PDA

View Full Version : James Carpenter, OL, Alabama - 1st Round Pick?

JohnCandy
03-18-2011, 01:53 PM
When I watched the SEC this year I always though James Carpenter did not get the credit he deserved, like Carimi, stepping in for an All-American and a high draft pick in Andre Smith.

Then we went to the Senior Bowl and I was trying to get behind Costanzo, Carimi, Solder or Sherrod, but I kept watching this Carpenter guy hold up in 1 on 1s and play really well in the game.

We go to the combine and I am expecting to hear about all the top OTs, but Carpenter is still generating buzz.

Then I read the following

Potential NFL Team, Round
The last few years of the NFL draft, there have been runs on offensive tackles in the first round. If the trend continues, then Carpenter could find himself taken at the end of the 1st round. With all of the talented defensive linemen, I believe that the number of offensive linemen taken in the first round will be down from the last few years. If that's the case, James could land somewhere from the early to mid part of the second round.
The New Orleans Saints with the 24th pick in the 1st round would be a good fit for Carpenter. At the 29th pick, the Bears could look to give Jay Cutler a little more security and time for his plays to develop. In my mind, the value starts to build with the Buffalo Bills pick at 34th overall. Carpenter could open up the running game for CJ Spiller like he did for Ingram at Alabama and also protect whoever will be the starting quarterback in Buffalo next season.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2011-nfl-draft-prospect-james-carpenter-alabama-crimson-tide

NFR Draft Analysis-We believe Carpenter is one of the more underrated tackles at time of press. He shows the skills to play OT in the NFL for a long time and be a very productive and possible Pro Bowl player. Carpenter should come off the board in the early second round of the 2011 NFL draft. He could even sneak into the 1st with a great combine and pro day.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/17/2011-nfl-draft-profile-james-carpenter/

Is there a chance that Carpenter goes in the 1st round?

RaiderNation
03-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Not a chance. There are many more talented olinemen than him this year. He is a late 3rd at best IMO

Woody56
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
no, but i could see him going in the 2nd

stephenson86
03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
In the 6ish Alabama games I have seen he strikes me as a high floor low ceiling guy that could have a good long career, picked in the 2nd/3rd.

Don Vito
03-18-2011, 07:11 PM
He is someone who could get picked earlier than he's projected. I think he will be a solid lineman who is a pretty safe pick, he probably won't be an elite blocker but he could be a nice starter and he has versatility.

RWills
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
What he has going for him is that after Sherrod he is the next viable prospect that projects to LT, most others OT's are projected OG's (Jason Pinkston, Orlando Frankline, Marcus Cannon) or are strictly RT's (James Brewer, Jah Reid, Ben Ijalana, Marcus Gilbert)

J-Mike88
03-18-2011, 11:12 PM
He is someone who could get picked earlier than he's projected.
Good call DV.

JohnCandy
03-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Who is a better prospect between the following,

James Carpenter

Orlando Franklin

Marcus Gilbert

Dam8610
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Not a chance. There are many more talented olinemen than him this year. He is a late 3rd at best IMO

I hope he's around at the end of Round 3 for the Colts to grab.

What he has going for him is that after Sherrod he is the next viable prospect that projects to LT, most others OT's are projected OG's (Jason Pinkston, Orlando Frankline, Marcus Cannon) or are strictly RT's (James Brewer, Jah Reid, Ben Ijalana, Marcus Gilbert)

IMO Cannon, Reid, and Ijalana are legitimate LT prospects, at least from a talent perspective.

Who is a better prospect between the following,

James Carpenter

Orlando Franklin

Marcus Gilbert

I'd rank those:

1) James Carpenter
2) Marcus Gilbert
3) Orlando Franklin

As OTs anyway. Considering them as OL, Franklin is higher than Gilbert because I believe Franklin could be an excellent OG, while Gilbert will be good at best as a RT or OG.

descendency
03-19-2011, 05:17 PM
There is a belief that Gilbert is soft and doesn't care about football by lots of scouts.