PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame WR Michael Floyed Arrested for D.U.I.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 04:03 PM
For those who missed it, Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd was arrested last night on / near campus for driving under the influence. This is at least his second legal incident with alcohol.

I just got off the phone with a source close to the Notre Dame football program and it sounds like Floyd has probably played his last game for the Fighting Irish. It will be interesting to see whether he enters the Supplemental Draft (If There Is One?), transfers down a level for his senior year, etc. Either way Floyd's draft stock is going to be negatively affected.

Here is the full article:

Updated: March 21, 2011
Irish's Michael Floyd faces DUI charge

Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Authorities say Notre Dame star wide receiver Michael Floyd had a blood-alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit for driving when he was pulled over by campus police this past weekend.

Floyd was stopped after he ran a stop sign with the white Cadillac he was driving and was charged with suspicion of drunken driving.

[+] EnlargeFLoyd
Gary A. Vasquez/US PresswireNotre Dame receiver Michael Floyd was arrested on campus Sunday, three days before the start of spring practice.

St. Joseph County deputy prosecutor Chris Daniels says in a probable cause affidavit filed Monday that Floyd had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent. Indiana's legal limit for driving is 0.08 percent. Daniels also says Floyd failed three field sobriety tests.

Floyd was stopped near the school's main entrance at 3:18 a.m. Sunday and charged with a misdemeanor count of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. It carries a maximum sentence of a year in jail.

University spokesman Dennis Brown said Notre Dame keeps its arrest records private, like other private universities. He said the school was aware of the charge against Floyd and was confident "local law enforcement agencies will handle it in a prompt, thorough and professional manner."

Notre Dame doesn't disclose any possible internal discipline, Brown said, and the school "takes these matters seriously, follows the facts where they lead, and, when necessary, institutes appropriate sanctions at the appropriate time."

The Associated Press sent an e-mail to Floyd seeking comment. A telephone message also was left with Brian Hardin, Notre Dame's director of football media relations, seeking comment from coach Brian Kelly.

The 21-year-old Floyd was Notre Dame's leading receiver last season. He holds the school record for touchdown catches (28) and ranks second in school history in catches (171) and third in receiving yards (2,539).

Floyd decided to return for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft, saying he wanted to earn a degree, return Notre Dame to the top of college football and become the nation's top receiver.

This is Floyd's second brush with the law involving alcohol. Floyd received a citation for underage drinking in Minneapolis on Jan. 8, 2010. Floyd and Minnesota's Shady Salamon, who were former Cretin-Derham Hall prep teammates in St. Paul, Minn., were cited after police were called to a fight involving six to 10 people.

A month later, Kelly said the team had decided how it would handle the incident, but said he couldn't say anything further because of privacy laws.

Spring practices start Wednesday. Floyd is scheduled to appear in court on May 2.

4U2NV
03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Ouch!!! Talk about a horrible decision. This guy was probably a top 5 WR this year with the chance to be in the Top 3 next season...not anymore.

CashmoneyDrew
03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
What's the highest compensatory pick that a team would be willing to spend on him?

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
If FLoyd enters the supplemental, will he still work out for scouts??

I bet he's not really in combine shape, not that I believe he would have run an outstanding 40 dash time.

I'll wait to see if he's officially dismissed from the football team and not suspended.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Happy to hear such terrible news!! Jay will GLADLY be your DD Mike!

ElectricEye
03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Patriots supplemental in the second if the character checks out would be awesome.

thenewfeature06
03-21-2011, 04:38 PM
This is wackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I love Michael, still a 2nd or 3rd at least right?

dannyz
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
What is going on with Mark Barron? Is his case as bad as Floyd's? If there is a Supplemental Draft does anyone take him? I would guess so.

Flyboy
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Should have came out this year IMO...

BeerBaron
03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I doubt that there's going to be a Supplemental draft unfortunately. Teams would have to give up picks for the 2012 draft and if the Players Association wins their case and the league gets hit with Anti-Trust violations, we may never again have a draft.

Terrifying thought, I know. But to rule it out would be unbelievably naive. The league has already said that teams who trade 2012 draft picks will be doing so at their own risk: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/teams-may-trade-future-draft-picks-at-their-own-risk/

ElectricEye
03-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm sort of in the "cover my eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening" thing with the lockout. If you just assume the best, it'll turn out alright right? I know...

It is an interesting problem for Floyd. If there isn't a supplemental draft, he should probably transfer down a level in order to keep in shape and such. The real interesting question is if he's free to sign with a team after the CBA stuff gets straightened out.

BeerBaron
03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm sort of in the "cover my eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening" thing with the lockout. If you just assume the best, it'll turn out alright right? I know...

It is an interesting problem for Floyd. If there isn't a supplemental draft, he should probably transfer down a level in order to keep in shape and such. The real interesting question is if he's free to sign with a team after the CBA stuff gets straightened out.

I do just the opposite. I envision the worst case scenario and brace myself for it...that way, if it does happen, I'm ready. And if not, then I get to feel relieved.

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
If Floyd went the Supplemental Draft route (assuming there even is one) he'd go no earlier than Round 3 and maybe as late as Round 5. If he is indeed done at Notre Dame, I'd advise Floyd to transfer down to a Division I-AA or Division II program, dominate for a year and rehab his draft stock. Of course he could always redshirt and try to play at Notre Dame again in 2012, but that's highly unlikely as he has his eyes set on the NFL and would've definitely gone pro this year if he had gotten better feedback from the leagues underclassmen advisory panel.

Hines
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
He and Barron should have come out.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Floyd was stopped near the school's main entrance at 3:18 a.m. Sunday and charged with a misdemeanor count of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. It carries a maximum sentence of a year in jail.

So damn close...

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
So damn close...

Ha, no kidding. Probably less than a couple of blocks from the front door of his place.

niel89
03-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Good point. This could be a really interesting case. Very unique.

Halsey
03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't see what excites people so much about him. Injury history, character questions, alcohol problems. No thanks. He should go back to school, stop drinking and prove that he really wants to be a pro football player.

thebow305
03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I'd be just fine with the Phins using a 2nd round supplemental pick on him. Beast on the field, obviously quite the opposite off it though. Idiot.

Hines
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Floyd suspended indefinetly.

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM

In college coachspeak, that roughly translates as, 'Mike your locker number will be issued during spring football.'

BaLLiN
03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
San Diego? They dont need the VJax headache anymore, taking a chance on Floyd might be enough to let him go even though he is an incredible mismatch

ElectricEye
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM

The fact that he isn't "no longer with the team" leaves the possibility of a return open.

descendency
03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
When was the last time an alcoholic, injury riddle, dumb WR was worth drafting?

ElectricEye
03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
When was the last time an alcoholic, injury riddle, dumb WR was worth drafting?

Vincent Jackson.

BeerBaron
03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Vincent Jackson.

I see you and raise you a Brandon Marshall. McDonald's bag anyone?

Scott Wright
03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
In college coachspeak, that roughly translates as, 'Mike your locker number will be issued during spring football.'

Not at Notre Dame it doesn't.

At most programs Floyd would be running steps for a few weeks. The Irish are different.

Just ask guys like Rashon Powers-Neal and Will Yeatman.

etk
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
If he was at UF he'd be suspended for the FAU and UAB games. Also no one would remember 2 weeks later because there would be another Gator stealing the limelight and getting arrested.

descendency
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
If he was at UF he'd be suspended for the FAU and UAB games. Also no one would remember 2 weeks later because there would be another Gator stealing the limelight and getting arrested.

humorous (adjective): Miami fan talking smack about Florida players in regards to arrest records

GoRavens
03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
With another solid season under his belt, I'm not sure this'll knock him out of the first round next yurr

dannyz
03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't think he can play for ND this year.

Giantsfan1080
03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
I thought a ND football player raped a girl and they let him play all year?

etk
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
humorous (adjective): Miami fan talking smack about Florida players in regards to arrest records

Irony: 1st Miami football player arrested in like 4 years, and it was yesterday after I made my post.

wicket
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought a ND football player raped a girl and they let him play all year?

there was literally no proof of rape and the accusor was a girl with psychological troubles who suddenly went with it about 5 months after the incident. Cant say it didnt happen but there really wasnt any proof or anything, just the chicago tribune and one of the ND haters there trying to push a story

JLaw45
03-24-2011, 11:10 PM

Here we go again...

metafour
03-24-2011, 11:19 PM

Miami actually cleaned up incredibly under Randy Shannon. These past few seasons they have had extremely little off-field drama.

djp
03-25-2011, 12:17 AM

Use your brain, please.

dannyz
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1209755 He's Back to Notre Dame. Multiple sources told Irish Illustrated on Friday that Floyd's punishment handed down by the Office of Residence Life did not include a suspension of any games but will include community service. Floyd's initial hearing with ResLife was last week, followed by today's deliberations.

metafour
04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Not at Notre Dame it doesn't.

At most programs Floyd would be running steps for a few weeks. The Irish are different.

LMAO. Did you forget who their HC is?

iowatreat54
04-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Can someone please correct the thread title?

Scott Wright
04-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Obviously Brian Kelly has more pull at ND than Willingham and Weis did... :o)

I'm happy for Floyd, a mistake like that shouldn't threaten his future and career.

Flyboy
04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
No, but at the same time you should never put yourself in such a position where an action could threaten your career / future.