PDA

View Full Version : Update on the New Mock

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
For those who have asked, I am working on a new mock as we speak. The first half of round one is finished and I am writing the analysis for picks picks seventeen through thirty-two.

The plan is to release Round 1 on Monday and Round 2 on Tuesday.

proshoota25
03-20-2011, 07:51 PM
awesome cant wait to see it and read the analysis

49erNation85
03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Awesome I'll be looking forward to it as well.The site brings me good news each mooring after hearing all the BS crap the NFL PA are being all bitchy and crap.

yourfavestoner
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
How about some god damn scouting reports? I don't think I've seen more than one or two per position done on this site in about three years now.

Honestly, who the hell cares about mock drafts? The only point of it is to try to match value and need and they end up being inaccurate anyways. Not only that, but you always say "this isn't a reflection of my rankings, but who I think teams will select."

Jesus, this site would be an internet ghost town if it wasn't for the forum traffic.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
How about some god damn scouting reports? I don't think I've seen more than one or two per position done on this site in about three years now.

Honestly, who the hell cares about mock drafts? The only point of it is to try to match value and need and they end up being inaccurate anyways. Not only that, but you always say "this isn't a reflection of my rankings, but who I think teams will select."

Jesus, this site would be an internet ghost town if it wasn't for the forum traffic.

After I finish the mock I'm going to update the rankings, then spend the next three to four weeks knocking out scouting reports. In all I plan to have 150+ scouting reports on the site.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hundreds upon hundreds of hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.

wonderbredd24
03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hundreds upon hundreds of hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.
Boom.

I respect your honesty... any chance you can invest in a cough button for Shane on the podcast?

GB12
03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.

I thought that the scouting reports were the best part of the main site when you were actually doing them. Without those the only reason I'm here is for the forums.

EDIT: And thanks for deleting my last comment. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it since it's true.

nepg
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah. I understand why you'd drop them, but that was one of the key attractions to the site aside from the community. Without the scouting reports, the site kind of turns into any other random amateur draft site/blog. But I'll still be here.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I thought that the scouting reports were the best part of the main site when you were actually doing them. Without those the only reason I'm here is for the forums.

I realize the hard-core draftniks are going to miss the scouting reports, but Iím really damned if I do and damned if I donít. Those reports take about an hour each to input and format into the site, and that doesnít include watching the 3+ games of each prospect to gather the information. My guess is it comes out to about a four hour time investment per scouting report. Multiply that by just 150 players, which most say isnít enough, and it equates to 75 eight-hour workdays. Divide that by a six day work week and Iím investing more than three months on scouting reports alone. Worse yet, they really donít get much traffic. In fact, even the most popular player pages only get about 100 hits per day. Out of the tens of thousands of people that come to the site. Oh, and did I mention that inputting scouting reports is by far, without question my least favorite part of the job? Itís absolutely tedious, boring work. So you can see why I am leaning towards discontinuing the scouting reports and investing that time elsewhere.

With all that said, I do still plan on creating pages for each prospect with their vital information, stats and also plan to come up with some other features for the pages.

nepg
03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe some quick and dirty A-F grades for various aspects of the prospects and a "player type" (possession WR, power RB, NT, etc.)?

Wrathman
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Lots of draft sites do blogs, mocks, articles and features. This site's strength and what makes it stand out from others is the scouting reports because very few others do them, or do them very poorly. I don't know why you would give up that edge though I see you don't like the effort/result ratio that you have for your scouting reports.

Nobody needs to do more than four mocks per year in my estimation. 1-2 prior to the combine and 2-3 after the combine is plenty. Doing them more often is based on knee-jerk reactions to recent news rather based on sound reasoning.

PossibleCabbage
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM

I think "no scouting reports" is preferable to "incomplete scouting reports"... particularly since the people who are most likely to get scouting reports written for them are the people that most everybody has seen play, ESPN has been talking about for the last month, and everybody else on the internet has written a scouting report on. Whereas the guys who I would most want to read a scouting report on (the FCS player I've never heard of that my team took in the sixth round) is the probably the least likely to get a scouting report written for him.

Having daily blog entries, more talk about buzz, more mocks, articles, etc. would be a good thing.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe some quick and dirty A-F grades for various aspects of the prospects and a "player type" (possession WR, power RB, NT, etc.)?

I'm open to suggestions and will definitely solicit them this summer when I am making plans for next year. Believe me, I hate to discontinue the scouting reports because I think they are a great feature for the site. However, it's just gotten to the point where they aren't worth the time it takes to produce them and everything else on the site suffers as a result.

Halsey
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM

I like this idea, but how about brief scouting reports for your top 50(or so)?

GB12
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Well that's disappointing, but I can understand you wanting to make money. The scouting reports were by far the best thing you did and were the best online. That's why I started coming to this site. I don't really care for the other stuff. I don't even read the interviews. What QB Jake Locker admires or the most embarrassing song on his iPod is useless information.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Well that's disappointing, but I can understand you wanting to make money. The scouting reports were by far the best thing you did and were the best online. That's why I started coming to this site. I don't really care for the other stuff. I don't even read the interviews. What QB Jake Locker admires or the most embarrassing song on his iPod is useless information.

Ha, I am with you on the interviews. :o) Those take up very little time though.

However, wouldn't you like to read more blog entries on different draft scenarios or features on prospects? In many ways those are like scouting reports. How about a team needs feature? How about a weekly Hot List? How about a Head 2 Head feature where I debate controversial topics with other draftniks. How about a weekly news / notes / rumors column? Those are just some of the things that I would be able to devote my time to in lieu of the scouting reports.

ElectricEye
03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Mock drafts are fun...but really don't have anything on scouting reports. Mocking the draft is basically a crapshoot and really doesn't serve much of a purpose outside of entertainment. Getting the hard scouting facts on guys our teams could potentially select is much more rewarding in my opinion. That has value after April even, whereas no one cares who team X was mocked after the actual selection comes in. I understand the decision and it likely is a whole lot of work, but it is pretty damned disappointing.

Halsey
03-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't find them useless, but I'm not big on interviews either. Especially on podcasts. Listening to people talk about the Draft is more interesting than prospect interviews.

GB12
03-20-2011, 08:50 PM

However, wouldn't you like to read more blog entries on different draft scenarios or features on prospects? In many ways those are like scouting reports. How about a team needs feature? How about a weekly Hot List? How about a Head 2 Head feature where I debate controversial topics with other draftniks. How about a weekly news / notes / rumors column? Those are just some of the things that I would be able to devote my time to in lieu of the scouting reports.

Not really. I probably wouldn't read any of that.

Halsey
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Someone who runs a site that features in depth scouting reports should charge a fee, because that's serious work. I've never paid for a site like that, but a site that features in depth scouting reports and game film would be worth paying for.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Not really. I probably wouldn't read any of that.

Ha, well I think you'd be in the minority. Something tells me I'd get 10,000+ hits per day on features like that as opposed to 10 per day on the scouting report for a mid-round prospect.

As I said, I am open to suggestions and will explore other alternatives this summer. Perhaps there is a way to keep doing scouting reports to some degree. However, the system currently in place just isn't feasible. So put on those brainstorming hats and help me think of some good ideas when I solicit them in a couple of months.

rawdawg
03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I personally like the scouting reports also. But I can understand why you don't want to do them or feel they aren't worth the time. I'm just wondering if you had someone who could either input them for you or someone you trust willing to do some of the legwork as far as watching game tapes, etc?

Shane P. Hallam
03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Boom.

I respect your honesty... any chance you can invest in a cough button for Shane on the podcast?

Love you too wonderbredd :)

yourfavestoner
03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
At the very least, you've got to do scouting reports for the top five at each position. I understand not wanting to break down film of every draft eligible prospect, but credibility is gained from actually going on the record and saying what a prospect does or doesn't do well instead of watered-down fluff content.

GB12
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Ha, well I think you'd be in the minority. Something tells me I'd get 10,000+ hits per day on features like that as opposed to 10 per day on the scouting report for a mid-round prospect.

As I said, I am open to suggestions and will explore other alternatives this summer. Perhaps there is a way to keep doing scouting reports to some degree. However, the system currently in place just isn't feasible. So put on those brainstorming hats and help me think of some good ideas when I solicit them in a couple of months.

I'm sure you'd get many more hits going that way. I, and probably most of the longterm members/hardcore draft fans, would be much more interested in the scouting reports though. Can't really blame you for going where the money is; I'd probably do the same.

Scott Wright
I personally like the scouting reports also. But I can understand why you don't want to do them or feel they aren't worth the time. I'm just wondering if you had someone who could either input them for you or someone you trust willing to do some of the legwork as far as watching game tapes, etc?

If there was somebody competent enough to produce the scouting reports and also with the HTML knowledge to enter them into a web page that would obviously be an ideal scenario.

Those are a couple of big "If's" though...

ElectricEye
At the very least, you've got to do scouting reports for the top five at each position. I understand not wanting to break down film of every draft eligible prospect, but credibility is gained from actually going on the record and saying what a prospect does or doesn't do well instead of watered-down fluff content.

Quoted for the truth. We as sports fans deal with enough watered down fluff content on seemingly every major platform. I think others have that market corned pretty well.

SolidGold
03-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Maybe some of the more knowledgeable and reputable posters could pool together and do scouting reports on maybe the top 10-15 guys at each position.

There are a few real good board members that throw together great posts breaking down their analysis on players...big board...positional breakdowns

Just a thought...

GB12
03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Quoted for the truth. We as sports fans deal with enough watered down fluff content on seemingly every major platform. I think others have that market corned pretty well.

Pretty much this. Take away the scouting reports for the other stuff you were talking about and it basically becomes another Yahoo! Sports, which I have no interest in reading.

CashmoneyDrew
03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I think you should probably do the in-depth scouting reports for the elite through 2-3 round graded types of guys and all the lower rated guys just keep it to maybe a minimal 3 positives/3 negatives type of thing.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sure you'd get many more hits going that way. I, and probably most of the longterm members/hardcore draft fans, would be much more interested in the scouting reports though. Can't really blame you for going where the money is; I'd probably do the same.

It honestly isn't about money. Sure this is my job and I rely on the site's revenue to support myself, but my main reason for considering discontinuing the scouting reports is site quality. I just think that, as a whole, the people who come to Draft Countdown would appreciate new content updated daily rather than scouting reports on mid and late round prospects. And the numbers bear that out because people simply don't go to the scouting report pages. If I had 1,000 people per day looking at each scouting report this would all be a moot point. However, that just isn't the case. I want to give the people what they want. The interviews are a perfect example. As a whole I personally don't think the prospect interviews offer much, but they are a very popular feature that people want to see.

Wrathman
03-20-2011, 09:10 PM
If there was somebody competent enough to produce the scouting reports and also with the HTML knowledge to enter them into a web page that would obviously be an ideal scenario.

Those are a couple of big "If's" though...

The HTML is consistent here as you use the same format for each scouting report. It's cut and paste for 95% of it I would think, so a template could be created to make this easy for someone with limited HTML knowledge.

Content is a different ball of wax. I'd look for someone who does a good job on content elsewhere but who isn't getting the visitors to his/her site that you do. There's nothing wrong with taking on a partner to keep this site different from the others on the net. ;-)

rawdawg
03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
The HTML is consistent here as you use the same format for each scouting report. It's cut and paste for 95% of it I would think, so a template could be created to make this easy for someone with limited HTML knowledge.

Content is a different ball of wax. I'd look for someone who does a good job on content elsewhere but who isn't getting the visitors to his/her site that you do. There's nothing wrong with taking on a partner to keep this site different from the others on the net. ;-)

Yeah, HTML wouldn't be a problem at all. I could do it myself if necessary. I guess I could do the scouting reports too, but I am admittedly a "lay-man" when it comes to scouting. :)

PossibleCabbage
03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Scott-

Would scouting reports be less of a chore if instead of how you do it now, you would just periodically write one as an off-the-cuff "here are my thoughts on [player]" as part of a regularly updated blog? As long as the blog has a good index and it's easy to find "now, where did Scott write about that guy?" by looking at the index this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Scott Wright
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
There will be plenty of time this summer to spit-ball ideas.

For now I am getting back to work on writing analysis for the new mock! :o)

Thanks for the input everyone!

Hines
03-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Personally, I like the scouting reports a lot. I like reading about other people's opinions on the prospects to see who was wrong, right, etc. When you release the scouting reports, I look at them a lot. The give me an idea on if I like the player or not. I'm sure there is a way to go about it as if you can hire(maybe not pay) some of the members to help you do the scouting reports. Outside of the forums, the scouting reports are the only thing I do read. I only skim through the blogs because they don't interest me to be honest. Yeah I like reading some of them if they interest me, but they're meh to me. I check the rankings daily and would love to see the scouting reports continued. If you and two or three other people could help out, I think it would be a success. JMO, though.

ElectricEye
03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
It honestly isn't about money. Sure this is my job and I rely on the site's revenue to support myself, but my main reason for considering discontinuing the scouting reports is site quality. I just think that, as a whole, the people who come to Draft Countdown would appreciate new content updated daily rather than scouting reports on mid and late round prospects. And the numbers bear that out because people simply don't go to the scouting report pages. If I had 1,000 people per day looking at each scouting report this would all be a moot point. However, that just isn't the case. I want to give the people what they want. The interviews are a perfect example. As a whole I personally don't think the prospect interviews offer much, but they are a very popular feature that people want to see.

Couple things here;

-Glad you are accepting open discussion rather than going on a power trip like some would. I think we all appreciate that.

-I think part of the reason interviews are so popular is because of how heavily featured they are. You fire up NFLDC and it's usually the first thing you see along with a big picture. I think that's partially a function of site design rather than of interest. They're also usually sticked on the Draft Forum, which obviously draws some interest from posters. Integrating them into the main page better in some way would likely lead to higher traffic as well as interest.

-Going on the previous point, scouting reports are kind of hidden without going on the forums...and they're still sort of hidden. Nowhere on the main page are scouting reports mentioned besides in the player spotlight and even then it's an easily missed small link. There's also some flaws in how you get to the reports in my opinion. You have to click through the player rankings and then go to the positionals. The top 32 do not have a link anywhere within the names and snippets. I'm sure there would be more than a few hits in there if they did have links.
The forum does a pretty good job of hiding content too. The Draft Countdown Spotlight is all the way down almost near the offtopic section. I'm actually amazed how little discussion that stuff generates as that's the meat and potatoes of the site. Think this well could have something to do with physical(well, you know what I mean) positioning.

-Scouting report process itself also build to failure a bit. You sort of start them late into the process. By that time, many of us have already pieced together an idea who who the player is(right or wrong haha). Doing them sooner would not only result in more clicks, but would restore faith in the process. I personally don't bother looking around much at them until the very end because I know most of them are just going to be empty pages anyway.

-Last point is...scouting reports are popular. Maybe I'm being imprecise about this(I know I am, even, but don't fault me for being sentimental if it's in a logical way) but if you look at the view count on the forum threads for the scouting reports in comparison to the interviews, the clicks for the scouting reports here FAR outnumber the clicks generated from the interviews. That must mean something right? I'm honestly convinced it's not an issue of interest, but more one of exposure. Knowing what someones most embarrassing iPod song is all well and good, but the majority of us come here to actually learn something about football...even the non-forum people. It's just a matter of shepherding them in the right direction.

nepg
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Scott-

Would scouting reports be less of a chore if instead of how you do it now, you would just periodically write one as an off-the-cuff "here are my thoughts on [player]" as part of a regularly updated blog? As long as the blog has a good index and it's easy to find "now, where did Scott write about that guy?" by looking at the index this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Tagging system for the blog would do this amazingly well. Getting rid of the scouting reports might provide a prime opportunity to redesign the site to optimize traffic.

Great points, EE. Pretty much agree with all of it.

yourfavestoner
03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Couple things here;

-Glad you are accepting open discussion rather than going on a power trip like some would. I think we all appreciate that.

-I think part of the reason interviews are so popular is because of how heavily featured they are. You fire up NFLDC and it's usually the first thing you see along with a big picture. I think that's partially a function of site design rather than of interest. They're also usually sticked on the Draft Forum, which obviously draws some interest from posters. Integrating them into the main page better in some way would likely lead to higher traffic as well as interest.

-Going on the previous point, scouting reports are kind of hidden without going on the forums...and they're still sort of hidden. Nowhere on the main page are scouting reports mentioned besides in the player spotlight and even then it's an easily missed small link. There's also some flaws in how you get to the reports in my opinion. You have to click through the player rankings and then go to the positionals. The top 32 do not have a link anywhere within the names and snippets. I'm sure there would be more than a few hits in there if they did have links.
The forum does a pretty good job of hiding content too. The Draft Countdown Spotlight is all the way down almost near the offtopic section. I'm actually amazed how little discussion that stuff generates as that's the meat and potatoes of the site. Think this well could have something to do with physical(well, you know what I mean) positioning.

-Scouting report process itself also build to failure a bit. You sort of start them late into the process. By that time, many of us have already pieced forward. Doing them sooner would not only result in more clicks just based together(right or wrong haha) an idea about who that player is going around a time standpoint, but would restore faith in the process. I personally don't bother looking around much at them until the very end because I know most of them are just going to be empty pages anyway.

-Last point is...scouting reports are popular. Maybe I'm being imprecise about this(I know I am, even, but don't fault me for being sentimental if it's in a logical way) but if you look at the view count on the forum threads for the scouting reports in comparison to the interviews, the clicks for the scouting reports here FAR outnumber the clicks generated from the interviews. That must mean something right? I'm honestly convinced it's not an issue of interest, but more one of exposure. Knowing what someones most embarrassing iPod song is all well and good, but the majority of us come here to actually learn something about football...even the non-forum people. It's just a matter of shepherding them in the right direction.

I agree with this 100%. A lot of it has to do with site layout and what is prominently featured. Of course Joe Schmoe 6th rounder who played at Sister Mary of the Poor isn't going to generate as many clicks as "Prospect X Interview" because the interview is blasted all over the front page and the scouting report is hidden and/or not done. You're telling me that scouting reports of Vince Young, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart didn't generate clicks? Are you trying to tell me that people wouldn't come on here and read about what Blaine Gabbert does and doesn't do well, especially if the breakdowns were featured?

I'm not going to pretend like I know the details of your personal life or anything, but if maintaining this website is your only job then there's really no excuse for not having scouting reports on your top 50. Excuses be damned. At this point, you might as well just covert to a strictly blog format and save yourself some money because that's what the site essentially is.

bored of education
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Chiefs picking Bulaga sir?

nepg
03-20-2011, 10:15 PM
just throwing this in here for later, but it would be trivial to create an input form that would remove the need to do any formatting. further, it could be created such that, at any time, you could enter a single line, or thought about a guy, rather than necessarily needing to enter all of the information at once. which might make it further useful, insofar as being able to line up comments while watching games, rather than needing to make notes to save for later.

beyond that, a simple hashtag system for your blog would make it fairly easy to index and search.

SWDC Wikia ***********er. Do it.

ElectricEye
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
SWDC Wikia ***********er. Do it.

So long as it's not structured like a Wiki and has SUPER elite user restrictions. We don't need guys like starheather or bce getting in there and "putting the proof in the pudding".

jnew76
03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
You have a very specific format to your scouting reports. You need to invest in a digital voice recorder that is compatible with your computer. While watching tape on a prospect... instead of taking notes, just record them, upload to your cpu when your done and email them to your internet scribe.

You could start the scouting reports much earlier in the year using this system. updates and changes would be very simple this way.

umphrey
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
29) Chicago: Gabe Carimi
30) NY Jets: Justin Houston
31) Pittsburgh: Mike Pouncey
32) Green Bay: Aaron Williams

If it turns out like that I'll be screaming for us to make a trade to get any of those 3 players that go before us. Seattle (25), New England (28) and NYJ (30) all should be open to offers. It would be great to steal (what I consider) a blue chip offensive lineman from Chicago like we did last year with SS Morgan Burnett in the 3rd round.

PossibleCabbage
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
29) Chicago: Gabe Carimi
30) NY Jets: Justin Houston
31) Pittsburgh: Mike Pouncey
32) Green Bay: Aaron Williams

If it turns out like that I'll be screaming for us to make a trade to get any of those 3 players that go before us. Seattle (25), New England (28) and NYJ (30) all should be open to offers. It would be great to steal (what I consider) a blue chip offensive lineman from Chicago like we did last year with SS Morgan Burnett in the 3rd round.

I honestly can't see any feasible situation where cornerback is the BPA for the Packers at 32, and that's the only circumstance in which they'd pick one (they'll pick anything that's not a QB (and probably TE) that's BPA at 32). Remember, Ted Thompson will not draft any cornerback who is south of 5110 (which eliminates Harris) and they're no longer a team that plays press-man exclusively, anybody they draft is going to have to play a lot of zone (which should eliminate Wilson). If you want to make a strong case for Jimmy Smith as BPA at 32, despite all of the character concerns, you can. But they won't reach for a CB at 32... since it's not that big a need, what with the #1 ranked pass defense last year and CBs on the roster who are 26, 24, 27, 23, 24, and 28 in addition to the august Charles Woodson.

That being said, if a bunch of players the Packers want start going off the board before they pick, it's probably more likely that they trade down, not up.

fenikz
03-20-2011, 11:13 PM
JUST SAY NO TO GABBERT!a

RaiderNation
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Im expecting Wisniewski or a CB for Oakland. If Wisniewski does fall to Oakland, Im 99% sure we will draft him(the need at center, hiring his Uncle as assistant, and fits the bill as a starter in the NFL IMO).

Seven7
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I've been coming to this site for years, never really read the forum until this year but now feel the need to because without the scouting reports I don't really see the need to come here.

And I agree COMPLETELY and was about to write the same thing myself about the front page coverage of the scouting reports. If you linked to the scouting reports as well as you do the interviews I never read I guarantee you would get more traffic.

Also, there isn't as much traffic for the scouting reports because they're never updated...so why bother looking when I know it will be an empty scouting report. The only update to new scouting reports are in the forum (and not everyone reads the forum), and it is very hard to actually get a good idea of new reports because those are ordered by who posted last in that topic, not which topic is actually the newest.

I can tell you, that for me personally, I will only visit this site maybe once a week if there are no scouting reports. Whereas now I visit a couple times a day.

Here's how I would order the site features I would most visit:

1. Scouting Reports
2. Blog Posts about various draft related topics
3. Weekly news / notes / rumors column (which is really just a blog)
4. Sleepers
5. Over/Under Rated
6. Mock Draft
7. Team Needs
8. Head 2 Head Feature
9. Weekly Hot List

Perhaps the site should be cleaned up and simplified? Focus around a blog...and than have a few simple sections for Scouting Reports, Mock Drafts, etc. Because, honeslty, some of the stuff is really hard to find and other things out dated which just leads to the site looking less professional. There is nothing worse than out dated material.

umphrey
03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I honestly can't see any feasible situation where cornerback is the BPA for the Packers at 32, and that's the only circumstance in which they'd pick one (they'll pick anything that's not a QB (and probably TE) that's BPA at 32). Remember, Ted Thompson will not draft any cornerback who is south of 5110 (which eliminates Harris) and they're no longer a team that plays press-man exclusively, anybody they draft is going to have to play a lot of zone (which should eliminate Wilson). If you want to make a strong case for Jimmy Smith as BPA at 32, despite all of the character concerns, you can. But they won't reach for a CB at 32... since it's not that big a need, what with the #1 ranked pass defense last year and CBs on the roster who are 26, 24, 27, 23, 24, and 28 in addition to the august Charles Woodson.

That being said, if a bunch of players the Packers want start going off the board before they pick, it's probably more likely that they trade down, not up.

See, we have so many players coming back from last year, we practically have a draft class coming in already. 16 players from IR. 6 of them are players I'd consider guaranteed a roster spot with about 4 on the bubble. If we pick 7 players the last 3 might get cut or cause someone good from the SB team to get cut. It makes sense for us to draft as few players as possible of high quality. Honestly, I'd trade our entire draft for an OT like Carimi, an OLB like Houston, maybe a guard in the middle rounds, and UDFAs.

asdf1223
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I wish Shane takes over the scouting reports part of the site. Its one of the main reasons why i come here. Mock drafts are fun but serve no purpose really. The scouting reports would get a lot more hits once the draft is done and fans look at the players their team has drafted.

djp
03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
One of my favorite features was the Future Watch. :(

TheDirtyWord
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Could you not provide scouting reports in podcast form?

Also, perhaps allow for other draftniks to post their own report on a player.

I guess scouting reports are a dime a dozen now. Over the last 5 years so many sites have popped up that provide their input/view on a player and to be fair, I think it's become quite homogenized. While Russ Lande gets alot of guff with his off the wall projections and views on players - it at least feels like his opinion.

Which may offer you an opportunity to essentially change the structure of the site where each player ranking link leads to their forum thread(s). One could be available to 'superuser' discussion - the other thread for the general public of which the superuser could have access.

It seems to me that your evolving from a content site to a community site, so you should follow that path to allow the community to provide some if not a decent portion of the content, but still provide opportunities for yourself, Shane and some select others to provide content in featured areas.

Just a thought.

Scott Wright
03-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Well, it definitely sounds like there is a big demand for scouting reports so I'll have to explore ways of keeping them for next year. The ideal solution would for someone, whether it be Shane or someone else, to take over that aspect of the site and make it their sole concentration.

The only reason I even brought up the idea of eliminating them is because I felt visitors would rather see me devote the finite time there is to producing other features like blogs, etc. However, everyone obviously wants scouting reports so we'll figure something out.

Either way, look for new scouting reports to start coming fast and feverishly next week.

D-Unit
03-24-2011, 02:16 AM
One of my favorite features was the Future Watch. :(
Yeah, I agree that was pretty cool.

Scott Wright
03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I agree that was pretty cool.

The "Future Watch" will be coming back.

I usually post that the Monday after the draft.

akvikefan89
03-24-2011, 04:34 AM
The rankings and scouting reports were the 2 main reasons I became a regular visitor to NFLDC. Many sites, especially media outlets, have prime interviews with prospects, including video content that can't be competed with. Many sites create mock drafts, and they're all just about as entertaining and interesting as the others. I know that this year, I've read 1 or 2 player interviews, but clicked on many scouting reports only to read "Coming Soon!".

The big thing that has set NFLDC apart from other sites over the years has been the detailed player rankings and scouting reports. Casual fans can read up on prospects leading up to (or after) draft day to familiarize themselves with a prospect. Hardcore fans will scour every ranking and report on the site to create their mock draft or pick out sleepers for their teams.

I appreciate all the content NFLDC has provided over the years, and I'd hate to see the site fizzle because "page hits" indicated that player interviews (which get prime advertising on the main page) had higher numbers then fairly difficult to find scouting reports.

cunningham06
03-24-2011, 10:54 AM
The rankings and scouting reports were the 2 main reasons I became a regular visitor to NFLDC. Many sites, especially media outlets, have prime interviews with prospects, including video content that can't be competed with. Many sites create mock drafts, and they're all just about as entertaining and interesting as the others. I know that this year, I've read 1 or 2 player interviews, but clicked on many scouting reports only to read "Coming Soon!".

The big thing that has set NFLDC apart from other sites over the years has been the detailed player rankings and scouting reports. Casual fans can read up on prospects leading up to (or after) draft day to familiarize themselves with a prospect. Hardcore fans will scour every ranking and report on the site to create their mock draft or pick out sleepers for their teams.

I appreciate all the content NFLDC has provided over the years, and I'd hate to see the site fizzle because "page hits" indicated that player interviews (which get prime advertising on the main page) had higher numbers then fairly difficult to find scouting reports.

Seconded. I'm also a fan of the new bulleting system for the scouting reports, it's more efficient and quicker to read through.

Sportsfan486
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
The only reason I even brought up the idea of eliminating them is because I felt visitors would rather see me devote the finite time there is to producing other features like blogs, etc. However, everyone obviously wants scouting reports so we'll figure something out.

As has been mentioned, and to be frankly and completely honest, the ONLY thing this site has had over other draft sites in superior scouting reports. Mocks are mocks are mocks; we can all guess at where someone is going but even the most "expert" and "in-the-know" people whiff on them with regularity.

Interviews are boring, which you've admitted. No prospect is dumb enough to say anything out of the ordinary in an interview.

I like the blogs when they're consistently coming but I can't believe they take up much time. They're wonderful material but usually seem more like something you noticed from watching games already then went out and researched; so I can't imagine cutting out scouting reports saves you time there.

Head-to-head, etc.. is all stuff we can get. Why would I need you to write a head to head article when I have 6 tabs open on my internet page right now? I can head to head your analysis to anyone I want.. so you taking time to writing a head-to-head against one or two other guys is just a waste of your time.

Finally, if the inputting is a hassle why wouldn't you just write your reports in basic, non-format and then forward them to someone else to put on the site? Ie.. just the notes you're taking during the game, even.

It seems silly for you to be actually doing the website HTML work. Anyone that's mildly decent with English and HTML should be able to take your notes, translate them into an intelligent format, and put them on the site for you.

I also think part of your problem with scouting reports not receiving as many hits is they're pretty hidden. When you have the scouting reports up you really need to advertise it in a big, bold way on the front page and on the mock page. I guarantee you if you added a "Click for scouting report" link for each prospect in your mocks the hits would at least triple per day for them, if not significantly moreso. They're just really hidden away right now and as has been mentioned, they're really what you do best.

BSims
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
I think many here have hit the nail on the head about the scouting reports vs interviews vs time vs blog etc etc - so I won't elaborate. I only want to add my name to a potentially long line that hopes if you do reallocate your time and effort the scouting reports are one of the last to go.

Scott Wright
03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
The issue has been resolved.

There will be scouting reports next year and beyond and I'm real excited about the plan!

FUNBUNCHER
03-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Like others have stated, I found this site and started coming back to read the scouting reports.

Your pros/cons about a prospect Scott are typically rock solid.

Addict
03-27-2011, 03:44 PM
honestly the main reason I've been coming here is the forum... I hardly ever even check the main site.

The_Dude
03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Being a dynasty fantasy football fanatic, the scouting reports are the very reason why i started frequenting the site. They are my favorite part of the main site. I am glad that you have resolved this issue & will keep them around.

akvikefan89
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
The issue has been resolved.

There will be scouting reports next year and beyond and I'm real excited about the plan!

Awesome!

(10 char)