PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Mock Draft: 3 Days

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
1. Carolina Panthers: Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn- No player in this class stirs up more debates than quarterback Cameron Newton. He provided one of the greatest seasons by a quarterback in the history of college football and took an above average Auburn team and turned them into National Champions. He has a rocket arm, underrated accuracy, and is a dual threat like no player before him at his position. But there are red flags. He transferred from Florida to Blinn College after stealing a laptop and cheating on numerous tests. His father offered Cameron’s playing services to Mississippi State for $180,000, apparently without Cameron’s knowledge. But the golden rule at the top of the draft is simple: If you don’t have a franchise quarterback, you take one. Carolina doesn’t have one. Jimmy Clausen, who I was an avid supporter of during last year’s draft season, showed little last season to give the new Panthers regime enough confidence to pass up on a potential franchise guy. The Panthers have a gaping hole at defensive tackle which leads some to think they will pick Marcel Dareus while A.J. Green and Patrick Peterson are the only two prospects that are elite in this class. But Newton has a higher ceiling than any player in this class. Some think he is a bust waiting to happen along the lines of Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf. I see him more as a supped up Ben Roethlisberger. He has tremendous arm strength, size, and mobility. The offense he played in leads some to believe that he was just a runner, but he flashed very solid accuracy in every game and made very few questionable throws, and virtually none in pressure situations. In recent years the top team has been pressured to pick a non-quarterback (Detroit fans wanted Aaron Curry or Jason Smith in 2009 and St. Louis fans lobbied for Ndamukong Suh) but in the end both teams went with a quarterback. Newton may bust, but so can every prospect. Newton has “it” and he will be the first pick of the 2011 NFL Draft.

2. Denver Broncos: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri- This is going to shock many people, but if you look at Denver’s subtle hints this offseason the pick becomes rational. John Elway, Denver’s new vice president of football operations, has yet to give Tim Tebow the benefit of the doubt as the Broncos quarterback of the future. Josh McDaniels, the man who selected Tebow, is no longer their head coach leaving Tebow with very few people that were there when he was picked. John Fox has already stated Kyle Orton will be the starter going into camp, which isn’t a ringing endorsement for Tebow. And on top of all of this, there has been Denver personnel at every major quarterback prospect’s Pro Day. Elway will want to obtain his guy, especially someone with similar physical qualities (big arm, mobile, and good size). I look at Gabbert as a third round prospect and a major project, but NFL teams seem to not agree and Denver is one of them. The Broncos could very well go with Marcel Dareus to shore up their interior, but in the end they have to get “their guy”.

3. Buffalo Bills: Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama- Buffalo’s defense was one of the worst in the NFL last year. They finished 24th in total defense, but their rush defense ranked 32nd in the league and it wasn’t even close. Kyle Williams was dominant on their line but they need another big body on their defensive front to shore up their unit. Marcel Dareus is scheme diverse, meaning he can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4, so he fits Buffalo’s 3-4 defense at defensive end. Dareus is an excellent run stopper and pass rusher who can start from day one. Von Miller is an enticing pick because of his upside as a pass rusher, but they need to shore up their run defense and Dareus will do just that.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia- I am not a big fan of taking wide receivers in the top five, but A.J. Green is an exception. He is one of two elite players in this class along with Patrick Peterson and for good reason. He has fantastic size at 6’4 212 lbs. He has the best hands in the draft and has the wingspan to catch anything in his radius. With Terrell Owens not coming back and Chad Johnson practically out the door, the Bengals will need to get a target for whomever is playing quarterback for Cincy next season. Carson Palmer says he will retire if he is not traded and many people around the league think he will stick to that, but a target with A.J.’s ability may change his mind.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M- If everything falls the way it has on draft day, the Cardinals will be absolutely thrilled. The Cardinals need pass rushing in the worst way and Von Miller provides exactly that. He is small for a 3-4 ‘backer at 6’3 230 lbs. but Elvis Dumervill would probably have something to say to that. He is not very physical either, which worries me, but he has the ability to beat any left tackle on any play in this league. He can dip-and-rip unlike any other pass rusher in this draft and has the elite first step you want out of a pass rusher.

6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama- Patrick Peterson is easily the best player on the board, but I cannot see the Browns taking another corner in the top seven and investing that kind of money at the same position. Julio Jones is as near an elite receiver I have scouted without being one. He has prototypical size, fantastic timed speed, really good production, and is an elite blocker along with pretty solid hands. But his ability to separate doesn’t seem to be where it needs to be, though he can beat weaker corners in the NFL solely on his athleticism. Colt McCoy needs a top weapon like Jones.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, LSU, CB- Patrick Peterson is my 2nd overall prospect in this year’s draft and the only elite prospect other than A.J. Green, so the probability of him falling to the seventh are slim. If he does slip San Francisco will not hesitate to pick him. Peterson is the best cornerback prospect in the last decade for good reason. He has great hands, very quick on reacting to a ball, great backpedal, terrific lateral quickness, and the speed to hang with any receiver. On top of all of that, Peterson is a solid 6’1 220 lbs. There aren’t many athletes like him at any level of football at any position and if San Francisco has a chance to take him, they won’t hesitate.

8. Tennessee Titans: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas- I think Nick Fairley has the most potential of any defender in this draft and would be a great fit for the Titans, but Tennessee absolutely has to get a quarterback. Ryan Mallet has had numerous rumors about him come about during this draft offseason but nothing has surfaced, leading to his rise up many draft boards around the league. I have stated numerous times during the draft season that Mallet is the best passer in this draft and for good reason, but I don’t think he has all of the necessary quarterback skills to start right away. He has trouble with any sort of pressure and resetting his feet even when he does manage to get away. His ability to read a defense is very elementary and often relies on his arms to fit the ball into tight coverages as well, but he has tremendous downfield accuracy and throws the best ball in the draft. Tennessee needs to get a quarterback that can stretch the field, taking pressure off of Chris Johnson and Mallet is that guy.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina- Tyron Smith has become a popular choice in recent mock drafts and for good reason. Dallas’ offensive line could not keep Tony Romo upright and ended up going down for the season, but if Robert Quinn is on the board I don’t think Jerry Jones will be able to help himself. Quinn is an athletic freak at 6’4 260 lbs. and has been timed in the 4.5 range and that translates to the field. He is an elite pass rusher with the body to be able to hold the edge in a 3-4 defense. He reminds some of Demarcus Ware and if Jones feels Quinn can become that type of player, Dallas could have a potentially lethal pass rush.

10. Washington Redskins: Cameron Jordan, DE, California- Washington would probably like to see either Quinn or Jones fall here but that is not the case so they will have to look at the next best prospect. Jordan is a better fit in a 3-4 defense than Nick Fairley, which is why I’m giving Jordan the edge here. Jordan is a big defensive end at 6’5 285 lbs. and absolutely dominated the Senior Bowl this year. He has a long wingspan, a thick frame for 3-4 defensive end, above average pass rush ability, and a very good motor that helps him dominate the run. Don’t be surprised to see Jordan go as high as the seventh overall pick.

11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska- I have heard numerous times that the Texans will not use back to back first round picks on cornerbacks and I have reason to believe that they will stick by that philosophy on draft day. The problem here is that the Texans may have no other choice. They need secondary reinforcement first and foremost. Their pass defense was atrocious last year and was a big reason they missed the playoffs. Free agency would be a great place to get a veteran corner, but to date there is no Collective Bargaining Agreement so there is no free agency. On top of all of this, Prince Amukamara is a fantastic prospect in his own right. He has great size for a corner at 6’1 205 lbs. and runs fairly well. I don’t think his timed speed reflects his game speed, though, which could hurt him in the NFL, but his physicality, athleticism, and long arms make him a covetable cornerback.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington- This is the hardest pick I’ve had to project so far. Da’Quan Bowers is a top five prospect in this draft and would be a dominant compliment to Jared Allen. Tyron Smith would be a great blindside protector to whoever plays quarterback for Minnesota next year, and would allow Bryant McKinnie to move to the right side. But Leslie Frazier has stated that he wants a franchise quarterback in Minnesota and word is they like Jake Locker enough to take him at 12 because of his likeness to Brett Favre. Considering Jake Locker would have gone ahead of Sam Bradford last year, I cannot fault the team for taking him. He’s an extremely athletic passer with great arm strength. His ability to make throws on the move rival Bradford’s. His accuracy is very shaky which keeps him out of the top three picks, but if he can prove his problems were more because of the lack of talent around him, Minnesota will have their franchise quarterback.

13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC- If Da’Quan Bowers and Tyron Smith are both on the board, which they are in this scenario; you may as well flip a coin. The Lions have been reluctant in the past to upgrade their offensive line, choosing to go for the best player available regardless of position. Matt Stafford won’t survive much longer in Detroit if he is running for his life every play. Make no mistake about it Matt Stafford is a franchise quarterback and very well may end up being the best quarterback in the league someday. But for that to happen, he must get offensive line help. Tyron Smith is a very athletic tackle with a mean streak. Smith is a bit of a project but if Jerry Jones is considering breaking his record of never choosing an offensive lineman in the first round for this kid, than I think he’s a calculated risk.

14. St. Louis Rams: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn- Unless St. Louis trades into the top ten I don’t see them getting Julio Jones, but if Fairley falls to them I’m sure they won’t mind. St. Louis’ second option in the 2010 Draft was Ndamukong Suh because they needed, and still need, a game changing defensive tackle. Nick Fairley has the highest ceiling of any defender in this draft, but he has a long way to go. Fairley is an extremely athletic defensive tackle. He has long arms, very quick off of the snap, good lateral speed though he lacks pursuit, and is a decent run defender. Steve Spagnuolo will want to take a game changer like Fairley to add to his defense.

15. Miami Dolphins: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri- The Dolphins are in an odd spot. They are too low to get a franchise quarterback but they don’t have many needs worthy of taking at this spot so Miami will be a prime trading partner come draft day. If Miami decides to stay here I don’t see how they could pass up on Aldon Smith. Miami has given the signal that they will be looking for a pass rusher and Smith is that guy. He’s very athletic for his size, but will need to slim down if he wants to be able to drop into coverage. Smith is a project but could very well go in the top ten on draft day.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue- Jacksonville needs to hit on this pick. They have a young team but a couple of key players are creeping into the tail end of their careers. David Garrard is a great game manager but he’s not going to take them to the next level and at this point in his career he is bound to regress. Rashean Mathis was once one of the top ten corners in the league but is really starting to slow down. Maurice Jones-Drew is still a premier back, but injuries may eventually cut his career short. This may sound like a broken record but Jacksonville must upgrade their pass rush. Kerrigan has a non-stop motor and really good strength for a right end. His ability to get to the quarterback is well documented and, with the right scheme, can be a potential ten sack end.

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland): J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin- I wanted to give New England an impact skill player or high upside guy, but after watching New England play this year it is evident they have to get an end. Vince Wilfork was moved all over the line to try to get the best players on the field, but it was evident that he affects the game most at nose tackle. Watt is a solid defensive end. He has underrated pass rush ability to go along with a non-stop motor, which Bill Belichick loves. I’m a little concerned if Watt can hold up as a 3-4 end against the run seeing as he isn’t as stout as most 3-4 end’s, but he is smart and knows how to play the game.

18. San Diego Chargers: Muhammed Wilkerson, DT, Temple- I think San Diego will move their pick seeing as how the players available don’t fit their needs/scheme, but if they are stuck here they’ll need to get some help on the defensive side of the ball. Wilkerson is ideally a three-technique in the NFL, but I can see him at 3-4 defensive end in a system that gives him more one-on-one matchups than a system that wants their ends to be space eaters. Wilkerson has a very finesse game, meaning he’s a good pass rusher, but will need to develop the necessary run stopping skills to excel in this D.

19. New York Giants: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama- I’m going against the grain here. Most think the Giants are zeroing in on Boston College tackle Anthony Castanzo, but I think they’ll shock many by taking Ingram. Brandon Jacobs will most likely leave when free agency starts and Ahamed Bradshaw had fumbling issues last year, but most of all the Giants could not close out games last year. The passing attack was asked to win those close games and fell short of the playoffs for that reason. Eli Manning is a great game manager with the ability to takeover a game every once in awhile, but he cannot shoulder the load and will the team to victory. The Giants love to win with a power run game and that’s what they are getting with Ingram. Mark Ingram isn’t going to be mistook for Adrian Peterson, but I love him as a runner. He’s physical, gritty, has great leg drive and lower body strength, a great stiff arm, and powers over a defense. If his knee holds up, he can be a 20+ carry back and a possible Pro Bowler.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson- I will restate what I put on twitter: I have never seen a bona fide top five prospect have a possibility to drop into the twenties. I love Da’Quan Bowers as a prospect. He is physical, instinctive, powerful, and has a good base for a defensive end. He plays like a defensive tackle on runs and a linebacker on pass plays. Bowers’ pass rush ability is questioned, but if you watch the games what he lacks in explosiveness he makes up for with speed and power. You don’t have to be a Dwight Freeney to be a good pass rusher. He reminds me a lot of Mario Williams coming out of college and in some drafts would be the first pick. If he falls to Tampa they will jump on Bowers and have a dominant line for the future with Gerald McCoy and Bowers.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College- There are a lot of solid options here for Kansas City, but if Matt Cassel is their guy moving forward they will have to protect him. Branden Albert has proven to be a subpar left tackle, but I like him at a less demanding position like guard or even right tackle. Castanzo may not be a franchise left tackle, but that doesn’t mean he can’t play the position. He has great technique, above average strength, and good feet. He won’t wow you or shut down a top tier pass rusher, but he’ll be consistent week in and week out. I see him as a guy that you can plug in and forget about him for the next ten years.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado- The Colts need a pass protector if they want Peyton Manning to play into his late thirties. There is no other pick to make even with Corey Liuget on the board. Nate Solder versus Gabe Carimi at this pick will be an interesting debate if both are on the board. Carimi is a mauler by nature but showed very good feet at the Senior Bowl. Solder is a very finesse tackle but has a light mean streak and is extremely athletic. Solder may be more of a project than Carimi, but his upside is huge and, with the coaching staff in Indianapolis, I see them taking the chance on a potential stud at left tackle.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado- This pick comes down to whether the Eagles think they can get a starting right tackle in the second round. Michael Vick got killed in the pocket at the end of last year and his played tailed off considerably because of it. The Eagles need a corner but if they aren’t confident in the later tackles or King Dunlap, they’ll have to take that guy here. Jimmy Smith would be hard to pass on, though. Smith has a tremendous blend of size, speed, and athleticism that scouts love out of cornerbacks. He has a lot of baggage but Michael Vick did too, so Andy Reid obviously wouldn’t mind taking that on.

24. New Orleans Saints: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois- The Saints had their fair share of injuries last year. The position that was hit the hardest was the running back position. Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas missed games because of injuries and the team was forced to start Chris Ivory. He played well but the fact is the team needs a back to rely on. Leshoure is a starting caliber running back and has a great blend of size and speed to compliment his cutting ability. Leshoure is a legit first round prospect.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida- I’m in a small boat that thinks Mike Pouncey is highly overrated. He isn’t on the same level as his brother, Maurkice Pouncey, and shouldn’t be picked in the top twenty. With that said, Mike is a complete guard. His run blocking is up there with the best of them; he can pull and is very effective on counters. I don’t think he can play center at the next level though. After suffering through a rough start, especially against Miami (Ohio), I don’t think he has the mental to play the position. Pouncey is highly regarded by teams so he probably won’t make it this far. If he does he can fill the position at left guard that Steve Hutchinson and Rob Sims once occupied.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin- The Ravens are a hard team to project. They need a corner more than any other position on their team but the value doesn’t seem there. A speed receiver like Titus Young would be great, but obtaining a guy in the second round like Jerrel Jernigan in the second. A rush linebacker or defensive end wouldn’t hurt either. But if an offensive tackle like Carimi is sitting there I can’t see them passing him up. With Jarred Gaither’s back problems, the team will need to find a bookend for Michael Oher. Marshall Yanda had to kick out to right tackle this season and it threw off their line. Having a line consisting of Oher, Ben Grubbs, Chris Chester, Yanda, and Carimi would be insane.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame- Reports are swirling that Tony Gonzalez will retire after this year, whether there is a football season or not. Matt Ryan loves throwing to Gonzalez and will continue to utilize the tight end position in the future. But who will he have to throw it to? Rudolph would be a perfect option. He will have a year to learn the offense and get completely healthy before he is pushed into the starting lineup. I think a speed rusher like Justin Houston or Brooks Reed would is their number one need, but Houston may be available in the second so they can risk passing him up.

28. New England Patriots: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA- Bill Belichick likes linebackers that can drop into coverage as well as rush the passer. Ayers fills both of those needs. He is a very athletic, has good hips in coverage, and plays the run well. His toughness has been called into question multiple times, but the Patriots have shown interest in him and would make a good bookend for Jermaine Cunningham. A luxury pick at the skill positions like Leshoure or Randall Cobb could be selected here, but Ayers fills value and need here.

29. Chicago Bears: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois- Corey Liuget is a very intriguing prospect to me. I couldn’t find many Illinois games after the season ended, but the opinions on him are quite high among draftniks. Some have him rated higher than Nick Fairley. I don’t see it. He is stout and rushes the passer with a wide variety of moves, but he is a one year wonder and I don’t see the physicality that Fairley shows. But in the late first round he provides great value. Tommie Harris was cut before the lockout, leaving a huge hole in Lovie Smith’s Tampa scheme. Chicago could also take Derek Sherrod here.

30. New York Jets: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor- Kris Jenkins was a great fit at nose tackle for the Jets, but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy and it seems like his career is coming to an end. B.J. Raji, Vince Wilfork, and Casey Hampton have proven that the key component of a 3-4 defense is a stud nose tackle. Phil Taylor can be that guy. Taylor is a huge defensive tackle with a very high ceiling. He is an elite run stuffer and provides some pass rush, even in a 3-4 scheme. I think he can be a major steal if he is utilized correctly.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas- Word is that the Steelers are zeroing in on Aaron Williams. Pittsburgh usually projects their picks (Heath Miller, Ziggy Hood, Maurkice Pouncey) so this seems pretty likely. Aaron Williams played corner at Texas but most think he will play at free safety at the next level. I’m a big Aaron Williams fan. He reminds me a lot of former Longhorns corner Aaron Ross and will be able to takeover for Ryan Clark in a year or two. Derek Sherrod is another possibility as well.

32. Green Bay Packers: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State- The likelihood of the Packers keeping this pick is slim. With so many teams jockeying up to pick up a quarterback at the end of the first, the Packers may be able to pick up an extra second or first round pick in next year’s draft. If not, Green Bay will HAVE to pick up a defensive end early and Heyward is the last 3-4 end available before a noticeable drop off. I’m not the biggest Cameron Heyward fan, but he provides great value at the end of the first round. He is a tough, blue collar defensive end with the ability to takeover games. With John Jolly’s legal troubles, Justin Harrell’s injury problems, and the iffy chance that Cullen Jenkins comes back in free agency, the Packers will need to add depth, who is also a potential starter, at the defensive end position.

Bills2083
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Fantastic pick for the Bills.
I really hope thats how the first 3 picks fall, but I don't see Denver taking Gabbert

DiG
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
nice work on this. some great write ups. id be cool with the skins pick as long as you arent mocking trades. looking forward to seeing the rest of your mock.

T-RICH49
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
terrible KC pick.NT is a much larger need then OT.Phil Taylor should be the pick

prock
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I dig Locker.

leroyisgod
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
I like Quinn to the Cowboys at #9. I've toyed with putting him there in my mocks.

Babylon
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Pouncey would probably be a safe pick for Seattle although i think they probably will trade down unless a certain player is there.

I like your take on Locker. Most people are quick to spout off Locker's passing numbers but fail to mention his supporting cast as in number of drops and just an inability to get any seperation on a consistant basis.

wicket
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Saints pick is just terrible, why would the saints reach for a player that doesnt fit their system when they dont need a running back at all. No value, no fit and no need is not a good basis for a pick

SickwithIt1010
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Thats who I like seeing for the Iggles

Pat Sims 90
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Green is a solid pick.

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
terrible KC pick.NT is a much larger need then OT.Phil Taylor should be the pick

I'd love to see Taylor and KC team up. But the fact is that they have taken a defensive lineman in the first round in '08 and '09, and defense the past three drafts. Taking a solid tackle with their first pick is better long term for Cassel and Charles.

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Saints pick is just terrible, why would the saints reach for a player that doesnt fit their system when they dont need a running back at all. No value, no fit and no need is not a good basis for a pick

Didn't expect that. Leshoure is a first round running back. He is a fantastic overall runner and has proven to be able to carry the rock for a full season. A rotating backfield worked out for New Orleans a couple of years ago, but Drew Brees played out of his mind. With a legitimate #1 back, the defense will have to worry about Leshoure as well, opening up the offense.

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 03:58 PM
blaine gabbert? teh lulz. the qb talk is *all* smokescreen. period. the only way this coaching staff and front office take a qb is if they want to be fired within two years.

I agree with you about Newton>Gabbert and I think that Gabbert will bust and bust hard if not brought along slowly, but if Denver thinks he's a franchise guy then they have no choice. You never let a potential franchise QB slip past you unless you have one. Plus Elway will never he fired. He's a god in Denver.

wicket
04-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Didn't expect that. Leshoure is a first round running back. He is a fantastic overall runner and has proven to be able to carry the rock for a full season. A rotating backfield worked out for New Orleans a couple of years ago, but Drew Brees played out of his mind. With a legitimate #1 back, the defense will have to worry about Leshoure as well, opening up the offense.

well its pretty easy. First of all LeShoure is a borderline first round value back if at all. Even if you think he is a first roundr (which I dont) he isnt in the saints offense that doesnt use a workhorse.

You can pretty much use the explanation I have with me hating Ingram to the saints for LeShoure as well. He is a balanced back which is something the saints do not use under Payton. Either the saints do an obvious run, which require violent running backs which leshoure isnt or they are in a pass-first mode in which case you need a back that is better in screens and regular receiving than LeShoure. Also the saints passing game relies on the back stretching the field horizontally which LeShoure doesnt. So LeShoure doesnt help Brees, he would actually make his life more difficult. To boot the saints just dont have enough carries to go around, the saints run about 24 times a game on average with about 20 carries in close games and 35 or something in games with a good bit of garbage time. Of those 20 carries at least about 5 go to bush, 10 to Pierre Thomas and 5 to Ivory. It is really not useful to push in another back for a ton of value to take like 5 carries

On top of that the Saints have a pretty solid core of backs with Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Chris Ivory and Lynell Hamilton to go into the season with, they offer a nice combination of four different backs

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
tim tebow is that guy. at this point, the team can't afford to piss away a first round quarterback *and* use another pick on one. if they do, the team will still be picking in the top five, and will have either moved to LA, or will have fired the entire front office. there's a near zero chance that it happens. they're just jockeying for a trade down.

John Elway and John Fox really don't seem confident that Tebow is their guy. I disagree that it'd be the end of the Broncos if they picked Gabbert. They could very well pick up a solid DT like Pea in the second round and a corner like Curtis Brown in the third and they'd be fine. Plus with the battle in camp of Tebow vs. Gabbert a qb would have to emerge.

T-RICH49
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd love to see Taylor and KC team up. But the fact is that they have taken a defensive lineman in the first round in '08 and '09, and defense the past three drafts. Taking a solid tackle with their first pick is better long term for Cassel and Charles.

we have ZERO NT's.we can nab an OT in the 2nd - 3rd round.the NT class is not that deep

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
we have ZERO NT's.we can nab an OT in the 2nd - 3rd round.the NT class is not that deep

Why can't they grab a NT like Ellis or Powe in the third? Less money, both have starting potential, and you can protect Cassel.

J-Mike88
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
32. Green Bay Packers: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State- The likelihood of the Packers keeping this pick is slim. With so many teams jockeying up to pick up a quarterback at the end of the first, the Packers may be able to pick up an extra second or first round pick in next year’s draft. If not, Green Bay will HAVE to pick up a defensive end early and Heyward is the last 3-4 end available before a noticeable drop off. I’m not the biggest Cameron Heyward fan, but he provides great value at the end of the first round. He is a tough, blue collar defensive end with the ability to takeover games. With John Jolly’s legal troubles, Justin Harrell’s injury problems, and the iffy chance that Cullen Jenkins comes back in free agency, the Packers will need to add depth, who is also a potential starter, at the defensive end position.
Very well-farking-done & said.

I hope and think that Ted Thompson could absolutely bang a team who is desperate to trade up and get their QB before night falls and there's a 12+ hour wait til the draft picks up.

Ted has gotten the better of New England, big time, in 2 different draft-day trades. We're all aware of that. But he's never really put the screws to someone in terms of trade chart values. I hope he does this time for someone's high 2nd, and 2012 1st rounder. This team doesn't need many picks in this draft, but a #1 in 2012 would be sweet, especially if it's a team that tanks this season.

49erNation85
04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Gotta be a horrible pick for Denver man.Tebow will be the guy.Don't buy into the whole media crap.Elway will by into him in time.Plus Tebow is far more better QB then Gabbery by far!

ON a side note I love the sf pick!

DraftKidWonder
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Gotta be a horrible pick for Denver man.Tebow will be the guy.Don't buy into the whole media crap.Elway will by into him in time.Plus Tebow is far more better QB then Gabbery by far!

ON a side note I love the sf pick!

I agree with you on Tebow>Gabbert. But I don't agree that Elway will buy into him. I don't like Gabbert but I think Elway will pull the trigger. It might not be likely, but something always shocks us on draft day and with all the scouting Elway has put into QB's, I think he'll take his highest rated QB, which I believe will be Gabbert.

Seasonticketholder
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
The Saints would not take Leshoure there. It is not because they are not interested in a RB. As I have maintained throughout, if Ingram is there, he's likely the pick. But I have never got the feeling that Leshoure is high on their list. In this case, they would take Adrian Clayborn.