PDA

View Full Version : Favorite to pick #1 overall in the 2012 draft?

JBCX
04-13-2011, 03:34 PM
At this point, I'd have to go with the Tennessee Titans after everything that's happened to them since the conclusion of the 2010 season.

- They have an entirely new coaching staff. By default, every team with a new coaching staff will struggle more than the other teams in the 2011 season because of the lockout restricting training time during the off-season. And the coach they promoted from within, Mike Munchak, is entirely unproven. He may be great, or he may be an epic failure. He has no pedigree outside of the Titans organization, so we have no idea how he'll do, unlike someone such as Jon Harbaugh, who has proven himself to be an elite coach on at least the college level.

- Their QB situation is in a state of extreme flux. Vince Young is not going to be a Titan in 2011, which leaves them with Rusty Smith and Kerry Collins, unless they pick a QB with their first round draft choice. I can guarantee you that the combination of Rusty Smith and Kerry Collins is taking you absolutely nowhere, and there is no rookie QB in the 2011 draft class that will do anything of note in his rookie season.

- Their WR corps is probably going to stink next year. Randy Moss is gone, and Kenny Britt seems to be doing his best Aqib Talib / Dez Bryant impression. A bad QB throwing to some JAG WRs? Teams will stack the box to stop Chris Johnson and the 2011 Titans basically turn into the 2010 Panthers.

- The defense, especially the defensive line, is also in a state of flux. Key free agents will be leaving this team in the off-season. Jason Babin was their best pass rusher, and maybe best defensive player, last season. He's a free agent, and based on comments made by Bud Adams, the new coach, and Babin himself, the likelihood of Tennessee signing him to a long-term contract is slim. Dave Ball, their second most productive pass rusher last year, is also a free agent. Their only other potential impact DE is their first round pick in 2010, Derrick Morgan, who tore his ACL early in the season and will likely not be playing at full strength until the 2012 season. Jason Jones, their best DT, is also highly injury-prone and hardly ever plays a full season's worth of games. Even if they draft a DT or DE this year in the first round, their defensive line will be depleted. And I didn't even mention that they lost their defensive line coach Jim Washburn, who was widely considered one of the best at his job.

Who do you think will be the favorite to pick #1 overall in next year's draft and why?

PackerLegend
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
The Vikings..... I dont actually think it will happen but one can hope.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
It certainly won't be Tennessee unless their new HC absolutely stinks.
Buffalo, Cincy, Denver, Oakland, Washington, Arizona, and Seattle all look worse than Tennessee. It will depend on where Gabbert, Newton, Kolb, McNabb , Palmer, Hasselbach, VY and possibly Flynn end up. The losers will all contend for the #1 overall pick. Of course, you need a little luck(bad) to win the pick.
I didn't include Tennessee or Minny because they can turn to their RB to carry them to a few extra wins.

ChiFan24
04-13-2011, 04:07 PM
The Vikings..... I dont actually think it will happen but one can hope.

You hope the Vikings get Andrew Luck? **** that, I hope they go 7-9.

Tennessee's not a bad pick, but it's hard to say without knowing the QB situation of ~10 different teams.

Pat Sims 90
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
This is question to ask after the Draft and FA are finished.

JBCX
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
It certainly won't be Tennessee unless their new HC absolutely stinks.
Buffalo, Cincy, Denver, Oakland, Washington, Arizona, and Seattle all look worse than Tennessee. It will depend on where Gabbert, Newton, Kolb, McNabb , Palmer, Hasselbach, VY and possibly Flynn end up. The losers will all contend for the #1 overall pick. Of course, you need a little luck(bad) to win the pick.
I didn't include Tennessee or Minny because they can turn to their RB to carry them to a few extra wins.

- Buffalo's QB situation is much better than Tennessee's. They actually have a stable coaching system in place which will only improve next year.

- Denver, also, has a stable if somewhat mediocre QB situation. Nothing like the trainwreck of Rusty Smith/Kerry Collins.

- Oakland was one of the better teams last year. Their roster is more talented than most teams in the NFL. They have loads of talented young skill players and Jason Campbell is in the "Kyle Orton / Ryan Fitzpatrick" boat of "nothing special but infinitely better than Rusty Smith or Kerry Collins"

- I'll give you Arizona and Washington, and maybe Seattle because they have the same basic problem with their QB situation.

You grossly overestimate the ability of a RB to contribute to win totals when the QB stinks. Teams stack the box against a team with a bad QB and it doesn't matter how good the RB is, because he isn't getting any yards. Did you see what happened to the Panthers vaunted rushing attack last year without even competent QB play? The same thing will happen to Chris Johnson that happened to Dangelo Williams & co.

49erNation85
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Sadly I hate to say SF if we can't find a QB this year or some one to step in it is going to be a train wreck.But hopefully we can make the play offs at least I would be happy camper.

Halsey
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Cinccy. Even if they bring in a talented QB, he probably won't have a Sam Bradford type rookie season. I'm guessing Palmer is truely done there.

Mr.Regular
04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Washington.
They may have to roll with Sexy Rexy at QB...the offense has no dynamic weapons, the line still has question mark.
Defensively, they still seem lost. Could use quite a bit of help at all levels.

descendency
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll be happy to pick after the draft. The Bengals shouldn't be overlooked. Their WRs are going to be crap. Their QB is retiring. Their running backs will suffer. Their OL is shaky. They play in the same division as the Ravens, Steelers, and improving Browns.

The defense is easily their best side of the ball and a well placed injury could submarine that even.

yodabear
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Its so beautiful the three other teams in our division have been mentioned in this thread, and we have not. That is great. I ******* LOVE U SAM BRADFORD

Anyway tho, I think it will be Washington. Please don't yell at me! But who is gonna be their QB? The only ones there now are McNabb and John Beck. McNabb is going to Arizona, Minnesota, or somewhere else. He is not gonna be there. They play in that tough division with the Eagles, Giants, and rejuvinated Cowboys. I think Shannahan's magic is gone, its over. And then what about running backs? I gotta go with the Skins currently.

Babylon
04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Got to go with the NFC West to represent. Last day of the season 4 teams still in both the division and #1 pick race. Gotta love it.

descendency
04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Got to go with the NFC West to represent. Last day of the season 4 teams still in both the division and #1 pick race. Gotta love it.

It would be awesome if somehow they could all be competing for #1 overall and the division crown... 1 team picks #1, two more top 5, and the last picks 20th or higher.

PackerLegend
04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
You hope the Vikings get Andrew Luck? **** that, I hope they go 7-9.

Tennessee's not a bad pick, but it's hard to say without knowing the QB situation of ~10 different teams.

Just because they could get a QB thats suppose to be a franchise QB doesnt mean he will be. Besides if they got they number 1 pick they would not have over 2 or 3 wins. That would make me very very happy.

Caulibflower
04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Cinccy. Even if they bring in a talented QB, he probably won't have a Sam Bradford type rookie season. I'm guessing Palmer is truely done there.

This. For one thing, they won't win a single division game without a miracle taking place. Like, the Pope would actually have to be involved for them to beat anyone in their division. And yes, I am implying that I think the Colt McCoy-led Browns will be that much better than the Palmer-less Bengals next year. For as mediocre as he's seemed lately, that offense simply doesn't work without him. Unless they draft Cam Newton. Then all bets are off.

Scotty D
04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
San Francisco - Harbaugh reunites with Luck

Cincy - Could lose Palmer, Benson, Joseph, Ocho, TO

yodabear
04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Actually, u know what. I am gonna go off the wall here. The New England Patriots.

The NFL season get cancelled due to the lockout. They decide to have a "random" draw order. New England wins it, they get the 1 pick.

Dam8610
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
As long as it's an NFC team and Luck declares, I'll be happy. Slightly less happy if it's a non-AFC South AFC team, and rooting for bust status or Luck to stay in school if it's an AFC South team.

Iamcanadian
04-14-2011, 12:43 AM
- Buffalo's QB situation is much better than Tennessee's. They actually have a stable coaching system in place which will only improve next year.

As long as Ralph Wilson owns the team, nothing is stable in Buffalo. He's cheap, cheap and cheaper and doesn't retain his stars.

- Denver, also, has a stable if somewhat mediocre QB situation. Nothing like the trainwreck of Rusty Smith/Kerry Collins.

At least Kerry Collins took them to the playoffs a couple of years ago and I won't be shocked if Denver surprises and drafts Gabbert/Newton this year. Elway is looking for a new face for the franchise so it isn't out of the question.

- Oakland was one of the better teams last year. Their roster is more talented than most teams in the NFL. They have loads of talented young skill players and Jason Campbell is in the "Kyle Orton / Ryan Fitzpatrick" boat of "nothing special but infinitely better than Rusty Smith or Kerry Collins"

Oakland fired their HC for bringing the team back to respectability because he wouldn't follow Al Davis's orders. Jackson, their new HC is scraping the bottom of the barrel and I expect them to self destruct next season. They could be the front runner to get the #1 pick again.

- I'll give you Arizona and Washington, and maybe Seattle because they have the same basic problem with their QB situation.

You grossly overestimate the ability of a RB to contribute to win totals when the QB stinks. Teams stack the box against a team with a bad QB and it doesn't matter how good the RB is, because he isn't getting any yards. Did you see what happened to the Panthers vaunted rushing attack last year without even competent QB play? The same thing will happen to Chris Johnson that happened to Dangelo Williams & co.

Carolina suffered a lot of injuries to their RB's last year so they aren't a good example and Moore is no Collins. Pittsburgh won a Super Bowl when Roethlisberger was a rookie depending on the run and great defense to win games. Collins is a mediocre starter but he is a decent long passer who has to be somewhat respected if he can stay healthy.
A good running game can open up passing lanes for even mediocre QB's like Collins if teams don't respect his passing abilities. He's proved that in the past.
I'm not saying Tennessee will be a playoff team but I believe they could still win 5 or 6 games, more than enough to escape the #1 overall pick if Munchuk can coach.
Oakland is my favourite because their HC has proven zip and the players will be thinking, 'here we go again, why bother'!
Of course, little is know about just where all the FA QB's will end up. How much cap space does Tennessee have with the cutting of VY, they may well be able to afford a high priced FA QB.

SubNoize
04-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Oakland is my favourite because their HC has proven zip and the players will be thinking, 'here we go again, why bother'!

I'm sorry, but that is the one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. Really? All the players are going to mail it in because there's a new coach? It's not like he was on the staff last year or anything right? I mean he only increased the offense from 197 points in 2009 to 410 in 2010, really that's nothing. Yep might as well just pack it up and call it a season because old Hue Jackson is coming in to do his Art Shell part deux impression.

Oh and the whole Oakland fired their coach for bringing them back to respectability thing... It couldn't have been the piss poor decision of QB juggling all season by Tom Cable could it? Do you think trying to make Kwame Harris your starting LT was a mistake? How about playing a rookie tackle at C for the season opener? Punching another member of the coaching staff? Flying hookers to the hotel on road trips? Nah, it was all not taking orders from Al, that's the ticket.

AntoinCD
04-14-2011, 02:51 AM
I dont think it will be an NFC West team. Due to each of them having 6 games against not great teams within the division I think they will all win just enough games to take them out of the running.

Im gonna say Cleveland. They play in a tough division with an unproven head coach, their QB while impressive last year has limited physical tools and no weapons(may change after the draft) to throw to, and their defense is changing to a 43 with really no front 7 players who fit a 43.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Carolina suffered a lot of injuries to their RB's last year so they aren't a good example and Moore is no Collins. Pittsburgh won a Super Bowl when Roethlisberger was a rookie depending on the run and great defense to win games. Collins is a mediocre starter but he is a decent long passer who has to be somewhat respected if he can stay healthy.
A good running game can open up passing lanes for even mediocre QB's like Collins if teams don't respect his passing abilities. He's proved that in the past.
I'm not saying Tennessee will be a playoff team but I believe they could still win 5 or 6 games, more than enough to escape the #1 overall pick if Munchuk can coach.
Of course, little is know about just where all the FA QB's will end up. How much cap space does Tennessee have with the cutting of VY, they may well be able to afford a high priced FA QB.

Tennessee has no talent on its defensive line that isn't going to be either recovering from an injury or leaving in free agency. The Titans defense will be absymal next year.

Because the defense will give up lots of yards and TDs, the Titans offense will be forced to pass the ball frequently to stay in the game, and Collins is a statue who crumbles under pressure. He's going to either be injured or somehow implode, and then Rusty Smith or a rookie QB will be their only other option at that point.

I seriously struggle to see how the Titans will even win 3 or more games next year barring some dramatic developments like a trade for Kevin Kolb or something like that.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry, but that is the one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. Really? All the players are going to mail it in because there's a new coach? It's not like he was on the staff last year or anything right? I mean he only increased the offense from 197 points in 2009 to 410 in 2010, really that's nothing. Yep might as well just pack it up and call it a season because old Hue Jackson is coming in to do his Art Shell part deux impression.

Exactly. We don't know how Hue Jackson will do, but what we do know is that Oakland is *loaded* with lots of young talented players on both sides of the ball. Despite what some people think, Oakland is a highly talented team. They were held back the past 3-4 years by possibly the worst or second worst QB draft bust in the history of the NFL.

stephenson86
04-14-2011, 07:53 AM
If it's Tennessee I will wear a sig declaring my undying love for the Steelers. We are in a much better situation than the teams beneath us in the draft (bar maybe the 49ers) I just can't see us not winning 6 games, we still have CJ and our defense always shows up for some games.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
If it's Tennessee I will wear a sig declaring my undying love for the Steelers. We are in a much better situation than the teams beneath us in the draft (bar maybe the 49ers) I just can't see us not winning 6 games, we still have CJ and our defense always shows up for some games.

Again, you grossly overestimate the impact a RB can have if the passing game stinks and the defense is mediocre.

I know for a fact that the defense is going to be mediocre or worse next year: all of the talent on the defensive line is either coming back from injury (Jones, Morgan) or leaving in free agency (Ball, Babin). There is one good linebacker (Tulloch) on the team who may or may not re-sign. Throw in the fact that the coaching staff is entirely new and will have limited time to implement their system due to training camps being eliminated by the lockout... and you have the makings of a disaster.

stephenson86
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Dave Ball is not going to be missed, Babin doesn't fit the scheme our new DL coach runs, Morgan will be fine, Jones will be fine, Brown is still with us, Hayes is coming on, Witherspoon played well last year, McGrath is progressing, Tulloch has less of an impact on the team than you might realize, Finnegan is solid, Verner was a great find, Griffin played great on the back end of last season and Hope although not the best does a job.

Also Johnson isn't just any RB, we will get by with a journeyman at QB, we will not be starting Rusty Smith, Munchack will make sure who ever is under centre can get the ball to receivers.

TheFinisher
04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Far from a favorite but if Dallas gets off to another bad start this season I could see a major fallout throughout the organization, we have some players that will quit (see the JAX and GB games) when **** hits the fan. Romo's coming off a major injury so we don't know for sure how he'll bounce back, the defense was arguably the worst in the NFL and that OL will have aged another season. I don't expect them to tank again this season, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Dave Ball is not going to be missed, Babin doesn't fit the scheme our new DL coach runs, Morgan will be fine, Jones will be fine, Brown is still with us, Hayes is coming on, Witherspoon played well last year, McGrath is progressing, Tulloch has less of an impact on the team than you might realize, Finnegan is solid, Verner was a great find, Griffin played great on the back end of last season and Hope although not the best does a job.

Also Johnson isn't just any RB, we will get by with a journeyman at QB, we will not be starting Rusty Smith, Munchack will make sure who ever is under centre can get the ball to receivers.

- Ball was the second best pass rusher on that team - he won't be missed?
- Babin was a Pro Bowl DE who fits any 4-3 - who are the Titans going to replace him w/?
- How do you know Morgan will be fine after tearing an ACL in his rookie season? These injuries usually take more than a year to recover from - see Osi Umenyiora. Not only that, but he's still basically an unproven rookie who will miss the training camps this season because of the lockout.
- Witherspoon is a slower, aging OLB who tailed off in both of his past two years. You know he'll be fine next year?
- No matter how good a RB is, you can't score points with only Kerry Collins or Rusty Smith as your only QBs. You're delusional if you think otherwise. Teams stack the box with 8 men and that RB has no holes to hit.

Handel
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually, u know what. I am gonna go off the wall here. The New England Patriots.

To have Brady's heir, well I would not say no ;)

thebow305
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I think it will be either Denver or San Francisco.

phlysac
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
It's interesting the the 49ers have won 6 or more games in 4 of the last 5 season with absolutely ZERO identity on offense or continuity in offensive philosophy. I don't know how adding so many offensive minds could possibly allow them to be worse.

jrdrylie
04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
My top-five:

1. Arizona: The Cardinals think they will get Kolb through a trade so they aren't going to draft one. I think Kolb goes elsewhere (AFC team). If that happens, it's going to be ugly Glendale.
2. Cincinnati: This will be especially true if they don't get Gabbert at 4. I truly believe Carson Palmer will not play again for the Bengals. If they have to go with baby brother Palmer or Dan LeFevour, they will win three games max.
3. Dolphins: They will have a rookie at QB and a rookie at RB. I have a feeling their offense is going to be hideous.
4. Tennessee: What does this team really have outside of Chris Johnson?
5. Carolina: They are picking number one this year, so they have to be a contender to do the same next year. Plus they play in a division with three teams that could be in the playoffs. It all depends on whom they draft.

I'll go real ballsy and predict the entire order. 1. Arizona, 2. Cincinnati, 3. Miami, 4. Tennessee, 5. Carolina, 6. Buffalo, 7. San Francisco, 8. Seattle, 9. Washington, 10. Minnesota, 11. Cleveland, 12. Houston, 13. Oakland, 14. Jacksonville, 15. Kansas City, 16. Denver, 17. Detroit, 18. Philadelphia, 19. New York Giants, 20. New Orleans, 21. St. Louis, 22. San Diego, 23. Baltimore, 24. Atlanta, 25. Tampa Bay, 26. New England, 27. Dallas, 28. Pittsburgh, 29. Indianapolis, 30. Green Bay, 31. New York Jets, 32. Chicago

JBCX
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
lol @ Chicago picking 32nd

jrdrylie
04-14-2011, 02:57 PM
lol @ Chicago picking 32nd

Not really. The offensive line will be better, meaning Jay Cutler and the running game will be better. Special teams is still among the top in the league. Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs, while getting older, still have a few top-notch years left. My only concern with them is whether or not they can resign Danieal Manning.

I think Philadelphia falls back (Vick has never put together back-to-back playoff seasons), I think Tampa, St. Louis, and Dallas are still a year away, leaving just Green Bay and Chicago. We've all seen teams suffer from the "Super Bowl Hangover" so I don't think Green Bay returns to the Super Bowl.

JBCX
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, it's not like Chicago took advantage of a weak schedule with fortuituous circumstances to gain the NFC North crown last year or anything. It's also not like their defense is one of the oldest in the NFL next year, and they play in a division full of young teams on the rise (Green Bay and Detroit) either, is it? And their offensive line was one of the worst in the entire NFL last year and really can't be simply "patched up" through the draft? And if they select an offensive linemen in the first round they will miss out on a Tommie Harris replacement, and if they select a DT in the first round their offensive line will likely continue to be abysmal?

Yeah, I'm not really seeing Chicago even making it back into the playoffs next year, to be honest. But if it makes you feel better as a fan, go ahead and be a homer. :)

jrdrylie
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Well, it's not like Chicago took advantage of a weak schedule with fortuituous circumstances to gain the NFC North crown last year or anything. It's also not like their defense is one of the oldest in the NFL next year, and they play in a division full of young teams on the rise (Green Bay and Detroit) either, is it? And their offensive line was one of the worst in the entire NFL last year and really can't be simply "patched up" through the draft? And if they select an offensive linemen in the first round they will miss out on a Tommie Harris replacement, and if they select a DT in the first round their offensive line will likely continue to be abysmal?

Yeah, I'm not really seeing Chicago even making it back into the playoffs next year, to be honest. But if it makes you feel better as a fan, go ahead and be a homer. :)

People always bring up an easy schedule, but that is a bit deceiving. Chicago and Green Bay had 12 common opponents. Add in the two games they played against each other and their schedules only differed by two games. So it isn't like the schedules were that much different. And in the common games (including the two against each other) Chicago was 10-4 while Green Bay was 9-5, so it isn't like the two teams were that far apart.

Their offensive line was much better as the season went on. A second year with Martz and Tice will make them even better. Add in a second round pick at Guard and they will be fine. Will they have one of the top lines in football? No, but it will be much better than last year. That allows them to get a guy like Wilkerson, Liuget, or Paea in round one.

The Bears are the popular pick to miss the playoffs next year. But when you look at their schedule, it isn't likely. Home against Minnesota, Seattle, Detroit, and Carolina will very likely be wins. On the road, they should beat Oakland, Denver, and Minnesota. They should split with Green Bay, win against either Kansas City or San Diego at home, meaning they only need to beat New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Detroit, or Philadelphia to get to 10-6 and most likely make the playoffs.

Crazy_Chris
04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I know it's a slow offseason this year... But it doesn't make much sense to speculate on who will have the #1 pick in 2012 before the 2011 draft and free agency.

dannyz
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Its fun to think about the Future. I could see the Broncos or 49ERS but they could also trade up to get Luck because I bet they both want him really bad. I could also see the Redskins, No QB/RB/O-Line/WR/D-Line.

Preston
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Washington or Cincinnati.

RealityCheck
04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I'll pick the Panthers to pick #1 again.

dannyz
04-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I'll pick the Panthers to pick #1 again.

They would be screwed though if they take Cam Newton this year. You can't have Luck/Newton/Clausen all on the same Roster with only one being on the Field at once.

Roddoliver
04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Arizona Cardinals.

DoughBoy
04-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Again, you grossly overestimate the impact a RB can have if the passing game stinks and the defense is mediocre.

I know for a fact that the defense is going to be mediocre or worse next year: all of the talent on the defensive line is either coming back from injury (Jones, Morgan) or leaving in free agency (Ball, Babin). There is one good linebacker (Tulloch) on the team who may or may not re-sign. Throw in the fact that the coaching staff is entirely new and will have limited time to implement their system due to training camps being eliminated by the lockout... and you have the makings of a disaster.

I lost all respect for you for refering to Tulloch as a "good linebacker". Also didn't know Jason Jones and Tony brown are hurt... oh wait... they aren't.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I completely agree with your write up regarding Tennessee, they do look pretty bad.

I'd also throw in Miami and Cincinnati to land the #1 overall pick.

cunningham06
04-17-2011, 05:49 PM
- Babin was a Pro Bowl DE who fits any 4-3 - who are the Titans going to replace him w/?

The Titans have some big question marks coming up this season, but I don't see them having the worst record in the NFL.

You vastly overrate Jason Babin. He certainly does not fit any 4-3, look at his time in Seattle, Kansas City, and Philadelphia. He bounced around until he found the perfect system for him, and now that's changed. He had a flash in the pan type season, but he's not some sort of stalwart starter that is irreplaceable.

Plus I just like to pour on the haterade on Babin since he was a colossal bust in Houston.

Anyway this kind of speculation before the draft occurs is a bit of a waste of time. A good draft can propel a team to the next level like what occurred with the 2007 Giants.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
New England after they hustle some team to give them their 1st round pick

J-Mike88
04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I completely agree with your write up regarding Tennessee, they do look pretty bad.

I'd also throw in Miami and Cincinnati to land the #1 overall pick.
I don't see Miami that low. Plus they get 2 games against the Bills.
I still can't f***** believe the Packers only home loss of this past season was to the Dolphins.

someone447
04-17-2011, 07:09 PM
People always bring up an easy schedule, but that is a bit deceiving. Chicago and Green Bay had 12 common opponents. Add in the two games they played against each other and their schedules only differed by two games. So it isn't like the schedules were that much different. And in the common games (including the two against each other) Chicago was 10-4 while Green Bay was 9-5, so it isn't like the two teams were that far apart.

Their offensive line was much better as the season went on. A second year with Martz and Tice will make them even better. Add in a second round pick at Guard and they will be fine. Will they have one of the top lines in football? No, but it will be much better than last year. That allows them to get a guy like Wilkerson, Liuget, or Paea in round one.

The Bears are the popular pick to miss the playoffs next year. But when you look at their schedule, it isn't likely. Home against Minnesota, Seattle, Detroit, and Carolina will very likely be wins. On the road, they should beat Oakland, Denver, and Minnesota. They should split with Green Bay, win against either Kansas City or San Diego at home, meaning they only need to beat New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Detroit, or Philadelphia to get to 10-6 and most likely make the playoffs.

The Bears were among the least injured teams in years. Everyone one of their opening day starters was available for the NFC Championship. I think they will make the playoffs, but they will not get to the NFC Championship game, much less the Super Bowl. They were just WAY too lucky on injuries this past year for it to happen again.

JFLO
04-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm going with Denver here and by a pretty good margin. Kyle Orton, as mediocre as he played last year, won't last that long. Tebow is still 3-4 years away from being a legit QB in the league. That defense, no matter who they add at #2 overall is still awful.

I think behind them would have to be Cincinnati, that's if Carson goes through on his commitment, which I think he will.

MikeTheDudeV2
04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Washington. I just have a feeling that they are going to have a giant collapse.

FTRWRTR
04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Cincy - Bad coach, poorly run franchise, and losing all or at the very least most of their good players. I like luck so for his sake I hope I'm wrong and they draft a qb this year with the #4 pick.

Surprised so many people are picking denver. Both eddie royal and more importantly, elvis dumerveil will be back from injury.

AntoinCD
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm going with Denver here and by a pretty good margin. Kyle Orton, as mediocre as he played last year, won't last that long. Tebow is still 3-4 years away from being a legit QB in the league. That defense, no matter who they add at #2 overall is still awful.

I think behind them would have to be Cincinnati, that's if Carson goes through on his commitment, which I think he will.

I disagree with Denver. If they go DT with 2 of their first 3 picks as I think they will then they should have a pretty good defensive line. Ayers at his more natural LE and Doom at RE with say Dareus and Nevis at DT should greatly improve both their run defense and pass rush. Then if they add someone like Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams their secondary should be better. Plus if they add a talent like Bruce Carter in the third then their overall defense should be pretty solid with a lot of potential.

Offensively I doubt they will be in the top half of the league but they should still be able to win between 5 and 8 games IMO

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Minnesota Vikings- Aged on both sides of the line. Who is their QB? Will Sydney Rice still be the same player? They have a lot of questions and i think with the division they play in it will set them up to finish with the number 1 pick.

bigbuc
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Or the Colts? Manning could go down in the first game of the season... Best part of the NFL s that no one knows.

CashmoneyDrew
04-22-2011, 02:09 PM

No. Just, no.

But I do agree on the Titans being pretty bad this year. I want Luck so bad.

TitanHope
04-22-2011, 03:26 PM
- Their WR corps is probably going to stink next year. Randy Moss is gone, and Kenny Britt seems to be doing his best Aqib Talib / Dez Bryant impression. A bad QB throwing to some JAG WRs? Teams will stack the box to stop Chris Johnson and the 2011 Titans basically turn into the 2010 Panthers.

You make a ton of good points, but I have some disagreements. My perspective is probably skewed since the Titans have had crap WR's for the past few years, but I think the WR corps is rock solid. I'm not sure if or how long a suspension Kenny Britt could get for his arrest, but he is a legit #1/go-to WR. All VY had to do was throw it up and Britt would come down with it. Nate Washington is a solid #2/deep threat WR. He kinda gets hated on by Titans fans, but I've been pleased with what he's done in TN, sans the occasional drop. Then in the slot there's second year WR Damian Williams, who showed flashes as a rookie. Marc Mariani was a Pro Bowl return man, and you gotta think his opportunities will increase as well. Plus, there's Jared Cook who is basically a giant WR. Forget about Randy Moss - I forget he was even picked up last season, lol.

So yeah, I like our WR corps. Not elite, but definitely not as bad as you make it out to be.

- The defense, especially the defensive line, is also in a state of flux. Key free agents will be leaving this team in the off-season. Jason Babin was their best pass rusher, and maybe best defensive player, last season. He's a free agent, and based on comments made by Bud Adams, the new coach, and Babin himself, the likelihood of Tennessee signing him to a long-term contract is slim. Dave Ball, their second most productive pass rusher last year, is also a free agent. Their only other potential impact DE is their first round pick in 2010, Derrick Morgan, who tore his ACL early in the season and will likely not be playing at full strength until the 2012 season. Jason Jones, their best DT, is also highly injury-prone and hardly ever plays a full season's worth of games. Even if they draft a DT or DE this year in the first round, their defensive line will be depleted. And I didn't even mention that they lost their defensive line coach Jim Washburn, who was widely considered one of the best at his job.

Jason Babin isn't our best defensive player. Dave Ball was the 2nd most productive, but that was a product of the 1-Gap, attacking DL scheme. There's a reason Babin burst out this season. He lined up at the 9-tech, waaaaay outside. Then when the ball snapped, he committed 100% to rushing the passer and using that angle to beat the OT. Morgan played well prior to injury, and his injury happened pretty early. If he was hurt late in the season, I'd be worried. But I think he'll be alright. Maybe not 100% like you said, but by the time the lockout is over, he'll probably have had a year since the injury. And like Stephenson said, the new staff wants bigger DE's and won't be running the DE's out that wide anymore, taking Babin's edge away. Jones is injury prone, but he's a good DT. Tony Brown is hella underrated too, and Sen'Derrick Marks still has potential... *cough*

I'd still love Fairley, Bowers, or Quinn though. Can never have enough pass-rushers.

But yeah, Washburn... :'( Fortunately, I think they made a good hire in Rocker.

- How do you know Morgan will be fine after tearing an ACL in his rookie season? These injuries usually take more than a year to recover from - see Osi Umenyiora. Not only that, but he's still basically an unproven rookie who will miss the training camps this season because of the lockout.
- Witherspoon is a slower, aging OLB who tailed off in both of his past two years. You know he'll be fine next year?
- No matter how good a RB is, you can't score points with only Kerry Collins or Rusty Smith as your only QBs. You're delusional if you think otherwise. Teams stack the box with 8 men and that RB has no holes to hit.

Ball was a product of the scheme, and once the time comes that we can sign guys, I bet we'll bring him back. He's still a backup DE.

Babin was a product of the scheme as well. And he may fit any 4-3, but he sucked everywhere else. He's probably a situational pass-rusher under the new staff/scheme. I think Morgan can become the top pass-rusher and replace Babin, or at least provide consistent pass-rush and still help stop the run.

Some guys have come back early and had no problem. And Morgan is a DE, so he's not going to be making sharp cuts every play. And like I said, if the lockout goes beyond WK 4, then it will be a year since the injury.

In our system, our LB's aren't really important players. The Titans have had some good defenses over the past 5 years. Other than Keith Bulluck, off the top of your head can you name the MLB and LOLB that started with him on that great defenses in '07 and '08.

I agree about the RB, but CJ is a homerun hitter. That's why he's special. They can stack the box and stuff him all game, but all it takes is one play where someone misses their assignment and he's off for a TD. But offenses go as the QB does, and without him, it doesn't matter if CJ gets us a quick TD. We'll need more than 7 points to win.

JBCX
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
You make a ton of good points, but I have some disagreements. My perspective is probably skewed since the Titans have had crap WR's for the past few years, but I think the WR corps is rock solid. I'm not sure if or how long a suspension Kenny Britt could get for his arrest, but he is a legit #1/go-to WR. All VY had to do was throw it up and Britt would come down with it. Nate Washington is a solid #2/deep threat WR. He kinda gets hated on by Titans fans, but I've been pleased with what he's done in TN, sans the occasional drop. Then in the slot there's second year WR Damian Williams, who showed flashes as a rookie. Marc Mariani was a Pro Bowl return man, and you gotta think his opportunities will increase as well. Plus, there's Jared Cook who is basically a giant WR. Forget about Randy Moss - I forget he was even picked up last season, lol.

There's your problem: the stability of the WR corps depends entirely on a wholly undependable person (Britt). Seriously, the kid is flat-out trouble, and you don't even know if he won't be suspended next year.

So yeah, I like our WR corps. Not elite, but definitely not as bad as you make it out to be.

And regardless of how "not bad" the WR corps is next year, the Titans still have NO quarterback. And no, Kerry "Vodka" Collins isn't taking a team anywhere at this stage in his career. And no, Vince Young is never playing a game in a Titans uniform ever again. And no, don't even think about bringing up the (chuckle) potential improvement of Rusty "made the 2010 Houston defense look like the '85 Bears" Smith.

The ability of the 2011 Titans offense to not look like the 2010 Panthers offense hinges entirely on a.) whether the Titans draft a QB in the draft and b.) whether that QB can contribute at all in his rookie season, which is not likely, given the poor crop of QBs in the draft this year and the lockout's effect on training camps and the ability of the coaches to teach the playbook to rookie QBs.

And please don't say "Well, run the ball with Chris Johnson and play solid defense!" because that's not how it works. Even if the Titans were to (highly unlikely) have an elite top-5 defense next year, if your passing game is incompetent, you simply aren't winning games. The NFL doesn't work that way anymore - you need a above-average passing to win anything anymore.

And regarding Derrick Morgan and the defense, they are basically pinning all of their hopes on a guy who had a severe injury last year which most players require 2 years to recover from, and is basically still nothing more than a first-year, unproven rookie (because he didn't play that much prior to being injured). Given that there is a strong chance that Morgan does not play well next year, either due to basically being a rookie, and/or the lingering effects of the ACL tear, who else on that team is going to be capable of rushing the passer? The oft-injured Jason Jones? Another rookie they draft? (Knowing full well that they probably want to draft a QB instead of a guy like Fairley or Quinn, because they simply don't have a QB at this point)

TitanHope
04-22-2011, 10:27 PM
There's your problem: the stability of the WR corps depends entirely on a wholly undependable person (Britt). Seriously, the kid is flat-out trouble, and you don't even know if he won't be suspended next year.

Exactly. No decision on a suspension has been made, and I don't think it's likely that it'll be substantial and may not be handed down quickly seeing as how the commissioner has much bigger issues to take care of. We'll see though.

And regardless of how "not bad" the WR corps is next year, the Titans still have NO quarterback. And no, Kerry "Vodka" Collins isn't taking a team anywhere at this stage in his career. And no, Vince Young is never playing a game in a Titans uniform ever again. And no, don't even think about bringing up the (chuckle) potential improvement of Rusty "made the 2010 Houston defense look like the '85 Bears" Smith.

Again, you are 100% correct. As long as the Titans lack a QB, they won't be competitive. But having a poor WR corps is farther down the list of reasons why they'll be picking high next draft (which I do agree that the Titans are looking at a high draft pick next year). I just don't think having a below average WR corps has that much impact. The interior OL is much more worrisome. Oh, and if the state of the WR corps doesn't matter because the Titans have no QB, then why did you list the WR corps as a reason for the Titans to have the #1 overall pick?

And please don't say "Well, run the ball with Chris Johnson and play solid defense!" because that's not how it works. Even if the Titans were to (highly unlikely) have an elite top-5 defense next year, if your passing game is incompetent, you simply aren't winning games. The NFL doesn't work that way anymore - you need a above-average passing to win anything anymore.

I wasn't going to say that. I think you've misinterpreted my posts. I'm not disagreeing with you, as I don't have high hopes for next year. I think the Titans will struggle next season. But you were incorrect on some of the details, so I posted arguing against the reasoning, not the overall point. For the most part though, your points were right on.

And regarding Derrick Morgan and the defense, they are basically pinning all of their hopes on a guy who had a severe injury last year which most players require 2 years to recover from, and is basically still nothing more than a first-year, unproven rookie (because he didn't play that much prior to being injured). Given that there is a strong chance that Morgan does not play well next year, either due to basically being a rookie, and/or the lingering effects of the ACL tear, who else on that team is going to be capable of rushing the passer? The oft-injured Jason Jones? Another rookie they draft? (Knowing full well that they probably want to draft a QB instead of a guy like Fairley or Quinn, because they simply don't have a QB at this point)

Ok, first of all, a surgically repaired torn ACL takes about 6-9 months to recover from, with around a year being a typical conservative estimate to return to pre-injury form - not 2 years. Of course, everyone is different and some recover faster or slower than others, and just because a different guy struggled with the injury doesn't mean Morgan will. Secondly, the ACL stablizes the knee when making cuts or moving laterally, which a DE doesn't routinely do. Unless he has a relapse, saying he won't be 100% until freaking 2012 is just incorrect. He's running and jumping on it already.

Also, what's wrong or strange about pinning their hopes on a first round pick? This isn't some UDFA that we're hoping works out. He was the 1st RD pick and is loaded with talent, and they were banking on him becoming a key member of their defense the moment they drafted him. Prior to his injury he was playing well with 2 Sacks coming off the bench in 4 games. It's a brief sample space, but it's enough to shrug off the "unproven" accusation. If you extrapolate it, that's 8 sacks as a rookie coming off the bench. And saying there's a strong chance Morgan won't play well is nonsense and pure speculation on your part. He played well as a literal rookie, so how do you justify saying there's a strong chance he doesn't play well because he's basically a rookie? Because that didn't seem to bother him before. Both reasonings don't hold much water.

And yes, I expect Jason Jones and Tony Brown to provide a pass-rush. There's talent on the DL in Morgan, Jones, Brown, and there are potential guys in Marks and Hayes. The shelf isn't barren. But I'd be more comfortable if the DE spot opposite Morgan was solidified.

NotRickJames
04-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Cincinnati Bungles.

They're in for a pretty rough year.

The Dynasty
04-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm just going out there and say the Dolphins. I don't believe in Henne and who is going to be the running back in Miami? Just a pure guess.

Bucs_Rule
04-23-2011, 12:20 AM
I think theirs a decent chance that VY will be back in Tennessee. He might not be their plan for the future, but he's sure a lot better then most alternative options.

Bud Adams decided to keep Fisher over Young and then soon parted ways with Fisher. He could easily change his mind on Young after looking at other options.

wordofi
04-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Whoever the best quarterback in the draft is. That's always a safe bet.

Giants34
04-24-2011, 02:42 AM
to the original poster...just curious, how do you know there is no rookie QB in this class that ill do anything of note? I cannot stand mindless statements like that.

boknows34
04-24-2011, 03:01 AM
I think theirs a decent chance that VY will be back in Tennessee. He might not be their plan for the future, but he's sure a lot better then most alternative options.

Bud Adams decided to keep Fisher over Young and then soon parted ways with Fisher. He could easily change his mind on Young after looking at other options.

Mike Munchak confirmed this week that the Titans have no intentions of changing their mind regarding Young.

“That was a decision made months ago and nothing that is going to happen personnel-wise, or how the draft goes, is going to change that,’’ Munchak said. “It wasn’t just a Jeff Fisher decision, I think people kind of have that feeling because it happened back then we could change our decision.”

“It was a company decision, so obviously we aren’t going to change that decision. We are standing by that decision. What’s been done is best for everybody.”

smittyjs
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Tennessee has no talent on its defensive line that isn't going to be either recovering from an injury or leaving in free agency. The Titans defense will be absymal next year.

Because the defense will give up lots of yards and TDs, the Titans offense will be forced to pass the ball frequently to stay in the game, and Collins is a statue who crumbles under pressure. He's going to either be injured or somehow implode, and then Rusty Smith or a rookie QB will be their only other option at that point.

I seriously struggle to see how the Titans will even win 3 or more games next year barring some dramatic developments like a trade for Kevin Kolb or something like that.

I'm not going to disagree that the titans could be the worst team in the NFL, if we get a vet qb i think the offense will be fine, we have a good selection of slot WR if Britt get suspended, if he doesn't then thats even better.

If babin gets resigned we should be ok on the Dline, we have a good group of roational players, just need that big time playmaker at DT. LB is another need no big time playmaker there, just a bunch of guys that do best that they can at their jobs. Defensive backfield should be fine if they can remain heathly.......

I see us winning anywhere between 4 and 8 wins, but it really depends on the QB which sucks at this moment.

stephenson86
04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm not going to disagree that the titans could be the worst team in the NFL, if we get a vet qb i think the offense will be fine, we have a good selection of slot WR if Britt get suspended, if he doesn't then thats even better.

If babin gets resigned we should be ok on the Dline, we have a good group of roational players, just need that big time playmaker at DT. LB is another need no big time playmaker there, just a bunch of guys that do best that they can at their jobs. Defensive backfield should be fine if they can remain heathly.......

I see us winning anywhere between 4 and 8 wins, but it really depends on the QB which sucks at this moment.

SMITTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

FTRWRTR
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I think people are confusing being a bad team with being the worst team. I agree the titans won't be that good BUT they one of the best rbs in the game, a veteran qb, and some talent at wr. Bottom line for me is CJ > benson, Collins> Jordan Palmer or a rookie, and Britt - Washington - Gage > Shipley - Caldwell - Simpson.

Pat Sims 90
04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I think people are confusing being a bad team with being the worst team. I agree the titans won't be that good BUT they one of the best rbs in the game, a veteran qb, and some talent at wr. Bottom line for me is CJ > benson, Collins> Jordan Palmer or a rookie, and Britt - Washington - Gage > Shipley - Caldwell - Simpson.

I don't think u understand that Cincy has one of the easiest schedule in Football they could easily win 6 games with a rookie QB. Cincinnati Defense is also underrated and if it stay healthy this year there is no way they loss less then 6 games.

stephenson86
04-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Tennessee don't exactly have the hardest schedule in the world, you have a harder division than we do as I think Cleveland will be alright this year.

FTRWRTR
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think u understand that Cincy has one of the easiest schedule in Football they could easily win 6 games with a rookie QB. Cincinnati Defense is also underrated and if it stay healthy this year there is no way they loss less then 6 games.Nowadays strength of schedule is meaningless. Between free agents, injuries, and rookies, teams aren't going to be the same as they were last year. Heck, pitt won one of their championships the same year they were supposed to have the toughest schedule in the league.

Pat Sims 90
04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Tennessee don't exactly have the hardest schedule in the world, you have a harder division than we do as I think Cleveland will be alright this year.

Cleveland will struggle this year with the CBA not being reached because they have a brand new coaching staff with brand need offense, and brand new 4-3 defense if they are not able to impenitent these in the off season because of the CBA.

Pat Sims 90
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Nowadays strength of schedule is meaningless. Between free agents, injuries, and rookies, teams aren't going to be the same as they were last year. Heck, pitt won one of their championships the same year they were supposed to have the toughest schedule in the league.

The last time the Bengals had a easy schedule they sweep the division and went to the playoffs not saying they will do that this year i am just saying when the Bengals have a easier schedule they end up doing better then what people think they will.

bucfan12
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Hmmm... Cincinatti is a possibility, however San Fransisco, if they don't get a decent QB, could be up for it as well. I think Tennessee is a legit candidate, especially since they have a ton of question marks, especially at QB.

My opinion:
1. Tennesee
2. Carolina
3. Cincinatti
4. San Fransisco
5. Seattle

keylime_5
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
I think Cincinnati, Seattle, and San Francisco's schedules are going to be too easy for them to get the top pick. It's gonna be a surprise bad team again IMO like Carolina this past year. Injuries and a QB who is bad and plays worse than even expected will factor.