PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lockley LB FAU

GaMeTiMe
03-17-2011, 02:55 AM
I don't think he went to the Combine or Senior Bowl but looked good at FAU's pro day and there were plenty teams in attendance to see. He's a brick 6'2 262 and can still move both upfield and laterally.

I might as well pull up the quote from his pro-day, since I haven't seen anything on FAU in here (understandably)

Florida Atlantic LB Michael Lockley measured 6-foot-2 1/4, 237 pounds at his Pro Day Thursday, March 3, reports Gil Brandt, of NFL.com. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds and 4.74 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.40 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.84 seconds. He measured a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-9 broad jump and completed 22 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

I read something about him maybe trying to play some safety, which I think is kind of ridiculous for someone who is already going to be considered raw at outside linebacker. There's usually talk of a guy or two each year being an OLB/SS tweener, and the only one that I think was ever that successful is Thomas Davis, and it was at linebacker.

What Lockley does have going for him though is that he should be considered pretty scheme-diverse. I can see him playing (or should I say backing up) any LB position in the 4-3 or 3-4. That's not to say he's a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB, but it's also not to say he'd never be listed as a backup there or ever took a few snaps for purposes other than rushing the QB.

If teams spent some time with him during his pro-day (and it's not like there was much else to watch other than Housler who Lockley could still be drafted ahead of), and he came across as a real try-hard guy his workout numbers could push him up from 6th-7th to 4th-5th.

Teams nab a guy every year in the third round that wasn't on anyone's radar, everyone's a bit confused and as the guys doing the broadcast talk more and more about the player it just keeps getting worse and worse; wasn't invited to the combine, extremely raw, maybe not much upside, etc. I'm not saying Lockley will be that guy in terms of both draft position and resulting negative reaction, but a team could and probably will be intrigued in that same way in him, enough to spend a mid-late 4th. I feel like after the 2nd round linebackers seem to fall awkwardly and "out-of-rank", probably because teams use their linebackers in such different ways from one another. It could be one tiny thing the team is looking for and if it shows up on tape they're high on that team's board.