PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett

Vince Lombardi
03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
So what do you guys think is gonna happen with his contract situation?

He's entering his last year under contract, he's only 25 and on the verge of being a Pro Bowler, and he's going to be demanding a huge contract.

TT doesn't seem to be in any hurry to re-sign him which makes me wonder if he is willing to wait until training camp to see what Abdul Hodge shows. If Hodge impresses then TT would have to make a difficult decision on whether to give Barnett big money when he has a suitable replacement already on the roster. Either that, or if he can actually convince Barnett to move outside, where personally I think he'd be a stud, he could get them both on the field. If he did decide to pass on re-signing Barnett I'm sure he could get pretty good value in a trade for him, either by trading him before the trade deadline next year or by tagging him at the end of the season.

By no means am I saying that I think they should get rid of Barnett, I'm just considering possible scenarios. As of now Hodge is somewhat of an unknown commodity, and even though I really like him, despite his deficiencies in pass coverage, I'm not ready to get rid of Barnett for him.

There's also the possibilty that Barnett could receive an extension any day now, which I'd be very happy about, even though I've heard basically nothing about them working on one.

Nick has had a history of injuries but he seems to be tough enough to play through many of them. There's also the question of whether he's a team player or not with him refusing to move outside (as compared to AJ Hawk who, when asked what position he'd play in GB replied "I will play where ever it will help us win."). Their were also rumors that he didn't like the small town lifestyle in GB (though I don't know if there's any truth to that or not).

In any event, something is gonna have to be done by next season so I think it's worth discussing.

Thoughts/opinions?

GB12
03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I would be extremely disappointed if we let him go. He was our first round pick, still young, and is emerging as a top LB. He's a key piece to our defense and we have the money. I fully trust Thompson, but if he released Barnett I would start to question him a bit.

jackalope
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
i'd really like to extend Barnett. we have the cap space to do it. I'm not sure exactly where Hodge fits in then, but I kind of want to keep Barnett in the middle.

GB12
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
i'd really like to extend Barnett. we have the cap space to do it. I'm not sure exactly where Hodge fits in then, but I kind of want to keep Barnett in the middle.

I'd like to move him outside. But if it was inside or he's gone Hodge can sit on the bench.

johbur
03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
We need to extend Barnett. We have the money, he's had the production. I'm interested to hear what he thinks he's worth. A rookie beat him out as far as number of tackles this year. He didn't force enough turnovers. He still has the range, coverage skills and tackling ability to be a top LB, but I don't see a stupid money contract, considering Ted could franchise him next year if he wants to.

neko4
03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I think wed have to delete the TT love thread if he let Barnett walk, and then starta hate thread if Hodge didn do good

Hawk
03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Barnett reminds me of donnie edwards

princefielder28
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I think we'll see an extension following the draft becuase Ted will be able to gauge what the future salary cap will be and he can decide what type of deal he wants to negotiate.

TitleTown088
03-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I saw the Packers defense play without Nick barnett, and that was once too many. I recently read on Jsonline or somwhere that the contract is being worked on. The FO will resign him, no worries.

FLORIDA PACKER
03-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Barnett never actually refused to play OLB, he said he'd like to stay at Middle but didn't refuse to make a change. He's an all team guy and is handling his business very quietly and professionally(not like Mckdouche bag, and Walker). I say he gets signed before the start of TC if not sooner.

princefielder28
03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Barnett never actually refused to play OLB, he said he'd like to stay at Middle but didn't refuse to make a change. He's an all team guy and is handling his business very quietly and professionally(not like Mckdouche bag, and Walker). I say he gets signed before the start of TC if not sooner.

Barnett will still in the middle! :)

M1Koter
03-23-2007, 01:59 PM

He has said he wants to stay in the middle and would require more pay for him to agree to move outside

GadoR'Savior
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
He has said he wants to stay in the middle and would require more pay for him to agree to move outside

Yup and with this contract that means he can move back to his original spot of SOLB then Hodge in the Middle! I know we will resign him, Ted is not that dumb to let him walk but id like to see him back on the outside like in college he has so much speed and can run wild out there with Hawk i mean that would be one of the best duals on the outside in the NFL.

Hodge needs to work on coverage but with a whole offseason he should be improving and the guy is an animal plane and simple he makes tackles. Plus that would be tight to have Green Bay and Wisconsin both having one of the brothers starting at MLB! His lil brother Elijah is going to be great, would have started last year as a fresman if Mark Zalaski wasnt there

princefielder28
03-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Yup and with this contract that means he can move back to his original spot of SOLB then Hodge in the Middle! I know we will resign him, Ted is not that dumb to let him walk but id like to see him back on the outside like in college he has so much speed and can run wild out there with Hawk i mean that would be one of the best duals on the outside in the NFL.

Hodge needs to work on coverage but with a whole offseason he should be improving and the guy is an animal plane and simple he makes tackles. Plus that would be tight to have Green Bay and Wisconsin both having one of the brothers starting at MLB! His lil brother Elijah is going to be great, would have started last year as a fresman if Mark Zalaski wasnt there

Not a bad idea but it would be all on whether or not Hodge is ready

The Legend
03-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett is focused on the season ahead — not the contract extension he still hasn't received from the Packers, his agent said Monday.

"There is no drop-dead date (for negotiations), because there's nothing we can do," Chuck Price said. "He's under contract, and he's playing.

"Now, the longer he plays without a (long-term) contract, does it affect him mentally? … I can't tell you that. He doesn't feel good about it. But it's something he can't control, so he's not worrying about it."

Price said he hadn't spoken to Packers officials about Barnett's deal in roughly a month and hadn't gotten a response to an e-mail he sent last week. But Barnett, 25, was present for the first day of the team's offseason workout program Monday, Price said.

A first-round draft pick out of Oregon State in 2003, Barnett is scheduled to make $1.95 million in base salary in the final season of his original rookie deal. He started 15 games at middle linebacker last season, missing one with a hand injury, and finished second on the team with 141 tackles (88 solo).

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/PKR01/703200475/1989

princefielder28
03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
He'll never hold out, he'll play to honor his contract and if he doesn't get his money he'll be content to move on

FahvRay
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm pretty sure that he said he wanted a deal, and then he would move outside. He was afraid that if he was moved to the SSLB, his numbers would decrease and he wouldn't get the pay day he would at MLB. He never said that it would take more money for him to move outside rather than to stay in the middle.

PACKmack
03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Hodge has looked great so far in limited play. I say give it one more year see how Hodge progresses and see if Nick Barnett would move to OLB. I think he'd be a monster as an OLB. And would give us the best three young LB tandum in the league!

neko4
03-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Hodge has looked great so far in limited play. I say give it one more year see how Hodge progresses and see if Nick Barnett would move to OLB. I think he'd be a monster as an OLB. And would give us the best three young LB tandum in the league!

I would like to see him do that, but Ive heard he doesnt want to move, I cant find a link, and he did say it last summer, so he might have changed his mind.

princefielder28
03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I would like to see him do that, but Ive heard he doesnt want to move, I cant find a link, and he did say it last summer, so he might have changed his mind.

There's no reason for Barnett to move; he's a proven MLB why move him?

neko4
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Played OLB in college

princefielder28
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
What if Barnett wants to much money from Green Bay and the Packers wanted to trade him??? I was thinking the Packers could deal Barnett and the 16th pick to move up in the draft for one of the top two backs or Laron Landry. I wouldn't mind the move if it actually happened, but what do you guys think????

neko4
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
What if Barnett wants to much money from Green Bay and the Packers wanted to trade him??? I was thinking the Packers could deal Barnett and the 16th pick to move up in the draft for one of the top two backs or Laron Landry. I wouldn't mind the move if it actually happened, but what do you guys think????

And have a bad LB core, no way, Barnetts the heart of the D and the LBs core is probably the 2nd best group in the D

princefielder28
03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
And have a bad LB core, no way, Barnetts the heart of the D and the LBs core is probably the 2nd best group in the D

But if Barnett wants to break the bank b/c he considers himself one of the best and the Packers don't want to pay that and they feel Hodge can play, it may be the Packers best option. I'm not saying I hope it happens or saying there's a chnace of it happening but I thought I would throw that out there for conversation

Vince Lombardi
03-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Because if Hodge proves he can be a starting MLB it'd be foolish to keep him on the bench when you could easily move Barnett outside where he can take advantage of his great speed and athleticism as well as being an upgrade from Poppinga.

princefielder28
03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Because if Hodge proves he can be a starting MLB it'd be foolish to keep him on the bench when you could easily move Barnett outside where he can take advantage of his great speed and athleticism as well as being an upgrade from Poppinga.

That was Brady's first year starting and he will continue to get better. The MLB Position is vital to a team and unless absolutely necessary, money concerns or whatever, I don't think you move him to a different position.

jpapa4490
03-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Perfectly said.

princefielder28
03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Perfectly said.

Thank you very much! :)

Vince Lombardi
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Barnett extended 6 years! woot!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2831864

umphrey
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Awesome !

Do you think that now that he's locked up long term, we might try to move him outside? I heard that he didn't want to change positions while he was in a contract year because he was afraid of bad stats which would cost him money - now he doesn't have to worry about that for a long time.

princefielder28
04-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Well deserved

Vince Lombardi
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Awesome !

Do you think that now that he's locked up long term, we might try to move him outside? I heard that he didn't want to change positions while he was in a contract year because he was afraid of bad stats which would cost him money - now he doesn't have to worry about that for a long time.

I would like for them to explore that possibility, however I have no clue if they will or not. I really want to see Hodge get on the field....

sik wit it
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I would like for them to explore that possibility, however I have no clue if they will or not. I really want to see Hodge get on the field....
Unless Hodge starts to show is stuff i dont see why we should "force" him on the field. Brady showed some progress throughout the year and unless Hodge starts to outshine him, I dont see why we should force Hodge out on the field

princefielder28
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM

I doubt Barnett will get moved due to how solid he is as a MLB. Hawk will be there forever and Poppinga played well for his first year and will only get better. I would not be suprised to see the Packers move Hodge to help solidify another spot or receive another pick. If Hodge is here, he will be a backup unless of an injury.

PACKmanN
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
woot woot!!!!

princefielder28
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Official numbers are 6 years, 35 mil

Boston
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I doubt Barnett will get moved due to how solid he is as a MLB. Hawk will be there forever and Poppinga played well for his first year and will only get better. I would not be suprised to see the Packers move Hodge to help solidify another spot or receive another pick. If Hodge is here, he will be a backup unless of an injury.

Yes, i agree he is solid at MLB. But that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality shouldn't always be used. If Hodge makes some strides in training camp, i think they should at the very least move Barnett outside for a preseason game or two, with Hodge in the middle, and see how that works. And maybe they could try Hawk in the middle while their at it.

PACKmanN
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Barnett not the best person to interveiw lol

princefielder28
04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Yes, i agree he is solid at MLB. But that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality shouldn't always be used. If Hodge makes some strides in training camp, i think they should at the very least move Barnett outside for a preseason game or two, with Hodge in the middle, and see how that works. And maybe they could try Hawk in the middle while their at it.

If Hodge outplays Poppinga in the preseason I am perfectly fine with that but don't give Abdul the right to start when he hasn't proven anything while Brady has been successful starting through an NFL season

TitleTown088
04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
"It was definitely an option to hit the market," Barnett said. "But being a Packer for life, there's not a lot of players who play on the same team for their entire career. I'm blessed, actually, to have that opportunity

what a stud. I'm real glad the pack resigned him.

johbur
04-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Nice contract for him, puts him in the company he deserves to be in given that he's not yet been to the Pro Bowl or have a playoff victory.

Packers still have $14 million for this year, and can lock up Corey Williams around weeks 8-10 if he shows that he's going to be a player. They can alter the contracts of their draft picks to pay out the money up front and be cap friendly next year. I am loving how TT has managed the cap compared to Sherman.

Moses
04-11-2007, 04:28 AM
If Hodge outplays Poppinga in the preseason I am perfectly fine with that but don't give Abdul the right to start when he hasn't proven anything while Brady has been successful starting through an NFL season

I don't know if you can call Poppinga a "success". Early in the year he was burned constantly in coverage.

TitleTown088
04-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't know if you can call Poppinga a "success". Early in the year he was burned constantly in coverage.
Yes, that is true. But his coverage skills were much different towards the end of the year. The difference was really like night and day in my eyes.
You need to remember that the guy used to be a DE and it was prett much his rookie year.

princefielder28
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Those coverage mistakes were gradually fixed and he got better, but any first time player is going to have bumps in the road and he fixed them and really progressed

Boston
04-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Obviously we don't want to start Hodge over Poppinga if he is not playing better. My situation(s) described above were if Hodge was, in fact, out performing Poppinga.

jackalope
04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I really like the extension. I was hoping for it but i didn't expect it so soon.

princefielder28
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I really like the extension. I was hoping for it but i didn't expect it so soon.

soon and rather cheap