PDA

View Full Version : Hines' Draft Talk

Hines
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
LATE ROUND CORNERS
-Although a lot of the starting value at corner drops off in the middle of round three, there are a few late round/UDFA’s that I do like. Some of my personal favorites are Darrin Walls from Notre Dame, Richard Sherman from Stanford, Byron Maxwell from Clemson, Korey Lindsey from Southern Illinois, Josh Thomas from Buffalo, and Cortez Allen from The Citadel. Walls is a biased pick due to him being from Pittsburgh, but I believe this physical corner with good ball skills will make a good nickel/dime corner who can play special teams. A top recruit out of Woodland Hills HS in Pittsburgh, PA, Walls didn’t live up to that potential the first couple years in South Bend. As a senior, Walls had his best season with 41 tackles and 3 interceptions. He’ll more than likely be a UDFA, but the talent is there. Richard Sherman has come out of nowhere to become a pretty solid corner prospect. Big(6’3 195), fast(4.50), and physical are the keys to Sherman’s game. Moved from WR to CB his junior year, he has great ball skills for the position. Raw in his technique and somewhat stiff hips, he has a lot of work to do in order to make an impact. His potential is high, though. Was invited to the Senior Bowl and impressed the coaches. Was a starter for the West team. I can see him being drafted as soon as the fourth round if a team likes him that much. Byron Maxwell is another big, strong, and physical cornerback. Surprised people with his 4.4 speed, I think he is moving up the draft boards. With his long arms and ability to tackle, I can see a team liking him as a potential FS prospect as well as zone corner. Not a great man corner and seems to be a little too aggressive at times, but the talent is there and I think he’s a 5th round prospect. Korey Lindsey is not the biggest corner, but he is physical and has great ball skills. A better man corner than zone, he is an intriguing small school project that teams will love to have. Needs to bulk up and improve his tackling, but the talent is there. Josh Thomas is the prototypical zone corner. He’s physical, has good speed, can really hit, has decent ball skills, and his character is top notch. Has a knack of creating turnovers with 5 FFs during his career. Cortez Allen is an intriguing small school prospect, similar to Lindsey. Unlike Lindsey, Allen is tall and has good build to his frame. He’s strong, plenty fast, and has good ball skills. Has gotten comparisons to DRC. A typical man corner that is inexperienced in the zone, but has shown signs of being productive in that area. A true sleeper at the position who might be jumping up draft boards and can start in this league.

DEVELOPMENTAL OFFENSIVE TACKLES[/B
]-I like quite a few developmental tackles in this draft. They are East Carolina’s Willie Smith, Stanford’s Derek Hall, and Virginia Union’s David Mims. Smith, 6’6 310, is a former tight end, so you know he is athletic. He contains a very good frame to add even more girth to his body. A versatile player who can also play the guard position as well. Although he hasn’t gotten much of a push in the run game, he is pretty solid in that area. He’s also a very solid pass blocker with quick feet and solid lateral movement. If his body fills out and he improves his raw technique and skills, he can be a future starter on the left side of the line. Derek Hall was a former defensive tackle who got moved to the OL. Is raw, but he has nice skills to get him drafted high. He can get to the second level, provides a nice push in the run game, finishes his blocks, plays with power, etc. What he does lack is experience and pass blocking. He can be beat by speed and is a waist bender. Leans and lunges and whiffs a lot in pass protection. He’s a RT only, who has potential to play inside as well. I like him quite a bit in a run blocking scheme. David Mims is massive of a man(6’8 335 pounds). He’s raw, but plays mean, is a good run blocker, and when locked on, you are not going anywhere. Needs quite a bit of coaching, but his stock is on the way up and can be an excellent player in a scheme like the Steelers or Cowboys. Needs work in his pass protection, kick slide and footwork. High potential type of player if he reaches that.

BEST WIDE RECIEVER YOU HAVEN’T HEARD OF
-Tandon Doss. He’s big, has great hands, runs very good routes, works the zones well, can return kicks, and is a big target. Not a blazer and may never be a number 1 WR in the NFL, but he has everything you would want in a wideout. I compare him to Keenan McCardell, but he may not have the type of career he had in the NFL. Doss will be excellent as a number 2 possession guy or as a slot WR.

BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT
-Patrick Peterson. Great size, speed, ball skills, coverage ability, etc. He has it all. If cornerbacks were to be picked number 1 overall, he would be my guy in this draft. I think a team can focus their game plan around him by lining him up at corner, safety, in the box, linebacker, etc. He’s that type of player who can play numerous positions for a team, while adding an elite punt returner to your club as well.

RANDOM NOTES
-Jaiquawn Jarrett is an underrated S in this draft. Although he lacks great speed, he can really hit you and had 9 career interceptions. Will probably be forced to be a in the box S who excels at special teams, he is a very good guy to have on your club because he’ll bring it every single play he is out there. Could surprise some and work his way to a starting role.

-If injuries get past him, DeMarco Murray may be the best running back in this class. At the very worst, he will become a hell of a third down back.

-I think Daniel Thomas is way overrated. No way I touch him in the first 4 rounds. Too tall and runs tall as well. He’s also slow. I don’t think he will be anything like Brandon Jacobs. He’s a sold receiver, though.

-Greg Little may be a diva and have some character concerns, but I believe he’s going to be a hell of a WR in the NFL. No one is going to want to tackle this guy all game long.

-Will Rackley could develop like Jahri Evans has.

-I do not think Allen Bailey will last in the NFL. He’s too much of a workout warrior for me. I would take a chance on him in the third, though.

-I really like Jabaal Sheard. He's very underrated. He did get arrested, so teams need to be cautious with him.

[B]BIG BOARD (TOP 10)
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Marcell Dareus
3. AJ Green
4. Da’Quan Bowers
5. Robert Quinn
6. Nick Fairley
7. Julio Jones
8. Von Miller
9. JJ Watt
10. Prince Amukamara

DiG
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
oh oh oh ive heard of tandon doss! actually have had him ranked in my top 10for quite some time now and currently have him 9th. also completely agree with your comments on demarco, daniel thomas, and greg little. im not sure why murray doesnt get much love around here. nice writeup.

Hines
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
oh oh oh ive heard of tandon doss! actually have had him ranked in my top 10for quite some time now and currently have him 9th. also completely agree with your comments on demarco, daniel thomas, and greg little. im not sure why murray doesnt get much love around here. nice writeup.

When I meant "you", I meant the general public that doesn't really follow the draft class. The one WR that noone is talking about, but will put up very solid numbers in the NFL.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Murray is a soft player, just lacks the toughness to be much at the next level.

Seven7
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Couldn't agree more about Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, and Greg Little. Sheard is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. His character concerns are nothing to me given he was apparently defending a friend, his coaches say he is a great guy, and he was awarded a bravery medal for saving a woman in high school. Hell, the fact he got in a fight defending a friend shoots him up the draft board in my mind.

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Agree about Demarco Murray, didn't realize he had a reputation for playing soft.
We'll see how that goes in the future.

Allen Bailey I'm afraid simply isn't a very good football player, despite his numbers. His raw athleticism should keep him around the league for a while, but too often he looked like a speed bump playing for the 'Canes, and not a real stopper on D.

Greg Little is on so many people's 'super sleeper' list; he looks like a future pro bowler.

Hope his head is on straight, he has all the tools to be a dominant #1.

Sherman from Stanford is one of my fave unheralded DBs. He'd be a monster at FS, but I still think he has the skills to play corner.

Mel Blount lite anyone!??lol

rawdawg
03-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Good stuff. I like Lindsey a lot, but that's probably biased (have family ties to SIU). He's a tough SOB. Has a LOT of experience in the FCS and has probably been the best FCS CB for the last 2 years. Also like Cortez Allen and Maxwell. Not a big fan of Sherman. He definitely looks the part, but he's way too raw. I like him better as a FS prospect.

Like all 3 OTs. Really like Smith a lot. I think he's a potential franchise LT.

Pretty much agree with everything else. Keenan McCardell is a tough comparison for Doss. McCardell is 14th all time in receptions, and he didn't even become a full-time starter until he was 26 years old. He had five 85 catch, 1100 yard seasons.

Hines
03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Good stuff. I like Lindsey a lot, but that's probably biased (have family ties to SIU). He's a tough SOB. Has a LOT of experience in the FCS and has probably been the best FCS CB for the last 2 years. Also like Cortez Allen and Maxwell. Not a big fan of Sherman. He definitely looks the part, but he's way too raw. I like him better as a FS prospect.

Like all 3 OTs. Really like Smith a lot. I think he's a potential franchise LT.

Pretty much agree with everything else. Keenan McCardell is a tough comparison for Doss. McCardell is 14th all time in receptions, and he didn't even become a full-time starter until he was 26 years old. He had five 85 catch, 1100 yard seasons.

I don't think Doss has a similar career as McCardell. I was saying that they have the same type of games. I do believe Doss can turn out some very nice seasons, though.