PDA

View Full Version : Will the Carolina Panthers Screw Up the #1 Pick?

bucfan12
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Over their past few drafts, Carolina has done an awful job at scouting talent and managing their picks. For example, they traded a future 1st rounder for Everette Brown, who they took in the 2nd round in 2009. He was no where near worth that price when 2010 was full of talent.

Or last year when they were trying to move up, what 16 spots in round 2 to draft Jimmy Clausen? Or trading this years 2nd round pick to draft Armanti Edwards at the end of round 3?

Not only that, but the players they've drafted recently haven't really panned out. Sure they might have gotten a steal in Greg Hardy last year, but thats it.

Honestly, I can see them really screwing up with this year's 1st overall pick. I have seen many Mock drafts with Bowers, Darius, Fairly, AJ Green, Gabbert and Cam Newton all going their at 1 and even Peterson most recently.

They are doing their HW deeply on Cam Newton and something tells me he will be the pick. I honestly don't think management in Carolina has a clue what they are doing over the past few years.

Anyone agree?

Coombser
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Come back to me in 3 years...then I'll tell you if they screwed the #1 pick up...

Babylon
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Over their past few drafts, Carolina has done an awful job at scouting talent and managing their picks. For example, they traded a future 1st rounder for Everette Brown, who they took in the 2nd round in 2009. He was no where near worth that price when 2010 was full of talent.

Or last year when they were trying to move up, what 16 spots in round 2 to draft Jimmy Clausen? Or trading this years 2nd round pick to draft Armanti Edwards at the end of round 3?

Not only that, but the players they've drafted recently haven't really panned out. Sure they might have gotten a steal in Greg Hardy last year, but thats it.

Honestly, I can see them really screwing up with this year's 1st overall pick. I have seen many Mock drafts with Bowers, Darius, Fairly, AJ Green, Gabbert and Cam Newton all going their at 1 and even Peterson most recently.

They are doing their HW deeply on Cam Newton and something tells me he will be the pick. I honestly don't think management in Carolina has a clue what they are doing over the past few years.

Anyone agree?

Sounds like you're already predicting they'll screw it up no matter who they pick, who do you think they should take?

jrdrylie
03-15-2011, 08:59 PM
If they go Newton or Gabbert, I don't think it will work out for them. Peterson is obviously the top player in the draft and should be the pick. I'd put the odds of them actually drafting him at 25%. The odds of their draft pick busting i'd put at 10%.

bucfan12
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you're already predicting they'll screw it up no matter who they pick, who do you think they should take?

In my opinion, either Peterson or AJ Green. Carolina has absolutely no Weapons on offense and AJ Green can help out a veteran QB (McNabb?) who I think the Panthers should go after.

Gabbert wouldn't be a horrible choice either, but I think if they go QB, they are going to buy into the Cam Newton hype.

Roddoliver
03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
They drafted Clausen in the 2nd round last year, and this QB class does not look good at all. Maybe they should keep Clausen and Moore for one more season and improve the other areas of the team. But I saw the Panthers making it clear that QB is their #1 need, and new regimes mean new QBs.

TACKLE
03-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Chances they screw up the #1 pick? 0% apparently. ;)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/c_newton_mock_031511A_CP.jpg

NotRickJames
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
They should just draft Patrick Peterson. Defensive player for Ron Rivera & arguably the best draft prospect this year. Reaching for Cam or Blaine at number one screams desperation to me.

Don't really need AJ Green. They like Gettis and LaFell.

dannyz
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Why is it that people were Defending Clausen when all the Luck Talk was happening but no one cares about him now when it's Gabbert or Newton? People were like give Clausen a chance but now it's he sucks and needs to go.

Halsey
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Signing McNabb would be another huge mistake for Carolina. What's he going to do for them? Make them suck a little less for a year or two?

NotRickJames
03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
They should just stick with Clausen for another year. What's the worst that could happen?

He improves, and shows he can be the franchise QB.

He sucks, they're in position to draft a Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. Hell, maybe they'd be in a position to get Luck again.

Halsey
03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
What are people missing about Clausen? Who actually thinks he's going to be a franchise QB? I liked him last year, but I've learned since then. NFL teams obviously didn't like him enough to take him before pick 48. He looked terrible when he played and he doesn't come across as having the mental tools of a franchise QB. Carolina will just be taking a risk on another QB next year if they stick with Clausen. At least Clausen will be helping them compete for a shot to pick #1 and take Luck.

cajuncorey
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
they should trade down and draft an offensive line for jimmy klausen

PossibleCabbage
03-15-2011, 10:15 PM
How are we evaluating "screw up"... if they get a player who's a decent starter, but they didn't get a star or the best player in the draft, would you say they screwed up?

bucfan12
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
How are we evaluating "screw up"... if they get a player who's a decent starter, but they didn't get a star or the best player in the draft, would you say they screwed up?

In the past few years, the franchise has been absolutely terrible at managing their picks, scouting talent and making stupid selections that don't/haven't really panned out (ex. trading a future 1st for Everette Brown to take him in the 2nd round of 2009 draft). That's just one example.

When you have the number 1 pick, you're supposed to find an elite player. Not just an average or solid starter. Is Patrick Peterson an elite type of prospect? Yes. But at what position? Many seem to think he's better off to play FS where he can roam the field. But FS's don't go number 1. Neither do CBs. Is he a Revis/Asomugah type player? None of them went #1 overall or even top 5 and they are the top 2 CBs in the league.

Honestly, taking a QB is a reach at 1, so why not give Clausen 1 more chance. And in return, get him a weapon in AJ Green. However, I think they will buy into this Cam Newton hype, as many scouts and analysts think they are deeply doing their homework on him and seems to love his upside.

DBNYDP
03-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I think if the Panthers got a QB it would be a mistake..
God knows this isn't the first time we've made a bad evaluation because we have based it off one year..
And it is at the QB position too.

IrishBrowns
03-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm predicting the Panthers will trade out of the 1st pick..I juust don't know who yet though..if it happens though that teams gotttta realllly love em' with the whole new CBA possibly changing soon.

Caulibflower
03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
You win by building a team. I say they tale Peterson, the best player on the board. They need too many players right now to sink the ship by drafting a QB just to make a big splash.

BuddyCHRIST
03-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I think they might, I would usually go with the "Take a QB unless you have one" but none of the QBs are even close to sure fire things (or even guys I would really bet on being good). D-Lineman not named Suh are sketchy imo with work ethic after they get paid, I think they should just take Peterson.

ChiFan24
03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Why is it that people were Defending Clausen when all the Luck Talk was happening but no one cares about him now when it's Gabbert or Newton? People were like give Clausen a chance but now it's he sucks and needs to go.

You've said this twice now. It's been stupid both times. Two different groups of people.

Wrathman
03-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Don't really need AJ Green. They like Gettis and LaFell.

I like burgers and fries, but it doesn't mean I'll pass up Fillet Mignon if I have the opportunity to eat it.

Gettis and LaFell are not reasons to pass on Green. Having higher priorities than a wide receiver at 1/1 would be.

ellsy82
03-16-2011, 01:23 AM
I think they'll be just fine, and will rebuild a championship team long before they have to rebuild. They're already rebuilding, I don't think they can afford to rebuild again. End rant.

PossibleCabbage
03-16-2011, 01:50 AM
I think they'll be just fine, and will rebuild a championship team long before they have to rebuild. They're already rebuilding, I don't think they can afford to rebuild again. End rant.

So are they finished rebuilding at this point, or do they need to continue rebuilding until they've actually built a good team? Since from what I have seen on the field in the last year, they have not actually built a decent team yet and should probably finish doing that before they conclude that they're done rebuilding.

So from my perspective, they are currently rebuilding, they don't need to re-rebuild what they've already built during this rebuilding, but if they conclude that they don't need to continue rebuilding because they're good enough, that they're simply wrong.

jnew76
03-16-2011, 05:04 AM
I think we can assume that when Football resumes, there will be a new Rookie wage scale and salary pool structure.

However, there is a chance that the Judge Dody(spelling?) will reinstate the previous labor agreement rules until a new agreement is reached... If the new agreement is not reached prior to the time the 1rst round picks are being signed then I assume the previous rookie contract structure would be re-instated as well... This would make it hard to justify taking a CB, (Peterson} at #1... Those kinds of monster bonuses are generally reserved for QB's and LT's... Neither group seems to be on par with the groups of OT's and QB's in recent drafts.

If somehow owners and players settle the labor dispute and implement a new Rookie wage scale prior to the 1rst roung picks signing, then I think Peterson's chances of being drafted at #1 increase dramatically.

Under the old system, I think all roads point to them drafting Gabbert or Newton... Maybe Dareus, Quinn(if medicaly cleared) or Bowers (if medically cleared).

I know I am dreaming, but it would be nice to have a New CBA prior to the draft... I think it would put the 1rst pick in play and increase the movement of all the teams as a whole.

bitonti
03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
everyone says Peterson is the safe pick... ok lets explore that he's a 215 pound corner/safety tweener kinda like Charles Woodson. Will a team be able to take him 1 overall and use him on returns? In man to man coverage I like Prince better than PP7. Peterson got schooled by both Julio Jones and AJ Green. He's not a Revis type of shutdown player.... he's more of a gambling ball hawk zone type.

Don't get me wrong Peterson is very very very good but my point is that none of these prospects are all that safe. there is no Suh in this draft.

and in the big picture a corner back doesn't help them win more games. That team needs a new QB, and they need it now. Clausen sucks terribly bad he ain't getting better.

Soapy Papoose
03-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Since 2001, when Carolina has had a first round pick, they have typically done well:
2008: Jonathan Stewart
2007: Jon Beason
06: DeAngelo Williams
05: Thomas Davis
04: Chris Gamble (meh)
03: Jordan Gross
02: Julius Peppers
01: Dan Morgan
So I would suspect they pick well.

Babylon
03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Since 2001, when Carolina has had a first round pick, they have typically done well:
2008: Jonathan Stewart
2007: Jon Beason
06: DeAngelo Williams
05: Thomas Davis
04: Chris Gamble (meh)
03: Jordan Gross
02: Julius Peppers
01: Dan Morgan
So I would suspect they pick well.

That to me is good use of their draft choices and i believe only Peppers was a top of the draft guy. Gross went 8th but the rest look like later picks than that.

One big problem this year for them is losing the flexibility of not having that #33 pick. And also not having a sure fire top of the draft player.

BeerBaron
03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/looking-further-at-the-panthers-will-select-cam-newton-story/

According to Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer, the “Panthers will select Cam Newton.”

They also supposedly don't care much for Blaine Gabbert either.

nepg
03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
It's going to be really hard to **** up that pick. The Panthers have sooo many needs and there are a lot of players that can be justified with the pick... But they'll **** it up.

nepg
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
That to me is good use of their draft choices and i believe only Peppers was a top of the draft guy. Gross went 8th but the rest look like later picks than that.

One big problem this year for them is losing the flexibility of not having that #33 pick. And also not having a sure fire top of the draft player.

Drafting an injury-prone RB in the first round when you already have a 3-down guy isn't good use of a draft pick (especially when the organization has a horrible history with RB injuries)...

Brent
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
the “Panthers will select Cam Newton.”

they'll **** it up.
I hear an echo.

Coombser
03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Drafting an injury-prone RB in the first round when you already have a 3-down guy isn't good use of a draft pick (especially when the organization has a horrible history with RB injuries)...

Yeah....go look at Stewart's numbers and tell me it's a bad pick...

Halsey
03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah....go look at Stewart's numbers and tell me it's a bad pick...

It's a good pick...in fantasy football. So what if he puts up numbers? Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Jamaal Charles, etc were all picked after the first round that year. A great example of why taking a RB that high isn't always the best use of the pick.

BeerBaron
03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
It's not like he was having 1700 yard seasons. Career high in the 1100, average under 1000....

And most likely, without Williams there, his averages will drop as he gets more carries.

Plus...the number that matters most...team record. Picking first overall? Yeah...

Coombser
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Was anyone arguing with the pick in Stewart's rookie year when he was a great compliment to Williams and they were in the playoffs?

bitonti
03-17-2011, 07:44 AM
funny quote from the "Panthers love Newton" article:

"For years, fans of the Panthers have watched franchise quarterbacks run onto the field at Bank of America Stadium. They line up behind the other team's center.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/15/2143820/all-signs-point-to-newton-as-panthers.html
"

nepg
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Was anyone arguing with the pick in Stewart's rookie year when he was a great compliment to Williams and they were in the playoffs?
<---- It never wasn't a bad pick. Stewart's been good, but he's also been injured just like in college. Just because you get a good player doesn't make it a good pick.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-17-2011, 09:52 AM
We also got Otah in 08...who is injury prone too.

I was never a fan of taking Stewart, fwiw. Then again, I was a much bigger believer (correctly, I might add) in Williams than the coaching staff was.

stephenson86
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
everyone says Peterson is the safe pick... ok lets explore that he's a 215 pound corner/safety tweener kinda like Charles Woodson. Will a team be able to take him 1 overall and use him on returns? In man to man coverage I like Prince better than PP7. Peterson got schooled by both Julio Jones and AJ Green. He's not a Revis type of shutdown player.... he's more of a gambling ball hawk zone type.

Don't get me wrong Peterson is very very very good but my point is that none of these prospects are all that safe. there is no Suh in this draft.

and in the big picture a corner back doesn't help them win more games. That team needs a new QB, and they need it now. Clausen sucks terribly bad he ain't getting better.

Agree, I love PP so much but for some reason he reminds me of better Antonio Cromartie, but with similar concerns, Top 10 pick for sure but not 1st.

Halsey
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
If the Panthers took Flacco instead of Stewart, that would have been viewed at the time as screwing up the pick, but they wouldn't be picking #1 this year.

Brent
03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
If the Panthers took Flacco instead of Stewart, that would have been viewed at the time as screwing up the pick, but they wouldn't be picking #1 this year.
http://captainhindsightsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/captain-hindsight1.jpg

TACKLE
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
funny quote from the "Panthers love Newton" article:

"For years, fans of the Panthers have watched franchise quarterbacks run onto the field at Bank of America Stadium. They line up behind the other team's center.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/15/2143820/all-signs-point-to-newton-as-panthers.html
"

From the article

"Newton is hugely controversial. One Charlotte man plans to print anti-Newton T-shirts before the draft. Many of the fans who wear them will contend that Cam is a candidate only because Philadelphia's Michael Vick had an outstanding 2010."

Really Panther fan? C'mon now.

Halsey
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Captain Obvious is proud that you can see it's hindsight, Brent. Some people actually try to learn from the past.

descendency
03-17-2011, 10:33 AM
You win by building a team. I say they tale Peterson, the best player on the board. They need too many players right now to sink the ship by drafting a QB just to make a big splash.

You win by having a great QB. Look at this years playoffs.

Brent
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Captain Obvious is proud that you can see it's hindsight, Brent. Some people actually try to learn from the past.
You're right; clearly, I am not learning from the past. Forgive me, Halsey. I only seek to win your approval.

Komp
03-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I am not sure why Carolina would give up on Clausen considering they fed him to the wolves last year and spent a first round pick on him. There is no evidence that if you put a decent team in front of him he cannot get the job done. I don't think drafting a QB with character concerns (see Russell, Jamarcus) is a great idea, although Newton's running ability might be utilized for survival purposes in Carolina's anemic offense. Carolina should learn from other teams and draft from the lines out. If that means they pick Dareus to get the best lineman (offensive or defensive) available, that is what they should do in my opinion. They don't have a lot of depth at DT, and Dareus can play every down and be moved around on that DL.

Trogdor
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I am not sure why Carolina would give up on Clausen considering they fed him to the wolves last year and spent a first round pick on him. There is no evidence that if you put a decent team in front of him he cannot get the job done. I don't think drafting a QB with character concerns (see Russell, Jamarcus) is a great idea, although Newton's running ability might be utilized for survival purposes in Carolina's anemic offense. Carolina should learn from other teams and draft from the lines out. If that means they pick Dareus to get the best lineman (offensive or defensive) available, that is what they should do in my opinion. They don't have a lot of depth at DT, and Dareus can play every down and be moved around on that DL.

Hold on, hold on. I'm a let you finish but Clausen was taken in the middle of the second (pick 48).

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I actually think Carolina is in a very good position. They are essentially free to just go BPA. If the BPA is a QB, it's no big deal because Clausen wasn't a massive investment anyway. If the BPA isn't a QB, Clausen could still turn out to be their guy. Before Luck didn't declare, he was clear BPA. Now, it's a little more muddy, but Newton? I would think BPA would be Peterson or Fairley, tbh. If they do go Newton though, I'm not complaining as a Denver fan.

BeerBaron
03-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Bold 1: False, as has been pointed out.

Bold 2: Not a good comparison. The only similarities is that they are both big bodied, with big arms, out of SEC schools. Newton is 1000x the athlete Russell was, and any character concerns you can bring up about him don't include the one that absolutely killed Russell: Laziness.

I actually think Carolina is in a very good position. They are essentially free to just go BPA. If the BPA is a QB, it's no big deal because Clausen wasn't a massive investment anyway. If the BPA isn't a QB, Clausen could still turn out to be their guy. Before Luck didn't declare, he was clear BPA. Now, it's a little more muddy, but Newton? I would think BPA would be Peterson or Fairley, tbh. If they do go Newton though, I'm not complaining as a Denver fan.

Dear god. Could you imagine? Newton, Tebow, Brady Quinn and Neckbeard all on one team? (At least until Quinn is deservedly cut as the worst non-Todd Collins QB in the league.)

Diehard
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
(At least until Quinn is deservedly cut as the worst non-Todd Collins QB in the league.)

That fact that Chris Simms is still on a roster somewhere undermines this statement.

That is all.

03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
That fact that Chris Simms is still on a roster somewhere undermines this statement.

That is all.

Bradlee Van Pelt to Patrick Ramsey, Ramsey to Simms, Simms to Quinn.... it's a lineage of ineptitude that would make anyone proud.

Halsey
03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Why settle for a QB if you aren't confident he's the guy. The Panthers will likely just be picking a QB next year if they don't this year. Just like last year, people will assume "Next year will be a better QB class", but that doesn't mean it will. This may be their best chance to get a long term starting quality QB. If Clausen turns into the next Joe Montana, that's not a bad problem to have. QBs can be traded. Just look at what the Broncos got for Cutler.

BeerBaron
03-17-2011, 01:23 PM

That is all.

Todd Collins accounted for -14 yards of offense against the Panthers counting lost yardage on sacks and INT returns against him. His QB rating for the season was a 5.9.

I win. Todd Collins is the worst QB still on an NFL roster. (At least until the season starts and his ass is out of the league.)

katnip
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Come back to me in 3 years...then I'll tell you if they screwed the #1 pick up...

Pretty much. I remember at my brothers little draft gathering a few years back. I was the only saying good pick for the teams Jets/Texans drafting; Mario Williams, D'Brick Ferguson. Everyone there was like why????????!!!

Because of the three QB prospects that year, and Reggie Bush

Flyboy
03-19-2011, 01:29 AM
I certainly hope for the sake of the NFC South, they do.

nepg
03-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Why settle for a QB if you aren't confident he's the guy. The Panthers will likely just be picking a QB next year if they don't this year. Just like last year, people will assume "Next year will be a better QB class", but that doesn't mean it will. This may be their best chance to get a long term starting quality QB. If Clausen turns into the next Joe Montana, that's not a bad problem to have. QBs can be traded. Just look at what the Broncos got for Cutler.

History says that it's a ******* horrible problem to have.

Roddoliver
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I expect the Panthers to screw up, so here we go with Gabbert at #1

toonsterwu
03-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I'll take a different tack. I think the only way the organization screws this up is if they play it safe. If they feel that there's a chance that one of the QB's will become elite, I think they absolutely have to make the pick. A Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, or AJ Green only marginally change the fortunes of your franchise (and I absolutely would not support drafting AJ Green first overall ... there's very little reason to take a WR first overall).

You delay the inevitable by not going for a QB when everyone in the organization believes one is need (okay exaggerating a bit, but let's face it, few people buy Jimmy Clausen), and every year, people seem to always say, look to next year's draft class for QB's. Well ... let's look. Matt Barkley and Landry Jones? Both are intriguing, but not top of first intriguing as of now. Furthermore, they may never get a chance to pick this high again, and may need to leverage picks at a later date to try and move up for a QB if they find that they need one. Finally, it's fairly clear that the cost of a top pick is going to come down a bit whenever the CBA is signed.

I think the best pick for them to do, provided they believe that one of the QB's has a CHANCE at being elite, is to draft a QB. If they somehow grade it so that no QB has even a remote chance of being elite, then I would suggest going with Peterson or Dareus. I think their biggest mistakes would be to draft either an AJ Green or a Von Miller first overall. There's no purpose in drafting a WR or LB first overall. The positional value isn't strong enough, however safe those guys might be (and all prospects have the potential to bust).

03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I'll take a different tack. I think the only way the organization screws this up is if they play it safe. If they feel that there's a chance that one of the QB's will become elite, I think they absolutely have to make the pick. A Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, or AJ Green only marginally change the fortunes of your franchise (and I absolutely would not support drafting AJ Green first overall ... there's very little reason to take a WR first overall).

You delay the inevitable by not going for a QB when everyone in the organization believes one is need (okay exaggerating a bit, but let's face it, few people buy Jimmy Clausen), and every year, people seem to always say, look to next year's draft class for QB's. Well ... let's look. Matt Barkley and Landry Jones? Both are intriguing, but not top of first intriguing as of now. Furthermore, they may never get a chance to pick this high again, and may need to leverage picks at a later date to try and move up for a QB if they find that they need one. Finally, it's fairly clear that the cost of a top pick is going to come down a bit whenever the CBA is signed.

I think the best pick for them to do, provided they believe that one of the QB's has a CHANCE at being elite, is to draft a QB. If they somehow grade it so that no QB has even a remote chance of being elite, then I would suggest going with Peterson or Dareus. I think their biggest mistakes would be to draft either an AJ Green or a Von Miller first overall. There's no purpose in drafting a WR or LB first overall. The positional value isn't strong enough, however safe those guys might be (and all prospects have the potential to bust).

I agree with that as well. They should just go BPA, and if they believe a QB is BPA(which IMO would equate to elite potential) they should go with it. You did forget Andrew Luck though in your QBs for next year lol. But in order for that to happen, they'd need to be the worst team in the league again, which is unlikely.

BlindSite
03-20-2011, 03:57 AM
This has been a painful read through.

First of all, the Panthers first round picks have by in large been pretty good. The majority of their largely successful teams ones that made playoffs, superbowl and won divisions were at their core staffed by drafted players. The title of the thread is just from a bucc homer who obviously hates more than he cares to think.

Whomever the Panthers pick it'll be a calculated move.

If I'm pulling the trigger it's either Peterson or Dareus.

Let me also add that Tom Sorenson is the charlotte observers worst poster who pretty much caters to the lowest common denominator sports fans and has very little in the way of intelligent analysis in any of his articles.

That said, the Newton pick wouldn't be a big surprise. More and more coaches and scouts have come out to say that his best bet in a system is to be in a vertical passing offense, Chudzinski is installing just that type of offense.

The idea is to give the reigns of the offense to the backs and allow whomever is throwing passes to look deep. If it were Newton at the helm it would also help keep defenders away from the LOS giving him the opportunity to run with the ball.

Would I like the pick? No, would I understand it and be optimistic? Yes.

Either way if you want to rag on drafting look at a guy like Gruden or the Al Davis, Carolina is average to above average when it comes to drafting talent. Not much better, certainly no worse.

Either way, DT, CB or QB I think they'll find an UPGRADE over what's currently on the roster and that's all the team should be looking for at this point. If they think there's a franchise QB there, fine go for it, but screw it up? **** no.

Babylon
03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
^

Like the above post. I'm repeating myself here again but i think the lack of that pick at the top of the second is a factor. To me if there are any takers i'm trading down a bit in the first to recoup some draft choices and i'd be just as comfortable with my options at my new position.

stephenson86
03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
You take a QB if you need one and move on with that guy, if they hold out for next year they may not be in a position to draft Luck and that's before making the point that Luck and Barkley (top 2 next year) may not pan out in the NFL.

gpngc
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
They may not make the pick.

Buffalo, San Francisco, and Minnesota could possibly trade up for Gabbert or Newton.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/19/2156231/panthers-no-1-dilemma-keep-or.html

With the definite rookie wage scale, teams wouldn't be as reluctant to deal up - there will be no ridiculous $ figure associated with any particular pick like there has been the past few years.

Babylon
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Buffalo, San Francisco, and Minnesota could possibly trade up for Gabbert or Newton.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/19/2156231/panthers-no-1-dilemma-keep-or.html

With the definite rookie wage scale, teams wouldn't be as reluctant to deal up - there will be no ridiculous $ figure associated with any particular pick like there has been the past few years.

I could see someone trading up for the Carolina pick but doubt it would be those 3. Harbaugh is more likely to go with a QB in the second and Buffalo and Minnesota appear to like Locker better. Arizona or Cincinnati would make more sense to me to want to trade up although they may not have to.

jnew76
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Actually, there is another possibility that would prevent trades. Judge Doty could pass an injunction reinstating the old CBA until a new one is negotiated. I believe the players are planning to file this motion prior to the draft. It would do a few things for the players... Enable free agents to sign contracts, enable college UDFA's to sign contracts... currently they cannot. It would also allow top draft picks to sign the huge signing bonuses again. Owners would no doubt appeal and try to still lock out the players because they have no leverage otherwise.

It is all a crap shoot at this point.

Wrathman
03-20-2011, 04:48 PM

This article is pure speculation...not an ounce of information here suggests that this is being looked at. That said, if I was Carolina, I would trade down because nobody stands out as the best player in this draft.

ElectricEye
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
You delay the inevitable by not going for a QB when everyone in the organization believes one is need (okay exaggerating a bit, but let's face it, few people buy Jimmy Clausen), and every year, people seem to always say, look to next year's draft class for QB's. Well ... let's look. Matt Barkley and Landry Jones? Both are intriguing, but not top of first intriguing as of now.

The funny part is that Matt Barkley right now is in the exact same situation draft stock wise Jimmy Clausen was going into his draft eligible season and people were saying similar things about waiting for Clausen next year in 2009. Such is the cycle of the NFL Draft though I suppose.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Barkley has a better arm than Clausen but he does have many other things in common with Jimmy...

It's a good point. Every QB looks good until you have to draft one of them. Then they all suck

49erNation85
03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
IF SF trades up to draft either newton or gabbert I will freaking shot some in the gm office as neither of them are top 5 worthy at al!!!!!!

nepg
03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
The funny part is that Matt Barkley right now is in the exact same situation draft stock wise Jimmy Clausen was going into his draft eligible season and people were saying similar things about waiting for Clausen next year in 2009. Such is the cycle of the NFL Draft though I suppose.

That's not true. Barkley's lived up to his hype and has been a very good, very productive player. As a pro QB prospect, he has few flaws. Jimmy always had a lot of quirks about him.

ElectricEye
03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
That's not true. Barkley's lived up to his hype and has been a very good, very productive player. As a pro QB prospect, he has few flaws. Jimmy always had a lot of quirks about him.

Disagree with that entirely. Barkley's entire future is on the same shaky grounds that Clausen's rested on. Both of them were below the ideal height for NFL quarterbacks and had accuracy issues and threw too many interceptions in spots. Barkley is a good prospect, but I don't think he's a great one like some do. He's going to go under the same hyper analysis every other draft eligible quarterback prospect enters....and he's not going to come out smelling like Andrew Luck either.

Babylon
03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
^

I'd say right now Barkley's height and lack of mobility are against him being a top of the draft player. Personally i'd still take the top 3 from this year over him.