PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Gabbert Hype

Rjspartan
03-24-2011, 09:30 PM
can someone please tell me why teams and scouts like him even at the slightest bit. Every time i watched him play he didn't seem like anything special.

49erNation85
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
It is all mostly because of his mobility,size and height for most of the BS lame reasons IMO he shouldn't even be a 2nd rounder.The NFL N says he got above average but I don't see it.Why would he have only like 16 TD in a spread offense?Its pretty lame how they rank them.It should really go like this Locker,Mallet,Ponder THEN Newton and Gabbert.If the scouts were dam serious.But they don't all think like what we do and go off body build and arm strength.Not game tape.I also have admit that if is just as worse as Locker for as yardage go or even percentage goes too then why is he a second rounder?THE DUDE is a spread QB.He is NO Bradford and not even close.

the natural
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Go back and read the threads.

ericzedwards
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Because Newton is coming out of a one-read or run offense and has possible maturity/character issues, Locker has the well documented accuracy issues and relative inexperience being a true quarterback, Mallett is a moron and alleged drug-lover, Ponder is fragile and somewhat weak-armed, and Kaepernick is still more of an athlete than quarterback at this point.

In a class where ALL of the top quarterbacks have serious question marks and concerns, Gabbert is the cream rising to the top. His comparative lack of production is less worrisome than everyone else's issues given that he's at least displayed the complete package of prototype size/arm strength as well as good accuracy and toughness.

Complex
03-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Because Newton is coming out of a one-read or run offense and has possible maturity/character issues, Locker has the well documented accuracy issues and relative inexperience being a true quarterback, Mallett is a moron and alleged drug-lover, Ponder is fragile and somewhat weak-armed, and Kaepernick is still more of an athlete than quarterback at this point.

In a class where ALL of the top quarterbacks have serious question marks and concerns, Gabbert is the cream rising to the top. His comparative lack of production is less worrisome than everyone else's issues given that he's at least displayed the complete package of prototype size/arm strength as well as good accuracy and toughness.

Todd McShay said that Blain Gabbert is ran a one read spread offense that's why he has terrible pocket awareness. I on the other hand don't get the hype maybe its just Jimmy Clausen hype.

Sarcastro
03-24-2011, 10:37 PM
The complaints about his lack of production are overblown. He had better stats in 09, but the team was much worse. Better play isn't always reflected in stats. Gabbert had quite a few games this year where he didn't get many TDs, but the Tigers rushed for four or five plus TDs and won by 30+ points. Missouri also had a top five scoring defense this year, so the offense was intentionally limited in the second half of quite a few games. Gabbert tore Texas A&M up down in College Station. He won the OU game with two TD drives in the 4th quarter while Landry Jones couldn't complete a pass.

Scott Wright
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
In case you missed it, I posted my scouting report on Gabbert:

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Blaine-Gabbert.php

GaMeTiMe
03-25-2011, 12:34 AM
To make it short and simple for everyone, Gabbert is a QB-shell. That's pretty much it. Forget what you see or don't see on tape. His entire upside as a prospect is that he's pretty much a QB-starter kit that has to be coached and molded by whoever drafts him. Guys like Gailey, Marvin Lewis and Whisenhunt are intruiged by that, but obviously moreso with Newton because that's a completey different potential package.

Forget about what prospects are better than the QBs or where someone has the QBs in their overall rankings, the best QBs are going to go at the top of the draft to the team that needs the potential franchise guys.

toonsterwu
03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Gabbert has some clear warts - his pocket poise isn't sharp right now, to say the least, and he has to learn a pro system. That said, there is enough to like. He has a proto-typical size, good athleticism, solid arm strength. He's viewed as a guy that is willing to stay in the pocket. He's thought of as a good student, leader, and has a good work ethic. Mechancially, there's some tinkering, but nothing significant.

It's a factor of positional value, upside, and the belief that he has a high floor, along with the fact that this is a weak top of the draft.

For me, a pro-ready QB is someone that is willing to put in the work. Sure, coming from the Pinkel offense, he has some learning to do, but almost all college QB's have a lot of learning to do (I've made this argument elsewhere). I don't know him personally, but if he has the strong work ethic and character that is being reported, then that's a big plus for him.

FUNBUNCHER
03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm worried that Gabbert's anxiety in the pocket could end up being a fatal flaw that can't really be corrected.

Defenses could bang on Colt McCoy at Texas, and he'd dust himself off and throw timing strikes on slants the very next play.

Same thing with Sam Bradford. He NEVER panicked in the pocket, and you could see that same poise even as a rookie for St. Louis.

Poise allows you to filter through all the garbage coming at you as a QB from the snap, spot/anticipate the open WR and make a play. Without poise, the game becomes chaotic and too fast to process.

Cam Newton, for comparison, has tons of pocket presence and poise when he has to make a play with his arm and never looked rushed or nervous; very efficient when he decides to run but he's also very relaxed and under control when he has to throw the football.

Again, this issue with Gabbert won't be resolved until he's actually drafted by an NFL team, but if he has a David Carr-esque rookie year, meaning he's lit up often by blitzing defenders, I think his mental toughness and emotional fortitude will be put to the ultimate test.

Either he comes through like Troy Aikman and becomes a pro bowl caliber QB who adjusts to the physicality and constant pressure of the NFL game, or he implodes.

When you see Gabbert running around panicked at Mizzou then realize he only threw for 16 TDs in an offense that should have easily doubled those TD numbers, it makes you wonder.

If the speed of the game in the Big 12 is too fast for Gabbert...oh well.

All the other top prospects despite their flaws had games last season where they were 'on' and dominated an opponent statistically.

Gabbert IMO didn't have a single one, even against the creampuff part of Mizzou's schedule.

BTW, I still agree based strictly on physical talent and potential upside and the demand for teams to find a franchise QB, Gabbert regardless is a 1st round talent, my question is realistically how far could he fall assuming he doesn't go top 10??

I had a friend pose to me that the guy Gabbert most reminds him of Chris Simms as a prospect coming out, same physical tools, same flawed game who played small under pressure.

( I think NFL scouts see the player that Hoge does, not McShay.)

king2am
03-25-2011, 07:11 AM
It is all mostly because of his mobility,size and height for most of the BS lame reasons IMO he shouldn't even be a 2nd rounder.The NFL N says he got above average but I don't see it.Why would he have only like 16 TD in a spread offense?Its pretty lame how they rank them.It should really go like this Locker,Mallet,Ponder THEN Newton and Gabbert.If the scouts were dam serious.But they don't all think like what we do and go off body build and arm strength.Not game tape.I also have admit that if is just as worse as Locker for as yardage go or even percentage goes too then why is he a second rounder?THE DUDE is a spread QB.He is NO Bradford and not even close.

So...tell me again why, if the scouts only care about size and arm strength, Ryan Mallet isn't the consensus number one...or two...or even three at this point?

You don't like him. We get it - but because you like Jake Locker more than any quarterback in this draft does NOT mean NFL scouts are the dumb ones.

Rashaan Salaam
03-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm worried that Gabbert's anxiety in the pocket could end up being a fatal flaw that can't really be corrected.

Defenses could bang on Colt McCoy at Texas, and he'd dust himself off and throw timing strikes on slants the very next play.

Same thing with Sam Bradford. He NEVER panicked in the pocket, and you could see that same poise even as a rookie for St. Louis.

Poise allows you to filter through all the garbage coming at you as a QB from the snap, spot/anticipate the open WR and make a play. Without poise, the game becomes chaotic and too fast to process.

Cam Newton, for comparison, has tons of pocket presence and poise when he has to make a play with his arm and never looked rushed or nervous; very efficient when he decides to run but he's also very relaxed and under control
when he has to throw the football.

Again, this issue with Gabbert won't be resolved until he's actually drafted by an NFL team, but if he has a David Carr-esque rookie year, meaning he's lit up often by blitzing defenders, I think his mental toughness and emotional fortitude will be put to the ultimate test.

Either he comes through like Troy Aikman and becomes a pro bowl caliber QB who adjusts to the physicality and constant pressure of the NFL game, or he implodes.

When you see Gabbert running around panicked at Mizzou then realize he only threw for 16 TDs in an offense that should have easily doubled those TD numbers, it makes you wonder.

If the speed of the game in the Big 12 is too fast for Gabbert...oh well.

All the other top prospects despite their flaws had games last season where they were 'on' and dominated an opponent statistically.

Gabbert IMO didn't have a single one, even against the creampuff part of Mizzou's schedule.

BTW, I still agree based strictly on physical talent and potential upside and the demand for teams to find a franchise QB, Gabbert regardless is a 1st round talent, my question is realistically how far could he fall assuming he doesn't go top 10??

I had a friend pose to me that the guy Gabbert most reminds him of Chris Simms as a prospect coming out, same physical tools, same flawed game whose played small under pressure.

( I think NFL scouts see the player that Hoge does, not McShay.)

Close Thread...nothing more to see here

*shuts off lights*

Babylon
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Gabbert has some clear warts - his pocket poise isn't sharp right now, to say the least, and he has to learn a pro system. That said, there is enough to like. He has a proto-typical size, good athleticism, solid arm strength. He's viewed as a guy that is willing to stay in the pocket. He's thought of as a good student, leader, and has a good work ethic. Mechancially, there's some tinkering, but nothing significant.

It's a factor of positional value, upside, and the belief that he has a high floor, along with the fact that this is a weak top of the draft.

For me, a pro-ready QB is someone that is willing to put in the work. Sure, coming from the Pinkel offense, he has some learning to do, but almost all college QB's have a lot of learning to do (I've made this argument elsewhere). I don't know him personally, but if he has the strong work ethic and character that is being reported, then that's a big plus for him.

I'm pretty much of this camp. The guy is taking a lot of heat mostly i think because he is predicted to go a the top of the draft. If scouts are saying he should go in the middle of the 1st round i think the support for him would be much greater. Having said that if i'm picking at the top of the draft and need a QB i'm going to try some differant ways to get him or one of the others by moving down and adding more picks.

vidae
03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not a Gabbert fan at all. I'd still probably take him in the first round, but I'd much rather have Newton and his extreme upside.

cajuncorey
03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
wait, whos blaine gabbert?

Iamcanadian
03-25-2011, 12:58 PM
My uptake on Gabbert:

1) He's only a junior so like Sanchez last year, he is going to get picked on because he is very raw and inexperienced, add in the fact he comes from a spread offense on a team that is traditionally not a football powerhouse and you are going to get every amateur critic pouring out junk.

2) Every GM and scout are high on him, why, because when you meet him in person, he stands out and impresses people as a real leader and they know he will put in the time to be great.
He has a very solid arm, is very mobile and has quick feet.

3)Cons - His stats are not what you would like to see but many college QB's, many who red-shirted a year, put it together in their senior years and Gabbert won't get the chance plus he never got a red-shirt year.

4) You are not likely to ever get a junior QB from college who will appear to have it all. There are simply going to be more and more junior QB's declaring, so what is a losing team going to do. If they pass on Gabbert because he is raw, they may be waiting for another decade to get a possible franchise QB?
Teams are simple going to have to take the risk on junior QB's like the Jets did and hope for the best, otherwise they could be bottom feeders for many years.

5) Gabbert is recognized by every scout and GM as having a huge upside, will he succeed, who knows, there are no guarantees ever in the draft, it's a crap shoot at best. If I'm Carolina I draft him #1 overall because the reward is simply way too great to pass on him.
Carolina's GM knows, if he passes on Gabbert, his stadium will be full of empty seats, maybe for years while they try and find another possible franchise QB, and Carolina will lose out on merchandise sales that taking a QB brings in. He'll likely be fired should he pass on Gabbert and Gabbert becomes what the scouts and GM's believe he will, and he'll be fired anyway for the empty seats in his owners stadium. So I suspect Carolina will draft Gabbert #1 and I won't be at all shocked to see Newton go #2 in the draft even if it involves a trade up. It just goes to show how important the QB position is in the NFL.

Babylon
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
My uptake on Gabbert:

1) He's only a junior so like Sanchez last year, he is going to get picked on because he is very raw and inexperienced, add in the fact he comes from a spread offense on a team that is traditionally not a football powerhouse and you are going to get every amateur critic pouring out junk.

So he played for Missouri, it isnt like they're Washington st.

2) Every GM and scout are high on him, why, because when you meet him in person, he stands out and impresses people as a real leader and they know he will put in the time to be great.
He has a very solid arm, is very mobile and has quick feet.

Please dont make the assumption that every GM and scout is high on Gabbert because there is no evidence to back that up.

3)Cons - His stats are not what you would like to see but many college QB's, many who red-shirted a year, put it together in their senior years and Gabbert won't get the chance plus he never got a red-shirt year.

4) You are not likely to ever get a junior QB from college who will appear to have it all. There are simply going to be more and more junior QB's declaring, so what is a losing team going to do. If they pass on Gabbert because he is raw, they may be waiting for another decade to get a possible franchise QB?
Teams are simple going to have to take the risk on junior QB's like the Jets did and hope for the best, otherwise they could be bottom feeders for many years.

Ben Rothliesberger, Mattew Stafford and Sam Bradford would probably disagree

5) Gabbert is recognized by every scout and GM as having a huge upside, will he succeed, who knows, there are no guarantees ever in the draft, it's a crap shoot at best. If I'm Carolina I draft him #1 overall because the reward is simply way too great to pass on him.
Carolina's GM knows, if he passes on Gabbert, his stadium will be full of empty seats, maybe for years while they try and find another possible franchise QB, and Carolina will lose out on merchandise sales that taking a QB brings in. He'll likely be fired should he pass on Gabbert and Gabbert becomes what the scouts and GM's believe he will, and he'll be fired anyway for the empty seats in his owners stadium. So I suspect Carolina will draft Gabbert #1 and I won't be at all shocked to see Newton go #2 in the draft even if it involves a trade up. It just goes to show how important the QB position is in the NFL.

So if Carolina drafts Gabbert the place will be packed watching him either sit on the bench or play for a losing team, as most rookie QBs at the top of the draft do. Explain that one to me.

I'm not totally of the belief that Gabbert wont be a good QB but to annoint him as some kind of savior as opposed to a guy with potential, who should be a mid-1st round pick, is buying into the hype way too much.

WCH
03-25-2011, 11:51 PM

Nice post from start to finish, but you hinted towards a longstanding issue that I've been trying to figure out for more than a decade: Was Aikman a "great" QB, or was he a passable QB who lucked into having a great RB, a GREAT OL, and Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jay Novachek (sp?) and Moose Johnston? In other words, did he make a career out of being a luckier version of Brad Johnson?

Aikman won three Super Bowls, had undisputed leadership skills, and was voted a Pro Bowler more often than not, but he wasn't spectacular from a statistical standpoint, and I'm not convinced that he would have been worth spit if you had dumped him into most other teams. I think he would have been a bust if Green Bay or Detroit had held the #1 pick that year.

I guess I ask because, personally, I wouldn't be willing to use a top-10 pick on a guy who's upside is Troy Aikman, unless I also have that type of supporting cast.

Halsey
03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
You don't win 3 Super Bowls with poor QB play. Yeah, Aikman had a good supporting cast, but that supporting cast had a good QB. You're just trying to de-value Aikman to support your argument against taking a QB. There's a reason top organizations spend first round picks on a QB when they need one.

FUNBUNCHER
03-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Troy at times was non-descript during the regular season, but during the playoffs he was often the best offensive player of the field for the Cowboys and the reason IMO he was a 1st ballot HOFer.

During the 1992 season playoff run, Aikman threw 8 TDs, zero picks and averaged approximately 67% completions per game.

1993 SB run, Aikman averaged 73% completions per game.

1995 SB run, 4 TDs/ 1 INT, 67 % completion rate.