PDA

View Full Version : Draft Weekend Discussion

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Here we go...

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
I was totally thinking of starting this too ... nice work!

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I was totally thinking of starting this too ... nice work!

I was waiting for someone to throw up a thread so I could sticky it. I have a feeling we won't be picking at 13.

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
feeling earlier or later? Who is the target?

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
feeling earlier or later? Who is the target?

No idea, lol.

Silver & Blue
04-28-2011, 07:05 PM
That was quick. Not a surprise.

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Good luck with that "icon" Carolina.

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Denver taking Von Miller? Wow, can't believe that.

Silver & Blue
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Well it was either Miller or Peterson for Denver. Pretty good pickup by Denver.

Silver & Blue
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
This is where it should get more interesting on who teams are going to pick.

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Trade up to get Peterson!

Silver & Blue
04-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Trade up to get Peterson!

I wish we would.

EDIT: Dang it.

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow Aldon Smith to SF. Curve ball a bit ...

A Locker to Tenn, that helps.

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 07:55 PM
some interesting people still on the board, Fairley, Amukamara, Quinn.... so glad Dallas took Tyron.. :)

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
some interesting people still on the board, Fairley, Amukamara, Quinn.... so glad Dallas took Tyron.. :)

There are going to be some really good players on the board. This is where Mayhew makes his money.

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
in Mayhew we trust... glad he is making this pick... just hope that the Prince goes past Houston

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Watt!!!!!!!! to Houston

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
wow JJ Watt to Houston, real surprise to me there... Lions got some great choices left.

Xiomera
04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Lions have much better options than I could have ever imagined.

Still want Prince.

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Schefter says Lions trying hard to trade down. Apparently Minny was doing the same. Maybe the Lions aren't high on Prince?

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
OMG... they couldn't trade down some and still got Ponder?

SuperPacker
04-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Im happy for you guys we are gonna have fun sacking Ponder next season!!

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 08:25 PM
WOW ... Fairley.

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Our defensive line is going to be insane. I think Fairley's pissed he fell so far. He already has a nasty side to him and he's going to come in to the league motivated.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm Fairley certain Prince would have been a better pick but my goodness we are going to kill people. Try and run on us.

noondog
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I wonder if we'll play him at DE?

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
love this pick, our D-Line is going to be scary good if KVB comes back healthy...

anyone think Mayhew will try to move back in to the top of the first now?

georgiafan
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
btw i mentioned farley here this morning :)

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
The longer Prince stays on the board the better I feel about passing on him.

noondog
04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
love this pick, our D-Line is going to be scary good if KVB comes back healthy...

anyone think Mayhew will try to move back in to the top of the first now?

I would poop my pants if we got back into the first and grabbed Prince. POOP I say,

Lions-Slappy
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
who goes first now, Prince or Smith. really surprised Prince has not been grabbed yet.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Love the pick. Rly wanted Prince but the more I think about it its a perfect pick. All Schwartz does is rush 4 and now he's going to be able to do that all day. Suh and fairly are going to do damage to QB's and noone is going to be able to run on us. The other thing to remember is Schwartz moves guys around a lot and I would expect to see these guys all over the place. Teams had a hard enough time keeping track of Suh and KVB last year, imagine now where they have to keep track of Suh KVB and Fairly

cotts1
04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Agreed, fantastic pick. Didn't think he would make it to us. Tremendous value, easily was BP on the board.

cotts1
04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm hoping for Ras-I Dowling in round 2.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm hoping for Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith, or Bruce Carter

If we don't take a CB i really hope Mayhew has a plan

Xiomera
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't hate it. I might even love it. For now, I'm glad we got good value.

cotts1
04-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Yea that would be sweet, I doubt Harris and Smith fall that far. Carter or Dowling is cool with me. I think the Lions will aggressively pursue Stephen Tulloch in FA though so I'm thinkin CB in round 2.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Only reason I question it is because I though Hill had a future but it looks like he's going to see very minimal snaps with Suh fairly and williams

eeth
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
If we play Fairley at DE Hill still might be in the rotation

Xiomera
04-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Only reason I question it is because I though Hill had a future but it looks like he's going to see very minimal snaps with Suh fairly and williams

That was my concern too.

Lions should just employ a 6-1 defensive scheme. Let Levy play OLB (only linebacker). Problem solved.

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I just never thought Fairley would be there so it is still processing that he is a Lion. Obviously Mayhew had him the BPA on his board.

Still blown away that Detroit had Fairley, Quinn, Amukamara & Bowers to select from @ 13!!

Thinking Dline now ... 1 thru 9 in Detroit >> Suh, Fairley, KVB, Williams, Avril, LowJack, Hill, McBride, Young ... is there a better rotation in the league? Fairley & Suh can both moonlight at DE even ... I love the "options". Cutler is toast!!

I believe Mayhew now when he says he does not draft for the opening day roster, that he drafts for the franchises future. Williams is 31 this year, Suh, Fairley & Hill are the future.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm interested to see how it turns out. Regardless we have 2 dominating DT's that should make everyone's life behind them much much easier

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
just throwing it out there but move up and take bowers? That would pretty much cap off a dangerous dangerous dline and would probably make cutler and rodgers cry immediatly

Xiomera
04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
just throwing it out there but move up and take bowers? That would pretty much cap off a dangerous dangerous dline and would probably make cutler and rodgers cry immediatly

Overkill. Bowers is slipping this far for a reason. Bad, bad knees.

Wait it out and take CB or OLB

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Wow, that would be sweet.

With that front push, it would make Chris Houston & Alphonso Smith tolerable as the CB's for sure.

I think Bowers will make teams pay. Watch a Super Bowl contender like GB, Pitt or NY take him & look out.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Overkill. Bowers is slipping this far for a reason. Bad, bad knees.

Wait it out and take CB or OLB

Half joking haha

Would you take Jimmy Smith if he's there? With the questionable character for Fairley I'm just not sure we would take another guy with the character label

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Wow, that would be sweet.

With that front push, it would make Chris Houston & Alphonso Smith tolerable as the CB's for sure.

I think Bowers will make teams pay. Watch a Super Bowl contender like GB, Pitt or NY take him & look out.

My fear is that Chicago or GB will take him

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 09:59 PM
My fear is that Chicago or GB will take him

Chicago & GB (especially Chicago) better take a G!!

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I sitting next to a chicago fan and he is saying they want DT if camiri is gone

SINCE1978
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
James Carpenter taken before Carimi or Sherrod?? Wow Seattle, probably could have waited until mid 2nd if they loved him.

I bet Akeem Ayers, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams (maybe goners?) then Mason Foster, Bruce Carter, Ras-i Dowling are Detroit's targets @ 44.
Thoughts?

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
yeah hoping for Ayers, Carter, or Harris

lets fill a need now

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
This kind of scares me

http://i.imgur.com/0YQeE.jpg

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
why?

I think putting him with Suh and KVB is a good position for him and his character issues. Im hoping Suh will get the best out of him

noondog
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Aaron Williams and Mason Foster for sure. Either would be amazing imo. Carter too if his knee is ok.

I still can't believe that we'll be lining up Suh and Fairley together for the next however many years. Lolzzzz....so so sick.

Scotty D
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
why?

I think putting him with Suh and KVB is a good position for him and his character issues. Im hoping Suh will get the best out of him

That is a good point. Schwartz is a defensive guy as well who won't take any laziness. Working out everyday with KVB and Suh will do wonders for him.

Aaron Williams and Mason Foster for sure. Either would be amazing imo. Carter too if his knee is ok.

I still can't believe that we'll be lining up Suh and Fairley together for the next however many years. Lolzzzz....so so sick.

I really like both of those guys. I also wouldn't mind Ayers if he's still around.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I wonder if this will make us a legitimate contender for some FA's now as well. With Baltimore drafting smith I hope asamougha (sp?) is out of their plans because if we can actually sign him and then get either Carter or Ayers our defense should be looking like a top 10 defense

noondog
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I wonder if this will make us a legitimate contender for some FA's now as well. With Baltimore drafting smith I hope asamougha (sp?) is out of their plans because if we can actually sign him and then get either Carter or Ayers our defense should be looking like a top 10 defense

If we got Carter or Ayers (or Foster) AND Asamougha, our defense will be top 10 in a down year. I can't even allow myself to think like this right now...too juicy.

detroit4life
04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
So i hate to start the speculation because i don't think he will be there when we draft but I did just read that our doctors cleared Bowers knee when he came in. I have to say if he is there and our docs cleared his knee we have to take him. Yeah we have huge needs on our team but he's BPA just like Fairley and I'm not sure you can pass up another top 5 talent for a need. (once again stressing the assumption that our doctors cleared him)

eeth
04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
If he was cleared I'm sure he'll be gone by then, but if not it might be overkill for d line. On the other hand our d line would never get tired.

Xiomera
04-28-2011, 11:34 PM
So i hate to start the speculation because i don't think he will be there when we draft but I did just read that our doctors cleared Bowers knee when he came in. I have to say if he is there and our docs cleared his knee we have to take him. Yeah we have huge needs on our team but he's BPA just like Fairley and I'm not sure you can pass up another top 5 talent for a need. (once again stressing the assumption that our doctors cleared him)

Smokescreen. Who cares whether our fictitious doctors said he was cleared. That's vague and ambiguous. I'm very skeptical now that he's fallen to Day 2.

Iamcanadian
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Wow, how good does it get! Fairley cannot even be double teamed with Suh beside him and they both have nice mean streaks as well.
We are seeing a very tough minded defense being built with real impact players. Now if we can only find a replacement for Backus before his game slides backwards with age before Stafford gets killed, we could really have something going on here.

WMD
04-29-2011, 01:32 AM
I enjoy the Fairley pick.. I would've loved to fix our hole at CB but you don't often get a chance to put together a duo like Suh and Fairley.

detroit4life
04-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Wow, how good does it get! Fairley cannot even be double teamed with Suh beside him and they both have nice mean streaks as well.
We are seeing a very tough minded defense being built with real impact players. Now if we can only find a replacement for Backus before his game slides backwards with age before Stafford gets killed, we could really have something going on here.

I agree I think LT is definitly going ot have to be addressed ASAP and hopefully this offseason via trade. I dont see us doing it in round 2 though because I think we will have the option between Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Bruce Carter, or Akeem Ayers (doubt he's there though). Assuming Dalton and Mallet will go in the first 10 picks of the second I would be shocked if one of these guys aren't there when we are up

villagewarrior
04-29-2011, 03:31 AM
So I'm starting to become a closet Lions fan after these last two drafts by Detroit. If Fairley can play like he did his last year at Auburn that defensive line is going to be sick. I love the way the new regime is building that team.

noondog
04-29-2011, 03:50 AM
I just watched a replay of the NFL network's draft coverage with the Lions pick Fairley and it made me so excited all over again. The commentators (especially Michael Irvin) were giggling like little school girls talking about the Suh-Fairley combo. Even the fans at the draft were cheering loud when it went down. Tell me that DE's won't be licking their chops at the thought of coming to Detroit and playing beside those two manimals now.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 05:35 AM
I just watched a replay of the NFL network's draft coverage with the Lions pick Fairley and it made me so excited all over again. The commentators (especially Michael Irvin) were giggling like little school girls talking about the Suh-Fairley combo. Even the fans at the draft were cheering loud when it went down. Tell me that DE's won't be licking their chops at the thought of coming to Detroit and playing beside those two manimals now.

CB's or LB's as well! Tullich or Asoumugha could finish off their careers strong in Detroit with a wall like that in front of them. I agree on the FA's looking our teams way.

If Bowers is there @ 44 take him. I bet Ayers,Houston,Harris are gone but Foster, Dowling & Carter could be had. Today is going to rock!

I would say this about sums up our needs:
The team definitely needs a pair of starting cornerbacks, two outside linebackers, multiple upgrades along the offensive line, a third wide receiver capable of catching more than a cold, a power running back to complement tenderfoot rookie Jahvid Best and help on the edge rushing the opposing quarterback.
And, for good measure, safety Louis Delmas needs more help at the back of the secondary.

Silver & Blue
04-29-2011, 05:47 AM
CB's or LB's as well! Tullich or Asoumugha could finish off their careers strong in Detroit with a wall like that in front of them. I agree on the FA's looking our teams way.

If Bowers is there @ 44 take him. I bet Ayers,Houston,Harris are gone but Foster, Dowling & Carter could be had. Today is going to rock!

I would say this about sums up our needs:
The team definitely needs a pair of starting cornerbacks, two outside linebackers, multiple upgrades along the offensive line, a third wide receiver capable of catching more than a cold, a power running back to complement tenderfoot rookie Jahvid Best and help on the edge rushing the opposing quarterback.
And, for good measure, safety Louis Delmas needs more help at the back of the secondary.

If Bowers knee actually checks out then that would be nuts if he fell to us. I would like to get Carter, A. Williams, or Leshoure in the 2nd and maybe someone like Robert Sands later on to help Delmas.

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2011, 06:09 AM
I want Matt Millen back, i dont like it when rivals have good drafts :( At least now we have the Vikings to make fun of

Newbs24
04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Love the pick. Fairley will have no choice but work hard around KVB and Suh.

Seeing Prince drop to 19 made me feel even better. That much of a difference between him and PP when "experts" said it was close, shows me it wasnt.

SuperPacker
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Green Bay fan here.

I am very happy for you guys and it was one of my favourite picks of the draft. We and are going to have fun next season killing chrisian ponder. as for your 2nd round i think you should go bowers if hes still there. IMA i would be scared of thatnext season :D

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
I want Matt Millen back, i dont like it when rivals have good drafts :( At least now we have the Vikings to make fun of

Green Bay fan here.

I am very happy for you guys and it was one of my favourite picks of the draft. We and are going to have fun next season killing chrisian ponder. as for your 2nd round i think you should go bowers if hes still there. IMA i would be scared of thatnext season :D

Thanks ... almost all the feedback has been positive. It's strange b/c Fairely was like #1 (or top 5) on most Feb mocks so I just blocked out that it was possible he could be in the honolulu blue & silver ... it is still registering that he was their @ 13 & he is now a Lion. We went all Summer talking about Amukamara & Jimmy Smith. Akeem Ayers & Costanzo,T. Smith, Solder ... but this guy fell into our laps!

Quite frankly since Schwartz & Mayhew took the reigns we no longer feel like the whipping posts of the NFC (NFL?)

It should be an excellent battle with the olineman being taken by both Chicago & GB the last couple of drafts (Williams & Carimi) (Long, Bualga, Sherrod) vs. Fairely, Suh, KVB, Corey Williams, Hill, Avril, Jackson etc. It's going to be fun & hopefully more competitive assuming Matt Stafford stays healthy.

Pretty confident there will be an OLB or CB in the BPA range at 44. Bruce Carter? Aarom Williams? Ras-i Dowling? Maybe Akeem Ayers slips ... Our crew liked Mason Foster as well. That's my 2 cents.

Lions-Slappy
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
after sleeping on this pick I like it even more, all the talk I have seen this morning on ESPN has been very positive (not used to this as a Lions fan)

excited to see what happens today, there are still some very good players that fill needs for us, I am very interested to see where Bowers goes and I have to admit the thought of the Lions drafting him is intriguing and if he can stay healthy we would have one of the most dominant d-lines in the league.

but, I think he will be gone before us, if not then his Knee is wrecked. so we have to go CB/LB, Would be thrilled with a Fairley/Ayers round 1 & 2

tblain1
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
yeah hoping for Ayers, Carter, or Harris

lets fill a need now

Yeah I like any of those three. If they are gone, maybe Marcus Gilbert or Orlando Franklin.

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Like most, I am really hoping for Ras I Dowling, Ayers, Carter, Aaron Williams, or BPA Oline. However, what about the safety from UCLA? Would we pull the trigger? Does he fit what we want to do? Or is Speivey gonna stay at safety? Just curious.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Like most, I am really hoping for Ras I Dowling, Ayers, Carter, Aaron Williams, or BPA Oline. However, what about the safety from UCLA? Would we pull the trigger? Does he fit what we want to do? Or is Speivey gonna stay at safety? Just curious.

I think Spievey stays and we also signed that Coleman safety from Atlanta before the lockout.

My order would be Carter,Ayers,Dowling,Aaron Williams, BPA Oline, Mikel Leshoure.

I've heard the Lions are high on LeShoure and if some of those guys above are gone I wouldn't be suprised for us to take LeShoure in Round 2. We need the 1-2 punch with Kevin Smith not being tendered/injuries and Morris not really the answer and only year left on his deal. I know another RB isn't a high need over CB/OLB/future Olinemen but its a possiblity if BPA.

SuperPacker
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Just wondering what is gonna happen to Corey Williams? Cant see him taking snaps from Suh or Fairley. IMO you should trade Williams for a 2nd Rounder next year!

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Just wondering what is gonna happen to Corey Williams? Cant see him taking snaps from Suh or Fairley. IMO you should trade Williams for a 2nd Rounder next year!

Corey Williams will play alot. I see a rotation with him and Fairley this season. It takes most DTs not named Suh some time so we'll develop Fairley but still give him and Corey lots of playing time. Corey is signed for 2011 and 2012 so we could trade him next offseason but I think they'll stick with rotation giving Fairley more and more snaps as he gets better. Keeps the DTS fresh plus Sammie Lee Hill is good for run downs. Down the line Fairley and Suh should be a nasty starting DT combo though. We may see Suh at some DE in certain situations too. Going to be interesting and fun to watch.

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I think Spievey stays and we also signed that Coleman safety from Atlanta before the lockout.

My order would be Carter,Ayers,Dowling,Aaron Williams, BPA Oline, Mikel Leshoure.

I've heard the Lions are high on LeShoure and if some of those guys above are gone I wouldn't be suprised for us to take LeShoure in Round 2. We need the 1-2 punch with Kevin Smith not being tendered/injuries and Morris not really the answer and only year left on his deal. I know another RB isn't a high need over CB/OLB/future Olinemen but its a possiblity if BPA.

Coleman is a guy who is a average/solid starter. He didn't really lose his job in atlanta he just got hurt and former 2nd round pick William Moore took over and keep on making plays. He isn't gonna make a lot of plays, but he is a good vet who make a good amount of tackles.

Also the HB FA market is very good and they could sign someone like Ronnie Brown, Bradshaw, Dwill

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Coleman is a guy who is a average/solid starter. He didn't really lose his job in atlanta he just got hurt and former 2nd round pick William Moore took over and keep on making plays. He isn't gonna make a lot of plays, but he is a good vet who make a good amount of tackles.

Also the HB FA market is very good and they could sign someone like Ronnie Brown, Bradshaw, Dwill

Good to know. Updgrade over one armed CC Brown and will give Spievey some competition. Solid depth at safety at least.

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Good to know. Updgrade over one armed CC Brown and will give Spievey some competition. Solid depth at safety at least.

If i'm yall i'm planning on letting Spievey and Coleman battle it out for the other S spot for this year. Unless someone like the CB/S from Texas drops to the 2nd round and the lions have a high grade on him. Also the only reason he was cut was more of a salary issue. At worst you get a guy who gives you vetern leadership who can battle with Spievy for the starting job. From memory he may have even lead the falcons in tackles his first year starting.

Xiomera
04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I want Ras-I Dowling in Rd. 2 for sure

SRogers92
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
My Round 2 list:

1) Bruce Carter
2) Akeem Ayers
3) Brandon Harris
4) Aaron Williams
5) Ras-I Dowling

None of this matters if our medical team checks out Bowers and doesn't think his injury will be a chronic issue, we MUST get him.

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
1.) Ras I Dowling
1.) Ras I Dowling
1.) Ras I Dowling

2.) Aaron Williams
3.) Brandon Harris
4.) Bruce Carter
5.) Akeem Ayers

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

I realistically like Bruce Carter or Ras-i Dowling with #44. I know both are coming off injuries but Dowlings was not serious & Carter is squating with weights & running almost at full speed, based on an article I read about him earlier this week. Aaron Williams would be solid too but every Texas game I kept seeing Curtis Brown making plays & kind of like him a little better.

Heck no to LeShoure!!! Here is why ... Even if they have him as BPA can Mayhew go DT/RB (2010) & DT/RB (2011) back to back years? No way.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I realistically like Bruce Carter or Ras-i Dowling with #44. I know both are coming off injuries but Dowlings was not serious & Carter is squating with weights & running almost at full speed, based on an article I read about him earlier this week. Aaron Williams would be solid too but every Texas game I kept seeing Curtis Brown making plays & kind of like him a little better.

Heck no to LeShoure!!! Here is why ... Even if they have him as BPA can Mayhew go DT/RB (2010) & DT/RB (2011) back to back years? No way.

I agree it would be crazy but possible if LeShoure is BPA and Mayhew sticks to that and feels another RB would help. Luckily I think Carter and Dowling will be there so LeShoure won't be the BPA unlike at 13 where Fairley was the BPA. Quinn was close and Prince was next and a need but we 2 DTs start and its nice to have a rotation and develop Fairley.

If LeShoure is BPA it could happen though. As I said you start two DTs so Suh and Fairley are the future at DT and its a two back league. Morris is not the future and only has 1 year left and LeShoure would be a perfect workhorse to Best. Best isn't getting 250 carries a year. Not likely but not impossible.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree it would be crazy but possible if LeShoure is BPA and Mayhew sticks to that and feels another RB would help. Luckily I think Carter and Dowling will be there so LeShoure won't be the BPA unlike at 13 where Fairley was the BPA. Quinn was close and Prince was next and a need but we 2 DTs start and its nice to have a rotation and develop Fairley.

If LeShoure is BPA it could happen though. As I said you start two DTs so Suh and Fairley are the future at DT and its a two back league. Morris is not the future and only has 1 year left and LeShoure would be a perfect workhorse to Best. Best isn't getting 250 carries a year. Not likely but not impossible.

I do not doubt Detroit takes a RB, I say wait until Saturday though.

Delone Carter, Steven Ridley, Allen Bradford (my fav), Roy Helu, Alex Green, Evan Royster all could be the 2, of the 1-2 punch & grabbed in round 4 of 5. I just don't weight RB's as high if I am putting a team together. Careers are so short & a guy like Arien Foster or James Starks can kick ass for me as undrafted & 6th round picks! Detroit has their flash, 1st round, game breaker, in Best. He just needs a compliment & any of those I listed above would be sweet & cheap & able to contribute in 2011 on the Lions.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I do not doubt Detroit takes a RB, I say wait until Saturday though.

Delone Carter, Steven Ridley, Allen Bradford (my fav), Roy Helu, Alex Green, Evan Royster all could be the 2, of the 1-2 punch & grabbed in round 4 of 5. I just don't weight RB's as high if I am putting a team together. Careers are so short & a guy like Arien Foster or James Starks can kick ass for me as undrafted & 6th round picks! Detroit has their flash, 1st round, game breaker, in Best. He just needs a compliment & any of those I listed above would be sweet & cheap & able to contribute in 2011 on the Lions.

I like Delone Carter and Ridley myself. However, when you point out guys like Foster and Pierre Thomas etc, yes there are success stories but there are so so so many UDFA and late Round Rbs that failed for a team or weren't talented enough to even get a chance to be one of the two main RBs. They are diamonds in the rough. Round 1/2 RBs have about a 40% success rate when I look at the draft history, UDFAS plus late rounders success rate is way way less given how many fail to the few who have had success. If Mayhew can find a diamond in the rough in this draft thats great and I'll be glad we used the Round 2 pick elsewhere. If we can't, it's up to Morris(who is a Round 2 pick for Seattle by the way). So far the one he tried Aaron Brown isn't part of a 1-2 punch and Felton is a mediocre FB and not what we expected in short yardage. Go back and try again though as this draft there are some players we both like Carter,Ridley,Bradford, Royster in the 7th(I'm a Penn Stater). But if we take LeShoure, who I like as a prospect I will be a little more confident we have a good 1-2 combo for RBs. Hopefully we aren't passing up good talents like Dowling and Carter though.

Prowler
04-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I think we are all pretty decently in agreement this year. Another thing we can all agree on: Please don't draft Kyle Rudolph as BPA in Round 2!

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm hoping for Ayers, Brandon Harris, Martez Wilson, Orlando Franklin, Ijalana or Stefan Wisnewski.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Dowling and Aaron Williams gone. That didn't take long

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
looks like the run of QB's has started so thats a postive. The CB from Miami is still there so thats about it at CB.

detroit4life
04-29-2011, 05:30 PM
but ayers and carter are still there too

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Damn Ayers then Carter gone

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I really don't want Leshoure. Someone take him before we pick.

eeth
04-29-2011, 05:50 PM
A Clemson D lineman taken but not Bowers, I would not want to be Bowers right now.

detroit4life
04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Well its dowm to Harris

eeth
04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Titus Young

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Titus Young...not sure how I feel about it yet.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Well we got our deep threat opposite Calvin. Go ahead and shade to Calvins side now. Goodbye Bryant Johnson

Calvin,Titus,Burleson,Pettigrew,Best. Arsenal.

Back 7 come on Round 3,4 and free agency

FTRWRTR
04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Young is good but why did you guys take him over torrey smith and leonard hankerston? They're much bigger and still run in the 4.45 range.

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
It's another solid choice as he is your slot WR and return man and a type of guy the team needed. Remember you can never give a young QB enough offense weapons.

WMD
04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I like Titus quite a bit, he's a good fella.. He'll be our Punt Returner with Stefan Logan at KR, and he'll be a sexy slot for us. I like it.

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Just think of a power HB is signed in FA like Brown or D. Williams the offense will be eve better thats with a healthy stafford.

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Smile...Love it.

I love our front offices new draft strategy, only draft legit PLAYMAKERS in the first couple rounds... fill needs later. Although I really had my heart set on Ras I Dowling. God I hate the Patriots.

eeth
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Trade up, who could it be?

eeth
04-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Leshoure! comments?

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
1-2 punch there it is. If we gave up the 3rd and 4th that stinks.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 07:11 PM
What did they give up to get back into the 2nd?

Looks like Bobby Carpenter & Ashlee Palmer are our OLB's .... that is what I think about 2 offensive players.

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Oh boy we did.

I am mixed about this one. But I love that our front office goes for the kill shot in these drafts. We picked up three very legit playmakers, now we need to fill via free agency. Come on down Carlos Rogers, Jonathan Joseph, Jonathan Beason.

eeth
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
We gave up 3rd and 4th and swapped places in 5th and 7th I believe

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Ouch. If they can keep Chris Houston, he & Alphonso Smith will be okay @ CB's but I am concerned about the middle of the defense.

Titus & Mikel are sweet additions, don't get me wrong, but Fairley/Suh are going to be dropping into coverage b/c Ashlee Palmer is our starting OLB as of now. (emotional post!?!)

FTRWRTR
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Man, you guys have learned how to draft. Schwartz was one heck of a hire.

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
what was the final draft trade details?

IwannatalktoSampson
04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
umm are you guys all blind? Why does Mayhew continue to ignore our needs? Why would you draft a WR that high? We have 3 legit receivers (Pettigrew, Scheffler, Burleson) and 1 all star (obviously CJ). Who the **** is playing linebacker for us? Who the **** is playing corner for us? NF was a good pick but seriously Mayhew..what the **** man?

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
So the only picks we have left are Seattle's 5th and 7th?

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
I like the players that came from the picks don't get me wrong, but giving up 2 picks is brutal!! These 2nd rounders are guys who are the #2 (Lashoure) & #3 (Young) options @ their positions. ie they don't touch the ball a whole bunch?
I think we still have a 5th? Maybe Lawrence Wilson, OLB UCONN will be there?

One knock on Mayhew I have (one) is he was a former NFL CB that simply does not draft CB's! Brandon Harris was there.

FTRWRTR
umm are you guys all blind? Why does Mayhew continue to ignore our needs? Why would you draft a WR that high? We have 3 legit receivers (Pettigrew, Scheffler, Burleson) and 1 all star (obviously CJ). Who the **** is playing linebacker for us? Who the **** is playing corner for us? NF was a good pick but seriously Mayhew..what the **** man?

They're going BPA, nothing wrong with that, it's early...they'll fill the team's needs.

georgiafan
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6445186

Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det): Acquire picks No. 57, No. 157 and No. 209 in 2011

Seattle Seahawks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sea): Acquire picks No. 75, No. 107, No. 154 and No. 205 in 2011

IwannatalktoSampson
04-29-2011, 07:30 PM
So the only picks we have left are Seattle's 5th and 7th?

yup..smh

yay for alphonso smith being our starter and getting torched again for 3 tds by a good QB. YAYYYY

Yay for Ashlee Palmer and Bobby Carpenter being our linebackers.

YAYYYYYY

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, we added bona fide stars (potentially). I would rather go for the gusto and add a gamebreaker like Titus and Mikel then add a mid-card type guy like Speivey (Ugh). I kinda like this strategy in a way. Move up and add legit gamebreaking playmakers that cause match up problems all over the field.

Taken with a positive attitude. These picks make me feel that Swartz and crew know something we don't know when it comes to our LBs and CBs. In other words, they feel like we are fine with what we have and our confident that the players we have right now (Carpenter, Palmer, Houston, Smith) will be able to get the job done. For the first time in my life, I sit back and have confidence that our front office knows what it is doing.

IwannatalktoSampson
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
They're going BPA, nothing wrong with that, it's early...they'll fill the team's needs.

with a 5th and 7th round pick? Doubt it..thats where you find special teams players...Welp here goes another 6-10 year. Yeah great we have a good d-line..the rest of that defense is pitiful. Pathetic...Our offense wasnt even a problem last year. We had a 3rd stringer in there putting up 20 plus points against the dolphins. We need linebackers and corners. Starters. Brandon Harris is sitting right there. Dudes legit. ****** mayhew

georgiafan
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
i like the trade the more I see it basically you trade a 4th rounder to move up to get a potential starter at HB and a guy who can rush for 1,000 now.

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I think they really like Aaron Berry as well. In my opinion Mayhew has earned some benefit of the doubt. People hate on Carpenter because of his past but he made some big plays at the end of the year and was racking up tackles. If Suh and Avril take steps forward with Fairley creating some havoc it is going to make the job easier for the LBs and CBs. Alphonso needs to keep improving. Hopefully they retain Houston. Delmas will be fully healthy and hopefully regain his rookie year form. They were never going to pick a LT or OG. They love Peterman and Fox but I understand why we wanted them to take OL.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Per Scott Wright's "rankings" we got value with these 3 players
(quality vs quanity)

Fairley (#2) DT
Young (#5) WR
Leshoure (#2) RB

I just pray Stafford is not the "china doll" Follett declared him to be, b/c he has the weapons now. No excuses.

Ugh, our back 7 still scares me. Bobby Carpenter please live up to your potential as a Lion. Alphonso Smith you too. Oh & Chris Houston stick around the D b/c Nathan Vasher is not a starter.

Asomugha? Tulloch? FA targets (if it happens) will be intersting in the D!

GO LIONS ...

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 07:47 PM
i like the trade the more I see it basically you trade a 4th rounder to move up to get a potential starter at HB and a guy who can rush for 1,000 now.

I agree. I know we need to fill needs but it is hard to say a 3rd or 4th round corner/oline is going to be more of an immediate impace over Smith, Houston, Raiola (hate him), Backus. Titus Young and Mikel Leshoure, in my opinion, give us a better chance to win NEXT season than a 3rd round corner (in a weak class) or a C/G. How does everyone else feel?

IwannatalktoSampson
04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Per Scott Wright's "rankings" we got value with these 3 players
(quality vs quanity)

Fairley (#2) DT
Young (#5) WR
Leshoure (#2) RB

I just pray Stafford is not the "china doll" Follett declared him to be, b/c he has the weapons now. No excuses.

Ugh, our back 7 still scares me. Bobby Carpenter please live up to your potential as a Lion. Alphonso Smith you too. Oh & Chris Houston stick around the D b/c Nathan Vasher is not a starter.

Asomugha? Tulloch? FA targets (if it happens) will be intersting in the D!

GO LIONS ...

Asomugha will NOT sign with the Lions. Tulloch apparently has been "tweeting" and raving about how good our d-line is going to be. I think(and hope to God) we sign him because this linebacker core as of right now is the worst in the NFL. Hell, our back 7 is probably the worst in the NFL right now. SO...better do something. This is supposed to be a playoff year. Cant make the playoffs with Palmer - Levy - Carpenter as the linebackers...

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree. I know we need to fill needs but it is hard to say a 3rd or 4th round corner/oline is going to be more of an immediate impace over Smith, Houston, Raiola (hate him), Backus. Titus Young and Mikel Leshoure, in my opinion, give us a better chance to win NEXT season than a 3rd round corner (in a weak class) or a C/G. How does everyone else feel?

I was pretty high on Brandon Harris @ 44 & think a guy like Cecil Shorts or Edmund Gates would have been as good as a #3 option as a guy like Young .., those guys were more like 3rd/4th rounders. Mason Foster in the 3rd was my lock & I would have liked (hypothetically)
(44) B. Harris CB - likely starter
(75) M. Foster OLB - starter
(4th) Cecil Shorts WR - #3/#4 option
(5th) Allen Bradford RB- #2 to Best

We still get a #3 WR & a #2 RB & an OLB & CB that would compete for starts.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Asomugha will NOT sign with the Lions. Tulloch apparently has been "tweeting" and raving about how good our d-line is going to be.

Not sure why he does not want to stay a Raider actually? that D is pretty solid.
Stephen Tulloch PLEASE come to the D!!

IwannatalktoSampson
04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Not sure why he does not want to stay a Raider actually? that D is pretty solid.
Stephen Tulloch PLEASE come to the D!!

Didn't Tulloch play for Schwartz in Tennessee?

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Yes........

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
(Pro Titus Young statistic)
The Lions ranked 26th last year in average per pass attempt.

(Pro Mikel Leshoure characteristics)
Tough, physical runner who excels between the tackles
Soft hands and a reliable pass catcher out of backfield
Good awareness and does terrific job in pass protection

I really like the talent level of these 2 guys, plus Fairley ... I just wish there was a few more picks to play with that's all.

lionsfan320
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
remember though, fellas, the Lions needed -

a burner for a slot receiver.. check
A thumper RB to compliment the speedy best - check
and how can you be mad at Fairley? KVB will keep his ass in check, if not him then Suh.

I have faith in Mayhew - I think he has demonstrated time and time again that he doesn't reach for need. He does his homework. I wouldn't have liked Rahim Moore at safety, but I think I would have liked Brandon Harris. I'm definitely not upset with the picks though.. The addition of Fairley just made our back seven better by default since they will be playing behind one of the best D-Lines in football.

also, there will eventually be free agency.

Xiomera
04-29-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't mind the picks. I just hope we can sign a quality free agent OLB and CB.

eeth
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Here's to hope, I have faith it will be done.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Just throwing it out there, b/c everyone is saying our Dline is hands down the best in the league (they are sweet) but Tampa Bay is (on paper) a loaded, young & super talented defensive line too. Raheem Moore knows what he is doing: Price, McCoy, Clayborn, Bowers, Okam, Miller etc

No real relevancy, but there are some contenders in the league to our nasty new Dline ... & I like Clayborn Bowers & now Mason Foster for them this draft. TB's D is going to be sweet.

eeth
04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Two D lineman and a LB, they will have a good D especially if Bowers plays this season.

boknows34
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Once FA opens I hope Schwartz and Mayhew are sitting waiting outside his house like they did with KVB last year. The Falcons OLB Stephen Nicholas could be another name to watch out for. He was quoted in Feb indicating an interest in the Lions and an Atlanta newspaper last week said the Lions were set to back a bid.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4398/stephen-nicholas

Xiomera
04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Sign Jonathan Joseph to play CB.

Linebackers seem to be less important in Schwartz/Gunther's defense. We can definitely get by with Palmer or Carpenter starting.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Here is something to ponder ... & I understand free agency is still up in the air guys.

Green Bay is the top team in the division (league) right? So with Jermichael Finley coming back healthy @ TE, Palmer/Carpenter do not win that match-up battle. With Jennings/Driver/Nelson/( now Cobb)/Jones I don't really like any of our current CB's winning those match-ups either. Aaron Berry on Jordy Nelson? Nathan Vasher on Randall Cobb? Ugh. I know we get a push with the beasts up front, but with Rodgers tossing the pig skin I still worry about the talent in the back 7. Mason Foster & Brandon Harris could have helped. We could get solid WR/RB's in alter rounds. A 5th round LB is a back-up & special teamer at this point.

lionsfan320
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
plus who was it that we signed right before the lockout started.. a db I believe.. the name escapes me.

eeth
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Good point. I have a feeling we are still going to go BPA whether that means filling certain needs or not. It could be the case of the rich get richer if we draft RB, WR, or DL.

lionsfan320
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
also, we could still conceivably pick up Greg Jones and Chykie Brown with the picks we have left.. not really likely, but if so, I would have to call that Lions draft a success.

FTRWRTR
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
with a 5th and 7th round pick? Doubt it..thats where you find special teams players...Welp here goes another 6-10 year. Yeah great we have a good d-line..the rest of that defense is pitiful. Pathetic...Our offense wasnt even a problem last year. We had a 3rd stringer in there putting up 20 plus points against the dolphins. We need linebackers and corners. Starters. Brandon Harris is sitting right there. Dudes legit. ****** mayhewDude, there are guys who are in the HOF who went undrafted. You can definitely get talent in the later rounds. If you want to go all chicken little and think the sky is falling, that's your business, but IMO you guys are having a heck of a draft.

Scotty D
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
also, we could still conceivably pick up Greg Jones and Chykie Brown with the picks we have left.. not really likely, but if so, I would have to call that Lions draft a success.

Maybe Chris Carter or Herzlich will be around in the 5th.

plus who was it that we signed right before the lockout started.. a db I believe.. the name escapes me.

Erik Coleman, S - from the Falcons. Could easily start at safety over Spievey.

SINCE1978
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Good point. I have a feeling we are still going to go BPA whether that means filling certain needs or not. It could be the case of the rich get richer if we draft RB, WR, or DL.

It's pretty clear Mayhew had a strategy of drafting top talent into Detroit's existing strengths. Dline, RB (arguably w/ Best) & WR (including TE's) are positional strengths & a play maker was added to each.

In an exploitation league, weaknesses are harder to hide. Especially with savy QB's like Rodgers & Cutler at least 2x a season. I say that b/c the back 7 is average & top draft choices have yet to spent there by this regime.

I still don't get why Mayhew (former CB) does not draft CB's. It's more than an irony, there is something up with that. Spievy is a S so that does not really count.

I bet Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse is the 5th rd target. He was brought into Allen Park & is pretty underrated. I just read a comparison of him to former 'Cuse LB Keith Bullock ... not too shabby. Just watching the Wings game thinking of players that might have a chance to crack the line up. Casey Mathews anyone? :o)

Iamcanadian
04-29-2011, 11:46 PM
The CB class in this year's draft was very, very thin so Mayhew didn't target one. He's counting on an improved pass rush to relieve a lot of the pressure on our DB's.
He probably decided that a FA CB will have more potential than drafting a mediocre CB with little ceiling and a low floor. According to Mayock the LB class is even worse.
He gave Stafford more weapons and reduced any threat of injuries to 2 areas. I see nothing wrong with this decision. I like that he didn't reach to fill holes with mediocre draft picks. He stuck to his board and took the best players available.
I'm much more concerned about our aging OL which will have to be replaced soon. I guess they took the risk that it is OK for one more season and I hope they are right.
Matt Millen left a complete mess when he departed, and it is going to take time to fill every hole, you cannot solve everything overnight.

Iamcanadian
04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
I was pretty high on Brandon Harris @ 44 & think a guy like Cecil Shorts or Edmund Gates would have been as good as a #3 option as a guy like Young .., those guys were more like 3rd/4th rounders. Mason Foster in the 3rd was my lock & I would have liked (hypothetically)
(44) B. Harris CB - likely starter
(75) M. Foster OLB - starter
(4th) Cecil Shorts WR - #3/#4 option
(5th) Allen Bradford RB- #2 to Best

We still get a #3 WR & a #2 RB & an OLB & CB that would compete for starts.

The CB class was terrible in this draft and the LB class is even worse. These are 2 of the weakest areas and finding starters after round 1 would have been very difficult.
As I mentioned a # of times, Branden Harris is way overrated by draftniks and only has nickle ability. He isn't starter quality and Foster is even worse.
We will have to look to FA to fill these position needs because the draft won't do it.

Scotty D
04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Just look at our current single back formation right now. Burleson and Calvin on the outside. Titus in the slot. Pettigrew at TE and Best in the backfield. Rotate in Scheffler and give Leshoure some carries. That has the potential to be deadly. If Best plays like he was pre turf toes and Stafford stays healthy this offense can be one of the best in the league.

TheDoctor8
04-30-2011, 12:46 AM
I like the players that came from the picks don't get me wrong, but giving up 2 picks is brutal!! These 2nd rounders are guys who are the #2 (Lashoure) & #3 (Young) options @ their positions. ie they don't touch the ball a whole bunch?
I think we still have a 5th? Maybe Lawrence Wilson, OLB UCONN will be there?

One knock on Mayhew I have (one) is he was a former NFL CB that simply does not draft CB's! Brandon Harris was there.

Dude!! We technically gave up ONE pick. Our 3rd rounder became a 2nd rounder at the cost of a 4th round pick.

WMD
04-30-2011, 01:00 AM
I'll miss most of Day 3 tomorrow.. Hopefully the BPA when we pick is someone at Guard, DB, or LB. Maybe we can pick up Jalil Brown or Colin McCarthy. That is all.

DrunkenLament
04-30-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm loving the position Mayhew is putting us in as soon as free agency opens, whenever that is. Any corner would be absolutely crazy not to consider Detroit as a legitimate option. With our defensive line forcing quick throws (if all goes as planned) we can make okay corners look good and good corners look great.

I also get excited thinking of the Lions throwing out Suh, Williams, Hill, Fairley on 3rd and short, or even better our goal line defense basically forcing teams to try to throw it at the goal line.

Iamcanadian
04-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Just look at our current single back formation right now. Burleson and Calvin on the outside. Titus in the slot. Pettigrew at TE and Best in the backfield. Rotate in Scheffler and give Leshoure some carries. That has the potential to be deadly. If Best plays like he was pre turf toes and Stafford stays healthy this offense can be one of the best in the league.

I totally agree as long as the OL stays healthy.

noondog
04-30-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm loving the position Mayhew is putting us in as soon as free agency opens, whenever that is. Any corner would be absolutely crazy not to consider Detroit as a legitimate option. With our defensive line forcing quick throws (if all goes as planned) we can make okay corners look good and good corners look great.

I also get excited thinking of the Lions throwing out Suh, Williams, Hill, Fairley on 3rd and short, or even better our goal line defense basically forcing teams to try to throw it at the goal line.

^ this ^

It seems our pessimism isn't easy to be rid of. Please find Sampson.

Let's recap: Somehow Fairley fell to us AT 13. Beastly manimalicious beast mode everywhere. As LL would say, destruction terror and mayhem.

Titus Young. I fail to see how adding arguably the best route runner in the draft will hurt us when he can be Wes Welker 2.0. Don't know about the rest of you, but I likes me some first downs.

Mikel Leshoure. Rashard Mendenhall 2.0. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong.

So we didn't address our biggest weaknesses yet. Big deal. We maxed out on value and got the best players available. We now boast a CRAZY stable of young studs on offense and have a D-line that will be enticing to any D FA. Tulloch is as good as a Lion already, and I'd be amazed if we don't sign one of the top 3 or 4 CB's.

So let's assume those two things happen and where do we find ourselves? Exactly.

What an amazing time to be a Lions fan.

In Mayhew we trust.

Brothgar
04-30-2011, 06:48 AM
This kind of scares me

http://i.imgur.com/0YQeE.jpg

Yes I'm very concerned about anyone who wears socks with sandals.

Prowler
04-30-2011, 07:06 AM
We're going to have to teach Stafford how to slide and read blitz's better, but we're almost set on offense. Titus reminds me of a young and underfed Ochocinco. I'm also liking the Mendenhall comparison for Leshoure. We can hang in and close out any game on offense...even if its Shaun Hill leading us. We have one impressively talented offense.

My hope for the rest of the draft is for either Greg Jones, Jalil Brown, Brandon Burton, Herzlich, Lee Ziemba, or Marcus Cannon to still be there in the 5th. 7th Round can be anything left, probably oline.

Brothgar
04-30-2011, 07:08 AM
It may be possible to get Mark Herzlich and Marcus Cannon with our last two picks also we could trade a next year's pick to take Jalil Brown in the 4th. There is still great tallent available and instant starters at OG, CB, and LB. Let us add that there are a ton of FA CBs to look at here. Florence, Joesph, Nnamdi, etc.

Prowler
04-30-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm actually starting to really, really like the Titus and Leshoure picks. Carter and Ayers went before out pick and the rest of the LBers might have trouble beating out Follett, Carpenter, and Palmer. I'm leaning A grade. Fairley was probably number 2 on Mayhew's board behind Patrick Peterson. The others add needs with good value.

Titus is definitely entertaining and will endear himself to fans the second they hear him talk. Leshoure helps close games and insures we have a productive backfield if Best suffers another lingering injury. If our offense wasn't solidified with these two picks then would Mason Foster/Bryant Johnson have won more games than Titus/Carpenter/Palmer? No, especially if they are locked out and won't have time to gel as a defense. Titus can at least chill with Stafford and run routes, but I doubt Foster would have been able to spend time with the entire defense and go over game situations/scrimmages with them.

SINCE1978
04-30-2011, 08:00 AM
I trust Mayhew, I am excited about the picks they seemed to get max value for sure. Our O & Dline will be sweet!

No doubt "needs" (CB/OLB) can be filled in FA .. .but (@ Iamcanadian) really? Brabdon Harris is not starter quality & (Mason) Foster is even worse?
I guess we analyze players different. Foster was about as productive a college LB there was. Great attitude, team cpatian, former QB w/ high football IQ, plays any LB positions & TACKLES. That sounds like a solid 3rd round gem to me.

Brothgar
04-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I trust Mayhew, I am excited about the picks they seemed to get max value for sure. Our O & Dline will be sweet!

No doubt "needs" (CB/OLB) can be filled in FA .. .but (@ Iamcanadian) really? Brabdon Harris is not starter quality & (Mason) Foster is even worse?
I guess we analyze players different. Foster was about as productive a college LB there was. Great attitude, team cpatian, former QB w/ high football IQ, plays any LB positions & TACKLES. That sounds like a solid 3rd round gem to me.

I think Harris is a nickle corner and we already have three nickle corners. The Lions did well there not taking Harris IMO. But the success or failure in this draft will be based on what happens in free agency IMO.

Xiomera
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Greg Jones in round 5?

Haha

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah I agree I think the corners were shot when Ras I Dowling went off the board. Harris a nickel and we have plenty of young nickels. Chris Houston will be back and we'll target someone in free agency. I'd rather have a vet at corner than a rookie actually.Especially if that rookie is playing as a number 1 corner.

LB I liked Martez Wilson but LeShoure is still a good player and 1-2 back combo was a need. I know people were saying we could wait until later but the success rate is much much higher in Rounds1-2. But even waiting Ryan Williams,DeMarco Murray,Daniel Thomas are off the board in Round 2 and early Round 3 and Ridley and Alex Green are off the board at the end of Round 3. I'm glad the 1-2 punch is set. We need to run the ball better, I dislike Raiola but he's here to stay and Peterman got better later in the year and Sims was extended. Gosder needs to get healthy and Backus is a solid run blocker plus Pettigrew on the edge making blocks. A healthy Best and the bruiser LeShoure gets me excited espeically with everyone worrying about Calvin,Burleson and the speedster Young now.

lionsfan320
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
ever realize how often we trade with Seattle?

Silver & Blue
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I want Chris Carter super bad if he falls to us. Probably won't happen but I hope it does.

Xiomera
04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
ever realize how often we trade with Seattle?

I think a lot of teams have a frequent trade partner.

They just mentioned that the Pats and Eagles have made a draft day trade like 6-7 years in a row.

Scotty D
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
I'll call David Mims, OT in the 5th. This is tough watching all these prospects come off the board and we have no picks.

Silver & Blue
04-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll call David Mims, OT in the 5th. This is tough watching all these prospects come off the board and we have no picks.

I saw some other guys talking about Mims, he should be a solid pickup in the 5th.

Xiomera
04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
If the Lions draft an OT, is it an admission that Jake Fox was a wasted pick?

We have Hilliard, Backus and Gosder. Would we carry 4 OTs?

I'd rather draft a guard or center.

Silver & Blue
04-30-2011, 12:27 PM
If the Lions draft an OT, is it an admission that Jake Fox was a wasted pick?

We have Hilliard, Backus and Gosder. Would we carry 4 OTs?

I'd rather draft a guard or center.

Not necessarily, I think they are hoping that Jason Fox will takeover for Backus eventually. It sounds like although Mims plays LT in college he would probably play at RT in the NFL.

Heres some film on Mims.

Tape 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Qd4P9gZkU

Tape 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVBUWYDYO4&feature=related

lionsfan320
04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Greg Jones in round 5?

Haha

looks like it's going to happen! (maybe)

Scotty D
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Two away! Who's it going to be? Greg Romeus?

Silver & Blue
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Doug Hogue OLB from Syracuse is the selection.

noondog
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I was thinking Romeus too, but Jones would be nice as well.

IwannatalktoSampson
04-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Doug Hogue scouting report

For a player who has only spent 24 games at linebacker, Hogue will only get better. He has good speed and great instincts…whether it be hunting down the ball carrier or the quarterback. Hogue has solid hands, which he developed during his days as a running back and he could even be a short yardage ball carrier in the NFL. However, his true position at the next level is as an outside linebacker and some team that has time to teach Hogue and allow him to learn more about the position will be getting a steal in the fourth or fifth round.

From FFToolbox.com http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2788#ixzz1L2DHWuJ8

georgiafan
04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
another solid pick fits a need and he could see the field early

Maybe This Year Mayhew
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
I like Hogues potentail. Bulk him up and he can have a chance for Will down the line.

Any news on Dizon's injury. I always forget about that guy. Not expecting much out of him but just wondering.

IwannatalktoSampson
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
another solid pick fits a need and he could see the field early

hes got very limited experience at linebacker however he was a DB in high school, and a runningback as a freshman and sophomore. Thats going to help him tremendously understand the game. He is a little undersized too at 235 pounds so hopefully he can add 5 more pounds in the next few months. He may not start this year but HOPEFULLY he'll be ready by 2012

Scotty D
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Good pick up in the 5th. I wanted the overrated big name guys but looks like they found a guy that fits the scheme with some potential.

SINCE1978
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I bet Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse is the 5th rd target. He was brought into Allen Park & is pretty underrated. I just read a comparison of him to former 'Cuse LB Keith Bullock ... not too shabby. Just watching the Wings game thinking of players that might have a chance to crack the line up.

Mayhew called me last night around midnight & asked me who I liked in 5 .... hahaha.