PDA

View Full Version : Best 3rd Round ILB

xpmar9x
03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm going to say Martez Wilson and Quan Sturdivant will both be gone in Rds1 and 2. So who is the best ILB besides those two.

Greg Jones - Mich St - 6'0 242 - 4.75 40 - 21 BP
Colin McCarthy - Miami - 6'1 238 - 4.59 40 - 23 BP
Kelvin Sheppard - LSU - 6'2 250 - 4.64 40 - 22 BP
Nate Irving - N.C. St - 6'1 240 - 4.68 40 - ?? BP

So if you were going to draft an ILB in the 3rd round, who would you take and why?

SimonRath
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
1. Sheppard
2. Irving
3. Jones
4. McCarthy

TitanHope
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
My personal preference would go Greg Jones, Nate Irving, Kelvin Sheppard, and finally Colin McCarthy dragging up the rear in the 5th Round.

descendency
03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Irving (no homer... not much anyways)
Jones
Sheppard
McCarthy

ElectricEye
03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Irving is the class of that round as far as MLB's go and probably one of the real prizes of the third.

BuddyCHRIST
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Nate Irving = Stud

Grizzlegom
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Depends what I need:

If I'm running a 3-4, I'll take Kelvin Sheppard. He's got ideal size/speed/strength/skillset for that formation.

If I'm running the 4-3 and need a pure MLB, I'd probably go with Greg Jones. Being a Big Ten fan, I already knew he wasn't near the athlete everyone was dubbing him to be but he's still got the production, experience, instincts and intelligence that I want from my MLB.

If I'm running a 4-3 and currently have a tweener MLB/WLB on my team and need another versatile guy then I'd look at McCarthy and Irving but I'd lean McCarthy due to Irving's injury history.

rawdawg
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
This is an interesting question. I like all 4 guys, and have some different opinions than the others who have posted here.

I'd probably rate them: Sheppard, McCarthy, Irving, Jones. But they are all pretty close.

I think Sheppard is the most capable of playing 4-3 MLB. I think he has the leadership ability and best best ability to take on blocks and be a force in the run game. I think he can also play inside in the 3-4 and SLB in 4-3.

I really like McCarthy. I think he is the most versatile of the bunch. I don't see him as a MLB right away (maybe ever), but he can play inside in 3-4, and both OLB spots in 4-3. Worst case scenario, he's going to be a beast on special teams and a solid nickel LB right away.

Irving is a really good football player. I think he's more of a WLB, but anywhere you put him, he's going to play well. Seems like a guy like London Fletcher that will always be undervalued, but will come to play every week.

Jones, to me, has the best tape of the 3. He made a lot of plays at Michigan St. But he looks more like a WILL LB than Irving. He just doesn't seem strong enough to me to take on a lot of blockers and is better turning and running after the ball. He could play in the middle for a Cover 2 team that is strong upfront, I guess though.

Babylon
03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
ILB in a 3-4 give me Mark Herzlich.

CheeseKnuckles
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Nate Irving will be a steal in the later rounds of this draft... IMO

wicket
03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
depents on the scheme but in general

1 Jones
2 Irving
3 Sheppard
78 McCarthey

mario
03-15-2011, 06:24 PM
I would draft Josh Bynes in the 5th-7th range before Kelvin Sheppard in the 3rd (which would be my first choice out of that 4 players bunch)

RWills
03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
This really depends on scheme

but Quan in rd 1-2 ? I doubt see it IMO

SenorGato
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Either one of the two main UNC LBs....that said of the 4 there I'll go with Sheppard for "my" 3-4.

DBNYDP
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Kelvin/Irving/McCarthy/Jones
Kelvin has the best instincts in this draft and is one of the best leaders as well. Great NFL size, excellent tackling technique, and decent speed.
Irving is a worker, and while he won't stand out physically, he is a leader and can make all the tackles out there.
McCarthy is the most physical prospect of them all, but his tape is pretty lackkuster, but he still has pretty nice upside.
Jones has great tape but has absolutely bombed this offseason.
I could see Jones dropping past the 3rd.

Josh Bynes is pretty bad. I don't think he even cracks an NFL roster.

ellsy82
03-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Lets not forget K.J. Wright or Mason Foster. Both of those guys have had solid careers. And while Foster didn't have the best combine, his football prowess cannot be denied. These are both guys that could play 4-3 outside backers or move inside in a 3-4.

Wright reminds me of Jon Beason.

Diehard
03-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Greg Jones - Mich St - 6'0 242 - 4.75 40 - 21 BP
Colin McCarthy - Miami - 6'1 238 - 4.59 40 - 23 BP
Kelvin Sheppard - LSU - 6'2 250 - 4.64 40 - 22 BP
Nate Irving - N.C. St - 6'1 240 - 4.68 40 - ?? BP

Working from this list I'd choose Irving or Sheppard. Both have that defensive leadership you like to see from an inside LB. I really like Irving's intensity. There's also plenty to like about Jones as well, but I'm starting to get concerned he going to be a "great college player, shame about the pros" kind of guy.

However, I'd definitely add Mason Foster to the list of 3rd round LB's. He has the tools to succeed at any LB spot in a 4-3.

rawdawg
03-16-2011, 07:16 AM
I think Mason Foster goes in the late 2nd. I think he's slightly above the 4 listed in the original post. KJ Wright, I'd put right at the end of this group. But as a Bears fan, I'd take him over Irving and Jones because I like his ability as a future SLB, and the other 2 are more fits behind Urlacher and/or Briggs at MLB or WLB.

thegreatone
03-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Kelvin Sheppard for me.

Irving is a close second though.

SenorGato
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Lets not forget K.J. Wright or Mason Foster. Both of those guys have had solid careers. And while Foster didn't have the best combine, his football prowess cannot be denied. These are both guys that could play 4-3 outside backers or move inside in a 3-4.

Wright reminds me of Jon Beason.

Wright and Sheppard IMO are the two best 3-4 ILB prospects in this class.

Don Vito
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Out of those guys give me either Greg Jones or Nate Irving.

FUNBUNCHER
03-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Mario Harvey, ILB(?) from Marshall, (6 foot, 257#) ran a 4.43 at his pro day!!

Anybody know more than a little about this guy???

DBNYDP
03-20-2011, 01:47 AM
He's pretty heavy (and I saw him at like 245), and hits pretty hard from what I've seen. Good speed, but is rather stiff. His technique is pretty bad, not the best tackling form, takes bad angles, and he has a hard time overcoming blocks. Personally I've felt he is around the same level of prospect that Casey Matthews is, a 5th rounder who will be a good gunner and backup.

I like K.J Wright as a 4-3 SLB and a 3-4 ILB, he has good speed, and great size. I think he'll be good in either scheme, but he actually can turn his hips pretty well. I think he would be a solid pick in the 4th, and be a great SLB in the future. But he is raw, not the most instinctive player, and isn't the best schooled player either.

Foster isn't a 3rd round ILB. He'll probably go in the second. If he doesn't he would be a steal in the third, and would be at the top of my list. Handled blocks at the Senior Bowl very well, we know he is a tackling machine, and he can blitz from the inside. Fluid in coverage too. One of the most complete LB prospects this year, I like him in the third to really any team that need an LB, I think he is one of the few prospects that could play really every LB position with success. As an OLB in the 3-4, he might not be the best blitzer, but I think he would be a lot like Manny Lawson there.

SenorGato
03-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Mason Foster is not Manny Lawson as a 3-4 OLB...maybe Victor Hobson. I do think he's a pretty decent ILB prospect there...I like Sheppard better overall.

TACKLE
03-20-2011, 03:46 AM
kj wright being compared to jon beason?
mason foster being compared to manny lawson?

what the hell is going on in here?

DBNYDP
03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I was referring to how Mason Foster really won't be a great rusher, but good in other aspects of the game. I like him more as an ILB prospect but I was saying he "could" play there too.

SilentJaguar
03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I'd go with Irving. Love that kid's intensity.

GaMeTiMe
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Don't see Sturdivant or even Martez Wilson in the 2nd. Maybe Wilson very late in the 2nd if he gets lucky, but I don't think teams like him as much as a lot of people here do.

Greg Jones also looks like he'll fall out of the 3rd, and McCarthy I consider a special teams prospect more than anything right now.

Don't know as much about Irvin as others but he seems to get a lot of love here from what I've read and looks to be a player with a high floor. I'll take him over the guys I've named, except for maybe Sturdivant, but I think Irvin still has the potential to be just as good if not better.

Sheppard is right behind Irvin as far as ceilings go, because I think at the most he can be a solid rotational 3-4 ILB, nothing less, nothing more.

Foster I'd probably put ahead of Irvin and Sturdivant, but he's more likely to end up outside, although I feel the same about Wilson and Jones.

1) Mason Foster (mid-2nd/early-3rd)
2) Quan Sturdivant (3rd round)
3) Nate Irvin (mid-3rd/early-4th)
4) Kelvin Sheppard (early-3rd/early-4th)
5) Martez Wilson (mid-3rd/mid-4th)
6) Greg Jones (4th round)
7) Colin McCarthy (mid-4th/mid-5th)

This year's linebacker class sucks.

rawdawg
03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Um yeah, Martez Wilson will be gone by 45. Mid 4th is just plain insanity.

SolidGold
03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
What about Wujo from Maryland...dude is a tackling machine and was timed in the 4.6 range at his pro day. He probably isn't a third round but it seems he is flying really under the radar.

FUNBUNCHER
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Martez Wilson is a near lock for the end of the first round, and I almost feel the same about Mason Foster.

Those guys are both top 50 picks at worst.

6'4, 250# ILBs who run 4.4 don't last until the 4th round.

I think there are several future starters at ILB in this draft, maybe no superstars but solid starting 11 type prospects.

SenorGato
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
What about Mason Foster says first round pick?

yourfavestoner
03-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Dunno much about the other guys, but I don't even think Jones is draftable.

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
What about Mason Foster says first round pick?
6'1, 245#, ran a 4.6 at the combine, can play almost any LB position, fits into either a 4-3 or 3-4 base, instinctive, range, productivity.

Foster should be able to come in and start as a rookie IMO.
From pick 25 down, I think Foster is a great value for a team looking to upgrade that position on their football team.

If you need a true ILB, who do you take ahead of him??

I place instincts at the top of the list for desired LB traits, then range and pursuit. Foster grades at the top in all three categories.

I think if Foster runs at U Dub's pro day, he will probably run in the 4.5s.

If Jerod Mayo received a 1st round grade in 2008, I see little difference between the two as prospects.