PDA

View Full Version : HOFers - Excluding the Top 32

Caulibflower
03-18-2011, 04:21 AM
Anyone you can see playing at an elite level for a long time who for one reason or another isn't considered a first round pick. Of course, this is completely and gratuitously speculative. But we all know the Hall of Fame is populated by men who were not premium draft picks.

I'll start it off with Greg Little. I've expressed my support for Little before, but he's got absolutely everything you could want in a receiver physically. He's bigger than Terrell Owens and Anquan Boldin and runs similarly hard after the catch. He can play multiple positions. He seems like a kid who will be able to keep it together, last years transgressions notwithstanding. Of course, those same mistakes are what will likely keep him out of the first, if not the second as well. I honestly can't see teams letting his talent slip past the third. If he lands in a good situation, I can see Greg Little as a perennial Pro Bowl player with a reputation for being one of the hardest receivers in the league to bring down.

Brothgar
03-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Ryan Mallett is a player who could be HOF worthy. I've said time and time again that he looks alot like Drew Bledsoe. If Drew was never injured and replaced with tom brady we could be talking about him in the HOF. Taiwan Jones if he stays healthy could be a HOF caliber player as well. (I'm just thinking of huge upside players past day 1)

Caulibflower
03-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I've compared him to Drew Bledsoe as well. Although I'm not old enough to remember what scouts were saying about Bledsoe when he was coming out. I know he was drafted first overall. And you know, Bledsoe might be talked about as a HOFer if he'd led those Patriot teams to a couple Super Bowls. It's not like Tom Brady was the offensive juggernaut he is now back in the early '00s.

EDIT: Wow, I somehow didn't even realize you said the same thing I just did in your post. Apologies for the redundancy.

SenorGato
03-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Not sure about the whole HOF thing but I think Richard Sherman (CB) from Stanford could be a long time starter.

Halsey
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
There's going to be at least one QB not widely rated in the first round who has a great career. Someone like a Ponder or McElroy. I don't know who it'll be, but feel confident there's at least one of them in this Draft.

RJS113
03-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Mark Herzlich, Nate Irving, and Greg Romeus

descendency
03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Ryan Mallett is a player who could be HOF worthy. I've said time and time again that he looks alot like Drew Bledsoe. If Drew was never injured and replaced with tom brady we could be talking about him in the HOF.

Drew Bledsoe is such an average Hall of Fame QB. (quite seriously, if he isn't in the hall soon, it's a shame)

whatadai
03-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Christian Ponder.

Not elite to me, but he has plenty of the tools and smarts if he gets it all together and gets under the right system and coach. His "weak arm strength" is overblown and if that causes him to not go in the first round or late first, it could cause him to have a chip on his shoulder.

I've been telling my friend since last year that Ponder is the only QB that deserves to go in the first round. Been telling him since last year that the Niners should take him since it's his favorite team. I know I'm way in the minority here. I agree with Greg Little...if he gets his head on straight. His issue is kind of like Randy Moss but with bigger character concerns. Think of how good Moss could have been if he wasn't so lazy and such a big drama queen.

holt_bruce81
03-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Mikel Leshoure RB, Illinois.

Grizzlegom
03-19-2011, 07:08 AM
A lot of the guys being mentioned have a good shot at going in the first round...haha

I'll go with Jordan Cameron. I think he'll end up being the best receiving TE in this draft and catches/yards are what you need to get into the HoF and he has the skills to be the next basketball player turned TE to put up huge numbers.

Babylon
03-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I know you guys would be dissapointed if i didnt list Jake Locker. I dont think he'll get by the 16th pick but if he were to slip into the second round there are some pretty similar numbers both statistically and physically to Brett Favre. Brett never was more than a 55% passer at Southern Miss., was known for his strong arm and mobility but was questioned for the usual stuff like accuracy, pocket presence etc.

Locker has stated Favre was his favorite QB and wouldnt it be ironic if the Vikings brought back the old man for one more go around while drafting Locker to be the next in line there.

wicket
03-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Even though he might be a first rounder in the end (prolly not) Kyle Rudolph has the things that will get a TE drafted, great weapon in the passing game but still good enough of a blocker to not let that be a "But he was basically a receiver" kinda thing. Like with all the guys it will sort of depend on the situation they get into. Getting a few rings will help any HOF bid and outside of QBs you wont achieve that mainly on your own back

Babylon
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Even though he might be a first rounder in the end (prolly not) Kyle Rudolph has the things that will get a TE drafted, great weapon in the passing game but still good enough of a blocker to not let that be a "But he was basically a receiver" kinda thing. Like with all the guys it will sort of depend on the situation they get into. Getting a few rings will help any HOF bid and outside of QBs you wont achieve that mainly on your own back

If he's healthy he's the steal of the draft.

Caulibflower
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
A lot of the guys being mentioned have a good shot at going in the first round...haha

I'll go with Jordan Cameron. I think he'll end up being the best receiving TE in this draft and catches/yards are what you need to get into the HoF and he has the skills to be the next basketball player turned TE to put up huge numbers.

Good one. Tight end is one of those positions where it sometimes seems like you can just put a really athletic guy on the field and have success with him.

FUNBUNCHER
03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Potential HOFers?? Talk about shooting blindfolded.....!

Let's say Dontay Moch is drafted by the Bucs and becomes a mini-Lawrence Taylor in that Tampa 2 D as the heir apparent to Derrick Brooks.

I could see Orlando Franklin developing into a franchise LT.

There won't be any RBs not currently playing in the NFL who will sniff the HOF because of changes in offensive philosophy, (platoon backfields, less necessity for one back to carry the ball 300+ times a year).

Stanford DB Richard Sherman is my sleeper candidate to be a top 5 corner in the league one day.

thegreatone
03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Brooks Reed will be a stud in the NFL.

Not sure if he makes it out of the first round though.

Babylon
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Jordan Cameron and the term Hall of Fame shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence, this is the same guy that couldnt get on the field when Pete Carroll was there.

Caulibflower
03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Potential HOFers?? Talk about shooting blindfolded.....!

...Exactly.

Caulibflower
03-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Jordan Cameron and the term Hall of Fame shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence, this is the same guy that couldnt get on the field when Pete Carroll was there.

He was playing behind a couple of guys who were pretty damn good. Not too many guys are going to unseat a guy like Fred Davis or Anthony McCoy as underclassmen. He's had NFL-caliber tight ends in front of him on the depth chart his whole college career. That, and he'd been trying to play wideout until last year.

Babylon
03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
He was playing behind a couple of guys who were pretty damn good. Not too many guys are going to unseat a guy like Fred Davis or Anthony McCoy as underclassmen. He's had NFL-caliber tight ends in front of him on the depth chart his whole college career. That, and he'd been trying to play wideout until last year.

I'm not saying he cant be a good pro but the OT did say HOF.

Caulibflower
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm not saying he cant be a good pro but the OP did say HOF.

It's not a serious "HOF thread." It's a "shot in the dark" thread. And I basically said as much in the OP. Looking for guys who have really high potential but aren't going to go in the first.

stephenson86
03-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Leonard Hankerson, could see him putting some very good seasons together.

Shane P. Hallam
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Predicting a HOF player is all about upside.

A player like Boise Safety Jeron Johnson who plays recklessly, if he holds up medically, could have that type of upside.

Edmond Gates as a small schooler won't be in the Top 32, but he has #1 WR upside, I could guess there.

And you know I still love that Chykie Brown upside :)

Grizzlegom
03-20-2011, 03:59 PM

He was also a basketball player first and WR second. He was a COMPLETELY different player this year after focusing solely on football and moving to TE.

PhinsRock
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
John Moffitt......they next Alan Faneca.

SenorGato
03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
John Moffitt......they next Alan Faneca.

I'm gonna +1 this because Moffitt is the man. I call him the next Steve Hutchinson.