PDA

View Full Version : The Top Actors and Actresses of Today

Ozzy
04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
For all those movie buffs out there, just to start a little discussion again I made my list of the current top actors and actresses in film today according to the volume and quality of films they have made in their career and their relevancy to date.

Here is a list I made a few years back on this same subject.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41428&highlight=actors

Listed below their names are what notable and respected movies they have been a major part in.

Top 5 Male Actors

1) Leonardo DiCaprio
Inception, Shutter Island, Revolutionary Road, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Aviator, Catch me if you can, Gangs of New York, Titanic, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo + Juliet, The Basketball Dairies, Body of Lies
http://www.top39.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/leonardo_dicaprio_hot_titanic-227x300.jpg

2) Brad Pitt
Assassination of Jesse James, Babel, Inglorious Bastards, Meet Joe Black, Burn After Reading, Troy, Snatch, Ocean's Eleven, Fight Club, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Interview with a Vampire, Sleepers
http://newmexicodietitian.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/burn-after-reading-brad-pitt-dance.jpg

3) Johnny Depp
Alice in Wonderland, Public Enemies, Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Neverland, The Ninth Gate, Donnie Brasco, What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
http://static.open.salon.com/files/depp_pirates_2251221191535.jpg

4) Matt Damon
The Talented Mr. Ripley , Invictus, The Departed, The Bourne Identity, Ocean's Eleven, Rounders, Saving Private Ryan, Good Will Hunting
http://i.eonline.com/Entire_Site/20080717/300.damon.ripley.071708.jpg

5) Morgan Freeman
The Dark Knight, Invictus, Million Dollar Baby, Se7en, The Shawshank Redeption, Unforgiven, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Gone Baby Gone, Glory, Driving Miss Daisy
http://addicted2gh.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/morgan-freeman1.jpg

Best of the rest in order

Russell Crowe
A Beautiful Mind, Robin Hood, Gladiator, Cinderella Man, The Insider, Body of Lies, American Gangster

Sean Penn
Milk, 21 Grams, Mystic River, I Am Sam, The Thin Red Line, Dead Man Walking, Casualties of War

Daniel Day Lewis
Nine, There Will be Blood, Gangs of New York, The Crucible, The Last of the Mohicans, My Left Foot

Edward Norton
The Painted Veil, Fight Club, American History X, The Illusionist, Rounders, Red Dragon,

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Savages, Doubt, Capote, Red Dragon, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Cold Mountain

Jake Gyllenhaal
Body of Lies, Brokeback Mountain, Donnie Darko, October Sky,

Jeremy Renner
The Hurt Locker, The Town, Assassination of Jesse James

Joaquin Phoenix
Walk the Line, Two Lovers, 8MM, Gladiator, The Village

Ethan Hawk
Training Day, Tape

The upcoming young actors

James Franco
127 Hours, Spider Man, Your Highness, Milk

Joseph Gordon- Levitt
Inception, 500 Days of Summer

Shia La Beouf
Transformers, Disturbia

The Best Actors who are past their prime most likely, but are still relevant from time to time

Tom Hanks
The Da Vinci Code, Catch Me if you can, Road to Perdition, Cast Away, Green Mile, You've Got Mail, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Forrest Gump, Philadelphia, Sleepless in Seattle

Al Pacino
The Recruit, Insomnia, The Insider, Donnie Brasco, Heat, Scent of a Woman, Scarface, Serpico, The Godfather

Robert De Niro
Meet the Parents, Heat, Cape Fear, Awakenings, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, The Godfather Part II

Robin Williams
Insomnia, Patch Adams, Good Will Hunting, Jack, Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam

Tom Cruise
Vanilla Sky, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire, Misson Impossible, Interview with a Vampire, The Firm, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, Top Gun, The Outsiders

Denzel Washington
Book of Eli, The Manchurian Candidate, American Gangster, Antwone Fisher, Training Day, Remember the Titans, Crimson Tide, Philadelphia, Malcolm X, Glory,

Dustin Hoffman
Stranger than Fiction, Finding Neverland, Sleepers, Hook, Rain Man, All the Presidents Men, Kramer vs Kramer, The Graduate

Kevin Spacey
American Beauty, A Time to Kill, Se7en, Unusual Suspects, Iron Will,

John Malkovich
Burn After Reading, Changeling, Being John Malkovich, Rounders, Of Mice and Men, Dangerous Liaisons

Keanu Reeves
The Matrix, Constantine, The Devil's Advocate, Dracula, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Top 5 Female Actresses

1) Kate Winslet
Revolutionary Road, The Holiday, Finding Neverland, The Reader, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Titanic, Hamlet
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_myX5Q4qMDhY/SUu9H1vGBVI/AAAAAAAABjQ/0rUSsIwN8Y0/s400/sunshine014.jpg

2) Anne Hathaway
Alice in Wonderland, The Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain, Love and Other Drugs, Get Smart, Becoming Jane, Ella Enchanted, The Princess Diaries
http://www.celebrity-sunglasses-finder.com/image-files/anne_hathaway_devil_wears_prada_chanel.jpg

3) Cate Blanchett
Elizabeth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Babel, Robin Hood, The Lord of the Rings, The Aviator, The Talented Mr. Ripley
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/14/cate15306_wideweb__470x372,0.jpg

4) Natalie Portman
Black Swan, V for Vendetta, Your Highness, Star Wars, The Other Boleyn Girl, Brothers
http://themoviezones.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/black-swan-natalie-portman-2-9-10-kc.jpg

5) Scarlett Johansson
Vicky Christian Barcelona, The Prestige, Match Point, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Lost in Translation, The Horse Whisperer, The Other Boleyn Girl
http://www.topnews.in/files/Scarlett-Johansson101.jpg

Best of the rest in order

Kiera Knightley
The Duchess, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pride and Prejudice, Never Let Me Go, Bend It Like Beckham

Penelope Cruz
Broken Embraces, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Elergy, Vanilla Sky, Nine

Angelina Jolie
Changeling, Girl Interrupted, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Wanted

Zooey Deschanel
500 Days of Summer, Failure to Launch, Your Highness, Elf

Rachel McAdams
Wedding Crashers, The Notebook, Mean Girls,

Naomi Watts
The Painted Veil, 21 Grams

The upcoming young actresses

Kristen Stewart
Welcome to the Rileys, Twighlight, In the Land of Women, Speak, Panic Room

Ellen Page
Inception, Hard Candy, Juno

Megan Fox
Passion Play, Transformers

Lily Cole
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Rage

Lindsay Lohan
Mean Girls, Chapter 27, The Parent Trap

Dakota Fanning
I am Sam, Charlotte's Web, Hide and Seek

The Best Actresses who are past their prime but still relevant at times

Meryl Streep
Doubt, The Devil wears Prada, The Manchurian Candidate, The River Wild, Kramer vs Kramer

Jodie Foster
Panic Room, Contact, The Silence of the Lambs, Taxi Driver

Nicole Kidman
Eyes Wide Shut, Cold Mountain, The Hours, Rabbit Hole, Moulin Rouge The Golden Compass

Uma Thurman
Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 1, Tape, Les Miserables, Pulp Fiction, Dangerous Liasions

Note: Brad Pitt I had a hard time moving down but based off his lack of production over the past few years he had to slide and Leo's increase of production made him take the top spot. Still the timeless and surprisingly hilarious characters Brad plays, even if they are small roles still shows his elite acting ability.

And Natalie Portman made this list and is up so high because of Black Swan, before that movie her career was suspect at best, ok in some movies but never had that big elite role. Now she does and many more should follow.

Plus the gap there is between male and female acting quality is gigantic. To some degree that is partly due to lack of good leading roles for actresses.

CashmoneyDrew
04-16-2011, 11:20 AM
No Christian Bale?

Also, Megan Fox, Lindsay Lohan and Kirsten Stewart are horrible actresses.

Ozzy
04-16-2011, 12:00 PM
CashmoneyDrew: No Christian Bale?

Also, Megan Fox, Lindsay Lohan and Kirsten Stewart are horrible actresses.

I left Christian Bale off because in my opinion he is very unspectacular in most movie roles he played. His parts in Public Enemies, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were less the special in my opinion, he did not make or break any of those films. I liked him in The Prestige though and in terms of American Psycho I thought that was an insanely over hyped movie. But yes if one considers his performances in Batman and American Psycho to be elite then yeah sure he would be considered on a list like this. I have not seen the Fighter, that could change everyone, just like it did with Natalie Portman, if it is indeed as good as everyone says, so for sure I will try catch that.

As for the girls, Kristen Stewart, I feel her performance in Speak and her recent performance in Welcome to the Rileys helps show that she potentially a very legitimate actress and if she keeps it up I think she could be really good. But she does have to improve her versatility though.

Megan Fox is simply just a physical icon at the moment, her look alone gets people to watch some of her very bad movies. But she is young and has potential to grow, I am excited to see Passion Play, that looks like possibly her first legit role in her career.

And in terms of Lindsay Lohan, personally I really liked her in Chapter 27, so she does still have potential to act. Mean Girls was a very impressive movie for its time, but yes maybe her days of playing a teen are done and her career will be done but hard to argue a few years back she really did have a lot of talent and potential.

hobbes2053
04-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I left Christian Bale off because in my opinion he is very unspectacular in most movie roles he played. His parts in Public Enemies, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were less the special in my opinion, he did not make or break any of those films. I liked him in The Prestige though and in terms of American Psycho I thought that was an insanely over hyped movie. But yes if one considers his performances in Batman and American Psycho to be elite then yeah sure he would be considered on a list like this. I have not seen the Fighter, that could change everyone, just like it did with Natalie Portman, if it is indeed as good as everyone says, so for sure I will try catch that.

As for the girls, Kristen Stewart, I feel her performance in Speak and her recent performance in Welcome to the Rileys helps show that she potentially a very legitimate actress and if she keeps it up I think she could be really good. But she does have to improve her versatility though.

Megan Fox is simply just a physical icon at the moment, her look alone gets people to watch all of her very bad movies. But she is young and has potential to grow, I am excited to see Passion Play, that looks like possibly her first legit role in her career.

And in terms of Lindsay Lohan, personally I really liked her in Chapter 27, so she does still have potential to act. Mean Girls was a very impressive movie for its time, but yes maybe her days of playing a teen are done and her career will be done but hard to argue a few years back she really did have a lot of talent and potential.

Fixed for you. Also, you clearly haven't seen The Machinist. That role alone shows Bale's versatility and commitment to the craft.

Splat
04-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I know he is up there in age and doesn't play the lead real most of the time but I love me some Robert Duvall.

jrdrylie
04-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Kristen Stewart, Lindsay Lohan, and (especially) Megan Fox are all terrible. Yet you deem them worthy to mention yet no mention of Will Smith? He has shown he is one of the most consistent box office stars around. He can do comedy, action, and even dramatic roles. In my opinion, he is much better than Hawke, Depp, Phoenix, Renner, and more.

Ozzy
04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Will Smith is ok, but if he would be included it would be stars past their prime. He has not made a solid movie for quite some time it seems. The fact he is making Men in Black II speaks to the issue of his lack of solid movie roles.

I honestly hated The Pursuit of Happyness, the cheese factor was off the charts, I was never a fan at all of I Am Legend or Hancock, Hitch was ok but not sure it was great, I, Robot I was not a fan, Bad Boys movies nothing great, Ali was ok and could be his only real legit role that was not standard Will Smith, Wild Wild West was terrible, Enemy of the State was not very good and Independence Day was ok but nothing elite in my opinion. But if one has a different opinion of those movies then he would be much higher.

Yes one could easily put him long on the list ahead of Hawke but no one else I feel. Jeremy Renner in the Hurt Locker is more captivating than Will Smith was in any movie of his entire career I feel.

Again as for the ladies, save judgement for Kristen Stewart until you watch Welcome to the Rileys and Speak. Same can be said hopefully for Megan Fox after watching Passion Play. Then again, in reality if they looked different there would be no discussion, fact is films do need famous starlets to sell tickets however.

Ozzy
04-16-2011, 03:07 PM
hobbes2053: Fixed for you. Also, you clearly haven't seen The Machinist. That role alone shows Bale's versatility and commitment to the craft.No I have not seen that, I guess I should...

PackerLegend
04-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree this list needs a mention of Will Smith.

Also you didnt make your list a few years back its only 11 months ago actually. You also have Morgan Freeman #4 meaning theres 2 #4s..

Male list is pretty good.. the females I dont really know much about any. The only one of have really seen any movies of is Angelina Jolie.

bearsfan_51
04-16-2011, 05:10 PM
The question of "relevancy" seems to murky your rankings up a bit. Megan Fox and Shia La Beouf are both awful, along with a few other people that makes the list a bit confusing.

People I would add to your list:

George Clooney- Did I just miss this somewhere? He's a top 5 actor- Up in the Air, Ocean's Eleven, O' Brother Where Art Thou?, Michael Clayton, etc.

Javier Bardem- Again, really!?!- No Country for Old Men, Biutiful, The Sea Inside, Before Night Falls

Anthony Hopkins- Under actors of old- Silence of the Lambs, who cares what else?

Christian Bale-Dark Knight, American Psycho, The Fighter

Other possibilities:

Don Cheadle- Hotel Rwanda, Crash, Iron Man 2, Traitor

Jaime Foxx- Ray, Collateral, Dreamgirls

Michael Cera- Juno, Superbad, Scott Pilgrim

Hines
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I stopped reading when Will Smith and Jaime Foxx weren't on it. Seven Pounds was an extremely solid movie. He should be on the list.

bearsfan_51
04-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't see a compelling reason to put Will Smith on the list. How many good movies has he made in the last 10 years?

Hancock, I am Legend, and Hitch were all...ok. Ali was a pretty good movie, and that was in 2001. I don't really see the argument for him being either an important, or good, contemporary actor.

bearsfan_51
04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Seven Pounds was an extremely solid movie.
Seven Pounds was terrible. It got a 27% on rotten tomatoes.

ncst8fan83
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Yes, I base all my opinions of movies off movie snob reviews. Seven Pounds was a great film.

bearsfan_51
04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Yes, I base all my opinions of movies off movie snob reviews. Seven Pounds was a great film.
I didn't say you should base all of your opinions off of that, but if you're making the argument that someone else should put an actor on their list, it should probably be based off of more than just your own personal opinion.

And even if you wanted to charge snobbery, the movie never reached #1 in theaters and grossed 166 mil total (ok, but not great). If a movie isn't a box office hit or popular with critics, I'm not sure "I liked it" really flies as a great counter-argument.

Seamus2602
04-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Personally, I would say that Brad Pitt is one of the most overrated actos in Holywood. He has done maybe one good film? Brad Pitt is a celebrity, not an actor.

CashmoneyDrew
04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Personally, I would say that Brad Pitt is one of the most overrated actos in Holywood. He has done maybe one good film? Brad Pitt is a celebrity, not an actor.

Lol! Wait, wut?

Seamus2602
04-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Lol! Wait, wut?

Fight Club was good. But other than that nothing special.

CashmoneyDrew
04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Fight Club was good. But other than that nothing special.

Se7en, Snatch, Inglorious Basterds, 12 Monkeys?

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Seamus2602
04-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Inglorious Basterds was decent, not great and Pitt wasn't particularly good in it.

Snatch was good, unfortunately Pitt wasn't good in it. Yes he was very funny putting on a tinker accent but his acting wasn't that great.

I forgot Se7en and 12 Monkeys (haven't seen them in years) and they are good films and he is good in them. But they were both over 15 years ago.

I'm not saying all his films are *****. I quite enjoy some of them. They just haven't been great in a long time and he hasn't been great in them.

General Zod
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Se7en, Snatch, Inglorious Basterds, 12 Monkeys?

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Legends of the fall, he was good in Troy, Interview with a vampire, Benjamin Button, and I really liked "The Assassination of Jesse James" by the Coward Robert Ford.

CashmoneyDrew
04-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Just a difference of opinion then cause I thought he was really good in those movies.

Looking through Rottentomatoes he's got a solid resume.
Megamind, Burn After Reading, Assassination of Jesse James, Benjamin Button are some apparently recent and solid movies he's had.

Seamus2602
04-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Legends of the fall, he was good in Troy, Interview with a vampire, Benjamin Button, and I really liked "The Assassination of Jesse James" by the Coward Robert Ford.

Troy was a good film but didn't exactly test anyone's acting skills in it. Legends of the Fall was decent but not great, as was Jesse James, Interview with a Vampire was a terrible film (but then I don't really like vampire films) while Benjamin Button has got to be one of the most overrated films of the last 5 years.

Ozzy
04-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Seamus2602 Inglorious Basterds was decent, not great and Pitt wasn't particularly good in it.

Snatch was good, unfortunately Pitt wasn't good in it. Yes he was very funny putting on a tinker accent but his acting wasn't that great.

I forgot Se7en and 12 Monkeys (haven't seen them in years) and they are good films and he is good in them. But they were both over 15 years ago.

I'm not saying all his films are *****. I quite enjoy some of them. They just haven't been great in a long time and he hasn't been great in them.

Troy was a good film but didn't exactly test anyone's acting skills in it. Legends of the Fall was decent but not great, as was Jesse James, Interview with a Vampire was a terrible film (but then I don't really like vampire films) while Benjamin Button has got to be one of the most overrated films of the last 5 years.

Inglorious Bastards, yeah I did not like that much at all, however must say he was the reason to even watch the film, without him I would not have even watched it. He is very good in Babel by the way.

The Assassination of Jesse James, I do not see how he was not great in that movie. It is flat out elite, one of the better new era Westerns I have seen, they do not make many good ones at all. Not to mention he is quite outstanding in Meet Joe Black, sure it is a chick flick movie but in some of the scenes his acting and overall character is something not many could accomplish. Like I said though, if he made more relevant movies recently he would be at #1, but yes he will have to turn out a good one pretty soon.

But we all have different tastes.

bearsfan_51 I don't see a compelling reason to put Will Smith on the list. How many good movies has he made in the last 10 years?

Hancock, I am Legend, and Hitch were all...ok. Ali was a pretty good movie, and that was in 2001. I don't really see the argument for him being either an important, or good, contemporary actor.Glad someone agrees with me, he is good but just simply not elite.

Giantsfan1080
04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Shia Lebouf is absolutely terrible. Amanda Seyfried should be on the upcoming actress list.

bearsfan_51
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Amanda Seyfried should be on the upcoming actress list.
She's definitely on my list of things I smack my ***** too.

Docta
04-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Shia Lebouf is absolutely terrible. Amanda Seyfried should be on the upcoming actress list.
Agreed on La Beouf. Eisenberg deserves to be in there more than he does.

CrankthatCrabtree
04-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I stopped reading when Will Smith and Jaime Foxx weren't on it. Seven Pounds was an extremely solid movie. He should be on the list.

What the **** does "extremely solid" mean. Not to mention Seven Pounds was absolutely horrendous except its ending.

Also PSH not only not being number 1, but not in top 5 is laughable

Ness
04-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Christian Bale is probably my favorite actor in Hollywood right now. I love his movies. The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, 3:10 to Yuma, Terminator Salvation, The New World, American Psycho, etc. I still have to see the Fighter. Looking forward to it. Most if not all of his movies have been worth watching. Too bad that rumor of him playing Solid Snake never came true.

God that made me laugh.

General Zod
04-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I still have to see the Fighter. Looking forward to it.

Bale is awesome in this movie.

Giantsfan1080
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM

She has those BJ eyes also.

SuperMcGee
04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I demand recognition of Ryan Gosling and Sam Rockwell. Not from anyone inparticular, but Gosling >

Docta
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Will Smith is ok, but if he would be included it would be stars past their prime. He has not made a solid movie for quite some time it seems. The fact he is making Men in Black II speaks to the issue of his lack of solid movie roles.

I honestly hated The Pursuit of Happyness, the cheese factor was off the charts, I was never a fan at all of I Am Legend or Hancock, Hitch was ok but not sure it was great, I, Robot I was not a fan, Bad Boys movies nothing great, Ali was ok and could be his only real legit role that was not standard Will Smith, Wild Wild West was terrible, Enemy of the State was not very good and Independence Day was ok but nothing elite in my opinion. But if one has a different opinion of those movies then he would be much higher.

Yes one could easily put him long on the list ahead of Hawke but no one else I feel. Jeremy Renner in the Hurt Locker is more captivating than Will Smith was in any movie of his entire career I feel.

Again as for the ladies, save judgement for Kristen Stewart until you watch Welcome to the Rileys and Speak. Same can be said hopefully for Megan Fox after watching Passion Play. Then again, in reality if they looked different there would be no discussion, fact is films do need famous starlets to sell tickets however.
Bale's performances in The Prestige, and American Psycho were more spectacular than Ethan Hawke's performances in his movies though. And I don't see how the Batman movies could hurt his value. He didn't do a terrible job in them, mediocre maybe, half of the performances you listed for the other actors could be described as mediocre. Don't forget to watch The Machinist also.

jayceheathman
04-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Leonardo DiCaprio has to be the luckiest actor out there. He gets his big break in Titanic which was directed by James Cameron and he has the two top grossing movies of all time. Then he gets Shutter Island and The Departed that were directed by Martin Scorsese who is definitely a legend. Then Catch Me If You Can was directed by Steven Spielberg. Then he gets Inception who was directed by Christopher Nolan. 5 movies, arguably 4 of the top 5-10 directors or so that are out there. They definitely make Leo look good.

SickwithIt1010
04-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Denzel is at the top for me. American Gangster just set him over the top for me. Guy just has that swagger, and he can do literally ANY role. One actor that makes me want to see every new movie he is in.

descendency
04-17-2011, 06:18 AM

Wow. I seriously loved the movie. The biggest flaw it had was that you couldn't watch it twice. I'm not saying it was among the best all time - but it was certainly not a 27/100.

If you wanted an example of a movie Will Smith couldn't carry - Hancock would work. That movie was an abortion.

Ozzy
04-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Shia Lebouf is absolutely terrible. Amanda Seyfried should be on the upcoming actress list.I think Lebouf could potentially be very solid in more comedy roles and I expect that for him in the future.

As for Amanda Seyfried, she does seem like the constant blonde bimbo that she played in Mean Girls and I feel she will have a hell of a time getting away from that label.

If you wanted an example of a movie Will Smith couldn't carry - Hancock would work. That movie was an abortion.haha good one.

SickwithIt1010 Denzel is at the top for me. American Gangster just set him over the top for me. Guy just has that swagger, and he can do literally ANY role. One actor that makes me want to see every new movie he is in.Everyone is different, but was it just me or was American Gangster sickening to watch, I mean if you never saw Scarface or The Godfather it is a very good movie, but if you saw any of those two movies before this one, wow one is not up to par with the others! I liked Denzel in Book of Eli though...

Ozzy
04-17-2011, 07:47 AM
I demand recognition of Ryan Gosling and Sam Rockwell. Not from anyone inparticular, but Gosling >That is true, both are solid actors, but debatable if they have the movie total that some of the others do, minus Ethan Hawke of course who cannot seem to get a role for anything other than a cop film. Even though he was great in Tape.

vidae
04-17-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't see a compelling reason to put Will Smith on the list. How many good movies has he made in the last 10 years?

You say this at the same time you say that Michael Cera should be on a list like this? I like Michael Cera more than the next guy, I'm actually a fan, but really? He plays the same character in every single movie. Will Smith is a much better actor.

Unless we're just talking about who has been in bigger movies, then who cares what his list is in the first place.

bearsfan_51
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
He plays the same character in every single movie. Will Smith is a much better actor.
I agree that Cera has been typecast so far, which is why I put him as a potential person. He's considerably younger, so there's still potential. And while I don't really agree with success as a criteria myself, it was in the original poster's criteria, and Cera has been very relevant as of late.

Also, I'm not sure Will Smith is the best example of character diversity. He's the guy you put in Summer blockbuster action movies that require a lot of yelling, some funny lines, and no character development.

I loved Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but that was 15 years ago.

Hines
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Am I in the minority who likes Shia Lebeauf?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I ******* hate Jesse Eisenberg. That is all. No reason, I just hate his face.

iowatreat54
04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I ******* hate Jesse Eisenberg. That is all. No reason, I just hate his face.

M3lGKMXYOG8

Ness
04-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Also, I'm not sure Will Smith is the best example of character diversity. He's the guy you put in Summer blockbuster action movies that require a lot of yelling, some funny lines, and no character development.

What? What about Ali, Pursuit of Happyness, or the Legend of Bagger Vance? Smith certainly isn't a typecast unlike Michael Cera is.

Ozzy
04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
vidae You say this at the same time you say that Michael Cera should be on a list like this? I like Michael Cera more than the next guy, I'm actually a fan, but really? He plays the same character in every single movie. Will Smith is a much better actor.

Unless we're just talking about who has been in bigger movies, then who cares what his list is in the first place.I agree with you there, again personally not a big Will Smith fan but Michael Cera? He is not in the same category as these actors. He is going to have a REALLY hard time when he grows up, because what can he play outside of a dorky, young teenage boy? I doubt he looks much different as he ages, and I do not see how he could play in that many different movie roles.

Giantsfan1080
04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm a really big fan of Will Smith. I think he has a pretty wide range of characters.

bearsfan_51
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
What? What about Ali, Pursuit of Happyness, or the Legend of Bagger Vance? Smith certainly isn't a typecast unlike Michael Cera is.
Only one of those movies was made in the last 10 years. Will Smith is to action movies what Adam Sandler is to comedies or Jennifer Aniston is to romantic comedies.

General Zod
04-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Hell yes...

http://amandaseyfried.net/gallery/albums/magazines/2010/esquire/004.jpg

FuzzyGopher
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Heather Ledger's corpse is a better actor than Shia Labeouf. I agree that Bale should be up there, watch The Fighter and I'm sure it will change your mind, he's a pretty damn good actor.

Edit: I'd also take off Lohan and add someone like Emma Stone she's a better actor and not a coke *****.

Hines
04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Only one of those movies was made in the last 10 years. Will Smith is to action movies what Adam Sandler is to comedies or Jennifer Aniston is to romantic comedies.

Is this older Adam Sandler or newer Adam Sandler because I find his newer movies VERY stupid and I don't even bother renting them to watch.

Ness
04-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Okay Seven Pounds. There is another. Will Smith can do comedy and drama. Can Adam Sandler?

nepg
04-17-2011, 08:02 PM
That Jesse Eisenberg, Christian Bale, and Robert Downey Jr were all left off is a travesty. Nothing Eisenberg has done hasn't been at least solid (most of his movies are very good). Bale has been on fire lately. Not even counting the Batman movies because I think he's pretty blah in those... The Fighter, The Machinist, et al.

George Clooney should be on there, too.

And Rotten Tomatoes is a very good barometer for movies. It's a simple "like" or "dislike" format. 73% of the critics didn't like Seven Pounds.

wogitalia
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Will Smith can do comedy and drama. Can Adam Sandler?

No Sandler can't do both because he hasn't made a comedy that is funny in years! His drama's have actually been solid in recent times though...

Brad Pitt and Will Smith are one and the same to me. Both pick great roles but they basically play themselves in the roles, which is fine because both are likeable guys that make a movie fun. Neither is exactly a great actor or anything but they are both a hell of a lot of fun and are both in a lot of my favourite movies(especially Pitt).

I don't think there is any case for anyone over DiCaprio at #1. I'm not a huge fan of The Departed but it isn't because of his efforts, Blood Diamond was exceptional, Inception is also exceptional. It's getting dated but Catch Me If You Can is also incredible and he basically hasn't had a bad movie.

Jackman and Downey Jr both deserve mentions along with the oft mentioned Bale. Jackman has done a few rubbish movies but the majority of his stuff is very good. Downey Jr has been in rare form of late.

I think the big thing worth noting is just how bad the quality of leading ladies is right now. I personally think Portman is #1, Black Swan, Leon and V for Vendetta are all great movies that she was a star in. She almost wins by default though, Helen Mirren is probably still the top actress around. The young ones are even worse. They either aren't great on the eye or they can't act, some of them are both...

Complex
04-18-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't think there is any case for anyone over DiCaprio at #1. I'm not a huge fan of The Departed but it isn't because of his efforts, Blood Diamond was exceptional, Inception is also exceptional. It's getting dated but Catch Me If You Can is also incredible and he basically hasn't had a bad movie.

The beach?

Am I in the minority who likes Shia Lebeauf?

I llike Shia too

That Jesse Eisenberg, Christian Bale, and Robert Downey Jr were all left off is a travesty. Nothing Eisenberg has done hasn't been at least solid (most of his movies are very good). Bale has been on fire lately. Not even counting the Batman movies because I think he's pretty blah in those... The Fighter, The Machinist, et al.

George Clooney should be on there, too.

I agree with all this except maybe the Downey part.

Wow can't believe all this Will Smith hate BTW 7 pounds was good and so was enemy of the state.

Denzel Washington should be ahead of Morgan Freeman

CrankthatCrabtree
04-18-2011, 02:00 AM
This thread has made me realize why terrible movies are still being made in Hollywood

Ness
04-18-2011, 04:37 AM
wait, people actually liked seven pounds? that's hilarious.

also, no gary oldman mentions? lulz.

Wasn't about if it was liked. Will Smith played the character well though. Because he can do drama and isn't a typecast.

Ness
04-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Bale is awesome in this movie.

Yes. Just saw it. Bale was awesome as usual.

Amy Adams was hot in there too. Would definitely tear that up.

Giantsfan1080
04-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Amy Adams should have been on the best of the rest list or maybe even in the top 5.

Ness
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
except it was about whether the movie was liked, since that's what i was commenting on, not his role in it.

Oh so you weren't following the context of what was actually being talked about. Gotcha.

stephenson86
04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Amy Adams should have been on the best of the rest list or maybe even in the top 5.

+1 - Easily should make it into the top 5 she is brilliant.

Ozzy
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Phillip Seymour Hoffman

He is not always in leading roles, but even in small parts, he can be flat out hilarious. Here is an example of his parts in Along Came Polly, he was also surprisingly funny in Cold Mountain as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-i3ECq-LO0&feature=related

wogitalia Brad Pitt and Will Smith are one and the same to me. Both pick great roles but they basically play themselves in the roles, which is fine because both are likeable guys that make a movie fun. Neither is exactly a great actor or anything but they are both a hell of a lot of fun and are both in a lot of my favourite movies(especially Pitt).So you have never seen Burn After Reading I take it? To say Pitt only plays himself is very odd, so he is the same in 12 Monkeys as he is in Jesse James? How? I think he has quite a wide range of characters he can play and as he gets older he is getting even better at it. Sure as a young actor he only played certain characters but now he has changed that I feel.

jayceheathman
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
This thread has made me realize why terrible movies are still being made in Hollywood

I would make a terrible movie if I could make millions off of it too. :)

jrdrylie
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
So you have never seen Burn After Reading I take it? To say Pitt only plays himself is very odd, so he is the same in 12 Monkeys as he is in Jesse James? How? I think he has quite a wide range of characters he can play and as he gets older he is getting even better at it. Sure as a young actor he only played certain characters but now he has changed that I feel.

I think when people say an actor only plays themselves in a movie, it is more an issue with the person watching the actor rather than the actor themselves. Sure, there are guys like Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler who play basically the same character in every movie. But with people like Brad Pitt, he is such a big star, that when some people watch him (or others like him), they have trouble looking past the fact that it is Brad Pitt playing the part. In reality, the characters he played in Inglorious Basterds, Burn After Reading, and the Oceans movies very vastly different characters.

My favorite actors happen to be Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Will Smith, and Ryan Reynolds.

Ness
04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
you know, except that i was commenting directly on someone else's comment about the movie. so i was rather *exactly* following the context of those comments. in fact, in your rush to be a snarky douche, you've entirely missed what those comments were and why the response is what it is. but hey, thanks for playing. maybe next time you'll actually spend the whole 34 seconds it would've taken to actually read some part of the thread to understand context instead of immediately jumping in because you thought you'd found a 'gotcha'.
Ahhh, so you weren't following the context of what me and someone else were talking about. And I wasn't being a douchebag. Sorry if you got your feelings hurt, but there was no malice intended in my comment. Rest assured. No need to play the victim card. Your initial statement was right after mine and you didn't quote anyone so I assumed you were trying to intervene with what I and someone else were currently discussing about Seven Pounds.

nepg
04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
eisenberg is the same actor in every movie. he was utterly unbelievable as zuckerberg, because he wasn't playing him. he was playing the same character he is in everything else. he's a slightly different looking version of michael cera.

He was a much different character in Social Network then his usual insecure/awkward youth role.

I sort of agree to a certain extent. He's been a character actor, but it always works and the character is typically a different part or angle in each movie. Which is represented by the high quality of the movies he's been involved with. I haven't seen a movie he was in that I didn't at least like - and most of them I really liked. The Squid and the Whale is my favorite movie, I loved Roger Dodger, Adventureland was really good, and even The Hunting Party was surprisingly good.

Hines
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I like Kevin Costner. I know he hasn't made a movie in a bazillion years, but I loved the movies he was in, such as Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, and Bull Durham.

wogitalia
04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
So you have never seen Burn After Reading I take it? To say Pitt only plays himself is very odd, so he is the same in 12 Monkeys as he is in Jesse James? How? I think he has quite a wide range of characters he can play and as he gets older he is getting even better at it. Sure as a young actor he only played certain characters but now he has changed that I feel.

I haven't seen Jesse James or Burn After Reading but Pitt is pretty much the same guy in every movie I've seen of his(Troy, Snatch, Fight Club, Benjamin Button, Inglorious Basterds, Oceans and Se7en). Sure there are little differences but in every one of them he plays a self assured and confident guy. Nothing wrong with it, he plays that role fantastically and picks movies that suit that role. If those two movies are different then so be it, but in all the movies the character is the same basic character. I've also seen Babel but I honestly can't remember it well enough to comment, either way if it wasn't memorable it probably doesn't belong here!

3 of those movies would make my top 25 movies, possibly even 4 so I clearly enjoy his performances but I can't say I'd rate him anywhere near some of the other guys. Part of it may be that I've never seen him in a movie where he has picked a different role. Brad Pitt is like Peyton Manning to me. I've only ever seen him in the one system and he is so good in it that it would be stupid to me for him to decide he needs a new system. I don't actually doubt that he could, I just haven't seen him do it and see no reason he should!

Ozzy
04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Hines: I like Kevin Costner. I know he hasn't made a movie in a bazillion years, but I loved the movies he was in, such as Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, and Bull Durham.Yeah his career really is basically over. But how can you leave out Dances with Wolves? That was arguably his best.

Splat
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah his career really is basically over. But how can you leave out Dances with Wolves? That was arguably his best.

A Perfect World.

Ness
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
I like Kevin Costner. I know he hasn't made a movie in a bazillion years, but I loved the movies he was in, such as Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, and Bull Durham.

He'll be in the new Superman movie as Clark's father. Looking forward to it.

Ness
04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah his career really is basically over. But how can you leave out Dances with Wolves? That was arguably his best.

Robin Hood and The Untouchables too.

nrk
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one on here that dislikes Christian Bale?

Worst John Connor ever. I get upset just thinking about Terminator Salvation.

Hines
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM

I've only seen bits and pieces.

Ness
04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Am I the only one on here that dislikes Christian Bale?

Worst John Connor ever. I get upset just thinking about Terminator Salvation.

He's had much better performances than Terminator. I hope you're not basing your dislike for him just on that movie.

Ozzy
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Ness Robin Hood and The Untouchables too.True that, that old Robin Hood with Kevin Costner will be hard to beat by the new one with Russell Crowe. I really like that old one with him and Morgan Freeman.

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/MovieImages/rage-lily-cole.jpg
This is a click of the scenes from Lily Cole in Rage, supposedly a bad movie but she shows some real solid potential in these simple yet difficult scenes. At least for one thing she is moderately interesting and holds ones attention, not all actors or actresses can even do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2spyclmw8

And I know it is a shameless plug but for all the movie comedy fans out there, check this video out....Losers baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AMkIMdpHQ

General Zod
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
True that, that old Robin Hood with Kevin Costner will be hard to beat by the new one with Russell Crowe. I really like that old one with him and Morgan Freeman.

This is a click of the scenes from Lily Cole in Rage, supposedly a bad movie but she shows some real solid potential in these simple yet difficult scenes. At least for one thing she is moderately interesting and holds ones attention, not all actors or actresses can even do that.

And I know it is a shameless plug but for all the movie comedy fans out there, check this video out....Losers baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-WdyU1aXc

Its creepy how much she looks like a doll.

wogitalia
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah I want my actresses to be attractive as well, not weird looking gingers.

Tom Servo
04-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Jeff Freaking Bridges!

badgerbacker
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM
My favorite actor? That's easy...Kevin Bacon, obviously. His best movie is probably a tie...between all of them.

Nalej
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Robin Hood and The Untouchables too.

Mr. Brooks. Love that movie.

wordofi
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
True that, that old Robin Hood with Kevin Costner will be hard to beat by the new one with Russell Crowe. I really like that old one with him and Morgan Freeman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AMkIMdpHQ

That photo looks scary!