PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Corners

DBNYDP
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23050/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-cornerbacks

Personally I thought some of the rankings were ridiculous, Routt at 6?

I thought Kuharsky had the best ranking.

Also what are your top 10s?

PackerLegend
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeaa for some T Willy love.... he was a beast last year.

ChiFan24
04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Brandon Flowers got 3 points.....ESPN should be ashamed of itself.

Me Likey Rookies
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Aqib Talib not in the top 23 lol. Are they thinking hes done for good or do they just not watch football.

NIN1984
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Routt had a fine season. If Aso is out, its his time to shine just like when Woodson left and Aso took over.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Deangelo Hall has no business being in the top 10.

BigBanger
04-19-2011, 11:08 PM
1. Darrelle Revis
2. Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Charles Woodson
4. Brandon Flowers
5. Tramon Williams
6. Asante Samuel
7. Antonio Cromartie
8. Champ Bailey
9. Aqib Talib
10. Corey Webster

Splat
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Outside of maybe two or three games Brandon Flowers was in beast mode last year.

umphrey
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Although Williams and Routt played very well in 2010, their jobs can be made a lot easier by playing with Woodson and Asomugha rather than being asked to be their team’s version of those players. The toughest receiver on the opposition isn’t usually a factor for Williams or Routt.Did he even watch the Packers? Tramon Williams covered the best receiver 90% of the time while Woodson was playing the position of a safety or a linebacker. That's familiar "fantasy football" reasoning where he just assumes that the #1 on the depth chart does all the hard work while the #2 reaps the benefits.

Bosanac01
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
You wanna talk beast CB last season, that man was Brent Grimes. He needs to have another good year or 2 before he'll be a top 10 though.

J255979-11nine
04-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Why is Asante Samuel ranked so high?

jayceheathman
04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Kareem Jackson should definitely be number one.

FuzzyGopher
04-20-2011, 12:55 AM
I love me some Antoine Winfield but there is no way he is the 6th best corner in the league.

yo123
04-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Ugh. Winfield is like a linebacker playing CB at this point. I love him and he's still a decent player but....ugh.

Flyboy
04-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Not having Jabari Greer in the Top 10 is asinine and that's coming off a somewhat down year for him.

AntoinCD
04-20-2011, 02:28 AM
OK so it looks like this could be another thread where fans of every team come and say how is my team's top cb not in this list so ill do it too. Since Devin McCourty is on the list...

How the hell is Darius Butler not in the top 10????

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-20-2011, 08:17 AM
OK so it looks like this could be another thread where fans of every team come and say how is my team's top cb not in this list so ill do it too. Since Devin McCourty is on the list...

How the hell is Darius Butler not in the top 10????

Jerraud Powers not in the top 10 that is preposterous.

DiG
04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Deangelo Hall has no business being in the top 10.

Thanks for the input Jay Cutler...

K Train
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
webster and flowers got raped

wogitalia
04-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Winfield is way too high. He'd be lucky to be a better corner than anyone on that list and a couple of guys that aren't(Talib). I love the guy and if he played safety he'd probably be a top 10 safety but a corner who is poor in coverage is never going to be great even if he is entirely elite as a tackler. If you are only very average at your key responsibility it doesn't really matter. It would be like having a WR who is average at catching but absolutely elite as a blocker, it's nice but he isn't top 10...

PoopSandwich
04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't get how McCourty is viewed so much higher than Haden is.

vidae
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Maybe because he beasted it last year and made the pro-bowl as a rookie?

And lol at Deangelo Hall in the top 10.

AntoinCD
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM

McCourty quickly became the Patriots #1 CB and despite having a horrible pass rush was second in the league in INTs while also being unbelievable against players like Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings etc. He was also extremely good in the run game and when called upon was a very able blitzer.

Haden had a very good year but started out way too slowly and came good in the second half.

JBCX
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Because he was the best pure cover corner in the league last year?

Yes, he still doesn't tackle, but his coverage numbers were off-the-charts last year.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

"With four more pass targets, Samuel would rank as the top cornerback in both Success Rate and yards per pass. (He will in Football Outsiders Almanac 2011, since our ratings in the book generally waive the minimum for cornerbacks who had at least eight starts.)"

PoopSandwich
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
McCourty quickly became the Patriots #1 CB and despite having a horrible pass rush was second in the league in INTs while also being unbelievable against players like Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings etc. He was also extremely good in the run game and when called upon was a very able blitzer.

Haden had a very good year but started out way too slowly and came good in the second half.

1.) the Browns didn't have a good pass rush either, and their terrible offense usually led to the defense being on the field alot.

2.) Haden had 6 INT's without playing the full year as a starter, thats one whole interception less than McCourty.

3.) Haden ended up covering and playing well against #1 receivers with injuries to Brown/Wright and was one of the few bright spots on the team.

I'm not arguing whether or not Haden or McCourty are better, I just don't get how McCourty makes top 10 and Haden isn't even on the list. I think McCourty is sick but I don't see that big of a drop off and am only comparing those two because they were both rookies last year.

Tom Servo
04-20-2011, 03:14 PM

You could apply most of that to Haden as well. He became our #1, had a worse pass rush, had 6 picks I believe, and was probably better agaiinst the run. Granted I didn't see McCourty near as much as I watched Haden, but if he's ahead of Little Joe right now its not by much

Pat Sims 90
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Because McCourty plays for New England and Haden plays for the Browns. So call experts are always on New England nuts and could give two ***** about small market teams.

Tom Servo
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Dammit, you beat me to it WinslowBodden.

Nice argument there tho

zachsaints52
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Jabari Greer gets no love. He was a very underrated pick up and one solid player. Winfield,Routt, and Hall are higher then what the should be.

Hurricanes25
04-20-2011, 03:28 PM
McCourty played out of his mind last year. I would probably put him higher than 8th.

AntoinCD
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
1.) the Browns didn't have a good pass rush either, and their terrible offense usually led to the defense being on the field alot.

2.) Haden had 6 INT's without playing the full year as a starter, thats one whole interception less than McCourty.

3.) Haden ended up covering and playing well against #1 receivers with injuries to Brown/Wright and was one of the few bright spots on the team.

I'm not arguing whether or not Haden or McCourty are better, I just don't get how McCourty makes top 10 and Haden isn't even on the list. I think McCourty is sick but I don't see that big of a drop off and am only comparing those two because they were both rookies last year.

Yeah I wasn't trying to downplay what Haden did last year but it's the fact he didn't come on until the second half of the season.

bucfan12
04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I think its a bit premature to list McCourty as a top 10 CB already. He was a rookie and not saying that he won't get better and eventually be a top level CB, but top 10 could be a bit early.

DeAngello Hall has no business being there. He had a 4 pick game, other than that, he gets burned time and time again. Stanford Routt should be there.

I think the reason Aqib Talib isn't on there is because he's an idiot off the field and good chance he won't be playing this year. If he didn't have off the field problems, he'd be a top 7 CB.

Coombser
04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
McCourty in the top 10 is laughable - Ike Taylor had a very underrated year last year and should be in consideration....

As a Pack fan, Woodson shouldn't be on that list - he plays more of a Safety role with Williams and Shields on the outside - CWood makes unbelievable plays and is a true superstar, but to call him a CB is breaking the trade descriptions act...

SimonRath
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
ive always been a big D. Hall fan :)

AntoinCD
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
McCourty in the top 10 is laughable - Ike Taylor had a very underrated year last year and should be in consideration....

As a Pack fan, Woodson shouldn't be on that list - he plays more of a Safety role with Williams and Shields on the outside - CWood makes unbelievable plays and is a true superstar, but to call him a CB is breaking the trade descriptions act...

“Power Rankings shouldn't be career-achievement awards. Devin McCourty was second-team Associated Press All-Pro, a first-team Sporting News All-Pro, voted a Pro Bowl starter by the fans, coaches and players and tied for second in interceptions. He deserved to be ranked ahead of Bailey, who wasn't mentioned for All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement.”

Tim Graham from ESPN gave that quote. Their not judging these guys on their career, or at least they shouldnt be, they are judging them on how they played last year. Based on just last year McCourty was a top 10 CB in the NFL. Now he has to go and back that up next year and the year after etc, but anyone who says he doesn't deserve to be on the list of top ten CBs from last year is kidding themselves.

bigbluedefense
04-21-2011, 06:33 AM
1. Darrelle Revis
2. Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Charles Woodson
4. Brandon Flowers
5. Tramon Williams
6. Asante Samuel
7. Antonio Cromartie
8. Champ Bailey
9. Aqib Talib
10. Corey Webster

I like this list. Although Charles Woodson isn't really a CB anymore. He's more of a safety/linebacker/pass rusher in their scheme. I'd probably try to squeeze Devin McCourty in there somewhere. Probably remove Cro and put McCourty in his place.

You wanna talk beast CB last season, that man was Brent Grimes. He needs to have another good year or 2 before he'll be a top 10 though.

I disagree with this bc Grimes wasn't covering the #1 WR all the time. Dunta had that responsibility quite often. I'm not saying Grimes wasn't on them too, he was, but it's a lot easier looking good when you cover the opposition's #1 half the game vs the whole game. Big difference.

Plus he's technically their #2 CB, it's hard for me to put a #2 cb in a top 10 list.

Tramon is considered a #2 CB but he's really their #1. So his situation is different.

Samuel was actually a monster this past year. He didn't gamble as much, and was a true shutdown guy. He actually might have had an underrated year to be honest with you.

Corey Webster continues to get no love. I'm not terribly upset by it, bc we'll have to resign him soon and we want the price to be low. But sucks for Corey, the guy is a stud CB.

J-Mike88
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM

So you're going to say Woodson is a great safety now?
Or a great linebacker?
The fact is, he's just changing the role of a CB in certain schemes.

BTW, he broke his collar bone covering the Steelers deep threat one-on-one down the sideline in the Super Bowl. He does it all.

Gay Ork Wang
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Hahahahahah Charles Tillman Ahahahahhahahaha

scottyboy
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

please enlighten us on how McCourty in the top 10 is laughable? he was an absolute monster last year. without a doubt top 10 corner...

scottyboy
04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Because McCourty plays for New England and Haden plays for the Browns. So call experts are always on New England nuts and could give two ***** about small market teams.

this. now I just said McCourty is top 10, and stand by it.
But my lord, I didn't know how beast mode a season Haden was having until after the season. Dude got like no coverage (oh, what a witty pun). Those 2 are going to be the next Nnamdi-Revis debates in about 3 years. And it's gonna rule. I'd say Haden should absolutely be on that list. perhaps not top 10, but damn he should be top 20.
oh, and Webster got jobbed. /giantsfan.
but he really did

Giantsfan1080
04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
It would have been real sexy if Haden and McCourty played together at Rutgers like they were supposed to. Haden ended up choosing Florida though obviously so can't blame him.