PDA

View Full Version : Bar-bq's Revised 2011 Three Round Mock Draft!

Bar-bq
04-16-2011, 04:43 AM
This is the third time I've updated my 2011 mock this offseason, and I've added an extra round for this edition. I'm expecting to churn out at least one more before draft day, but hopefully I'll get another revision in before final submissions are due.

As always, have a look, see how you feel, let me know. There are plenty of changed picks from last time.

ROUND ONE

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Adam Schefter beat everybody to the punch on Sam Bradford last year, and Newton to the Panthers makes a lot of sense. He guarantees bums on seats in Carolina, and he has the skillset to develop into a special player.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
This pick is all but locked up. One of the most versatile linemen to come along in some time who addresses a major need on the Denver defense.

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
Miller will provide the pass rush the Bills’ organization has sorely been lacking. Gabbert is a possibility, but if the Bills aren’t sold, Ryan Fitzpatrick still has some mileage in him.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
I switch back and forth between Gabbert and AJ Green on a daily basis. Today, it’s Gabbert. He’s a sensible pick if Palmer is serious about retiring.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
I wouldn’t mind betting the Cardinals are going to do everything they can to get their hands on either the top QBs or on Von Miller. As it stands Patrick Peterson will be a nice addition to a secondary that now has to deal with young gun Sam Bradford twice every year.

6. Cleveland Browns: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
The browns could look in a couple of directions here. It would make sense to see them address almost any position on the defense, but Green is the best value and will be a dominant target for Colt McCoy.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
The choice comes to Amukamara and Quinn, and I think that Quinn’s stock is a little bit higher at the moment. This could go either way. Both would be good fits in Frisco.

8. Tennessee Titans: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
Reports are that the Titans have guaranteed Bowers that he’ll be selected if he falls to pick #8. He has fallen.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Reportedly, this pick has come to an OT or a 3-4 DE, but I don’t buy that the Cowboys can afford to ignore their holes in the secondary. They’ll be willing to trade down with a team looking at Julio Jones.

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Jones is the popular pick at #10, and I think he’s the obvious one unless one of the top quarterbacks were to miraculously fall. As a Rams fan, I hope to god that one of them does, because I’d love to have a weapon like Jones on my team.

11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
Smith purports to be a dominant pass rusher from a standing position, and the Texans need to put some pressure on the passer. Need and value meet at pick 11.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College
This is an unideal scenario for the Vikings. With the top four defensive ends off of the board, the choice comes to Jake Locker or one of the OTs. Castanzo can be a ten year starter in Minnesota.

13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
He’s less NFL ready than Castanzo, but Smith could become the best OT in this draft in a year or two. He’s a perfect fit for a Detroit team who need to protect their key investment: Matt Stafford.

14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Luiget, DL, Illinois
The Rams will probably look to explore a trade down if their primary targets, Julio Jones and A.J. Green, are unavailable. The problem is that they really can’t afford to trade down too far, or they run the risk of missing out on any of the draft’s premier D-Linemen. Luiget represents the best value at DT, where the Rams have an opening opposite Fred Robbins.

15. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
I’m not all that comfortable with a QB here, but I think that the Dolphins will pull the trigger. It’s a toss up between Mallet and Locker – at the end of the day, Mallet’s prototype size and strength wins out.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
The Jaguars are looking for some defensive end help, and Kerrigan has an outstanding motor. It’s a classic case of need meeting value at pick 16.

17. New England Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
The Patriots might actually use both of their first round draft picks this year: Jordan would be an outstanding compliment to Ty Warren at the 5 Technique position.

18. San Diego Chargers: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Watt falls conveniently into the hands of a team who really could use the help at 3-4 DE. I expect somebody to trade up for Watt if he falls this far – look for Detroit and St. Louis to be viable trading partners.

19. New York Giants: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Fairley’s fall ends in New York. If Barry Cofield doesn’t return, then DT becomes a bigger need for the Giants than it is already.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Clayborn has been slipping a little, but I think he’d be a nice fit as a part of the re-tooled Bucs D-Line. Clayborn and the Bucs’ premier rookies will give the NFC South some trouble in 2011.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
Nose Tackle is arguably the Chiefs’ primary need this offseason, and even though the value is a little high for Taylor here, he’s the best Nose Tackle in the draft. The Chiefs could probably move down a little bit and still target Taylor in five or six pick’s time.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
The Colts could desperately use some help along both of their lines. Pouncey has the versatility to play anywhere along the interior OL, and he’d be a welcomed addition by Peyton Manning.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin
Protecting Mike Vick has to be the first priority for the Eagles this season. Carimi will slide on in to the right side of the OL and compete for Winston Justice’s job.

24. New Orleans Saints: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.
Reports out of New Orleans are that the LOVE Cameron Heyward, and I do too. He’s got great size and speed, and would probably be selected a lot higher in any other draft.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Matt Hasselbeck’s days are numbered in Seattle, and it’s definitely time that the franchise began to groom his heir. Locker hurt his stock by returning to school, but he’ll be happy to be staying close to home. The Hawks were rumoured to have liked him enough to select him in the top ten last offseason.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
The Ravens’ secondary wasn’t exactly a strong suit last year. Journeymen stand aside: the Brandon Harris era begins now.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
The Falcons found Sam Baker to pair with Matt Ryan in ’08, but to date he’s been inconsistent. Solder will compete right away and should find a home at guard if he can’t beat out Baker to begin the season.

28. New England Patriots: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
The Patriots continue to retool their front seven. Ayers has strong potential as a pass rusher, and is a good value fit in the 20’s.

29. Chicago Bears: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
I wouldn’t be completely stunned to see Indianapolis pull the trigger on Wilkerson at #22. His stock has been skyrocketing recently, and he has emerged as a legitimate first round possibility. The Bears are looking for a replacement for fallen star Tommie Harris, and Wilkerson fits the bill as a talented under tackle.

30. New York Jets: Justin Houston, OLB/DE, Georgia
Vernon Gholston was a colossal bust, and it’s time for Rex Ryan to bring in another stud pass rusher.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The Steelers could look for a corner to fill the void opposite Ike Taylor in this draft. Smith is a good fit late in round one.

32. Green Bay Packers: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
Chad Clifton has been the LT in Green Bay for as long as I can remember. It’s time for the Pack to start planning for the future – Sherrod is great value and the next in line.

ROUND TWO

33. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Purely a value pick. Ingram has had Emmitt Smith comparisons, and the Patroits have reportedly been looking for a compliment to Benjarvus Green Ellis.

34. Buffalo Bills: Marcus Canon, OT/OG, TCU
The Bills have struggled to find a LT for years. Struggle no more!

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
The Bengals interior OL is an issue and, outside of Pat Peterson, Watkins is the safest prospect in the draft.

36. Denver Broncos: Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa
The Broncos have begun to revamp their entire front seven. Ballard is a solid second round value, and has potential to become dominant next to Dareus.

37. Cleveland Browns: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
Paea is a fringe first round talent, and, as the Browns are moving back to a 4-3. They’ll need a player like Paea to anchor their DL.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh
Sheard is a top 50 talent, and the best pass rusher on the board.

39. Tennessee Titans: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
The Titans will take a long look at Dalton, the first of many QBs to come off of the board in round 2.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Williams projects to corner or safety, and he fills a big hole in Dallas’ secondary.

41. Washington Redskins: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.
Ponder is a mobile QB who fits the WCO. If Shannahan doesn’t take Locker in round one, I think Ponder makes a lot of sense in the second.

42. Houston Texans: Rasi-I Dowling, CB/S, Virginia
The secondary was the Texans’ Achilles heel last seasons. Dowling’s great workouts have pushed him into consideration in the late first round.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada
Sorry, Vikes fans.

44. Detroit Lions: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
The Lions could have looked at Amukamara in the first.

45. San Francisco 49ers: Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
Stanzi is the fourth QB to be selected within six picks. The niners would love to jump ahead of Tennessee to have their pick of the pack.

46. Denver Broncos: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
Wilson is a thumper, and purports to be the leader of the Broncos’ defense.

47. St. Louis Rams: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
After missing Jones in round 1, the Rams pull the trigger on Smith in round 2. Sam Bradford will love him.

48. Oakland Raiders: James Carpenter OL, Alabama
Carpenter is good value here, and the Raiders biggest need outside of QB is arguably their OL. It’s a fit.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
This is a stock pick because it makes sense. There’s a huge hole in the Jaguars secondary.

50. San Diego Chargers: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
Baldwin could be the pick here, but his diva tag might scare the Chargers.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mason Foster, LB, Washington
Foster has probably fallen a little bit in this draft, and the Bucs are the benefactors. He’ll be great next to Ruud.

52. New York Giants: Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
I’ve mocked Costanzo to the Giants in round one for a long time. Gilbert in round two accommodates Nick Fairley in the first.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC
Austin is not the cleanest player in this draft, but he does have first round talent. He’ll excel in between Freeney and Mathis.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
The Eagles passed on a corner in round one, but still found a pretty good one in the second.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Titus Young, WR, Boise St.
Young will be the speedy compliment to Dwayne Bowe.

56. New Orleans Saints: Sam Acho, OLB, Texas
The Saints have been looking for an OLB, and Acho fits the bill. He’ll be great against the run.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida St.
Memo to Pete Carroll: protect your investment.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
Baldwin has a lot of similarities to Anquan Boldin. They’ll be great flankers for Joe Flacco.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
The Falcons pick up a DE they could have targeted in round 1. Bailey could be drafted higher.

60. New England Patriots: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
The Patriots address their interior OL with a spectacular value pick.

61. San Diego Chargers: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
Ijalana could play inside or out, and will be of service right away in San Diego.

62. Chicago Bears: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
There’s no real reason why Leshoure should fall this far. He’ll be a great compliment to Forte.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
Steeler football is played from the inside out. Meet Pouncey’s smash brother.

64. Green Bay Packers: Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
Reed probably won’t be selected in round one, but it’s dubious that he’ll fall this far. The Matthews comparisons have worked favourably – he’ll play opposite him in ‘11.

ROUND THREE

65. Carolina Panthers: Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
66. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
67. Denver Broncos: Davon House, CB, New Mexico St.
68. Buffalo Bills: Drake Nevis, DT, UNC
69. Arizona Cardinals: Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC
70. Cleveland Browns: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
71. Dallas Cowboys: Kenrick Ellis, DL, Hampton
72. New Orleans Saints: Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami
73. Houston Texans: Greg Little, WR, UNC
74. New England Patriots: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
75. Detroit Lions: Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
76. San Franscisco 49ers: Shareece Wright, CB, USA
77. Tennessee Titans: Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee
78. St. Louis Rams: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
79. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
80. Jacksonville Jaguars: Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU
81. Oakland Raiders: Kendric Burney, CB, UNC
82. San Diego Chargers: KJ Wright, LB, MSU
83. New York Giants: Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Deunta Williams, S, UNC
85. Philadelphia Eagles: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada
86. Kansas City Chiefs: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
87. Indianapolis Colts: James Brewer, OT, Indiana
88. New Orleans Saints: Kendall Hunter, RB Oklahoma State
89. San Diego Chargers: Jason Pinkston, OL, Pittsburgh
90. Baltimore Ravens: Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas St.
91. Atlanta Falcons: Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisonsin
92. New England Patriots: Jurrell Casey, DL, USC
93. Chicago Bears: Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn
94. New York Jets: Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi
95. Pittsburgh Steelers: Colin McCarthy, LB, Miami
96. Green Bay Packers: Dwayne Harris, WR, Eastern Carolina
97. Carolina Panthers: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississppi State

FordFairlane
04-16-2011, 09:01 AM
31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The Steelers could look for a corner to fill the void opposite Ike Taylor in this draft. Smith is a good fit late in round one.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
Steeler football is played from the inside out. Meet Pouncey’s smash brother.

95. Pittsburgh Steelers: Colin McCarthy, LB, Miami

I like the Jimmy Smith pick. Just like Ryan Mallett I hear all these "experts" talking about character concerns. I just can't find any hard evidence of them. Perception might have both fall and whomever drafts them will get top 15 talent at a very good value. Smith fits the Steelers defensive scheme and talent wise is right up there with Prince and Peterson.

Rackley looks to just be a guard and the Steelers big weakness on the o-line is tackle. So unless they have Rackley way ahead of guys like Franklin and Brewer whom both have tackle ability I don't see it. But I don't know how the Steelers draft board is either. They could have Rackley has a top 30 player and if he fell this far the value would be too great to pass up.

Colin McCarthy doesn't fit the 3-4 very well. And the Steelers drafted Stevensen Sylvestor whom looked great in limited play. I think DE, OT, or even NT would be a better fit here. But again if the Steelers don't value Sylvestor as much as I and McCarthy is a second round value who knows.

All in all I give this Mock s B-.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
this would be another epic draft for Pioli. Taylor, Young and Wisniewski would be HUGE!!!

TheMatriculator
04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
this would be another epic draft for Pioli. Taylor, Young and Wisniewski would be HUGE!!!

What he said.

Abaddon
04-16-2011, 10:15 AM
48. Oakland Raiders: James Carpenter OL, Alabama
Carpenter is good value here, and the Raiders biggest need outside of QB is arguably their OL. It’s a fit.

Not sure how great the value is, but I wouldn't exactly hate the pick either.

81. Oakland Raiders: Kendric Burney, CB, UNC

Does he really add anything that Ware/McFadden don't?

Per Scott:

Height: 5-9⅜ | Weight: 186 | 40-Time: 4.72

lol no. Horrible pick.

Hard to imagine passing up Lil Wiz here, not to mention Brewer and Kendricks.

T-RICH49
04-16-2011, 11:05 AM

what he said x1,000,000,000

49erNation85
04-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't hate this 49ers draft,I could live with it.However,Stanzi pick might be a bit high.But since its a QB driven league we need to jump on some one.Other two picks are solid!

Heisman
04-16-2011, 11:52 AM
For some reason the fact that you apologized for giving the Vikings CK in the 2nd made it hurt a lot less... so +rep for you!

But if you do this mock over you should probably go:
1. Locker
2. Wisniewski/Rudolph/Hudson

Bar-bq
04-16-2011, 12:27 PM
For some reason the fact that you apologized for giving the Vikings CK in the 2nd made it hurt a lot less... so +rep for you!

But if you do this mock over you should probably go:
1. Locker
2. Wisniewski/Rudolph/Hudson

Would Locker be welcomed by the fanbase? What's the feeling in Minnesota about him being the pick at 12?

Does he really add anything that Ware/McFadden don't?

Fair call. I'll reconsider next time.

jackalope
04-16-2011, 12:57 PM
The first two picks for Green Bay are perfect.

Bar-bq
04-16-2011, 08:47 PM
The first two picks for Green Bay are perfect.

What do you reckon about Reed so low? Feasible?

Pat Sims 90
04-16-2011, 09:04 PM
1st 2 picks are solid but Kyle Rudolph makes no sense when they have Jermaine Gresham and Chase Coffman on the roster i could understand if they take a blocking TE but Rudolph is not. Give them Greg Little there.

Seasonticketholder
04-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Ingram over Heyward.
Brooks Reed over Sam Acho.
Jerrel Jernigan over Orlando Franklin.
Jerell Powe over Kendall Hunter.

StrikeAnywhere
04-16-2011, 10:10 PM
I would prefer Paea over Ballard because I think he is stronger and will play the run better, but all in all an excellent Denver draft. Either DT combo has the potential to trigger an instant turnaround for this defense. Wilson lets Williams slide back to WLB where he excels.

In the 3rd, Franklin might possibly provide better value to the team, but I would be happy with this draft either way.

Good job!

jCut
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Other than Martez Wilson, who I think is an over-hyped workout warrior, this is a good Denver draft. Swap Wilson for Foster and it's great.

marshallb
04-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Would Locker be welcomed by the fanbase? What's the feeling in Minnesota about him being the pick at 12?

It would be a hell of a lot better than calling Colin Kaepernick your franchise QB... I think the odds of Locker being the Vikings pick in the first round, whether it's at 12 or after a trade down, are very high. I just don't see us passing on Locker to take a mid-late first round valued OT. The only way that I could see us passing on a QB at 12 is if one of the top players, such as Fairley, Bowers, Amukamara, or Quinn were to drop, and if that happens I think it's fairly likely that they move down with someone moving up to snag that guy and picking up another 3rd rounder and then snag a QB.

wicket
04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Your first two picks are excellent, Id prefer greg jones and jurrell casey with the latter two with the saints having no use for an OT at all and Hunter is a decent pick but I think at least 3 of the first 4 picks should be D with the only actual needs there.

zachsaints52
04-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Your first two picks are excellent, Id prefer greg jones and jurrell casey with the latter two with the saints having no use for an OT at all and Hunter is a decent pick but I think at least 3 of the first 4 picks should be D with the only actual needs there.

What that guy said ^^^

indyfan1985
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Outstanding Draft for the Colts!!! Probably the best 3 rounder I've seen. We solve our issues along the OG spot by getting Pouncey, then we solidify the DT spot by adding Austin, and then add a potential starting RT in James Brewer.

ChicagoBearsVet23
04-17-2011, 11:07 PM
im cool with the Bears picks

thebow305
04-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Great Phins draft!

drd23
04-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Thats a pretty bad Ravens mock.

If you are going to give us a CB, it should only be Jimmy Smith. Harris is basically Josh Wilson (who is likely to be re-signed once a CBA is worked out). Smith gives us what our FO has stated they are looking for at CB - size

Baldwin is a good pick but I'd think that Brooks Reed's value is too good to pass up, especially because he plays a position of need.

And why would we need to take a RB in the 3rd round? The Thomas pick makes little sense to me

AntoinCD
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Good first two rounds for the Pats. Not a fan of Ingram but at 33 it is pretty decent value. Dont like the third though. The Pats dont need a WR like Jernigan. They need a big physical outside threat ala Julio Jones or Greg Little and Jurrell Casey is a horrible scheme fit as he profiles as a penetrating 3 tech, not what the Pats are looking for. If you swapped the third round picks for Stefan Wisniewski and Rashad Carmichael then it would be a great draft

leroyisgod
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't see the Cowboys going secondary with their first two picks.

SimonRath
04-18-2011, 10:21 AM
thats a bad falcons draft..

stephenson86
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
We take Dalton over Ponder I will die.

Smash28Dash34
04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
For the Panthers, I like Cobb at the top of the 3rd, but not McPhee at the bottom. One of those two 3rds should be used on a DT. Great mock though.

Smash28Dash34
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
We take Dalton over Ponder I will die.

I don't know what people see in Dalton. As a fan I would be pretty pissed off if my team used a 2nd round pick on him. I would much rather take Ponder or Kapernick.

Bar-bq
04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
thats a bad falcons draft..

Why? I actually thought the Falcons came out of that draft really well.

Thats a pretty bad Ravens mock.

If you are going to give us a CB, it should only be Jimmy Smith. Harris is basically Josh Wilson (who is likely to be re-signed once a CBA is worked out). Smith gives us what our FO has stated they are looking for at CB - size

Baldwin is a good pick but I'd think that Brooks Reed's value is too good to pass up, especially because he plays a position of need.

And why would we need to take a RB in the 3rd round? The Thomas pick makes little sense to me

More or less, I'm not banking on ANYBODY being resigned after the CBA is worked out. It's too difficult to predict at this point. I understand what you're saying about size.

I'm iffy on Reed as a player. I think he's going to be a definite faller on draft day, maybe into round three.

As to RB, McGahee isn't going to last forever, and you'll want to keep Rice around for as long as you can. Thomas can share some of the work. He's also good value there. Unless you can suggest someone better?

SimonRath
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
OT isnt a need, later on in the draft maybe, but not in the 1st. Soldier isn't even that good!

Allen Bailey is **** too. total ****.

fed36
04-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Excellent skins mock