PDA

View Full Version : Has Pat Devlin Debacled Himself Right Out of a Draft Spot?

MikeTheDudeV2
03-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Apparently he showed up 30 minutes late for his pro day. And proceeded to litter the field with overthrows and underthrows. It appears as if his plummeting draft stock just picked up some momentum.

Caulibflower
03-16-2011, 12:33 AM
9.8 m/s/s, in fact.

NotRickJames
03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Has he fallen or what?

Still think someone takes a flier on him in round six or seven.

ellsy82
03-16-2011, 01:25 AM
He really didn't have the best pro day...horrible, in fact. Whether someone takes a chance on him late is up in the air. Mayock still likes him. That'll give him at least a 6th round grade.

Brent
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Apparently he showed up 30 minutes late for his pro day. And proceeded to litter the field with overthrows and underthrows. It appears as if his plummeting draft stock just picked up some momentum.
do you have a link for this information?

king2am
03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
do you have a link for this information?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42096935/sports/player_news

real short - almost exactly what the OP said

fear the elf
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
9.8 m/s/s, in fact.

I lol'd. Gravity is funny :)

Verloren
03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20110316/SPORTS/103160354/Devlin-draws-crowd?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

Mike Mayock's quotes from the article:
"Every once in a while you can see the ball come out kind of funny," said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft chief who attended the workout. "To me, it's usually an indication of a spread quarterback whose footwork hasn't caught up with his arm work yet."

But, Mayock added, Devlin's workout at the school complex showed his improvement since the end of Delaware's season.

"(Tuesday) was kind of an important day for him," Mayock said, "and I thought as the workout went on and he got more and more of a comfort level -- both with his throws and his receivers -- I thought what he showed was more than enough arm strength to compete at the next level. And I thought the big thing was that his accuracy improved as the day went on also."

SeanTaylorRIP
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Pat Devlin was never really good, even at Delaware. Basically he was overrated because Joe Flacco took the same route to Delaware. They are nothing alike though.

K Train
03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
hes tony pike 2. was a product of joe flaccos hype and success and nothing more. i dont think hes draftable before the 7th

ElectricEye
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
He was never the prospect people told you he was in the first place. Simply not that talented. This certainly helps put the Joe Flacco intrigue in perspective though.

RaiderNation
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Once I was able to watch a 2 of his games I never thought he had the look of a NFL QB. He just doesnt have the arm and looked small IMO

RealityCheck
03-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't think he'll be drafted. His stock is just nosediving.

descendency
03-16-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't think he'll be drafted. His stock is just nosediving.

If Jevan Snead wasn't, he sure will not be.

Caulibflower
03-16-2011, 09:13 PM

And Snead was thought of as a potential (albeit future) no. 1 overall at one point. Now that you've brought it up, I wonder why I haven't seen him brought up before in the Locker debates; what tanked his stock so much more than Locker's? People still tout Locker highly (floor of 2nd round by any estimation), but Snead's issues were similar; poor accuracy and decision-making. No one questioned either player's athleticism, with Snead in particular getting credit for an uncommonly strong arm. But I'm digressing majorly from the OP. I agree that Enderle shouldn't be drafted if the precedent is being set by Snead, if both are being looked at because of how they profile physically. They had almost identical QB ratings their last year in school, and Snead obviously played in a far tougher conference.

cajuncorey
03-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Jevan Snead threw his name in the 2010 NFL draft... it was intercepted and returned for a touchdown

ericzedwards
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Okay it's about time. Why this guy was ever considered draftable, I'll never know. Granted, the only games of his I was able to watch were those in the FCS Playoffs. But my Georgia Southern Eagles nearly outgunned him in the semi-finals. Using the flexbone. I'm sorry, but for an FCS quarterback to be deserving of a draft spot, he had better look prolific against that level of competition.

There is no way that Pat Devlin, playing in a spread passing offense, shouldn't have absolutely blown away a triple option team if he was indeed an NFL-caliber quarterback. I swear if you go back and watch the tape of that particular game, you will see that he did not attempt to throw the ball more than ten yards downfield.

I've watched a lot of FCS football games, and I've seen a lot of quarterbacks that looked better than Devlin. Georgia Southern lost four fumbles in that semifinal game. That's why Delaware won. Pat Devlin didn't do anything but stand around looking like the noodle-armed non-factor that he is.

jnew76
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I think Josh Portis has established himself as a more draftable prospect than Devlin at this point. I think he is more talented and has more upside... He comes with a lot more baggage than Devlin off the field, but the 7th round is where you gamble on talent and upside... Portis has more of both IMO.

descendency
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Now that you've brought it up, I wonder why I haven't seen him brought up before in the Locker debates; what tanked his stock so much more than Locker's?

Snead's decision making was "god-awful" on a scale of 1 to 10. He'd be on his own 5 yard line throwing into triple coverages and nearly getting picked off.

I can completely see why someone thought he was a great prospect at QB his sophomore year. Then he just didn't develop his game.

ElectricEye
03-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Plus it came out he was a MAJOR douche. Football was not his first priority.