PDA

View Full Version : Bar-bq's First 2011 2 Round Mock Draft!

Bar-bq
03-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Hey Everybody!

Here's my first 2-Rounder for 2011. I'd love some feedback if you have any.

Cheers!

Round One:

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Adam Schefter beat everybody to the punch on Sam Bradford last year, and Newton to the Panthers makes a lot of sense. He guarantees bums on seats in Carolina, and he has the skillset to develop into a special player.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
This pick is all but locked up. One of the most versatile linemen to come along in some time who addresses a major need on the Denver defense.

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
Miller will provide the pass rush the Bills’ organization has sorely been lacking. Gabbert is a possibility, but if the Bills aren’t sold, Ryan Fitzpatrick still has some mileage in him.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Peterson is the most fluid defender to come along since Woodson, and in a division where you face Boldin and Wallace twice a year each, you’ll need all the help you can get.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
If he’s available, I have no doubt that Wisenhunt will pull the trigger on Gabbert: he’s exactly what you look for in a young passer and has the chance to become the second best QB in the division behind Sam Bradford.

6. Cleveland Browns: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
For a long time, Bowers was projected to Carolina as the #1 pick. His stock has fallen a little due to injury concerns, and Cleveland are the benefactors. Shurmur will be hard pressed not to pull the trigger on Green, but Mike Holmgren will make the ultimate call.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The 49ers have a gaping hole in their secondary, and with neither of the top QBs on the board, Amukamara is the pick.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Did somebody say Albert Haynesworth? Fairley will be a good fit in the middle of the Titans’ 4-3 and is really good value here.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Smith has done everything he can to secure himself a place in the top 10, and the OT-neediest team is the Cowboys. They’ll race to the podium if he’s available and Amakamura is gone.

10. Washington Redskins: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
I still think that AJ Green will be selected higher, but I’m not projecting trades. The Redskins get lucky to nab the best WR to come out since Megatron in ’08.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
How much did a year off hurt Robert Quinn? Enough to push him all of the way out of the top 10 overall. Houston need some help getting to the passer, and they’ll be willing to take the risk.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Brett Favre has finally retired, and the Vikes are in dire straits at QB. Enter last year’s Andrew Luck, who is surprisingly a little bit of a reach here. I think he’ll be a great pro.

13. Detroit Lions: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
The Lions will be looking to make a move up or down on draft day, as they’ll struggle to pair value and need at pick 13. If they have their sights set on CB/OL, they’ll be able to find better value in the 6-10 range. Solder fits the bill as a good OT to protect Stafford.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Teams looking to leapfrog the Rams for Jones will find viable trading partners at pick 13. If the Rams want really him, which they really should, they’ll probably have to move up themselves.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Brown and Williams are projected to bolt, so Ingram makes a lot of sense. First round runner with extraordinary vision.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
I love Kerrigan’s motor. The Jags will be looking to bolster their pass rush, and the Purdue product is arguably the best man for the job.

17. New England Patriots: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Watt’s stock is on the rise, and New England need a 5-Technique opposite Ty Warren. It’s common sense, people.

18. San Diego Chargers: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
Another needy 5-Technique team secures a prospect who played the position in college. Jordan has had an outstanding senior bowl and combine.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College
The Giants’ OL is ageing, and they’ll need somebody to step in and protect Manning eventually.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Clayborn has been slipping a little, but I think he’d be a nice fit as a part of the re-tooled Bucs D-Line.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
The Chiefs add another blocker to keep Cassel upright. The holes for Jones and Charles are going to keep getting bigger.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
The Colts fell apart midseason, and a lack of OL depth was a big reason why. Look for Sherrod to start sooner rather than later.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
OLB has been a spot of bother for the Eagles for the best part of the last five years. Ayers has all of the tools you look for and would be right at home next to Stewart Bradley.

24. New Orleans Saints: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
The Saints don’t have an abundance of needs, but DE is certainly up for consideration. Houston is good value at this point and has a pretty solid burst.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
The Seahawks will either have to reach for Ryan Mallett or wait until next year to find their QB of the future. Pouncey has played his way into the late first/early second and will be a stud blocker by the time a new QB arrives.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The Ravens’ secondary wasn’t exactly a strong suit last year. Journeymen stand aside: the Jimmy Smith era begins now.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Corey Liuget, DL, Illinois
Luiget is another prospect I expect to see go a little higher than this. As it stands, he’ll perform a Justin Tuck type role for the Falcons.

28. New England Patriots: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
The Patriots probably could have looked at Smith with their first pick, and he’s a good fit here. He’ll bolster their pass rush with Watt holding down the frontline.

29. Chicago Bears: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
Tommie Harris was sent packing, and Taylor has enough size and strength to be two nose tackles.

30. New York Jets: Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh
Vernon Gholston was a colossal bust, and it’s time for Rex Ryan to bring in another stud pass rusher.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
I really like Brandon Harris as a player, and Pittsburh definitely could use some depth in the secondary. Value meets need at pick #31.

32. Green Bay Packers: Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
The Pack don’t exactly have an abundance of needs. Bailey is a promising 5-Technique End, and would solidify the fort with Cullen Jenkins up front.

Round Two:

1. New England Patriots: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

2. Buffalo Bills: Marcus Canon, OT, TCU

3. Cincinnati Bengals: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh

4. Denver Broncos: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

5. Cleveland Browns: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

6. Arizona Cardinals: Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona

7. Tennessee Titans: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas

8. Dallas Cowboys: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

9. Washington Redskins: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.

10. Houston Texans: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

11. Minnesota Vikings: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon St.

12. Detroit Lions: Rasi-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

13. San Francisco 49ers: Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa

14. Denver Broncos: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville

15. St. Louis Rams: Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC

16. Oakland Raiders: Stefan Wisniewski, OC Penn State

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

18. San Diego Chargers: Titus Young, WR, Boise St.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

20. New York Giants: Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa

21. Indianapolis Colts: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC

24. New Orleans Saints: Sam Acho, OLB, Texas

25. Seattle Seahawks: Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida St.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

27. Atlanta Falcons: Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky

28. New England Patriots: Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU

29. San Diego Chargers: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova

30. Chicago Bears: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: James Carpenter OL, Alabama

32. Green Bay Packers: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

GoRavens
03-28-2011, 06:23 AM
pretty nice Ravens mock derr fella

DiG
03-28-2011, 07:41 AM
great first round pick for the skins. aj green would be a dream come true. can't say the same for ponder unless its potentially in a trade down scenario. staying put in the first two rounds and taking ponder in the 2nd is a bad situation for us.

49erNation85
03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
descent 9ers mock.Fills both major needs.However,Stanzi I don't think is a second rounder though I still like his QB play.

leroyisgod
03-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd be happy with these two picks for the Cowboys. Not sure Williams will drop that low, but if he does I'd be open to taking him with that pick.

wicket
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Aldon over houston please, aldon is better value and better fit in a 4-3. I like acho in the second

ChicagoBearsVet23
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Good Bears draft though I'd hope we take LeShoure in the 2nd if he falls.

GatorsBullsFan
03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Kerrigan would of fit for the Jags but in the last few days we've had some inside information saying the Jags are looking more at one of the bigger DEs like Jordan or Watt...So Kerrigan probably would of worked last week

Pat Sims 90
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I like Peterson but idk if the Bengals would pass on Gabbert if he is available when they pick.

I dont think the Bengals would take Baldwin because they are trying to avoid diva WRs.

bucsti25
03-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Clayborn over Houston and Smith for the bucs? hmmmmm.....

drd23
03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Great Ravens mock.

Smith is pretty much the only CB that I would take in the first 2 rounds as he provides us with something different from what we already have.

Torrey Smith in the 2nd is a great pick and gives us what we're lacking from WR - speed and youth

4U2NV
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Nice job. Only major complaint is that you've got Martez Wilson going twice in the 2nd round.

Babylon
03-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Seattle

Taking Pouncey and Hudson in the first two rounds seems redundant to me. I'll take Aldon Smith over Pouncey and would even entertain rolling the dice on Mallett or Ponder there. Do like a lot of the picks in the mock.

thebow305
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Miami pick works for me

rawdawg
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Bears don't need a NT. They need a 3-technique. Taylor is not a 3-technique, though he is a beast. And I'd take Orlando Franklin 100x out of 100 over Boling.

Bar-bq
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Seattle

Taking Pouncey and Hudson in the first two rounds seems redundant to me. I'll take Aldon Smith over Pouncey and would even entertain rolling the dice on Mallett or Ponder there. Do like a lot of the picks in the mock.

You're right - I missed that. I'll take that into account for next time.

Nice job. Only major complaint is that you've got Martez Wilson going twice in the 2nd round.

Bugger! I'll change that. Thanks.

Good Bears draft though I'd hope we take LeShoure in the 2nd if he falls.

Even with Forte on the roster? Surely there are some bigger priorities?

I like Peterson but idk if the Bengals would pass on Gabbert if he is available when they pick.

I dont think the Bengals would take Baldwin because they are trying to avoid diva WRs.

Duly noted. What's the word in Bengal City about Gabbert / Carson Palmer's departure?

Kerrigan would of fit for the Jags but in the last few days we've had some inside information saying the Jags are looking more at one of the bigger DEs like Jordan or Watt...So Kerrigan probably would of worked last week

Thanks! Can you link me a source for this? I'd be really interested in reading about that.

Keep it coming, everybody!

StrikeAnywhere
03-28-2011, 10:06 PM
For Denver in the 2nd round, I don't like Rudolph as the first selection... not when Wilson, Williams, Moore and Paea are all still on the board. If they are all gone then we could conceivably take him with the second pick at 46, but TE just really isn't a priority for us. It's more of a nice to have whereas so many other positions are dire necessities.

Seasonticketholder
03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
I honestly do not think the Saints would take Justin Houston over Aldon Smith.

Bar-bq
03-29-2011, 01:22 AM
For Denver in the 2nd round, I don't like Rudolph as the first selection... not when Wilson, Williams, Moore and Paea are all still on the board. If they are all gone then we could conceivably take him with the second pick at 46, but TE just really isn't a priority for us. It's more of a nice to have whereas so many other positions are dire necessities.

Cool, thanks.

I was operating on the logic that John Fox loves his Tight Ends, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. Would you be opposed to two defensive linemen in the first two rounds?

StickSkills
03-29-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm fine with the first round pick for the Chiefs, however in the second round, the pick of Marvin Austin is terrible in my opinion (no offense).

First off, I don't like Marvin Austin, but more importantly, I don't think he can be a true 3-4 NT. I don't think he's big enough to fill that role and that is what the Chiefs need. They can't afford to have to move him to DE on the 3-4 because they already spent high picks on Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey at those positions. Marvin Austin is not a NT and that is what they need. Just isn't a fit for their system.

TheMatriculator
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm fine with the first round pick for the Chiefs, however in the second round, the pick of Marvin Austin is terrible in my opinion (no offense).

First off, I don't like Marvin Austin, but more importantly, I don't think he can be a true 3-4 NT. I don't think he's big enough to fill that role and that is what the Chiefs need. They can't afford to have to move him to DE on the 3-4 because they already spent high picks on Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey at those positions. Marvin Austin is not a NT and that is what they need. Just isn't a fit for their system.

Even if he were a fit, there's no way Scott Pioli will draft this guy. The Chiefs will take one look at the character issues and run like hell in the other direction.
http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d188340133f2711601970b-500wi

GatorsBullsFan
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Marvin Austin is another one of these thugs and it just feeds their rep when they get more money. Its not going to change because his entourage wont let it. When these guys get big entourages that is when the problems start getting worse. Look at Pac-Man and Tank Johnson

vidae
03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Phil Taylor in the first and Torrey Smith in the second for KC would be much much better. As it was already said, Austin is a horrible fit for KC.

SimonRath
03-29-2011, 10:56 AM
the Falcons have no need for a DT

T-RICH49
03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
wow that is one horrible Chiefs draft.like vidae said Taylor+Smith is better

StrikeAnywhere
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Cool, thanks.

I was operating on the logic that John Fox loves his Tight Ends, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. Would you be opposed to two defensive linemen in the first two rounds?

Not at all. In fact, if they took 2 linemen with two of their first three picks I would probably kiss my TV. The only DT we have on our roster is Vickerson, and I don't think he's a starter really. We could really use Paea, even if we get Dareus. I for one am hopeful that Ayers will play better at DE than he ever did as a linebacker, but I don't think many broncos fans on this board share my optimism, so help at DE would probably be welcomed there too.

jCut
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM

No offense, but that's not logic. John Fox rarely uses tight-ends in the passing game and I can't recall the last time he drafted one early with Carolina.

No Denver fan would be opposed to two DL in the first two rounds. DL is by far our weak point.

FlyingElvis
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
17. New England Patriots: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

28. New England Patriots: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

1. New England Patriots: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

28. New England Patriots: Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU

29. San Diego Chargers: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
30. Chicago Bears: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
31. Pittsburgh Steelers: James Carpenter OL, Alabama

Another small, fast likely-best-@-slot WR . . . yay. Sub in one of those 3 OLs coming off the board after 28 and I'd want to lay this mock down by the fire.