PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to Ryan Mallett Pick?

draftgod
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I've gotta say, this pick really doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, its better than kevin o'connell in the 3rd round, but this is a kid that has starting aspirations. Tom brady is 33 years old and will probably play until at least 38, very possibly even longer. Obviously mallett won't ever be able to the "heir" in new england...he's 22 now and by the time brady retires, he'll be 30. And in terms of a "trade asset"..no one wanted him now. Are they gonna want him later? They know he can throw the ball. There's little he can do to shock people other than be a good teammate and stay out of trouble. Its just hard for me to see this pick . Hoyer was fine at backup. I actually think he landed in the worst spot of all the top qbs.

bored of education
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
i lol'ed 3 times

BuddyCHRIST
04-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Brady might play that long, or he might not. I mean if he wins another ring, I wouldn't blame him if he called it a career in a few. But even still it helps to have talented guys on your team, Brady could always get hurt again and you want a guy you feel can play.

And teams might not want Mallett now but what about in 3 years when he's 25, imagine he's been keeping his nose clean and played well in spot time in NE. Could be another Cassell and get some picks.

Bottom line I think Belicheck believes in BPA and at that point Mallet certainly was, and I think in round 3 you don't have to draft a guy to be your starter. Especially if you have as many picks as the Pats always seem to.

draftgod
04-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Brady might play that long, or he might not. I mean if he wins another ring, I wouldn't blame him if he called it a career in a few. But even still it helps to have talented guys on your team, Brady could always get hurt again and you want a guy you feel can play.

And teams might not want Mallett now but what about in 3 years when he's 25, imagine he's been keeping his nose clean and played well in spot time in NE. Could be another Cassell and get some picks.

Bottom line I think Belicheck believes in BPA and at that point Mallet certainly was, and I think in round 3 you don't have to draft a guy to be your starter. Especially if you have as many picks as the Pats always seem to.

I mulled it...brady isn't wired to walk away from the game. That's why he's tom brady. The guy is wired to be super competitive. Brady and manning aren't retiring until they're bodies break down on them, and I think they are both in decent shape there. And even if mallett keeps his nose clean, he is still a statue pocket passer with questionable decision making under pressure. Those things aren't gonna away. His best shot is if brady gets hurt again but that's not your mindset in drafting. Draft a player that will help you now in the 3rd round.

Iamcanadian
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Couldn't disagree more. Brady like all QB's is just an injury away from losing a season. It can happen at anytime. Backup QB's are an absolute necessity in the NFL.
Mallett obviously has character issues which were serious enough for teams to pass on him even if they were desperate at QB. On NE, he will be with a veteran winning team with real leaders on their roster and just maybe, Mallett can learn from them what it takes to be a successful NFL QB. He can resurrect his career with no pressure to perform immediately, he can mature as a person with good role models around him.
If he takes advantage of his situation, who knows what the future holds for him. Worst case scenario, like Cassels, he gets traded a few years down the road and makes a boat load of money, provided he learns his lessons well.

BigBanger
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm just happy we wont have to hear about Ryan Mallett for another 5 years. Assuming he doesn't get arrested between then and now.

draftgod
04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
What's his market. No one wanted him this year. A big part of it is because the guy is a huge liability in the pocket. If you don't protect him, he's gonna get his ass kicked back there and that's not the kind of guy you hitch your wagon to. Anything can happen in the future but of all the qbs, I believe he's in the sorriest spot. A great spot if he just wants to be rohan davey and collect a ring for nothing and hold the clipboard on a storied franchise, but to be a franchise guy like the other guys...he's at a disadvantage

WCH
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
As a Packer fan, I know that Pats fans don't want to think this; but Mallett was drafted for the same reason that the 49ers traded for Steve Young and the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers: they plan on trading the current starter, if the new guy pans out. In three years, Brady will be a few months away from 37. Does anybody really think he's playing 10 more years? Seriously?

Yes, on the surface, it makes more sense to try to win with the current franchise guy. In practice, it doesn't always work out that way.

draftgod
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
As a Packer fan, I know that Pats fans don't want to think this; but Mallett was drafted for the same reason that the 49ers traded for Steve Young and the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers: they plan on trading the current starter, if the new guy pans out. In three years, Brady will be a few months away from 37. Does anybody really think he's playing 10 more years? Seriously?

Yes, on the surface, it makes more sense to try to win with the current franchise guy. In practice, it doesn't always work out that way.

Is that a joke? Seriously?

WCH
04-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Joe Montana was widely regarded as the GOAT when he was sent to KC, and he could clearly still compete -- after the trade, he took KC to the AFC Championship game.

If it can happen to Joe Montana, it can happen to anybody.

You didn't think that NE made the pick because they wanted to flip the kid for a 2nd in a few years, and stick with their 37 year old QB?

draftgod
04-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Tom brady at 37 years old will still be a top 5 qb. So no, I don't think they trade him because san francisco traded montana. I think they made a BPA pick and probably hope to trade him, but over-estimate his market.

Redruckus81
04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Joe Montana was widely regarded as the GOAT when he was sent to KC, and he could clearly still compete -- after the trade, he took KC to the AFC Championship game.

If it can happen to Joe Montana, it can happen to anybody.

You didn't think that NE made the pick because they wanted to flip the kid for a 2nd in a few years, and stick with their 37 year old QB?

I actually had not thought about it that way but if Mallett pans out I could definitly see it especially because even at 36 or 37 Brady will likely command a high price from a team looking to make a run at a Super Bowl

draftgod
04-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Ryan mallett will not push tom brady out of new england. Not going to happen. Its a crazy thought.

Iamcanadian
04-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Tom brady at 37 years old will still be a top 5 qb. So no, I don't think they trade him because san francisco traded montana. I think they made a BPA pick and probably hope to trade him, but over-estimate his market.

Not so sure, Brady has been bothered by injuries his last 3 years, yes, he played through them but at some point they might take their toll and a drop off in performance could follow. As you get older, the healing process gets longer and the body can begin to breakdown.
I'm sure, Walsh loved Montana just as much as BB loves Brady, but when he began to slip, he was gone, that's the nature of pro football and BB isn't one to hang on.
Sure, they could trade Mallett too if he doesn't develop as hoped, but right now he is a very cheap 2nd stringer who will be tied up for around 4 years, at that point BB can make a decision about which direction to go.

niel89
04-30-2011, 01:34 AM
They in no way took Mallett to replace Brady. They weren't even targeting a Qb and then one just fell into their lap at a good value. Could he possibly replace Brady down the line? Yes. Are the actively looking for Bradys replacement? Hell no.

draftgod
04-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Not so sure, Brady has been bothered by injuries his last 3 years, yes, he played through them but at some point they might take their toll and a drop off in performance could follow. As you get older, the healing process gets longer and the body can begin to breakdown.
I'm sure, Walsh loved Montana just as much as BB loves Brady, but when he began to slip, he was gone, that's the nature of pro football and BB isn't one to hang on.
Sure, they could trade Mallett too if he doesn't develop as hoped, but right now he is a very cheap 2nd stringer who will be tied up for around 4 years, at that point BB can make a decision about which direction to go.

The nfl mvp...I don't see much of a drop off in play. He does tend to have an injury you don't find out about until he gets it operated on in the off-season but if there's no drop-off in play, there's no evidence that a slip is imminent. I see no evidence he won't be the same qb in 3 years.

umphrey
04-30-2011, 01:43 AM

Also for the same reason we drafted Brian Brohm...probably the most accurate

Iamcanadian
04-30-2011, 01:44 AM
The nfl mvp...I don't see much of a drop off in play. He does tend to have an injury you don't find out about until he gets it operated on in the off-season but if there's no drop-off in play, there's no evidence that a slip is imminent. I see no evidence he won't be the same qb in 3 years.

Favre showed no signs 2 years ago but last year we all saw that injuries had at last taken a real toll.
Not saying it is imminent, but 3 years is a long time in pro football.

draftgod
04-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah favre is about 10 years older and takes a million more hits than brady. Bad comparison. I don't think you'll see a big dip in play until he hits 38 or 39. Manning isn't regressing at all and he's older than brady. Along the same lines, manning looks like he won't be succeeded until he's 44.

WCH
04-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Manning isn't regressing at all and he's older than brady. Along the same lines, manning looks like he won't be succeeded until he's 44.

1. Manning can't do some the things that he could do even a few years a ago.

2. Do you know how few even remotely elite QBs have played to 39?

draftgod
04-30-2011, 02:15 AM
1. What would that be? He can still make all the throws. He is still interchangeable with bady as the top QB in the league. I don't see a difference in the guy.

2. Manning isn't "remotely elite", he's elite. And the elite guys tend to play forever. Joe montana, steve young, troy aikman, brett favre, dan marino, john elway. Every situation is different... steve young & aikman concussions, marino's knees couldn't go any longer, elway decided he had nothing else to prove to wanted to pursue business projects, but the common denominator is these guys don't walk away from the game at 35. Their bodies either quit on them or they play until their satisfied with walking away. Brady and manning I believe are in pretty good shape for their age.

WCH
04-30-2011, 02:29 AM
1. What would that be? He can still make all the throws. He is still interchangeable with bady as the top QB in the league. I don't see a difference in the guy.

2. Manning isn't "remotely elite", he's elite. And the elite guys tend to play forever. Joe montana, steve young, troy aikman, brett favre, dan marino, john elway. Every situation is different... steve young & aikman concussions, marino's knees couldn't go any longer, elway decided he had nothing else to prove to wanted to pursue business projects,

Errr...Concussions and knees? And these guys play forever? It seems that these guys play until their bodies start to break down, and then they quit.

And for the record: Brady is the best in the NFL at this point. Manning struggles to make some of the amazing throws he made a couple of seasons ago. Age happens.

Raiderz4Life
04-30-2011, 02:30 AM

lol your post...in all honesty...wasn't much better imo....made me lol a bit though

bigbluedefense
04-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Love the pick. What did they have to lose? The guy could potentially be a steal, and if he's a bust, big deal, you spent a 3rd on him.

NE was the best place for Mallett to go. He can learn how to move his stone feet the way Brady does, he gets structure, and he learns from the best.

If he is a F up, big deal, cut him. He was a 3rd round pick. But if he's a steal, you just found your replacement for Brady in 3 years.

Brady is 35...he can't play forever. This was a great pick by Bellichick. The only pick of his that was a good pick in my eyes.

And in the case that Brady can play well into 40, you trade Mallett for a 1st in the future if he's the real deal.

So what's the problem? Low risk, very high reward potential. It was an excellent pick.

Matthew Jones
04-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Very good pick. I look at it as an investment. They could afford to take a risk and potentially land either a stud QB in waiting a la Rodgers, or showcase him a few times in preseason/blowouts and trade him for a very high draft pick in the future. His physical tools make him appealing, and if Tom Brady continues to dominate a few years down the road, they can trade him for a very high draft pick. I see him as the next Schaub/Cassel/Kolb in terms of backup QBs with high trade value. Mallett has much more in terms of physical tools than those guys ever did, too.

regoob2
04-30-2011, 07:53 AM
My initial reaction was: Wow the Patriots are amazing at the draft.

luckyjackaubrey
04-30-2011, 08:20 AM
I get all the reasons why it makes sense to take the shot with a 3rd round pick. I just dont see the odds being in favor of it succeeding. Following an icon is very difficult. You are measured against on field production and how that QB was percieved as a person, as a member of the community, and as the face of the franchise.

One team wins the Super Bowl every year. The rest of us still support our teams through long periods of frustration - largely attributed to how connected we are to the players on our team. In short we are fans. I for one cannot imagine having to root for a team led by a QB who has shown that he makes bad decisions on a fairly regular basis.

I believe he will get good coaching, will have a great role model to emulate, but in the end the raw material that the project begins with is flawed. It wont end well for Ryan Mallet in NE. Brady is not only succesful, but respected and loved by the fans of the team. Having those kinds of pressures will make it very difficult to succeed. He hasnt shown that kind of character to fight through all that. Steve Young did, Aaron Rodgers did. Imagine being that kid (whoever he is) that has to replace Brady. It goes beyond the football field and nothing that has been said or written about Mallet off the field speaks to a person who is prepared for that journey.

GoRavens
04-30-2011, 08:24 AM
I wasn't surprised.
Who better to grab a huge potential/huge project than a dynasty franchise with a Hall of Fame QB towards the end of his career.
Excellent move, New England has consistently been one of the top 3 drafting teams for the last decade.
There is no better environment for Mallett, he must be thrilled.
Learn from the best coaches, and the best QB, ride the bench for the first 3 years of his career and not to mention winning some rings

Matthew Jones
04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I wasn't surprised.
Who better to grab a huge potential/huge project than a dynasty franchise with a Hall of Fame QB towards the end of his career.
Excellent move, New England has consistently been one of the top 3 drafting teams for the last decade.
There is no better environment for Mallett, he must be thrilled.
Learn from the best coaches, and the best QB, ride the bench for the first 3 years of his career and not to mention winning some rings

We have a nice drug scene on the team too...Brandon Tate, Aaron Hernandez, Nick Kaczur, Brandon Spikes...just kidding. Sort of.

SolidGold
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
The Pats spent a third rounder on Kevin O'Connell a few years ago so this isnt unprecedented.

luckyjackaubrey
04-30-2011, 08:32 AM
No truth to the rumours that Pat Patriot will have a drug sniffing German sheppard as a sidekick at all home games...

FUNBUNCHER
04-30-2011, 09:29 AM
This IMO will end in either a 1st rounder in 2014 for the Pats, or Brady's eventual successor.

As for people saying Ryan Mallett makes bad decisions on the football field, if had played mistake free football last season, Arkansas would have been undefeated and in the NC game.

Mallett played pretty damn good last year, he needs to work on making better late game decisions with the football and not gamble so much with the game on the line. But he's also won a lot of games late with that same 'let it rip' mentality.

Really can't think of a better situation for him, other than being selected by a team that viewed him as an immediate starter.

Reason why I feel riding the bench after being selected in the 3rd is good for Mallett is because if there is any lingering possibility that he may have a desire to 'partake', seeing all the scrubs selected before him while he's regulated to backup status should burn into his long term memory his career is at stake if he ever slips.

NFL FOs are filled with cowards.

SolidGold
04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Have to agree with Funbuncher....it blows my mind how dumb some NFL decision makers are...Cam Newton is able to go first overall but Mallet drops all the way to the third round. I wish him the best in NE and think he is going into a good situation.

RealityCheck
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
You know what? I love it.

Brady is getting older, he won't be there forever. The value on the pick was outstanding. Easily the best pick made by us in a day where we drafted ******* Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley.

M.O.T.H.
04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
It's a good value pick, I guess...but I dont see him ever starting for them. Ole Brady and Peyton will probably play until their 40, or damn close.

jrdrylie
04-30-2011, 09:59 AM
It's kind of funny (also kind of sad) that Patriot fans think Bellichick would never get rid of Brady. There is no loyalty in the NFL. Only two things matter: making money and winning championships. In three years, the Patriots will be able to get at least a first (maybe more) from some team for Brady. If Mallett stays clean and shows he has starting ability, I'd be surprised if Brady isn't moved because the picks that Bellichick receives for Brady will possibly contribute for 10-12 years opposed to a year or two of good play from Brady.

FUNBUNCHER
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Brady IMO is almost 'untouchable', even for Belichick. Outside of a near-career ending injury, I don't think BB can check his 'chart', decide that Brady is too old and cut him. Brady either walks away from the game or gets carried away on a stretcher, Belichick is not the one who's going to bench Tom Terrific.

It will be interesting to see in 3-4 years, when Mallett is READY and Brady is 37-38 yrs old, who blinks first.

EvilNixon
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
He could have beaten Campbell out this year....=(

Nikolas
04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Mallet is obviously a "long-term" pick for the Pats. By grabbing him the Pats do three things: They prevent another team from getting a potentially good QB, they set themselves up with a decent backup should Brady get hurt (which can and will happen), and they can convert him in the future to a better pick if he works out well. He's Matt Cassel 2.0.

nepg
04-30-2011, 06:18 PM
It was a great pick. I was extremely happy when I saw the name scroll across the screen. He's the #2 QB in this draft behind Locker and should have been a Top 5 pick.

If you're wondering what his mindset is going to be going into New England, go listen to the teleconference at patriots.com. Belichick loves him. Called him a film and study junkie.

He knows his place with this team and has a great attitude about it. He's not the least bit disappointed to be going to New England. His mindset is that sitting behind Brady will extend his career. Which is true.

bruschis4all
04-30-2011, 06:27 PM
It's kind of funny (also kind of sad) that Patriot fans think Bellichick would never get rid of Brady. There is no loyalty in the NFL. Only two things matter: making money and winning championships. In three years, the Patriots will be able to get at least a first (maybe more) from some team for Brady. If Mallett stays clean and shows he has starting ability, I'd be surprised if Brady isn't moved because the picks that Bellichick receives for Brady will possibly contribute for 10-12 years opposed to a year or two of good play from Brady.

I'm a Pats fan. Agree with you. If Brady's play slips, I could see him getting traded. I like Mallett as a potential trade chip. As others mentioned, keep your nose clean(literally) and learn a pro-system. He really blew his draft stock with his off-field stuff. Should have been a top 10 pick. It's about throwing the ball in the NFL. Not running it. When you watch Jake Locker attempt to throw the ball, then watch Mallett chuck it. There's no debate who should be the better prospect.

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 06:46 PM
It totally clashes with everything we're trying to do inside the locker room. I really couldn't dislike this pick any more and openly hope it blows up on them to teach them a lesson. I try to be more objective than this, but I truly feel that strongly about this. One of the reasons I started supporting this team and this coaching staff besides geographic location was because they AVOIDED guys like Mallet.

It doesn't make sense from a football perspective either, really. Mallet is about the worst fit in this draft for our system as it's presently constituted. It creates stupid **** that we shouldn't have to deal with, such as this thread(not saying it shouldn't be made, just washing it didn't have to be). Blaaahhh.

BlindSite
04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
It's a smart pick, at worst it's a wasted pick in the middle of the draft, at best he's the starting quarterback in 2-3 years for the next decade.

I have no doubt that BB loves Tom Brady, but if he hits 36 and has significantly lost something, he'll be traded or cut or otherwise removed, Belichick doesn't have a massive amount of loyalty if there's another option.

This is just a smart move, hell if Brady can play till he's 40, then give mallet a couple of pre-season games and the late-in-the-year meaningless games to garner trade bait.

nepg
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM
It totally clashes with everything we're trying to do inside the locker room. I really couldn't dislike this pick any more and openly hope it blows up on them to teach them a lesson. I try to be more objective than this, but I truly feel that strongly about this. It doesn't make sense from a football perspective either, really.

Mallet is about the worst fit in this draft for our system as it's presently constituted. It creates stupid **** that we shouldn't have to deal with, such as this thread(not saying it shouldn't be made, just washing it didn't have to be). Blaaahhh.

What? He's a great fit in the system (almost perfect, actually). And I really don't see how he's going to cause any problems. He and Belichick already have a great relationship, and that's one of the few lockerrooms in the NFL where you can bring in a guy with maturity issues and just not worry about it.

He's going to continue to tighten up his mechanics and improve his footwork in the pocket (his only weaknesses as a player). He's already got a great work ethic, and that will continue as he tries to keep up with Brady. I thought he showed the best leadership of any of the QBs in this draft as well.

I've said on more than a few occaisions that they're probably happy with their current DL considering the youth and production they got out of an injured unit last year (and they weren't upgrading over any of those guys in the third round). And we should know by now that they don't value OLBs that highly. They think the guys they have are right for what they want to do.

Nalej
04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
out of curiosity, were you this pissed when they traded for moss? or dillon?

No. No.... but I liked the Mallett pick.
I can't wait for C.Carter to lead the league in sacks in a couple of years
and BB will laugh at all of you who doubted his draft assessment (like me)

On a serious note, I expect E.Moore (OLB/DE on roster) to improve my leaps and bounds

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM

That's a really fair point(and I fully acknowledge that I'm being more emotional than objective here, so ignore me if that's the best thing), but I still think it's a different animal. Moss and Dillon were calculated risks at position that you can afford to take a risk with. It's a whole different game with quarterbacks. Scott has explained multiple times about how you want your quarterback to be held to a different standard. In my opinion, Ryan Mallet does not meet that standard. A whole ton of teams in the NFL agree with me on that point too. If he's worth passing on more than four times, I don't see any reason to take him the next time down the pipe because of "value lulz".

Maybe if we had a better day I would be in a better mood with this one. But leaving valuable defenders on the board and selecting consecutive runningbacks basically put me on my draft period in regards to Mallet, a guy whom I had extremely strong feelings about anyway.

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 07:13 PM
If it were just the drugs, I might be inclined to agree with you there....but it's not. The best quote I've ever heard about a prospect of all time was the "he thinks he's Eminem". Now, I'm taking the liberty of assuming that's as negative as the implication is, but there's other stuff too. There's a whole ton of smoke out there about him having negative traits in addition to the drug issues. I'm not saying we need our quarterback to be a politician(actually, I might. Legit think that's for the better) but there's got to be more than one reason that quarterback needy teams had him COMPLETELY off their boards. Not just sort of not interested, completely off their boards.

I will say however(I'm not changing my tune on this, I'm sick of justifying anything about Patriots draft picks) that he either looked very humbled at his press conference. Or like he was pouting. If he wants to be a successful NFL quarterback, he better hope it's the first and not the latter.

proshoota25
04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
No. No.... but I liked the Mallett pick.
I can't wait for C.Carter to lead the league in sacks in a couple of years
and BB will laugh at all of you who doubted his draft assessment (like me)

On a serious note, I expect E.Moore (OLB/DE on roster) to improve my leaps and bounds

chris carter isnt on the team.... if thats what you think? We drafted Markell Carter, not chris hahaha

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Hey! Shawn Crable will finally be healthy this year! What's that...it's not the last four years anymore...oh...OK.

niel89
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I think its a good risk to take at that point, but I'm not gonna act like Mallett was a guy who fell for no reason. There are legit reasons that QB needy teams passed on him as many as 3 times. I think that he could be the successor to Brady or becomes great trade bait, but he could also be quickly dragged down by his character concerns.

luckyjackaubrey
04-30-2011, 09:05 PM

I'm not going to re hash all I have said on the topic, but Yes, I was one of the few who was vocally apposed to the Moss signing. I have posted comments very much in line with those of EE on the Mallet signing in this thread and in the Pats thread.

I am a bit older than most of the posters and my loyalty to the Pats over the last 35 years has survived more bad years than good. I root for them regardless of records because I relate to and respect them and the ideal of being a team.

I want Super Bowls just as any fan of any team does, but those number three in close to four decades. I get enjoyment from more than trophies. I like pointing to teams fighting through adversity and being dedicated to being their best, and holding those examples up to my kids as models of what is the proper way to maximize potential.

I have made some of the mistakes Mallet is accused of or perceived to have committed. That is not my problem with his selection. We all make mistakes. He just strikes me as having that air of entitlement that is creeping into our world these days.

My problem is that Brady is more than just a qb around NE. posters have said Bb has no loyalty and will drop him at the first sign of significant decline. Bb is powerful in NE but not all powerful. Bob Kraft is a business man and he realizes the iconic stature of the player in question. He would not easily let BB make such a move. It is one of those that will reach beyond the field.

Mallet's makeup does not suit the situation if you are looking at him as the heir apparent to Brady. That is a big set of shoes to fill. If we were talking about Locker dropping to the 3rd that is the perfect pupil. When comments like "it will be an honor to sit and learn behind him" were to come out of that mouth, it would be believable. His make up would lend itself to success in following such a player.

BaLLiN
04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
chris carter isnt on the team.... if thats what you think? We drafted Markell Carter, not chris hahaha

lol he went to the steelers, but i do think chris carter is gunna be pretty good and its a very good fit for them.

luckyjackaubrey
04-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Amen to that. And if anyone can get Al Davis on the phone I can arrange a deal involving Merriweather for a future first round...never mind...

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Jack really said it well, I can get behind all of that for sure.

i get the argument that maybe the pick should've been spent on a pass rusher or DL, but it seems clear that wasn't part of the draft plan and i see no reason to believe that would've been any different had mallett gone a pick before yours.
Part of it has a lot to do with this. If he had addressed our needs the way we should have during the draft, this would be a lot more acceptable. I've posted in the Patriots forum that BB still drafts like we're the defending Super Bowl champions...with the exception of last year. This is that type of pick exemplified. Drafting Mallet with defensive talent that can help you compete at a higher level next year has just as much value to me as developing a quarterback for the future(most likely to be traded for draft picks). Significantly more if you're thinking Super Bowls...which we should be. We're never going to be a bet the farm and trade up team like the Jets or others, but there's certainly a balance that could be achieved fairly easily.

descendency
04-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I definitely agree with the sentiment about Brady. I'm definitely not saying throw him out. I just think a lot of people are looking at mistakes a college kid made and projecting them into Mallett's future. Mallett LOVES football. Rumor is that he's one of the top chalk talk QBs from this draft.

Mallett has similar deficiencies to what was corrected in Brady. The only difference is that Mallett isn't being coached by Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels.

If Mallett learns from Brady, like I think he will try to do - this could be a scary scary pick. Imagine Tom Brady with a cannon for an arm. . .

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Mallett has similar deficiencies to what was corrected in Brady. The only difference is that Mallett isn't being coached by Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels.

If Mallett learns from Brady, like I think he will try to do - this could be a scary scary pick. Imagine Tom Brady with a cannon for an arm. . .

You're talking the release path. I heard that one too. It's coming from Teddy though. Lord knows I love Teddy, but he's not the best judge of quarterbacks.

I just don't see many good positive qualities in Mallet beyond arm strength in the first place. I don't like his feet, I don't like his feel for the rush, and most importantly I think his accuracy deficiencies have been lost in the shuffle for some reason. I don't see the massive strides made to correct those problems from his Sophomore year like some do. I see a guy that's going to struggle putting the ball where in needs to be at times still. Some of that is correctable, but almost all critical flaws are correctable....they just rarely end up being corrected. Most importantly, I don't see a guy who goes through progressions well...or quickly for that matter.

That's part of my problem with this all. I don't think Mallet is a good fit for what we like to do in the passing game.

descendency
04-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Brady had bad feet coming out of Michigan. He routinely threw across his body or off the back of his feet. One of the things that helped his arm strength was correcting that.

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Brady and improvement are always the exception and not the rule. It's not like we're this bastion of quarterback success. We've brought in mechanical projects before and had them fail. I just don't think we're the ones who are going to fix this guys flaws as a football player magically like people are assuming that we will.

The only position I'm legitimately convinced we're magical with is offensive linemen. That's not just because we took a project either. We've really coached some poor players into acceptable ones before. Remains to be seen how well we'll do with high upside, toolsy guys like Cannon and Solder, but I feel pretty good about that.

WCH
04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Brady IMO is almost 'untouchable', even for Belichick.

Joe Montana. Brett Favre.

Brady isn't untouchable. People just think that he is because he's still at the height of his fame.

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Brady is untouchable by any means. He's as close as it gets, but no one in the business of professional football is untouchable. Your coaching staff and front office should be fired on the spot if they believe otherwise.

Roddoliver
04-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Horrible situation for Ryan Mallett. He played in a pro-style offense and throws the ball better than any QB in this class. I am sure he wanted to join a team that needed a franchise QB. A chance to compete for the job from day one. Mallett will rot behind Tom Brady until he gets traded, and then he will have to learn a whole new system.

descendency
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Brady and improvement are always the exception and not the rule. It's not like we're this bastion of quarterback success. We've brought in mechanical projects before and had them fail. I just don't think we're the ones who are going to fix this guys flaws as a football player magically like people are assuming that we will.

Yeah. I just feel Mallett really wants to be successful. Cassel was traded for a high pick. Someone will want Brian Hoyer soon. Kevin O'Connell was rumored to not take football serious. I'm not saying this is guarantee, but I think it was definitely worth the risk. Obviously, the Patriots hate drafting pass rushers, so we might as well take risks on high upside guys.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
That's the view I'm trying to take with it. Kevin O'Connell. A guy we're bringing in because other teams are intrigued and might be willing to part with an asset at some point down the road. People forget it, but O'Connell had some NFL GM's extremely intrigued when he came out of SDSU his arm strength and athletic ability...it just didn't work out for whatever reason.

I just really had very strong feelings about Ryan Mallett the football player and off the field the entire time.

nepg
05-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Horrible situation for Ryan Mallett. He played in a pro-style offense and throws the ball better than any QB in this class. I am sure he wanted to join a team that needed a franchise QB. A chance to compete for the job from day one. Mallett will rot behind Tom Brady until he gets traded, and then he will have to learn a whole new system.

Disagree completely. Mallett will fluorish with Brady and O'Brien. He's a hard worker and a competitior. He's going to continue to improve his mechanics (people either ignore or don't realize how far he's come since his time at Michigan), and take his game to the next level as he tries to keep up with Brady.

Teams will be crashing down the doors in Foxboro trying to strike a deal for Mallett within two years.

descendency
05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey! Shawn Crable will finally be healthy this year! What's that...it's not the last four years anymore...oh...OK.

I'm just going to repeat a rumor I heard: The Patriots lied about him being hurt to give him time to develop because he sucked so bad. Supposedly, there was nothing wrong with him.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm just going to repeat a rumor I heard: The Patriots lied about him being hurt to give him time to develop because he sucked so bad. Supposedly, there was nothing wrong with him.

I believe it. Sadly, he actually did quite well when he was finally on the field for us last year. I really thought he played with a spark. The fact he got completely washed out on the run just completely destroyed all of his value in the NFL though. Chicken legs.

Bucs_Rule
05-01-2011, 11:10 AM
When QBs get well into their 30s the chances they get injured goes way up. Making it much more important to have a capable backup.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Why do people keep saying "no one wanted him now"? No one wanted him before round 2, why does that even matter? That has nothing to do with what his value will be like in 3-4 years. Some of you bashing Mallett act as if none of his issues can be corrected ever and he'll always be the same guy that he is now when that's not true of any QB ever, not sure why it would be in his case.

He's gonna be running the same offense here in NE with continuity and while I'm not an offensive guru, the Arkansas spread offense and what NE runs isn't too different. He gets to learn behind Tom Brady, they get to be patient with him and work on his delivery, and he's not gonna be forced to start his career with bad throwing habits.

It was the best possible situation by a landslide for him to go into, and I've read the Pats were really high on him. I don't think their intending on him to be a replacement, but by his 4th year from just spot work and pre-season play he could net you as high as a few 2nds, or you re-sign him cheaply after his rookie deal and let him take over.

Last time I checked, GB drafted Aaron Rodgers long before Favre retired, sure don't see any downside in that scenario.

Wrathman
05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I thought the Mallett and Cannon selections were two of the smartest picks in this draft. I don't know what happened the rest of the time as the team drafted like they had no holes to fill and could play around with project players. That's two years in a row where (what seems to be) obvious needs were basically ignored.

FUNBUNCHER
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I heard a quote from Tom Brady yesterday about the drafting of Mallett.

Brady: 'I'm gonna play 10 more years!'LOL!

I think this was primarily a move by Belichick to select who he felt was the BPA still on the board, a guy who could potentially be a successor to Brady.

But realistically IMO Belichick was drafting an uber-talented backup QB who he's going to flip for a 1st rounder and additional picks in 2-4 years. Ryan will have to wait a while before he sees an NFL field fulltime, but when he does he should be ready to get it done at a high level.

niel89
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
If Mallett is on the roster in 3 years, he will be a huge commodity. Either for a trade or for a eventual replacement for Brady. He has talent. With 3 years of cultivating his ability in one of the best NFL organizations he could be dangerous. Also if he is still on the team, then that means that he didn't screw up, which is a major concern.

Brown Leader
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Bad fit. He needed to go somewhere with a chance to compete as a starter to keep him focused and on track. No one gives a **** in NE if he flames out on or off the field in three or so. Now he needs to be more self-directed than ever.