PDA

View Full Version : 1st Rounder......

STsACE
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Been a long time since I did a mock and haven't had alot of time to do homework on one since I got a newborn in the house. I'm not up to date on all schemes and such for each team so some if not alot of fans won't like the picks. Can't help it. Figured it'd be fair since I reply to others mocks and give them the chance to reply on one of my own.

1) Carolina - Cameron Newton - QB - Being leaked that this is Carolina's pick. Makes sense since a new coaching staff doesn't have any ties to Clausen. If Newton doesn't go #1 here, PP or Dareus would be the most likely pick.

2) Denver - Patrick Peterson - CB - Yeah, they got Bailey, but he's getting older and this is something the fans could really get behind.

3) Buffalo - Blaine Gabbert - QB - Fitz did okay last year, but does anyone really seem him the long term answer? I also think they jump the gun on a QB this year as I believe they'll play their way out of the Luck sweepstakes for next year. Gabbert gets to sit the 1st year unless he beats Fitz out.

4) Cincinnatti - A.J. Green - WR - This is on assumption that they believe they can talk Palmer out of his retire or get traded statement by providing the bigger, better team player WR they lost when Housh left and TO wasn't able to provide, notice I said team player. This could be Mike's last season if he doesn't improve the team and I don't think he's willing to bet his future on reaching for a QB.

5) Arizona - Von Miller - OLB - Almost seems a perfect fit. They need production from their OLBs and Miller is the best of the bunch this year.

6) Cleveland - Marcell Dareus - DT - Yes, I'm a Browns fan and would love for Dareus to fall to us. Has about a 5% chance of happening, but so be it. Jones seems like too much of a reach at 6 and the top DEs have some major question marks.

7) San Francisco - Robert Quinn - DE/OLB - I know I said the top DEs have question marks. Harbaugh seems like the one coach who would be willing to take a chance here and risk no improvement to stay close to be in contention for Luck next year.

8) Tennessee - Jake Locker - QB - Probably the biggest reach we'll see this draft. Young's days our overs and they need a QB badly enough to reach for need here at this spot. Ultimately I see them trading back and picking up Locker later on.

9) Dallas - J.J. Watt - DE - Not the usual Dallas pick where risky players having a shot at landing here. But with Ryan as the new DC, he likes sound football guys and can get the most from them. It's not like this a reach either. I wanted to go with a NT so they could move Ratliff out to DE, but none seemed like a good enough value to reach for one.

10) Washington - Prince Amukamara - CB - This one is hard to guess. Shanny proved last year, he's not afraid to p*** people off by his decisions. They desperately need a QB, but I think he's willing to risk this season for the Luck sweepstakes.

11) Houston - Tyron Smith - OT - Most will hate this pick, but he's BPA at this point. I think they're more interested in pairing up some D-Line help with Super Mario, so I'm more inclined that they trade down here or reach for one of the better D prospects for their line.

12) Minnesota - Ryan Mallet - QB - Mallet has the arm and potential to be really good. Minny also needs a QB. Could also see Minny choosing Jones here if Rice leaves in FA (I believe he's restricted though, so it'd take a lot). Mallet's risky as I view him as Derek Anderson with a bit better potential and DA shouldn't even be in the league anymore.

13) Detroit - Jimmy Smith - CB - There's concerns about his maturity, but without them he's a top 15 talent.

14) St. Louis - Julio Jones - WR - Bradford needs a standout WR or some O-Line help. Jones is better value as no sure fire All-Pro lineman are in this years class.

15) Miami - Mark Ingram - RB - Phins were targeting Locker or Mallet at 15, but this isn't a bad option B. RB is more of a need than most Phins fans want to admit. Ingram can carry the load easing the pressure on Henne.

16) Jacksonville - Christian Ponder - QB - With last year's Alualu at #10 shocker, nothing would surprise anybody with this pick. They'll miss out on the 2nd round group of QBs and will always stay in mediocrity to pick out a Blue-Chip QB in the top 5

17) New England from Oakland - Aldon Smith - OLB - Going against the grain of the usual BB type pick here. Know of few Pat fans who still hate their OLBs and want a splash made to fill the void. Smith has extreme potential.

18) San Diego - Cameron Jordan - DE - Chargers need some production from their D-Line and Jordan is the top available for the 3-4 at this point

19) Giants - Anthony Costanzo - OT - Giants need someone to eventually take over at either Tackle spot or upgrade it.

20) Tampa Bay - Ryan Kerrigan - DE - Bucs came out of nowhere last year and look to add to it. Kerrigan should give an instant starter to put on their young D-Line and continue to grow.

21) Kansas City - Mike Pouncey - OG/C - With the success of Centers in the last couple of years picked in this area (Mack, Pouncey), the gamble continues with the brother of last years rookie Center who helped lead his team to the Super Bowl

22) Indianapolis - Gabe Carimi - OT - Each year, draftniks mock the top OTs or top DTs to Indy as they need the upgrade. Carimi makes better sense as the Franchise (Peyton) needs any type of protection they can get.

23) Philadelphia - Nate Solder - OT - Some O-Line help to protect Vick. If Reed really likes someone, he'll follow his usual M.O. and trade up to get him.

24) New Orleans - Akeem Ayers - OLB - Their D has not been the same since losing Fujita. Ayers could help fill that void and make them close to the same D that helped them win the SB 2 years ago.

25) Seattle - Corey Liuget - DT - I have no clue what Carrol has in mind and the top QB prospects are off the board. Liuget is too good of value at this point IMO.

26) Baltimore - Brandon Harris - CB - Makes too much sense. They've had some great success in picking up some Canes and CB is a huge need.

27) Atlanta - Brooks Reed - DE - I don't know if fans will like this pick, but Reed is good value here and they need something coming off the ends for a pass rush.

28) New England - Cameron Heyward - DE - Seems to be a consensus pick everywhere I look, so I'll stay with the flow. Unlike pick 17, this falls in line with more of a BB pick.

29) Chicago - Derrick Sherrod - OT - Cutler needs O-Line help, any kind. Best O-Line prospect still on board under the age of 27.

30) Jets - Phil Taylor - NT - Most will say this is a big reach. He's the highest rated 3-4 NT and the Jets need someone who will be there. Injuries have slowed them down from this spot the past 2 years and it's time to move on.

31) Steelers - Aaron Williams - DB - Steelers need CB help and Williams can also slide into a safety spot should Palumalu get hurt again as their D suffers hugely when that happens.

32) Packers - Justin Houston - OLB - With the recent reports about Houston failing a drug test, he slips into a nice spot right to a team that just so happens to need a playmaker opposite Clay Matthews. Was considering Watkins as they need O-Line help, but I can't see the return on investing a 1st rounder on a kid who's close to 27 years old.

Thoughts, criticism, rejoice away...........

DOLPHINATIC
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I really hope the Dolphins take Ingram if they don't trade down. If they go with a QB in the first I'll probably have to replace that moment in time with the Ted Ginn pick as the source for my draft day anxiety.

wicket
04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
yeah I really dislike ayers as a prospect (I dont see why he is more than a fourth rounder or something) so i dont like the pick at all but it makes sense positionwise

Hurricanes25
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I like Phil Taylor to the Jets.

Tom Servo
04-27-2011, 04:43 PM
HAHA. As a fellow Browns fan I say God bless you sir.

STsACE
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
HAHA. As a fellow Browns fan I say God bless you sir.

Figured I gotta give the Browns some love after seeing Green, PP, Quinn and Jones mocked to us all month.

T-RICH49
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
solid KC pick

Pat Sims 90
04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Wait so Arizona trades up one spot with Cincinnati or did u just get the order mixed up either way AJ Green is a solid pick.

Seasonticketholder
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Saints would take Adrian Clayborn in that spot or maybe even trade down.

STsACE
04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Wait so Arizona trades up one spot with Cincinnati or did u just get the order mixed up either way AJ Green is a solid pick.

Oops. Thanks.

Got it fixed.

STsACE
04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Saints would take Adrian Clayborn in that spot or maybe even trade down.

I thought about going D-Line there, but with report of Clayborn failing drug test and having other question marks, I dropped him out of the first round.

Houston is only prospect, who supposedly failed a drug test, that I kept in first as his question marks are less according to most. And considering he's projected more as a 3-4 OLB, I wouldn't think you'd want him.

Bowers is still available if you'd prefer him.

49erNation85
04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
solid sf draft.

JaxJag_1
04-27-2011, 08:45 PM
We are going to go QB, but it will be Dalton -- not Ponder

JaxJag_1
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Double Post

zachsaints52
04-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Just give the Saints a DE. Dont matter which of the 1st round talents.