PDA

View Full Version : Mock 1.0 2 Rounds

Menardo75
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
1. Carolina – QB Blaine Gabbert (jr) Missouri

Carolina had a disastrous year this year and have very many holes to fill. QB is one very glaring weakness on this roster. The keys were handed over to Matt Moore this year after a promising end to the 09 season. Moore was not able to accomplish much with it, and 2nd round pick Jimmy Clausen didn’t do much more with it. Clausen in many people’s eyes including mine just does not have the look of an NFL quarterback which bumps that to the number one priority. This is not a strong QB class but Gabbert today appears to be the best one of the bunch. I see Gabbert succeeding in the NFL if Carolina is able to shape the offense to his talents and do like other teams do and try to force him into their scheme. Defensive tackle is a big area of need and a possible choice here, but more often than not new head coaches want to come in start off their tenure by selecting their guy.

2. Denver – DT Marcell Dareus (jr) Alabama

Denvers defensive situation is a mess. Looking at the talent on their roster though moving back to the 4-3 is a very wise move, and we know that John Fox is going to get the best out of the hand he is dealt defensively. There have not been very supportive reviews coming out of the Broncos organization for Tim Tebow, but I have a hard time seeing the Broncos go QB with him and Kyle Orton still on the roster. I think the Broncos go defense with perhaps the top defensive lineman (which is saying something this year) in Marcell Dareus. Dareus is versatile can play the 3 technique and even showed the ability to line up at end and get after the QB. I don’t see the Broncos going defensive end here with Elivs Dumerville a proven pass rusher already on the roster. Hopefully former first round pick Robert Ayers will be able to flash his ability being moved back to his natural defensive end position.

3. Buffalo – OLB Von Miller Texas A&M

Buffalo needs big time help on defense after switching schemes. Mainly a top flight pass rusher or an impact player period in that front seven. I don’t see them going QB here since I think they are very content with Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. Also Chan Gailey has proven he can get lots of production out of QBs that aren’t marquee names. The offensive line needs major improvement but there are not any top flight offensive lineman rated this high this year. Miller is an elite talent that can get after the QB and give that Buffalo defense a huge shot in the arm.

4. Cincinnati – QB Cam Newton (jr) Auburn

The situation with Carson Palmer is very messy to say the least. If it were me and a guy didn’t want to be part of my team then fine get rid of him and get some compensation for him. This is after all Mike Brown let’s not forget that. If Palmer is not going to be part of the team you can bet the team is not going into the season with Dan Lefevour, and Jordan Palmer as their QBs. Cam Newton is a dynamic talent who could have the biggest upside of any player in this draft, and we will find out how good of an offensive mine Jay Gruden is right off the bat if this is the pick. I don’t see A.J. Green going here, since I don’t see Chad Ochosinco going anywhere and I think they give their young receiving corps another year to show their stuff.

5. Arizona – Robert Quinn DE/OLB (Jr) North Carolina

Arizona could really use a QB but they are very high on their two young guys so I don’t think that’s the direction they will go if either of them are even still on the board. The Cardinals defense needs a dynamic edge rusher and perhaps that guy is Robert Quinn from UNC. Quinn hasn’t played in a year but at the end of the day if you know how to play the game of football you don’t forget. Quinn also had a dynamite sophomore season for the Tar Heels. Patrick Peterson is also a realistic pick here but the need of a pass rusher trumps all else on defense.

6. Cleveland – A.J. Green WR (Jr) Georgia

The Browns have a new coach and new systems all over the board with Pat Shurmer coming over from St. Louis. The Browns have needs all over the front seven and Da’Quan Bowers could be a very attractive pick but lets face it this receiving corps needs some serious help. I don’t believe in Colt McCoy as the guy, but if the Browns do then they need to give him some help. This offense will never get to new heights with Peyton Hillis as your leading pass catcher. A.J. Green is a big time WR prospect with Calvin Johnson like potential, and can be a very valuable receiving option for the Browns.

7. San Francisco – Patrick Peterson (Jr) CB LSU

This is a slam dunk pick for the 49ers. They would love to add a QB here, but with all the top guys off the board they will wait to add one later. That turns this pick to the best available defensive player. Peterson is a consensus top player in the draft and considered by some as the best overall player in the draft. The 49ers also could use a pass rusher, but Peterson is too good to pass up at this point.

8. Tennessee – Nick Fairley (Jr) DT Auburn

The Titans are also in the market for a QB but it is probably too early to grab one of the next guys. The Titans roster wise might be in some of the best shape of all of the teams picking this early. The defensive line is not necessarily the biggest position of need for the Titans, but Nick Fairley is a premier defensive talent that the Titans cannot pass up. The fact that Fairley’s former defensive line coach at Auburn is now at the same position in Tennessee that makes this pick even more attractive.

9. Dallas – J.J. Watt (Jr) DE Wisconsin

Dallas really needs to address the offensive line but I really don’t see Jerry Jones taking a non flashy pick in the first round. Either way I don’t see an offensive tackle worthy of a top ten pick this year. With Marcus Spears becoming a free agent that leaves a big hole at defensive end. Watt is a great football player with a high motor that can play defensive end in any scheme, and would probably be an upgrade over Spears even if he was still on the team. The cowboys could go corner with this pick, but Watt fills a bigger need at this point.

10. Washington – Julio Jones (Jr) WR Alabama

Washington might be the only team with more holes to fill than the Carolina Panthers. It has become clear that the Donovan McNabb era has come to an abrupt end in Washington, and seriously doubt they are counting on Rex Grossman as the long term answer, at least I hope not for their sake. They need help on the offensive line, an OLB, corner, and on the D line. Julio Jones will be a hug addition to whoever is playing QB in Washington next year. Anthony Armstrong had a very respectable year, but he is not even in the conversation of being a number one receiver. Jones will be a great piece in starting to rebuild the Redskins roster.

11. Houston – Aldon Smith (Jr) OLB Missouri

I believe the biggest acquisition of the off season so far has been the addition of Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator in Houston. It is a statistical fact the Peyton Manning struggles against 3-4 defenses so why the three teams that have to see him twice a year are not running that system is beyond me. Wade is one of the best DCs in the NFL, but Houston needs major help to run a effective one. The 3-4 really requires two pieces a NT and a OLB that can get after the QB, and Aldon Smith might be just what the doctor ordered. Smith is a highly athletic OLB with great pass rush moves that would be a good step in building this 3-4 defense. Prince Amukamara would be very attractive here, but I don’t see Houston taking a corner back to back years in the first round.

12. Minnesota – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

Minnesota would love to add a QB here but once again it’s too early. If this scenario presented itself in real life the Vikings would probably find someone to trade up for Da’Quan Bowers and move back into the 20s and perhaps grab Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker. If they stick here though Prince Amukamara would be a slam dunk pick for the Vikings. Amukamaraa could start right away and allow the Vikings to move Antoine Winfield, or Chris Cook to FS, and really boost the secondary. The only thing that keeps me from giving the Vikings Bowers here is with the contract that Brian Robison was awarded they are expecting some big contribution from him.

13. Detroit – Da’ Quan Bowers (Jr) DE Clemson

Man would this be the dream scenario for the Lions. Detroit has needs on defense pretty much everywhere in the secondary but FS. They could also add a linebacker, and not to mention their biggest need on the offensive line, but Bowers is a top 5 talent, and in no way do In think he makes it this far, but if he did the Lions would not hesitate in adding him, with Kyle Vanden Bosh getting up there in years. The Lions defensive line might be good enough to cover up that secondary in this scenario.

14. St. Louis – Cameron Jordan DE California

The rams would love it if either A.J. Green or Julio Jones fell to them here, but with both of them off the board, and it being too early for Titus Young or Torrey Smith they need to turn their attention to their other needs. James Hall had a nice year for the Rams but he is getting up there in years, and they need to upgrade that position. Cameron Jordan has quietly become one of the top defensive end prospects, and is a very solid all round performer. He would be a very nice addition opposite Chris Long. The defensive tackle position could also be addressed, but it might be too early for Muhammad Wilkerson, Stephen Paea, and Corey Luiget.

15. Miami – Mike Pouncy OG Florida

Mark Ingram seems to be the consensus pick here, and running back is a huge need for Miami, but Ingram really is not a very good fit for the Dolphins offensive system so I think they will looks elsewhere. The Dolphins offensive line was ravaged by injuries last year, but even when healthy they need an upgrade inside. Pouncy can be an impact starter on the offensive line right away and help turn this unit into a premier unit in the NFL. Some people feel he might be better than his brother and his brother was pretty good for the Steelers last year.

16. Jacksonville – Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue

The Jags have recognized their need for a defensive end for some time now and the fact they haven’t addressed it isn’t for lack of trying. Derrick Harvey was a huge bust, and Aaron Kampman can’t stay healthy. I believe Kerrigan would be an excellent fit as a 3-4 OLB, but he will be a great weakside defensive end for any team. I think the Jags fix their problem this year.

17. New England(F/OAK) – Tyron Smith OT USC

New England once again is as good at moving around in the draft as anybody so you never really know what they are going to do. The Patriots would jump all over Mike Pouncy if he was still on the board here, but he is gone. They could use a pass rusher Justin Houston is a possibility but it might be too early for him or Brooks Reed. They really want to upgrade the offensive line and Tyron Smith would be a bargain at this spot. He can come in behind Matt Light and wait his turn. The Patriots has the luxury of not having to have all their top picks having to play right away and Smith could develop into a great LT.

18. San Diego – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

The Chargers could really use an OLB opposite Shaun Phillips, but this still might be too early for Justin Houston or Akeem Ayers. Defensive end is another area of need though for the Chargers. With Greg Manusky coming in to run the defense the backside defensive end in his scheme lines up as more of a traditional defensive end, and is essentially turned loose. This would be a great fit for Adrian Clayborn. Clayborn was considered a sure fire top ten pick last year, but after an injury plagued senior season his stock has fallen. I believe though that he would really flourish in this situation.

19. New York Giants – Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

The Giants once dominate offensive line is starting to fade away with age and somebody needs to be brought in to upgrade. Castonzo may never be an elite LT but he will never hurt you being in the lineup and should be just fine protecting Eli Manning. The Giants could also use interior offensive line help, and help in the front seven on defense, but with Castonzo on the board I doubt they will pass on him.

20. Tampa Bay – Akeem Ayers (JR) OLB UCLA

You have to give the Bucs credit they might have put together some terrific draft classes the last couple years, but they need to keep it up to turn this team into one of the elites. They have needs at defensive end and could go Cameron Heyward here or even Justin Houston, but Ayers is a great fit for their defensive scheme.

21. Kansas City – Phil Taylor NT Baylor

Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi could easily be the pick here since offensive tackle is an area of need, but the Chief’s could wait and get a RT later in the draft. OLB opposite Tamba Hali is also a possibility but Phil Taylor is a prospect on the rise and a great fit as NT in KC’s defense. Taylor is big and is has deceptive athleticism for a guy his size and would be a great addition.

22. Indianapolis – Nate Solder OT Colorado

The Colts offensive line was publicly criticized by their general manager after the Super Bowl loss, and instead of doing something about it he drafted Jerry Hughes last year. This year I can’t see the Colts going in any other direction. Solder gets the nod over Carimi here because of his upside as a LT, whereas I believe Carimi is better suited for the right side. Solder might not be ready right away, but he could turn into a great blindside protector for Manning.

23. Philadelphia – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin

The Eagles could use an upgrade a corner and Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris could be very attractive picks. Michael Vick however is your franchise now and you need to protect him. Vick took a beating last year and they have a big need at offensive tackle. Carimi is an ideal fit at right tackle, and you know Howard Mudd is going to get every ounce of his potential out of him.

24. New Orleans. – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State

A lot of people are going to scream for the Saints taking safety, but one bad game doesn’t mean they need help at safety. If they New Orleans secondary needs anything it’s for them to all stay healthy. They do however need a defensive end opposite Will Smith. Cameron Heyward in my opinion should be going way before this, but most teams are not as high on him as I am. Heyward can do whatever you ask of him whether it be stopping the run or getting after the quarterback. He also adds value since you can kick him inside to the three technique in nickel situations. The Saints also need to add an OLB at some point in the draft. Bottom line the Saints will take whoever the top rated player on their board is and who knows who that is.

25. Seattle – Jake Locker QB Washington

The Seahawks have needs in a lot of places especially the offensive line. All the first round offensive lineman are off the board though. I really wanted to give them Mark Ingram, but with the uncertainty surrounding Matt Hasselbeck and Clipboard Jesus a quarterback here would be hard for Seattle to ignore. Locker has all of the physical measurable to be an outstanding QB in the NFL, and was even thought to have gone over Sam Bradford had he declared last year. Locker though being a Northwest kid and still on the board seems to be a good match for the Seahawks.

26. Baltimore – Jimmy Smith CB Colorado

The Ravens would like to add a vertical threat for Joe Flacco, but with the holes they have at corner and the way they were exposed in the playoffs I think that’s the direction they go. Jimmy Smith might have the best athletic measurable of any corner in this draft, and would be a good find for the Ravens late in the first round.

27. Atlanta – Titus Young WR Boise State

The Falcons burst onto the scene last year winning 14 games, and the embarrassed at home by the packers. They could use a defensive end here, but the Falcons need somebody to complement Roddy White at WR. Young is a vertical threat who finished up a great senior season with a fantastic off season so far and would be a nice weapon to add for Matt Ryan.

28. New England – Justin Houston (JR) OLB Georgia

With the Patriots second first round pick they add a perfect complement to Jermaine Cunningham with Houston who is a big physical pass rusher, and a great fit at OLB in the Pats defense.

29. Chicago – Muhammad Wilkerson (JR) DT Temple

The Bears defense is getting up in years and with Tommie Harris getting released there is a big need at defensive tackle. So far this off season nobody’s stock has risen as far as Wilkerson, and he would be a great addition to an already solid unit.

30. New York Jets – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona

With Kris Jenkins gone the Jets need a NT, but they could add one later. FS could be upgraded with either Aaron Williams or Rahim Moore, but they really need a weakside rusher with Jason Taylor getting the axe. Brooks Reed has is a relentless pass rusher who could complement Calvin Pace quite nicely.

31. Pittsburgh – Aaron Williams (jr) CB/FS Texas

Ryan Clark is getting up there in years and the entire corner corps got victimized in the super bowl. Williams is exactly the type of player that the Steelers look for with his aggressive play.

32. Green Bay – Christian Ballard DE Iowa

The Packers made a historic run to the Super Bowl, but with that being said they have some big needs to fill. One of the holes is at defensive end where Cullen Jenkins Might not be back and Johnny Jolly is in trouble with the law again. Ballard would be a great fit as the 5 technique in Green Bays defense. Don’t rule out offensive line here as well.

33. New England(F/Carolina) – Mark Ingram (Jr) RB Alabama

A top 15 talent not a huge need but talent too good to pass up here.

34. Buffalo – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State

Whoever the QB is in Buffalo they need to find him some protection.

35. Cincinnati – Rahim Moore (JR) FS UCLA

This Ballhawk would help shore up that safety corps.

36. Denver – Brandon Harris (JR) CB Miami

Longterm replacement for Champ Bailey.

37. Cleveland – Marvin Austin DT North Carolina

Swtiching back to the 4-3 Austin is the type of quick penetrating DT the system needs.

38. Arizona – Stephen Wisniewski OG/C Penn State

Interrior offensive line help is a big need.

39. Tennessee – Ryan Mallet(JR) QB Arkansas

Potential QB of the future in Tennessee.

40. Dallas – Clint Boling OT/OG Georgia

Time to start replacing the aging offensive line in Dallas.

41. Washington – Christian Ponder QB Florida State

Good fit for the Redskins offense.

42. Houston – Stephen Paea NT Oregon State

The Texans find their NT for their new defense.

43. Minnesota – Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa

Vikings find their QB here

44. Detroit – Ras I Dowling CB Virginia

Help for the league’s worst pass defense.

45. San Francisco – Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada

Very intriguing QB prospect huge upside and a guy Harbaugh really likes.

46. Denver(F/MIA) – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

Adds a great all around threat at the TE position.

47. St. Louis – Torrey Smith (JR) WR Maryland

Time to start adding weapons for their young QB.

48. Oakland – Danny Watkins OG Baylor

With Robert Gallery leaving as a free agent there is a big need at guard, and there just isn’t a corner that’s fast enough for this pick.

49. Jacksonville – Leonard Hankerson WR Miami

Mike Sims-Walker will not be back which leaves the Jags with a big hole at WR.

50. San Diego – Martez Wilson (JR) ILB Illinois

A big athletic linebacker to add to the corps in San Diego.

51. Tampa Bay – Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina

Athletic linebacker to add to the young defense in Tampa great value would have been a first round pick if not for his injury.

52. New York Giants – Corey Liuget (Jr) DT Illinois

Some youth injected into the defensive tackle position.

53. Indianapolis – Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State

Good fit for the Colts line eventual replacement for Jeff Saturday could start at guard early.

54. Philadelphia – Johnny Patrick CB Louisville

Need a replacement for Ellis Hobbs

55. Kansas City – Jon Baldwin (JR) WR Pittsburgh

Big target to help take the pressure off of Bowe.

56. New Orleans – Mason Foster OLB Washington

Fills a big need at OLB also has leadership qualities.

57. Seattle – Orlando Franklin OT/OG Miami

Big upgrade added to the offensive line.

58. Baltimore – Mikel Leshoure (JR) RB Illinois

With Willis Mcgahee gone they need someone to take the pressure off Ray Rice and he is the top player left on the board.

59. Atlanta – Allen Bailey DE Miami

Fits a need and a big time boom or bust pick.

60. New England – Jarvis Jenkins DT Clemson

High rising player could fit in at any of the 3-4 defensive line spots.

61. San Diego – Ben Ijalana OT/OG Villanova

This year’s small school sleeper could start at a lot of different spots for the Chargers.

62. Chicago – Tandon Doss WR Indiana

Big Physical receiver for Jay Cutler to throw to.

63. Pittsburgh – James Carpenter OT/OG Alabama

Versatile piece to add to the offensive line.

64. Green Bay – Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh

Complement to Clay Matthews on the otherside.

wicket
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I would scream if you would have the saints picking a safety but these are very solid picks

Menardo75
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I would scream if you would have the saints picking a safety but these are very solid picks

People that say the Saints need a safety don't watch Saints games.

Tom Servo
04-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Acceptable Browns draft. Haven't really watched Austin tho, and as such would prefer Liuget...though that could be the ol' Big Ten bias kickin in

Menardo75
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Acceptable Browns draft. Haven't really watched Austin tho, and as such would prefer Liuget...though that could be the ol' Big Ten bias kickin in

I actually had Liuget there yesterday, but with how much Austins stock is rising he might go to that pick or even earlier.

ChicagoBearsVet23
04-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Good Bears picks

Tom Servo
04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Either way you nailed the positions of need.

Pat Sims 90
04-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Not a Fan of Newton but that would be a Mike Brown pick.

FS is not a big of need as it was last with the Bengals acquiring Reggie Nelson he played well enough in Zimmers scheme to warrant a starting spot this year. SS is a bigger need because Roy Williams and Nduke are both FA and they both suck. I see the Bengals taking a OL in the 2nd if they take a QB in the 1st because OL is the biggest weakest on this team.

drd23
04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I would rather take Jabaal Sheard than Mikel Leshoure in the second because the pass rush is a much bigger need than RB, his positional value is higher and because there are quite a few #2/#3 type RBs available later in the draft.

Jimmy Smith is a good pick in the first for the Ravens although Wilkerson and Houston would also be strong possibilities

Babylon
04-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Seattle

Locker and Franklin would be a great couple of picks at the top of the draft. I doubt Jake will be there with so many teams needing QBs and him throwing much better as of late but would love to see him here.

coordinator0
04-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I would rather take Jabaal Sheard than Mikel Leshoure in the second because the pass rush is a much bigger need than RB, his positional value is higher and because there are quite a few #2/#3 type RBs available later in the draft.

Jimmy Smith is a good pick in the first for the Ravens although Wilkerson and Houston would also be strong possibilities

This. RB isn't going to be a big need for us, if McGahee is gone it's very likely that LeRon McClain will be back and have a role similar to what he had a couple of years ago where he carried the ball a lot (and was effective in doing so).

T-RICH49
04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
the more I think about Baldwin the less likely it is I think we draft him.some character ?'s may make KC pass

vidae
04-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I like Phil in the first but would prefer Ijalana in the second.

rawdawg
04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Good Bears picks

Yeah, I think the opposite. Liuget is a better pick than Wilkerson, though I do like Wilkerson a lot also. Doss is a major reach in the 2nd. If the Bears come out of the first 2 rounds with 0 OL picks, I will hurt someone.