PDA

View Full Version : Mock, Mock, Mock, 5 rounds w/Trades.

Poz51
04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
A couple thoughts on this draft; I think someone makes a move into the top five to land a QB and teams that do not trade up or have a early 2nd round pick will not get any quality at the QB position. Who knows when the players and owners will come to an agreement, and the only way to gaurantee you'll have a QB next year is to draft one. Defensive lineman go early, and like the QB's often, with slim pickings as the draft moves on. I do not like the depth of this draft after the 5th round, I do not see the talent like I did in last years draft. I think this draft will be unpredictable in nature with trades and movement by various teams.
As for this mock, I appreciate all feedback and insight. This version has been over a month in the making, with 4 different #1 picks, well over 10 versions of the first two rounds alone, and more headaches than any other mock I have ever done. The domino affect killed me. So for better or for worse, 5 rounds, several trades, and as always I will respond when I can. I will try one last effort if time permits before the draft, but this is likely my final effort for the 2011 draft, at least with any kind of thoughts or analysis. This mock started a month ago, so please take it with a grain of salt. Enjoy!

2011 Mock Draft
1st Round

1 – Carolina – Cameron Newton (QB – Auburn)
Contrary to popular believe Newton did not win every game this past year with his feet, although he destroyed L.S.U. with his running ability, his second half against Alabama showed he does have the ability to read a defense, which he was not asked to do often at Auburn. His skill set and throwing ability are light years ahead of Vince Young and Tim Tebow. If Newton makes it the Buffalo, they are all but “screaming it from the roof tops” that they will take him, and they have the luxury or sitting him behind Fitzpatrick for a year or two and letting him develop properly. Carolina however takes him number one overall, having fallen in love with his potential to be the awkward love child of Michael Vick and Big Ben. I do not believe that this is the ideal situation for Newton to develop in, but where he lands regardless, and maybe Mike Shula can bring him along appropriately. Newton has mechanical flaws, but they are correctable ones, he keeps his head down field when scrambling, and is an accurate thrower, especially when his mechanics are clean. I am still not sold that they will take a QB or that Jerry Richardson will sign off on this pick, but if I were the Panthers, he is who I would take. Newton, Green, Dareus and Gabbert have rotated in and out of this pick for over a month now in my development of this mock. Newton’s ceiling is in the stratosphere which is why I have him in the top five, his floor if he does not put in the time and is not focused on football scares me. Regardless, he goes #1. Personally I would take Marcel “Lil’ Jenk” Dareus or A.J. Green, but a new coach and the #1 pick more often than not, mean a new QB. What would this pick say about Marty Hurney’s 2010 draft? What a waste of a draft picks…
Grade: Top Five – Previous Picks: Nick Fairley and Andrew Luck

2 – Denver – Marcell Dareus (DT – Alabama)
The Bronco’s just having released Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams in early March, leaves Denver dangerously thin at defensive tackle, at least talent wise. Dareus is a rhino who can play the run and apply pressure to opponent’s quarterbacks. “Lil’ Jenk” will remind John Fox of Kris Jenkins, and the good ole days in Carolina. Denver could DE, but between iffy knees, and brain tumors (and rust) the value is not there. They could take the most talented player in the draft IMO in Patrick Peterson, but the hole in the middle of the front seven is too big to over look. Nick Fairley makes sense, but concerns about his “one year wonder” status and “off the field” issues will likely cause him to fall. Elvis Dumervil should be able to apply pressure off the edge, he has played in the 4-3 before successfully, as has Robert Ayers who should realize some of his potential playing his natural position, with his hand in the dirt.
Grade: Top Five – Previous Picks: Patrick Peterson and Nick Fairley

* Trade * Buffalo sends the 3rd pick in the 1st round and the 164th pick in the 6th round to Arizona for the 5th pick in the first round, and the 38th pick in the second round. Trade value: Buffalo 2225.8 to Arizona 2220. -5.8 Buffalo.

3 – Arizona (via Buffalo) – Blaine Gabbert (QB – Mizzu)
Arizona knows the difference between them having a top five pick and playing for a Super Bowl is defense and more importantly a quarterback. Will a federal judge force the owners to unlock their players? I don’t know, maybe they trade for Kevin Kolb if a judge allows for it. With Buffalo and/or Cincinnati more than likely to take Gabbert, the Cardinals make a move to get their guy, offer Buffalo the right deal, and get Gabbert to be their franchise QB. There is a lot to like about Gabbert ,he competes every game, has a good understanding of the game, has great arm strength, good accuracy, size, mobility, he throw’s impressively on the run and he “spin’s it” very well. Not to mention he looks really good in shorts “spinning it”. He can make all the throws, but his pocket awareness is not very good, he feels phantom pressure and takes off, making poor decisions regularly. I still cannot believe the mild case of “Trent Edwards” syndrome Gabbert’s film shows, and the lack of concern professional evaluators have shown regarding this. Gabbert does have very good upside, and at times extends plays similarly to Big Ben. With proper coaching and better players around him, I think he will not bail out as quickly as he did in college, and will improve as a pro.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: A.J. Green and Prince Amukamara

4 – Cincinnati – Patrick Peterson (CB – L.S.U.)
Torn between A.J. Green and Patrick Peterson, owner Mike Brown pulls out a quarter and the Bengals flip a coin in the war room landing the best player in the draft. All joking aside, Peterson is a top five talent with safety/linebacker size and strength, in a corners body. In the last 13 years of the draft I cannot find one corner prospect I like more outside of Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey. Peterson is on that shut down level as a prospect, and he is more physically opposing. A physical specimen who can blanket speed receivers and jump with the bigger receivers in the league, Peterson is everything one would want in a corner, and infuses a top five talent into the Bengals secondary, especially if Jonathan Joseph leaves in free agency. He very well could be the most all around talented player in this draft. The only thing that beats him on middle to long range throws is a perfect pass. Peterson’s added value as a punt returner give him the nod over A.J. Green who is my second rated prospect after Patrick Peterson.
Grade: #1 Prospect – Previous Picks: Blaine Gabbert and A.J. Green

5 – Buffalo (via Cincinnati) – Von Miller (OLB – Texas A & M)
Miller quickly became one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl, and easily could go earlier than this. Buffalo see’s the Derrick Thomas comparison, and could pull the trigger at pick 3 on Miller if they stay there. Having many holes to fill, and not being 100% sold on Gabbert they trade down and land one of the two impact players they were going to take at 3. The trade is a win-win for the Bills and Cardinals who both get there man. Miller having added weight and maintained his speed and athleticism has raised his stock significantly in my eyes. Miller can cover tight ends and backs coming out of the backfield, and is an explosive edge rusher, who can terrorize opposing QB’s in a hurry. Miller will need get better against the run, and improve his overall awareness. Miller and Merriman (if he can return to full health) could alter the course of games. I think Chan Gailey recently let the cat out of the bag, in mentioning a trade down, and if they stay at the 3rd pick will take Gabbert, but if someone offers them a second to move down a couple spots, will take the trade.
Grade: Top 5 – Previous Picks: Cameron Newton

6 – Cleveland – A.J. Green (WR – Georgia)
Cleveland despritely needs help upfront on the defensive side of the ball, and “one year wonders” Da’Quan Bowers and Nick Fairley are options as well. However injury and off the field concerns have forced them out of being top five values, where A.J Green’s stock still sits. Pat Shurmur is an offensive minded coach, and will look for pieces to develop in his offense. If Gabbert or Newton fall this far, the Browns could take a serious look at them. Remember Browns fans, there are still 6 more rounds of draft to go to address the defensive front… If Green makes it past Cincinnati at 4, I don’t see him falling any further than this pick. Having said all that, I could see them go Julio Jones with this pick, thinking that similarly to Trent Williams to the Skins over Russell Okung last year, Jones is a better fit in the WCO, and Green would be a better fit in a more vertical/down field passing attack. A.J. Green is just more talented than Julio Jones, and in general too talented to pass up. Green can catch the clock, catches with his hands, gets in and out of his breaks very well, gets better seperation, and runs routes very well. Green is the best receiving prospect since Calvin Johnson and legit top five pick. Who I believe could go as high as #1 in this draft, is very unlikely to make it past Cincinnati, and does not last longer than pick 6.
Grade: Top Five – Previous Picks: Da’Quan Bowers and Justin Blackmon

7 – San Francisco – Prince Amukamara (CB – Nebraska)
Prince Amukamara was rarely targeted by opposing offenses, who avoided him like a plague last year. Great anticipation and instincts, smooth athletically, with the ability to play man and zone, and an ability support the run make the mature fringe top five value a corner stone of the 49ers for the next decade. Robert Quinn would be fantastic upgrade to the pass rush for the 49ers, but Amukamara being the best value makes him the pick. Nate Clements pay and declining ability are no longer a good match and Amukamara can step in and become the #1 corner this defense needs moving forward. Robert Quinn’s year off and brain tumor scare the 9ers away, and with no QB of consequence available the 9ers will look to upgrade their secondary and overall talent level. I was thiiiiiiis close to pulling off a trade with Dallas for the Prince, but need a corner badly enough to stand pat for now.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Prince Amukamara and Robert Quinn

8 – Tennessee – Nick Failey (DT – Auburn)
Tracy Rocker coached Fairley at Auburn and will give the Titans his stamp of approval as the Titans new defensive line coach, or not... Taking Fairley will give the Titans some flexability along the defensive line, Jason Jones could kick out to end for instance. Regardless Fairley has been considered the possible number one pick at time by many in the draft world, and has top five value at the eighth pick in the draft. With both QB’s of relevance gone, and not wanting to reach, the Titans look to attack the opponents from the inside out, and Fairley gives them an interior presence that must be accounted for and game planned for.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Robert Quinn and Ryan Mallett

9 – Dallas – J.J. Watt (DE – Wisconsin)
A heart and soul type player, Wyatt has a non-stop motor, natural understanding of the game, and is flexible in his ability to play odd and even fronts. I have Watt rated as the best 5 technique prospect in the draft, and his ability to shed blocks combined with his lateral agility, and strength should allow him to be the moster at the NFL level that he was in college. Watt draws extra attention and still makes the play, he has the work ethic to succeed, excellent character, and is relentless in the pass rush. Watt cannot play corner, nor can he protect Tony Romo, but he certainly can replace Marcus Spears, and become a fixture on the Cowboys defensive front for the next decade. Dallas takes the appropriate value pick, and a player without character concerns.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Marcel Dareus

* Trade *Washington sends the 10th pick in the 1st round to St. Louis for the 14th pick in the 1st round and the 78th pick in the third round. Trade value: Washington 1300 to St. Louis 1300. Even.

10 – St. Louis (via Washington) – Julio Jones (WR – Alabama)
The Skins clearly have so many holes on the roster that they have already put the “for sale” sign on this pick. They know it, I know it, the NFL Network knows it, D30 knows it, and they have even admitted to it publically. If they cannot land the deal they want, I expect them to take a QB (Jake Locker) or the best available offensive player, and after his combine, Julio Jones tilted the scales. I liken him to Eric Moulds, only a better blocker coming out, and a slight (very slight) edge in the hands department. I fully expect Jones to have a significantly better pro career than college, and I have Cincinnati as a possible landing spot come draft day. However the Rams trade up, and like the Bills and Cardinals before work out a win-win trade, the Rams get there man from the team that was going to take him, the Redskins move down the board only 4 spots and pick up an extra 3rd rounder in the process. Jones gives the Sam Bradford a go to guy, who can make the spectacular catch, provide YAC, and be the legitimate #1 he needs.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Julio Jones and Allen Bailey

11 – Houston – Robert Quinn (DE – U.N.C.)
“Houston, we have a problem.” A year off, after an NCAA suspension, and a benign brain tumor are not easy to over look. Dez Bryant had dinner with Deion and it cost him roughly 20 or so spots in the draft, how far will Quinn fall with a similar set of circumstances plus a benign brain tumor? After his less than stellar combine, maybe farther than this. Although he did recover nicely at his pro day, Quinn’s draft stock is not where his 2009 tape implies he should be. Houston however could use a pass rusher, and with Mario Williams coming off one edge and Quinn off the other (granted he gets back to 2009 form), could rattle even the most seasoned QB’s. Many are down playing Quinn’s year off, I might be doing the same more than I would like to having him this high, and it would not surprise me if he went either higher or lower than this. IMO Quinn is one of the wild cards in this draft, maybe the biggest.
Grade: 1st – Previous Picks: Von Miller and Adrian Clayborn

12 – Minnesota – Da’Quan Bowers (DE – Clemson)
Bowers decent from the top five continues in my newest mock. It’s the knee, and reports are people see the issue on tape, however it is not like the issue resulted in decreased production last year. If it checks out fully Bowers could in a likely hood be drafted in the top five or ten picks, but the Vikings will be quick to snatch him up if he falls, form bookends with Jared Allen for the foreseeable future. I cannot see the Vikings reaching for Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett or anyone else at this point. Bowers is a top five caliber player slipping out of the top ten.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Cameron Jordan and Da’Quan Bowers

13 – Detroit – Aldon Smith (DE – Mizzu)
I have compared Smith to Willie McGinest, and think he will have that type of impact on a 3-4 defense. However, Smith is drafted by a 4-3 team, and the Lions could not be happier to team him with Suh for the next decade. KVB will 33 next year, and while having talent at defensive end on the roster, Smith is an upgrade over all of them. Capable of making an impact from day one, Aldon Smith still has room to grow and develop, and in my opinion will only get better. Smith has great movement skills, gives maximum effort every play, uses his length very well, has an explosive first step, and can play the run. Smith has the potential with the development of some pass rush moves to be one of the best players to come out of this draft 5 years down the road, which could make him virtually unblockable.
Grade: 1st– Previous Picks: Derek Sherrod and Patrick Peterson

14 – Washington (via St. Louis) – Cameron Jordan (DE – California)
If Von Miller was the darling of the Senior Bowl, Jordan was darling 1B, nearly un-blockable throughout the week. Jordan should be gone by now, but is not, and the Redskins get a value pick at 13. A stout run defender, Jordan has a variety of pass rush moves, and lined will wreak havoc on offensive lines league wide. Cameron Jordan can come in from day one, start and impact games. I have J.J. Watt and Cameron Jordan rated as my 2nd overall 3-4 defensive ends, I think Jordan can pay immediate dividends in any system, and in the 4-3 defense can play base defensive end, kick inside on passing downs if warranted, and create pressure from the edge as well on 3rd down. Washington traded down knowing that they would get one of the players they coveted to improve the defense, while not taking the #1 player on their board in Julio Jones, who they would be happy to take, had they stayed at the 10th pick, but they need players, and more picks.
Grade: Top Ten – Previous Picks: Jake Locker

15 – Miami – Mike Pouncey (G/C – Florida)
Mark Ingram should draw comparisons Emmitt Smith, I said it last year in my first post 2010 mock, and I will say it again, Mark Ingram is the next Emmitt Smith. Having said that, Ingram will make some team later in this mock very happy, it’s just not the Dolphins this time. Mike Pouncey is not Maurkice Pouncey, but he is no slouch either. Athletic and versatile, Mike is flying up draft boards, and with Miami’s need for a pivot it is a pick that makes sense, although I think Pouncey’s NFL future is at guard. Would Miami love to move down pick up a second and still land Pouncey ? Preferably, but that can be easier said than done and trading back might allow a team like New England to grab Pouncey, so the Dolphins grab their man at 15, despite being what many would consider a “reach”. Running backs will be available later in the draft. It also would not shock me to see the Dolphins grab a QB at this spot. I thought Mallet for two weeks, then thought better, Pouncey in my opinion is the surer bet.
Grade: 1st – Previous Picks: Mark Ingram and Kyle Rudolph

16 – Jacksonville – Ryan Kerrigan (DE – Purdue)
Kerrigan’s tenacity and all out effort will be hard to pass on, and with Aldon Smith off the board becomes the rest pass rusher available. With past failure looming behind the Jaguars and Aaron Kampman’s ability to remain healthy iffy at best, Kerrigan’s work ethic, strength, and all around ability give the Jaguars another non-stop motor upfront. Will the Jaguars take a risk on a QB with this pick? They better love that QB…
Grade: 1st – Previous Picks: Aldon Smith and Rahim Moore

17 – New England (via Oakland) – Cameron Heyward (DE – O.S.U.)
A 5 technique with the skill set that the Patriots love. Good strength, long, with very good athleticism, and a good work ethic. Heyward can play two gaps, showing good containment discipline and the ability to crash down on inside running plays. The run on OLB’s and DE’s almost puts New England in a position to trade down and start wheeling and dealing early, but grab Heyward and solidify their defense in the trenches rather than reach on a pass rusher.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Ryan Kerrigan and Derek Sherrod

18 – San Diego – Muhammad Wilkerson (DE/DT – Temple)
The “San Diego… Super Chargers…” think long and hard about Justin Houston to upgrade the pass rush, and look at the tackles to fill in the right side of the offensive line, but in the end go with the 5 technique to help the defensive front, and provide a boost to the pass rush from the defensive end spot. If this is too high for the Chargers taste to take Wilkerson, I would think it is too high for Houston, and they would probably take a tackle in my opinion. The options are limited defensively and not looking like they will be better in the second round based on the Chargers needs. Muhammad Wilkerson or Tyron Smith? I was 50/50 with this pick, as my board for the Chargers is virtually decimated at this point.
Grade: 1st-2nd – Previous Picks: Justin Houston

19 – N.Y.G. – Tyron Smith (LT – U.S.C.)
Tyron Smith is climbing NFL draft boards rather quickly for a guy who has never played LT against legitimate competition since setting foot on campus at U.S.C. He has the measurable, and his tape shows athleticism. Free to pick as they please the Giants look to get athletic at the tackle spot to keep the pass rushers of the NFC East off Eli Manning’s back. I am not as high on Smith as the majority of the draft world, but could see him going much higher than this. Smith still has room to grow, and mature as a blocker, and with proper coaching could develop into the ideal left tackle. Not my #1 tackle prospect, but I could see him being the first tackle prospect off the board.
Grade: 2nd – 1st Round – Previous Picks: Gabe Carimi and Aaron Williams

20 – Tampa Bay – Adrian Clayborn (DE – Iowa)
Adrian Clayborn is the type of player with a non-stop motor that has the ability to play the run and rush the passer consistently. Clayborn is able to shed blocks, uses his eyes, hands and feet well to work through traffic, understands leverage and containment principals, and his initial punch is strong enough to keep blockers off him. His best fit is in a 4-3 front, and is a top ten type talent. Erb’s palsey is a concern and may cause him to fall in the draft, but his consistent effort, and overall ability will enhance an already up and coming Tampa Bay defensive line.
Grade: 1st round, Previous Pick: Adrian Clayborn and Ryan Kerrigan

21 – Kansas City – Phil Taylor (NT – Baylor)
Scott Pioli has a history of taking his man, regardless of the spot in the draft. If Mike Pouncey were to somehow make it past Miami, New England and New York, I could see the Chiefs putting serious thought into him as their center of the future. However Taylor clogging up the center of Chiefs defense with Dorsey and Jackson on his wings accentuates the Chiefs ability up front to disrupt opponents run and pass games. Taylor’s ability to take on double teams, his movement skills which are under rated in my opinion, and his ability to use his hands effectively will get him drafted in the first round. For those concerned with “character” issue’s, remember people make mistakes and learn from them, and if they have not repeated those mistakes for over two years, it actually shows maturity and growth.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Phillip Taylor and Jonathan Baldwin

22 – Indianapolis – Derek Sherrod (LT – Miss. St.)
I have Sherrod rated as the #1 offensive tackle in this draft. Sherrod is the most NFL ready tackle prospect in this class, he has stoned the best pass rushers in the SEC this year, gets a push in the run game, and knows how and when to move to the second level. While not on the elite level as many of the LT’s from the last few drafts, Sherrod in my opinion is a legit top 15 talent with the ability to come in and start immediately. The most mature and well rounded tackle in the class, Sherrod has the lateral agility to handle speed rushers off the edge, has outstanding recognition skills and was a team captain. Sherrod does many of the little things, is smart and a hard worker, the type of player who will work on and improve his technique flaws. Not the flashiest blocker, but solid and steady with 36 consecutive starts at left tackle.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Nate Solder and Demarcus Love

23 – Philadelphia – Jimmy Smith (CB – Colorado)
I have Smith as my third rated corner, more of a press man corner than zone, but he is more than capable in zone, and capable of improving in this area. Allowed 11 catches over his last two seasons while in man coverage, only one for a first down, and last year was thrown at 20 times with 5 deflections, and one touchdown allowed. Great size and in running a 4.42/46 forty at the combine, could be long gone before Philly is on the clock. Smith is a willing and capable run defender, who was avoided like a plague while at Colorado. I love the way Smith attacks receivers at the line of scrimmage, and when in zone coverage attacks the receiver when he trusts his safeties over the top, his short term memory and the way he competes. Smith needs to improve his footwork when transitioning out of his back pedal, but that is one of the easier skills to improve, but he still has very good recovery speed, and I think under rated hip fluidity.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris

24 – New Orleans – Corey Luiget (DT – Illinois)
New Orleans looks to take the best available defensive player with this pick, and grab the fast rising Luiget to pair with Sedrick Ellis. Having played both the 3 technique and nose spots at Illinois will allow the Saints some flexability with how the use both Ellis and Luiget inside. Luiget can play the run and the pass, and has very good shedding skills. Luiget keeps his head up and is has good awareness skills to go with very good strength, quick feet, and a good first step. Is Shaun Rogers the long term answer? I have him as the BPA at this spot, but would not be surprised if they went with Justin Houston, under the belief that he can stick his hand in the dirt and play DE. Luiget is making a strong pre draft run and could end up going higher than Nick Fairley if Fairley shoots himself in the foot.
Grade:1st-2nd Round – Previous Picks: J.J. Watt and Bruce Carter

25 – Seattle – Christian Ponder (QB – F.S.U.)
Ponder has good arm strength, enough to make all the throws, accuracy is “west coast” perfect and puts the ball on the receiver so that they can make a play. Comes from a pro-style offense, quick release, good mobility and can buy time in the pocket or extend plays outside the pocket, and has a very good football IQ. I have been down on Ponder since last year, but am warming up quickly to him, and he is now my 3rd rated QB. In my opinion Ponder still needs help reading defenses and to improve his decision making, and his health is a concern. If Seattle does not like who is available at this pick, and is not comfortable with the QB’s in the draft, this would be a prime pick for someone looking to move up, but I do think Ponder is a good fit for the Seahawks. After fielding offers from several teams looking to move up in the draft, the Seahawks take their QB of the future, and my third rated QB.
Grade: 2nd Round – Previous Picks: Brandon Harris and Julio Jones

26 – Baltimore – Justin Houston (OLB – Georgia)
Sergio Kindle should make this a ridiculous pick, but it seems like he may, need help beating the drink, before he hits the field again. Terrell Suggs needs someone to balance the pass rush and Houston has the experience in a 3-4 defense and pass rush skills that should allow him to make an immediate impact for the Ravens. Houston has a good first step, and can speed rush or dip inside on the pass rush. Needs to develop more pass rush and counter moves, as well as learn to use his hands better, but he is capable of dropping into coverage. Houston is a bit of tweener, which may actually be of benefit in that his best days ahead of him could be with his hand in the dirt. A good fit for the Ravens hybrid defensive fronts. Another team who fields offers from teams looking to move up, but likes what is available more.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Cameron Heyward

27 – Atlanta – Torrey Smith (WR – Maryland)
Smith needs work, but could be the perfect complement to Roddy White. Smith adds an explosive playmaker to the receiving core, which should open up things for White and Gonzalez. Thomas Dimitroff likes high character guys, who were team captains. Coach Friedgen raves about Smith’s character and dedication, and he was the special team’s captain for Mayland. With the run on DE’s, Smith is the type of player who should fit right into Atlanta’s drafting philosophy while filling a need.
Grade: 2nd – 1st Round – Previous Picks: Torrey Smith and Cameron Jordan

* Trade * The Patriots send the 28th pick in the 1st round and the 156th pick in the 5th round to the Redskins for the 41st pick in the 2nd round and the 78th pick in the 3rd round. Trade value: New England 689 to Washington 690. -1 Washington.

28 – Washington (via New England) –Jake Locker (QB – Washington)Sexy-Rexy is not the future, but can hold down the fort while Locker develops. Locker has a big arm and is mobile, two attributes Shanahan loves in QB’s. After moving down in the draft and landing an impact defensive player, the Skins move up to get the QB they thought about at pick 10, rumor has would have taken with their 4th pick last year, and QB they have wanted for some time now. If Mallett has the strongest arm in the draft, Locker is a close second, both have accuracy concerns, but have “potential”. Having come out of the draft with an upgrade defensively and a franchise quarterback to build with is a success in my opinion, finding players later in the draft will be the key at this point moving forward for the Skins.
Grade: 2nd

29 – Chicago – Gabe Carimi (T – Wisconsin)
Might not be a true LT, but could be the road grinder at RT who can help the run game, and handle pass protection on the strong side. However Carimi was a 4 year starter, who was a key piece of a high powered offense. My #2 tackle in this draft, I believe Carimi could handle the left tackle spot, as his feet and lateral agility are under rated, but worst case scenario is he is a pro-bowl caliber right tackle for the next decade, who paves the way for 1000 yard rushers year after year. Carimi plays through pain, is tough and strong, has a sound body of work, and does not have the bust potential many in this tackle class offer.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Tyron Smith and Nate Solder

30 – N.Y.J. – Christian Ballard (DE/DT – Iowa)
Ballard is a solid run defender who has good shedding skills and uses his arms to keep defenders from getting inside him and driving him out of the way, and can clog up running lanes. Good first step and athleticism, quick and has several pass rush moves to build upon. Versatile player who will play where ever he is asked too. Ballard will only get better.
Grade: 2nd – 1st Round – Previous Picks: Akeem Ayers and Von Miller

* Trade* The Steelers send the 31st pick of the 1st round to the Titans for the 39th pick in the 2nd round and the 108th pick in the 4th round. Trade value: Pittsburgh 600 to Tennessee 598. -2 Pittsburgh.

31 – Tennessee (via Pittsburgh) – Ryan Mallett (QB – Arkansas)
The Titans find a dance partner after watching Washington move up to land Locker, and successfully move up into the first round to grab their quarterback. Mallett is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, and will be thrown into the fire quickly if not much sooner than they would prefer in Tennessee. Mallett has the best arm strength of any QB in the draft, and comes with both experience in a pro system, and starting experience.
Grade: 1st – 2nd

32 – Green Bay – Brooks Reed (OLB – Arizona)
Teaming Reed with Matthews just makes sense, and would give offensive coordinators and quarterbacks alike nightmares. I could see the Packers going with a guard, tackle, receiver or corner, but with little on the value front, and the lack of potential 3-4 OLB’s in the second round, and value at other positions later in the draft, the Pack upgrade the pass rush. With the depth on the Packers roster, I have them as a dark horse to trade up and land someone they truly covet. However Reed opposite Matthews makes too much sense to pass on if they stay pat.
Grade: 2nd – 1st Round – Previous Pick: Brooks Reed and Akeem Ayers

2nd Round

33 – New England (via Car.) – Anthony Castonzo (T – Boston College)Smart, athletic, and physical, Castonzo could be the blindside protector that takes over for Matt Light, or he could allow Sebastian Vollmer to slide over to LT, and take over the right side. Either way Castonzo offer versatility, even showing during the senior bowl that he can play guard. Castonzo needs to get stronger so he can drive block and anchor, but has solid technique and good initial quickness. Doing what New England does, they trade out of the 28th pick and get there man with the 33rd, while picking up an extra 3rd round pick to play with.
Grade: 2nd – 1st RoundGrade: 1st Round

34 – Buffalo – Colin Kaepernick (QB – Nevada)
Buffalo watches the run on QB’s start at the end of the first round and looks into trading out of this spot with a team despite for a QB, and I think there will be offers, but none good enough to get them from grabbing their own developmental QB of the future. I know, Miller and Kaepernick, I should listen to myself, but I am not the one making the picks in Buffalo.
Grade: 2nd – 3rd

35 – Cincinnati – Nate Solder (LT/RT – Colorado)
Continuing to ignore the problems up front in pass protection makes little sense. Solder comes in from day one and protects… Someone’s blind side/right side, and allows the Bengal’s to shuffle the offensive line more efficiently, possibly allowing Andrew Whitworth to slide inside to guard or over to right tackle. The Bengals continue to build as if Palmer will return, or they can address the QB position post-lockout.

36 – Denver – Stephen Paea (DT – Oregon St.)
I don’t know whos defensive front was worse against the run last year, Buffalo or Denver, but I do know Denver’s will make a significant turn- around next year with this type of draft. Paea has the strength to hold up at the point of attack and natural ability to help Denver’s run D.

37 – Cleveland – Akeem Ayers (OLB/DE – U.C.L.A)
The Browns need to start getting 4-3 pieces in place on the defensive front and Ayeers can slide down and put his hand in the ground on third down. Akeem Ayers is the highest rated defensive front 7 player available at this point in this mock. Jabaal Sheard and Marvin Austin draw consideration.

38 – Buffalo (via Arizona) – Kyle Rudolph (TE – Notre Dame)
Bills TE’s last year: 23 catches, 1 TD. Coach Gailey has had success with TE’s in the past, and prefers ones that can block and receive, making Rudolph a perfect fit. Would have gone in the first round had he not sustained a season ending injury. Rudolph adds balance to the offense. Value pick.
Grade: 1st Round

39 – Pittsburgh (via Tennessee) – Aaron Williams (S/CB – Texas)
Aaron Williams has solid technique, but will need to improve upon that in the NFL, however, combined with good size, Williams is able to play the run and pass well and could play safety with the ability to drop down and cover receivers. With offenses spreading it out more and more now-a-days Williams could provide an coverage upgrade at safety, and drop down similarly to Charles Woodson. Williams has very good recognition skills and takes good angles. Pittsburgh moves down and gets there man and an additional 4th rounder.
Grade: 2nd – Previous Picks: Aaron Williams and J.J. Watt

40 – Dallas – Rahim Moore (FS – U.C.L.A.)
Dallas needs secondary help and takes the best player available on the back end. Moore can come in from day one, and make an impact as a starter. 1st round caliber player.
Grade: 2nd – 1st

41 – New England (via Washington) – Mark Ingram (RB – Alabama)Shocker, the Pats are milking the board and grabbing great value as they do so, landing a 1st round tackle in the second round already, now landing a first round running back in the second round to further balance their offense.

* Trade *The Texans send the 42nd pick in the 2nd round to the 49ers for the 45th pick in the 2nd round and the 138th pick in the 5th round. Trade value: San Francisco 487 to Houston 480. -7 49ers.

42 – San Francisco (via Houston) – Andy Dalton (QB – T.C.U.)
Dalton is a smart QB, with a natural understanding of the game, who just wins and shows up game in and game out, and has great accuracy. A prospect coach Harbaugh can work with, and has to trade up ahead of the Vikings to land.
Grade 2nd – 3rd

43 – Minnesota – Rodney Hudson (C/G – F.S.U.)
The Vikings need help all over the offensive line, and at quarter back. Hudson brings some flexability to the Vikings offensive line, being able to play guard and center. Minnesota will probably have to trade up, if they want to land a QB in this draft.

44 – Detroit – Martez Wilson (LB – Illinois)
Versatile linebacker who can play any of the three linebacker spots in Schwartz’s system.

45 – Houston (via San Fran.) –Davon House (CB – New Mexico St.)Houston still needs help in the secondary if they wish to truly compete in the AFC South. House is one of the most under rated corners in the draft, and has the tools to be an effective press corner in the new 3-4 defense being installed in Houston.

46 – Denver (via Miami) – Danny Watkins (G/T – Baylor)The Bronco’s look to upgrade the offensive line with the mature Watkins, whose work ethic will blend right in with Coach Fox, and his nasty demeanor and push in the run game will not hurt either.

47 – St. Louis – Marvin Austin (DT – U.N.C.)
Austin is a classic Risk vs. Reward type of pick. Austin is talented, but his production did not match when he played. Spent the last year preparing for the pre-draft process, and successfully so. Coach Spagnuolo already has young talent on the ends (and James Hall), but looks to add a piece to the interior of his defensive line.
Grade: 2rd – 3rd

48 – Oakland – Stefan Wisniewski (C/G – Penn St.)
Uncle Steve was recently hired by the Raiders to be there assistant line coach, and happened to have played for the Raiders for 13 years himself. The Raiders happen to need a center badly, and Stefan can play guard as well, in addition to being the best center available.

49 – Jacksonville – Quinton Carter (S – Oklahoma)
Jacksonville desperately needs help in the secondary, and Carter offers flexibility being able to play either safety spot. Carter is capable in run support, and very good in coverage.
Grade: 2nd-3rd

50 – San Diego – Jabaal Sheard (OLB/DE – Pitt.)
Sheard plays the game with a mean streak, yet controlled and smart, quick, and productive to go with solid technique. A all around football player who turns it up a notch when he hits the field, and plays faster than his measurable would indicate.
Grade: 3rd – 2nd

51 – Tampa Bay – Bruce Carter (LB – U.N.C.)
Carter was a first rounder before the ACL injury, maybe top twenty. Carter is a work out freak, who will do everything it takes to get back on the field. I think he will get cleared by Dr. Andrews and be a steal for someone in the second round, this is a big win for the Buccaneers in the second round.

52 – N.Y.G. – Mikel LeShoure (RB – Illinois)
Giants Brass is not going to allow a talent like LeShoure to get by them in the second round. Bye Brandon Jacobs and inflated contract, hello Mikel LeShoure, who will compliment Ahmad Bradshaw.
Grade: 2nd -1st

53 – Indianapolis – Marcus Cannon (G/T – T.C.U.)
Cannon can come in and upgrade either guard spot, start immediately or play right tackle if needed.

54 – Philadelphia – Orlando Franklin (RT/G – Miami)
Tough and physical, Franklin should be able to take over at right tackle at some point during the course of the season, and can slide inside to guard, offering flexability.
Grade: 3rd-2nd

55 – Kansas City – Leonard Hankerston (WR – Miami)
A compliment to Bowe and McCluster, Hankerston could be an ideal #2 WR. The guy has worked this off season to improve, and it has shown.

56 – New Orleans – Mason Foster (OLB – Washington)
Foster is one of the best pure tacklers in the draft, a capable blitzer, whose head is always on a swivel. His best football is ahead of him, and he has been productive since setting foot on campus.

57 – Seattle – Brandon Harris (CB – Miami)
I have Harris falling and have soured on him lately, reverting back to my original thoughts that he is a versatile all around corner, but not truly special. Harris does everything well in coverage, has good instincts, a genuine passion for the game, is coachable, and has a non-stop motor. A willing tackler, with a solid overall skill set, and accepts accountability for his play. I don’t see Harris as a true number one type of player, more of a solid 2 or a top level nickel. Regardless he is an upgrade to the Seahawks secondary.

58 – Baltimore – Jonathan Baldwin (WR – Pitt)
Baltimore is one of those places that has the leadership in place and structure to get the best out of Baldwin, and help him resolve some of the attitude and maturity issue’s that are evidently plaguing him. Baldwin has the attributes to become the legit #1 receiver Baltimore needs, and can stretch the field.

59 – Atlanta – Sam Acho (DE – Texas)
Another former team captain, Acho has the non-stop motor, and work ethic the Falcons love. The value might not be there, but pass rushers are flying out the door in this draft and the Falcons get a guy who fits their character profile, and meets a need at a premium position.
Grade: 2nd-3rd

60 – New England – Chris Carter (OLB – Fresno St.)
The 2010 WAC Defensive Player of the Year is tough and has an explosive first step. He needs to develop some pass rush and counter moves, but does posses a nice spin move and has great speed off the edge. Reports are that he is up to 248 and has kept his speed at that weight, Carter has been working with Willie McGinest on his drops in pass coverage in the off season.

61 – San Diego (via N.Y.J.) – Titus Young (WR – Boise St.)
Even with Vincent Jackson coming back, the Chargers could use stand an explosive playmaker into the receiving core, and having addressed the defense already with the first two picks, the Chargers give Rivers a weapon to play with. Young has added value as a return specialist, especially if Sproles leaves.

62 – Chicago – Drake Nevis (DT – L.S.U.)
Although a G/C type like John Moffitt is probably needed more, but the value is not there and Jerry Angelo cannot help himself and has to pick a defensive lineman in the first two rounds.

63 – Pittsburgh – Benjamin Ijalana (T/G – Villanova)
Ijalana offers flexability of being able to play tackle and guard. Missing the Senior Bowl could cause him to fall. In my opinion a tackle who can slide inside if need be.

64 – Green Bay – Randall Cobb (WR – Kentucky)
Excellent route runner, fantastic hands, gets in and out of his cuts very quickly. Value pick.

3rd Round

65 – Carolina – Jurrell Casey (DT – U.S.C.)Carolina needs lots of help on the interior of the defensive line and grab the highest rated DT on the board.
Grade: 3rd

66 – Cincinnati – Ricky Stanzi (QB – Iowa)
The Bengal need a fall back plan at QB, just in case, and despite this being high for Stanzi, in my opinion he is the only quarterback left with starting potential. 3 Bowl wins, 3 wins vs. Joe Pa. A leader and winner, who plays the game at a higher level than his measurable say he should. Stanzi maybe the most pro ready QB in this class, and should have a short transition curve.
Grade: 4th-3rd

67 – Denver – Quan Sturdivant (LB – U.N.C.)
Whether Sturdivant allows D.J. Williams to move outside, or moves outside himself, the Bronco’s front 7 gets another significant upgrade. Versatile and constant, Sturdivant is a productive leader.

68 – Buffalo – Kelvin Sheppard (ILB – L.S.U.)
Buffalo lands the ILB who has the football IQ and new found bulk to help the run D.

69 – Arizona – Dontay Moch (OLB – Nevada)
If Moch was not stiff in the hips, I would have have Moch as a 2nd round prospect at worst. However, here he is, and Arizona happens to need a pass rusher, just what Moch projects best at doing in the NFL.

70 – Cleveland – Marcus Gilbert (T – Florida)
Gilbert has the footwork to succeed on either side although he would clearly start on the right side for the Browns, work ethic to improve regardless, and nasty demeanor to enhance the Browns run game. Gilberts initial hand punch is jarring, and he moves well for man his size with good body control.

71 – Dallas – James Carpenter (T – Alabama)
One of the unheralded stars of the South’s offensive line in the senior bowl, Carpenter is a gamer with a well rounded game. Beal was off sides… Carpenter has good movement skills, has a good anchor, and can mirror in pass protection.

72 – New Orleans (via Wash.) – Allen Bailey (DE – Miami)
Not the pure pass rusher New Orleans may desire, but Bailey has an upside to him that if untapped could make this pick a potential steal down the road. Solid against the run with good lateral agility, if Bailey can develop and use a couple counter pass rushing moves consistently he could reach his potential. If you are impressed by men’s physiques then you will love Bailey.

73 – Houston – Kendric Ellis (NT – Hampton)
Ellis is full of potential, he has excellent size, and is nimble with great athleticism for a man his size. Off the field issues could push him lower, than this in the draft, however the “supply and demand” for 3-4 NT’s could push him into the second round. Ellis gives the Texans a prototypical NT for their 3-4. Wade Phillips may like what he has, but he knows a massive upgrade when he sees one.
Grade: 3rd – 4th

* Trade * New England Trades the 74th pick in the 3rd round to Baltimore for the Ravens 2nd round pick in 2012.

74 – Baltimore (via N.E./Minn.) – Ras-I Dowling (CB – U. Virginia)
The Ravens are looking for a bigger more physical CB to round out their secondary, and the Pats want an extra pick in the first two rounds next year. Deal. Dowling is fluid for a corner with his size, is solid positionally with good technique, effective jammer at the LOS, capable in zone and a team leader.

75 – Detroit – Curtis Brown (CB – Texas)
Brown should be able to contribute in nickel and dime packages immediately, and in time could be a solid #2 starter with some development and coaching. Fluid in his transition out of his back pedal, Brown is a willing tackler, who will get the ball at its highest point and hold on to the pick.

76 – San Francisco – Jerrell Jernigan (WR – Troy)
Jernigan will add some needed explosiveness to the 9ers receiving core, even if it is just from the slot. Jernigan should be long gone by this pick, but if he falls, gives the 9ers some added talent to their multiple receiver sets.

77 – Tennessee – Will Rackley (G – Lehigh)
The former Patriot league star at tackle slides inside giving Mallett the guard he needs in pass pro, and helps in the running game with a relentless style that will fit in well with what coach Munchak wants to do.

78 – New England (via Washington /St. Louis) – Clint Boling (G/T – Georgia)One way or another, the future of the offensive line is looking up with this draft. Boling provides a potential starting right guard and depth at tackle.

79 – Miami – Ryan Williams (RB – Va. Tech.)
I am sure Williams is high on their board and could be the immediate starter depending on how the CBA and free agency play out. Williams is higher on others boards than he is on mine, although I do think injury,durability concerns will cause him to fall come draft time.
Grade: 3rd -2nd

80 – Jacksonville – Greg Jones (LB – Michigan St.)
I believe Jones will be a better linebacker in the NFL, than he was in college, and will start day one. Jones is a very instinctual defender, who maybe a better fit playing the weak side, but whether its inside or weak side, the Jaguars get another major upgrade defensively.

81 – Oakland – Chimdi Chekwa ( CB – Ohio St.)
Chekwa is an aggressive corner with his eyes constantly in the opponents back field reading the QB, which can be a blessing and a detriment. Did I mention he is sub 4.4 fast? Chekwa also has excellent feet that are blurry quick, with excellent closing speed, and he has excellent change of direction skills.

82 – San Diego – Brandon Burton (CB – Utah)
Burton has a ton of potential that I can see realized by watching him play, he does need some work with his footwork and technique, but has good speed, great quickness and agility to go with never back down mentality, and vocal leadership.
Grade: 2nd -3rd

83 – N.Y.G. – Nate Irving (LB – N.C. St.)
Irving can come in from day one and make an impact, most likely inside, where his instincts will help him continue to make plays in the opponents backfields.
84 – Tampa Bay – Luke Stocker (TE – Tennessee)
The second best TE in the draft in my opinion, and a guy who can do it all, block, run, catch. Stocker does not have the upside receiving wise that a guy like Kellen Winslow Jr. does, but is a better blocker.
Grade: 2nd -3rd

85 – Philadelphia – DeAndre McDaniel (SS – Clemson)
McDaniel has strong recognition skills, a solid tackler who knows when deliver the big hit, and puts his time in the film room. May not replace Mikell immediately, but can form a solid duo with Allen at the safety spot for the for-seeable future.

86 – Kansas City – John Moffitt (C/G – Wisconsin)Moffitt offers flexibility in being able to play guard and shift over to center. His value at this spot is being able to play center, and not having the injury concerns of a guy like O’Dowd.

87 – Indianapolis – Terrell McClain (DT – U.S.F.)
After raising his stock in the East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl, Bill Polian takes a quick break from upgrading the offensive line, and grabs the fast rising McClain to help the defensive line.

88 – New Orleans – Demarcus Love (G/T – Arkansas)
New Orleans could use some reinforcements along the offensive line in terms of depth, and despite his stock falling recently, Love can play RT and G, allowing for flexibility along their offensive line, and a possible starter once Jon Stinchcomb hangs up the cleats.
Grade: 3rd- 4th

89 – San Diego (via Sea.) – James Brewer (T – Indiana)
Brewer is a former basketball player with good feet and athleticism who looks like his best fit at the NFL level will be a right tackle. If someone can light a fire under his hind parts they could end up with a contributing right tackle, and Philip Rivers will not pull any punches.
Grade: 4th

90 – Baltimore – Jarvis Jenkins (DE/DT – Clemson)
Having already upgraded the pass rush, the Ravens continue to build up the defense, and add a stout run defender with the ability to get after the QB from his defensive end spot. Jenkins could be the steal of the draft at this point.

91 – Atlanta – Kendall Hunter (RB – Ok. St.)
A great compliment to the bigger backs already on roster, Hunter brings a pass catching presence out of the backfield, with great feet, good vision, and awareness. Hunter adds more explosiveness to the Falcons roster, and another unique dimension to the offense.

92 – New England – Greg Little (WR – U.N.C.)
A risky pick for the character conscious Patriots, but the added physicality and size he brings to the Patriots receiving core can only enhance it, and add a unique dimension to it. A bit of a gamble, but in reality the Pats have already traded down three times have two picks in each of the first three rounds of the 2012 draft, landed all the same players, and can take a risk.

93 – Chicago – Curtis Marsh (CB – Utah St.)
An all around athlete, whose best days are ahead of him. Marsh has natural instincts that should allow him to play zone effectively, he has the hips and size to be an effective man corner in press coverage, and size to match up with bigger receivers.

94 – N.Y.J. – Jerrell Powe (NT – Ole. Miss.)
The Jets continue to strengthen its front seven. Although Powe may never be more than a run stuffer, that’s all he needs to be.

95 – Pittsburgh – Shareece Wright (CB – U.S.C.)
Wright has smooth hips, good lateral agility, sits in the receivers hip pocket well, and competes while being controlled physically. Wright still needs to develop his ball skills, but everything else is in place.

96 – Green Bay – Pernell McPhee (DE – Miss. St.)
A stout run defender with good hand technique to shed blocks, very strong in his upper body, with some nice pass rush moves (swim and rip), make McPhee a good value pick at the end of the 3rd round. Production dipped last season with opponents focusing on him. Under rated player at this point and a steal at the end of the 3rd round.

Compensatory Picks

Carolina – Edmond Gates (WR – Abilene Christian)
The speedy Gates can stretch the field, competes for jump ball, uses his hands to catch the ball, and has very good field awareness. Needs to work on his route running, but his deep threat ability makes him a steal for the Panthers at this point in the draft
Grade: 3rd -4th

4th Round

97 – Carolina – Marcus Gilchrist (CB/S – Clemson)
Gilchrist could be a long term solution at safety, and in the short term is a nickel corner who can do it all, depending on injuries a invaluable reserve who can spot start.

98 – Seattle (via N.E. and Den.) – Johnny Patrick (CB – Louisville)Capable in both man and zone coverage, Patrick can only help as teams spread it out offensively, and offers great value in the fourth round.

99 – Buffalo – Lawrence Guy (DE – Arizona St.)
One of the more under rated prospects among the defensive lineman, Guy was constantly double teamed at Arizona State, besides holding up well at the point of attack, Guy has a good first step, and utilizes a spin move in the pass rush. Despite being very raw, Guy’s best days are ahead of him.

100 – Cincinnati – Tandon Doss (WR – Indiana)
Doss has the size, route running ability, hands, and ability to go over the middle to fit perfectly into a west coast offense like the Bengals. Gives the Bengals receiving core a physical presence.

101 – Cleveland – DeMarco Murray (RB – Oklahoma)
Murray can add a unique dimension to the Browns roster as a 3rd down back, with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and make an impact in the receiving game that Hillis and Hardesty cannot.

102 – Arizona – Jason Pinkston (T/G – Pitt.)
Pinkston might be better suited to play guard, or right tackle, but gives the Cardinals a tackle who could find his way back over to the left side in time.

103 – Philadelphia (via Wash.) – Daniel Thomas (RB – Kansas St.)
A steal in the 4th round, Thomas gives the Eagles backfield some size to go with the speed, and gives them a hammer, who can handle the short yardage and goal line situations.

104 – Houston – Colin McCarthy (LB – Miami)
McCarthy gives the Texans linebacking core an instinctual player to put next to Kevin Bentley in their 3-4 defense, and another piece of the puzzle defensively.

105 – Minnesota – Ahmad Black (FS – Florida)
Black’s lack of straight line speed drops him a good round or two, but his instincts and intangibles are top notch. Plays faster than he works out.

106 – Detroit – Cecil Shorts III (WR – Mount Union)
Despite playing D3 ball, Shorts has pro-game, and can run the route tree as well as anyone in this draft, and can play all the split, flanker or slot positions. My most under rated prospect of this draft, Shorts will need some time to adjust to the pro-game, but once he does, he should become a weapon Stafford can lean on for some time. Can run the route tree, willing to go over the middle and makes great lateral cuts.

107 – San Francisco – Ugo Chinasa (OLB/DE – Ok. St.)
Ugo is a pass rusher with all the talent of a first round pick, can speed rush, uses proper leverage, has a few different moves to go with his edge rush, has good awareness and can cover tight ends and backs. His effort however will land him in the 4th round at the earliest. With some technique work and motivation, Ugo could be one of the best pass rushers to come out of this draft.
Grade: 4th – 5th

108 – Pittsburgh (via Tennessee) – Shane Vereen (RB – California)Vereen gives the Steelers an explosive weapon on 3rd down who can catch the ball and take it to the house. While not the traditional Steelers type back, Vereen is a capable blocker, and hard runner.

109 – Dallas – Ian Williams (NT – Notre Dame)
Williams has the ability to anchor against the double team, and play two gaps. More of a classic two down run stuffer, who could help pro long Jay Ratliff’s career and effectiveness.

110 – Miami – Lance Kendricks (TE – Wisconsin)
Kendricks maybe the best pure pass catching tight end in the draft, and with no speed receivers available worthy of this pick, the Dolphins look to upgrade vertically throught the TE position.

111 – St. Louis – Jordan Todman (RB – U. Conn.)
Change of pace back to compliment and eventually replace Steven Jackson. Value pick in the 4th.

112 – Oakland – Joseph Barksdale (RT/G – L.S.U.)
Barksdale has a ton of potential that has yet to be realized. Needs to be motiviated, but could play guard and or tackle in the NFL, and has everything one would want athletically and strength wise in a prospect.
Grade: 5th

113 – Jacksonville – Jalil Brown (CB – Colorado)
Brown has all the physical tools to become a starter in the NFL, can play man or zone, and is a willing run supporter. Ceiling maybe a #2 starter, but could form a effective duo with Cox when Mathis is set out to pasture.

114 – San Francisco (via S.D.) – Taiwan Jones (RB – Eastern Washington)The 9ers backfield is a injury or two away from being completely depleted. Jones is the potential sleeper of the draft.

115 – Tampa Bay – Lee Ziemba (G /T– Auburn)
Ziemba is an aggressive blocker who excels at the run game. He looks like he should not be a strong pass protector, but always seems to get the job done. Ziemba could start at guard and work his way to tackle.

116 – N.Y.G. – Kristofer O’Dowd (C – U.S.C.)
O’Dowd can anchor vs. the bull rush, has good strength in his upper body through his hands, and is athletic enough to slide over to guard if needed. Injury concerns cause him to fall into the 4th round.

117 – Kansas City – Delone Carter (RB – Syracuse)
Carter has good vision to go with good strength and speed. Carter reminds me of Thomas Jones who is in the twilight of his career, and Carter provides a bridge into the future and compliment for Charles.

118 – Indianapolis – Tyler Sash (SS – Iowa)
Sash has experience playing in a two deep system, reads his keys very well, and can come in and compete for the starting SS spot from day one.

119 – Philadelphia – Mark Herzlich (OLB – B.C.)
The Eagles land a potential steal in the 4th round, in Mark Herzlich. Herzlich has improved the further away from his cancer he has gotten. Instinctual, and football smart, Herzlich could start immediately.
Grade: 4th – 3rd

120 – Jacksonville (via N.O.) – Chris Culliver (FS – South Carolina)Culliver has good awareness and instincts, and maintains his positional discipline, can drop down and cover slot receivers.

121 – Buffalo (via Sea.) –Sione Fua (DE/DT – Stanford)
Fua can play the nose if needed, but more importantly provides a run clogging presence behind or in place of Dwan Edwards and depth along the defensive line.

122 – Baltimore – Ryan Bartholomew (C – Syracuse)
Bartholomew has the strength to hold up against bigger defensive tackles, and is quick with good feet.
Grade: 5th – 4th

123 – Atlanta – Jordan Cameron (TE – U.S.C.)
Cameron is a athletic tight end in the mold of T-Gonz. Cameron needs work, but has the upside to take over the tight end spot in a year or two.
Grade: 4th-5th

124 – New England – Chris Conte (S – California)
Conte is still new to the safety postion, but has coverage skills and is a willing/physical tackler. Steady and reliable, I think Conte projects as strong safety with coverage skills.

125 – N.Y.J. – Bruce Miller (OLB – U.C.F.)
Miller was the conference USA defensive player of the year, gives an all out effort on every play, and is the type of effort guy, Rex Ryan loves to have on his team.

126 – Chicago – Stephen Schilling (G – Michigan)
Schilling is one of those all around types who excels at little, yet does everything and the little things well. He is strong, durable and has good athleticism, and is capable of starting from day one.
Grade: 5th – 4th

127 – Pittsburgh – Brandon Bair (DE – Oregon)
Bair has very active hands and long arms that keep defenders out of his body and allow him to shed well, and has good strength allowing him to hold his ground and set the edge.

128 – Green Bay – Cortez Allen (CB – Citadel)
Ted Thompson likes bigger corners, and lands one with quick feet, plays man coverage very well, staying in the receivers hip pocket well, and has tremendous upside.

Compensatory Picks

Tennessee – Brandon Fusco (C –Slippery Rock)
Tennessee looks to continue building the interior of the offensive line with Fusco who plays with a mean streak, has solid technique, but needs to get stronger.

Green Bay – Jacquizz Rodgers (RB – Oregon St.)
Elusive with good vision, balance, lateral agility and surprising power for a guy his size, and Rodgers can catch the ball. A change of pace back who can also be a 3rd down back, a poor man’s MJD?

5th Round

129 – Carolina – Virgil Green (TE – Nevada)
Green is a productive pass catcher, who runs good route, and catches with his hands. Green needs to improve his blocking, and is more of a receiver than a blocker.

130 – Buffalo – Buster Skrine (CB – Tennessee – Chattanooga)
Skrine has the speed, quickness and aggressiveness to play the position, with some improved technique, could work into the starting lineup in time.
Grade: 5th – 6th

131 – Cincinnati – Da’Norris Searcy (S – U.N.C.)
Searcy can play either safety spot, can drop down and cover slots and tight ends, is fluid in coverage and can make the open field tackle. Searcy can make the pick or knock the ball away, a gamer.

132 – Kansas City (via T.B./Den.) – K.J. Wright (OLB – Miss. St.)Wright has good instincts, good acceleration, and speed. Will need to develop some pass rush moves but can get after quarterbacks with his speed, and surprising power.

133 – Arizona – D.J. Williams (TE – Arkansas)
Even if Williams only comes in on passing downs, his ability to cause miss-matches will allow him to be the productive pass catcher in the Cardinals TE core. His feistiness blocking doesn’t hurt either.

134 – Cleveland – Greg Romeus (DE – Pitt.)
If teams did not have to draft for need, someone would take a chance on Romeus much earlier than this I believe. However the Browns get a potential steal in a year or two in the fifth round this year.

135 – Houston – Robert Sands (FS – West Virgina)
Sands is a hard hitter with good range getting depth in coverage, needs to work on his field awareness and discipline.

136 – Minnesota – Pat Devlin (QB – Delaware)
Devlin has good accuracy and a quick release, and displays a nice touch. Devlin does not have the strongest arm in the draft, but can make enough throws to win games. Will need time to adjust.
Grade: 6th – 5th

137 – Kansas City (via Det.) – Jah Reid (T – C.F.U.)
With solid athleticism for a big man and solid awareness, Reid needs some technique work, but is raw with an NFL body and with development could start one day.
Grade: 6th -5th

138 – Houston (via San Fran.) – Greg Salas (WR – Hawaii)
Salas gives the Texans a slot receiver who will make the tough catch in traffic, and find the hole in zone.

139 – Tennessee – Ross Homan (OLB – Ohio St.)
Homan might be the most under rated linebacker in Ohio St. history. A very heady player with great instincts and awareness, Homan reads his keys well, plays the run very well and understands zone coverage, while being able to play man a little as well.

140 – Dallas – Zach Hurd (U. Conn.)
Hurd gets a push in the run game and does so with a nasty disposition, he is also solid in pass protection with the ability to get better.

141 – Washington – Niles Paul (WR – Nebraska)
Paul can run the route tree, but needs refinement in his route running, and will work the middle of the field. Paul has tons of potential, and has yet to live up to expectations consistently.

142 – St. Louis – Kendrick Burney (CB – U.N.C.)
Burney is one of those football players who just plays the game, and understands it naturally. Rarely out of position, Burney is physical, and in a passing league has true value as a nickel/dime corner who can come in a spot start if needed. Will be a special team’s demon.

143 – Miami – Tim Barnes (C – Mizzu.)
Barnes helps get a push in the run game, and anchors the line in pass protection.
Grade: 4th -5th

144 – Jacksonville – Terrance Tolliver (WR – L.S.U.)
Tolliver is an enigma, one day he looks like a first round pick, the next he looks average at best.

145 – Oakland – Cliff Matthews (DE – South Carolina)
Matthews adds a pass rushing presence on 3rd down and depth to the Raiders defensive line.
Grade: 5th -6th

146 – Philadelphia (via S.D.) –Derek Newton (T/G – Arkansas St.)
The Eagles can never have enough big offensive lineman.

147 – Minnesota (via N.Y.G.) – Austin Pettis (WR – Boise St.)Minnesota could use some help in the receiving core, especially if Sidney Rice finds his way out of town.

148 – Tampa Bay – Rashad Carmichael (CB – Va. Tech.)
Tampa might need two new starters at corner in the next two years, and depth .

149 – Indianapolis – Casey Matthews (ILB – Oregon)
Can Gary Bracket play forever? Matthews taking over in a year just seems perfect to me.

150 – Philadelphia – Rob Housler (TE – Florida Atlantic)
Celek can do everything well, Housler however, can open up the field on 3rd down, adding a unique dimension to the Eagles offense.

151 – Detroit (via K.C.) – Stevan Ridley (RB – L.S.U.)
Ridley is a violent runner who will round out the Lions backfield. Ridley will not run away from many NFL defenders, but he will gain chunks of yards in between the tackles, wear down a defense and be an excellent short yardage and goal line back who is flying under the radar at this point in the process.

152 – Washington (via N.O.) – Chris Neild (NT – West Virginia)
Neild is nothing more than a run stuffing nose tackle, who can hold his ground at the point of attack. Just what the skins need to anchor their 3-4 defense.
Grade: 6th

153 – Seattle – Martin Parker (DT – Richmond)
Parker is a solid three technique prospect with good footwork and use of his hands. Parker has improved every year at the college level, and has the upside to make an impact at the NFL level in the near future.

154 – Seattle (via Balt.) – Keith Williams (G – Nebraska)
I am not sure what Seattle is going to do with Spencer, Unger, Andrews, and Co. but I am fairly certain reinforcements will be needed, and Williams at the least paves the way for Lynch and Co.

155 – Atlanta – Byron Stingily (LT – Louisville)
While raw and in need to technique refinement, Stingily has the athleticism and good enough understanding of the game, to push for PT in the future as a developmental prospect with good upside.

156 – Washington (via New England) – Jake Kirkpatrick (C – T.C.U.)
In the 2010 draft the Skins took Trent Williams over Russell Okung because of his fit into their system, they make a similar move in the 2011 draft, taking Kirkpatrick who fits the system over higher rated centers.
Grade: 6th – 7th

157 – Chicago – Zane Taylor (C – Utah)
Smart, tough, solid in run blocking and pass protection, and competitive . Sounds like a Bear to me.
Grade: 6th - 7th

158 – N.Y.J. – Ronald Johnson (WR – U.S.C.)
Who will catch passes from Mark Sanchez next time professional football is played?

159 – Pittsburgh – Jeremy Beal (ILB – Oklahoma)
Pittsburgh could go in several directions with this pick, and looks to Beal to provide the consistency and hustle in the middle of their defense that he did on the edge of Oklahoma’s.

160 – Green Bay –Greg McElroy (QB – Alabama)
So many teams need QB’s that Matt Flynn could be traded for value, McElroy can replace him.

Compensatory Picks

Baltimore – Nathan Enderle (QB – Idaho)
The Ravens need a back up QB, especially if Bulger leaves, even if he doesn’t.
Grade: 6th – 7th

Baltimore – Mark LeGree (FS – Appalachian State)
My second most under rated player in the draft, small school prospect with big boy production and ability. Even with teams avoiding him, he still makes big plays, has a natural ability to play the game, and understands it at a high level. Flying up my board, and in 5 years will have taken over for the retired Ed Reed and people will wish they had grabbed him in the early rounds.
Grade: 4th -5th

BradysKnee
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Depending on Chris Carter's health good Pats draft.

FordFairlane
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I like the trade down for the Steelers. I think if Mallett and or Ponder fall the Steelers might have a chance at trading down and still getting a player they are targeting. I might of drafted a little different than you but you did fill all the needs for the Steelers.

zachsaints52
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
A

24 – New Orleans – Corey Luiget (DT – Illinois)
New Orleans looks to take the best available defensive player with this pick, and grab the fast rising Luiget to pair with Sedrick Ellis. Having played both the 3 technique and nose spots at Illinois will allow the Saints some flexability with how the use both Ellis and Luiget inside. Luiget can play the run and the pass, and has very good shedding skills. Luiget keeps his head up and is has good awareness skills to go with very good strength, quick feet, and a good first step. Is Shaun Rogers the long term answer? I have him as the BPA at this spot, but would not be surprised if they went with Justin Houston, under the belief that he can stick his hand in the dirt and play DE. Luiget is making a strong pre draft run and could end up going higher than Nick Fairley if Fairley shoots himself in the foot.
Grade:1st-2nd Round – Previous Picks: J.J. Watt and Bruce Carter

56 – New Orleans – Mason Foster (OLB – Washington)
Foster is one of the best pure tacklers in the draft, a capable blitzer, whose head is always on a swivel. His best football is ahead of him, and he has been productive since setting foot on campus.

72 – New Orleans (via Wash.) – Allen Bailey (DE – Miami)
Not the pure pass rusher New Orleans may desire, but Bailey has an upside to him that if untapped could make this pick a potential steal down the road. Solid against the run with good lateral agility, if Bailey can develop and use a couple counter pass rushing moves consistently he could reach his potential. If you are impressed by men’s physiques then you will love Bailey.

88 – New Orleans – Demarcus Love (G/T – Arkansas)
New Orleans could use some reinforcements along the offensive line in terms of depth, and despite his stock falling recently, Love can play RT and G, allowing for flexibility along their offensive line, and a possible starter once Jon Stinchcomb hangs up the cleats.
Grade: 3rd- 4th

Poz, you know me, I love your drafts, but if we get this draft I wouldn't be a happy Saints fan.

Liguet could be a solid player, but we need a NT all the way, not a guy who can play both. Keep Ellis at his natural 3 tech and let him pass rush the guy.

Foster and Bailey good picks, wouldn't mind them.

But the Love pick is questionable at best. I understand the need for depth, but RT we have Stinch now and his replacement already in Bushrod. We drafted Brown with the future line of Brown at LT and Bushrod at RT.

DI
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Tyron Smith, Mikel LeShoure, Nate Irving and Kris O'Dowd would be hard to argue with as a Giant fan. I'd personally be torn between LeShoure and Mason Foster with our second round pick but great job nonetheless

Grizzlegom
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Love the Phins draft.

StrikeAnywhere
04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
46 – Denver (via Miami) – Danny Watkins (G – Baylor)The Bronco’s look to upgrade the offensive line with the mature Watkins, whose work ethic will blend right in with Coach Fox, and his nasty demeanor and push in the run game will not hurt either.

This is the only pick I am not sure about in the Denver class. We have a big need at tackle, I don't see them taking a guard unless he has the potential to kick outside.

Other than this selection this is an extremely good Denver draft.

Pat Sims 90
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Not a Fan of the Bengals draft.

I am fine with Patrick Peterson but i doubt they make this pick because they still want to try and keep Jonathan Joseph and if they make this pick then i mean Joseph is gone. AJ Green seem like a better pick

Nate Solder is a pretty terrible pick Andrew Whitworth had a Pro Bowl type year at LT last year and they still have Andre Smith on the roster as a RT.
Solder is not a RT he gets beat a lot on his right side which is not good for a RT. Andy Dalton would be a better pick.

Waiting to address QB till the 3rd round is a terrible idea because who ever they draft is going to be the starter. QB should be addressed in the 1st or 2d round. Will Rackley would be a better pick in the 3rd since OG is the biggest weakest.

Doss not upgrade the WRs that they already have. He won't beat out Simpson or Caldwell for #1 or #2 and Shipley is set in the slot.

Searcy is fine in the 5th.

Hines
04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I can dig the Steelers draft.

T-RICH49
04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
no complaints about KC's draft.well done

rawdawg
04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
29 – Chicago – Gabe Carimi (T – Wisconsin)
62 – Chicago – Drake Nevis (DT – L.S.U.)
93 – Chicago – Curtis Marsh (CB – Utah St.)
126 – Chicago – Stephen Schilling (G – Michigan)
157 – Chicago – Zane Taylor (C – Utah)

Not bad. Love the first 3 picks. I'd prefer a G with more upside in the 4th and to wait for the 6th to draft Taylor, if at all. All signs point to Kruetz being back, so I'd rather wait a year on the C position and bring in a LB, S, RB, or backup QB late.

Poz51
04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Depending on Chris Carter's health good Pats draft.

I have not heard anything lately about his health, did I miss something?

Poz51
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I like the trade down for the Steelers. I think if Mallett and or Ponder fall the Steelers might have a chance at trading down and still getting a player they are targeting. I might of drafted a little different than you but you did fill all the needs for the Steelers.

I think there is a good chance their board is pretty well destroyed, and a trade down is likely for them, and getting a player they target, while adding another pick. I went in a couple different directions with the Steelers before this mock, and am interested in which direction you are thinking given how this mock played out.

Poz51
04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Poz, you know me, I love your drafts, but if we get this draft I wouldn't be a happy Saints fan.

Liguet could be a solid player, but we need a NT all the way, not a guy who can play both. Keep Ellis at his natural 3 tech and let him pass rush the guy.

Foster and Bailey good picks, wouldn't mind them.

But the Love pick is questionable at best. I understand the need for depth, but RT we have Stinch now and his replacement already in Bushrod. We drafted Brown with the future line of Brown at LT and Bushrod at RT.

Honestly I was all tied up with the Saints in both the first and third round, and along with the bengals, the saints draft was my least favorite. I had a feeling Saints fans would not be over joyed with this mock in general.
Luiget I see what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree that a NT is a pure need all the way. I am not a huge fan of Liguet, but I like the way he anchors, keeps his head up, finds/identifies the play and reacts. I think Luiget can be a 3 down player, playing the nose, allowing Ellis to stay at the 3 for all three downs, and Luiget stays on the field and rushes the passer from the nose on 2nd and 3rd down. I certainly respect your opinion, I wanted to go in another direction, and flirted with Houston several times, even considering Ayers to stick his hand in the ground, but in the end went with the value, I really did not like the saint board I had, and could not go with a RB.
The Foster pick took about two seconds, I love it, and the fit.
Bailey I am not a big fan of, but I think he fits them, and does have potential.
I am higher on Love than most, I agree that the future is in place, and the present is pretty well covered, I just think Love being able to play L/R-T/G covers injuries, hold outs, and anything else that may occur. I did however certainly see objections and general dislike of the pick would understandably occur.
I always enjoy getting your and another Saints fan input, and would like to know what direction you would go in given who is available, like I said I had a hard time with the Saints. I appreciate the feed back!

Poz51
04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Tyron Smith, Mikel LeShoure, Nate Irving and Kris O'Dowd would be hard to argue with as a Giant fan. I'd personally be torn between LeShoure and Mason Foster with our second round pick but great job nonetheless

I thought it was a quality draft for the giants, in all honesty it was between Foster and LeShoure for me, I had LeShoure higher on my board, so I went with him, I like Irving and have him higher than most, Smith I am on the fence with, but do see the talent and potential, O'Dowd if healthy is a steal IMO, if not its an acceptable risk IMO. I appreciate it, thanks for the feedback!

GoRavens
04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
one of the best Ravens mocks on this damn site.
If you gave us Kendall Hunter it'd be an A+

Smash28Dash34
04-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I like the idea of the Panthers getting gilchrist, green and gates.

Heisman
04-16-2011, 12:58 AM
The Vikings future at quarterback is Pat "only an NFL prospect because Joe Flacco went to Deleware too and I was late for my pro day" Devlin? Why did you decide you were gonna bone the Vikings when it comes to QB's? What tipped you off that we wouldn't draft one high, the fact that the front office said we will be looking to draft a QB in the first two rounds? I really like a lot of the things you did in this mock but how you handled the QB situation was weird... like having Washington trade back for more picks and then trade away picks to move back up for Locker who they passed on already.

49erNation85
04-16-2011, 01:55 AM
a very solid sf mock.

drd23
04-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Besides Bartholomew who I believe doesnt belong anywhere near the 4th round, its a pretty good Ravens mock

wicket
04-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Honestly I was all tied up with the Saints in both the first and third round, and along with the bengals, the saints draft was my least favorite. I had a feeling Saints fans would not be over joyed with this mock in general.
Luiget I see what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree that a NT is a pure need all the way. I am not a huge fan of Liguet, but I like the way he anchors, keeps his head up, finds/identifies the play and reacts. I think Luiget can be a 3 down player, playing the nose, allowing Ellis to stay at the 3 for all three downs, and Luiget stays on the field and rushes the passer from the nose on 2nd and 3rd down. I certainly respect your opinion, I wanted to go in another direction, and flirted with Houston several times, even considering Ayers to stick his hand in the ground, but in the end went with the value, I really did not like the saint board I had, and could not go with a RB.
The Foster pick took about two seconds, I love it, and the fit.
Bailey I am not a big fan of, but I think he fits them, and does have potential.
I am higher on Love than most, I agree that the future is in place, and the present is pretty well covered, I just think Love being able to play L/R-T/G covers injuries, hold outs, and anything else that may occur. I did however certainly see objections and general dislike of the pick would understandably occur.
I always enjoy getting your and another Saints fan input, and would like to know what direction you would go in given who is available, like I said I had a hard time with the Saints. I appreciate the feed back!

I respectfully disagree, liuget is a pure UT, a strong one but still a pure UT in the pros who doesnt fit well in the occasional 3 man front.

I agree with you that Foster is a good pick

I HATE Bailey in the 4-3 and think he should be a 3-4 end all the way but at that point he does offer decent value.

Love is a tackle and the saints are 2 deep at both spot and Id be comfortable starting all 4 of em (not at the same time), therefore id look at a pure guard if you want to go OLine (but please dont).

Given the board Id go with:
1 Well actually id go with a tradedown given the board, there is bound to be a team that would want to jump over seattle for a QB and the board is really really thin. If need be that I chose on the spot Id possibly go Paea who I just like better than Liuget and he can play both tackle spots like Ellis making the rotation on that spot easier.

2 I have no issues witht he Mason Foster pick at all.

3a Id go Kenrick Ellis (depending on what happens in the first) or Greg Jones
3b Id prolly go Pernell McPhee, maybe Kendall Hunter

FordFairlane
04-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I think there is a good chance their board is pretty well destroyed, and a trade down is likely for them, and getting a player they target, while adding another pick. I went in a couple different directions with the Steelers before this mock, and am interested in which direction you are thinking given how this mock played out.

Well, if I stayed at #31 I take Castonzo. He could be a LT in a season or two and would compete for the RT spot with Adams(if he does not retire), and Colon(if he is healthy enough).

If I traded down with the Titans it depends on the value the Steelers place on Williams. If they truly believe he can play CB I would take him. If they are not sure and think CB or FS I would take the higher on my board between Franklin and Cannon. I see Cannon as having the athleticism while Franklin has the demeanor and technique.

And with the next pick if I take Aaron Williams Ijalana is a no brainer. But if I took Franklin or Cannon, Ijalana is still an option. If the Steelers have him ranked at an early second rounder they might double dip on the position to help save Ben Roethlisberger from an early retirement. But I would most likely take Ras-I Dowling or Curtis Brown. I personally have Dowling a little ahead of Brown. But wouldn't be upset either way.

So at this point lets just say I went Cannon and Dowling. I would go Lawrence Guy DE ASU. Guy would fit a need and a pretty good value. I don't like that his production has decreased every year and he is coming out early after coming of a so-so year. But he is a nice fit for the 34 and the Steelers really need a replacement for Smith and Keisel.

So at this point I filled all big need positions. But that doesn't stop me from going back to the well and making sure I sured up the holes in line and secondary. I would take a long hard look at Rashad Carmichael but in the end I would go with Jah Reid. Reid looks to be a natural tackle and at this point in the draft is a steal. Cannon has potential at LT, LG, RG, and RT and Reid has potential at LT and RT. That should sure up the line for the next few years.

So at this point I have double up on o-line taken a CB and DE. So positions of need are a replacement NT for Hampton in a few years and Maybe another CB. If Taylor leaves via free agency that would leave McFadden and Dowling as the starters and *** staying at Nickel. So I go with DeMarcus Van Dyke CB Miami. He is 175lbs but has a frame to play 20lbs heavier. I start him off as a dime back and have him hit the weight and lunch room and hope he can add 15lbs of good muscle while keeping his speed sub 4.4.

With my sixth round pick I would take Anthony Gray NT Southern Miss. He has the same body structure as Hampton and similar stats.

Then in the 7th best TE, RB, ILB, QB.

CashmoneyDrew
04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Never mind. I is dumb.

703SKINS202
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I think this is a very plausible Skins draft, I love Jordan and we definitely need a QB at some point. Great work.

Seasonticketholder
04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I do not like this draft for the Saints at all! The Saints will not take Corey Liuget over Mark Ingram. I can guarantee you this. Liuget does not even fill a need. He plays the same position as Sedrick Ellis. I am all for depth but I would prefer drafting for such depth after the first round.

My picks for the Saints would be:

1. Mark Ingram--If we could trade down and get him, great!

2. Mason Foster, LB

3a. Kenrick Ellis, NT
3b. Greg Romeus, DE--We could even try to trade down, get Romeus or someone like Tyler Sash.

indyfan1985
04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Give the Colts LT Anthony Castonzo in the 1st and then its an outstanding draft!

zachsaints52
04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
For me going by what you have, I would love this:

1. Brooks Reed
2. Sam Acho
3. Kenrick Ellis
3. Kris O'Dowd

Reason being: We get our 3 biggest defensive needs in OLB/DE/and run stuffing NT. And Kris O'Dowd is my homer pick for OL, mainly because I firmly believe the Saints need a upgrade over Goodwin(horrible) and Like youve mentioned he can slide to OG. We have the OT in Bushrod, Stinch, Brown, and Strief (who lines up as 3rd TE alot) so for the OT we have the depth, but Kris would be my <3

Iamcanadian
04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I really like the Buff/Arizona trade, it makes a lot of sense to me.
Having a hard time seeing Washington passing on Jones especially if they are bringing in a rookie QB.
I think a St. Louis/Dallas trade is more likely.
I think I heard that Houston will switch to a 3-4 defense so your drafting Quinn to play OLB, right.
My experience is telling me that Bowers will now be a 2nd rounder. Sad, but that is the draft.
I don't like Wilkerson that high but it isn't impossible.
Clayborn however doesn't fit the type of DE that Tampa is looking for in a Tampa 2 defense.
Constanzo, Solder, Sherrod, it will be interesting to see which order they are taken but in general, I think you are way too hard on the OT group as a whole.
IMO, Houston is strictly a 4-3 DE at the next level, but that is just my opinion.
Torrie Smith won't go round 1, he is definitely a round 2 guy.
There is no way Watkins and Austin go that low. Both are at least late round 1 prospects who at worst will go very early round 2.
Bruce Carter has to sit a year so it will be a team like NE or Pittsburgh who will draft him, certainly a team strong enough to carry him for that year.
Very nice effort and a lot of hard work.

Orakpowned
04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Quinn will be a Redskin if he's at 10.

Iamcanadian
04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Quinn will be a Redskin if he's at 10.

Somehow I doubt it, it is one thing to have one LB who is used almost exclusively to rush the passer because he is weak in coverage, but it is really not possible to have 2 OLB's who cannot cover.

jCut
04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Hmm.. Can Watkins play tackle? Denver badly needs a RT. Marcus Cannon might be a better fit.

Other than that, bravo for Denver.

J-Mike88
04-17-2011, 12:52 PM
32 – Green Bay – Brooks Reed (OLB – Arizona)
Teaming Reed with Matthews just makes sense, and would give offensive coordinators and quarterbacks alike nightmares. I could see the Packers going with a guard, tackle, receiver or corner, but with little on the value front, and the lack of potential 3-4 OLB’s in the second round, and value at other positions later in the draft, the Pack upgrade the pass rush. With the depth on the Packers roster, I have them as a dark horse to trade up and land someone they truly covet. However Reed opposite Matthews makes too much sense to pass on if they stay pat.

64 – Green Bay – Randall Cobb (WR – Kentucky)
Excellent route runner, fantastic hands, gets in and out of his cuts very quickly. Value pick.

96 – Green Bay – Pernell McPhee (DE – Miss. St.)
A stout run defender with good hand technique to shed blocks, very strong in his upper body, with some nice pass rush moves (swim and rip), make McPhee a good value pick at the end of the 3rd round. Production dipped last season with opponents focusing on him. Under rated player at this point and a steal at the end of the 3rd round.

128 – Green Bay – Cortez Allen (CB – Citadel)
Ted Thompson likes bigger corners, and lands one with quick feet, plays man coverage very well, staying in the receivers hip pocket well, and has tremendous upside.

Compensatory Picks

Green Bay – Jacquizz Rodgers (RB – Oregon St.)
Elusive with good vision, balance, lateral agility and surprising power for a guy his size, and Rodgers can catch the ball. A change of pace back who can also be a 3rd down back, a poor man’s MJD?

160 – Green Bay –Greg McElroy (QB – Alabama)
So many teams need QB’s that Matt Flynn could be traded for value, McElroy can replace him.
I'll take that draft in a heartbeat! Well done.
Brooks Reed is a dream match with Matthews. However, I suspect the GM and coaches are, surprisingly, content with Zombo, Walden, and Brad Jones. Remember, last year we all thought an OLB was an early need, but Packer brass didn't. They didn't take a single OLB in the whole draft. Part of that was because they truly think Brad Jones is going to become a good one. But now he's been knicked up both seasons though. Still, they did okay with Zombo and Walden and both guys improved throughout the course of the year. Still, I love Reed with Matthews.

Randall Cobb would be awesome, and between him and JaQuizz, this team finally should get some big plays at PR & KR.
I love JaQuizz, but he's more Darren Sproles IMO than poor-man's MJD. I don't think JaQuizz could ever handle a load like MoJo does.

CB Cortez Allen is a guy I really want, and whom I feel fits the mold for the Packers CBs.

The only thing missing here (did I miss it?) is an offensive tackle. Bulaga will be the guy either on the right or left side, but whoever comes next after Clifton, nobody knows at this point. I could see an OT being taken in round one instead of an OLB.

Orakpowned
04-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Somehow I doubt it, it is one thing to have one LB who is used almost exclusively to rush the passer because he is weak in coverage, but it is really not possible to have 2 OLB's who cannot cover.

If Robert Quinn is on the board at 10, he will be a Washington Redskin.

ruthlessrussian
04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Poz...your mock completes me.

thebow305
04-17-2011, 11:37 PM
McElroy or Enderle would make more sense for Miami in the 5th, but other than that, nice job!

Iamcanadian
04-19-2011, 01:35 AM
If Robert Quinn is on the board at 10, he will be a Washington Redskin.

Well, there is talk of Mallett going to Washington at 10 since his college HC who has a strong background in NFL coaching, gave him a very good recommendation character wise which apparently carries a lot of weight within NFL circles.
So you are saying that Washington will go with 2 OLB's who cannot cover a WR if their life depended on it. Considering no 3-4 team uses this concept, I somehow doubt it will happen. At least 1 OLB has to be solid in coverage.

Iamcanadian
04-19-2011, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=J-Mike88;2575189]I'll take that draft in a heartbeat! Well done.
Brooks Reed is a dream match with Matthews. However, I suspect the GM and coaches are, surprisingly, content with Zombo, Walden, and Brad Jones. Remember, last year we all thought an OLB was an early need, but Packer brass didn't. They didn't take a single OLB in the whole draft. Part of that was because they truly think Brad Jones is going to become a good one. But now he's been knicked up both seasons though. Still, they did okay with Zombo and Walden and both guys improved throughout the course of the year. Still, I love Reed with Matthews.

I'll say the same thing I told the Washington fan who wanted Quinn to match up as a pass rusher opposite Orakpo.
3-4 teams cannot have 2 OLB's who can only be used to rush the passer. Neither Matthews nor Reed are good in coverage and the 3-4 defense requires at least 1 OLB be solid in covering pass receivers. Not a good pick for GB IMO. They need OLmen.

jCut
04-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, there is talk of Mallett going to Washington at 10 since his college HC who has a strong background in NFL coaching, gave him a very good recommendation character wise which apparently carries a lot of weight within NFL circles.

If there's one thing I know about Shanahan, it's that he loves signal-callers who can throw on the run and use their athleticism outside the pocket. Mallett just doesn't fit the profile.

Iamcanadian
04-19-2011, 02:20 AM
If there's one thing I know about Shanahan, it's that he loves signal-callers who can throw on the run and use their athleticism outside the pocket. Mallett just doesn't fit the profile.

They talked about that exact thing on NFLN but also pointed out that he also liked QB's with great arms, Elway and Cutler.
I don't think it is a sure thing by any means, but Washington is desperate and Shanahan is probably on a short leash after McNabb/ Haynesworth debacle, and needs a QB and Mallett is the most pro ready??????

IwannatalktoSampson
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
A+ Lions mock. Nice job

Poz51
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Love the Phins draft.

Thanks, I appreciate that, thought I would catch some flack for the Pouncey pick, glad the initial dolphins post liked it. I thought it was a very good mock for the Phins, Williams is a steal in the 3rd, and although QB was not addressed, the Dolphins did not force the issue, and improved the team overall, and give Henne a better chance to succeed and prove himself. I appreciate the feedback!

Poz51
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
This is the only pick I am not sure about in the Denver class. We have a big need at tackle, I don't see them taking a guard unless he has the potential to kick outside.

Other than this selection this is an extremely good Denver draft.

Watkins played LT at Baylor for two years, his hockey back ground would lead me to believe that transitioning over the right side would not be a problem (footwork wise), although I think his best position still is guard, I might be in the minority, but I have no problem with him at RT, where as Mike Mayock says; "Plug and Play" either spot IMO. I think similarly to Andy Levitre for Buffalo, if need be he can slide back over to LT and spot start productively... I think his value at that spot, despite being 27 is just too much to pass up. Appreciate the feedback, I was a little worried about the Denver draft, although I liked it alot...

jCut
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
They talked about that exact thing on NFLN but also pointed out that he also liked QB's with great arms, Elway and Cutler.
I don't think it is a sure thing by any means, but Washington is desperate and Shanahan is probably on a short leash after McNabb/ Haynesworth debacle, and needs a QB and Mallett is the most pro ready??????

Cam Newton has both the strong arm and the athleticism. I guarantee Shanny is salivating over him. Trade-up with Denver maybe?

Poz51
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Not a Fan of the Bengals draft.

I am fine with Patrick Peterson but i doubt they make this pick because they still want to try and keep Jonathan Joseph and if they make this pick then i mean Joseph is gone. AJ Green seem like a better pick

Nate Solder is a pretty terrible pick Andrew Whitworth had a Pro Bowl type year at LT last year and they still have Andre Smith on the roster as a RT.
Solder is not a RT he gets beat a lot on his right side which is not good for a RT. Andy Dalton would be a better pick.

Waiting to address QB till the 3rd round is a terrible idea because who ever they draft is going to be the starter. QB should be addressed in the 1st or 2d round. Will Rackley would be a better pick in the 3rd since OG is the biggest weakest.

Doss not upgrade the WRs that they already have. He won't beat out Simpson or Caldwell for #1 or #2 and Shipley is set in the slot.

Searcy is fine in the 5th.

The bengals and the Saints drafts were probably my least favorite, and I thought would receive the most criticism.

I went under the pretense that Joseph was leaving, if he stays, I think green is the pick. Honestly I have no idea either way, Peterson could slide over and play safety if they resign Joseph, but if they resign him before the draft, I do think they take Green.

I thought Solder would allow Whitworth to move over to guard, and possibly other schuffling along the Bengals offensive line, strengthening at least two spots with one pick. Daulton maybe a better pick, but I had Solder rated higher, and thought the addressing the pass protection was a bigger priority.
I am higher on Stanzi now than most, and think he is one of the most, if the most pro ready QB in the draft, in terms of his development at the college level. Dalton is probably a better WC QB in terms of fit though, and Green, Dalton, Rackley makes alot of sense. I could see that, although I see more value in the Peterson, Solder, Stanzi picks, however Green, Dalton, Rackley maybe more practical. I see what your saying.

I think Doss adds size and physicality to the receiving core, and is a potential #1 or #2, not right away, but within a year or two. I like him more than Caldwell or Simpson in the WC system, or as a compliment to one of them. I love Shipley in the slot, but you know that from my mocks last year for the Bengals. I actually liken him to Julio Jones, and think a WC team takes him earlier than expected, not saying that he is on that level yet, but I see similarities in them.

I like Searcy alot, and think he surprises people in a couple years with how he turns out, he has a good understanding of the game.
I look forward to your rebuttle, and appreciate the feedback.

Poz51
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I can dig the Steelers draft.

I like the trade down, getting Williams and Vereen later, I though it was a good draft for them, upgraded the secondary, gave them a 3rd down threat out of the backfield, and gave them some pieces for the future. I appreciate the support ;)

Poz51
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
no complaints about KC's draft.well done

Thank man, I appreciate it!!

Pat Sims 90
04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
The bengals and the Saints drafts were probably my least favorite, and I thought would receive the most criticism.

I went under the pretense that Joseph was leaving, if he stays, I think green is the pick. Honestly I have no idea either way, Peterson could slide over and play safety if they resign Joseph, but if they resign him before the draft, I do think they take Green.

I thought Solder would allow Whitworth to move over to guard, and possibly other schuffling along the Bengals offensive line, strengthening at least two spots with one pick. Daulton maybe a better pick, but I had Solder rated higher, and thought the addressing the pass protection was a bigger priority.
I am higher on Stanzi now than most, and think he is one of the most, if the most pro ready QB in the draft, in terms of his development at the college level. Dalton is probably a better WC QB in terms of fit though, and Green, Dalton, Rackley makes alot of sense. I could see that, although I see more value in the Peterson, Solder, Stanzi picks, however Green, Dalton, Rackley maybe more practical. I see what your saying.

I think Doss adds size and physicality to the receiving core, and is a potential #1 or #2, not right away, but within a year or two. I like him more than Caldwell or Simpson in the WC system, or as a compliment to one of them. I love Shipley in the slot, but you know that from my mocks last year for the Bengals. I actually liken him to Julio Jones, and think a WC team takes him earlier than expected, not saying that he is on that level yet, but I see similarities in them.

I like Searcy alot, and think he surprises people in a couple years with how he turns out, he has a good understanding of the game.
I look forward to your rebuttle, and appreciate the feedback.

The Bengals don't value safety position enough to warrant taking a one in the 1st round especially in the top 5. Joseph wants to come back and if he does not they still have Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Morgen Trent, and Brandon Ghee still on the roster.

Whitworth is a better tackle then a Guard. He gave up 4 sacks and no sacks in the division with Woodley, Harrison, and Suggs last year playing in one of the tougher division in football. Solder just does not fit what the Bengals like at OL he is not real physical and can only play 1 position. The Bengal like physical OL that can play more then 1 position.

Stanzi is not a great fit in the Bengals WC offense and the Bengals have no linkage to Stanzi. A QB looks like it is going to coveted in the 2nd round with either Ponder, Dalton, Mallet, or Locker. Jay Gruden i guess has a man crush on Ponder and Dalton from what i have read.

The Bengals need a #1 WR to come in a contribute right away. They don't have the luxury of draft a WR that will take sometime to develop as a #1 that is why WR will more then likely be a 1st round pick.

Safety is a need but the Bengals hardly ever address it thought the draft. But Searcy is fine but i don't know if the Bengals will take a Safety this year seems like they always pass on them.

Poz51
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
The Bengals don't value safety position enough to warrant taking a one in the 1st round especially in the top 5. Joseph wants to come back and if he does not they still have Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Morgen Trent, and Brandon Ghee still on the roster.

Whitworth is a better tackle then a Guard. He gave up 4 sacks and no sacks in the division with Woodley, Harrison, and Suggs last year playing in one of the tougher division in football. Solder just does not fit what the Bengals like at OL he is not real physical and can only play 1 position. The Bengal like physical OL that can play more then 1 position.

Stanzi is not a great fit in the Bengals WC offense and the Bengals have no linkage to Stanzi. A QB looks like it is going to coveted in the 2nd round with either Ponder, Dalton, Mallet, or Locker. Jay Gruden i guess has a man crush on Ponder and Dalton from what i have read.

The Bengals need a #1 WR to come in a contribute right away. They don't have the luxury of draft a WR that will take sometime to develop as a #1 that is why WR will more then likely be a 1st round pick.

Safety is a need but the Bengals hardly ever address it thought the draft. But Searcy is fine but i don't know if the Bengals will take a Safety this year seems like they always pass on them.

Fair enough, definetly a $h!tty Bengals mock then.... Hopefully Ill have time next week to forth a better effort. I appreciate it!

Poz51
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Not bad. Love the first 3 picks. I'd prefer a G with more upside in the 4th and to wait for the 6th to draft Taylor, if at all. All signs point to Kruetz being back, so I'd rather wait a year on the C position and bring in a LB, S, RB, or backup QB late.

I can understand the Taylor issue, although I like him more than most do, similarly to Bartholemew out of Syracuse. Who would you switch out, or rather pick in thier places?

Poz51
04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
one of the best Ravens mocks on this damn site.
If you gave us Kendall Hunter it'd be an A+

Thanks I appreciate that!! I was actaully thinking Ridley at RB over Barthalmew in the 4th as a power back, had not thought about Hunter to Baltimore. Do you think Hunter compliments Rice?

Poz51
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I like the idea of the Panthers getting gilchrist, green and gates.

Although I am not very high on Casey, this Panthers mock was one of my favorites, I thought it added alot of pieces to compliment those already in place, and accelerate the turn around in Carolina, which I think is capable quickly if they get the QB situation straight.... Appreciate the feedback :)

Poz51
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
The Vikings future at quarterback is Pat "only an NFL prospect because Joe Flacco went to Deleware too and I was late for my pro day" Devlin? Why did you decide you were gonna bone the Vikings when it comes to QB's? What tipped you off that we wouldn't draft one high, the fact that the front office said we will be looking to draft a QB in the first two rounds? I really like a lot of the things you did in this mock but how you handled the QB situation was weird... like having Washington trade back for more picks and then trade away picks to move back up for Locker who they passed on already.

I had a trade in place with Buffalo to take Kaepernick or Dalton with the 34rd pick, but the value was too scewed against Minnesota to actually do it.
I dont associate Devlin with Flacco at all, that is flat out stupid, just as I dont associate Trent Edwards with John Elway, Rick Mirer with Joe Montana or Tom Brady with Chad Henne, and at no point did I decide to "bone" the Vikings when it came to QB's.
Front offices say alot of things but things do not always work out, and I would certainly agree that the Vikings need a QB. I think they will end up with McNabb personally, but I think the need for QB's in this draft is greater than the supply. Which is why they all will go much higher than they should IMO.
Trading back in the first round, then trading up like the Bronco's did last year for a QB is weird? The Skins trading back landing Cameron Jordan who is a defensive upgrade they despritely need, and using the extra pick to move up and pick up Locker who's value is more appropriate at the end of the first round then in the top 10 is weird? I respectfully disagree.

STsACE
04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
For the Browns.

Green in 1st. Yes.

Gilbert in 3rd. Yes.

Romeus in 5th. Yes, nice value.

Only question marks I got is Ayers in 2nd and Murray in 4th.

It's quiet on Ayers right now, not getting lots of hype or getting beat down. Could be a good thing as he's sound and sitting right where he should. Our DBs need upgrading and Williams from Texas would make better sense as we are pretty deep at LB/DE guys. We need another Safety and CB, so he's got a great chance to excel at one while upgrading us. Elam is most likely looking to get paid once a new CBA comes in as he's a FA, he's not worth big money, so a younger guy who's versatile would be better spent money.

Murray in 4th.....? Not the player, but the reasoning. Hillis has tremendous hands out of the backfield, Hardesty, we don't know as he missed last year. If Murray is our pick just for his receiving, then I'd rather take another WR. Short III out of Mount Union is someone we really seem to like. With a new coach and scheme.....once again, it makes sense adding another WR as Robo, Cribbs and Mitchell look to be the most likely to stay. MoMass needs to get it together and adding Short could be a nice insurance as a 4th or 5th WR on the team after picking up Green in the 1st.

FlyingElvis
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Absolutely stellar. Now all you need to do is reassure me the Pats will mend the fences and re-sign Logan Mankins. :)

2011 Mock Draft

17 – New England (via Oakland) – Cameron Heyward (DE – O.S.U.)
A 5 technique with the skill set that the Patriots love. Good strength, long, with very good athleticism, and a good work ethic. Heyward can play two gaps, showing good containment discipline and the ability to crash down on inside running plays. The run on OLB’s and DE’s almost puts New England in a position to trade down and start wheeling and dealing early, but grab Heyward and solidify their defense in the trenches rather than reach on a pass rusher.
Grade: 1st Round – Previous Picks: Ryan Kerrigan and Derek Sherrod

* Trade * The Patriots send the 28th pick in the 1st round and the 156th pick in the 5th round to the Redskins for the 41st pick in the 2nd round and the 78th pick in the 3rd round. Trade value: New England 689 to Washington 690. -1 Washington.

2nd Round

33 – New England (via Car.) – Anthony Castonzo (T – Boston College)Smart, athletic, and physical, Castonzo could be the blindside protector that takes over for Matt Light, or he could allow Sebastian Vollmer to slide over to LT, and take over the right side. Either way Castonzo offer versatility, even showing during the senior bowl that he can play guard. Castonzo needs to get stronger so he can drive block and anchor, but has solid technique and good initial quickness. Doing what New England does, they trade out of the 28th pick and get there man with the 33rd, while picking up an extra 3rd round pick to play with.
Grade: 2nd – 1st RoundGrade: 1st Round

41 – New England (via Washington) – Mark Ingram (RB – Alabama)Shocker, the Pats are milking the board and grabbing great value as they do so, landing a 1st round tackle in the second round already, now landing a first round running back in the second round to further balance their offense.

60 – New England – Chris Carter (OLB – Fresno St.)
The 2010 WAC Defensive Player of the Year is tough and has an explosive first step. He needs to develop some pass rush and counter moves, but does posses a nice spin move and has great speed off the edge. Reports are that he is up to 248 and has kept his speed at that weight, Carter has been working with Willie McGinest on his drops in pass coverage in the off season.

3rd Round

* Trade * New England Trades the 74th pick in the 3rd round to Baltimore for the Ravens 2nd round pick in 2012.

78 – New England (via Washington /St. Louis) – Clint Boling (G/T – Georgia)One way or another, the future of the offensive line is looking up with this draft. Boling provides a potential starting right guard and depth at tackle.

92 – New England – Greg Little (WR – U.N.C.)
A risky pick for the character conscious Patriots, but the added physicality and size he brings to the Patriots receiving core can only enhance it, and add a unique dimension to it. A bit of a gamble, but in reality the Pats have already traded down three times have two picks in each of the first three rounds of the 2012 draft, landed all the same players, and can take a risk.

4th Round

124 – New England – Chris Conte (S – California)
Conte is still new to the safety postion, but has coverage skills and is a willing/physical tackler. Steady and reliable, I think Conte projects as strong safety with coverage skills.

Poz51
04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Besides Bartholomew who I believe doesnt belong anywhere near the 4th round, its a pretty good Ravens mock

I can understand the thought on Bartholomew, I have him rated much higher than... Probably everyone else. I do think centers will get over drafted this year. I liked the mock for the Ravens overall, I appreciate the input :)

Poz51
04-21-2011, 10:32 AM
I respectfully disagree, liuget is a pure UT, a strong one but still a pure UT in the pros who doesnt fit well in the occasional 3 man front.

I agree with you that Foster is a good pick

I HATE Bailey in the 4-3 and think he should be a 3-4 end all the way but at that point he does offer decent value.

Love is a tackle and the saints are 2 deep at both spot and Id be comfortable starting all 4 of em (not at the same time), therefore id look at a pure guard if you want to go OLine (but please dont).

Given the board Id go with:
1 Well actually id go with a tradedown given the board, there is bound to be a team that would want to jump over seattle for a QB and the board is really really thin. If need be that I chose on the spot Id possibly go Paea who I just like better than Liuget and he can play both tackle spots like Ellis making the rotation on that spot easier.

2 I have no issues witht he Mason Foster pick at all.

3a Id go Kenrick Ellis (depending on what happens in the first) or Greg Jones
3b Id prolly go Pernell McPhee, maybe Kendall Hunter

My mocks for the Saints are up and down, with this effort clearly being down, and I did not like it myself.
I tried to figure out a trade down, but could not get an to work out value wise, and got stuck making a pick, hindsight, Bowers is clearly falling, and I think N.O. would be a great landing spot. I respect your guys opinions, and have no problems disageing either way, and see what you all are saying. I had thought about Paea there, and he was actually the target of my trade down, with the Broncos being a possible partner in this situation... I agree Paea is a better fit.
Do you think they would take Jones after taking Foster? I thought about it, but could not do it.
McPhee is interesting, and I think makes sense... I like him a lot more than most, and could see him fitting in there hybrid defense...
I am going to try to put out one more effort, but am out of town this week, and do not know if I will be able to fit it before the draft next week, if I do, I promise a better effort for the Saints :) the Bengals too ;)

vidae
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I like the KC draft, but the only thing I'd say is I'd prefer Herz in the 4th. I love him as a prospect, and if he somehow finds his form again it's a steal in that round.

Good job the rest of the way though.. hit a lot of our needs.

Poz51
04-23-2011, 02:07 PM
I think this is a very plausible Skins draft, I love Jordan and we definitely need a QB at some point. Great work.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Despite it being weird to trade down then back up, I guess... I liked the Skins draft, and thoguht that it added some nice pieces later in the draft in addition to the first round.

Poz51
04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, if I stayed at #31 I take Castonzo. He could be a LT in a season or two and would compete for the RT spot with Adams(if he does not retire), and Colon(if he is healthy enough).

If I traded down with the Titans it depends on the value the Steelers place on Williams. If they truly believe he can play CB I would take him. If they are not sure and think CB or FS I would take the higher on my board between Franklin and Cannon. I see Cannon as having the athleticism while Franklin has the demeanor and technique.

And with the next pick if I take Aaron Williams Ijalana is a no brainer. But if I took Franklin or Cannon, Ijalana is still an option. If the Steelers have him ranked at an early second rounder they might double dip on the position to help save Ben Roethlisberger from an early retirement. But I would most likely take Ras-I Dowling or Curtis Brown. I personally have Dowling a little ahead of Brown. But wouldn't be upset either way.

So at this point lets just say I went Cannon and Dowling. I would go Lawrence Guy DE ASU. Guy would fit a need and a pretty good value. I don't like that his production has decreased every year and he is coming out early after coming of a so-so year. But he is a nice fit for the 34 and the Steelers really need a replacement for Smith and Keisel.

So at this point I filled all big need positions. But that doesn't stop me from going back to the well and making sure I sured up the holes in line and secondary. I would take a long hard look at Rashad Carmichael but in the end I would go with Jah Reid. Reid looks to be a natural tackle and at this point in the draft is a steal. Cannon has potential at LT, LG, RG, and RT and Reid has potential at LT and RT. That should sure up the line for the next few years.

So at this point I have double up on o-line taken a CB and DE. So positions of need are a replacement NT for Hampton in a few years and Maybe another CB. If Taylor leaves via free agency that would leave McFadden and Dowling as the starters and *** staying at Nickel. So I go with DeMarcus Van Dyke CB Miami. He is 175lbs but has a frame to play 20lbs heavier. I start him off as a dime back and have him hit the weight and lunch room and hope he can add 15lbs of good muscle while keeping his speed sub 4.4.

With my sixth round pick I would take Anthony Gray NT Southern Miss. He has the same body structure as Hampton and similar stats.

Then in the 7th best TE, RB, ILB, QB.

Good stuff, I appreciate the insight! Nice job, I will keep that in mind if I do antoher one, nice write up :)

Poz51
04-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Never mind. I is dumb.

So is I... Big risks, big pay-off for the Titans??

Poz51
04-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I do not like this draft for the Saints at all! The Saints will not take Corey Liuget over Mark Ingram. I can guarantee you this. Liuget does not even fill a need. He plays the same position as Sedrick Ellis. I am all for depth but I would prefer drafting for such depth after the first round.

My picks for the Saints would be:

1. Mark Ingram--If we could trade down and get him, great!

2. Mason Foster, LB

3a. Kenrick Ellis, NT
3b. Greg Romeus, DE--We could even try to trade down, get Romeus or someone like Tyler Sash.

Fair enough...

SickwithIt1010
04-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Like this eagles draft. Good work man +++rep

the_dark_knight
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Pretty realistic Falcons draft. Nothing to go crazy over, but very realistic. I do like the Smith pick for the Falcons, but I think they'd trade down to make that selection

Poz51
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Give the Colts LT Anthony Castonzo in the 1st and then its an outstanding draft!

Im glad you liked the rest of the draft, I guess its all about who you prefer, I like Sherrod's movement skills and ability to come in a start from day one over all the other tackles in this class. I do see Castonzo like many other do, I think he is more of a project at the next level, where as Sherrod is not so much of a project. Either way I think a LT is a must for the Colts at this point, and am I the only one who laughs when I hear QB of the future for the Colts in the first round???

prock
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't really like Bowers all that much at 12, he seems to be free-falling down boards. I am fine with Hudson. I love Black in the fourth, and Delvin and Pettis in the fifth is perfect. Good work.

Poz51
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
For me going by what you have, I would love this:

1. Brooks Reed
2. Sam Acho
3. Kenrick Ellis
3. Kris O'Dowd

Reason being: We get our 3 biggest defensive needs in OLB/DE/and run stuffing NT. And Kris O'Dowd is my homer pick for OL, mainly because I firmly believe the Saints need a upgrade over Goodwin(horrible) and Like youve mentioned he can slide to OG. We have the OT in Bushrod, Stinch, Brown, and Strief (who lines up as 3rd TE alot) so for the OT we have the depth, but Kris would be my <3

Do you think Reed has the coverage skills to play OLB in a 4-3?
I could see Reed or Acho to play DE, but not both, unless Reed can cover as a OLB myself. Ellis could be a good fit. Didnt ya'll just take Tennant last year? Flexability wise I think O'Dowd would make sense though.

Poz51
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
I really like the Buff/Arizona trade, it makes a lot of sense to me.
Having a hard time seeing Washington passing on Jones especially if they are bringing in a rookie QB.
I think a St. Louis/Dallas trade is more likely.
I think I heard that Houston will switch to a 3-4 defense so your drafting Quinn to play OLB, right.
My experience is telling me that Bowers will now be a 2nd rounder. Sad, but that is the draft.
I don't like Wilkerson that high but it isn't impossible.
Clayborn however doesn't fit the type of DE that Tampa is looking for in a Tampa 2 defense.
Constanzo, Solder, Sherrod, it will be interesting to see which order they are taken but in general, I think you are way too hard on the OT group as a whole.
IMO, Houston is strictly a 4-3 DE at the next level, but that is just my opinion.
Torrie Smith won't go round 1, he is definitely a round 2 guy.
There is no way Watkins and Austin go that low. Both are at least late round 1 prospects who at worst will go very early round 2.
Bruce Carter has to sit a year so it will be a team like NE or Pittsburgh who will draft him, certainly a team strong enough to carry him for that year.
Very nice effort and a lot of hard work.

My thinking with St. Louis is that why potentially pay extra picks to Dallas to move up, or more $$ for the 9th pick, when you can pay less to Washington? Washington has holes everywhere, and I think taking a WR fills one, but then you have to mortgage the future to move up for a QB who wont see the field for a year, more likely two... Because you did not move back and get the pick needed to move back up...
"I think I heard that Houston will switch to a 3-4 defense so your drafting Quinn to play OLB, right." You seem a little arrogant to me at times and this is clearly one of them. Similarly to Suggs in Baltimore, and Ware in Dallas, Quinn's job in these "3-4" type defenses which really are more 4-3 defenses would just be to rush the passer 80% of the time. Yes Houston is switching to a 3-4, and yes former Dallas head coach Wade Phillips is their new defensive coordinator. See the correlation?
I agree that Bowers is slipping down the draft, and very well might end up in the second round. Like I said at the beginning of this mock, it started a month ago, so take it with a grain of salt, I did the first round before Bowers knee issue really came to light like it has.
I dont like Wilkerson that high either to be honest, and see him as more of a 2nd round guy myself, but I could also see someone like San Diego's board being destroyed and reaching for a guy, I actually think they will trade up, just could not work out a trade myself.
Clayborn might not be ideal, but unless they trade up (which they very well could do) I think similarly to SD, they have to take what they can get, or possibly move down. I actually like the fit alot myself, but they didnt ask my opinion...
I might be too hard on them, but I dont like the group as a whole, and think they are in general over rated. I am pretty sure they will not go in the order I think they should (Sherrod and Carimi 1st and 2nd, then Castonzo, Smith and Solder in no real particular order.) I think last year they go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. IMO, they are close to where they should go, maybe even too high, but that is just my opinion. Like QB's the need will drive them up the draft more than their actual talent, as I see it.
I certainly respect your opinion on Houston, and you are not alone. Mine differs though, although adding weight certainly will help him play 4-3 end more effieciently as long as its good weight, and he is getting stronger. I think he could do either, and think kind of similarly his best fit is probably 4-3 DE, or in a hybrid system like Dallas, Baltimore and others run, but he could play 3-4 OLB like he did effectively at Georgia.
With Smith I see what you are saying, but think that he fits their system, need, and character concerns better than anyone on the board at that point in my mock. My 2nd -1st round grade should show my belief that he is a 2nd round guy as well, but I could see him going in the first, and Atlanta and the Jets are two potential teams IMO, he just happened to go to Atlanta, where he fits the bill in many ways.
As for Watkins and Austin I tried to fit them in higher, and agree both have first round talent and ability, however every year players fall and also get over drafted. Watkins will be 27 next year, Austin still has inconsistant tape, and year of no tape, both could easily go as high as the first round, and I have them going in the top half of the second round, so IMO its not like I had them fall that far... Last year I did a write up of the number of first and second round picks based on projections from 4 or 5 sights, wish I had saved it, but essentially there were something like 87-93 possible guys to go in the first 64 picks, and when all was said and done only something like 90% of them actually did.. Who knows...
Mike Mayock was correct in saying that teams like those make alot of sense, and I agree with both of you. However, Tampa was 10-6 last year, and I think is also the type of team who could carry him than reap the benefits. I like the fit alot. He is a steal IMO where ever he goes, I was a big fan before the injury and still a big fan.
I appreciate it, and hope to hear your rebuttle, thanks for the input :)