PDA

View Full Version : Draft busts because of injury

lionsfan320
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
When we think of the all time busts, some of them were busts because of injuries, and not so much lack of talent and/or lack of work ethic..

Do you think some of those players could have been great if it weren't for those injuries?

some of the players I'm talking about would be:

Ki-Jana Carter
Reggie Brown
Steve Emtman
Charles Rogers (pre-pothead)

Just wanting to get your opinions on if these players (and any others you can think of like this) may have ever become great players had it not been for the injuries, since, you know, they didn't really flat out suck like other busts we all know and love.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
When we think of the all time busts, some of them were busts because of injuries, and not so much lack of talent and/or lack of work ethic..

Do you think some of those players could have been great if it weren't for those injuries?

some of the players I'm talking about would be:

Ki-Jana Carter
Reggie Brown
Steve Emtman
Charles Rogers (pre-pothead)

Just wanting to get your opinions on if these players (and any others you can think of like this) may have ever become great players had it not been for the injuries, since, you know, they didn't really flat out suck like other busts we all know and love.

Rogers was a pothead in college. It wasn't something he just picked up after year 3 as a Lion. Missing his first 2 years did hurt him greatly and that plus the pot got him way out of shape for 2005 season and training camp 2006 he was doomed. He lost his speed and never really had the desire to be a good player. It's no wonder nobody picked him up. Mike Williams is just lucky his ex college coach became an NFL coach and gave him one last chance and he finally got the message after failing for 3 other teams.

bucfan12
04-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Really wish Caddilac Williams never blew out both knees. He was such an explosive runner , especially during that 2005 season. Yet, Jon Gruden ran him 25-30 times a game, which eventually led to injury. Who knows what type of career he would have had if he had another back to split time with.

OzTitan
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Pacman Jones - mental injury.

Tom Servo
04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Courtney Brown coulda been a hell of a player.

PackerLegend
04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Not a super highly picked guy but... Terrence Murphy Packers WR they drafted in the 3rd round showed some flashes from what I remember. To bad he got drilled and messed up his neck because of dumbass Najeh Davenport. Najeh fumbled Terrence picked it up and right as he did got his head taken off.

Matthew Jones
04-27-2011, 06:49 PM
David Pollack is someone I thought was going to be a beast.

stephenson86
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Andy Katzenmoyer.

lionsfan320
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
what I'm getting at though, is if it weren't for the injuries, would we be talking about Andy Katzenmoyer, Ki-Jana Carter, David Pollack, etc. as some of the great players of the NFL, or do you think they still would have sucked anyway?

ie: what kind of a different NFL would it be right now, (or then) if there were none of these huge injuries to these players? Would your team not be in the bad (or good) situations that they are in now simply because of some freak injury?

Think about Ki-Jana.. He must have had some kind of skill to be drafted 1 overall, and then tears his ACL on his third (THIRD!!) ever carry in the preseason. How different of a situation would the Bengals be in if that hadn't happened. Nothing changes?

Same can be said for all of the other guys mentioned.. Katzenmoyer was an absolute beast. Reggie Brown for the Lions went ahead of Ray Lewis. Not saying he would be anything NEAR Ray, but hey, he might have been something special, but injured his spinal cord and his career was over.

CashmoneyDrew
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Pacman Jones - mental injury.

I think if you're born with it they call it a disability.

FUNBUNCHER
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM
IMO we'd be talking about Billy Sims as an alltime great NFL RB if he didn't have that knee injury in 1984, his 5th year in the league. 3x pro bowler and ROTY.

Pat Sims 90
04-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Ickey Woods would have been consider all time great RB if he did not blow out both his knees.

Greg Cook could have gone down as one of the greatest QB ever according to Bill Walsh and the Bengals would have won multiple Super bowls if he did not tear up his shoulder.

AntoinCD
04-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Wasn't a high draft choice and wasn't going to be an all time great but Shawn Crable is the biggest one in recent memory for the Patriots. His potential was huge but simply couldn't stay healthy and when he finally came into training camp without an injury he was out of shape

BlindSite
04-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Tishmanga Biabutaka had hurties everywhere all the time but he was hella talented.

Ryne Robinson solid returner, showed flashes as a receiver, went down with a knee and was never seen again.

Finsfan79
05-01-2011, 01:29 AM
ronnie brown is always injured

fischbowl
05-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Mike Mamula. He's a Buffalo local, so I have to love him despite not doing anything in Philly