PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers on Todd McShay

mellojello
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Arod apparently doesn't think too much of McShay.

From his twitter, "Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to watch film with some of Espn's experts and hear them explain why teams play 2 slide behind...A storm blitz, and other fun conversations like that. Invitation is out there Todd Mcshay."

Analysis like this doesn't help McShay's street cred: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s

I'm pretty sure that besides McShay, Colin Cowheard and Mike Greenberg don't know what they are talking about either. I've always thought Petros Papadakis is on the money when evaluating Pac10 talent. Your thoughts on the best and worst announcers?

regoob2
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Can Rodgers just shut up already.

descendency
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
McShay's analysis there wasn't that bad. Yes, he was wrong about Aaron Rodgers, but Brohm has come in and played very well.

edit: this was last year...

Jmohr107
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Rodgers tweeted that last year. Not sure why you would bring it up now...

But I think that Mike Mayock is the best on-air draft expert. Most of what he says is spot-on.

PoopSandwich
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Can Rodgers just shut up already.

Why? Analysts are allowed to rip players apart and pretty much have no one to critique them besides other analysts and fans that don't get heard. Some of those "experts" sit there like they are some sort of gods and know more about the NFL than the people who are gms or players.

I remember Mort last year saying something along the lines of "What is going on in Cleveland? I could have gotten more than that for Brady Quinn, sign me up for the GM position."

I like Rodgers proposition, it may humble some of these morons.

General Zod
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that besides McShay, Colin Cowheard and Mike Greenberg

Im pretty sure that Mike Greenburg doesnt consider himself an expert analyst but more of just a radio personality.

mellojello
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure Rodgers tweeted that last year. Not sure why you would bring it up now...

But I think that Mike Mayock is the best on-air draft expert. Most of what he says is spot-on.

I just came across it now and I love it. I've always thought that guy is pretty awful and I'm hoping it can lead to a discussion of who's good, and who's not.

Halsey
04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
McShay does know what he's talking about. Many fans are just jealous that he does for a living what they do for fun. Back in the day Kiper was the guy people loved to hate. McShay has just taken his place. It's funny that fans question the credentials of guys like McShay, yet they are confident in their own opinions. If guys like McShay aren't qualified to give opinions on prospects, where does that leave you?

Saints-Tigers
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
McShay does know what he's talking about. Many fans are just jealous that he does for a living what they do for fun. Back in the day Kiper was the guy people loved to hate. McShay has just taken his place. It's funny that fans question the credentials of guys like McShay, yet they are confident in their own opinions. If guys like McShay aren't qualified to give opinions on prospects, where does that leave you?

Breaking in as a scout is much more about who you know, than what you know, like most NFL jobs.

FlyingElvis
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/movin%20pichurs/repost_colbert.gif

mellojello
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/movin%20pichurs/repost_colbert.gifDidn't realize it...my bad...

Matthew Jones
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
People like to diss Todd McShay, but what they don't realize is that he's one of the best draft analysts out there. In the world of draft analysts, it seems like reputation is more of a factor than actual accuracy. Number of picks correct in their final mocks last year (one round):

Todd McShay - 11
Mel Kiper - 10
Nolan Nawrocki - 10
Rick Gosselin - 8
Mike Mayock - 7
Walter Cherepinsky (WalterFootball) - 6
Pat Kirwan - 6
Scott Wright - 6

Source: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

keylime_5
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
eh, mock draft accuracy for Kiper and McShay is I'd say about 90% based on inside info they get from teams and 10% on intuition or having lucky educated guesses on picks. Look back at who guys say will be busts or successes (especially if they do it before everyone else) and if they go by opinion and not popular belief. This is why Mayock is such a better analyst than either Kiper or McShay. Kiper gets credit though for popularizing the draft and watching as much film as he does and knowing who all the players are, as he should. Does anyone think any team would actually hire Kiper or McShay to scout players for their team b/c I don't. Mayock is good enough to do NFL personnel work.

bucfan12
04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Its not number of picks correct on Mock Draft, it's the evaluations of players. I like Mike Mayock and he's the best one out there. McShay is definately better than that moron Mel Kiper, but Mayock makes them both look foolish.

Matthew Jones
04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Its not number of picks correct on Mock Draft, it's the evaluations of players. I like Mike Mayock and he's the best one out there. McShay is definately better than that moron Mel Kiper, but Mayock makes them both look foolish.

I would argue that McShay is pretty good there too...I remember last year he had Clausen as his #40 prospect or something, and Mel Kiper called him an idiot for it every day in TV.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I just dont like listening to McShay because of his success as a football player, for him to downgrade football players and all that **** annoys me because everyone knows he wasnt ****.

Halsey
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I just dont like listening to McShay because of his success as a football player, for him to downgrade football players and all that **** annoys me because everyone knows he wasnt ****.

Yeah, being a backup QB in college = not knowing how to evaluate players...

You can only learn to evaluate players if you're a star in the NFL. The knowledge magically enters your brain when you become an NFL star.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, being a backup QB in college = not knowing how to evaluate players...

You can only learn to evaluate players if you're a star in the NFL. The knowledge magically enters your brain when you become an NFL star.

Ok man, take it the way you want.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-26-2011, 11:49 PM
People like to diss Todd McShay, but what they don't realize is that he's one of the best draft analysts out there. In the world of draft analysts, it seems like reputation is more of a factor than actual accuracy. Number of picks correct in their final mocks last year (one round):

Todd McShay - 11
Mel Kiper - 10
Nolan Nawrocki - 10
Rick Gosselin - 8
Mike Mayock - 7
Pat Kirwan - 6
Scott Wright - 6

i dont really give guys much credit for mock results. it's just a matter of who has the best sources. joe lunardi is TERRIBLE but he always pimps his awesome "bracket results" because he gets the real bracket like 5 minutes before it goes live, then he goes in and edits his mock bracket

it's not really skill if you're getting the answer handed to you

i'll give him some props though. he's gotten better after being a joke the first couple years. calling clausen as a turd and saying gabbert was going to be a big draft name = ++ to his rep

04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
When McShay first brought up Blaine Gabberts name before this draft people had Gabbert rated as a third or fourth round guy and laughed at McShay. Now everyone says he should go in the top 5. McShay is IMO the best draft expert out there, becouse he is not a "follower" like for example Mel Kiper, who just says what other has said before him.

nepg
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Todd McShay - 11
Mel Kiper - 10
Nolan Nawrocki - 10
Rick Gosselin - 8
Mike Mayock - 7
Pat Kirwan - 6
Scott Wright - 6

Mock draft accuracy isn't the best way to judge a draft analyst. I'd rather be right about who's good and what kind of system a player fits into than go 32/32 on a mock draft. And, as has been said, they don't get those mock draft picks right for any reason other than they work for ESPN and have information fed to them from inside sources.

vidae
04-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Mock drafts don't mean a damn thing.. they're just something fun to look at before the actual draft happens. It's a decent way to open up debates but it definitely isn't a measure of how good an analyst is.

Splat
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
One trade can make or break any mock board.