PDA

View Full Version : Bears and Ravens Near Disaster

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
I think we shouldn't look past the near dibacle last night between the Bears and Ravens. Jerry Angelo has publicly stated that it is the Bears fault and no blame should be on the Ravens. Apparently a swap of pick #26 for #28 was agreed upon by both teams with the Ravens getting a 4th rounder. Chicago wanted to move ahead of KC who they thought might take Carimi. Ravens wanted to move to 28 as they knew KC was unlikely to take Jimmy Smith. Apparently the Bears screwed up royally and never confirmed the trade with the league, thus the Ravens passed the pick. This could have gone completely wrong. In the end everything was fine as the Bears still got Carimi and Ravens still got Smith, but this could have been ugly if the Chiefs took Jimmy Smith or if a team traded for the KC pick and took Smith. Or what if the Pats sprinted with their pick and the Ravens missed 2 picks. No one cares anymore because no harm no foul, but this definitely has damaged Angelo's name and teams in the future will be more reluctant to make draft day trades with them. I know Ozzie Newsome feels entitled to a 4th rounder but a trade is only official when both teams report to the league. Bears failed so there is nothing you can do now. Would have served the Bears right had KC drafted Carimi like they should have.

Ravens1991
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
BaltimoreRavens.com reports biscotti will ask NFL to get the 4th round pick anyway. Doubt it happens but is worth a try.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
BaltimoreRavens.com reports biscotti will ask NFL to get the 4th round pick anyway. Doubt it happens but is worth a try.

I don't see how you can. First round is over. Nothing was official. Even if the Bears wanted to man up and give the 4th, I'm not sure it's even allowed.

Nalej
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
lol, why? They didn't trade their picks

Ravens1991
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Cause we would have gotten the 4th if Jerry Angelo head was out of his ass. I doubt we get it but we arent losing anything by asking for the 4th as compensation.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM

They agreed, Bears just never reported it. Again there is nothing you can do now and the Ravens won't get the 4th, but the Bears could have really f'ed up another franchise and this definitely damages their credibility in the league. Teams will be incredibly reluctant to negotiate with them on draft day in the future. If the Ravens had missed out on Jimmy Smith because of this the Bears would be getting bashed hard. Vice versa the Bears would be pissed if the Chiefs took Carimi because they didn't report the trade. In the NFL front office image and credibility is so important when making trades. The Patriots constantly make good trades and teams don't mind giving them picks because they know negotations will be smooth.

SFbear
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Fortunately all the teams got the player they wanted. Bear FO definitely looks incompetent and disorganized but Im glad Angelo is taking full responsibility. Hilariously the Bears are so averse to trading up in the first place. The one time they try to it is both unnecessary and a complete disaster. Losing a 4th would definitely hurt.

dawhizz
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Interesting stance from the Ravens, considering what happened in 2003:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/26/vikings_draft_ap/

The Ravens, while acknowledging the trade was agreed upon, contended it was not made official because they didn't speak with league official Joel Bussert.

"The deal was not consummated," general manager Ozzie Newsome said at Baltimore's headquarters. "A deal is not a deal until I talk to Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert."

SeanTaylorRIP
04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
hmm.. ok well looks like both sides might have been at fault. I do think what Ozzie is saying though is that because the Bears didn't report he never got the deal finalized, and unless it's finalized it's not a deal. I respect both franchises though for staying classy.

Jughead10
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Interesting stance from the Ravens, considering what happened in 2003:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/26/vikings_draft_ap/

The Ravens, while acknowledging the trade was agreed upon, contended it was not made official because they didn't speak with league official Joel Bussert.

"The deal was not consummated," general manager Ozzie Newsome said at Baltimore's headquarters. "A deal is not a deal until I talk to Joel Bussert, and I never talked to Joel Bussert."

Forgot who it was in the Baltimore front office, but he was on the radio this morning saying the exact opposite. Ozzie submitted it to Joel, and was waiting for Chicago to do the same. Chicago kept saying they did, but they had not.

iowatreat54
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
So, while I understand essentially the Bears screwed this up, what the Ravens are asking is ridiculously dumb.

So you get the guy you want (have they admitted that's who they wanted?), get to pay him less (albeit slightly) because he was picked one pick lower, and you still want a 4th rounder from the Bears?

I mean, I know it's the principle and hindsight is 20/20, but what the Ravens are basically asking is for the Bears to give them a 4th rounder for lulz. Why not ask the NFL to give you any random team's 4th rounder while you're at it? You have basically the same right to the 49ers 4th round pick as the Bears at this point..

Jughead10
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
They admitted Jimmy was they player they wanted at 26 before they were skipped and who they were still hoping to get if the trade was made.

Monomach
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think this damages Angelo's credibility at all. Everyone already knows he's a moron.

dawhizz
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think this damages Angelo's credibility at all. Everyone already knows he's a moron.

It's was about time for his incompetence to pay off.

ElectricEye
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
That certainly worked out pretty well for the Bears then. You get the guy you were targeting all along and don't have to give up an extra draft pick.

iowatreat54
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Lol

I've read Ravens fans saying the NFL should give them a compensatory pick at the end of the 4th if the Bears down hand their 4th rounder over.

I really don't understand how anyone can be upset over this in hind sight. Absolutely nothing bad came from this...at all.

coordinator0
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Lol

I've read Ravens fans saying the NFL should give them a compensatory pick at the end of the 4th if the Bears down hand their 4th rounder over.

I really don't understand how anyone can be upset over this in hind sight. Absolutely nothing bad came from this...at all.

Ravens fans? Where? I don't think anybody on here is arguing for the pick, it's a ridiculous proposal and I think Ozzie/Bisciotti is just blowing off steam. No rules were broken, no trade was agreed upon, nothing is there to suggest that we should get anything.

iowatreat54
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Ravens fans? Where? I don't think anybody on here is arguing for the pick, it's a ridiculous proposal and I think Ozzie/Bisciotti is just blowing off steam. No rules were broken, no trade was agreed upon, nothing is there to suggest that we should get anything.

Oh, it was just fans on the Ravens official site forum. Everyone on here isn't lacking any kind of brain power like the handful of guys on that site acting like they were huge victims of a great injustice and deserve something in return depsite not giving up anything.

FuzzyGopher
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Sour grapes by the Ravens, that is pretty much exactly what they did to Minnesota in 2003.

coordinator0
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh, it was just fans on the Ravens official site forum. Everyone on here isn't lacking any kind of brain power like the handful of guys on that site acting like they were huge victims of a great injustice and deserve something in return depsite not giving up anything.

Ahh that explains everything lol.