PDA

View Full Version : Late Night 4/10 End of Spring break sadness mock

Heisman
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
This is my first ever 2 round mock draft, and to be honest I'm not extremely happy with how it turned out. There are some picks that go against the norm here and I'm not really sure if it's a good thing. So anyway, here you go guys. Just make sure if you don't like a selection, tell me who you would have taken instead. This draft did not have projected trades.

2011 NFL Mock Draft

1. Carolina Panthers: AJ Green, WR, Georgia

-I know everybody thinks that Cam Newton is a lock here, but I donít. Panthers interest in Cam Newton? Smoke screen. Trent Richardson has historically been a conservative drafter and will be scared away by Newtonís character concerns; they are too risky for the #1 overall pick. They are trying to bait the Bills into trading up because the Panthers have the pick narrowed down to 3 guys: Green, Peterson, and Dareus and would love to select one of the blue-chip prospects in the draft while picking up the second round pick they lack.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

-A safe pick, which could be viewed as boring. The Broncos need help on D and Dareus is the safest choice. The Broncos want to move down but it probably isnít happening, so they will bite the bullet and take Dareus here.

3. Buffalo Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

-The Bills are patient and get the QB they coveted all along. He can be groomed behind Fitzpatrick for a year and then take the NFL by storm the following season (or at least thatís the plan). Probably the best possible landing spot for Cam.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

-No, the pick isnít Blaine Gabbert. Mike Brown refuses to lose the stand-off with his star QB so he will take a QB later in the draft instead. The Bengals wanted Green but since he is off the board, they take the next best thing in Julio Jones. There have been rumblings that they like Julio more than Green anyway. After all, he did run a 4.39 on a broken foot.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

-Again, a team passes on Blaine Gabbert. I believe that the Cardinals will target Kevin Kolb, and probably give up something similar to their 2nd rounder next year to obtain him; or sign a player like Bulger or Hasselback to call signals until Skelton is ready. Thatís all speculation however, but this isnít: Rush outside-linebacker is this teamís #1 draft need and Von Miller is considered the best, and surest rush outside-linebacker in the draft. Match made in draft heaven.

6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
-An elite pass-rusher in a league with a premium on pass-rushing. Bowers would have made sense here but his injury is a big-time concern. I wouldnít be surprised one bit if the Vikings swap 1stís and throw in a 2nd to get the QB they covet in Gabbert, but I believe that the Vikings FO wants to draft several starts in this draft, which isnít possible without premium picks. With this selection, Cleveland now has 50% of an NFL-Caliber defensive line.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

-An all-around playmaker to add to a secondary that lacks them. I doubt there will be many disappointed 49ers fans with this pick. Dream scenario.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

-New regime, Blaine Gabbert on the board, heís the pickóright? No. Nick Fairley has elite foot speed and the Titans jump at the chance to add him to their D-line. The Titans FO has already identified the QB they want, and it isnít Gabbert. They pass here.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

-He tweeted it so it must be true. lol

10. Washington Redskins: Tyron Smith, OT, USC

-There arenít any good WRís on the board at this point and I donít think they are drafting a QB (McNabb has $40 mil in guaranteed money. They arenít gonna pay that price to cut him and no team will trade for him. Theyíre stuck). They need O-line help and Tyron Smith and Trent Williams are 2 awesome bookends that are athletic and fit Shanahanís scheme.

11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

-They need a CB bad. Kareem Jackson was disappointing. They get a #1 corner here. Yay!

12. Minnesota Vikings: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

-Iím a Vikings fan so this pick might be called homer-ish, but I went purely on a pick-by-pick basis and it ended up this way. I was expecting myself to give this team Locker so Iím surprised too. Basically this is a dream scenario for the Vikings, they get a young QB who can step in and lead right away. If he fell this far I would expect the Vikes to trade up for him a lot earlier, but Iím not projecting trades in this mock.

13. Detroit Lions: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

-The members of DC hate this guy and think he is a huge bust, but I like him. Iím with the Scott Wright train of thinking that ďPlayers know players,Ē and other players think Solder is a beast. This gives the Lions an awesome, athletic LT to protect Matt Stafford, which is clearly quite necessary.

14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

-The WRís are loooong gone and Liuget its right in to Spagnoloís pressure scheme. This is one of those picks that everybody just kind of knows is going to happen.

15. Miami Dolphins: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

-The Dolphins are searching for a young, athletic QB and Locker is the perfect fit. He can sit a year behind Henne to groom his footwork and should make the Dolphins relevant again.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

-This pick just makes way too much sense. A high-character guy at a position of need. I think Kerrigan is supremely underrated and think he will be a stud. Iím hoping he goes to a 4-3 team so his talent isnít wasted.

17. New England Patriots (f/OAK): Cameron Jordan, DE, California

-An absolute stud. He is awesome on film, awesome at the Senior Bowl, and awesome off the field. Plus, heís versatile. Bill Belicheck strikes again.

18. San Diego Chargers: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

-San Diego is looking to make a splash, but they just stand pat and draft an absolute stud of a 5-tech at their pick.

19. New York Giants: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

-O-line help for the G-Men. Heís a great run-blocker for a run-first team. Whatís not to like?

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DaíQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson

-An elite talent at DE falls all the way to the Buccaneers at #20 so they snatch him up here. He is a plug-and-play player who can start from day 1.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

-Last time I posted this I called the pick boring and every Chiefs fan agreed with me but loved it anyway so Iím doing it again!

22. Indianapolis Colts: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

-This just seems like such a Colts-type pick. They need O-line help and they get it here from Castonzo who can play either right or left tackle.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

-With all these DEís, someone is about to fall, and in this case it is Aldon Smith. Andy Reid loves to add to the trenches and Aldon Smith is versatile and will be a beast in this pressure-based system. Kid can get after the QB.

24. New Orleans Saints: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

-A workhorse to pound the rock. A very solid complement to Reggie Bush and will put some more gas in this high-octane offense.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

-Pete Carroll doesnít seem like a guy who cares much about character concerns, and I think this is the player they are targeting at pick #25. Heís got a cannon for an arm and there arenít a whole lot of throws he canít make.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

-The Ravensí roster is thirsting for tall cornerbacks. Based on talent alone I think this is a great value and fit for the Ravens.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

-A player to help out the pass rush for the Falcons. I like the fit at DE in a 4-3 front and think he can really help this team.

28. New England Patriots: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

-I really like this first round for the Patriots, they pick up 2 players who I think are the closest things to locks to be pro-bowlers as you can find. Watkins can step in instantly and produce.

29. Chicago Bears: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

-Will their GM draft O-Line? They should, thatís for sure. It would be really hard to pass up Sherrod here, no matter how much he may hate addressing key team needs.

30. New York Jets: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

-Jetsí 1st round draft strategy: BDLA-Best D-lineman available. Some might argue Wilkerson is a better fit but I like Heyward better as a 3-tech,

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU

-A big mauler offensive lineman with a Steeler attitude. Mike Tomlin is a master motivator and will get the most out of this player. The Steelers basically said they will draft Pouncey if he is here at 31, which means they do think Guard is a team need. Enter Cannon.

32. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

-The Packers need an OLB across from Matthews, and I think that Ayers is a perfect fit. The Packers defense likes to run many crazy schemes, and Ayers has the versatility to fit all of them. He can rush the passer, he is good in coverage; heís a swiss army knife in a uniform. I donít think he would make a great pick as a main pressure guy in a 3-4 (a la Matthews), but as the second OLB I think he is a great fit.

33. New England Patriots: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
34. Buffalo Bills: Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois
35. Cincinnati Bengals: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
36. Denver Broncos: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
37. Cleveland Browns: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
38. Arizona Cardinals: Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova
39. Tennessee Titans: Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada
40. Dallas Cowboys: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
41. Washington Redskins: Jabaal Sheard, OLB, Pittsburgh
42. Houston Texans: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
43. Minnesota Vikings: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
44. Detroit Lions: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
45. San Francisco 49ers: Ricky Stanzi, QB Iowa
46. Denver Broncos: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
47. St. Louis Rams: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
48. Oakland Raiders: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
50. San Diego Chargers: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
52. New York Giants: Aaron Williams, DB, Texas
53. Indianapolis Colts: Clint Boling, OL, Georgia
54. Philadelphia Eagles: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
55. Kansas City Chiefs: Titus Young, WR, Boise State
56. New Orleans Saints: Mason Foster, LB, Washington
57. Seattle Seahawks: Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami
58. Baltimore Ravens: Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
59. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
60. New England Patriots: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma
61. San Diego Chargers: Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
62. Chicago Bears: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
64. Green Bay Packers: Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State

Orakpowned
04-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Wrong about McNabb. His new contract is made where they can cut him without having to pay him. :)

Heisman
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Wrong about McNabb. His new contract is made where they can cut him without having to pay him. :)

Wow thanks, that's actually extremely useful information! Thank you, Nick

Orakpowned
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow thanks, that's actually extremely useful information! Thank you, Nick

You're welcome.

In fact, unless a CBA is miraculously agreed to before the draft, they're going to release him. There's a slight chance they'll still attempt to trade him, but options will be MUCH more limited after the draft.

niel89
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I love the reasoning for the Ravens first pick. The team has stated multiple times that they want to get bigger at CB

Pat Sims 90
04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Don't see the Bengals passing on Gabbert in the 1st Because Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are saying that they are treating Carson as he is retired and Mike Brown loves to draft QBs in the 1st.

fed36
04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Actually mcnabb's contract is not guaranteed for the 40 million....if they cut him before next season i think it is only $5 million guaranteed....normally i dont suggest the redskins take a qb in the first.....but with how your mock has gone....I would take Gabbert in the first or if not qb then aldon smith for olb....i definitely think they have too many holes to take a tackle again in the first round this year. take gabbert in the first then give the skins hankerson in the second round

Orakpowned
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Actually mcnabb's contract is not guaranteed for the 40 million....if they cut him before next season i think it is only $5 million guaranteed....normally i dont suggest the redskins take a qb in the first.....but with how your mock has gone....I would take Gabbert in the first or if not qb then aldon smith for olb....i definitely think they have too many holes to take a tackle again in the first round this year. take gabbert in the first then give the skins hankerson in the second round

If they cut McNabb before his roster bonus is due, they don't owe him a penny.

And if Robert Quinn is at 10, he'll be a Redskin. If not, they're trading down.

Heisman
04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
If they cut McNabb before his roster bonus is due, they don't owe him a penny.

And if Robert Quinn is at 10, he'll be a Redskin. If not, they're trading down.

If they trade down how far do you think they would trade down? And what player/position would they be targeting?

Orakpowned
04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
If they trade down how far do you think they would trade down? And what player/position would they be targeting?

To 14 with the Rams.

And the best available OLB/DL.

wicket
04-11-2011, 12:24 AM
mason foster is a fine pick, ingram is a terrible terrible pick

49erNation85
04-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Solid 9ers draft tho it could go either Stanzi or Dalton at this point.

StrikeAnywhere
04-11-2011, 01:16 AM
36. Denver Broncos: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

Good Denver draft overall, this pick is a bit ho-hum. There are a lot of good defensive players left on your board that would make a far bigger impact on our team and provide good value. If Paea is there at 36, I'd be a bit surprised if they let him pass by to be honest. Getting him at 46 is a steal.

akvikefan89
04-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Love the Vikings picks.

Orakpowned
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Tyron Smith likely won't be the pick, either.

They're likely going to sign Ryan Harris when FA eventually starts.

T-RICH49
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
love KC's draft

DiG
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
To 14 with the Rams.

And the best available OLB/DL.

hear they like kerrigan a good deal in a trade down. cam jordan and jj watt would be other possibilities

Orakpowned
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
hear they like kerrigan a good deal in a trade down. cam jordan and jj watt would be other possibilities

If he's the best available on their board if they trade down, he'll be their guy. :)

1. Robert Quinn
2. Best of the rest of the DL/OLB

That's pretty much what it is right now.

ChicagoBearsVet23
04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Very nice Bears picks

K Train
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
pretty solid steeler mock...im not thrilled about cannon at 31 but brown makes up for it

indyfan1985
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Love the 1st rounder for the Colts in getting Anthony Castonzo!

For the 2nd, its not a bad pick, its just that I would rather go with either WR Titus Young, Torrey Smith, or DT Marvin Austin since we already went OL round 1.

BradysKnee
04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Demarco Murray over Mikel Lashoure?

TheFinisher
04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
9. Dallas Cowboys: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

-He tweeted it so it must be true. lol

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wom0w6.gif