PDA

View Full Version : Mock 3.0 Final

Menardo75
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
1. Carolina – QB Cam Newton (jr) Auburn*
Carolina had a disastrous year this year and have very many holes to fill. QB is one very glaring weakness on this roster. The keys were handed over to Matt Moore this year after a promising end to the 09 season. Moore was not able to accomplish much with it, and 2nd round pick Jimmy Clausen didn’t do much more with it. Clausen in many people’s eyes including mine just does not have the look of an NFL quarterback which bumps that to the number one priority. I do not agree with Newton going number one overall as many people including me have serious questions about his character. All the signs are pointing to him being the pick for Carolina however. Newton does bring to the table terrific athleticism and a big arm to work with. He may have the biggest upside of any QB in this draft, but he may also have the most work to do.

2. Denver – DT Marcell Dareus (jr) Alabama
Denvers defensive situation is a mess. Looking at the talent on their roster though moving back to the 4-3 is a very wise move, and we know that John Fox is going to get the best out of the hand he is dealt defensively. There have not been very supportive reviews coming out of the Broncos organization for Tim Tebow, but I have a hard time seeing the Broncos go QB with him and Kyle Orton still on the roster. I think the Broncos go defense with perhaps the top defensive lineman (which is saying something this year) in Marcell Dareus. Dareus is versatile can play the 3 technique and even showed the ability to line up at end and get after the QB. I don’t see the Broncos going defensive end here with Elivs Dumerville a proven pass rusher already on the roster. Hopefully former first round pick Robert Ayers will be able to flash his ability being moved back to his natural defensive end position.

3. Buffalo – OLB Von Miller Texas A&M
Buffalo needs big time help on defense after switching schemes. Mainly a top flight pass rusher or an impact player period in that front seven. I don’t see them going QB here since I think they are very content with Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. Also Chan Gailey has proven he can get lots of production out of QBs that aren’t marquee names. The offensive line needs major improvement but there are not any top flight offensive lineman rated this high this year. Miller is an elite talent that can get after the QB and give that Buffalo defense a huge shot in the arm.

4. Cincinnati – A.J. Green WR (jr) Georgia **

The Bengals in 2009 swept their division and then went on to an embarrassing season last year. Things got even worse when Carson Palmer their franchise QB asked for a trade and vowed to never play in a Bengals uniform again. That along with Terrell Owens most likely not coming back, and Chad Ochocinco saying his time is probably up leaves a lot of glaring holes on offense. I have had the Bengals going QB here for a very long time, but I am starting to believe they are going to go a different route with A.J. Green. Green will give whomever the QB is in Cincinnati a number one target.

5. Arizona – Patrick Peterson CB (jr) LSU **

The Cardinals have really fallen apart after the retirement of Kurt Warner. That to go along with an aging defense responsible for a lot of their demise in the 2010 season. Blaine Gabbert falls into their laps at this pick, but they are very happy about the future of John Skelton and Max Hall. If Arizona does what I have been saying for years in this off-season which is go and get Marc Bulger and re-create the success you have had with Kurt Warner a QB can wait, and that is finally what it sounds like they are going to do. Peterson is one of the consensus top players in the draft and a true number one corner. I have had him falling to seven but I have a hard time imagining someone as good as him will last that long.

6. Cleveland – Julio Jones WR Alabama (jr) **
I have had The Browns going defense here for a long time, but with that being the strength of this draft class I think they will decide to wait and get Colt McCoy a number one target to throw to. If I was them I would be pulling the trigger on Blaine Gabbert, but I am not a Colt McCoy believer. Jones is a tough football player with the ability to make the big play at any time and will help this offense very much.

7. San Francisco – Robert Quinn OLB UNC (Jr)**

In this situation I believe the 49ers would trade out with both Peterson and Von Miller off the board. I don’t think they will take Blaine Gabbert even if he is available. I think the 49ers are looking to add a signal caller in the second round perhaps a Colin Kaepernick and let him sit behind Alex Smith for a year. The 49ers have been trying to find an impact pass rusher for a very long time and have had no luck. Robert Quinn is explosive off the edge and would be a great fit as that 3-4 weakside linebacker.

8. Tennessee – Nick Fairley (Jr) DT Auburn
The Titans are also in the market for a QB and Blaine Gabbert has fallen into their laps. I really don’t think he will make it this far though with the rumors of the Redskins really wanting him. The Titans roster wise might be in some of the best shape of all of the teams picking this early. The defensive line is not necessarily the biggest position of need for the Titans, but Nick Fairley is a premier defensive talent that the Titans cannot pass up. The fact that Fairley’s former defensive line coach at Auburn is now at the same position in Tennessee that makes this pick even more attractive.

9. Dallas – Cameron Jordan DE California*
Dallas really needs to address the offensive line but I really don’t see Jerry Jones taking a non flashy pick in the first round. Either way I don’t see an offensive tackle worthy of a top ten pick this year. With Marcus Spears becoming a free agent that leaves a big hole at defensive end. Jordan is an outstanding overall prospect with very few holes in his game. Jordan is very highly coveted by people in NFL circles, and let’s not forgot his team mate Tyson Alualu’s sudden rise on draft day last year. At the end of the day I really think that Dallas is going to trade out but if they stick this would be a great pick.

10. Washington – Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri (jr)**
Washington might be the only team with more holes to fill than the Carolina Panthers. It has become clear that the Donovan McNabb era has come to an abrupt end in Washington, and seriously doubt they are counting on Rex Grossman as the long term answer, at least I hope not for their sake. They need help on the offensive line, an OLB, corner, and on the D line. I think the Redskins will be the team that ends up with Gabbert even if it’s not at pick ten it could be earlier if they can trade up. Gabbert is an excellent fit in Washington and will be their QB of the future.

11. Houston – Aldon Smith (Jr) OLB Missouri
I believe the biggest acquisition of the off season so far has been the addition of Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator in Houston. It is a statistical fact the Peyton Manning struggles against 3-4 defenses so why the three teams that have to see him twice a year are not running that system is beyond me. Wade is one of the best DCs in the NFL, but Houston needs major help to run a effective one. The 3-4 really requires two pieces a NT and a OLB that can get after the QB, and Aldon Smith might be just what the doctor ordered. Smith is a highly athletic OLB with great pass rush moves that would be a good step in building this 3-4 defense. Prince Amukamara would be very attractive here, but I don’t see Houston taking a corner back to back years in the first round.

12. Minnesota – Jake Locker QB Washington*
And now we have our first monumental leap up the draft boards. New Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has hammered home the point that QB is the number one priority this off season. I don’t see them going defensive end early with the contract they gave Brian Robison. Locker last year was projected to go ahead of Sam Bradford let’s not forget that. The Vikings are rumored to covet him and why not he has all of the physical tools to be an elite QB, and will become one if he improves his accuracy from within the pocket. This is a big risk but let’s face it when is taking QB early not one?

13. Detroit – Jimmy Smith CB Colorado (jr)**
The Lions have done a very nice job rebuilding that football team, but still have some major pieces to add. You could argue that Louis Delmas is the only player in the secondary that should be starting a full 16 game season in the NFL. Smith has risen rapidly up the draft boards this off-season, and many believe that short of Patrick Peterson has the best physical measurable of any corner in this draft. Smith will give them that shut down corner they have really been searching for. Don’t rule out offensive tackle either if the Lions decide they actually want to help Matt Stafford survive an NFL season.

14. St. Louis – Cory Luiget DT (JR) Illinois **

The Rams are trying to find a way to grab Julio Jones but he will be long gone before this pick. Spags loves to hang his hat on great defense and in particular great play up front, and the Rams can get to that with Luiget. Luiget is a quick penetrating three technique defensive tackle that should really give a boost to the Rams defensive line.

15. Miami – Mike Pouncy OG Florida
Mark Ingram seems to be the consensus pick here, and running back is a huge need for Miami, but Ingram really is not a very good fit for the Dolphins offensive system so I think they will looks elsewhere. The Dolphins offensive line was ravaged by injuries last year, but even when healthy they need an upgrade inside. Pouncy can be an impact starter on the offensive line right away and help turn this unit into a premier unit in the NFL. Some people feel he might be better than his brother and his brother was pretty good for the Steelers last year.

16. Jacksonville – J.J. Watt (JR) DE Wisconsin*
The Jags have recognized their need for a defensive end for some time now and the fact they haven’t addressed it isn’t for lack of trying. Derrick Harvey was a huge bust, and Aaron Kampman can’t stay healthy. Watt is a potential top ten selection with a great motor and is very solid against the run and getting after the QB, and in my opinion would be a huge steal here.

17. New England(F/OAK) – Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue *

I have had the Patriots taking Tyron Smith here for quite some time and it could still happen, but Ryan Kerrigan to me just seems like a natural fit for the Patriots. I see him easily making the transition to the 3-4 outside linebacker position, and giving the Patriots a bookend of young outside linebackers.

18. San Diego – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
I really want to give the Chargers an OLB, but I think they will give Larry English one last chance to prove his worth. Defensive end is another area of need though for the Chargers. With Greg Manusky coming in to run the defense the backside defensive end in his scheme lines up as more of a traditional defensive end, and is essentially turned loose. This would be a great fit for Adrian Clayborn. Clayborn was considered a sure fire top ten pick last year, but after an injury plagued senior season his stock has fallen. I believe though that he would really flourish in this situation.

19.New York Giants – Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
The Giants once dominate offensive line is starting to fade away with age and somebody needs to be brought in to upgrade. Castonzo may never be an elite LT but he will never hurt you being in the lineup and should be just fine protecting Eli Manning. The Giants could also use interior offensive line help, and help in the front seven on defense, but with Castonzo on the board I doubt they will pass on him.

20. Tampa Bay – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska **
You have to give the Bucs credit they might have put together some terrific draft classes the last couple years, but they need to keep it up to turn this team into one of the elites. Defensive end looked to be a lock at this pick for a very long time, and still may be, but with the trouble Aqib Talib has gotten into this off-season and reports he will be released when the league year begins has to bump corner to their top need. Amukamara I believe is a shut down corner that can start as a rookie and take over for Ronde Barber.

21. Kansas City – Justin Houston DE/OLB Georgia(jr)*
Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi could easily be the pick here since offensive tackle is an area of need, but the Chief’s could wait and get a RT later in the draft. I have had Phil Taylor at this spot for a long time, but due to the recent medical reports that have come out he may fall a little bit on draft day. An OLB opposite Tamba Hali however is just as big of a need. Houston gets the nod over Ryan Kerrigan just because I feel Houston is a better fit on the strong side. Houston would be a welcomed addition however to the chief’s defense.

22. Indianapolis – Tyron Smith OT USC (jr) *

I have had this pick pegged as Nate Solder for quite some time now, but the more I think about it the Colts really want somebody that can contribute from day one, and Solder is not that guy. Smith can start right away and could make an immediate impact.

23. Philadelphia – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
The Eagles could use an upgrade a corner and Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris could be very attractive picks. Michael Vick however is your franchise now and you need to protect him. Vick took a beating last year and they have a big need at offensive tackle. Carimi is an ideal fit at right tackle, and you know Howard Mudd is going to get every ounce of his potential out of him.

24. New Orleans – Da’Quan Bowers DE Clemson (Jr)**
The Saints need a good defensive end opposite Will Smith. Bowers was once upon a time thought to be the first pick in the draft but concerns about his knee have caused his stock to fall greatly. At the end of the day the Saints will take whoever the top rated player on their board is and if Bowers fell to them I have no doubt he would be the guy.

25. Seattle – Andy Dalton QB TCU

I don't think Seattle is going to take him but I am predicting a trade, and this is where he goes just don't know to whom.

26. Baltimore – Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh (JR)**
The Ravens would really like to add a corner here, but all of the first round corners are off the board. Depending on the future of Sergio Kindle an OLB could also be a possibility, but why not add a big target for Joe Flacco to help him reach the next level of his game.

27. Atlanta – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame (Jr)**
The Falcons burst onto the scene last year winning 14 games, and the embarrassed at home by the packers. A WR to complement Roddy White is a possibility, but with all the Tony Gonzales retirement talk the reality of having to find someone to replace him becomes more real Rudolph is a terrific all around TE, and has a good chance to reach his full potential being groomed behind one of the best of all time.

28. New England – Nate Solder OT Colorado **
With their last pick the Patriots secured an OLB, and here they find the long term replacement for Matt Light.

29. Chicago – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi *
The Bears offensive line was horrendous last year, and some bodies need to be added up front, and Sherrod would be a very nice addition. Don’t rule out defensive tackle either since Tommie Harris will not be back with the team.

30. New York Jets – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
With Kris Jenkins gone the Jets need a NT, but they could add one later. FS could be upgraded with either Aaron Williams or Rahim Moore, but they really need a weakside rusher with Jason Taylor getting the axe. Brooks Reed has is a relentless pass rusher who could complement Calvin Pace quite nicely.

31. Pittsburgh – Aaron Williams (jr) CB/FS Texas
Ryan Clark is getting up there in years and the entire corner corps got victimized in the super bowl. Williams is exactly the type of player that the Steelers look for with his aggressive play.

32. Green Bay – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State **
The Packers made a historic run to the Super Bowl, but with that being said they have some big needs to fill. One of the holes is at defensive end where Cullen Jenkins Might not be back and Johnny Jolly is in trouble with the law again. Heyward would be a great fit as the 5 technique in Green Bays defense. Don’t rule out offensive line here as well.

wicket
04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
quality saints pick

roscoesdad27
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Baldwins a reach there, give us Cameron Heyward