PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson's Best Move as Packers GM

J-Mike88
03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I just posted this poll in the PackerForum today and it's gotten 25 answers among 6 possible votes, and it's all the votes going to 3 choices.

So I am narrowing it down to those 3 choices for this vote here. There are a few of you guys (when present) who I'd like to hear your reasoning for your choice here.

Here are some good cases made for each of the 3.
I voted for Woodson. There is no way to quantify what he brings to the defense. He is the defining piece of the defense, the face of the defense, and the leader of the defense. The move to get him in green and gold is made even better if you remember the perception that Chuck was seen as completely washed up and broken down and that Ted was the only GM in the league to even make him an offer. And Ted doesn't just go out and sign any ol' big name guy either. The move to take Woodson was as calculated as any of the other moves, and far riskier, in my opinion.
There is a plethora of genius moves by T.T. but the one I'm going with is trading up with the Patriots to get Clay in '09. That single move showcased T.T.s almost uncanny and intuitive ability to assess a player and know a champion in the making when he sees one. That move helped to elevate our defense to championship caliber and it set us up on defense to be in contention for a decade, very much mirroring drafting Aaron on offense. I am of the school where I think consistency in defense wins championships, therefore, although a hard call to make of all those choices (Aaron was a very close 2nd), I'd go with this move.
You can say Rodgers was a no-brainer but he certainly wasn't a no-brainer for 23 other teams. Drafting Rodgers is, by far, Thompson's best move.

Mr.Regular
03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I went with ARod out of these 3.

The other moves are awesome, but when it comes down to it, ARod is the centerpiece of the team. The Woodson signing and trading for Matthews seemed questionable at the time, but both turned out to be incredibly good moves. BUT, getting a franchise QB is the most important thing to do in developing a team, and he got one with his first ever pick. Plus he did it with Favre still on the roster....speaking of old man creeper. I'd say kicking his ass to the curb was the best move overall.

Sportsfan486
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Definitely Rodgers. We drafted him while all of us still thought Favre had a year, probably two, left. We had made the playoffs a year earlier but were lacking in offensive playmakers. Also considering how Diva-esque Favre was it was a gutsy as piss move to draft a QB in the first with him still around. Any time you hit on a franchise QB (especially an unquestionable top-4 in the league after 2 years starting QB) that's your best move for the next decade.

Woodson next as it really went against Thompson's M.O.

I think Matthews was a move of necessity from the switch to a 3-4. And let's not forget, a lot of "draft gurus" had Matthews as the best prospect of those three Trojan Linebackers.. so when the trade up was available TT had to take it. I think if that draft had happened our 2nd year of the 3-4 he would not have made the trade; but there were a lot of questionable fits, especially in that 'backer group.

J-Mike88
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
You gotta admit, you were shocked-as-hell during that 2009 Draft when the Patriot Logo disappeared and our G popped up.

That was a brilliant move.

And when that G logo popped up, nobody was expecting Clay Matthews to be the pick.

Totally out of character for Ted, and I love how, for the 2nd team, he just used & abused genius Belichick.
He banged them in this trade because Matthews is what they need, are missing.
And he banged them bad in 2006 when they traded up with us to take the WR Chad Jackson, and then Ted reaped the benefits of Greg Jennings later.

That's another thing the Patriots are missing by the way, a legit deep threat who's still early in his prime.

bigboiajhawk
03-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Voted for Rodgers, we would not be nearly the team we are right now and looking into the future if it were not for ARod. I would then go C-Wood as he has inspired our defense and has helped guys like Shields and Williams. Finally, I would go with Matthews. Great move, has been the pulse of our defense so to speak, excited that he is a Packer.

Sportsfan486
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
You gotta admit, you were shocked-as-hell during that 2009 Draft when the Patriot Logo disappeared and our G popped up.

That was a brilliant move.

And when that G logo popped up, nobody was expecting Clay Matthews to be the pick.

Totally out of character for Ted, and I love how, for the 2nd team, he just used & abused genius Belichick.
He banged them in this trade because Matthews is what they need, are missing.
And he banged them bad in 2006 when they traded up with us to take the WR Chad Jackson, and then Ted reaped the benefits of Greg Jennings later.

That's another thing the Patriots are missing by the way, a legit deep threat who's still early in his prime.

They're all brilliant moves, no one can dispute that. But if I have to rank them I'll take drafting a potential HoF QB (who had fallen for some unknown reason) when we already have a HoF QB starting first, signing a huge question mark and character concern free agent who has not only locked himself into the HoF since moving here but been a beacon of a team and community leader second, and making a semi-bold draft move (where we overpaid to move up) for a prospect that was falling past a lot of projections.

The Matthews trade was only on this list because of how out of character it was for TT. We all knew we needed a pass-rushing OLB from high in the draft. I don't think many of us felt like Kampman would be that guy.

cvv84
03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Its definetly Rodgers and if you ask me it should be a landslide. Without him we wouldn't be the reigning Superbowl champions, let alone half of what we are as a team today.

Woodson was a stellar pickup but lets not forget that his options were extremely limited. Most teams thought that he was done and his injury past was another huge knock against him. It was down to either signing with us or the Bucs and the Bucs wanted him to play safety. Woodson was also just 1 of Thompsons great pickups that year. We also signed Ryan Pickett and picked up Tramom Williams.

Trading up for Matthews was definetly a shock but considering that we were transitoning to the 3-4 it made perfect sense. He and Raji are 2 huge reason for the early success of our defensive resurgence though we could've made due if we didn't have them.

Its a QB driven league and all the playoff teams had above average QBs under center leading the charge.

J-Mike88
03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow very different results here compared to the Packerforum where it was much closer.....

The Rodgers move was obviously the most important. But it was landed in Teddy's lap. Yes he took it, which took some ballz certainly. And patience.

But it was not a brilliant move, no matter how good Rodgers is.

Going up and getting a pick in round 1, is not easy.
And taking Clay Matthews there, which shocked every one of us, was brilliant. I bet he's prouder of that move than all others.

KCJ58
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
drafting Justin Harrell in the 1st round in 2007

J-Mike88
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Good call..... amazing this defense is still great and we won the Super Bowl with that gigantic flop. Shows how good a lot of other moves were.

Harrell, if he could have stayed healthy, could have been another Cullen Jenkins.

bigboiajhawk
03-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Haha, waste of a post, is this supposed to be a dig on Teddy? I believe we got James Jones, Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby, and Brandon Jackson all in that draft, all major contributors on our Superbowl winning team!!!

Go root for Oakland, SF, or SD, they need TT's help!!!

J-Mike88
04-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I still think Ted has to be most proud of the aggressive, out-of-character, and difficult-to-accomplish feat of trading up, into round one..... which is fantastic in & of itself, but then selecting Clay Matthews with the pick. It was a stunner.

And now look. Matthews was the NFL's best defensive player this year, and he could have a long career for us.

BRILLIANT and hard.

Taking Rodgers was great too, but that was a gift handed to him.

PackerLegend
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Even if he kind of just fell in our lap it has to be taking Rodgers. Not only that he stuck by him, dumped Favre and stuck it to all the doubters. It was more then just taking Rodgers it was dumping Favre when nobody else would have the balls to do it because it was Lord Favre.

J-Mike88
04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Even if he kind of just fell in our lap it has to be taking Rodgers. Not only that he stuck by him, dumped Favre and stuck it to all the doubters. It was more then just taking Rodgers it was dumping Favre when nobody else would have the balls to do it because it was Lord Favre.
Right, I love all that part.... the drama played out in our favor.
But the draft pick was nothing brilliant.... just like the Dolphins getting Marino as the 6th QB of his class. That was as much luck as it was brilliant. If they knew Marino would become that great, they would have traded up and made sure they got him. Same with us.

Comparing them just as draft picks, Ted did so well getting us Matthews, on top of Raji, that draft. And it provided instant upgrade whereas Rodgers took 4 years to help the net-result.

SuperPacker
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
It cant be ARod that was just TT sticking to BPA. If anyone should get the credit for that pick it should be Ron Wolf because he taught the stratagy.

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
It cant be ARod that was just TT sticking to BPA. If anyone should get the credit for that pick it should be Ron Wolf because he taught the stratagy.
That's partly why I think the Matthews move is the clear winner and totally BRILLIANT!

Many reasons why:
-Many thought that was too high for Matthews... remember he wasn't THE man at USC there.....
-Ted never trades UP
-Ted paid a STEEP price to trade up

Rodgers fell into his lap.
Sure, so did Randy Moss to Wolf in 1998, and he choked it out (later admitted he regretted it big time and blamed himself for "listening to the off-field stuff").

A great pick still, but what he did to get us Matthews was totally brilliant and hard to pull off.

BloodBrother
08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, getting Rodgers is clearly the best decision as finding a franchise QB is hard to do. You don't go anywhere without a good QB and he nailed it with his first pick. With that said, it wasn't really a move as he didn't really do anything(didn't trade up, etc) he just stuck to his draft board and made his pick

as far as best MOVE goes, I would say Woodson. This move is basically on par as the Reggie White signing. It meant a lot to the team. He has helped groom/develop the other CB's on this team and has taken on a leadership role in the locker room. He is highly respected by his team mates. Not only has he brought elite play on the field, but he's brought those "intangibles" off the field. Can't stress enough how much of a slam dunk this signing was

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree on Woodson, and I remember that free agent period CLEARLY.
There were 2 top guys left, Lavar Arrington and Woodson. Both were represented by the slimy Poston Brothers.

I saw some hilarious cartoon-video skit of them all, with the sleezeball agent trying to sell his 2 constantly-injured, old washed-up clients. It was hilarious, and remember, Woodson was hurt all the time in Oakland.

NOBODY else wanted him. Tampa Bay at the end would take him, but they wanted him only to play safety.

It's not like Ted outbid or sold the franchise to Charles. He admitted he did not want to come to Green Bay but it was his only option to play corner anymore.

Plus Ted made a GIGANTIC offer to Arrington FIRST! He wanted Lavar more than Charles.
Thank God, Lavar had a 2nd option, and was only using us, as Charles would have done too. Arrington then signed with the Redskins (IIRC), and then blew out his knee right away, career over.

It was a lot of LUCK that Woodson ended up a Packer, same with Rodgers free-falling to Ted's lap. He didn't wheel & deal to trade up and get him, as he did Matthews.

The Matthews maneuver was PURE GENIUS. Brillant!

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Check out the new sig in my link.... the Pats fans are hammering me for it!
It's classic...... wish I could add a Jennings thanks too, LOL.

tjsunstein
08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
1. Franchise QB is always number one. We've seen how teams can be dragged down without one across the league.

2. If we're talking just Clay Matthews and not the combination of him and Raji then I'll rank Woodson's contributions over Clay's for now.

3. CM3.

PackerLegend
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
1. Franchise QB is always number one. We've seen how teams can be dragged down without one across the league.

Thats how I voted but some people didnt just because Rodgers kind of fell in his lap. It was more then just falling in his lap. Its not like Thompson had to take Rodgers. We still had Favre and it was assumed he was playing a couple more seasons. The Rodgers pick was what caused the whole offseason circus. Thompson did what many others never would. He rid us of this clown. He was willing to take the abuse for trading away a guy who was insanly loved by everyone. He basically did the unthinkable, unimaginable thing. All of this has to be included in the Rodgers move. Many things went into how he ended up as our QB. Its by far the best move that could have happened. Without Rodgers we didnt just win the superbowl. The Woodson and Matthews moves are insanly great ones as well. One great move doesnt really make a team. Its a bunch collectively that do. Thompson has made many that have set this team up to win SB after SB.

senormysterioso
08-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I agree on Woodson, and I remember that free agent period CLEARLY.
There were 2 top guys left, Lavar Arrington and Woodson. Both were represented by the slimy Poston Brothers.

I saw some hilarious cartoon-video skit of them all, with the sleezeball agent trying to sell his 2 constantly-injured, old washed-up clients. It was hilarious, and remember, Woodson was hurt all the time in Oakland.

NOBODY else wanted him. Tampa Bay at the end would take him, but they wanted him only to play safety.

It's not like Ted outbid or sold the franchise to Charles. He admitted he did not want to come to Green Bay but it was his only option to play corner anymore.

Plus Ted made a GIGANTIC offer to Arrington FIRST! He wanted Lavar more than Charles.
Thank God, Lavar had a 2nd option, and was only using us, as Charles would have done too. Arrington then signed with the Redskins (IIRC), and then blew out his knee right away, career over.

It was a lot of LUCK that Woodson ended up a Packer, same with Rodgers free-falling to Ted's lap. He didn't wheel & deal to trade up and get him, as he did Matthews.

The Matthews maneuver was PURE GENIUS. Brillant!

Lavar signed with the Giants, had a knee or an ankle problem that knocked him out in the middle of the season and was released at the end of the season never to be heard from again.

jackalope
08-18-2011, 08:43 PM
If you draft a franchise quarterback with the number one pick, that's a great move. If you draft a future hall of fame quarterback with the 24th pick, that's ******* unbelievable.