PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Grades

roscoesdad27
04-29-2011, 07:28 AM
1) Carolina.... C. Newton q.b. Auburn ... A
I woulda took Dareus but with all things considered I can't blame them. Newton is the first of these recent big time spread/dual threat q.b.'s (Young/Tebow) without mechanical throwing flaws. If an offense is tailor made for him and his confidence doesn't fade he could run some new age type offense if parlayed with a creative offensive coordinator. You don't wanna be remembered as the team that passed Michael Jordan.o

2) Denver... V. Miller olb/r.e. Texas A+M... A+
Will be used the same way Orakpo was used in Washington in his rookie season when they was still running the 4-3, playing olb in base packages and r.e. in passing situations. He's ideal for this role, imagine stacking him off the same edge as doom on base packages or lining him up hands in the dirt against a r.t. on 3rd and 10. D.J. Williams can fill in at either mlb or the other olb spot. I have u guys taking Marvin Austin at 36 and Drake Nevis at 46 so the strategy of passing Dareus seems to have worked out.

3) Buffalo... M. Dareus d.t. Alabama... A+
Absolutely perfect fit for their hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme. His presence will reflect immediately in team rush defense and will help make everybody on defense better by occupying multiple blockers whilst still occasionally busting thru for a big play.

4) Cincinnati... A.J. Green w.r. Georgia... A+
Another perfect schematic fit and draft strategy here. A.J's superb route running makes him a perfect west coast guy and his size matches up with Jay Gruden's specific liking. Also Dalton, Kaepernick and Mallet are still available so that side of it worked out as well.

5) Arizona... P. Peterson c.b./f.s. LSU... A
Love Peterson but didn't give it an A+ cause the lack of a pass rusher at olb is much more to do with the defensive passing woes than c.b.. Woulda liked to have seen a trade down but Peterson compliments DRC perfectly and will be an immediate special teams weapon.

6) Atlanta (Cleveland)... J.Jones w.r. Alabama... pick A trade E...total C
The only reason I don't give the trade an F from Atlantas standpoint is cause they can get a d.e. in free agency still but the last time I seen the falcons play they gave up 48 points at home and looked absolutely helpless. Not suggesting they take Quinn or Smith over Jones but rather saying stay put and get a combination of d.e./w.r. in rounds 1/2. Roddy is the #1 w.r. so the need was really a #2 guy like Hankerson, Baldwin, Little or even a dynamic weapon like Jernigan or Cobb. All that + get a d.e. like Reed, Sheard or Acho.....some sort of combo with this mix woulda been much better. No 2nd rounder today or first round pick next year?!?!....lol they got fleeced, too bad Cleveland will Squander it.

7) S.F.... A. Smith 3-4 olb Missouri... A
The first thought that comes to mind is who's going to be q.b. and how much does Harbaugh like Alex Smith to pass on Locker and Gabbert to pull a slight reach for a player that will have to transition to a new position. The second question that comes to mind is can he transition to 3-4 olb? If he can then its a great pick cause Aldon could develope into a Demarcus Ware type. They can still address q.b. with Mallet, Dalton and Kaepernick still available or go with a c.b. like D. House or R.I.Dowling or go with a 3-4 d.e. like A. Baily or C. Ballard....gotta get a q.b. somewhere if they don't land one in round 2, maybe bring in a vet like palmer or McNabb to compete with Alex Smith.

TBC...

AntoinCD
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
You seem to be pretty generous with those grades

1. Carolina Panthers-Cam Newton: C+

The Panthers had no real choice but to take Newton but that doesnt necessarily mean it's a good pick. Offensive scheme issues, character concerns, one year of production, previous off field transgessions. Taking a #1 pick overall with these red flags does not make for a good pick immediately.

2. Denver Broncos-Von Miller: B

I like the idea of bringing Miller in but the pass rush should be improved anyway with a healthy Dumervil. The run defense is still horrid and Dareus was sitting there for them.

3. Buffalo Bills-Marcell Dareus: A

Obvious pick and fills a huge need. Playing next to Kyle Williams should really fortify their run defense and free up outside rushers. Easy pick

4. Cincinnatti Bengals-AJ Green: A-

Probably their BPA and addresses a huge need for Cincinnati. Only reason its an A- and not an A is there is enough of a worry about Carson Palmer's status. Rumoured trade down with Atlanta fell through and they could have gotten Dalton plus a boatload of picks.

5. Arizona Cardinals-Patrick Peterson: A+

Sometimes the easiest pick is the most obvious. CB not necessarily a huge need but Peterson was the best player in the draft in a lot of people's eyes and can help lockdown one side of the field opposite DRC.

roscoesdad27
04-29-2011, 08:08 AM
1) I think they shoulda Dareus but at the end of the decade you don't wanna be the team that passed on Jordan....anybody other than Dareus or Newton woulda been a B at best.

2) With Austin, Paea and Nevis still available round 2 getting a unique defensive weapon with a #2 pick isn't a bad idea.

3) why not A+?

4) they can still get Dalton + they have a weapon that fits the system and coach to perfection.

5) I love Peterson and the pick, borderline A+ but I feel they coulda traded down for some extra picks + get an olb like Smith or Quinn to more specifically address the problem.....LOVE PP THOU!

fenikz
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
PP & Ayers/Reed/Sheard/Houston >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Smith/Quinn & maybe Harris(he may very well be gone, in which case House would be the next best CB)

1. B
2. B+
3. A
4. A+
5. A+

roscoesdad27
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
8) Tennessee... J. Locker q.b. Washington...A+
The more I think about it the more I love it. Q.B. was by far the #1 need and Locker is a perfect fit. Has all the intangibles and his atheleticism should keep d.e.'s worried about him taking off thus opening up holes for CJ much like Young did. This factor moved it from an A (for reaching ahead of gabbert) to an A+ for schematic fit.

9) Dallas... T. Smith o.t. USC... A+
Solid move, improves 2 positions by moving Free to r.t. and taking over the all important l.t. spot which is a great idea with Romo coming off injury. Smith is a tenacious run blocker that also has the feet and long arms to be an elite pass blocker.

TBC...

roscoesdad27
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
10) Jacksonville (Washington)... B. Gabbert q.b. Mizzou... pick B+ trade B+ total B+
Great spot for Gabbert to hold the clip.board for a year or so before ascending to franchise q.b. As much as I love Locker I like Gabbert just a bit better, just don't know if its what's best for the jags with more pressing needs at d.e. and f.s.. When the trade was first announced I thought Quinn. If Gabbert developes then the trade is to the jags advantage being the skins needed a q.b. at the time, if not the skins got the better....also depends on how well the skins new q.b. plays....lots of texture to this.

11) Houston... J.J.Watt 3-4 d.e. Wisconsin...A+
Forms a potentially deadly duo with super Mario but a big N.T. will be needed to gel correctly imho. Has the makings of a new style of 3-4 with an old school coach, love the mix!!!

12) Minnesota... C. Ponder q.b. FSU...A-
Would've liked to trade down but a q.b. had to be the pick. R. mallet woulda been a better fit and has more upside and coulda been had round 2 allowing Amukamara or Quinn to be picked here at better value. Ponder could prove to be the real deal thou.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey, look! Everyone gets an A! Now let's all go dance with the unicorns, swim in the taffy river, harvest the gumdrop trees, and suck each other's dicks!

Sorry, man. But that's just silly.

MI_Buckeye
04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
My first round grades

1. Carolina - F (At least Ron Rivera can now say he was once an NFL head coach)
2. Denver - D- (Overrated player going to a horrible scheme fit)
3. Buffalo - A (Nobody better for a hybrid front)
4. Cincinnati - C (Player I believe has peaked over more dynamic players and a franchise QB)
5. Arizona - A (Best player in the draft now makes for a scary CB tandem)
6. Atlanta - B- (Love the player, scared by the trade)
7. San Fran - B (Great prospect for scheme, passed on franchise QB)
8. Tennessee - D+ (Huge gamble)
9. Dallas - D+ (Way overrated player)
10. Jacksonville - A (Best QB in the draft)
11. Houston - B+ (Great player, other players at more valuable positions available)
12. Minnesota - B (Love Ponder, reach but I think they got a solid QB)
13. Detroit - A- (Wonderful value, taken at Detroit's strongest position)
14. St. Louis - A++ (My second best player at position of value and need)
15. Miami - C- (A reach but they needed to fix O Line)
16. Washington - C+ (Good player, questionable scheme fit)
17. New England - D (Hugely overrated player)
18. San Diego - C (Scheme projection, more highly-rated players available)
19. Giants - A- (Terrific player at crucial position, great value)
20. Tampa Bay - D (Overrated player and bad scheme fit)
21. Cleveland - A (Underrated player who helps upgrade infrastructure)
22. Indianapolis - A (Best player at biggest position of need)
23. Philadelphia - C (Nice story, better players on the board)
24. New Orleans - A- (Magnificent value, might end up playing out of position)
25. Seattle - D (only spared an F, because it was obvious they were trying to get out)
26. Kansas City - B (Sleeper with game-breaking ability)
27. Baltimore - A (would have been an A+ if not for the trade faux pas)
28. New Orleans - B+ (A for the value, lowered point total for the trade)
29. Chicago - B (Good player who fills need)
30. Jets - A+ (Just a home run on all counts)
31. Pittsburgh - B (Good player, Did they need him?)
32. Green Bay - A- (LT of the future at the end of the round)

roscoesdad27
04-29-2011, 04:01 PM
13) Detroit....N. Fairley d.t. Auburn...A+
Him and Suh could be potentially great on an all time scale as far as pressuring the q.b. from the defensive interior goes and the natural competition that will happen between them should keep Fairley hungry. Any passing team with interior blocking problems (g.b./chicago) is in BIG trouble.

14) S.L....R. Quinn 3-4 olb UNC...A+
Butch Davis compares him to Michael Strahan as a 4-3 d.e., that's a scary thought opposite Long in a Spags scheme. One of my absolute favorite picks in a ridiculously good draft.

15) Miami...M. Pouncey o.g./c Florida...A+
I think Henne will be alright if they can get a running game going. I've been convinced ever since I've seen him consistently pull and less from the center position against Penn state. Better fit at o.g. imho but should develope into a probowler at either spot.

16) Washington (Jacksonville)....R. Kerrigan 3-4 olb Purdue...pick B- trade B+ total B
Whoever they pick in round 2 or whoever goes forward at q.b. will be forever compared to Gabbert but I liked the trade down cause I thought for sure they was gonna take Cameron Jordan to apply pressure across from Orakpo at the 5 tech. As far as the pick I'm not sold on kerrigans ability to stand up and drop into coverage. When you already have an established pass rusher you need a compliment, a run stuffer that is good in coverage, a guy you can get in rounds 2 or 3. Kerrigan is just like Orakpo making them predictable and the defense vulnerable to quick passes.

17) N.E.... N. Solder o.t. Colorado...A-
Castonozo woulda been better and Cam Jordan woulda been ridiculous but this is still a solid choice here. Brady now has a great young set of o.t.'s to ride off in the sunset with.

gpngc
04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
My first round grades

4. Cincinnati - C (Player I believe has peaked over more dynamic players and a franchise QB)
11. Houston - B+ (Great player, other players at more valuable positions available)
25. Seattle - D (only spared an F, because it was obvious they were trying to get out)

Specifically, what makes Gabe Carimi a FAR superior pro prospect to James Carpenter? Why do you think Carpenter will be a bust?

jrdrylie
04-29-2011, 04:41 PM
1. Carolina- Cam Newton C: New regimes means new QB but Newton has bust written all over him.
2. Denver- Von Miller C+: Miller may turn out to be a good player. But Dareus still would have been a better pick.
3. Buffalo- Marcel Dareus A+: He'll step in Right away and be great.
4. Cincinnati- AJ Green A: after deciding to call Palmer's bluff, Green was the only way to go.
5. Arizona- Patrick Peterson A+: They got the best player in the draft at five. Great pick!
6. Atlanta- Julio Jones A: I think Jones will be better than Green. But did they give up too much?
7. San Francisco- Aldon Smith C-: Over Quinn, Amukamara, and Gabbert?
8. Tennessee- Jake Locker B: Maybe a little early but if you think he is a franchise QB you have to pull the trigger.
9. Dallas- Tyron Smith A: We all saw this pick coming for weeks. I think it's a good one.
10. Jacksonville- Blaine Gabbert B+: I like Gabbert but Jack Del Rio needs to win now. Does a rookie QB help him do that?
11. Houston- JJ Watt C: Watt may be a good player but I think it was a mistake to pass on Quinn and Amukamara.
12. Minnesota Vikings- Christian Ponder C: there was a run on QB and the Vikings panicked.
13. Detroit- Nick Fairley D: Amukamara is a better player and filled a bigger need.
14. St. Louis- Robert Quinn A+: Other teams mistakes allowed the Rams to steal a great pass rusher.
15. Miami- Mike Pouncey C-: Too high for a guard, especially one who isn't even that great.
16. Washington- Ryan Kerrigan B: Kerrigan is one of my favorite prospects. I'm just concerned about how he transitions to the 34.
17. New England- Nate Solder A: I am not a fan of Solder personally. But if there is one place he can reach his huge potential, it's New England.
18. San Diego- Corey Liuget B+: A good value I just think Cameron Joedan would have been better.

jrdrylie
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
19. New York Giants- Prince Amukamara A+: Should have been gone ten picks earlier.
20. Tampa Bay- Adrian Clayborn A: He was the guy they had been targeting all along. Good pick.
21. Cleveland- Phil Taylor F: Why trade a third round pick for a guy who doesn't even fit anywhere?
22. Indianapolis- Anthony Castonzo A+: They had to get Manning some protection. Castonzo isn't flashy but he will be good.
23. Philadelphia- Danny Watkins D-: I don't understand this at all. He's old and there are better linemen available.
24. New Orleans- Cameron Jordan A+: Like the Giants, the Saints benefit from the stupidity of others.
25. Seattle- James Carpenter D: What, have they never heard of Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod in Washington?
26. Kansas City- Jon Baldwin C: This is the one pick I'm torn on so I'll go right down the middle.
27. Baltimore- Jimmy Smith A: He had some character issues but I think he'll be fine in Baltimore. They have strong veteran leadership.
28. New Orleans- Mark Ingram B-: They traded quite a bit to take a running back that is kind of a luxury pick and had knee issues. He better be great.
29. Chicago- Gabe Carimi A+: Offensive line was their biggest need and they got they guy who best fits their offense.
30. New York Jets- Muhammad Wilkerson A+: Great value and a great fit. Maybe the best pick in the first round.
31. Pittsburgh- Cameron Heyward A-: Sure they had more pressing needs but this is still a solid move.
32. Green Bay- Derek Sherrod A: Sherrod was one of my favorite prospects. With him and Bulaga as bookends how is anyone going to touch Rodgers?

MI_Buckeye
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Specifically, what makes Gabe Carimi a FAR superior pro prospect to James Carpenter? Why do you think Carpenter will be a bust?

He is an overweight, finesse tackle that I dont think projects all that well inside. Carimi was just a mauler in college. Completely different levels of players. Carpenter might not end up being a total bust, but he is definitely an enormous reach.

TBBucs621
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
IMO the Bills and Saints are the only team that deserve an A to A+

Fred Savage
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey, look! Everyone gets an A! Now let's all go dance with the unicorns, swim in the taffy river, harvest the gumdrop trees, and suck each other's dicks!

+1

My first round grades

+1

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 05:39 AM
18) S.D.... C. Liuget d.l. Illinois....B+
Indications are the chargers switching to the 4-3 or some sort of hybrid, if so this is yet another A pick, if they stay in the 3-4 its a B- so all in all I'll say B+ for now.

19) Giants...P. Amukamara c.b. Nebraska...A
Tremendous value here but not a major need so it falls just short of an A+. Still Prince is a great all around corner prospect that dropped only because his hands aren't very good. Makes A LOT of seats thou and reminds me of scrabble, def a steal.

20) T.B....A. Clayborn d.e. Iowa...B-
just a bad fit in a Tampa scheme unless he can play l.e.....but you don't draft l.e. over r.e. for the same reason you value l.t. over r.t........esp. in a Tampa scheme. I think they shoulda got jimmy smith there with no Tampa type d.e.'s of value other than maybe brooks reed.

21) Cleveland (K.C.)... P.Taylor d.t. Baylor...pick B trade D- total C
Why move up and more importantly why take Taylor over Wilkerson? I understand that the new defensive scheme calls for massive d.t.'s much like the jags from 5-6 years ago and the 2000 ravens but I reiterate that trading up was unnecessary and taking Taylor over Wilkerson was also a mistake. It's become a 3 w.r./nickel standard league making the slightly smaller but much quicker Wilkerson the hybrid that's better adapted to the modern game while still having the size to stick with the schematic core.

22) Indianapolis... A. Castonozo o.t. B.C....A+
Fluid o.t. to protect the ageing blind side of one of the best q.b.'s ever....need, value and schematic fit comes together beautifully here.

23) Philly... D. Watkins o.g./r.t. Baylor...B
He is a natural o.g. with a chance of maybe developing into a r.t. which is where the more pressing need is. Jimmy Smith might not of been a good fit but I still woulda took him over Watkins here. If your gonna go o.l. why not Carimi who's a true r.t.?

24) N.O....C. Jordan l.e./u.t. Cal...A+
Tremendous value here. The saints like their d.e.'s big so he fits the scheme and he can also move inside to u.t. on passing situations ala Justin tuck.

25) Seattle...J. Carpenter o.g./o.t. Alabama...D-
Soo many better picks on the board and he doesn't have the size to play r.t. and with Okung at l.t. the hawks just reached on a position that isn't valued in the first round.

26) Baltimore...J. Smith c.b. Colorado...A+
We basically got a young Chris McCalister here and we've been needing that badly for a few years now. Ray Lewis's unequaled leadership skills affords us the luxury of picking mega talented guys like this at tremendous value, might go down as the best c.b. in this loaded class.

27) K.C....J. Baldwin w.r. Pitt...pick A- trade B total B+
Solid pick but with this deep of a w.r. class and with an established #1 in Bowe I feel they coulda got a solid starter round 2. I woulda took B. Reed to play across from Tamba, I think they was thinking they could drop a few spots and still get Taylor, the Browns surprised us all.

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
28) N.O. (N.E.)...M. Ingram r.b. Alabama...pick B+ trade E total C-
I love Ingram but they coulda stayed put and got Williams, Leshore or worst case Thomas + have a 1st rounder next year.

29) Chicago...G. Carimi r.t. Wisconsin...A
Natural r.t. to establish the running game and help with the bears o.l. woes.

30) Jets....M. Wilkerson 3-4 d.e/n.t. Temple...A+
Big Penetrator to play all along the defensive front.

31) Pittsburgh....C. Heyward 3-4 d.e. Ohio State...B+
Love Heyward just thought c.b., o.t. and n.t. were much bigger needs.

32) G.B.... D. Sherrod l.t. Mississippi State...A+
With him at l.t. and buluga at r.t. the best current q.b. in the league has a great pair of career bookend tackles.

wicket
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
28) N.O. (N.E.)...M. Ingram r.b. Alabama...pick B+ trade E total C-
I love Ingram but they coulda stayed put and got Williams, Leshore or worst case Thomas + have a 1st rounder next year.

should have stayed put and not pick a running back with that pick either

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
should have stayed put and not pick a running back with that pick either

when the trade was first announced I thought A. Ayers was gonna be the pick.

wicket
04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
when the trade was first announced I thought A. Ayers was gonna be the pick.

I wouldnt have liked that either but I had a weird sick feeling in my stomach that made me think this was gonna happen

wordofi
04-30-2011, 09:41 AM

You got that right.

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
lol guys....what can I say, it was a well drafted draft in the first round

the natural
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
My first round grades

I go with this.

Rosebud
04-30-2011, 01:30 PM
CB was a need since Ross has one year left on his contract, with his age, will be 30 or 31 by then, and injuries, misses games every year, it is very likely the Giants won't make him the same kind of offer he can get from some CB desperate team that could even offer him a starting spot. This was like the JPP pick, it fills a down the road need at a position of strength. I love this strategy since I think it offers the best chance to maximize on a players talent while ensuring that our strengths don't suddenly become weaknesses like they did along the OL.

Granted a monster LB, Center or RB would've filled a bigger need, but we didn't have a chance to get Von Miller, nor was there a franchise Center or Future-All-Pro RB available to us. You can point to the OL but are any of Carimi, Castonzo or Sherrod going to be better even close to as good for us as Prince?

Hell I'm not even sure any of those 3 will ever be better LTs than William Beatty who's already gotten to learn with us for two years. And if you look at them as RTs, is any of them going to be a dominant enough to warrant a top 20 pick? I like Carimi a lot but his feet are going to keep him from playing LT in the NFL because speed rushers will take advantage of him, that's not terrible, David Diehl is a good OT and has the same problem on the outside, but while that issue is minimized by playing RT it is not eliminated. If Sherrod had played more ferociously this year I could buy him as a dominant RT, but he didn't so I don't and unless one of them was going to be an absolutely dominant RT we couldn't pass on CB with the talent of Prince for one of them. When we're putting out a Trio of Webster, Prince and TT next year and we finally match up our talent at DE with comparable talent in the secondary we'll be dominant against the pass, health/competent-DCing permitting.

Now the Giants seem to be putting a lot of faith in the youngsters in place along the OL, but that's not the worst of decisions. With Snee and Diehl you have either two elite Guards, or one elite Guard and good Tackle, so that's two spots filled. At Center we still have some question marks, but without an elite Center on the board we haven't yet had a chance to find marked upgrades from Adam Koets/Rich Seubert, then you've got to add Mitch Petrus into the mix who has incredible raw tools and has one the coaching staff's confidence, while he probably won't switch over to C he gives us a good guard once he gets a little experience. The question all comes down to William Beatty, who I loved as a prospect and has played well for stretches, but has struggled with injuries and he's still not bulked up enough, although he might this offseason. Then we've also got old man McKenzie who can still play RT when his back lets him, last year was a good year, this year who knows maybe he could pull it off again, if not we're not depending on him.

onejayhawk
04-30-2011, 01:50 PM
27) K.C....J. Baldwin w.r. Pitt...pick A- trade B total B+
Solid pick but with this deep of a w.r. class and with an established #1 in Bowe I feel they coulda got a solid starter round 2. I woulda took B. Reed to play across from Tamba, I think they was thinking they could drop a few spots and still get Taylor, the Browns surprised us all.

I totally do not get anyscore but A+ on the trade. #21=800, #27=680, #70=240, trade premium = 70 points, equivalent to a mid 4th round pick. That is like getting Jalil Brown for free, with change back.

The pick I like less, especially since there were teams offering for the pick. He was good value at the slot. We will see if either the ability or the flaws were exaggerated.

J

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I totally do not get anyscore but A+ on the trade. #21=800, #27=680, #70=240, trade premium = 70 points, equivalent to a mid 4th round pick. That is like getting Jalil Brown for free, with change back.

The pick I like less, especially since there were teams offering for the pick. He was good value at the slot. We will see if either the ability or the flaws were exaggerated.

J

Because I feel k.c. targeted Taylor but had to settle for Baldwin when the very team they traded with surprisingly picked Taylor despite being a 4-3 team..kinda backfired on k.c. but they did get great value for the trade.

Basileus777
04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I'll take Baldwin and Houston over Taylor any day.

roscoesdad27
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I'll take Baldwin and Houston over Taylor any day.

On the other hand u have a hole at n.t. and jerrel powe is proof the Texans needed and wanted to address the position. Not saying it was a bad trade, just saying it kinda backfired because I think the chiefs was and shoulda been interested in Taylor.

Seasonticketholder
04-30-2011, 07:01 PM

24. New Orleans- Cameron Jordan A+: Like the Giants, the Saints benefit from the stupidity of others.
28. New Orleans- Mark Ingram B-: They traded quite a bit to take a running back that is kind of a luxury pick and had knee issues. He better be great.

Okay, first, I agree with your analysis of the Jordan pick. I think he provides excellent value.

I disagree, however, with the analysis on Ingram. How did the Saints exactly trade "quite a bit?" This trade is the same trade that Jacksonville made to get Blaine Gabbert. How so? Well, the Jags traded their first this year and a second rounder to move up to get Gabbert from the Skins.

The Saints essentially made the same deal. They traded their first (next year) and a second this year to move up to get Ingram from the Pats. In both cases, each team (Jags and Saints) swapped firsts and gave up a second. The only difference is, our first comes next year as opposed to this year. it would have been no different than if the Saints are sitting on the board in the late first, trade a second to move up to grab a player. This is not the Atlanta Falcons trade where you are giving up five picks for one pick. The Saints basically gave up a secon.

Also, I do not see it as a luxury pick. We needed a RB. Bush is an outlier in our offense. Ivory is very talented but oft-injured (dating back to his collegiate days). Thomas is talented, has been a major contributor but is also a guy who has not shown he can carry the load. I think in the case of Bush and Thomas, less can be more. But when we went to the Superbowl, we were #6 in rushing. Our pass/run ratio was 53/47%. Last year, we were almost at 65/35% and it showed. Drew threw more interceptions and was sacked more than any other time in his career with the Saints. So grabbing Ingram improves our running game. I do not think Ryan Williams or Mikel Leshoure would have beaten out the guys we have in place.

Finally, the Saints gave Ingram a full medical clearance so his knee is not an issue to them and truly was overstated in the weeks leading up to the draft. The guy had a scope, missed two games and was back on the field less than three weeks after he had tweaked his knee during camp.

IMO the Bills and Saints are the only team that deserve an A to A+

Thanks! But I actually think a number of teams had very solid drafts, including the Bucs, Lions, Texans, and a few others.