PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Invited Gabbert and Newton for Visits

Iamcanadian
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Denver has invited Gabbert and Newton to workout.

Misdirection or Reality

Trying to get some trade offers for their pick or realizing they may never win again until they find a true franchise QB.

Halsey
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe Elway and company just don't believe in Orton or Tebow as the long term answer. I find it hard to blieve they'll actually take a QB, however. Tebow is so popular among fans, Orton isn't terrible, and Drafting another QB would b unpopular. Then again maybe Elway knows he can get away with making an unpopular move. He's Elway. My guess is they just decide to give Tebow annd Orton one more year and see what happens, but who knows. It wold be quite ballsy for them to take a QB this year.

49erNation85
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
They are freaking crazy if they think Tebow can't win!Tebow will come around they are just trying to get media buzz or trade points I think.Their defense could use more players possible Peterson or Miller.You just can't give up on Tebow after 4 games where he played GREAT for a spread rookie QB IMO.

Babylon
03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
They are freaking crazy if they think Tebow can't win!Tebow will come around they are just trying to get media buzz or trade points I think.Their defense could use more players possible Peterson or Miller.You just can't give up on Tebow after 4 games where he played GREAT for a spread rookie QB IMO.

njx9 says it's a smokescreen and he's probably right. They have to see what Tim Tebow can do and it isnt like they are faced with the chance to grab the next, shall i say John Elway, in this draft. Seems like a lot of frequent flier miles for a smokescreen but that's probably all it is.

Pat Sims 90
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Just a smokescreen to try and get one of the teams that want 1 of the QBs to trade up with Denver.

jnew76
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I think it is a case of due diligence by a new coaching staff and personnel department. They have to evaluate what they have on their own team in comparison to what is available. As a general rule, a new regime likes to put their stamp on the team. Often that includes bringing in a new QB. The fact that Tebow and Orton were not drafted or signed by the current regime makes it easier to cut ties with them.

49erNation85
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
jnew76 ,
I could see them cutting Orton or trading him to some one,but Tebow really?He still got Pot growing to do on him by far more then any on that team.He will be starter either this year if not next year for sure!

gpngc
03-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I too think they are just trying to get media buzz or trade points.

DenverFan1974
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
They've invited more than Gabbert and Newton . . . Kaepernick has been invited and I think Locker, Ponder and Dalton have as well (not confirmed on those three).

Either:

1) They want to erase anything that the former coach (won't use his name) did and put the new management/coaching staff's stamp on the team; or . . .

2) It is an elaborate ruse; or . . .

3) They are going to deal Orton or Tebow and plan to start over at the position.

jnew76
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
jnew76 ,
I could see them cutting Orton or trading him to some one,but Tebow really?He still got Pot growing to do on him by far more then any on that team.He will be starter either this year if not next year for sure!

What I always said about Tebow prior to the draft was that I would not be the guy who drafted him, but I would never bet against him either. He will out work and out desire 99% of players in the NFL. After seeing his progression last year, I am a fan and a believer. I don't see any way they outright cut Tebow, but I see a scenario where they bring in another QB. They are gonna sell too many #15 jerseys to cut him. I will also say this... Newton or Gabbert would have a hard time beating out Tim Tebow for the starting position. Until Tebow wins a superbowl, Tebow is gonna always be the guy a GM thinks he can replace easier than he actually can.

49erNation85
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
1) I don't see them dealing Tebow too much money involved and they wouldn't stupid to do so.Hes got great Potential to give as I said after 4 games where he plaid great for his situation.I really think they are just moving on with Orton they could get a good 3rd round or even a 2nd for him in a team that needs a QB.I would mind him in SF for a 3rd.

Mr.Regular
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
It seems like a lock at this point that Carolina is taking a QB. So only 1 of the 2 "top tier" guys will be left for the taking for all these QB hungry teams...Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota... so making #2 seem like the only way to guarantee your guy is a smart move by Denver. I can't see them actually considering picking another QB in the first round, especially after Tebow did show some promise.

the natural
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
It seems like a lock at this point that Carolina is taking a QB. So only 1 of the 2 "top tier" guys will be left for the taking for all these QB hungry teams...Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota... so making #2 seem like the only way to guarantee your guy is a smart move by Denver. I can't see them actually considering picking another QB in the first round, especially after Tebow did show some promise.

LOL, Regular, how is it any different whether Denver interviews the QBs or not? If there are two top prospects at the position and they have the second pick with Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona right behind them the demand for their pick is going to be the same if they only interviewed long snappers for the next couple of months.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
LOL, Regular, how is it any different whether Denver interviews the QBs or not? If there are two top prospects at the position and they have the second pick with Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona right behind them the demand for their pick is going to be the same if they only interviewed long snappers for the next couple of months.

The point is to make other teams actually believe Denver will draft a QB, it's not about having the 2nd pick overall.

Elway wants a ton of picks and if some dummy GM is willing to 'Jimmy Johnson' him for the second pick, the Broncos win.

the natural
03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
The point is to make other teams actually believe Denver will draft a QB, it's not about having the 2nd pick overall.

Elway wants a ton of picks and if some dummy GM is willing to 'Jimmy Johnson' him for the second pick, the Broncos win.

Stay away from the Wonderlic, fun. It makes absolutely no difference who Denver interviews, or who anyone thinks they might draft. The demand for the pick will be EXACTLY THE SAME. They are at #2. One QB may be gone. Buffalo is behind them. Then Cincinnati, then Arizona. THREE teams in the QB market, with one or at most two QBs available. Obviously, all of them, from Buffalo on down have to compete for the Denver pick to guarantee getting one of the top two QBs.

Diehard
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I think it is a case of due diligence by a new coaching staff and personnel department. They have to evaluate what they have on their own team in comparison to what is available. As a general rule, a new regime likes to put their stamp on the team. Often that includes bringing in a new QB. The fact that Tebow and Orton were not drafted or signed by the current regime makes it easier to cut ties with them.

Very well said. If these actions also generate additional interest in the #2 pick, well, that's a nice bonus.

Master Exploder
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM
They obviously aren't excited about Tim Tebow. I think it's a shame that they haven't already committed to him, given that he has tremendous potential and he played pretty well last season. But then again, leave it to Denver to piss off all of their decent players.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Stay away from the Wonderlic, fun. It makes absolutely no difference who Denver interviews, or who anyone thinks they might draft. The demand for the pick will be EXACTLY THE SAME. They are at #2. One QB may be gone. Buffalo is behind them. Then Cincinnati, then Arizona. THREE teams in the QB market, with one or at most two QBs available. Obviously, all of them, from Buffalo on down have to compete for the Denver pick to guarantee getting one of the top two QBs.

IF Elway telegraphed to the entire NFL that he had hard-on for Fairley/Dareus/Miller, the urgency for other teams to trade up goes down dramatically and lowers the urgency to make a deal.

People can speculate, but no one really knows which direction the Broncos may go at 2.
Even if no one's buying, you still sell the possibility that you might take a QB 2nd overall.

It happens every year, teams will trade up to snag a player that another team had no intention of drafting.

BTW

Scott Wright
03-23-2011, 12:00 AM
"Denver has invited both Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton for visits"

Translation: Hi, I'm John Elway of the Denver Broncos. We have the #2 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft and would like to trade down. Do you want a quarterback? Better make us an offer.

Mr.Regular
03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Denver knows that demand for that second QB is going to be very high since there is a large number of teams picking in the top 10 range that need a QB. So if other teams believe there's a possibility of both players going in the top 2, then Denver becomes the only realistic trading partner (since Carolina seems locked into a QB in some form).

SRK85
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Looks like trade bait I wonder if SF or MIN trades up to get Gabbert.

Wrathman
03-23-2011, 12:51 AM
I think they are looking for due diligence, but they could fall in love with a quarterback in theory. If they did and planned to move forward with someone else at that position, I believe they would not draft that player without having a deal in place to move Tebow which should gain them either a pick or picks in a deep draft.

That said, I do think it's more likely that Denver is looking to entice someone to overpay to move up. If they can't get that deal, there is plenty of talent available to help them out on defense at No. 2.

To me, those are the three options that come into play here and Denver probably feels that it can't lose in any of these scenarios...especially if there is a rookie salary cap. I think they are smart to keep all options open at this point.

derza222
03-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't get why a particular team feigning interest in a player (or position) supposedly gets other teams interested in trading up to that spot to take that player (or a player at that position)? Purely hypothetically, let's say the Panthers take Cam Newton. The Bengals have their eye on Blaine Gabbert. Denver's on the clock. If I'm Cincinnati, I call Denver, and they're receptive to my offer to take the pick off their hands to any extent whatsoever, I can't imagine they have any interest in actually taking and holding onto Gabbert. They'd have no interest in trading down if they really liked him...so if they do get a team interested in trading up and try to work out parameters of a deal, they basically immediately tell that team "We're not going to take Gabbert."

I could see trying to get teams into a bidding war, or trying to get teams to leapfrog ahead of you to take a player/position you're not interested in (which, maybe they're doing if they think Carolina's receptive to trade down offers), but I don't see why Denver indicating they want a quarterback makes teams want to trade up to their spot. Makes the least sense at the quarterback position, too. That's the one spot where I really want to be a big fan of a guy if I'm going to take him. Of course this assumes Denver won't take a player they have lukewarm interest in, but I really don't see the point of that. And yet everyone says it, so there must be a reason for it. Someone explain?

Saints-Tigers
03-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Might just be covering their bases. No reason not to work out any top prospect, you might see something special.

Timbathia
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Broncos have a total of 6 picks in this draft, with two of them in the 6th round. New coach, who want/needs to upgrade the defense on every level, and probably wouldnt mind throwing in a new OT, a RB and maybe a TE at some stage as well. Add to the fact that one of the defensive players we are seriously looking at will definitely be there 3 or 4 or 5 picks later.....

Yeah, I would call it a play to get someone to move up.

Babylon
03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Broncos have a total of 6 picks in this draft, with two of them in the 6th round. New coach, who want/needs to upgrade the defense on every level, and probably wouldnt mind throwing in a new OT, a RB and maybe a TE at some stage as well. Add to the fact that one of the defensive players we are seriously looking at will definitely be there 3 or 4 or 5 picks later.....

Yeah, I would call it a play to get someone to move up.

Denver can move that pick if they want but i doubt if it will be to take a QB, rather someone like Patrick Peterson. If Gabbert and Newton go 1-2 then the people that run these teams are stupider than i think they are.

descendency
03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Come on guys. Tebow for Madden cover. If Tebow makes the madden cover and the Broncos draft Gabbert, I will laugh so hard for so long I probably will die.

Timbathia
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Come on guys. Tebow for Madden cover. If Tebow makes the madden cover and the Broncos draft Gabbert, I will laugh so hard for so long I probably will die.

No way Gabbert can truck defenders in Madden like Tebow can.

Roddoliver
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Between Newton and Gabbert, I rather have Tebow.

The Broncos will probably be able to make a desperate team (Arizona?) trade up to grab one of the QBs.

FUNBUNCHER
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I still believe you can win a lot of football games with Tebow, even in the NFL.

He's in that David Gerrard/Steve McNair mold, except IMO a tad better.

49erNation85
03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Once Tebow learns the new system ( sadly again ) he will do fine.I still dunno why let McDaniel go tho really.I know he lost the last half of last season. I wanna see Tebow and Bradford face off in the super bowl!

descendency
03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Once Tebow learns the new system ( sadly again ) he will do fine.I still dunno why let McDaniel go tho really.I know he lost the last half of last season. I wanna see Tebow and Bradford face off in the super bowl!

McDaniels finished 5-17 in his last 22 games. That was a team that had average expectations and he lead them to an 8-8 (where he finished 2-8) and then to 3-9 record. I don't care who you are (outside of a few very elite coaches), you will get fired doing that.

Diehard
03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Once Tebow learns the new system ( sadly again ) he will do fine.

Tebow doesn't have to learn a new system. Both McD's spread attack and Carolina's Fox-era offense were based on the Erhardt-Perkins system. That's partly why McCoy got the OC job in Denver in the first place.