PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Entire 1st Round

Monomach
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
1 CAR Cam Newton Grade: D Analysis: Ron Rivera deserved better. Hurney handed him his pink slip in his first draft.
2 DEN Von Miller Grade: C Analysis: Awesome player, and they're sure to adjust the scheme to fit his talents, but there's no way they can scheme to his full potential when they're making him play SAM.
3 BUF Marcell Dareus Grade: A Analysis: That line is going to be nasty.
4 CIN AJ Green Grade: A Analysis: Hard to blame them for wanting to move past their pair of divas.
5 ARI Patrick Peterson Grade: A Analysis: Good luck passing on the Cards now.
6 ATL Julio Jones Grade: C Analysis: A for the player, F for the trade. Fun fact: They gave up more for Julio Jones than the Bears did for Jay Cutler.
7 SF Aldon Smith Grade: B Analysis: Boooooring pick. I assume they have plans to replace Clements in free agency?
8 TEN Jake Locker Grade: A Analysis: He's going to be the best QB of this class.
9 DAL Tyron Smith Grade: A Analysis: Finallly Jerry Jones tales a first round OL.
10 JAX Blaine Gabbert Grade: C Analysis: I think he's going to be an ok starter, but not much better than Garrard, if at all. Some of the most unimpressive QB tape I've ever seen.
11 HOU JJ Watt Grade: A Analysis: Could have used Prince, but Watt is going to be an animal in the pro game.
12 MIN Christian Ponder Grade: F Analysis: I spit water all over my living room when this went down. First thing I said: "Who let Chilly into the draft room?!"
13 DET Nick Fairley Grade: B Analysis: Has potential to be a bust and the Lions defense would be almost there with a premier CB. On the other hand, he could play as a pro like he did last year. If he does...look out.
14 STL Robert Quinn Grade: D Analysis: I know he looked amazing when he last played. Unfortunately, it feels like that was back in the seventies. I would NEVER spend a top 15 pick on a guy who's a year removed from playing football. That's just crazy. Add in a brain tumor and...yikes. On the other hand, maybe he's Julius Peppers. The very definition of a boom or bust pick. For a team that really needs more impact players, one of any number of UTs would have been better picks, imo.
15 MIA Mike Pouncey Grade: C Analysis: He's not nearly as good as draftniks seem to think, but he should be an average guard. Not what you want out of a first rounder, but getting a surefire starter is safe.
16 WAS Ryan Kerrigan Grade: B Analysis: Love his motor, hate his coverage skills.
17 NE Nate Solder Grade: D Analysis: They needed a LT, but they got one who isn't as good as Carimi or Sherrod, who came off the board later. plays soft and is way too raw to be taken this early.
18 SD Corey Liuget Grade: C Analysis: Confusing. Doesn't seem like that great of a fit for their scheme. Can't think of a way to justify taking him when Cameron Jordan was available.
19 NYG Prince Amakumara Grade: A Analysis: They got the corner that a bunch of other teams SHOULD have taken. Excellent value. Say goodbye to your hopes for an extension, Aaron Ross.
20 TB Adrian Clayborn Grade: F Analysis: No. Just no. Not a fit, not even the third-best DE on the board.
21 CLE Phil Taylor Grade: B Analysis: The last time Dick Jauron was truly successful, he had Keith Traylor and Ted Washington clogging up the middle of the field with their considerable girth. Can't help but wonder if he's on the right track here.
22 IND Anthony Castonzo Grade: B Analysis: I know a lot of Indy fans on this board are feeling like they've been kicked in the junk by Polian right now, but it'll be ok. No, he's not Carimi, but he's going to at least be a good pass protector.
23 PHI Danny Watkins Grade: B Analysis: I LOVE Danny Watkins. I think he's going to be an impact guard. Still...not the right pick.
24 NO Cam Jordon Grade: A Analysis: Such a crazy good value. Can't believe he fell this far.
25 SEA James Carpenter Grade: C Analysis: What? Really? It's like Seattle is trolling us with this pick. It's bad. Only gets a C because I think his floor is as a good run-blocking guard. It's unlikely that he's a full-blown bust, but it's more unlikely that he makes a real impact. He's going to have a Robert Gallery career.
26 KC Jon Baldwin Grade: B Analysis: There were much bigger needs, but he's going to be good. His "character concerns" were a joke. Lance Briggs has said thing 100x worse and no one thinks he's a bad character guy. I think if Baldwin had played on a team with a QB, he'd be seen as a sure top 15 pick.
27 BAL Jimmy Smith Grade: B Analysis: He's a dirtbag, but he's also amazingly talented. These picks always seem to work out for the Ravens, too.
28 NO Mark Ingram Grade: F Analysis: Bad trade for a position they didn't even have a need at. They have two fine backs in Ivory and Thomas. It was a fluke that they were so injured last year. What a knee-jerk move this was...
29 CHI Gabe Carimi Grade: A Analysis: Made me awfully happy. I've felt that he's the best tackle in this class since about the time of the Senior Bowl.
30 NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson Grade: A Analysis: Excellent value pick, fits the scheme well.
31 PIT Cam Heyward Grade: A Analysis: Same as what I said for the last pick.
32 GB Derek Sherrod Grade: C Analysis: It's a need, but I can't get over how soft he plays. Does NOT have a killer instinct at all.

TL;DR:
A: Buffalo, Cinci, Arizona, Tennessee, Dallas, Houston, New York Giants, New Orleans #1, Chicago, New York Jets, Pittsburgh
B: San Francisco, Detroit, Washington, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Philadephia, Kansas City, Baltimore,
C: Denver, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Miami, San Diego, Seattle, Green Bay
D: Carolina, St. Louis, New England
F: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, New Orleans #2

Feel free to add yours!

wicket
04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Solid saints grades exactly the same as i had

holt_bruce81
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Giving the Rams a D for taking a top 8 talent at #14

ok.

CJSchneider
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm telling you, you guys are nuts for saying the Saints didn't have a great first round.

You'll see.

Nalej
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Pats B+

A raw OT who played LT every year drafted by a team with one, if not the best, OL coach in the league.
The Pats'll probably resign Light for a year or two and allow them to bring Solder up slowly. Loved the pick. I liked Solder > Carimi, Sherrod and Castz.
I would have liked the Pats to have taken Wilkerson or Heyward at 28 but the trade was too good to pass up

Monomach
04-29-2011, 12:32 PM

ok.

He was a top 8 talent last season. Who the hell knows what he is this season?

Rosebud
04-29-2011, 12:40 PM

ok.

Yep, I love the Quinn pick for the Rams, they're still really young and that D has a long ways to go, so Quinn is in a good place to take his time developing opposite Chris Long. I thought that Bowers and Spags was a match made in heaven but apparently his knee is in worse shape then I had assumed.

He was a top 8 talent last season. Who the hell knows what he is this season?

The talents still there, if he impressed you in interviews and you trust his work ethic there's no reason to think he can't get back on track once he's back on the field.

the_dark_knight
04-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Falcons easy A here. They gave up a second rounder, a likely low first next year, and a couple of end of the 4th round picks. For JULIO JONES lol, people don't understand, you have to give something to get it, and the Falcons don't need 5 players that they're trying to develop into a #2 WR, they needed a #2 with #1 potential, and they got it. The Falcons now have a #1 and a #1b WR for Matt Ryan.

PossibleCabbage
04-29-2011, 12:44 PM
You're too hard on Sherrod. As soft as he plays, he's a vastly superior blocker right now any version of Chad Clifton over the past six or seven years, and Green Bay is a team that passes to set up the pass. When they do run, they don't run left. Left tackles in pass first offenses are pass-protectors first and foremost, which Sherrod projects better at than a lot of higher picks.

In 2011 I would rather have Derrick Sherrod blocking Jared Allen and Julius Peppers on the blind side than I would Solder or Carimi.

Diehard
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
2 DEN Von Miller Grade: C Analysis: Awesome player, and they're sure to adjust the scheme to fit his talents, but there's no way they can scheme to his full potential when they're making him play SAM.

Why not? It's a blank slate in terms of scheme at this point as there hasn't been the opportunity to install anything since the coaching change. Dennis Allen comes from a 3-3-5 and 46 background - both of those alignments provide Miller with great opportunities to attack while still leveraging the fact that he can do other things (unlike some of the other college DE-turned-LB types).

If we end up with a conservative Fox 4-3 cover 2, then the I will agree with you completely. But at this point, I'm not concerned that will be the case.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Colts fans overall are pretty happy about Castonzo. I am ok with it, moreso than yesterday. I just think Carimi would've been perfect. Nothing to do about it now.

MI_Buckeye
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
You're too hard on Sherrod. As soft as he plays, he's a vastly superior blocker right now any version of Chad Clifton over the past six or seven years, and Green Bay is a team that passes to set up the pass. When they do run, they don't run left. Left tackles in pass first offenses are pass-protectors first and foremost, which Sherrod projects better at than a lot of higher picks.

In 2011 I would rather have Derrick Sherrod blocking Jared Allen and Julius Peppers on the blind side than I would Solder or Carimi.

So does it look like the long-term plans are to play Sherrod on the left side and keep Bulaga at RT?

Babylon
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Seattle-C

I could have used you grading some of my papers in school. The pick of Carpenter is terrible. If someone tries to convince me he's better than Gabe Carimi (i know it wouldnt be you) i'd tell them to go jump of the nearest bridge.

PossibleCabbage
04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
So does it look like the long-term plans are to play Sherrod on the left side and keep Bulaga at RT?

That, I understand, is the plan. Sherrod backs up Clifton and fills in for him when he takes his annual "knee, flu, other-knee" three week vacation and replaces Clifton after his contract expires after the 2011 season. Clifton is likely to retire after the 2011 season.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Sherrod and Bulaga will make a good tandem of tackles.

GoRavens
04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
12 MIN Christian Ponder Grade: F Analysis: I spit water all over my living room when this went down. First thing I said: "Who let Chilly into the draft room?!"
13 DET Nick Fairley Grade: B Analysis: Has potential to be a bust and the Lions defense would be almost there with a premier CB. On the other hand, he could play as a pro like he did last year. If he does...look out.
14 STL Robert Quinn Grade: D Analysis: I know he looked amazing when he last played. Unfortunately, it feels like that was back in the seventies. I would NEVER spend a top 15 pick on a guy who's a year removed from playing football. That's just crazy. Add in a brain tumor and...yikes. On the other hand, maybe he's Julius Peppers. The very definition of a boom or bust pick. For a team that really needs more impact players, one of any number of UTs would have been better picks, imo.
17 NE Nate Solder Grade: D Analysis: They needed a LT, but they got one who isn't as good as Carimi or Sherrod, who came off the board later. plays soft and is way too raw to be taken this early.
25 SEA James Carpenter Grade: C Analysis: What? Really? It's like Seattle is trolling us with this pick. It's bad. Only gets a C because I think his floor is as a good run-blocking guard. It's unlikely that he's a full-blown bust, but it's more unlikely that he makes a real impact. He's going to have a Robert Gallery career.
26 KC Jon Baldwin Grade: B Analysis: There were much bigger needs, but he's going to be good. His "character concerns" were a joke. Lance Briggs has said thing 100x worse and no one thinks he's a bad character guy. I think if Baldwin had played on a team with a QB, he'd be seen as a sure top 15 pick.
28 NO Mark Ingram Grade: F Analysis: Bad trade for a position they didn't even have a need at. They have two fine backs in Ivory and Thomas. It was a fluke that they were so injured last year. What a knee-jerk move this was...

Vikings: B+
Lions: A-
Rams: B
Pats: B-
Seattle: D
Chiefs: C+
Saints: B+

the natural
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Ponder was less of a reach than Locker or Newton.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Rivera wanted Cam. In fact, I think with any other coach (other than Gus Malzahn) we don't take him