PDA

View Full Version : Player Suspensions

stephenson86
04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
This could be a very simple answer/very stupid question. But will players who mis-behave get in trouble with the law in the lockout still get suspended once business is resumed? I was thinking about this that the players in the lockout aren't controlled by the NFL and so the NFL has no power over them, so how will suspensions work for lawful incidents work. Like will Kenny Britt see any repercussions from the league for his behavior or because of the lockout is it a matter of what happens in court is the be all and end all?

Basically once the lockout ends will players or can players be suspended for incidents during the lockout?

Shane P. Hallam
04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
It depends on the new CBA. right now, there is no behavior clause for off the field incidents.

FTRWRTR
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Even after a new cba is reached and goodell has the power to suspend players for what they do now, I can't see him using it. If something truely heinous happens like big ben deciding to rape again, ok I can see a suspension being handed down. But I see this as a grace period.

stephenson86
04-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Interesting to see what will happen, I just hope Britt gets away without a suspension.

jrdrylie
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
From a legal standpoint, I don't think Goodell has any right to do it. Before, players were subjected to the Conduct Policy. Without the CBA in place, the Conduct Policy is null-and-void. If Goodell suspended Britt (or any other player who gets in trouble), he would quickly find himself in court.

Rabscuttle
04-17-2011, 11:21 AM
This will drive the owners/Goodell nuts knowing they have no control over the personal lives of the players.