PDA

View Full Version : 3/21 - Mock Draft Updated!

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 03:00 AM
I just made my sixth mock draft of the year, the first post-Scouting Combine, live!

2011 Mock Draft - v.6.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

This is also the 1st two rounder of the year. I will release Round 2 on Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

diabsoule
03-21-2011, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't be too upset with the Saints drafting Heyward as I think Gregg Williams would use his special brand of motivation to get the most out of him during games and practices. Heyward, Rogers, Ellis, and Smith is a very nice front 4.

fenikz
03-21-2011, 03:13 AM
<3 Patrick Peterson

nepg
03-21-2011, 03:18 AM
New England:
I'm a fan of Pouncey. I think the Patriots were going to draft Maurkice in 2010, and they definitely have a use for Mike. Draft position and "value" is irrelevant when talking about the Pats because they'll take the guy they want whenever they can get him.

Wilkerson...honestly haven't seen much of him. I'd be clamoring for Brooks Reed, personally. I'm pretty OK with the DL situation in NE provided the guys they have are healthy.

Kansas City:
I don't see OT or OLB being the pick. I doubt they'll give up on Richardson - the guy played really well and developed a ton. If they didn't like what they saw, O'Callaghan would have been in there at some point. Fact is, Pioli values chemistry over all else when it comes to the offensive line. Is Carimi a talent upgrade? Possibly (tough to tell, Richardson was a pretty highly regarded prospect at one point - higher than Carimi)...but not so much that Pioli would mess with the chemistry of the OL - which was very solid in 2010 and looking to get better from experience.

KC is a tough team to mock because of Pioli's tendencies and the team's needs. Receiving help is #1 - BY FAR. If Wiegmann retires, C is #2. I don't see him going OLB in this situation - they have Hali and there's no one super amazing in this draft that the Chiefs will have a shot at... I've said before that Kyle Rudolph is a real possibility for them, but the other real option is DL. Cameron Heyward could very well be the pick at #21 if the rest goes the way you have it.

TACKLE
03-21-2011, 03:20 AM
I just moved Pouncey to 17 today in my on-going microsoft excel mock. Stop hacking my computer sir. ;)

umm harris is okay. yes we could use a corner but we're not nearly as most think. Being a canes fan, I like harris a lot but he doesn't really offer anything that we don't have at the corner position. Word is they're looking for bigger CB's anyway. The ravens organization has expressed a lot of interest in improving the pass rush and has shown interest in the likes of Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan and Brooks Reed. OT has been mentioned but I personally don't see the value there. If Jimmy Smith was there they'd have to entertain that. But if I had to bet, I say they go with the highest rated front seven player on their board.

also, paea over phil taylor to a 3-4 team as a nt? huh? that pick just struck me as very odd. not only does it appear as if phil taylor's stock has surpassed paea's, but paea is a 3-tech who is really out of place as a 3-4 nt. i really can't see any team having paea ranked over taylor as a 3-4 nt prospect.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 03:30 AM
also, paea over phil taylor to a 3-4 team as a nt? huh? that pick just struck me as very odd. not only does it appear as if phil taylor's stock has surpassed paea's, but paea is a 3-tech who is really out of place as a 3-4 nt. i really can't see any team having paea ranked over taylor as a 3-4 nt prospect.

I'm not buying the Phil Taylor in Round 1 hype.

I think you could make the argument that he's a first round talent, but once teams finish up their investigations the off-the-field issues will eventually push him in the second round.

TACKLE
03-21-2011, 03:35 AM

I think you could make the argument that he's a first round talent, but once teams finish up their investigations the off-the-field issues will eventually push him in the second round.

personally, i am buying the phil taylor 1st round hype (think he may have a hard time getting past KC with pioli's draft history and the fact they don't have a nt under contract) but i can certainly understand if you see him going lower than currently projected. i still don't understand why a team would draft paea as a 3-4 nt especially in rex's scheme where the he'd be asked to two-gap.

DallCowby1
03-21-2011, 04:21 AM
J.J. Watt again? Not in favor of drafting a 3-4 DE with a top selection. You draft these guys on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.

Tyron Smith, OT is where I would go with pick #9 and start him from day one. Iupati was high on the Cowboys board last year (they targeted the OL in the 1st rd. just saying). Jerry drafts the tackle from USC. Who is coming to BIG D for a visit!

Brothgar
03-21-2011, 04:42 AM
J.J. Watt again? Not in favor of drafting a 3-4 DE with a top selection. You draft these guys on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.

Tyron Smith, OT is where I would go with pick #9 and start him from day one. Iupati was high on the Cowboys board last year (they targeted the OL in the 1st rd. just saying). Jerry drafts the tackle from USC. Who is coming to BIG D for a visit!

Jerry hasn't drafted an OL in the first round in 20 years. Also they resigned Doug Free. I doubt a RT will be taken at the 9th overall.

SloppyJoe
03-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Houston over Clayborn.
We are running something like a hybryd 4-3,3-4, 3-3-5 Defense. An OLB/DE tweener is imo exactly what we need. So my pick would be Houston.

General Zod
03-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Love the Vikes pick :-)

TonyGfortheTD
03-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I can understand selecting an OT for the Chiefs in the first round I guess, but drafting Carimi and telling him to go block in space doesn't sound like the greatest idea.

Position is okay, actual selection is not.

rawdawg
03-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Corey Liuget is the right pick for the Bears. If the top 4 OTs are off the board (I don't see the Bears taking Solder either though) and Pouncey is gone, gotta go Liuget or trade down. Sherrod just screams "Chris Williams" without the back issue.

Also, I have seen this several places and every mock that has Liuget to the Bears calls him a "local product". First, Champaign Illinois is about a 3-hour drive from Chicago. If that's the case any Wisconsin Badgers would be considered local products for the Bears also. Second, Liuget is from Miami. Sorry, just a small nitpick! :)

DallCowby1
03-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Jerry hasn't drafted an OL in the first round in 20 years. Also they resigned Doug Free. I doubt a RT will be taken at the 9th overall.

We'll see......

Cowboys had Iupati and Pouncey high on there board last year. Our running game has been non-exsistant because our OL needs a infusion of good young players.

regoob2
03-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Corey Liuget is the right pick for the Bears. If the top 4 OTs are off the board (I don't see the Bears taking Solder either though) and Pouncey is gone, gotta go Liuget or trade down. Sherrod just screams "Chris Williams" without the back issue.

Also, I have seen this several places and every mock that has Liuget to the Bears calls him a "local product". First, Champaign Illinois is about a 3-hour drive from Chicago. If that's the case any Wisconsin Badgers would be considered local products for the Bears also. Second, Liuget is from Miami. Sorry, just a small nitpick! :)
I like Liuget but I've never loved him. I would prefer Ijalana there.

Poz51
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I will release Round 2 on Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

In the words of the immortal Bart Scott "Can't Wait!"

As for Von Miller, I am warming up to him, but still think they have significant investments at OLB to draft one that high, and from what they have said OLB will not be the pick. I still think they go franchise QB or BPA, which I would think are Newton and Peterson respectively, so my question for you Mr. Wright is this; Is Von Miller the BPA at pick three in your mock?

bitonti
-the Panthers are taking Newton let's just admit it and move on

-if the Bengals take a QB without calling Carson Palmer's bluff, it sends a message that anyone can talk their way out of Cinci. They will not take a QB in rd1 and make carson retire. If they rebuild at QB they will do it in 2012 not in 2011. AJ Green seems more likely in that slot.

-Justin Houston is going to go very high indeed. His workouts were great and he's relatively clean compared to these other DE prospects (no medical red flags etc).

-the Vikings might reach for a QB. don't be shocked Scott. the QB after Gabbert i think you have under valued, i can see a scenario where Locker, Mallett and Ponder all go in round 1. It's very feasible. It's not like these are surprise prospects, scouts have been looking at these guys for 3 or 4 years already.

- Shane and I discussed the Lions on our podcast. they should take an OT but they won't, cause they are the Lions.

-Adrian Clayborn's draft stock is shot. Ballard will go before Clayborn. Clayborn might not go til round 3. this Erb's Palsy stuff is real .

-Robert Quinn is not going to go as high as people think. the man has a brain tumor in his head. Ask any doctor, it should have been removed. the only reason they kept it in there was so he can play football. It's a crazy risk situation.

-the Jets won't take Paea or Taylor. Paea doesn't fit their system and Taylor isn't a round 1 player as you noted. If the board fell like that it would be Ballard or Reed.

DiG
Still feels wierd seeing the Bengals take Newton but I understand the logic and ultimately it does make sense.

Love AJ Green to the Skins. That would be the perfect scenario much like Orakpo falling to us 2 years ago.

Everything else looks pretty good. No glaring holes or schocking picks that just dont make any sense. I think Ayers might play a bit too soft for that Packers defense. Reed just seems more like the type of player that the prefer to draft at linebacker.

BigJohn98
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Ugh, I hate Ryan Kerrigan. Especially with Cam Jordan available.

Someone please explain to me what's so good about Kerrigan. I just don't see it really.

Giantsfan1080
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Just to let you know but you have Rich Seubert listes as one of our tackles in your blurb about Castonzo. It's actually David Diehl.

bitonti
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Just to let you know but you have Rich Seubert listes as one of our tackles in your blurb about Castonzo. It's actually David Diehl.

the Giants are another team that _should_ take a tackle but won't. I think they believe in William Beatty. another DE as always... perhaps OLB.

Halsey
03-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Ugh, I hate Ryan Kerrigan. Especially with Cam Jordan available.

Someone please explain to me what's so good about Kerrigan. I just don't see it really.

He had more sacks that last 2 years than Jordan had in 4 years of college.

I'm sure that won't change your mind, but I doubt there's anything that anyone could say that would.

RWills
03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
the Panthers are taking Newton let's just admit it and move on

Hard for me to think that with Richardson as the owner, Im going Dareus.

if the Bengals take a QB without calling Carson Palmer's bluff, it sends a message that anyone can talk their way out of Cinci. They will not take a QB in rd1 and make carson retire. If they rebuild at QB they will do it in 2012 not in 2011. AJ Green seems more likely in that slot.

Agree but I can see the second or third round pick on one.

-the Vikings might reach for a QB. don't be shocked Scott. the QB after Gabbert i think you have under valued, i can see a scenario where Locker, Mallett and Ponder all go in round 1. It's very feasible. It's not like these are surprise prospects, scouts have been looking at these guys for 3 or 4 years already.

I agree I think oyu will see some scared teams on missing out on QB's if Locker does indeed go to Minny then that can be the start of all the QB's going. ie Mallett, Ponder, Kaepernick ( I have Ponder to the Jax bandwagon, just seems like a Gene Smith thing to do.

Shane and I discussed the Lions on our podcast. they should take an OT but they won't, cause they are the Lions.

I can really see Castanzo here, even if T.Smith is still available, seems like a Schwartz kind of player

Adrian Clayborn's draft stock is shot. Ballard will go before Clayborn. Clayborn might not go til round 3. this Erb's Palsy stuff is real .

Agreed but I think someone in the second will grab him.

Robert Quinn is not going to go as high as people think. the man has a brain tumor in his head. Ask any doctor, it should have been removed. the only reason they kept it in there was so he can play football. It's a crazy risk situation.

Agreed, but how far can you really drop this guy knowing he has played through it. Past 20? I couldn't see it but it wouldn't shock me

Halsey
03-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Teams that need a QB this year don't have a lot of motivation to wait until next year. Other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any college QBs who are sure fire elite prospects. For a team like the Bengals, they likely can either take a QB with lots of questions this year, or just wait to take one with lots of questions next year. What's the point in waiting, unless they think they're guaranteed Andrew Luck.

rawdawg
03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I like Liuget but I've never loved him. I would prefer Ijalana there.

Ijalana's a pretty big reach right there though. I know the rankings aren't updated, but Scott has Ijalana at #40 (which is actually higher than most have him). I would hope the Bears would trade down and get an extra pick if the top 5 OL are all gone. But Liuget would be BPA at 29 if the Bears stay.

CJSchneider
03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I'll have no problem if we select "Son of Iron-head", but I do hope NO takes Paea with our first round pick.

Hines
03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I like Aaron Williams, but I'm not sure if I like him over Derek Sherrod.

regoob2
03-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Ijalana's a pretty big reach right there though. I know the rankings aren't updated, but Scott has Ijalana at #40 (which is actually higher than most have him). I would hope the Bears would trade down and get an extra pick if the top 5 OL are all gone. But Liuget would be BPA at 29 if the Bears stay.
I have Paea rated higher so Liuget wouldn't even be bpa at the DT position for me. I think Ijalana is a better player at a far bigger need position. With FA coming after the draft how can we afford to not go OL.

scottyboy
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
i'm fine with the Giants pick. we need an OT and at our pick, we'll probably have our choice of quite a few guys. There it will be all who our scouts like. I'm a fan of Carimi, but I'd be fine with Anthony C.

yaga
03-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure about Aldon Smith for the Texans. Even though OLB is a position of need, Kubiak and GM Rick Smith do not have the luxury of waiting for another young raw prospect to develop. Both Kubiak and Smith are on the hot seat and need to draft the most talented defensive player available who can come in and contribute early. If Robert Quinn doesn't check out medically, I see them taking Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt at 11. Even though I didn't see them taking a 3-4 DE that early since its not a need but consider this, Mario Williams is in a contract year and has played hurt the last 2 years and will probably command a huge contract, and Antonio Smith received a large free agent contract 3 years ago and really hasn't produced as much as they would have liked.

If Jordan or Watt are taken in round 1, look for the best CB or OLB available in round 2.

vidae
03-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Not in love with the Chiefs pick. RT could probably be upgraded, but I still don't see it as a first round need. Richardson wasn't THAT bad, and he's young and still developing.

NT, WR, OLB, C are all much bigger IMMEDIATE needs.

essential
03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
sorry Scott, totally disagree with Miller to the Bills. the Bills do not seem to do the "smoke screen" game. last year they were honest about what they needed, they talked about wanting a "water-bug" type player a lot, and we took Spiller in the 1st although it was not a need, they also talked about needing to get players for the 3-4 and we went with 3-4 D-Line in the 2nd and 3rd.

now, this year Gailey and Nix have spoke a lot of Newton. here are some other quotes.

on the Bills main site, in a senior bowl video interview, Nix said:
"we're all set at Outside LBer, but we need some Inside LBers...bigger guys...."

Nix on Newton's accuracy/mechanics:
"I think they’re good, but I don’t put a lot of stock in that, but a lot of people do," Nix said. "I saw Doug Flutie throw it underhanded so I don’t know why it matters. What matters is getting it out on time and hitting what you aim at."

Gailey quotes:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article307554.ece
"What has got to happen is you've got to understand that I think Fitz is a really good quarterback, and I think he can take our team to the playoffs. But if you've got a chance to get a guy that you think for 10 years, 12 years, is going to be the guy, Fitz is moving on up in years, too. How many years do you expect us to draft No. 3 and be able to get a guy like that, even if you put him under wraps for a year or two while you're grooming him? You have to consider that."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/13/gailey-on-draft-outlook/
“We’re sitting there with the third pick in the draft this year,” said Gailey on WHTK. ”If there is a franchise guy, I’m talking about a guy that can be the guy for six, eight, 10, 12 years then you’ve got to consider it. Even if Fitz starts for the next two years and you have to develop him, you still have to consider it. I know Buddy (Nix) and I are in this thing for the long term. We’re not just looking for the quick fix, what can we do to win this year no matter what. It’s about what the best decision is long term for the Buffalo Bills.”

outside of the direct quotes, there have been tons of rumors stating Nix and Gailey both love Newton.

the point is ... the Bills don't pull punches (they might just not be smart enough), they tend to show their hand. everything has pointed toward Newton, and Nix has flat out said we are set at OLB, and with keeping Maybin another year (he is getting one more year at least, there are quotes i can't find right now), and signing Merriman, we are not drafting Miller.

i know you like to stick to your guns on certain picks Scott, but if Newton is on the board at #3, he is the pick, you can't keep giving us Miller (even if it's not Newton it won't be Miller).

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
sorry Scott, totally disagree with Miller to the Bills. the Bills do not seem to do the "smoke screen" game. last year they were honest about what they needed, they talked about wanting a "water-bug" type player a lot, and we took Spiller in the 1st although it was not a need, they also talked about needing to get players for the 3-4 and we went with 3-4 D-Line in the 2nd and 3rd.

now, this year Gailey and Nix have spoke a lot of Newton. here are some other quotes.

Gailey quotes:

outside of the direct quotes, there have been tons of rumors stating Nix and Gailey both love Newton.

the point is ... the Bills don't pull punches (they might just not be smart enough), they tend to show their hand. everything has pointed toward Newton, and Nix has flat out said we are set at OLB, and with keeping Maybin another year, and signing Merriman, we are not drafting Miller.

i know you like to stick to your guns on certain picks Scott, but if Newton is on the board at #3, he is the pick, you can't keep giving us Miller.

Completely agree with this. The Bills are taking Newton and are all but screaming it from the mountaintops. They did the same thing last year with Spiller, but nobody was listening.

holt_bruce81
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
AJ Green falling to #10, any chance Julio could actually jump him and AJ could be available at #14 for the Rams?

Love em both so if we get either, I'd be happy. Them or Aldon Smith.

Nalej
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm digging the Pats mock.
Not coming away with Kerrigan or Houston blows though

SRogers92
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
The Detroit Lions will not take an Offensive Tackle unless something drastic happens.

Jeff Backus is old, okay, we get it ... but -- he played very well last year. As I've posted in several other topics, he graded out as the best OT in the NFCN last year(I can't remember which site but, it was a pretty well respected one). He played very good for us and we actually ran better to the left side than the right side.

Gosder Cherilus played well(Schwartz said that was our best OL last year) and Corey Hilliard played well at backup RT when Cherilus went down.

Going back to two years ago ... Schwartz specifically stated you do not need an elite LT to be a good team and 'win it all' ... he listed the Colts, Saints, Steelers, and Patriots are prime examples ... none had a Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, etc type of player ... this team just does not value LT that highly and goes BPA ... I seriously doubt a player like Tyron Smith who's a project at LT or Castonzo who has serious athleticism issues are going to be the BPA on our board over guys like Kerrigan, Jordan, Aldon Smith, Quinn, etc.

Essentially ... there's like no chance we go LT.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Lions fans are the new Chiefs fans, and it makes me kinda happy.

JohnCandy
03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
This is the Bears nightmare scenario.

There is a run on the top OL talent and they are left at 29 with a monstrous need at OL and a 1st round DT.

Liuget is the value pick and fits the system, but they really wanted someone to fall.

JohnCandy
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I have Paea rated higher so Liuget wouldn't even be bpa at the DT position for me. I think Ijalana is a better player at a far bigger need position. With FA coming after the draft how can we afford to not go OL.

Trade down is another great option for the Bears if they feel the OL need is that big and do not want to risk an uncertain free agency period.

Someone I have been mocking to the Bears in the 2nd round is OG Clint Boling. He is not flashy or as physically impressive as Ijalana, but he is a tough mean lunch pale blocker that I could see Mike Tice falling in love with.

Not as much upside as Ijalana, but I think Boling starts Day 1 at LG for the Bears.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't like Prince going as high as #7 to San Fran. I think he is getting top 10 talk because after him,. the drop off at CB is severe so some team may reach but IMO, he isn't a top 10 talent. Zero interception as a senior hardly says he's in that league. More of a 11-20 type.
San Fran will likely take Quinn(if he doesn't drop like a rock due to his brain tumour) or Aldon Smith.

While I believe Jerry Jones is the reason Dallas may never win another SB while he's the owner/GM, I don't believe he will go Watt in round 1. Passing on an OLman would just be ridiculous and clearly show, he has no idea of how to build a winner in the NFL, oh but I guess he is after all Jerry Jones.

I also don't think Miami will go Ingram at #15, just way too early for a RB with no breakaway speed. He'll go round 1 but much later IMO, Miami can take a shot on a RB in round 2 who could easily turnout to be a better player than Ingram in the end.

Tampa Bay is still predominately a Tampa 2 defense, so I don't believe Clayborn suits that scheme. Houston would make a lot more sense to me if they take a DE, a smaller type who can really rush the passer.

I just don't see Heyward as a 4-3 DE, He'll likely play DT in that scheme, far more likely to see a 3-4 team draft him as a DE.

Not a Brandon Harris fan and even Jimmy Smith may be a reach in round one. Just don't like these CB's, Harris, because he was eaten alive by Floyd in the Notre Dame game and Smith because his character issues show up on the field with lackadaisical play. I can see both slipping to round 2.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM

I tend to agree, when Joe Paterno kicks you off his team, scouts and GM's will take notice.

EstablishTheRun
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Von Miller to the Bills? Ew, talk about Aaron Maybin 2.0

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
This is the Bears nightmare scenario.

There is a run on the top OL talent and they are left at 29 with a monstrous need at OL and a 1st round DT.

Liuget is the value pick and fits the system, but they really wanted someone to fall.

With the loss of Harris, Smith will be looking hard for a replacement, OLmen can be found in rounds 2 and 3.

Pat Sims 90
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I wont even have to look at it to know what pick Wright is giving to the Bengals. Let me take a Guess with the #4 pick the Bengals select Cam Newton.

McGahee
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Gailey quotes:

the point is ... the Bills don't pull punches (they might just not be smart enough), they tend to show their hand. everything has pointed toward Newton, and Nix has flat out said we are set at OLB, and with keeping Maybin another year (he is getting one more year at least, there are quotes i can't find right now), and signing Merriman, we are not drafting Miller.

i know you like to stick to your guns on certain picks Scott, but if Newton is on the board at #3, he is the pick, you can't keep giving us Miller (even if it's not Newton it won't be Miller).

They did the same thing with Tebow last year and they didn't take him. Remember that?

Also, you are right about Nix being honest, BUT, as far as being set at OLB, Nix has brought in quite a few OLB prospects that lead you to believe the Bills are taking an OLB high in this draft despite what he said.

So far he's brought in Kerrigan, Bowers, Houston, and Miller.

So the Bills are in fact looking at pass-rushing OLBs, heck Nix said the biggest need for the Bills front 7 is a pass rusher. And I don't believe that bringing in all of those OLBs is a smokescreen since that would just be a waste of visits...

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
If I recall, the Bills never said anything regarding Tebow. Jim Kelly kept saying that they should take Tebow, but he's not involved with the organization.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
The Detroit Lions will not take an Offensive Tackle unless something drastic happens.

Jeff Backus is old, okay, we get it ... but -- he played very well last year. As I've posted in several other topics, he graded out as the best OT in the NFCN last year(I can't remember which site but, it was a pretty well respected one). He played very good for us and we actually ran better to the left side than the right side.

Gosder Cherilus played well(Schwartz said that was our best OL last year) and Corey Hilliard played well at backup RT when Cherilus went down.

Going back to two years ago ... Schwartz specifically stated you do not need an elite LT to be a good team and 'win it all' ... he listed the Colts, Saints, Steelers, and Patriots are prime examples ... none had a Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, etc type of player ... this team just does not value LT that highly and goes BPA ... I seriously doubt a player like Tyron Smith who's a project at LT or Castonzo who has serious athleticism issues are going to be the BPA on our board over guys like Kerrigan, Jordan, Aldon Smith, Quinn, etc.

Essentially ... there's like no chance we go LT.

I disagree, Stafford is a brittle QB and must be protected at all costs or the Lions will be back on draft days looking for a new QB.
As for Tyron Smith, until he works out, I don't know how high he will go and I have reservations about Castonzo, but if either checks out, and are available, one will likely be our pick.
Where the Colts, Saints, Steelers and Patriots draft, they aren't ever going to see an elite LT available but NO has a 1st rounder there and NE has an All Pro there, while the Steelers and the Colts are likely to pick one this year if they can find a LT available when they pick.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Von Miller to the Bills? Ew, talk about Aaron Maybin 2.0

Not even close, Miller is a much better prospect than Maybin and a top 5 talent.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Not only that, but the Colts had a perennially great (but not amazing) LT in Tarik Glenn and traded a future first to try and replace him with Ugoh.

keylime_5
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
whether it be Bowers, Fairley, Green, Dareus, Peterson, Quinn....the Browns are sitting pretty at 6 overall. I have a hard time believing that Bowers falls out of the top 3. I think the talk of him falling is all smoke or overblown (like Andre Smith "falling" in 2009 after a bad combine then going top 5).

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
If Prince is gone, Detroit very well could take a OT because of Backus age/final year of contract not his play and the knee problems of Gosder. Backus has played well the last 2 years except for one giant mistake and all non Lions fans really only see the big mistake Week 1 and not how well he played the rest of the year or how well he played in 2009. But I think Detroit only takes a OT at 13 if they can't trade down which is the next best option after Prince falling. If they trade down its wide open what they will take from CB,OLB,OT,interior Oline(Pouncey) or even a DE if BPA.

A Rookie stud OT like Okung or Trent Williams or 2nd year Oher(who had some problems at LT last year) could make the same mistake against Peppers as the veteran Backus did. May have been worse with a rookie OT since that would have been the rookies first game. But you have to start somewhere and taking Tyron Smith or another OT would probably be the best pick for the long term success of the Lions. 2011 probably not as I think Backus would still be the LT and Gosder/rookie OT would battle for the RT position with probably the rookie stud tackle winning the job. Then in 2012, Smith or whoever would move over to LT. I'd rather have the veteran protecting Staffords blind side than a rookie right given how fragile he is.

And I don't fault Mayhew one bit for passing on Oher and Okung/Trent Williams. Pettigrew had 700 yards last year and is very valuable and Suh is a beast. This is the correct year to take a tackle based on value unless Prince falls.

EstablishTheRun
03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Not even close, Miller is a much better prospect than Maybin and a top 5 talent.

What evidence do you have? Because if you watch tape, you realize Miller is purely a speed guy who has no pass rushing moves, how's he gonna do in the NFL? About as good as Maybin is doing? Is Miller a top 5 talent in this draft or any draft? In most drafts, he'd be top 15, but in this one, it's about need, not talent.

regoob2
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Trade down is another great option for the Bears if they feel the OL need is that big and do not want to risk an uncertain free agency period.

Someone I have been mocking to the Bears in the 2nd round is OG Clint Boling. He is not flashy or as physically impressive as Ijalana, but he is a tough mean lunch pale blocker that I could see Mike Tice falling in love with.

Not as much upside as Ijalana, but I think Boling starts Day 1 at LG for the Bears.If we could get a 2nd and 3rd id do it 10 times out of 10. I like the depth of this draft for our needs.

I like Boling too. He could be a reach there and won't be a pro bowler but he's a good all around player and can be a 10 year starter.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
What evidence do you have? Because if you watch tape, you realize Miller is purely a speed guy who has no pass rushing moves, how's he gonna do in the NFL? About as good as Maybin is doing? Is Miller a top 5 talent in this draft or any draft? In most drafts, he'd be top 15, but in this one, it's about need, not talent.

Dunno about that. He's already pretty good at getting his hands inside, using leverage, and then extending to disengage from linemen. His outside and inside rips are already pretty devastating as well. Add one counter move off of that and combine it with his speed and explosion, and you're looking at a pretty devastating football player in a couple of seasons.

Speaking of watching the tape, he absolutely jumps off of the film. He knifes through traffic and chases plays down from the backside in the run game. Is he going to be overwhelmed at the point of attack as a rookie? **** yes, and I said in another thread that any coach that tries to use him as anything other than a situational pass rusher in his first year is a ******* idiot to begin with.

You compare him to Aaron Maybin, but Maybin didn't look half as good on tape as Miller does. Not only that, but he's extremely lazy and has put in zero work to make himself better.

Now, do I think that they should take Miller? Only if Cam Newton is gone. Because Newton and Chan Gailey together is going to be absolutely ******* awesome.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
If Prince is gone, Detroit very well could take a OT because of Backus age/final year of contract not his play and the knee problems of Gosder. Backus has played well the last 2 years except for one giant mistake and all non Lions fans really only see the big mistake Week 1 and not how well he played the rest of the year or how well he played in 2009. But I think Detroit only takes a OT at 13 if they can't trade down which is the next best option after Prince falling. If they trade down its wide open what they will take from CB,OLB,OT,interior Oline(Pouncey) or even a DE if BPA.

A Rookie stud OT like Okung or Trent Williams or 2nd year Oher(who had some problems at LT last year) could make the same mistake against Peppers as the veteran Backus did. May have been worse with a rookie OT since that would have been the rookies first game. But you have to start somewhere and taking Tyron Smith or another OT would probably be the best pick for the long term success of the Lions. 2011 probably not as I think Backus would still be the LT and Gosder/rookie OT would battle for the RT position with probably the rookie stud tackle winning the job. Then in 2012, Smith or whoever would move over to LT. I'd rather have the veteran protecting Staffords blind side than a rookie right given how fragile he is.

And I don't fault Mayhew one bit for passing on Oher and Okung/Trent Williams. Pettigrew had 700 yards last year and is very valuable and Suh is a beast. This is the correct year to take a tackle based on value unless Prince falls.

Exactly. That's the thing that bugs me about the "we don't NEED that" philosophy (or just drafting for need in general) - you don't know what your needs will be from year to year. Hell, something that is a perceived "weak" position on your team can turn into a strength by year's end. Just as quickly, a position that you think is set can be decimated in the span of a week.

Just look at the Packers this year. Going into the season, CB was deemed to be the biggest weakness on their roster. By season's end, it was the strongest position on their team. Conversely, the Minnesota defensive line was the supposed strength of that team and carried the defensive load. By season's end, they looked old and tired and were largely ineffective all year.

If the value is there, especially for a premium big man, you take it.

J-Mike88
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't see a comment at all from Titletown, and now seeing who you got, I can understand why.
No thanks to Akeem Ayers, although with USC Matthews, Cal Desmond Bishop, and Oregon State Nick Barnett, that's an All-Pac 10 set of LBers right there.

Speaking of Ayers, where is Clint Sintum these days?

I do like seeing Locker to Seattle...... really hope that pick happens

Not all teams come to the same conclusions about those off-field investigations.
All it takes is one team to want him bad enough.

ElectricEye
03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of Pouncey over Jordan. If Jordan is there, I really don't see how he isn't the pick even if he doesn't fit our traditional profile. As much as I like Wilkerson, if we have a chance to go Jordan/Reed or Jordan/any other impact pass rusher I'll be happy. We've gotten by with plugging offensive linemen in for a while now, don't see any reason why that has to change. We can even use the second round picks to address the interior a bit with a guy like Boling or Carpenter who fit our profile really well.

JohnCandy
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
If we could get a 2nd and 3rd id do it 10 times out of 10. I like the depth of this draft for our needs.

I like Boling too. He could be a reach there and won't be a pro bowler but he's a good all around player and can be a 10 year starter.

I think Clint Boling is higher on NFL team boards then he is on the internet boards.

He is a solid player that will never do anything but start games and work hard for the team. He reminds me of a less physical Logan Mankins.

Boling is what the Bears need someone who you can start and forget about like Kreutz for the 1st 10 years he was a Bear.

Poz51
03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
They did the same thing with Tebow last year and they didn't take him. Remember that?

Also, you are right about Nix being honest, BUT, as far as being set at OLB, Nix has brought in quite a few OLB prospects that lead you to believe the Bills are taking an OLB high in this draft despite what he said.

So far he's brought in Kerrigan, Bowers, Houston, and Miller.

So the Bills are in fact looking at pass-rushing OLBs, heck Nix said the biggest need for the Bills front 7 is a pass rusher. And I don't believe that bringing in all of those OLBs is a smokescreen since that would just be a waste of visits...

No team last year was taking Tebow in the top ten, much less Buffalo, and outside of Jim Kelly, who is an independant voice, no one in the organization was gushing over Tebow near like they are with Newton. They may have taken him in the second or third, but we will never know.
Every organization is doing there due diligence, and bringing in the top prospects, teams have drafted players they did not bring in for personal visits, that means very little.
Show me where Nix said the biggest need for the Bills front 7 is a pass rusher.

coordinator0
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
umm harris is okay. yes we could use a corner but we're not nearly as most think. Being a canes fan, I like harris a lot but he doesn't really offer anything that we don't have at the corner position. Word is they're looking for bigger CB's anyway. The ravens organization has expressed a lot of interest in improving the pass rush and has shown interest in the likes of Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan and Brooks Reed. OT has been mentioned but I personally don't see the value there. If Jimmy Smith was there they'd have to entertain that. But if I had to bet, I say they go with the highest rated front seven player on their board.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Even though I'm not a Miami fan I still like Harris, but how much does he improve our weakness (big corner that can match up in man coverage) in the secondary? Is Harris a guy that you're hearing the Ravens are high on or are you just giving the Ravens a corner because of the common perception of the secondary?

I think Houston would be a much better pick, the pass-rush was as bad as the secondary last season (and has been pretty under-whelming for the last few seasons). He's also a good fit for us, like you mentioned.

Brown Leader
03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Bowers has the talent to be a double-digit sack artist at the next level and that is exactly what the doctor ordered for Cleveland.
That's a nice way to word it since a lot is riding on how he checks out medically.

Bengals78
03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Completely agree with this. The Bills are taking Newton and are all but screaming it from the mountaintops. They did the same thing last year with Spiller, but nobody was listening.

I agree make it happen Scott!

And then we will gladly take Green/Fairley

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree make it happen Scott!

And then we will gladly take Green/Fairley

Considering the Bengals made clear they have no intentions of bringing either Ocho or TO back, Green seems like a beyond obvious pick.

T-RICH49
03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
ughhhh I am so sick of these damn OT picks for KC.it's NOT A NEED!!!our OL was much improved last year so taking an OT is ppointless.only a C would make sense

diabsoule
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I'll have no problem if we select "Son of Iron-head", but I do hope NO takes Paea with our first round pick.

Finally coming onto the Paea bandwagon? It's ok, I'll scoot over and let you in.

SenorGato
03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I can almost guarantee that the Jets won't take Paea with the 30th overall pick. He's strong but he's not a 3-4 NT prospect nor is he really a 3-4 DL prospect in general...If anything he's a better version of Trevor Laws and is best suited as a 4-3 UT.

I really really hope that Wilkerson or Heyward get to 30 on draft...if not then it's probably Ballard time.

Bengals78
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Considering the Bengals made clear they have no intentions of bringing either Ocho or TO back, Green seems like a beyond obvious pick.

Unless Dareus or Gabbert falls to us I have to agree.
This is a pretty bad year to need a QB.
I would really prefer building the OL to fit what Jay wants to do on offense.
Then I am fine taking a mid-rounder and seeing how it goes this season with him and a FA Vet. If the coaches like what that kid brings good if not, Andrew Luck sweepstakes here we come.

DiG
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM

i get it but they also understand its unlikely they will be bringing back their qb as well. and when it comes to a top 5 pick for a team without a qb or a wr, 9 times out of 10 that teams going to take the qb. with that said, its perfectly reasonable to think gabbert and newton could be gone at 1 and 3.

Bengals78
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
i get it but they also understand its unlikely they will be bringing back their qb as well. and when it comes to a top 5 pick for a team without a qb or a wr, 9 times out of 10 that teams going to take the qb. with that said, its perfectly reasonable to think gabbert and newton could be gone at 1 and 3.

We still wouldn't take Newton.
Everything I have heard says Newton isn't the best fit for the WCO Jay Gruden wants to start implementing in Cincy.
Most people finally got over Mallett to Cincy when Gruden was hired.

TACKLE
03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
We still wouldn't take Newton.
Everything I have heard says Newton isn't the best fit for the WCO Jay Gruden wants to start implementing in Cincy.
Most people finally got over Mallett to Cincy when Gruden was hired.

The Bengals won't draft a QB because of system....they won't draft one because Mike Brown still thinks Carson Palmer will be there for the next five years.

Bengals78
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
The Bengals won't draft a QB because of system....they won't draft one because Mike Brown still thinks Carson Palmer will be there for the next five years.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/3/21/2063276/report-marvin-lewis-acknowledging-that-carson-palmer-wont-be-back-in

Marvin says he knows Palmer wont be back. Doesn't mean he will be traded, but it means we will need a QB.

PossibleCabbage
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
No thanks to Akeem Ayers, although with USC Matthews, Cal Desmond Bishop, and Oregon State Nick Barnett, that's an All-Pac 10 set of LBers right there.

You also end up with an all Pac-10 LB corps by picking Arizona's Brooks Reed. Also keep in mind that it's much more likely that Brandon Chillar is with the team next year than Nick Barnett, but Chillar went to UCLA so it's all good.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Without the option of a trade down, I'm perfectly fine with that Bears pick.

I agree that our main problem is depth, however. A 2nd and a 3rd would be ideal.

bergo23
03-21-2011, 02:40 PM
But I don't think he will be there, the Pats would not pass on this guy. I would take Carimi or Castonzo and be happy with the "safe" pick.

matts22
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
ughhhh I am so sick of these damn OT picks for KC.it's NOT A NEED!!!our OL was much improved last year so taking an OT is ppointless.only a C would make sense

Scott is apparently trying to break the record for consecutive years mocking an OT to a team and being wrong.

We told him last year and he didn't listen. We're telling him this year and he's still not listening.

We had the number 1 rushing offense in the NFL last year and our passing offense was MUCH better. If we get a WR opposite Bowe, the OL will look great because Cassel won't have to hold on to the ball forever waiting for someone to get open.

redbills
03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
if we take miller im face punching someone

SaintsMan
03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I hate the Saints pick. Doesn't fit our defense at all, our DE's need to be ab;e to put consistant pressure on the QB. I'm praying for Kerrigan to fall or maybe trade up a few spots for him.

Caulibflower
03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I like you giving the Seahawks Locker, but strangely, I feel my animosity towards Ryan Mallett is fading. I'm still not super-psyched about either of them as prospects, but the gap between Mallett and Locker has shrunk, at least insofar as my own opinions go.

With some of the wideouts we've got, a big arm could be just what we need. I'm starting to be able to envision Mallett throwing deep bombs to BMW, Tate, Butler and Obamanu. And we know he likes to throw to the tight end, and we've got a solid receiver in John Carlson. My biggest concern remains his ability to perform under pressure and not get sacked easily, which is what ol' Hass has given us way too much of lately. I don't have those concerns as much with Locker, but what I envision with him is an improvisation offense. I won't annoy people by calling him a "Steve Young-type" prospect, but maybe more like a bigger Jeff Garcia.

4U2NV
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
My apologies if this has already come up, (I haven't read through the entire thread yet) but Ingram to Miami just doesn't make sense. I know at first glance it seems like a perfect fit, which is obvious given how many people mock Ingram to Miami, but, we have way more pressing needs.

When you factor in Ingram's lack of elite talent and the amount of depth at the position this year and also throw in the fact that we don't have a 2nd round pick, I just don't see how you can take Ingram at 15 if you're Miami. Our interior O-Line is awful, and we also need another pass rusher opposite of Cam Wake. He can't do it alone.

Koa Misi is better suited on the inside, he had only 4.5 sacks all of last year and went a long stretch during the season without one. In my mock I've got us taking Justin Houston who I think would fit the need for another pass rusher allowing us to move Misi inside.

Also, with our issues in the secondary, especially at safety, getting somebody else to rush the passer and limit his time to throw would help in that regard considering there's no safeties worthy of being taken that high.

Our D despite the great showing they had last year is still not perfect. We can address our RB need in the 3rd round with Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murrary or possibly Mikel Leshoure if he's still on the board.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2011, 05:23 PM

The Chiefs are going to be in the perfect position to trade down. The value picks for that spot are going to be Locker, Mallett, and the mid-first round OTs, all of which will be very enticing to someone down at the bottom of the first or in the early second looking to move up. IMO, that's their best course of action, provided they can find someone willing to move up (which I don't think they'll have a problem doing).

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
My apologies if this has already come up, (I haven't read through the entire thread yet) but Ingram to Miami just doesn't make sense. I know at first glance it seems like a perfect fit, which is obvious given how many people mock Ingram to Miami, but, we have way more pressing needs.

When you factor in Ingram's lack of elite talent and the amount of depth at the position this year and also throw in the fact that we don't have a 2nd round pick, I just don't see how you can take Ingram at 15 if you're Miami. Our interior O-Line is awful, and we also need another pass rusher opposite of Cam Wake. He can't do it alone.

Koa Misi is better suited on the inside, he had only 4.5 sacks all of last year and went a long stretch during the season without one. In my mock I've got us taking Justin Houston who I think would fit the need for another pass rusher allowing us to move Misi inside.

Also, with our issues in the secondary, especially at safety, getting somebody else to rush the passer and limit his time to throw would help in that regard considering there's no safeties worthy of being taken that high.

Our D despite the great showing they had last year is still not perfect. We can address our RB need in the 3rd round with Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murrary or possibly Mikel Leshoure if he's still on the board.

I am a proponent of that approach. However, this Dolphins regime is already on the hot seat (especially the coaches) and they need instant impact. With a bad starting quarterback, the Phins desperately need a dominant running game to have any chance to even go .500 in 2011. I think they will appreciate a sure-thing like Ingram.

TACKLE
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
The Chiefs are going to be in the perfect position to trade down. The value picks for that spot are going to be Locker, Mallett, and the mid-first round OTs, all of which will be very enticing to someone down at the bottom of the first or in the early second looking to move up. IMO, that's their best course of action, provided they can find someone willing to move up (which I don't think they'll have a problem doing).

I'm inclined to agree that they could get a lot of interest at that pick. But I think they have a very hard time passing on Phil Taylor. If you look at Pioli's draft history, taking a true 3-4 NT makes a ton of sense especially given that they currently don't have one under contract. They may be able to move back a bit and still land him but Pioli has never had a hard time reaching on guys who fit the scheme, especially d-lineman.

thebow305
03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I am a proponent of that approach. However, this Dolphins regime is already on the hot seat (especially the coaches) and they need instant impact. With a bad starting quarterback, the Phins desperately need a dominant running game to have any chance to even go .500 in 2011. I think they will appreciate a sure-thing like Ingram.

This is a great point, and I love Ingram but I was kind of hoping you'd go outside the box on the Phins pick. I'm starting to get really bored with it. I think someone like LeShoure or Ryan Williams in the 2nd or 3rd would have almost the same immediate impact as Ingram.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
This is a great point, and I love Ingram but I was kind of hoping you'd go outside the box on the Phins pick. I'm starting to get really bored with it. I think someone like LeShoure or Ryan Williams in the 2nd or 3rd would have almost the same immediate impact as Ingram.

If I didn't go Ingram to Miami, it would have been Jake Locker or Mike Pouncey.

bergo23
03-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Scott, if you are right and we get Jordan, I can't wait to see who you think AJ will pick in round 2!!!! Must see TV!!!

keylime_5
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I can almost guarantee that the Jets won't take Paea with the 30th overall pick. He's strong but he's not a 3-4 NT prospect nor is he really a 3-4 DL prospect in general...If anything he's a better version of Trevor Laws and is best suited as a 4-3 UT.

I really really hope that Wilkerson or Heyward get to 30 on draft...if not then it's probably Ballard time.

yeah, I think he's being looked at as a 3 technique defensive tackle. Phil Taylor is the Nose Guard that everyone is gonna target in round one. Paea looks like a late first or early second round UT for 4-3 teams.

BeerBaron
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I think that Bears pick is likely even if there are still top offensive lineman around. Terrifyingly, it has been reported that several within the organization view J'Marcus Webb as our LT of the future, and the team seems to badly want Olin Kreutz back...I'm not convinced we draft o-line even if a top talent is available.

Also, I think there's a better chance of the lockout ending tomorrow than the Bears drafting a corner in the first round. Other than the 2nd we spent on Charles Tillman, we never seem to invest anything more than mid-rounders in the position.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Now, do I think that they should take Miller? Only if Cam Newton is gone. Because Newton and Chan Gailey together is going to be absolutely ******* awesome.

I know you and I are in complete agreement with this. I'm not normally one of those "If he goes he, he's going to fail, if he goes here, success" but Newton with Panthers/Bengals as opposed to Buffalo screams this.

4U2NV
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM

I would be happy with either of those choices.

JohnCandy
03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I think that Bears pick is likely even if there are still top offensive lineman around. Terrifyingly, it has been reported that several within the organization view J'Marcus Webb as our LT of the future, and the team seems to badly want Olin Kreutz back...I'm not convinced we draft o-line even if a top talent is available.

Also, I think there's a better chance of the lockout ending tomorrow than the Bears drafting a corner in the first round. Other than the 2nd we spent on Charles Tillman, we never seem to invest anything more than mid-rounders in the position.

I agree with you there is a 0% chance the Bears draft a CB in the 1st, not to go in the Cover 2 defense.

I think the Bears would only pass on Liuget if Pouncey, Carimi or Costanzo were available otherwise DT is a safe bet.

armageddon
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Julio to the Rams is perfect. Sure hopes it happens. WR's do tend to fall. He is a monster and would immediately help Bradford and the Rams offense.

Julio Jones
Denario Alexander
Avery - he was playing great in preseason prior to injury.
Mark Clayton
Gibson
Amendola

Suddenly the WR's are a strength.

D-Unit
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd be pretty damn happy if the Cowboys got JJ Watt. I like him better than Cameron Jordan. But it hurts that Fairley went 1 pick ahead. I'm not feelin' Amukamara, so I'm glad he's gone before we pick. Tyron Smith to Dallas is picking up steam.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd be pretty damn happy if the Cowboys got JJ Watt. I like him better than Cameron Jordan. But it hurts that Fairley went 1 pick ahead. I'm not feelin' Amukamara, so I'm glad he's gone before we pick. Tyron Smith to Dallas is picking up steam.

Dallas, or any other 3-4 team for that matter, doesn't want Nick Fairley. Could he play the five-technique? Sure, technically. But it would be a waste. Kind of like putting Kevin Williams or Gerald McCoy at that position. Plus Fairley wants to be inside where he can rush. I have a feeling Fairley has very little interest in playing the run and occupying blockers.

LizardState
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
The 9ers will go QB, they only have Carr on the roster now, but maybe in the 2nd rd. I think Kaepernick gave them an exclusive workout last wk. in Squaw Vly. for a good reason & they might be a just a touch higher on him than some others.

Prince Amukamara makes perfect sense b/c of the Clements regression last yr, he's due a big salary bump next season & that alone will give them cause to bid him adios.

RealityCheck
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Solid Pats mock. Love Wilkerson hovewer I'm kind of skeptical about Pouncey.

thebow305
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Do you think Mallett is a possibility at 15? I'd rather him than Pouncey or Locker. Maybe even over Ingram since the RB class is so deep.

PossibleCabbage
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Dallas, or any other 3-4 team for that matter, doesn't want Nick Fairley. Could he play the five-technique? Sure, technically. But it would be a waste. Kind of like putting Kevin Williams or Gerald McCoy at that position. Plus Fairley wants to be inside where he can rush. I have a feeling Fairley has very little interest in playing the run and occupying blockers.

Yeah, your classic 5-tech is supposed to be a busy worker bee and a team player above all. You want selfless people who are really hard workers. Really doesn't play to Fairley's strengths at all, and more to the point it highlights his weaknesses.

4U2NV
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Do you think Mallett is a possibility at 15? I'd rather him than Pouncey or Locker. Maybe even over Ingram since the RB class is so deep.
I don't want that punk playing in Miami. I'd rather see us take Kaepernick at 15 than pick Mallett.

Brothgar
03-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Scott can Von Miller play in the 3-4 and 4-3? The Bills are going hybrid I think.

PossibleCabbage
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Scott can Von Miller play in the 3-4 and 4-3? The Bills are going hybrid I think.

He can, but he's an OLB in both systems. So it's not like the ordinary 3-4/4-3 switch where the RDE just stands up and everybody on the DL shifts.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:15 PM

Miller had 17 sacks as a junior and when he finally played as a senior, he was almost unstoppable. Maybin never had that kind of production in college.
Miller is the best pure pass rusher in this draft and would be a top 5 prospect in any year's draft. He will be a dominating pass rusher in the pros as well.
Oh yeah, h...mmm, no scout or GM in pro football agrees with your assessment so I suggest you re-examine your tape.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Unless Dareus or Gabbert falls to us I have to agree.
This is a pretty bad year to need a QB.
I would really prefer building the OL to fit what Jay wants to do on offense.
Then I am fine taking a mid-rounder and seeing how it goes this season with him and a FA Vet. If the coaches like what that kid brings good if not, Andrew Luck sweepstakes here we come.

And if you don't win the Luck sweepstakes, Cincy could be waiting another decade to find their franchise QB. Are you going to enjoy waiting a decade to find your franchise QB? It took Cincy a decade to find Palmer, do you really want to wait that long again???
What good is Green, what did Fitzgerald do without a starting QB, it would be a completely wasted pick???

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 11:32 PM
And if you don't win the Luck sweepstakes, Cincy could be waiting another decade to find their franchise QB. Are you going to enjoy waiting a decade to find your franchise QB? It took Cincy a decade to find Palmer, do you really want to wait that long again???
What good is Green, what did Fitzgerald do without a starting QB, it would be a completely wasted pick???

I agree 100%.

Teams can't hold off on quarterbacks in hopes of landing Andrew Luck. I promise you NFL teams don't think like that. Winning a single game in 2011 could put them out of the Luck sweepstakes.

wordofi
03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree 100%.

Teams can't hold off on quarterbacks in hopes of landing Andrew Luck. I promise you NFL teams don't think like that. Winning a single game in 2011 could put them out of the Luck sweepstakes.

I hope I don't sound rude or anything, but when are you going to start adding more scouting reports?

thebow305
03-21-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't want that punk playing in Miami. I'd rather see us take Kaepernick at 15 than pick Mallett.

Ouch. I'd stop watching the draft. Seriously.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 11:52 PM
I hope I don't sound rude or anything, but when are you going to start adding more scouting reports?

After I re-work the rankings I plan to spend the next few weeks knocking out scouting reports.

Caulibflower
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
It's been discussed a bit, but I just want to add that for what it's worth, I was reading the scouting reports on this site for a couple of years before I ever got involved with the forums. Even if you decide not to continue doing them at the level you did, I'd like to say they're one of the main reasons I started following the draft, because they were so detailed and informative. Made for a really great jumping off point.

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh ok. But is JJ Watt a guy that will be happy playing the run and occupying blockers while sacrificing the pleasure of rushing the passer?

Scott Wright
03-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, For The First Time This Year, Round 2!

2011 Mock Draft - Round 2
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 12:33 AM

I agree 100%.

I agree that the intention of waiting for Luck isn't what teams are going to be seriously considering, but I also don't think the teams in need of a QB are going to simply take Gabbert or Newton in Round 1 because they need a QB. If the Bengals don't take a QB, it's not the end of the world and a new decade of misery without a QB. Let's say Gabbert and Newton are gone by the Top 4. Then does Arizona and San Fran share that future fortune? I'm not convinced. There's FA and trade once the CBA is settled.

Caulibflower
03-22-2011, 12:34 AM

I like Rodney Hudson to Seattle (I've had him there myself). But I'm wondering if you think he'll stay around the 300 he weighed in at at the combine. It didn't really look like good weight, and I have to wonder if he's going to end up losing it and being a bit light for his position in the NFL.

JDB7821
03-22-2011, 12:36 AM

100% perfect Falcons mock. I had that as my first mock of the year, but I recently changed it to Houston and Cobb. Either way I'd be happy.

Babylon
03-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Love the combo of Locker and Hudson for Seattle but dont see Jake being there.

It wouldnt surprise me if 3 or 4 of the teams that need QBs trade down into the teens and grab their signal callers there. I expect teams like San Diego and New England to surprise by trading up for defensive help.

Brown Leader
03-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I heard some teams were turned off by Titus Young's personality? I think with Whipple now on board to personally vouch, Hankerson would be our guy if we went WR and he's there.

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
The combination of Watt and Cannon are nice. ...but if a 1st and 2nd rounder is enough to trade up for Patrick Peterson, then I'd rather have PP! :)

Babylon
03-22-2011, 12:46 AM
The combination of Watt and Cannon are nice. ...but if a 1st and 2nd rounder is enough to trade up for Patrick Peterson, then I'd rather have PP! :)

Carolina would jump at that offer, they can take a QB at 9 that is more where the value is and they can get back a second that they now dont have.

jCut
03-22-2011, 12:48 AM
I could see that Denver mock happening. Not ideal, but realistic.

vidae
03-22-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't hate Carimi so much anymore now that we got Phil Taylor in round 2.. :D

Scott, you devil. You had this planned from the start!

4U2NV
03-22-2011, 12:53 AM
The WR depth this year is awesome, so many potential stars and/or solid contributors to choose from. I'm surprised you've got Torrey Smith so low though, I keep looking at him as a low 1st round pick and I certainly don't see a question mark like Jon Baldwin going ahead of him.

Ricky Stanzi is also a surprising addition to Round 2, this is the first time I've seen him that high anywhere.

Do you really think that Saints would add another RB to their roster with all of the guys they've already got in the fold? I'm not saying they won't take one at all in this draft, but to spend a 2nd round pick on one after they just signed Thomas to an extension is surprising.

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Carolina would jump at that offer, they can take a QB at 9 that is more where the value is and they can get back a second that they now dont have.
Well, I hope those stars align. :)

hawkeye123
03-22-2011, 01:02 AM
The 49ers never address the most important and glaring need: quarterback.

SRK85
03-22-2011, 01:05 AM

They might have the chance too. If there is no good QBs at their pick wait. There is no sense in reaching for QB who could bust than passing on a great player.

Also I don't see the Bucs drafting a TE in round 2 their defense has more needs than offense.

4U2NV
03-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I keep hearing that the 9ers will re-sign Alex Smith and look for a veteran once free agency opens up. Not an ideal situation, but I don't think they need to reach for a QB when they don't necessarily have to.

M.O.T.H.
03-22-2011, 01:12 AM
If it were to play out like this...I'd want Dallas to go with Tyron Smith and Rahim Moore/Ras-I, myself.

But a Watt/Cannon combo is pretty sexy as well.

SRK85
03-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I keep hearing that the 9ers will re-sign Alex Smith and look for a veteran once free agency opens up. Not an ideal situation, but I don't think they need to reach for a QB when they don't necessarily have to.

Or he tells the team to lose every game so he can draft Luck :)

Iamcanadian
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
I agree that the intention of waiting for Luck isn't what teams are going to be seriously considering, but I also don't think the teams in need of a QB are going to simply take Gabbert or Newton in Round 1 because they need a QB. If the Bengals don't take a QB, it's not the end of the world and a new decade of misery without a QB. Let's say Gabbert and Newton are gone by the Top 4. Then does Arizona and San Fran share that future fortune? I'm not convinced. There's FA and trade once the CBA is settled.

Your forgetting that Brown is a notorious cheap owner and I doubt he gets into any bidding war for some other team's castoff at QB. Most of the other teams needing a QB don't have an owner with that reputation and are far more likely to pick up a solid veteran QB when FA arrives.
Brown almost always looks to the draft to solve his team's problems, unless he can get a FA pretty cheaply.
Possibly Gabbert and Newton will be gone by the time Cincy picks at #4 but if either one is available, it has been Brown's track record to draft one.

Wrathman
03-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Do you really think that Saints would add another RB to their roster with all of the guys they've already got in the fold? I'm not saying they won't take one at all in this draft, but to spend a 2nd round pick on one after they just signed Thomas to an extension is surprising.

I'm with you. They have Ivory, Thomas and will rework Bush's contract. They won't go RB in the 2nd round. In fact, I think they would go WR before they would go RB since Colston continues to have knee issues.

Iamcanadian
03-22-2011, 01:24 AM

I don't think so, at #9, it would be a huge risk to expect either Gabbert or Newton will still be there with so many teams drafting in the top 8 needing QB's. I don't think Carolina would take that chance and if they did it would cost Dallas a lot more picks.
Now maybe a trade up with Cleveland is possible but Peterson may not last that long either.

diabsoule
03-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Thoughts on the 2nd round

- Love Derek Sherrod to Buffalo. He'd be an immediate upgrade over the trash they have at LT

- While I like Clint Boling I would think Ben Ijalana would be a better fit to Carolina in the 2nd

- Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd? That's very surprising

- Absolutely LOVE the fit of Martez Wilson to the 49ers front 7. Him plus P-Willie would be a Defensive Coordinator's wet dream

- The Giants get a STEAL in the 2nd with Ballard and he's someone that fits their scheme perfectly.

- I have a hard time seeing the Saints go RB in this draft that early given they still have Bush, Ivory and recently signed Pierre Thomas to a long term deal.

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Your forgetting that Brown is a notorious cheap owner and I doubt he gets into any bidding war for some other team's castoff at QB. Most of the other teams needing a QB don't have an owner with that reputation and are far more likely to pick up a solid veteran QB when FA arrives.
Brown almost always looks to the draft to solve his team's problems, unless he can get a FA pretty cheaply.
Possibly Gabbert and Newton will be gone by the time Cincy picks at #4 but if either one is available, it has been Brown's track record to draft one.
Personally, I think they should take Gabbert or Newton, but I don't like the thought that if they passed that they'd struggle for years. The NFL is the one league that you can bounce back very quickly in.

RaiderNation
03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Raiders:

Surprised to see Wisniewski fall to the 3rd round. I think he is the most likely Raiders pick when you factor in the need, we hired his uncle as an assistant and he profiles out as a Raider type player IMO. CB is a possibility but I think Al can wait until the 3rd since he presumably thinks last years picks(Walter McFadden and Jeremy Ware) can make a impact next year. I also dont think Patrick profiles as a Raiders pick(didnt even run a 4.4 and we know Al loves speed). Davon House is a possible pick with the plend of size and speed and small school prospect AL finds every draft(Veldheer, Mitchell in the last 2 drafts). Also wouldnt be surpised if we go after Dontay Moch as a WLB for us opposite Wimbley. He fits the pass rushing/ very athletic OLB we have been using the last 2 seasons.

farfromforgotten
03-22-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm fine with the 49ers not selecting a QB in the 1st 2 rounds if all of those names are gone. CB and OLB are huge needs as well and those players are better values than reaching for a QB at #7 or #45 overall.

My question is: is Martez Wilson a pass rushing OLB? I honestly dont know much about the guy. Have heard his name quite a bit more recently though.

holt_bruce81
03-22-2011, 04:25 AM
I really like Danny Watkins to St. Louis in Round two. The guards in St.louis were horrible.

DallCowby1
03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
If it were to play out like this...I'd want Dallas to go with Tyron Smith and Rahim Moore/Ras-I, myself.

But a Watt/Cannon combo is pretty sexy as well.

I agree with the Possibility of adding Smith and then Moore.

I see Jerry is already saying he has two offers too move down. The wheels are spinning.....

Poz51
03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
I love Sherrod to Buffalo in the second, still do not see Miller in the first, but Sherrod in the second put a smile on my face :)

Go_Eagles77
03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Really solid first 2 picks for the eagles, though I prefer Brandon Harris over Smith.

DiG
03-22-2011, 07:58 AM
dont like the ponder pick in the 2nd round at all. it simply does not make sense for the redskins to take a project qb in the 2nd round. way too many needs and way too few draft picks. if they are looking for a guy to take over for rex this year or next than they wont wait to take a franchise qb with their 2nd round pick. its too risky that your guy falls and if a guy does fall through that many other teams there is a clear reason and the history of unsuccesful 2nd round qbs supports that notion very clearly. id be ok if the skins traded back into the late first and picked up locker or ponder because that tells me the front office is sold on that guy and committed to him. waiting for someone to fall is not the answer. never has been in the nfl and we cannot waist the few draft picks that we have.

*edit - 12 qbs taken in the 2nd round over the last 10 years (average of 1.2 per year) and only 3 of those 12 are current NFL starting QBs (Clausen, Henne and Brees) and obviously 2 of those 3 are on a very tight leash

SaintsMan
03-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I have a hard time seeing the Saints go RB in this draft that early given they still have Bush, Ivory and recently signed Pierre Thomas to a long term deal.

Seriously? All three of our RB's are injury prone. I fully expect a RB to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd, unless Ingram somehow falls to 24 which we we would have to strongly consider.

J-Mike88
03-22-2011, 08:50 AM
You also end up with an all Pac-10 LB corps by picking Arizona's Brooks Reed. Also keep in mind that it's much more likely that Brandon Chillar is with the team next year than Nick Barnett, but Chillar went to UCLA so it's all good.
Haha, that's a great point. Both of them.
Chillar stays, take Brooks Reed instead of Ayers, and trade Barnett for a late round pick and take a special teamer, another LB from the Pac-10.

prock
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I love Robert Quinn in the first, great value. I don't like Stanzi in the second, I think that is quite the reach for him, but we do REALLY need a quarterback, so it wouldn't be too terrible.

And also,
It's not an exaggeration to suggest the Jags have the worst set of safeties in the NFL.

The Vikings would like to argue for this title.

bitonti
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Raiders:

Surprised to see Wisniewski fall to the 3rd round. I think he is the most likely Raiders pick when you factor in the need, we hired his uncle as an assistant and he profiles out as a Raider type player IMO.

I dont' see why Wisniewski is valued so highly. He didn't play well at senior bowl. he didn't work out well. his film is only ok. Yes he might be a Raider but in round 4 more likely than round 2. Kris O'Dowd is a far better athlete (and has been a starter for USC since true freshman) but no one's clamoring for him in round 2.

bitonti
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Your forgetting that Brown is a notorious cheap owner

I question whether Mike Brown believes he needs a new QB.

Fans are all like "yes trade Carson, move on and get a QB" and maybe that's the right move.

but ownership isn't just gonna cave. They are gonna make this fool retire.

scottyboy
03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Scott you give me a Ballard boner! amazing draft. Question on the first: did you give ac to the giants based on it's a giants type pick, or are you higher on him than say carimi?

yourfavestoner
03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I question whether Mike Brown believes he needs a new QB.

Fans are all like "yes trade Carson, move on and get a QB" and maybe that's the right move.

but ownership isn't just gonna cave. They are gonna make this fool retire.

That's my ultimate feeling with them as well. Do I think they should take a top QB? Absolutely? Do I think that Mike Brown will have that kind of foresight? Probably not. A combination of AJ Green/Christian Ponder in rounds 1 and 2 sounds much more like something the Bengals would do.

ElectricEye
03-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Love the Brooks Reed pick. Not so hot on Ryan Williams as I don't think RB is a first day need, but Reed is a perfect fit.

Jakey
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Not the sexiest Steelers mock ive ever seen. I like Williams, but not sure about the value. Also dont like the value of Carpenter there, would rather have Marcus Gilbert later on.

JohnCandy
03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I am starting to see this more and more and I have to agree with Scott about this OL class.

This OL class is filled with 2nd round solid picks and with Boling, Cannon and Franklin going higher and higher it shows that there is not this huge gap between the 1st and 2nd teir OL prospects.

Babylon
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Love the Brooks Reed pick. Not so hot on Ryan Williams as I don't think RB is a first day need, but Reed is a perfect fit.

Personally i would have traded the two #1s for a chance at someone like Dareus or Peterson and then gone with Reed and a Wisniewski in the second but that is probably just me.

Vikes99ej
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
<3 Robert Quinn. I laughed when I saw Ricky Stanzi to the Vikings.

D-Unit
03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I love Robert Quinn in the first, great value. I don't like Stanzi in the second, I think that is quite the reach for him, but we do REALLY need a quarterback, so it wouldn't be too terrible.

And also,
It's not an exaggeration to suggest the Jags have the worst set of safeties in the NFL.

The Vikings would like to argue for this title.
You could argue it, but the Cowboys would win that title. :/

killxswitch
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Zero point in the Colts taking Solder. He will not be ready in time to protect Manning for very long, and we don't have the coaching staff to coach him up so I doubt he'd reach anywhere near his potential here. It kills me that you gave Carimi to the Chiefs one frigging pick before the Colts. I'd rather have Sherrod or, barring any decent OTs, I guess Stephen Paea. Torrey Smith would not be my first choice in the 2nd but it seems entirely possible.

yourfavestoner
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Zero point in the Colts taking Solder. He will not be ready in time to protect Manning for very long, and we don't have the coaching staff to coach him up so I doubt he'd reach anywhere near his potential here. It kills me that you gave Carimi to the Chiefs one frigging pick before the Colts. I'd rather have Sherrod or, barring any decent OTs, I guess Stephen Paea. Torrey Smith would not be my first choice in the 2nd but it seems entirely possible.

I pray to god every single day that the Colts find a way to get Tyron Smith. By the time he's ready to contribute, Manning will be retired.

Grizzlegom
03-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I dont' see why Wisniewski is valued so highly. He didn't play well at senior bowl. he didn't work out well. his film is only ok. Yes he might be a Raider but in round 4 more likely than round 2. Kris O'Dowd is a far better athlete (and has been a starter for USC since true freshman) but no one's clamoring for him in round 2.

Its hard to play well at the Senior Bowl if you aren't there...He showed up bigger and stronger than everyone expected and showed elite technique at the combine...his tape backs that up as he's arguably the most technically sound lineman we've ever seen coming out of college...he's a three year starter with experience at both OG and C. Aside from a 3 game stretch at the beginning of this season, where he was surrounded by 3 first-year starters, his tape is excellent. I feel like you are confusing him with someone else...

As an aside, O'Dowd would be in the 2nd round discussion if his knees haven't been operated on so many times.

killxswitch
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I pray to god every single day that the Colts find a way to get Tyron Smith. By the time he's ready to contribute, Manning will be retired.

I would actually prefer Smith to Solder but I don't really want either of them.

yourfavestoner
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I would actually prefer Smith to Solder but I don't really want either of them.

Haven't seen any of Solder, so I can't really comment on him. I've come away none too impressed. He gets abused at the point of attack by line of scrimmage players in the run game and he plays too tall in the passing game - he'll get his hips turned and get beat in the NFL. Really, the only thing he does well is get up to the second level and onto linebackers in the running game. Basically, he would just exacerbate the problems Indy already has on the offensive line if they tried to play him early.

bergo23
03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Cobb is not a bad pick, they do need a slot guy who can return kicks...why not Torrey Smith who you have rated higher?

No way we draft Sheard with his off the field problems...and I think English is FAR from a bust, he needs a FULL year of snaps before he is deemed worthy of replacing.

Appreciate your work Scott, and I think you are on the right track with the early second rounder, but no way we draft Sheard. I think your next pick on the board to the Bears is WAY more likely in Ijalana...who can help at RT.

bitonti
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Its hard to play well at the Senior Bowl if you aren't there..

lol fair enough. I just don't see why he's an elite prospect. He's certainly not an elite athlete work-out wise.

CJSchneider
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I see NO looking for a RB in the draft for sure, but not in the 2nd round. I really hope we go Defense with both our 1st and 2nd round pick.

villagewarrior
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
What do we think the odds are that Phil Taylor will actually last until the Chiefs 2nd pick? That would be fantastic if it happened, but I'm thinking a guy that big and athletic and the performance he has put on in the post-season circuit someone is going to pull the trigger on him super early.

Grizzlegom
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
lol fair enough. I just don't see why he's an elite prospect. He's certainly not an elite athlete work-out wise.

Yea, i dont consider him an elite prospect either. I put him under the 'very good' category. His strong point is that he's the kind of player you can plug in at either C or OG right away and forget about the position for 10 years because he's going to be a rock-solid starter. For teams that are missing that one piece, that can be very valuable. I agree he's not an elite athlete but his tape showed he's actually very good at pulling, granted you don't ask your C to do that too much so if he winds up there it could be moot.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
The more that I think about it, the more that I think the top 5 players will be those that are in Scott's top 5.

I don't think it will necessarily be in that order, but if you go through all 5 teams, A.J. Green, Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley seem the only other possible options to crack the top 5. Cincinnati is the only real wild card.

defensiveback23
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Honestly I could not be happier with the Jordan and Sheard picks for the Chargers. They fill the two most pressing needs for the team and are outstanding fits. I have my doubts they will be able to get them though. Sheard's off field problems seem to be pretty overstated as well so I'm not too worried about that.

Cobb also seems like a good fit, but they do tend to stray from smaller receivers. With the change in kick off rules, perhaps the emphasis on returns will decline as well. I do like the pick there as I think he would be a great option for the offense.

nepg
03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
The more that I think about it, the more that I think the top 5 players will be those that are in Scott's top 5.

I don't think it will necessarily be in that order, but if you go through all 5 teams, A.J. Green, Da'Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley seem the only other possible options to crack the top 5. Cincinnati is the only real wild card.
Every team in the Top 5 is a wild card. That's part of what makes this draft so interesting.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Every team in the Top 5 is a wild card. That's part of what makes this draft so interesting.
Not really. Like I said, I think there are a limited number of players capable of breaking the top 5. There's some intrigue of who will go where, but the talk of this draft not having a distinct elite tier is overdone.

nepg
03-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Not really. Like I said, I think there are a limited number of players capable of breaking the top 5. There's some intrigue of who will go where, but the talk of this draft not having a distinct elite tier is overdone.
Carolina, Denver, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Arizona could all draft pretty much any position/player (OL being the extreme long-shot). Each team has needs at every position on the field. None of the trio of Green, Bowers, and Fairley is the clear-cut best player at his position, and there are other elitish talents available. Again, all 5 of those teams are complete wild cards.

On another slightly related topic, the QBs in this draft are greatly overscrutinized and highly underrated. We're looking at 4 elite QB prospects as far as tools and potential are concerned, yet people are putting one or two of them in the 2nd round... And often only one in the Top 10 in a draft that is chalk-full of QB-needy teams. That's ridiculous.

Babylon
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Carolina, Denver, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Arizona could all draft pretty much any position/player (OL being the extreme long-shot). Each team has needs at every position on the field. None of the trio of Green, Bowers, and Fairley is the clear-cut best player at his position, and there are other elitish talents available. Again, all 5 of those teams are complete wild cards.

On another slightly related topic, the QBs in this draft are greatly overscrutinized and highly underrated. We're looking at 4 elite QB prospects as far as tools and potential are concerned, yet people are putting one or two of them in the 2nd round... And often only one in the Top 10 in a draft that is chalk-full of QB-needy teams. That's ridiculous.

I agree on the QBs. I do think that the way to go is not to take a QB in the top half dozen picks based on grades but i also think there will be 5 QBs go in round 1.

no bare feet
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Interesting

Draft

for

Steelers

nepg
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
If you need a QB, you should draft one where you can. Which is why I think there should be 4 drafted in the Top 10-15.

yourfavestoner
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM

This quarterback class is highly, highly unique because of that. In terms of the big four (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, and Locker), you're looking at quite possibly the most physically talented quartet of quarterback prospects ever. The problem is that all of them have at least one massive flaw.

Gabbert looks the part and been coached up perfectly by Tom Condon, but he severely regressed from his sophomore to junior season. His happy feet and fear of ghost rushers is, in my opinion, a deal-breaker and not something that's going to get better once NFL defenders are tearing down on him. At a certain point, he becomes too good of a value to pass up (because of his physical skills and purported work ethic), but his film is underwhelming and, to be quite frank, he plays like he's afraid to get hit.

Newton has a litany of off field issues - a lot of which are hearsay. I almost always tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt (because I don't know them personally), but there's a hell of a lot of smoke blowing out of Newton's camp. He's not quite as bad mechanically as people make him out to be, but the lack of experience (and further, the lack of available game film) make it tough to evaluate him.

Mallett is slow-footed and made some pretty big mistakes at crunch time in his biggest games. I think the speed concerns are overblown, as he's shown multiple times that he can make accurate throws while getting hit or with defenders draped off of him - a necessity for a slower-footed NFL QB. FWIW, he's my highest ranked quarterback out of this group, slightly ahead of Newton. For the life of me, I can't figure out why his stock seems to be in a free-fall, so I have to assume he's not grading out well with teams in interviews and the like.

Locker, simply, is a poor decision maker. He either jumps off the film or he's completely terrible - there's no in between with him whatsoever.

wicket
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Scotty, I liked you so much after the first round pick, the first rounder I most liked out of you for my saints in a while and you have to throw it all away with such a bad second rounder. The only way I can see the saints drafting a runner is if it is a back that fits in the system, which LeShoure doesnt. They will continue to breed Ivory into the power back to close of games. So even if a back is taken its a back that can either spell for the same role as reggie and PT or can even be the eventual replacement of reggie. Either way LeShoure is exactly not what the saints need and quite frankly a terrible pick iyam.

Shouldve given the saints someone like Mason Foster who can push Shanle and Casillas pretty much staight away for one of the OLB spots

Scott Wright
03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Scott you give me a Ballard boner! amazing draft. Question on the first: did you give ac to the giants based on it's a giants type pick, or are you higher on him than say carimi?

Of all the picks in this mock, Ballard fall that far was what I was most uncomfortable with.

As for the Giants first rounder, Carimi could be in the mix as well.

SaintsMan
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I see NO looking for a RB in the draft for sure, but not in the 2nd round. I really hope we go Defense with both our 1st and 2nd round pick.

We'll, the Saints do have a pre draft visit scheduled with RB, Kendall Hunter. The 3rd we got from Wash might be a good spot for a RB.

nepg
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Scotty, I liked you so much after the first round pick, the first rounder I most liked out of you for my saints in a while and you have to throw it all away with such a bad second rounder. The only way I can see the saints drafting a runner is if it is a back that fits in the system, which LeShoure doesnt. They will continue to breed Ivory into the power back to close of games. So even if a back is taken its a back that can either spell for the same role as reggie and PT or can even be the eventual replacement of reggie. Either way LeShoure is exactly not what the saints need and quite frankly a terrible pick iyam.

Shouldve given the saints someone like Mason Foster who can push Shanle and Casillas pretty much staight away for one of the OLB spots

How does LeShoure not fit any team's system?! He can run up the middle, has OK ability to get outside, should develop into a good blocker, and is a very good receiver.

Disagree with a RB being the pick all you want, but anyone saying LeShoure doesn't fit in their team's system is a bit weird because he's so very versatile.

brat316
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice 2 ROUNDs!! I just saw this thread. Ehh I'm not to hyped out the Steelers pick but I guess it meets needs.

What is happing with the reports?

GoRavens
03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
An excellent pass rush makes average corners look a whole lot better, and for that Brooks Reed should be the Ravens choice.
Hankerson is awesome, although he may not fit the 'speed' need in Baltimore, he'd still be a go-to target for Flacco.

Captain Canuck
03-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Scott, good work as always. I like the Bills draft although I would have went with Ballard in the 2nd instead of Sherrod. I can also see them pulling the trigger on Newton, but Miller is a nice player. Just some thoughts though.......

I'm assuming you don't follow the Bills all that close, because if you did you would realize that they are set at LT. Demetrius Bell was coming back from an injury at the beginning of the year and his play improved drastically towards the end of the season. If you look at o-line statistics he was very good. He has everything you look for in a LT, is getting stronger, and his technique gets better all the time. As for RT, its definitely a need, but the front office seems to be happy with giving Eric Pears a shot, although I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Marcus Gilbert or James Brewer in the 4th (if they are available) to compete at that spot.

49erNation85
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
The draft is alright for SF.Sucks we miss out on the top tier QB though so bummed tho I think Mallet might fall to us in round two or Ponder even.I like the picks still.

the natural
03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
"stoner", how you figure Gabbert "severely regressed" in his junior year? His completions and yardage were about the same, he had a higher completion percentage, and the team won two more games than the previous season. The only thing that dropped were his passing touchdowns. He didn't get better the way you might expect, but he didn't get worse. Also there was a pretty big turnover in the offensive personel around him between his soph and junior seasons, which would have an effect.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Who, other than Gabbert, Netwon, Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, Green, Peterson, and Miller, has a realistic chance of being taken in the top 5? If every pick is a complete wild card, I would expect at least another 7-8 players.

wicket
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
How does LeShoure not fit any team's system?! He can run up the middle, has OK ability to get outside, should develop into a good blocker, and is a very good receiver.

Disagree with a RB being the pick all you want, but anyone saying LeShoure doesn't fit in their team's system is a bit weird because he's so very versatile.

i very much disagree on him being a very good receiver although he is an acceptable (nothing more) blocker. Basically the saints need either speedy backs who are great in the receiving or violent power backs (although the need for the latter is limited right now) and LeShoure (like ingram) gets by mostly on vision. This does not work all that well in killing of garbage time which is the only role he would get given his limited usefullness in the passing game

hybridremix
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry, but I just cannot understand the national obsession with sending a LT to the Lions. The OL is one of our smaller concerns, and what we do need on the OL is in the interior. A rookie LT will sit behind Backus all year and will do nothing to "keep Stafford upright". Comments like that from national guys are such strong proof they don't understand what the Lions need or want.

With Cameron Jordan, Julio Jones, and Mike Pouncey all going within five picks of #13, there is absolutely NO WAY we draft a developmental LT over those three guys who will all contribute immediately from Day One.

It. Will Not. Happen.

Bruce Carter seems like an opiate for mock drafters picking for the Lions in Round 2. Firstly, it makes very little sense right now. He's a major injury risk in that no one knows if he's going to retain his athleticism, so much like Herzlich his stock is hardly valuable in the middle of the 2nd. That can change if he proves otherwise. Secondly, Carter is nothing like the type of LB that Schwartz and Cunningham want! They are looking for two SAM-types so they don't need to give away their alignment when the offense moves the TE. Carter is an excellent WILL prospect, assuming his knee is fine, but he's not a SAM prospect. No one in their right mind would give Carter to a team who needs a SAM, so why do people continue to give him to the Lions when they want *TWO* SAMs???

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I just cannot understand the national obsession with sending a LT to the Lions. The OL is one of our smaller concerns, and what we do need on the OL is in the interior. A rookie LT will sit behind Backus all year and will do nothing to "keep Stafford upright". Comments like that from national guys are such strong proof they don't understand what the Lions need or want.

With Cameron Jordan, Julio Jones, and Mike Pouncey all going within five picks of #13, there is absolutely NO WAY we draft a developmental LT over those three guys who will all contribute immediately from Day One.

It. Will Not. Happen.

Bruce Carter seems like an opiate for mock drafters picking for the Lions in Round 2. Firstly, it makes very little sense right now. He's a major injury risk in that no one knows if he's going to retain his athleticism, so much like Herzlich his stock is hardly valuable in the middle of the 2nd. That can change if he proves otherwise. Secondly, Carter is nothing like the type of LB that Schwartz and Cunningham want! They are looking for two SAM-types so they don't need to give away their alignment when the offense moves the TE. Carter is an excellent WILL prospect, assuming his knee is fine, but he's not a SAM prospect. No one in their right mind would give Carter to a team who needs a SAM, so why do people continue to give him to the Lions when they want *TWO* SAMs???

I agree Backus would still start in 2011 at LT over a rookie. But the draft isn't just about 2011 or making an impact right away. Keeping Stafford upright for the next 10 years is why we would take a Left Tackle prospect right now and Schwartz and Mayhew know now more than ever its very important to have Stafford on the field. Plus with Gosders knee issue, a guy like Smith could play Right Tackle in 2011 then switch to left tackle. LT isn't a huge immediate need, but long term it is a need and the draft is about long term.

The Lions want versatile LBs and Carter was and could still be very athletic. They actually brought Carter in for a visit to check his knee and if his knee checks out he could very well be the pick but isn't the only option obviously in Round 2. He's the best LB on the board if his knee clears.

Iamcanadian
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
I agree Backus would still start in 2011 at LT over a rookie. But the draft isn't just about 2011 or making an impact right away. Keeping Stafford upright for the next 10 years is why we would take a Left Tackle prospect right now and Schwartz and Mayhew know now more than ever its very important to have Stafford on the field. Plus with Gosders knee issue, a guy like Smith could play Right Tackle in 2011 then switch to left tackle. LT isn't a huge immediate need, but long term it is a need and the draft is about long term.

The Lions want versatile LBs and Carter was and could still be very athletic. They actually brought Carter in for a visit to check his knee and if his knee checks out he could very well be the pick but isn't the only option obviously in Round 2. He's the best LB on the board if his knee clears.

I agree, Backus could be done after next year as I believe he will be a FA or he might just retire. At his age, injuries also become a more frequent enemy.
I don't know for sure if the Lions will stay at #13 if the value at LT isn't there, after all, Smith hasn't worked out as yet. So they could be in a solid position to trade down for an extra 3rd and pick up a LT prospect at his value pick.
I certainly wouldn't count the Lions out of drafting a LT with their round 1 pick, I give it about a 65% chance of actually happening.

hybridremix
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Corey Hilliard fairly well when called on last year and we have Tony Ugoh coming into training camp. Both are tremendous protection against Cherilus's knee. We draft Jason Fox explicitly to be the heir apparent to Backus. If some of the above comments come true [which I don't think they will] and Backus seriously tanks this season, we already have the kid who's supposed to replace him on the roster.

Why would we want to stack the position like that? It's totally true that having to cut a good player is a luxury most teams would have, but we're talking about the draft, where you don't get a do over. We solve zero problems by drafting a LT, really anywhere in the draft, especially this year with such a lackluster LT class. A LT of the future is not a need, because we already have Fox! We might as well take a QB, I mean we don't know if Stafford will be as good as he should and Hill's not getting any younger. Maybe we should take one just in case.

And even having said all that, if the absolute best player available is a LT then -- okay -- that's what you do. You're staring at your board and there's a LT sitting there who clearly fell to you, then by all means, trust your board and take him. But that's not the situation in Scott's mock, and it's not likely to be the real situation in April. He has three players going within five picks of #13 that are all better than Smith. Two of those players -- Jordan and Jones -- are even ahead of Smith on Scott's big board! So he actually reached for a player that doesn't even play a position of need for the Lions! Guys, c'mon, look at the big picture here! Taking Smith with those three guys on the board is a horrible, horrible, horrible -- horrible! -- pick for Detroit.

shylo3716
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Does anyone think it is possible for Tennessee to take Julio Jones with that pick to pair with Chris Johnson & Kenny Britt to become a threat.

CC.SD
03-23-2011, 05:29 PM

This might be because what the Lions need and want historically does not lead to a great draft? :D Sorry too easy. But seriously Stafford's shoulder needs protection and that means O-line. Who cares if the pick sits behind Backus for a year -- unless everything is blown up again, there needs to be a multi-year plan in place to support Stafford and Backus isn't part of that equation.

PossibleCabbage
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Does anyone think it is possible for Tennessee to take Julio Jones with that pick to pair with Chris Johnson & Kenny Britt to become a threat.

It's possible, but that trio isn't going to do much without a QB who is significantly better than Rusty Smith.

Splat
03-23-2011, 08:57 PM
This whole CBA crap has made me lose some of my passion for the draft. I normally would be counting down the days like it was Christmas but I just can't seemed to get pumped for it. I'm still going to watch but it's just not the same.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Corey Hilliard fairly well when called on last year and we have Tony Ugoh coming into training camp. Both are tremendous protection against Cherilus's knee. We draft Jason Fox explicitly to be the heir apparent to Backus. If some of the above comments come true [which I don't think they will] and Backus seriously tanks this season, we already have the kid who's supposed to replace him on the roster.

Corey Hilliard needs to be resigned first. He is a free agent. Tony Ugoh was a terrible LT in Indy. He's a shot in the dark. And you are overrating Fox. I think he was drafted to give Gosder competition after a mediocre 2009 season for Gosder and then Hilliard beat out Fox for 2nd on the depth chart. There is no future LT on this roster IMO. I'd rather trade down myself like Canadien suggested and then take the LT. I'm just saying its a very real possibility we take a future LT. It's not me that has my heart set on it and Mayhew will go BPA so it could be Jordan or even Julio Jones. They did tender Avril a 1st and 3rd tender and Julio Jones works as a 2nd WR moving Burleson to the slot but it's not just about impact in year 1.

Why would we want to stack the position like that? It's totally true that having to cut a good player is a luxury most teams would have, but we're talking about the draft, where you don't get a do over. We solve zero problems by drafting a LT, really anywhere in the draft, especially this year with such a lackluster LT class. A LT of the future is not a need, because we already have Fox! We might as well take a QB, I mean we don't know if Stafford will be as good as he should and Hill's not getting any younger. Maybe we should take one just in case.

Tackle is not stacked because of Fox and Hilliard who are unproven especially as a Left Tackle protecting our injury prones Qb blindside. Stafford is the future and has tons of talent unlike Fox and Hilliard and Hill is proven so QB is stacked but tackle is not.

And even having said all that, if the absolute best player available is a LT then -- okay -- that's what you do. You're staring at your board and there's a LT sitting there who clearly fell to you, then by all means, trust your board and take him. But that's not the situation in Scott's mock, and it's not likely to be the real situation in April. He has three players going within five picks of #13 that are all better than Smith. Two of those players -- Jordan and Jones -- are even ahead of Smith on Scott's big board! So he actually reached for a player that doesn't even play a position of need for the Lions! Guys, c'mon, look at the big picture here! Taking Smith with those three guys on the board is a horrible, horrible, horrible -- horrible! -- pick for Detroit.

I don't think Smith would be a reach at 13. Smith is at least close to the rankings of Jones and Cameron Jordan. Smith just happens to play the most important positon and future LT is still a need even with Fox and Ugoh.

JRTPlaya21
03-24-2011, 12:28 AM
It's safe to say if Green falls to the Redskins I'd pretty much cry tears of joy.

SuperMcGee
03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Scott, good work as always. I like the Bills draft although I would have went with Ballard in the 2nd instead of Sherrod. I can also see them pulling the trigger on Newton, but Miller is a nice player. Just some thoughts though.......

I'm assuming you don't follow the Bills all that close, because if you did you would realize that they are set at LT. Demetrius Bell was coming back from an injury at the beginning of the year and his play improved drastically towards the end of the season. If you look at o-line statistics he was very good. He has everything you look for in a LT, is getting stronger, and his technique gets better all the time. As for RT, its definitely a need, but the front office seems to be happy with giving Eric Pears a shot, although I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Marcus Gilbert or James Brewer in the 4th (if they are available) to compete at that spot.

Sounds to me like you're understating the need at tackle. Bell can come in as the starter again and it might not be the worst thing, but relying on 3rd day picks and the Erik Pears of the world is the same old Bills thinking that is not going to help out an offense that has a lot of promise. Obviously we have plenty of needs, but I wouldn't be comfortable with what we have at the spot.

K Train
03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
i think id prefer taking curtis brown in the second...even will aaron williams in the first. im not a big fan of brewer and i think brown might end up a better corner than williams anyway