PDA

View Full Version : BrownLeader Mock 5 Rounds 3/16

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM
FIRST ROUND

1 Carolina Panthers – Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri*
Like it or not Gabbert has all the tools and the mindset to be a franchise guy and the Panthers have clearly pegged the QB position as their #1 need this off season.

2 Denver Broncos – Patrick Peterson S/CB LSU*
Despite the positional value debate about taking a CB/S versus a DE or DT, this draft’s depth allows them to go bpa and still fill their needs later. Dawkins is a good bet not to be back in 11’ and PP could take over at FS right away or learn from one of the best and stay at CB.

3 Buffalo Bills – Cameron Newton QB Auburn*
The Bills have made it clear their interested in Cam and their not one to exactly hide their intentions. I’m sold.

4 Cincinnati Bengals – Marcell Dareus DT Alabama*
Bengals play in the AFC North and have to defend the running games of the Steelers, Ravens and now Browns. Dareus is now clearly over Fairley and is a better fit on the Bengals than Bowers or Quinn because of the emergence of their young DEs. A.J. would be nice and shiny but the Bengals have young talent at the WR/TE positions already.

5 Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
Miller has pretty much cemented himself as a top 5 pick and shouldn’t go any lower than here to the Cards.

6 Cleveland Browns – J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin*
Basically I see Watt as having a much higher floor than that of Fairley or Quinn, both of which, of course, have higher ceilings, but Watt’s style of play fits ideally on the Browns. I get the Carriker comparisons but I don’t think Watt will bust. As for A.J., I completely agree with a CHFF theory elevated to Man Law (http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3677_A_CHFF_theory_elevated_to_Man_Law.html).

7 San Francisco 49ers – Robert Quinn OLB/DE UNC*
Niners haven’t had a premiere rusher for their scheme since it was put in. Quinn is being touted as having the talent to be a potential #1 pick, making it especially hard for the Niners to pass here. Blowing up his pro day might alleviate some of the med concerns.

8 Tennessee Titans – AJ Green WR Georgia*
Outside of Britt and all pro Johnson the Titans don’t have much offensive punch. Green gives them a Randyesque guy to line up next to Britt and makes it easier to entice a coveted FA QB to town… or Kerry Collins. Why not big Nick? I just think Green would be higher on their board now that Fisher is not in town.

9 Dallas Cowboys – Tyron Smith OT USC*
Pass protection is the biggest weakness and Jerry cannot keep putting off this need. Smith showed up with the necessary size at the combine and should smash his pro day and be considered a lock top ten pick. He immediately fits into the right side, but eventually would prompt Free to switch and give the Boys new bookends.

10 Washington Redskins – Julio Jones WR Alabama*
Jones is a top ten talent and shouldn’t get past the Skins. With what Kyle Shanahan did with Andre Johnson, Jones should be in the pro bowl in no time. Unbelievably, he’s also gotten Grossman to look like a competent QB-still not a long term solution but decent enough to not have to make a desperate move in the first for a QB-the second round is a different matter.

11 Houston Texans – Aldon Smith OLB/DE Missouri*
As expected, showed the ability to play in space as a hybrid end. Reminds me of a raw Justin Tuck. He’s getting a lot of buzz at the moment as a potential top 10 pick so landing him here for the new defense looks right.

12 Minnesota Vikings – Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas*
In drills he demonstrated he’s the most gifted passer of this class, plus reportedly has done well in team interviews. He’ll never be a fluid guy outside the pocket and will struggle in the red zone initially until he makes better reads but he would be hard to pass up and pretty risky to try and land later by trading back up.

13 Detroit Lions – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Prince matches up as the best talent that also fills a major need for them. Showed stiffness in his CB drills but could be an elite press man CB that fits well into Schwartz’s scheme.

14 St. Louis Rams – Nick Fairley DT Auburn*
Stock appears to be falling mostly because he’s locked as a 3 tech. only but also over some concerns whether he’s simply cashing in after a monster season. In this projection, if the Browns pass (a big if), it could cause him quite a tumble. In any event if he slips at all I could see the Rams trading up.

15 Miami Dolphins – Jake Locker QB/RB Washington
The Dolphins biggest needs are QB and RB at this point. A guy like Locker, if used creatively, might help out in both areas. QB/RB-just a joke.

16 Jacksonville Jaguars – Da’Quan Bowers DE Clemson*
The medical thing is now definitely having an effect on Bower’s stock. Of course it’s possible he kills his scheduled workout and puts it all to bed but in this projection the red flag doesn’t go away completely. Imo, even if fully healthy, there’s some bad tape on him that might have created somewhat of a fall anyhow. Jags might also look to trade up if he begins to slide.

17 New England Patriots(f/OAK)- Ryan Kerrigan OLB/DE Purdue
After the recent signing of Stroud I think OLB gets the nod over DE, even with Jordan sitting there. Of course the Pats won’t keep all their picks but the first two I’d bet on and the OLB in the second.

18 San Diego Chargers – Cameron Jordan DE California
Chargers have shown interest in Heyward so this would be a quick decision.

19 New York Giants – Anthony Costanzo OT Boston College
Giants could have their pick between OTs Carimi, Solder, Costanzo or OLB Ayers. Really a toss up but Costanzo is the consensus top talent of the four sooo..

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Akeem Ayers LB UCLA*
Ayers showed great fluidity and cod in drills despite running a pedestrian 40. He fits into the scheme and brings the added value of being a good pass rusher/blitzer.

21 Kansas City Chiefs – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
This just seems like a perfect fit for the draft’s best RT prospect. Chiefs own the best running game and could use an upgrade at RT.

22 Indianapolis Colts – Corey Liuget DT Illinois*
Solder and Sherrod are far from rock solid prospects at LT so I think the Colts might look at the rising prospect from Illinois, who fits ideally in their scheme. In the second, Brewer is rising and is a solid fit.

23 Philadelphia Eagles – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
Reid should be looking for a long term replacement on the right side in the first round. Sherrod is probably a safer prospect than Solder at RT.

24 New Orleans Saints – Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple*
Wilkerson is rising and if not for this draft’s depth at DE and DT might not be available here in other drafts. The recent Rogers signing shows the need to improve the interior of the D but definitely doesn’t solve it, as Big Baby is really a part time player now. Signing Thomas might cool them on a first round RB.

25 Seattle Seahawks – Mike Pouncey OG/C Florida
Pouncey is considered the best interior line prospect and the Hawks were undefeated last season when Lynch got over 20 carries or something like that so improving the running game and the interior of the line is probably the top priority this off season.

26 Baltimore Ravens – Nate Solder OT Colorado
It’s looking as though OT is the Ravens top priority now. Solder is a gamble but landing a potential elite LT late in the first is just like the Ravens.

27 Atlanta Falcons – Christian Ballard DE Iowa
Ballard imo has demonstrated the traits and skill set to warrant a first round pick as a starting LE. Hankerson is a possibility but I don’t know if he fits as an explosive player or fills as great a need as a DE.

28 New England – Len Hankerson WR Miami
I get a sense from Hankerson that he’s driven to be a great player regardless of the perks that come along with playing in the NFL. Looks and plays bigger than his listed size and produced a great 40 time at Indy. Is reminding me more and more of Reggie Wayne and I think he’ll be a late first round pick in April.

29 Chicago Bears – Phil Taylor DT Colorado
Bears defense would be perfect for Taylor-where his primary responsibility would be to disrupt things on his way to the ball. I think the Bears will invest in an OT in FA, whenever that happens, rather than take a chance on a rookie.

30 New York Jets – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
With Taylor gone, Heyward’s a pretty good consolation prize.

31 Pittsburgh Steelers – Ben Ijalana OT/G Villanova
Kind of mystery now but I still see him getting coveted by a team like the Steelers in the first round.

32 Green Bay Packers – Jabaal Sheard OLB/DE Pittsburgh
Finally beginning to generate some buzz, Sheard could be a hot prospect come draft week.

SECOND ROUND

1. New England Patriots(f/CAR) – Dan Watkins OG Baylor

2. Buffalo Bills – Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson

3. Cincinnati Bengals – Mark Ingram RB Alabama*

4. Denver Broncos – Stephen Paea DT Oregon

5. Cleveland Browns – Greg Little WR North Carolina

6. Arizona Cardinals – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame*

7. Tennessee Titans – Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada

8. Dallas Cowboys – Aaron Williams FS Texas*

9. Washington Redskins - Christian Ponder QB Florida State

10. Houston Texans – Brandon Harris CB Miami*

11. Minnesota – Jimmy Smith CB/FS Colorado

12. Detroit Lions – Martez Wilson LB Illinois*

13. San Francisco 49ers – Titus Young WR Boise State

14. Denver Broncos (F/MIA) – Mason Foster LB Washington

15. St. Louis Rams – Rahim Moore FS UCLA

16. Oakland Raiders – Marcus Cannon OT TCU

17. Jacksonville Jaguars – Torrey Smith WR Maryland*

18. San Diego Chargers – Randall Cobb WR Kentucky*

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

20. New York Giants – Bruce Carter LB North Carolina

21. Indianapolis Colts – James Brewer OT Indiana

22. Philadelphia Eagles – Will Rackley OG Lehigh

23. Kansas City Chiefs – Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas

24. New Orleans Saints – Justin Houston DE Georgia*

25. Seattle Seahawks – Clint Boiling OG Georgia

26. Baltimore Ravens – Curtis Brown CB Texas

27. Atlanta Falcons – Ed Gates WR Abilene Christian

28. New England Patriots – Chris Carter OLB Fresno State

29. San Diego Chargers (F/NYJ) – Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

30. Chicago Bears – Stefan Wisniewski C/OG Penn State

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Ras I Dowling CB/FS Virginia

32. Green Bay Packers – Allen Bailey DE Miami

THIRD ROUND

1. Carolina Panthers – Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh*

2. Cincinnati Bengals – Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State

3. Denver Broncos – Jordan Todman RB UConn*

4. Buffalo Bills – Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

5. Arizona Cardinals – Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

6. Cleveland Browns – Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton

7. Dallas Cowboys – Curtis Marsh CB Utah State

8. New Orleans Saints (F/WAS) – Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois*

9. Houston Texans – Marcus Gilchrist CB/S Clemson

10. New England Patriots (F/MINN) – John Moffitt OG/C Wisconsin

11. Detroit Lions – James Carpenter G/T Alabama

12. San Francisco 49ers – Devon House CB New Mexico State

13. Tennessee Titans – Jurrell Cassey DT USC*

14. St. Louis Rams – DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma

15. Miami Dolphins – Shane Vereen RB California*

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina

17. Oakland Raiders – Dontay Moch OLB Nevada

18. San Diego – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona

19. New York Giants – Drake Nevis DT LSU

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ross Homan OLB Ohio State

21. Philadelphia Eagles – Johnny Patrick CB Louisville

22. Kansas City Chiefs - Greg Salas WR Hawaii

23. Indianapolis Colts – Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

24. New Orleans Saints – Colin McCarthy OLB Miami

25. San Diego Chargers (F/SEA) – K.J.Wright ILB Mississippi State

26. Baltimore Ravens – Steven Friday OLB Virginia Tech

27. Atlanta Falcons – Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin

28. New England Patriots – Daniel Thomas RB Kansas St*

29. Chicago Bears – Marvin Austin DT UNC

30. New York Jets - Pernell McPhee DE/OLB Mississippi State

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Derrick Locke RB Kentucky

32. Green Bay Packers – Austin Pettis WR Boise State

FOURTH ROUND

1. Carolina Panthers – Cedric Thornton DT Southern Arkansas

2. Seattle Seahawks (F/DEN) – Shareece Wright CB USC

3. Buffalo Bills – Bruce Miller OLB/DE UCF

4. Cincinnati Bengals – Deandre McDaniel S Clemson

5. Cleveland Browns – Jah Reid OT UCF

6. Arizona Cardinals – David Mims OT Virginia Union

7. Philadelphia Eagles (F/WAS) – Nate Irving LB NC State

8. Houston Texans – Ian Williams NT Notre Dame

9. Minnesota Vikings – Mark Legree S Appalachian St.

10. Detroit Lions – Greg Jones LB Michigan State

11. San Francisco 49ers – Sione Fua NT Stanford

12. Tennessee Titans – Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma State

13. Dallas Cowboys – Jerrell Powe NT Mississippi

14. Miami Dolphins – D.J.Williams TE Arkansas

15. St. Louis Rams – Tandon Doss WR Indiana*

16. Oakland Raiders – Robert Sands S Virginia*

17. Jacksonville Jaguars – Andy Dalton QB TCU

18. San Francisco 49ers (F/SD) – Tyler Sash S Iowa*

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jordan Cameron TE USC

20. New York Giants – Lawrence Wilson OLB UConn

21. Kansas City Chiefs – Ron Johnson WR USC

22. Indianapolis Colts – Jason Pinkston G/T Pittsburgh

23. Philadelphia Eagles – Jaiquawn Jarrett S Temple

24. Jacksonville Jaguars (F/NO) – Rock Carmichael CB Virginia Tech

25. Buffalo Bills (F/SEA) – Willie Smith OT East Carolina

26. Baltimore Ravens – Stephen Burton WR West Texas A&M

27. Atlanta Falcons – Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State

28. New England Patriots – Byron Maxwell FS/CB Clemson

29. New York Jets – Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

30. Chicago Bears – Quinton Carter S Oklahoma

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Virgil Green TE Nevada

32. Green Bay Packers – Orlando Franklin OG Miami

FIFTH ROUND

1. Carolina Panthers – Terrell McClain DT USF

2. Buffalo Bills – Lawrence Guy DE Arizona State*

3. Cincinnati Bengals – Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa

4. Kansas City Chiefs (F/DEN) – Dexter Larimore NT OSU

5. Arizona Cardinals – Richard Sherman CB Stanford

6. Cleveland Browns – Ryan Hill CB Miami

7. Houston Texans – Jerrel Jernigan WR Troy

8. Minnesota Vikings – Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech*

9. Kansas City Chiefs (F/DET) – Ray Dominguez OG Arkansas

10. San Francisco 49ers – Greg McElroy QB Alabama

11. Tennessee Titans – Chris Hairston OT Clemson

12. Dallas Cowboys – Sealver Siliga DE Utah

13. Washington Redskins – Jaquizz Rodgers RB Oregon State*

14. St. Louis Rams – Brandon Burton CB Utah*

15. Miami Dolphins – Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Chris Culliver FS South Carolina

17. Oakland Raiders – Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State

18. Philadelphia Eagles (F/SD) – Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia

19. Minnesota Vikings (F/NYG) - Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Joe Lefeged S Rutgers

21. Indianapolis Colts – Ahmad Black S Florida

22. Philadelphia Eagles – Jamie Harper RB Clemson*

23. Detroit Lions (F/KC) – Denarius Moore WR Tennessee

24. Washington Redskins (F/NO) – Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State

25. Seattle Seahawks – Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse

26. Seattle Seahawks (F/BAL) – Chris Matthews WR Kentucky

27. Atlanta Falcons – Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union

28. New England Patriots – Adrian Taylor DE Oklahoma

29. Chicago Bears – Vincent Brown WR San Diego State

30. New York Jets – Alex Henery K Nebraska

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Anthony Gray NT Southern Miss

32. Green Bay Packers – Scott Lutrus ILB UConn

fenikz
03-16-2011, 02:17 AM
hard to see AZ passing on either Williams, Harris or Smith in the 2nd, rest is solid though

prock
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Ryan Mallet ought not be a first round QB, and I don't know who the player is you have us taking in the 4th, but the position is good.

With that being said, Jimmy Smith in the second is unbelievable and there is no possible way that would actually happen, it is too good to work out. Ryan Williams and Greg Romeus in round FIVE??? Both these guys were preseason top 20 picks, getting them in the 5th would be absolutely amazing value.

akvikefan89
03-16-2011, 02:44 AM
That's a high-talent, questionable character Vikings mock, but there's so much talent that I'd be happy with it.

jCut
03-16-2011, 02:49 AM
I don't think Todman is the type of back that we will go for. Leshoure would be perfect. Other than that, this is a very nice Denver draft.

Scotty D
03-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Amazing Lion mock, A++.

TNPatsFan
03-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Good mock for the Pats. I like Hankerson a lot but to be honest I will be very suprised if they draft a WR in round 1 or even round 2 or 3.

Pouncey is a good pick at 33, but I have to say that even though I don't expect them to take a RB early if Ingram was available at 33 I think BB would grab him there.

I would change the 33 pick to Ingram, then change the 60 pick to Wiz because I don't think they will take two OLB's, especially when one of them is undersized for what they want in an OLB.

Then you could change the Thomas pick to an OL or DL.

rawdawg
03-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Phil Taylor is in no way a perfect fit for the Bears defense. Not that I don't like him as a player, but he's nowhere near a Lovie type of defender. Also, going double DTs in the first 3 picks is a bit much. I like the Bears draft if they go Pouncey in the 1st.

DiG
03-16-2011, 08:18 AM
julio in the first is fine but i hate the ponder pick in the second. not necessarily because its ponder but because its a qb in the 2nd round. the success rate of 2nd round qbs has to be the worst in the nfl. if a qb is taken in the 1st its because that front office is sold on him as a future franchise signal caller. if a guy is passed on by 32 teams its usually because he is a project and the skins have too many needs with too few picks to take a project in the 2nd round. unless we trade down in the first and acquire more picks it just doesnt make sense. either give us a qb in the 1st or not until the 5th.

I just honestly cannot see the Skins going wr, qb, rb before addressing the oline or dline. Guys like Stefan Wisniewski, Justin Houstin, and Brandon Harris make much more sense in the 2nd. If you feel like you have to give us a qb this year than maybe Enderle in the late 5th or early 6th round. Anthony Gray would be nice in the 5th too instead of a RB.

Hines
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
IMO, but if Pouncey is there, the Steelers will take him.

AkiliSmith
03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Replace Hudson with Moffit and you have yourselves a damn good Bengals draft

49erNation85
03-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I love the 9ers draft all the way until 4th round I would rather us taking Stanzi in there unless I missed it.Then a NT or S IMO better value there or even Dalton there too.I like the S safety pick in the B part of it though.

thebow305
03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Kendall Hunter over Shane Vereen for the Phins, but other than that nice job!

Matthew Jones
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
If you're going to go with Kerrigan at #17, I'd change the Chris Carter pick, although to be honest I think New England would draft Cam Jordan ahead of Kerrigan. I'd also be super pissed if they went with Hankerson with Ingram and Heyward on the board. They might not even draft a WR at all until the late rounds. Pouncey is a good pick. Moffitt looks good. Reportedly there are some intelligence/character issues with Thomas and he has no ball security so I might look somewhere else there. I don't know enough about Maxwell to evaluate that pick but the Patriots seemingly love Ahmad Black and they'd probably take him if he was available. Adrian Taylor is decent. I'd hope for:

1. Ryan Kerrigan
1. Cameron Heyward
2. Mark Ingram
2. Stefen Wisniewski
3. John Moffitt
3. Jerrel Jernigan
4. Ahmad Black
5. Adrian Taylor

xpmar9x
03-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Bad Titans mock.

1st Round: We do not need a WR, I don't care if it's AJ Green. We already have Britt (who could be elite) and 2 serviceable vets: Gage & Washington and 2 young guys with potential Damian Williams (3rd rounder just last year) and Mariani. We have much bigger needs than WR. Replace 1st rounder with Bowers or Fairley.

2nd Round: Colin Kaepernick is an average pick. But, with Ponder still on the board I think we'd opt for him. Ponders chances of being a Year 1 starter are much much higher than Colins IMO. I'd still be happy with Colin though.

3rd round: Stephen Tulloch will probably leave via FA. We did not tender him, which is normally the sign that a player is leaving. Tulloch is a solid tackler, but coverage is horrid. Sturdivant would be a nice replacement for Tulloch and would be a great 3rd round selection.

4th round: Titans do not have a big DT on the roster (that plays). Starting DTs are 270 and 300. Not to mention both JJ and Brown are always hurt. Powe would provide the monster DT the Titans need to plug up the middle.

5th round: Not sure why the Titans would need a OT? We already have Roos and Stewart, to solid tackles. Not to mention two decent backups: Kropog and Otto. As for Guard, LeRoy Harris is a FA, and Amano stuggled at C. Our main backup G/C Velasco is also a FA. Guard is much more needed that OT.

I would like the mock to go:
#1: Bowers
#2: Colin Kaepernick/Ponder
#3: Quan Sturdivant
#4: Jerrell Powe
#5: Brandon Fusco

Diehard
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
The first three picks for Denver are solid, but Todman is very dubious.

There are still nice options at MLB, pass rusher (Moch, Reed), DT and TE on the board - which are probably all bigger holes that RB. Even if the team does go for a back at that point, I'd see Leshoure, Murray and Vereen being more likely options given Fox's tendencies on offense.

K Train
03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
id prefer brandon harris at 31, and kendrick ellis at 62, and maybe greg romeus in the 3rd.

do not like ijalana or dowling as the top 2 picks though

Dunta_23
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
A few guys seemed to slip a lot further than I would anticipate:

Justin Houston
Brooks Reed
Brandon Burton

T-RICH49
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
wow bad KC draft.OT is not a RD 1 need.Phil Taylor in RD 1 and JUston Houston who you inexplicably have us passing on in RD 2 would be a better start

Bengals78
03-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I want to have dirty filthy shameful "I need a shower or six" and never call back sex with that mock. <3

FlyingElvis
03-16-2011, 01:31 PM
17 New England Patriots(f/OAK)- Ryan Kerrigan OLB/DE Purdue
After the recent signing of Stroud I think OLB gets the nod over DE, even with Jordan sitting there. Of course the Pats won’t keep all their picks but the first two I’d bet on and the OLB in the second.

28 New England – Len Hankerson WR Miami
I get a sense from Hankerson that he’s driven to be a great player regardless of the perks that come along with playing in the NFL. Looks and plays bigger than his listed size and produced a great 40 time at Indy. Is reminding me more and more of Reggie Wayne and I think he’ll be a late first round pick in April.

1. New England Patriots(f/CAR) – Mike Pouncey OG Florida

10. New England Patriots (F/MINN) – John Moffitt OG/C Wisconsin

28. New England Patriots – Daniel Thomas RB Kansas St*

28. New England Patriots – Byron Maxwell FS/CB Clemson

28. New England Patriots – Adrian Taylor DE Oklahoma

This would be pretty solid, though I agree that 2 OLBs through 2 rounds is unlikely.

Good mock for the Pats. I like Hankerson a lot but to be honest I will be very suprised if they draft a WR in round 1 or even round 2 or 3.

Pouncey is a good pick at 33, but I have to say that even though I don't expect them to take a RB early if Ingram was available at 33 I think BB would grab him there.

I would change the 33 pick to Ingram, then change the 60 pick to Wiz because I don't think they will take two OLB's, especially when one of them is undersized for what they want in an OLB.

I agree with everything here and I think it demonstrates how tough mocking the Pats can be. Everything TN says makes sense, but this mock makes sense, too. (minus the 2 OLB issue - which isn't really out of the question, anyway - lol)

Wis or even Bailey (NE has worked him out) instead of Carter would be better.

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Ryan Mallet ought not be a first round QB, and I don't know who the player is you have us taking in the 4th, but the position is good.

With that being said, Jimmy Smith in the second is unbelievable and there is no possible way that would actually happen, it is too good to work out. Ryan Williams and Greg Romeus in round FIVE??? Both these guys were preseason top 20 picks, getting them in the 5th would be absolutely amazing value.

Has R.Williams done enough to convince he's the 2009 guy? If you go by his 2010 season he's hardly draftable, so you cut the difference and he's a 4-5 round guy imo. Plus there's good depth at that spot which also hurts his stock.

Romeus kind of in the same boat-he's yet to show that he can shake the injury bug.

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't think Todman is the type of back that we will go for. Leshoure would be perfect. Other than that, this is a very nice Denver draft.

I figured Moreno-White are basically power types, where as Todman might be more of a change of pace guy.

Abaddon
03-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Wouldn't hate it.

17. Oakland Raiders – Dontay Moch OLB Nevada

Meh.

16. Oakland Raiders – Robert Sands S Virginia*

They already have 4 safeties under contract for next year. Can't imagine them prioritizing the position in the draft. If Virgil Green is there, I think they'd go that route.

17. Oakland Raiders – Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State

Gotta take a CB somewhere, I suppose.

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

That's great about Hankerson-I'd love to see him as a Brown-plus we've got his college OC on our staff now. Hmm.. point taken about Carter being undersized and BB not passing on Ingram. Pouncey by all reports might be a first round lock anyhow. But it wouldn't shock me to see Cinn trade up for Ingram either.

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Phil Taylor is in no way a perfect fit for the Bears defense. Not that I don't like him as a player, but he's nowhere near a Lovie type of defender. Also, going double DTs in the first 3 picks is a bit much. I like the Bears draft if they go Pouncey in the 1st.

Explain?

As far as two DTs-Taylor is a nose type and Austin a 3tech-perfect no?

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I just honestly cannot see the Skins going wr, qb, rb before addressing the oline or dline. Guys like Stefan Wisniewski, Justin Houstin, and Brandon Harris make much more sense in the 2nd. If you feel like you have to give us a qb this year than maybe Enderle in the late 5th or early 6th round. Anthony Gray would be nice in the 5th too instead of a RB.

I actually considered that point about the success rate of 2nd round QBs but in this draft, with the depth of talent at DE and DT, guys that might have been first round will fall. I think one of those two 2nd roundish QBs, CK or Ponder, will come out as a quality guy. I thought Quizz in the 5th to Shanahan was a slam dunk?? o well.

EDIT-actually considering swapping out Ponder for Locker. Something tells me Daboll in Mia would have a nicer time making Ponder a starter than Jake. And then Locker might be more of a fit in Shanys offense...

Seasonticketholder
03-16-2011, 04:36 PM
This draft was almost perfect for the Saints. Here's the changes I would recommend:

If we are going to take a RB, I would prefer Ingram in the first round. I do not see us taking Wilkerson over Ingram, that is, if the Saints maintain their strategy of taking the best player available. In that case, it would be Mark Ingram.

In the second round, I am very cool with Justin Houston as I think he would be tremendous value in that spot.

In the third, because we have taken Ingram, I would not want Leshoure. Instead, Brooks Reed would be a solid choice as a guy who can play SLB for us. Gregg Williams like for our SLB to be able to have some ability to rush the pass and drop into coverage. Reed can do both, much the way Scott Fujita used to do.

Finally, if we take Reed, there's no need for Colin McCarthy. With Kenrick Ellis off the board, I would take Marvin Austin in that spot.

So, recap:

1. Mark Ingram, RB
2. Justin Houston, DE
3a. Brooks Reed, SLB
3b. Marvin Austin, DT

That draft would be unbelievably great for the Saints! Four guys with first round talent, value.

Brown Leader
03-16-2011, 04:46 PM
A few guys seemed to slip a lot further than I would anticipate:

Justin Houston
Brooks Reed
Brandon Burton

I've been reading some mixed reviews about a bunch of guys. These three-Houston is inconsistent with effort and disappears for stretches. Reed has the Matthews flair but more than a few draft analysts have him as a 5-6 round guy. Burton has issues in off coverage, didn't run as fast as expected and is not physical.

wicket
03-17-2011, 02:54 AM
This draft was almost perfect for the Saints. Here's the changes I would recommend:

If we are going to take a RB, I would prefer Ingram in the first round. I do not see us taking Wilkerson over Ingram, that is, if the Saints maintain their strategy of taking the best player available. In that case, it would be Mark Ingram.

In the second round, I am very cool with Justin Houston as I think he would be tremendous value in that spot.

In the third, because we have taken Ingram, I would not want Leshoure. Instead, Brooks Reed would be a solid choice as a guy who can play SLB for us. Gregg Williams like for our SLB to be able to have some ability to rush the pass and drop into coverage. Reed can do both, much the way Scott Fujita used to do.

Finally, if we take Reed, there's no need for Colin McCarthy. With Kenrick Ellis off the board, I would take Marvin Austin in that spot.

So, recap:

1. Mark Ingram, RB
2. Justin Houston, DE
3a. Brooks Reed, SLB
3b. Marvin Austin, DT

That draft would be unbelievably great for the Saints! Four guys with first round talent, value.

Hell no on ingram, or leshoure for that matter, pich heyward first and then do what st said here

DiG
03-17-2011, 07:44 AM
EDIT-actually considering swapping out Ponder for Locker. Something tells me Daboll in Mia would have a nicer time making Ponder a starter than Jake. And then Locker might be more of a fit in Shanys offense...

if the skins want locker they will take him in the first. period.

Crazy_Chris
03-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Pretty good job with the Vikes...

So far everything seems to point to Jake Locker more likely than Mallet for the Vikes. Not to suggest they wouldn't take potentially take Mallet, but if Locker is available I see them going with him instead.

But what you missed out on the most for the Vikes is O-line, which is their second biggest need(Specifically need a Center). Switching Ryan Williams(Don't really need to draft a #3 RB) for Brandon Fusco would be better.

Brown Leader
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Bad Titans mock.

1st Round: We do not need a WR, I don't care if it's AJ Green. We already have Britt (who could be elite) and 2 serviceable vets: Gage & Washington and 2 young guys with potential Damian Williams (3rd rounder just last year) and Mariani. We have much bigger needs than WR. Replace 1st rounder with Bowers or Fairley.

2nd Round: Colin Kaepernick is an average pick. But, with Ponder still on the board I think we'd opt for him. Ponders chances of being a Year 1 starter are much much higher than Colins IMO. I'd still be happy with Colin though.

3rd round: Stephen Tulloch will probably leave via FA. We did not tender him, which is normally the sign that a player is leaving. Tulloch is a solid tackler, but coverage is horrid. Sturdivant would be a nice replacement for Tulloch and would be a great 3rd round selection.

4th round: Titans do not have a big DT on the roster (that plays). Starting DTs are 270 and 300. Not to mention both JJ and Brown are always hurt. Powe would provide the monster DT the Titans need to plug up the middle.

5th round: Not sure why the Titans would need a OT? We already have Roos and Stewart, to solid tackles. Not to mention two decent backups: Kropog and Otto. As for Guard, LeRoy Harris is a FA, and Amano stuggled at C. Our main backup G/C Velasco is also a FA. Guard is much more needed that OT.

I would like the mock to go:
#1: Bowers
#2: Colin Kaepernick/Ponder
#3: Quan Sturdivant
#4: Jerrell Powe
#5: Brandon Fusco

Quick reply-I think consensus is Green rated higher than Fairley, Quinn or Bowers, or at least looked at as a safer prospect. In the third, I cseen reports that have Cassey as a 2nd round pick and I figured better value than Sturdivant, who's has looked pretty awful in drills, although I still like him. 4th-With the DE situation, Chinasa is a sleeper. Cassey is not a nose but I do I remember Mayock saying he should be a 2nd round pick-in other words he's no slouch against the run. 5th-Yea maby someone like Hurd might make more sense although there's no saying Hairston couldn't play inside.

EDIT-
25 Seattle Seahawks – Mike Pouncey OG/C Florida
1. New England Patriots(f/CAR) – Dan Watkins OG Baylor

StrikeAnywhere
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Peterson and Paea are a great start to rebuilding the D. I'd much rather we took Moore at 46 though over Mason Foster. And I agree with jCut, Todman isn't our kind of back. If we absolutely have to have an RB then Mikel Leshoure in the 3rd is about as early as I could stomach us drafting someone, I would so much rather have Kelvin Sheppard though. That would fill pretty much all of the immediate holes we have.

FordFairlane
03-17-2011, 04:34 PM
For the Steelers you drafted very well. I would say Derrick Locke in the third isn't a need. So unless they valued him in the second I would take an OT like Reid.

Poz51
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
3 Buffalo Bills – Cameron Newton QB Auburn*

2. Buffalo Bills – Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson
6. Arizona Cardinals – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame*
10. Houston Texans – Brandon Harris CB Miami*
11. Minnesota – Jimmy Smith CB/FS Colorado
12. Detroit Lions – Martez Wilson LB Illinois*
14. Denver Broncos (F/MIA) – Mason Foster LB Washington
17. Jacksonville Jaguars – Torrey Smith WR Maryland*
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
24. New Orleans Saints – Justin Houston DE Georgia*

4. Buffalo Bills – Luke Stocker TE Tennessee
5. Arizona Cardinals – Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
18. San Diego – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona

3. Buffalo Bills – Bruce Miller OLB/DE UCF
15. St. Louis Rams – Tandon Doss WR Indiana*

2. Buffalo Bills – Lawrence Guy DE Arizona State*

I like Newton in the first. It makes sense.
Jarvis Jenkins in the second over everyone else I listed does not make a lot of sense to me. 21 bench reps, makes me question his strength, and more importantly his muscular endurance. IMO that is way too high for him, with the talent still available on the board, especially with my concern that he does not shed blocks very well. Reminds me alot of Marcus Stroud...
Stocker is my second rated TE, and a good pick in the 3rd, I just happen to think Sheppard is more likely at that spot, he fits the Bill of what they have stated they want in a LB, especially inside with his weight and intelligence. I would think that Brooks Reed would be even harder to pass on than Sheppard at that point.
I like Bruce Miller alot, and think he is one of those genuine "football players" who despite not having the most spectacular measurables can just flat out play the game. So its a good pick, although I think his value at this point is closer the the end of the draft than the middle. Maybe Doss value wise, but Miller would not be upsetting, although he reminds me of Moats and Batten who we drafted last year.
Love Guy in the fifth, lots of upside and thats a good spot to take someone like that, I think he will be a much better pro then college player. Makes the Jenkins pick make less sense IMO (I think they will take 1 DE in the first 5 rounds, not two though), switching Jenkins to Rudolph, and Stocker to Sheppard would make this a very impressive Bills mock IMO.

Brothgar
03-18-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm unsure if the Lions would take two ILB in the draft but I can't argue with the Value though and I guess and we could always move Levy to OLB.

Grizzlegom
03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Not gonna lie, that might be the best Phins mock I've seen yet. Absolutely love Vereen and Fusco and could live with Locker/Williams even though i'm not overly in love with either.

J-Mike88
03-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I like the players for the Packers, but there are some character question marks in a lot of them, and our GM tends to do a good job of avoiding those types.

I think Sheard threw a guy threw a window in a bar fight right?
If true, that's something that will get him taken off Ted Thompson's board.

Two players from The U after that.... I don't know that the Packers have a single guy from The U.....

Grizzlegom
03-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Two players from The U after that.... I don't know that the Packers have a single guy from The U.....

Sam Shields!!

txparkes49x
03-19-2011, 09:43 AM
1) Quinn: A-. Good pick helps a need.

2) Young: D-. Helps a need that should be assessed later.

3) House: B-. Again, fills a needed hole good pick.

4a) Fua: A+. Love it, Harbaugh probably goes Stanford once or twice and he knows the Fangio system already as well.

4b) Sash: D-. Another later "need", imo R. Smith and Mays will be fine for the moment after we address pass rush and then we replace them later.

5) McElroy: A-. Im not sure how other niners fans rate him, but im a huge fan. His height is a bit of concern but he has high IQ and pro style experience with Saban's offense.

Overall: B. I wouldnt be disapointed, you filled all the needs we have. I would want them addressed in a different order but you got them all. plus great job on all 5 rounds.

drd23
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Not a bad Ravens mock.

Solder is great value at 26 especially if we have no plans of bring back Gaither. Burton looks to be a good pick in the 4th too and would add some much needed size and speed to our WR corps

It'd be better if you gave us Brooks Reed and Marvin Austin in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Our pass rush is a far bigger problem than our cornerbacks especially as it seems that our FA CBs (Wilson and Carr) want to come back. I dont think that Curtis Brown would add enough to the secondary to pass up a pass rushing threat like Reed and Friday is a late round pick IMO and would be a reach in the 3rd.

Brown Leader
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
I like Newton in the first. It makes sense.
Jarvis Jenkins in the second over everyone else I listed does not make a lot of sense to me. 21 bench reps, makes me question his strength, and more importantly his muscular endurance. IMO that is way too high for him, with the talent still available on the board, especially with my concern that he does not shed blocks very well. Reminds me alot of Marcus Stroud...
Stocker is my second rated TE, and a good pick in the 3rd, I just happen to think Sheppard is more likely at that spot, he fits the Bill of what they have stated they want in a LB, especially inside with his weight and intelligence. I would think that Brooks Reed would be even harder to pass on than Sheppard at that point.
I like Bruce Miller alot, and think he is one of those genuine "football players" who despite not having the most spectacular measurables can just flat out play the game. So its a good pick, although I think his value at this point is closer the the end of the draft than the middle. Maybe Doss value wise, but Miller would not be upsetting, although he reminds me of Moats and Batten who we drafted last year.
Love Guy in the fifth, lots of upside and thats a good spot to take someone like that, I think he will be a much better pro then college player. Makes the Jenkins pick make less sense IMO (I think they will take 1 DE in the first 5 rounds, not two though), switching Jenkins to Rudolph, and Stocker to Sheppard would make this a very impressive Bills mock IMO.

Thing is, none of those players listed in the 2nd are 34 defensive lineman. If the Bills don't go with a d-lineman in the first do you think they will pass on one in the second too?

In my very limited look at Jenkins (2 games) I was very impressed with his ability to play the run and thought he might even be able to play as a NT in a 34 scheme. Checked a few scouting reports on him and found at least one thinking the same-SN has him as a 2nd round pick and says, " his value is highest as a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.", and compared him to Jay Ratliff! PFW is fairly low on him and has him as a 3-4 round guy saying, " starter caliber traits as a 4-3 nose tackle." Scott has him 2-3 round and saying, " Real stout at the point of attack and stuffs the run ", projecting him to a possible 5 tech in a 34.

If there's a possibility he could project to 34 NT, I don't see him getting out of the 2nd. Even as a 5 tech I'm not sure he gets out of the 2nd.

Brown Leader
03-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Not a bad Ravens mock.

Solder is great value at 26 especially if we have no plans of bring back Gaither. Burton looks to be a good pick in the 4th too and would add some much needed size and speed to our WR corps

It'd be better if you gave us Brooks Reed and Marvin Austin in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Our pass rush is a far bigger problem than our cornerbacks especially as it seems that our FA CBs (Wilson and Carr) want to come back. I dont think that Curtis Brown would add enough to the secondary to pass up a pass rushing threat like Reed and Friday is a late round pick IMO and would be a reach in the 3rd.

Absolutely agree on Friday but the talent at 34 OLB is so sparse I couldn't see another fit there. On Reed it's kind of interesting. On DC he gets quite a bit of love but on other draft sources I've looked at the highest I've see him rated was as a 5th round pick.

Poz51
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Thing is, none of those players listed in the 2nd are 34 defensive lineman. If the Bills don't go with a d-lineman in the first do you think they will pass on one in the second too?

In my very limited look at Jenkins (2 games) I was very impressed with his ability to play the run and thought he might even be able to play as a NT in a 34 scheme. Checked a few scouting reports on him and found at least one thinking the same-SN has him as a 2nd round pick and says, " his value is highest as a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.", and compared him to Jay Ratliff! PFW is fairly low on him and has him as a 3-4 round guy saying, " starter caliber traits as a 4-3 nose tackle." Scott has him 2-3 round and saying, " Real stout at the point of attack and stuffs the run ", projecting him to a possible 5 tech in a 34.

If there's a possibility he could project to 34 NT, I don't see him getting out of the 2nd. Even as a 5 tech I'm not sure he gets out of the 2nd.

Honestly I think they will have a hard time passing on Dareus in the first round. I believe they will take one of two paths in the first round. 1 - BPA, where IMO Dareus is the man in your mock. 2 - Franchise QB, which IMO Newton fits as well. None of the guys listed in round two are defensive lineman because all the potential ones IMO are gone, and I could see them potentially passing on one in both the first and the second. That is why I liked Guy in the 5th round so much. People forget that they spent their 2nd and 3rd round picks last year on DL, and both progressed last year. Currently they have Williams/Troup at the zero, Edwards/Johnson at the three, and Carrington at the five, adding another 5 early works, but landing a guy, like Guy later IMO makes just as much sense. A value like Dareus is tough to pass up, and even someone who fell maybe as well, but I do not think Buffalo has to force the issue like many believe. I do think they will take one at some point in the first 4 or 5 rounds, but IMO its not a "must" in the top two rounds.
As for Jenkins himself, I have him as a 2-3 round guy as well, and have him going in the third round in my mock for the same reasons listed previously. He does not shed blocks real well, which reminds me of Marcus Stroud who just released, which IMO makes him a better fit in a 4-3, because for me that does not allow him to be a effective two gap player. I think he can be effective in the interior with someone next to him, but I dont project him effectively to the 3-4. Although I can not for the life of me understand why benching 225 a certain number of times translates to strength (it doesnt) as people percieve it to, it has more to do with endurance, I believe Jenkins is strong, but IMO his low sack numbers back my thought that his muscular endurance is not good. He maybe strong, which is why he is an effective run stopper on early downs, but IMO he will not be a three down NFL player, which is what I want with the second pick in the second round. Scouting reports vary on him for sure, although I think the average in the late 2nd overall. As for the Ratliff comparison, I think that is laughable personally, I dont see Ratliff in Jenkins at all, but that is just my opinion. Most agree with me that he has difficulties shedding blocks which makes me question his fit in a 3-4 at any spot, much less the zero in a 3-4. Personally I agree with PFW in regards to scheme, but I dont think he falls out of the third myself. I could see a team grabbing him in the second as a potential 5 tech, but I dont see Buffalo being that team myself, I would think someone at the back end of the second who missed out on one of the first round defensive lineman. Personally I do not see the 3-4 comparsion myself, maybe with lots of development, but IMO the early second round is early for him as a 3-4 transition guy, with as much as I believe he will need to work on. Playing next to Bowers may have helped him, similarly to McCargo and Lawson at NC St. next to Mario Williams...

Brown Leader
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Well put. But what's nagging is why the Pats would scoop up Stroud so quickly after apparently failing in the Bills 34. But since it's BB, he might have any sort of scheme/situation ready to employ Stroud in. Jenkins reminds me of a lighter Ahtyba Rubin. With better technique and added weight/strength I think he would be rock solid in a 34.
Playing next to Bowers may have helped him
It's funny but I was kinda thinking the opposite, that Bowers may have been helped by playing on a talented line.

Poz51
03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Well put. But what's nagging is why the Pats would scoop up Stroud so quickly after apparently failing in the Bills 34. But since it's BB, he might have any sort of scheme/situation ready to employ Stroud in. Jenkins reminds me of a lighter Ahtyba Rubin. With better technique and added weight/strength I think he would be rock solid in a 34.

It's funny but I was kinda thinking the opposite, that Bowers may have been helped by playing on a talented line.

BB is infamous IMO for taking players from division opponents and bleeding them for information. I think he also could be tipping his hand regarding his draft intentions, by stocking up on the dline (he also likes vets), he can grab the best available pass rusher or player potentially... I can not tell you how many of my friends called me laughing about that pick up, including a Pats fan who said "why did we sign that bum?", and he was seriously upset. Stroud had bright spots (mroe so last season than in 09) this past season, but for the majority of the season was useless, and could not get off blocks. Im sure BB has plans on the field and off for Stroud.
After I wrote that about Bowers I thought the same thing, but Bowers was the #1 prospect comming out of H.S. so its not like people were caught off guard. But I agree that it is a fair point, and he could have been helped by the surrounding talent.
I certainly respect your opinion regarding Jenkins, I just disagree with it, but I will however look closer at him as a result of this conversation.