PDA

View Full Version : Mock 2.0 2 Rounds

Menardo75
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
*Denotes different pick than previous mock

1. Carolina – QB Cam Newton (jr) Auburn*

Carolina had a disastrous year this year and have very many holes to fill. QB is one very glaring weakness on this roster. The keys were handed over to Matt Moore this year after a promising end to the 09 season. Moore was not able to accomplish much with it, and 2nd round pick Jimmy Clausen didn’t do much more with it. Clausen in many people’s eyes including mine just does not have the look of an NFL quarterback which bumps that to the number one priority. I do not agree with Newton going number one overall as many people including me have serious questions about his character. All the signs are pointing to him being the pick for Carolina however. Newton does bring to the table terrific athleticism and a big arm to work with. He may have the biggest upside of any QB in this draft, but he may also have the most work to do.

2. Denver – DT Marcell Dareus (jr) Alabama

Denvers defensive situation is a mess. Looking at the talent on their roster though moving back to the 4-3 is a very wise move, and we know that John Fox is going to get the best out of the hand he is dealt defensively. There have not been very supportive reviews coming out of the Broncos organization for Tim Tebow, but I have a hard time seeing the Broncos go QB with him and Kyle Orton still on the roster. I think the Broncos go defense with perhaps the top defensive lineman (which is saying something this year) in Marcell Dareus. Dareus is versatile can play the 3 technique and even showed the ability to line up at end and get after the QB. I don’t see the Broncos going defensive end here with Elivs Dumerville a proven pass rusher already on the roster. Hopefully former first round pick Robert Ayers will be able to flash his ability being moved back to his natural defensive end position.

3. Buffalo – OLB Von Miller Texas A&M

Buffalo needs big time help on defense after switching schemes. Mainly a top flight pass rusher or an impact player period in that front seven. I don’t see them going QB here since I think they are very content with Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. Also Chan Gailey has proven he can get lots of production out of QBs that aren’t marquee names. The offensive line needs major improvement but there are not any top flight offensive lineman rated this high this year. Miller is an elite talent that can get after the QB and give that Buffalo defense a huge shot in the arm.

4. Cincinnati – QB Blaine Gabbert (jr) Missouri *

The situation with Carson Palmer is very messy to say the least. If it were me and a guy didn’t want to be part of my team then fine get rid of him and get some compensation for him. This is after all Mike Brown let’s not forget that. If Palmer is not going to be part of the team you can bet the team is not going into the season with Dan Lefevour, and Jordan Palmer as their QBs. Gabbert is a terrific talent with a high football IQ, and if Carson Palmer does not come back Gabbert will be a very good choice to build the new offense around.

5. Arizona – Robert Quinn DE/OLB (Jr) North Carolina

Arizona could really use a QB but they are very high on their two young guys so I don’t think that’s the direction they will go if either of them are even still on the board. The Cardinals defense needs a dynamic edge rusher and perhaps that guy is Robert Quinn from UNC. Quinn hasn’t played in a year but at the end of the day if you know how to play the game of football you don’t forget. Quinn also had a dynamite sophomore season for the Tar Heels. Patrick Peterson is also a realistic pick here but the need of a pass rusher trumps all else on defense.

6. Cleveland – A.J. Green WR (Jr) Georgia

The Browns have a new coach and new systems all over the board with Pat Shurmer coming over from St. Louis. The Browns have needs all over the front seven and Da’Quan Bowers could be a very attractive pick but lets face it this receiving corps needs some serious help. I don’t believe in Colt McCoy as the guy, but if the Browns do then they need to give him some help. This offense will never get to new heights with Peyton Hillis as your leading pass catcher. A.J. Green is a big time WR prospect with Calvin Johnson like potential, and can be a very valuable receiving option for the Browns.

7. San Francisco – Patrick Peterson (Jr) CB LSU

This is a slam dunk pick for the 49ers. They would love to add a QB here, but with all the top guys off the board they will wait to add one later. That turns this pick to the best available defensive player. Peterson is a consensus top player in the draft and considered by some as the best overall player in the draft. The 49ers also could use a pass rusher, but Peterson is too good to pass up at this point.

8. Tennessee – Nick Fairley (Jr) DT Auburn

The Titans are also in the market for a QB but it is probably too early to grab one of the next guys. The Titans roster wise might be in some of the best shape of all of the teams picking this early. The defensive line is not necessarily the biggest position of need for the Titans, but Nick Fairley is a premier defensive talent that the Titans cannot pass up. The fact that Fairley’s former defensive line coach at Auburn is now at the same position in Tennessee that makes this pick even more attractive.

9. Dallas – Cameron Jordan DE California*

Dallas really needs to address the offensive line but I really don’t see Jerry Jones taking a non flashy pick in the first round. Either way I don’t see an offensive tackle worthy of a top ten pick this year. With Marcus Spears becoming a free agent that leaves a big hole at defensive end. Jordan is an outstanding overall prospect with very few holes in his game. Jordan is very highly coveted by people in NFL circles, and let’s not forgot his team mate Tyson Alualu’s sudden rise on draft day last year. At the end of the day I really think that Dallas is going to trade out but if they stick this would be a great pick.

10. Washington – Ryan Mallet(jr) QB Arkansas*

Washington might be the only team with more holes to fill than the Carolina Panthers. It has become clear that the Donovan McNabb era has come to an abrupt end in Washington, and seriously doubt they are counting on Rex Grossman as the long term answer, at least I hope not for their sake. They need help on the offensive line, an OLB, corner, and on the D line. And so we have our first real huge shock of the draft with the Redskins taking the big armed QB out of Arkansas. Mallet has seen his stock rise throughout the pre draft process, and has probably worked his way back into the middle of the first round. Mallet isn’t the prototypical Shanahan QB, but Kyle did a great job building an offense in Houston tailored to Matt Shaub’s talents, so he shouldn’t have a problem doing that with Mallet.

11. Houston – Aldon Smith (Jr) OLB Missouri

I believe the biggest acquisition of the off season so far has been the addition of Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator in Houston. It is a statistical fact the Peyton Manning struggles against 3-4 defenses so why the three teams that have to see him twice a year are not running that system is beyond me. Wade is one of the best DCs in the NFL, but Houston needs major help to run a effective one. The 3-4 really requires two pieces a NT and a OLB that can get after the QB, and Aldon Smith might be just what the doctor ordered. Smith is a highly athletic OLB with great pass rush moves that would be a good step in building this 3-4 defense. Prince Amukamara would be very attractive here, but I don’t see Houston taking a corner back to back years in the first round.

12. Minnesota – Jake Locker QB Washington*

And now we have our second monumental leap up the draft boards. New Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has hammered home the point that QB is the number one priority this off season. I don’t see them going defensive end early with the contract they gave Brian Robison. Locker last year was projected to go ahead of Sam Bradford let’s not forget that. The Vikings are rumored to covet him and why not he has all of the physical tools to be an elite QB, and will become one if he improves his accuracy from within the pocket. This is a big risk but let’s face it when is taking QB early not one?

13. Detroit – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska*

If this happens Detroit will be doing back flips in their war room. The Lions have done a very nice job rebuilding that football team, but still have some major pieces to add. You could argue that Louis Delmas is the only player in the secondary that should be starting a full 16 game season in the NFL. Amukamara however will give them that shut down corner they have really been searching for. Don’t rule out offensive tackle either if the Lions decide they actually want to help Matt Stafford survive an NFL season.

14. St. Louis – Julio Jones WR Alabama(JR)*

In a world with trades no way St. Louis gets this guy without trading up, but in this scenario they might be the happiest team so far in the first round. Defensive end and linebacker are needs, but Julio Jones would be an excellent addition to help the development of Sam Bradford.

15. Miami – Mike Pouncy OG Florida

Mark Ingram seems to be the consensus pick here, and running back is a huge need for Miami, but Ingram really is not a very good fit for the Dolphins offensive system so I think they will looks elsewhere. The Dolphins offensive line was ravaged by injuries last year, but even when healthy they need an upgrade inside. Pouncy can be an impact starter on the offensive line right away and help turn this unit into a premier unit in the NFL. Some people feel he might be better than his brother and his brother was pretty good for the Steelers last year.

16. Jacksonville – J.J. Watt (JR) DE Wisconsin*

The Jags have recognized their need for a defensive end for some time now and the fact they haven’t addressed it isn’t for lack of trying. Derrick Harvey was a huge bust, and Aaron Kampman can’t stay healthy. Watt is a potential top ten selection with a great motor and is very solid against the run and getting after the QB, and in my opinion would be a huge steal here.

17. New England(F/OAK) – Tyron Smith OT USC

New England once again is as good at moving around in the draft as anybody so you never really know what they are going to do. The Patriots would jump all over Mike Pouncy if he was still on the board here, but he is gone. They could use a pass rusher Justin Houston is a possibility but it might be too early for him or Brooks Reed. They really want to upgrade the offensive line and Tyron Smith would be a bargain at this spot. He can come in behind Matt Light and wait his turn. The Patriots has the luxury of not having to have all their top picks having to play right away and Smith could develop into a great LT.

18. San Diego – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

I really want to give the Chargers an OLB, but I think they will give Larry English one last chance to prove his worth. Defensive end is another area of need though for the Chargers. With Greg Manusky coming in to run the defense the backside defensive end in his scheme lines up as more of a traditional defensive end, and is essentially turned loose. This would be a great fit for Adrian Clayborn. Clayborn was considered a sure fire top ten pick last year, but after an injury plagued senior season his stock has fallen. I believe though that he would really flourish in this situation.

19. New York Giants – Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

The Giants once dominate offensive line is starting to fade away with age and somebody needs to be brought in to upgrade. Castonzo may never be an elite LT but he will never hurt you being in the lineup and should be just fine protecting Eli Manning. The Giants could also use interior offensive line help, and help in the front seven on defense, but with Castonzo on the board I doubt they will pass on him.

20. Tampa Bay – Da’Quan Bowers(jr) DE Clemson*

You have to give the Bucs credit they might have put together some terrific draft classes the last couple years, but they need to keep it up to turn this team into one of the elites. They have needs at defensive end and Da’Quan Bowers at one time was thought to be a candidate to be the first player selected in the whole draft. Bowers’ stock has fallen due to some knee concerns but his potential could make this worth the risk. If Bowers can stay healthy and develop you could be talking about one of the best 4-3 d-lines in football.

21. Kansas City – Justin Houston DE/OLB Georgia(jr)*

Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi could easily be the pick here since offensive tackle is an area of need, but the Chief’s could wait and get a RT later in the draft. I have had Phil Taylor at this spot for a long time, but due to the recent medical reports that have come out he may fall a little bit on draft day. An OLB opposite Tamba Hali however is just as big of a need. Houston gets the nod over Ryan Kerrigan just because I feel Houston is a better fit on the strong side. Houston would be a welcomed addition however to the chief’s defense.

22. Indianapolis – Nate Solder OT Colorado

The Colts offensive line was publicly criticized by their general manager after the Super Bowl loss, and instead of doing something about it he drafted Jerry Hughes last year. This year I can’t see the Colts going in any other direction. Solder gets the nod over Carimi here because of his upside as a LT, whereas I believe Carimi is better suited for the right side. Solder might not be ready right away, but he could turn into a great blindside protector for Manning.

23. Philadelphia – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin

The Eagles could use an upgrade a corner and Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris could be very attractive picks. Michael Vick however is your franchise now and you need to protect him. Vick took a beating last year and they have a big need at offensive tackle. Carimi is an ideal fit at right tackle, and you know Howard Mudd is going to get every ounce of his potential out of him.

24. New Orleans – Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue*

A lot of people are going to scream for the Saints taking safety, but one bad game doesn’t mean they need help at safety. If they New Orleans secondary needs anything it’s for them to all stay healthy. They do however need a defensive end opposite Will Smith. Kerrigan is a high motor guy that can really get after the QB. He will give the Saints pass rush a much needed shot in the arm. The Saints also need to add an OLB at some point in the draft. Bottom line the Saints will take whoever the top rated player on their board is and who knows who that is.

25. Seattle – Muhammed Wilkerson DT(jr)* Temple

The Seahawks have needs in a lot of places especially the offensive line. All the first round interrior offensive lineman are off the board though. I really wanted to give them Mark Ingram, but I don’t see RB as a high priority on their list. D-line is a area of need however, especially if they can’t bring back Brandon Mebane. Wilkerson is another under the radar player that has risen up draft boards who brings a lot of versatility to the table.

26. Baltimore – Jimmy Smith CB Colorado

The Ravens would like to add a vertical threat for Joe Flacco, but with the holes they have at corner and the way they were exposed in the playoffs I think that’s the direction they go. Jimmy Smith might have the best athletic measurable of any corner in this draft, and would be a good find for the Ravens late in the first round.

27. Atlanta – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State*

The Falcons burst onto the scene last year winning 14 games, and the embarrassed at home by the packers. A WR to complement Roddy White is a big possibility, but the Falcons have a pretty good need at defensive end which I believe Heyward fits. Heyward is an outstanding all around player who can help get to the QB and stop the run and can even kick inside to the 3 technique in certain situations.

28. New England – Akeem Ayers (jr) OLB UCLA*

With the Patriots second first round pick they add a complement to Jermaine Cunningham with Ayers.

29. Chicago – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi *

The Bears offensive line was horrendous last year, and some bodies need to be added up front, and Sherrod would be a very nice addition. Don’t rule out defensive tackle either since Tommie Harris will not be back with the team.

30. New York Jets – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona

With Kris Jenkins gone the Jets need a NT, but they could add one later. FS could be upgraded with either Aaron Williams or Rahim Moore, but they really need a weakside rusher with Jason Taylor getting the axe. Brooks Reed has is a relentless pass rusher who could complement Calvin Pace quite nicely.

31. Pittsburgh – Aaron Williams (jr) CB/FS Texas

Ryan Clark is getting up there in years and the entire corner corps got victimized in the super bowl. Williams is exactly the type of player that the Steelers look for with his aggressive play.

32. Green Bay – Christian Ballard DE Iowa

The Packers made a historic run to the Super Bowl, but with that being said they have some big needs to fill. One of the holes is at defensive end where Cullen Jenkins Might not be back and Johnny Jolly is in trouble with the law again. Ballard would be a great fit as the 5 technique in Green Bays defense. Don’t rule out offensive line here as well.

33. New England(F/Carolina) – Mark Ingram (Jr) RB Alabama

A top 15 talent not a huge need but talent too good to pass up here.

34. Buffalo – Christian Ponder QB Florida St. *

Buffalo possibly nabs their QB of the future.

35. Cincinnati – Danny Watkins OG Baylor*

Talented Mature offensive lineman to help protect Blaine Gabbert.

36. Denver – Brandon Harris (JR) CB Miami

Longterm replacement for Champ Bailey.

37. Cleveland – Marvin Austin DT North Carolina

Swtiching back to the 4-3 Austin is the type of quick penetrating DT the system needs.

38. Arizona – Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh*

Pass rusher to help an aging OLB corps.

39. Tennessee – Andy Dalton QB TCU*

Potential QB of the future in Tennessee.

40. Dallas – Clint Boling OT/OG Georgia

Time to start replacing the aging offensive line in Dallas.

41. Washington – Torrey Smith WR(jr) Maryland*

A Weapon for Ryan Mallet to throw to.

42. Houston – Stephen Paea NT Oregon State

The Texans find their NT for their new defense.

43. Minnesota – Ras I Dowling CB Virginia*

Possible replacement for Antoine Winfield.

44. Detroit – Allen Bailey DE Miami*

Boom or bust prospect that can be brought in behind Kyle Vanden Bosh.

45. San Francisco – Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada

Very intriguing QB prospect huge upside and a guy Harbaugh really likes.

46. Denver(F/MIA) – Bruce Carter OLB UNC*

Could have been a first round pick if it wasn’t for a knee injury huge boost to the LB corps.

47. St. Louis – Corey Luiget DT Illinois*

Terrific value pick great addition to the D-line.

48. Oakland – Stephen Wisniewski OG Penn State*

With Robert Gallery leaving as a free agent there is a big need at guard, and there just isn’t a corner that’s fast enough for this pick.

49. Jacksonville – Leonard Hankerson WR Miami

Mike Sims-Walker will not be back which leaves the Jags with a big hole at WR.

50. San Diego – Martez Wilson (JR) ILB Illinois

A big athletic linebacker to add to the corps in San Diego.

51. Tampa Bay – Johnny Patrick CB Louisville*

Uncertainty around Aqib Talib and an aging Ronde Barber make this pick.

52. New York Giants – Greg Jones ILB Michigan State*

Tackling machine added into the middle of that defense.

53. Indianapolis – Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State

Good fit for the Colts line eventual replacement for Jeff Saturday could start at guard early.

54. Philadelphia – Curtis Brown CB Texas*

Need a replacement for Ellis Hobbs

55. Kansas City – Phil Taylor NT Baylor*

Big steal here if his medical conditions check out could have been their first pick.

56. New Orleans – Mason Foster OLB Washington

Fills a big need at OLB also has leadership qualities.

57. Seattle – Orlando Franklin OT/OG Miami

Big upgrade added to the offensive line.

58. Baltimore – Titus Young WR Boise State*

More Weapons for Joe Flacco is never a bad idea.

59. Atlanta – Randall Cobb WR Kentucky *

Very solid do it all player that can help the offense.

60. New England – Jarvis Jenkins DT Clemson

High rising player could fit in at any of the 3-4 defensive line spots.

61. San Diego – Ben Ijalana OT/OG Villanova

This year’s small school sleeper could start at a lot of different spots for the Chargers.

62. Chicago – Drake Nevis DT LSU*

Tommie Harris is gone and depth is needed at the d-line

63. Pittsburgh – James Carpenter OT/OG Alabama

Versatile piece to add to the offensive line.

64. Green Bay – Tandon Doss WR Indiana

Donald Driver is ancient and James Jones is a free agent.

Pat Sims 90
04-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Don't see Mike Brown taking a QB in the 1st he still thinks Carson is bluffing.

Watkins is solid in the 2nd.

49erNation85
04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Not a bad 49ers draft.Scary to think CK might be our pick in round two if we don't go after Ponder or Locker for a trade.I just hope he can transition period nice and smooth.

wicket
04-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Love the two saints picks, love em, just doubt anyone will scream for the saints to take a safety

holt_bruce81
04-22-2011, 03:53 AM
If the Rams get Julio Jones and then Corey Luiget in Round two, I'll **** my wall.

T-RICH49
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Houston AND Taylor?+rep good sir

Seasonticketholder
04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Great Saints picks!!

zachsaints52
04-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Love the two saints picks, love em, just doubt anyone will scream for the saints to take a safety

Pretty much this haha. Noone has screamed safety

stl9erfan
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
A+ Niners draft. Any mock that combines Kaepernick/Dalton with Peterson is basically a dream scenario.

Menardo75
04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Pretty much this haha. Noone has screamed safety

Just seemed like all of the non Saint fans thought the Saints need a safety.

StrikeAnywhere
04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Highly unlikely Liuget falls into the 2nd round. If he does there's no way he slides past Denver's pick at 36.

proshoota25
04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
very unlikely patriots draft. ingram is the only great pick in there... no way do the pats take many players who are very risky.... aka tyron and ayers

thebow305
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Ugh, you know you're my boy, but damn that's a rough pick for Miami.

noondog
04-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Bruce Carter or Mason Foster are more suited for the Lions based on need at this point and are no worse then Bailey in my opinion. Prince would be the bomb in the first!

wicket
04-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Just seemed like all of the non Saint fans thought the Saints need a safety.

a few of em also thought the saints needed a running back :)