PDA

View Full Version : Old CBA Rules Still in Effect w/ No Rookie Salary Cap

Diehard
04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
PFT Live just had the league spokesman on, and as it stands, the league year may start tomorrow unless the NFL can get the appeals court to give them a stay today.

Aiello said that teams would receive the rules outlining player transactions, etc, in the event the stay is not granted. Trades involving players would then theoretically be allowed during days 2 and 3 of the draft. FA signings could also take place. Of course, Aiello hedged a lot because the league is desperately hoping the appeals court will rule in their favor.

In short - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no stay is granted. Veteran trades + FA + rounds 2/3 of the draft all happening at the same time would make this weekend very, very interesting.

Ah, here's the update:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/28/nfl-teams-plan-to-open-facilities-friday-morning/

falloutboy14
04-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Hope they'll give teams a window where they can exclusively talk to their players. Every free agent hitting the market in the middle of the draft would be pandemonium.

Pat Sims 90
04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
This could end up having quiet a effect on the draft.

descendency
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
@Adam Schefter

Bottom line: No free-agent signings during draft, no player trades during draft, only pick trades during draft. Free agency could start Mon.

Iamcanadian
04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, apparently, the old CBA rules are in effect and there will be no rookie salary cap so trading out of the top 10 just became extremely difficult.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
If teams can, they'll wait until the rookie wage scale is put in before they try and sign the picks.

Iamcanadian
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
If teams can, they'll wait until the rookie wage scale is put in before they try and sign the picks.

The way I read it, it won't be in effect until after this season's signings are complete, so teams cannot wait to sign their rookies cheaper.

regoob2
04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
The way I read it, it won't be in effect until after this season's signings are complete, so teams cannot wait to sign their rookies cheaper.
Teams can wait as long as they want.

Iamcanadian
04-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Teams can wait as long as they want.

They can wait as long as they want but it won't change anything. They will be awarded a $ figure to sign their rookies by the league using the old rules.
I'm pretty sure if they refuse to sign their rookies using the money assigned to them, they won't be able to meet their legal obligation to the NFL and will be heavily fined and still have to pay out the same amounts next year to sign them, and/or it would be a clear sign to the courts that the draft is indeed a restraint of trade in the NFL and is breaking the anti-trust laws, something the league won't look to kindly at when the courts in turn rule the draft illegal.
Believe me, with so much at stake, no team will do anything to make them look even worse in the courts with so many suits pending. They are going to have a rough time as it is winning any of these cases never mind giving the union even more ammunition to present to the courts.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/temporary-stay-expected-espn-retracts-report-that-stay-was-granted/

Not sure yet if this is real news. But seriously **** this lockout.

descendency
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
LOL. Someone read and believed Michael Silver...

Can't Breathe... Please Help... Can't stop laughing.

Diehard
04-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Not sure yet if this is real news. But seriously **** this lockout.

No kidding. The league is just chomping at the bit to get the lockout back in place, despite the universal unpopularity of the move. Goodell's lucky he didn't get hit with something more than boos when he went on stage last night.

wogitalia
04-30-2011, 03:15 AM
So none of it matters because the lockout is now back on after the 8th Court granted a temporary stay which you have to believe would become more permanent next week when they decide based on the initial results.

killxswitch
05-09-2011, 10:21 AM
More bad news, NFL may "go out of business" if they lose the appeal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/08/rumors-fly-of-a-complete-nfl-shutdown/

Iamcanadian
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
it's getting harder and harder to justify not giving the NFL the same treatment i gave MLB after the last set of strikes (i.e. baseball hasn't gotten a single penny from 'me' [i don't go to games, watch games on tv, or support major sponsors] since the early 90's). moreso because there's a realistic alternative to the nfl.

I'm with you but baseball made the mistake of shutting down the World Series, I could handle short lockouts/strikes but if you shut down a season, I'm gone.

SolidGold
05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
If this lockout goes into July/August I hope a lot of fans decide to boycott the season and the product. Once the season starts is when the fans get to have their impact on this whole labor situation. For all the lip service from the NFL and the NFLPA saying they care about the fans, its true they both only care about the bottom line - money. We as fans control the bottom line so it would be nice to see both the players and owners hit by a sudden decline in popularity and money. Both sides have only themselves to blame.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
this is a very serious proposal by the ownership. the union decertified to try and continue playing football. the ownership is now offering complete shutdown to prevent playing football. seriously, both sides need to calm the **** down and figure out WTF they have to do to get a deal done. even though mediation had been mandated by the courts, a deal won't be brokered until the courts have finished their ruling and "picked a side". once that happens, said side will have a definite advantage in the negotiations. if the owners get it, then the players will have a cave on some if not all of their sticking points. if the players win, as they did in the 1st courts case, then the owners are talking about stopping football all together rather than caving on some of their sticking points.

i was to young (13) to really understand the MLB strike of '94. i wasn't really into baseball at all, either. once it was back, i never understood the viewpoint of some fans that refused to give them any of their money (tix, jersey, tv and so on). why wouldn't you want to support the game you love? now, i get it. i'm alot older (29) and i see why a fan could give up on a sport. because that sport gave up on them (and all their other fans) first. if the NFL misses significant time and games this year because of a football shutdown, i can guarantee that i won't be there to support them when they come back. greedy billionaire arguing over my dollar with greedy millionaires. **** THAT!!! come get my dollar *************! i won't be taken advantage of. my entertainment dollar, which is dwindling quickly with the price of gas and groceries and a refusal for above to get a raise in 3+ years, is better spent elsewhere. i hope more poeple are like me, Iamcanadian,njx and solid gold. don't be a sheep.

eKgPY1adc0A&feature=related

college football will always be there. kids playing it for a love of the game. reping the name on the front of the jersey. i do love the the college football experience when watching on tv or live in person. Big XII (former i guess. not sure what new name will be) country. GO MIZ-ZOU!

killxswitch
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I never thought I would move from NFL to college ball but njx makes a great point that college football is a much better option than anything baseball has to offer in place of MLB. If the 2011 season is cancelled, or if it is shortened and after the season they go back to fighting about money again, I will have to seriously consider just letting go of the NFL, at least until the current people in power die or get too old to be a factor. I love pro football but I won't be a sucker, my time and money are worth more to me than that.

SolidGold
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I have gotten a lot more into college football since I started becoming an amateur "draftnik". Like others have said it is a comparable product to the NFL and due to the sheer number of teams would be able to compete with the NFL.
There is pretty much a college game on every day of the week besides Sunday and Monday.

The MLB took years to recover from its strike back in 94, it needed the hype machine of the homerun chase to bring fans back and even than not all came back. The NFLPA and NFL have blinders on to think that fans would be stupid enough to come back in droves and support what they made the most popular sport in the country if their was a shortened season or no season. IMO both sides are taking the fans for granted and think they will just show up once this is all over with.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
that's pretty much what did it. i have no idea why i forgave hockey so quickly or at all, but i've never forgiven baseball. if the nfl cancels this season, it's likely that, with college football playing the alternative, i'll not watch another nfl game for an extremely long time.

It is prob because the NHL really was ******. They had some MAJOR issues that they needed to deal with in order to save the league.

PackerLegend
05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
**** **** ****!! **** the owners and Rodger piece of **** Goodell you stupid ****ing ****. If they resort to that then thats just so effed up it isnt even funny.

Rabscuttle
05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
And these guys think the public is going to trust them to build new stadiums for them in the future..... This could be a death blow to the Niners stadium deal.

Oh well. I've survived without baseball and rarely watch hockey other than the World Junior Championships and the odd Olympic game. I watch more college than pro football and could give up supporting it to pick up another hobby easily enough.

A bunch of billionaires who for the most part had their fortunes and/or teams given to them acting like entitled brats who won't engage in honest discourse with the people that make them their money aren't really deserving more of my measly after tax wage anyhow.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
when given a chance to end these rumors, Goodell dodged the question like a champ. clearly leaving open the possibility of shutting the league down if they lose another court battle.

don't give me the "it's leverage" crap. yes it is and so was using replacement players and they have said that isn't a possibility. it's more than just leverage. it is a very real and distinct possibility if/when the court ruling is handed down.

this is really depressing as a football fan. i don't want to see it get to that point. losing fans isn't the answer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/goodell-on-the-possibility-of-a-complete-shutdown/

descendency
05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
There is no way the NFL will be allowed to close it's doors, even if the NFL tries. The players will be able to sue them for all kinds of things if they close their doors for good.