PDA

View Full Version : Is Akeem Ayers good

jetsfan0099
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Some say hes overrated, some think hes good. Would he be a good 3-4 OLB?? Could he be a 10+ sack guy or is he more of a all around guy? The Jets need some more athletic OLBs that can rush the passer and be faster, would he be a good fit at pick 30?

descendency
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
He seems more like a Tampa 2 Linebacker. He gets tagged as a 34 OLB because he has a good first step and played DE in sub packages, but likely lacks a natural set of pass rush moves.

I just don't get the love for him. He seems like a jack of all trades with over-rated athleticism, poor instincts, and no real position on most teams.

edit: I wouldn't touch him in the first 2 rounds if I am not a tampa 2 team.

toonsterwu
03-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Wait, where are you putting him in the Tampa 2? I'm not sold he has the ability to be a Shelton Quarles-esque type player at the MIKE spot, and I wouldn't buy him as a weakside backer in that scheme, at least, not an elite guy at either spot.

Depending on the 3-4 scheme, I'm not so sure that his ideal spot isn't as a 3-4 inside backer that can press the line and move laterally and cover the short areas.

SRK85
03-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Ask again in 3 years and you will get a better answer.

Master Exploder
03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm not really getting the Tampa 2 talk that I keep hearing. From what I've seen of him that would possibly be his worst fit in the NFL, but I could be wrong.

I think the hype that has swarmed around him is based on his versatility. Ideally, he could fit into a base 4-3 defense as an SLB or possibly even an MLB in some schemes. However, I think his best fit is a 3-4 OLB, but he could also play inside in a 3-4 scheme also.

I realize he hasn't shown any extensive pass rushing moves or anything like that, but he is most comfortable rushing the passer. I think a 2nd-3rd round grade for him as a 3-4 OLB is more appropriate than the 1st round talk that I have been seeing ever since the season ended, but there is a good chance that a 4-3 or a 3-4 team will go after him earlier than that.

asdf1223
03-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Could he be a fit for the Giants in the middle? He fits their profile athletically.

wicket
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Okay i have a serious issue here, when he first got first round considerations it was on the back of his supposed athletisism which would let him blow up the combine, well the opposite happened. So the issue im having is he has mid/late round film combined with late round measurables who imo only gets considerations because he looks really fluent not making any tackles with pads on

cajuncorey
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
looks a lot like cato june. not saying much but will fit a tampa 2 system. but maybe more like karlos dansby. he can play all 3 LB spots okay.