wouldn't want to draft him that high to be my 3-4 DE. I have better uses for that pick. If we him at NT, that's a different story. I'd be for that.

Like who single digit wonderlic Peterson? And now you people see why I dont think the kid is a safety. He plays dumb and the wonderlic is reflective of that. He's a press man corner only, he cant play off, and he cant be trusted in zone.

Trogdor
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Like who single digit wonderlic Peterson? And now you people see why I dont think the kid is a safety. He plays dumb and the wonderlic is reflective of that. He's a press man corner only, he cant play off, and he cant be trusted in zone.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the wonderlic displaying NFL understanding. Just like bench press numbers, 40 times, and cone drills. Multiple QBs jumped 10-15 points from their first test and second. You prepare for different areas of the combine depending on your position. Is it sad that a partially college educated person can score a 9? Yes. Is it entirely likely that a low wonderlic score for a DB has little to no effect on his comprehension of WR branching and reading the QB... Yes.