PDA

View Full Version : What's Next For Steve Smith

Smash28Dash34
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I've read reports that he cleaned out his locker and his family suite at Bank of America Stadium. While I can't even imagine #89 in anything but Panther blue, I can understand why he wants out. This is a rebuilding team that is a couple years away from being relevant and he is reaching the back end of his career. While I would rather see him stay, if we had the oppurtunity to trade him to a contender I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think he could make a huge impact on a team that already has another established WR as well. If your a GM looking to make a move for a veteran WR like Smitty, what's the most you would give up for him? I've heard the Panthers want a 2nd, but would take a 3rd and nothing less.

bigbuc
04-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Tampa Bay Baby!!! Him and Williams and Benn... fogetaboutit!

Smash28Dash34
04-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Tampa Bay Baby!!! Him and Williams and Benn... fogetaboutit!

NOOO! lol. The last thing I want to happen is for him to land with another NFC South team. If it happened though, I guess I would just have to learn to accept it.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
If this is true I would expect the Ravens to go after him hard with the big need for a vertical threat to open things up underneath for Boldin

Smash28Dash34
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
If this is true I would expect the Ravens to go after him hard with the big need for a vertical threat to open things up underneath for Boldin

Can you imagine him and Ray on the same team?! What Ray does to get that Ravens D fired up, Smith could do for their offense.

bam bam
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
does he still have the speed?

regoob2
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay him $7+ mil.

proshoota25
04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
ive seen him linked with the patriots a few times. he'd be a great on the football field, not so much in the locker room. could be interesting though

Smash28Dash34
04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
ive seen him linked with the patriots a few times. he'd be a great on the football field, not so much in the locker room. could be interesting though

While it would be hard to see him go to the team that beat us in the superbowl, having Brady as his QB is something I would love to see. He won the Triple Crown in '05 with Delhomme at the helm. Can you imagine what his #s would be if he had a guy like Brady at QB is whole career?

bearsfan_51
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the OP is a little too homertastic on Smith. He'll be 32 this year, and hasn't had a 1000 yard season the last two years (last year with 554 yards and 2 touchdowns).

He might, might still be a #1 guy, but I think if he wants to move, he'll have to force the Panthers to cut him. On top of his salary, I can't imagine a team giving up much for a guy with that age, lack of recent production, attitude problems, and injury history.

boknows34
04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Did anyone else see Willie McGinest pick Smith as the #3 WR in the NFL behind Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald on NFLN a few days ago? He also had Hines Ward at #5.

Either Willie has taken too many blows to the head or he hasn't watched football since 2005.

Smash28Dash34
04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Did anyone else see Willie McGinest pick Smith as the #3 WR in the NFL behind Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald on NFLN a few days ago? He also had Hines Ward at #5.

Either Willie has taken too many blows to the head or he hasn't watched football since 2005.

Well I think what's to be interpreted there is that Smith is one of the best WRs he had ever played against. I think thats the reason he is so high on his list.

Monomach
04-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I've heard the Panthers want a 2nd, but would take a 3rd and nothing less.

Only an idiot would pay that. I'd give a mid-fourth if my team were a #2 wideout away from contending.

niel89
04-26-2011, 09:56 PM

I would be so down for Smith as long as he can still consistently go deep. Ravens need a speed WR bad.

Ness
04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I think the OP is a little too homertastic on Smith. He'll be 32 this year, and hasn't had a 1000 yard season the last two years (last year with 554 yards and 2 touchdowns).

He might, might still be a #1 guy, but I think if he wants to move, he'll have to force the Panthers to cut him. On top of his salary, I can't imagine a team giving up much for a guy with that age, lack of recent production, attitude problems, and injury history.

Well that is what happens when you play with terrible quarterbacks.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Smith shut it down Randy Moss-style when he was playing with Carr and Clausen. And, honestly, I can't blame him for that

He's not as good as he used to be but he's still damn good when he has a QB who will throw him the ball. His hands have betrayed him more than his speed the last couple years tbh

fenikz
04-27-2011, 05:13 AM
why has no one mentioned that yesterday was the 1st day he was allowed to go to his locker since the lockout, maybe he forgot some stuff :/

GoRavens
04-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Ravens will be smart and stay away from him.
He WAS really good, but he's clearly lost more than just his homerun speed.
Baltimore needs speed, you're right, but we need youth more than anything.
Edmond Gates or Torrey Smith will do just fine.

Pat Sims 90
04-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Ochocinco and Smith should go to the same team. Be teammates again like they were back in Junior College.

J-Mike88
04-27-2011, 06:59 AM
For a veteran team that's close to a SB right now, like the Ravens, Steve Smith is still a much better option than an untested, unknown rookie.
Eddie Gates and Torrey Smith? Odds are one of them will be a bust. It happens. It always happens.

Smith right now would do wonders for that Ravens offense. They went after Boldin and, oops, Houshmanzadeh. Why would they not want Smith? TJ sucks and couldn't outrun your grandma's.